Text Box & Border Art

New Publisher 2003 user and getting quickly frustrated.

I have setup a custom page size of 6.5" x 4.5" under Page Setup/Print
Settings.  I then created a text box of the same size, and filled it with the
text I wanted.  I then want to add a border to this text box.  So, I right
click on the text box, and choose Border Art under the Colors and Lines tab,
and select the border "Twisted Lines" and hit apply.  All is good.  Now comes
the trouble.

I hit print preview and about 1/8" around the entire page is cutoff.  All
the margins are set to 0".  I'm at a loss.

I do notice that if I click the text box the ruler at the top now shows that
from 0"-0.125" is greyed out and same from 4"-4.5".  Delete the border art
and it goes back to 0"-4.5".

Any suggestions?
0
MikeC1 (42)

What are the margin limitations of your printer?
http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag

Create a rectangle around the page, Lines, more lines, turn this into your
Twisted Lines BorderArt. Send it to the back. Does that make a difference?

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"MikeC" <MikeC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New Publisher 2003 user and getting quickly frustrated.
>
> I have setup a custom page size of 6.5" x 4.5" under Page Setup/Print
> Settings.  I then created a text box of the same size, and filled it with the
> text I wanted.  I then want to add a border to this text box.  So, I right
> click on the text box, and choose Border Art under the Colors and Lines tab,
> and select the border "Twisted Lines" and hit apply.  All is good.  Now comes
> the trouble.
>
> I hit print preview and about 1/8" around the entire page is cutoff.  All
> the margins are set to 0".  I'm at a loss.
>
> I do notice that if I click the text box the ruler at the top now shows that
> from 0"-0.125" is greyed out and same from 4"-4.5".  Delete the border art
> and it goes back to 0"-4.5".
>
> Any suggestions?

0
mary.sauer (2018)
10/26/2009 10:43:12 AM
OK followed your link, and used Wordpad to figure out the margin limitation
of the printer.....low and behold they are not 0.  I set the layout guides to
those values and scale everything back to be inside those layout guides and
it prints.  But now all the text that's centered on the page, is not centered
inside the scaled back text box, becuase of the margin settings.

How can I force the printer margins to be 0 so I can utilize the entire page?

Doing the rectangle into the border art made no difference using the full
page.

Thanks for your help.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> What are the margin limitations of your printer?
> http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag
>
> Create a rectangle around the page, Lines, more lines, turn this into your
> Twisted Lines BorderArt. Send it to the back. Does that make a difference?
>

> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "MikeC" <MikeC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > New Publisher 2003 user and getting quickly frustrated.
> >
> > I have setup a custom page size of 6.5" x 4.5" under Page Setup/Print
> > Settings.  I then created a text box of the same size, and filled it with the
> > text I wanted.  I then want to add a border to this text box.  So, I right
> > click on the text box, and choose Border Art under the Colors and Lines tab,
> > and select the border "Twisted Lines" and hit apply.  All is good.  Now comes
> > the trouble.
> >
> > I hit print preview and about 1/8" around the entire page is cutoff.  All
> > the margins are set to 0".  I'm at a loss.
> >
> > I do notice that if I click the text box the ruler at the top now shows that
> > from 0"-0.125" is greyed out and same from 4"-4.5".  Delete the border art
> > and it goes back to 0"-4.5".
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>

> .

0
MikeC1 (42)
10/27/2009 1:57:01 AM
MikeC wrote:
> OK followed your link, and used Wordpad to figure out the margin
> limitation of the printer.....low and behold they are not 0.  I set
> the layout guides to those values and scale everything back to be
> inside those layout guides and it prints.  But now all the text
> that's centered on the page, is not centered inside the scaled back
> text box, becuase of the margin settings.
>
> How can I force the printer margins to be 0 so I can utilize the
> entire page?
>
> Doing the rectangle into the border art made no difference using the
> full page.
>
> Thanks for your help.
===============================
What if you pasted your 6.5" x 4.5" project
on an 8.5x11 page and print it? Then you
could cut it out and it would be edge to edge.

--

      J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

            Notice
This is not tech support
      I am a volunteer

 Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

0
oobie1 (130)
10/27/2009 3:50:55 AM
If your stock is 6.5 x 4.5, to get the text centered you need to create the
margins the same all around. If your largest margin is .5 for example then in
the Arrange menu, Layout guides, set all the margins at .5.
You also need to setup your printer for the custom size.

--

> OK followed your link, and used Wordpad to figure out the margin limitation
> of the printer.....low and behold they are not 0.  I set the layout guides to
> those values and scale everything back to be inside those layout guides and
> it prints.  But now all the text that's centered on the page, is not centered
> inside the scaled back text box, becuase of the margin settings.
>
> How can I force the printer margins to be 0 so I can utilize the entire page?
>
> Doing the rectangle into the border art made no difference using the full
> page.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> What are the margin limitations of your printer?
>> http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag
>>
>> Create a rectangle around the page, Lines, more lines, turn this into your
>> Twisted Lines BorderArt. Send it to the back. Does that make a difference?
>>

>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "MikeC" <MikeC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > New Publisher 2003 user and getting quickly frustrated.
>> >
>> > I have setup a custom page size of 6.5" x 4.5" under Page Setup/Print
>> > Settings.  I then created a text box of the same size, and filled it with
>> > the
>> > text I wanted.  I then want to add a border to this text box.  So, I right
>> > click on the text box, and choose Border Art under the Colors and Lines
>> > tab,
>> > and select the border "Twisted Lines" and hit apply.  All is good.  Now
>> > comes
>> > the trouble.
>> >
>> > I hit print preview and about 1/8" around the entire page is cutoff.  All
>> > the margins are set to 0".  I'm at a loss.
>> >
>> > I do notice that if I click the text box the ruler at the top now shows
>> > that
>> > from 0"-0.125" is greyed out and same from 4"-4.5".  Delete the border art
>> > and it goes back to 0"-4.5".
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>>

>> .

0
mary.sauer (2018)
10/27/2009 9:28:10 AM
MikeC wrote:
> OK followed your link, and used Wordpad to figure out the margin limitation
> of the printer.....low and behold they are not 0.  I set the layout guides to
> those values and scale everything back to be inside those layout guides and
> it prints.  But now all the text that's centered on the page, is not centered
> inside the scaled back text box, becuase of the margin settings.

You can impose symmetry back on the situation by using the larger of
each pair of values - e.g. if top is 0.5" and bottom is 1", then set
both top and bottom to 1".

> How can I force the printer margins to be 0 so I can utilize the entire page?

Typically you can't, that's the point of finding out the limitations.
The only (partial) exception is if your printer supports borderless
printing.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org

Set up the layout guide for the specific margin values mentioned.  Formatted
the text box to be the exact size of the layout guide.  Setup the printer
(Canon MP530 inkjet) for a custom paper size of 6.5" x 4.5".

Layout looks great!!  Until...I press print preview.  The preview screen
(and confirmed by actually printing) shows that the top and left side margin
are LARGER than I specified, so the entire layout is not centered.  Press the
close button to get back to the editing screen, and everything is centered.

What's going on?  Why is this so difficult?
Mike

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> If your stock is 6.5 x 4.5, to get the text centered you need to create the
> margins the same all around. If your largest margin is .5 for example then in
> the Arrange menu, Layout guides, set all the margins at .5.
> You also need to setup your printer for the custom size.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "MikeC" <MikeC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK followed your link, and used Wordpad to figure out the margin limitation
> > of the printer.....low and behold they are not 0.  I set the layout guides to
> > those values and scale everything back to be inside those layout guides and
> > it prints.  But now all the text that's centered on the page, is not centered
> > inside the scaled back text box, becuase of the margin settings.
> >
> > How can I force the printer margins to be 0 so I can utilize the entire page?
> >
> > Doing the rectangle into the border art made no difference using the full
> > page.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >

> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> What are the margin limitations of your printer?
> >> http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag
> >>
> >> Create a rectangle around the page, Lines, more lines, turn this into your
> >> Twisted Lines BorderArt. Send it to the back. Does that make a difference?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Mary Sauer
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >>
> >> "MikeC" <MikeC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

0
MikeC1 (42)
11/23/2009 12:55:01 AM
Can you actually setup the Canon with a custom size? Have you tried using the
photo setting of 6 x 4 borderless Canon has built in? Have you looked into
Canon's support?

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=ModelTechSpecsTabAct&fcategoryid=123&modelid=13371

--

> Ok will do (I've taken some time away from this project obviously).
>
> Set up the layout guide for the specific margin values mentioned.  Formatted
> the text box to be the exact size of the layout guide.  Setup the printer
> (Canon MP530 inkjet) for a custom paper size of 6.5" x 4.5".
>
> Layout looks great!!  Until...I press print preview.  The preview screen
> (and confirmed by actually printing) shows that the top and left side margin
> are LARGER than I specified, so the entire layout is not centered.  Press the
> close button to get back to the editing screen, and everything is centered.
>
> What's going on?  Why is this so difficult?
> Mike
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> If your stock is 6.5 x 4.5, to get the text centered you need to create the
>> margins the same all around. If your largest margin is .5 for example then in
>> the Arrange menu, Layout guides, set all the margins at .5.
>> You also need to setup your printer for the custom size.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "MikeC" <MikeC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > OK followed your link, and used Wordpad to figure out the margin limitation
>> > of the printer.....low and behold they are not 0.  I set the layout guides
>> > those values and scale everything back to be inside those layout guides and
>> > it prints.  But now all the text that's centered on the page, is not
>> > centered
>> > inside the scaled back text box, becuase of the margin settings.
>> >
>> > How can I force the printer margins to be 0 so I can utilize the entire
>> > page?
>> >
>> > Doing the rectangle into the border art made no difference using the full
>> > page.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.

>> .

0
mary.sauer (2018)

Inserting transparent gifs into document gives white borders
I have used Photoshop to create pictures which have no background (transparent) so that I can put them into Publisher and would see the background of the Publisher file instead of a big white box. I save them as transparent .gif files and can use them in other software just fine. But when I put them into a Publisher document, the white backgrounds come back. When I insert your built in clip-art, this doesn't happen, so I know it's possible to do what I'm trying. What might I be getting wrong? Have you thought about saving the images as .png? Publisher has a transparency ...

Y axis box size incorrect in Excel 2003
I am having a problem; the y-axis box size does not display the entire text. I cannot change the size of this box. This only happens for the y-axis, not for other axis labels or the chart title. I have tried adding spaces followed by a period to fool the box and this works in Excel, but when I copy the chart to a Word document, the full text, including the final period appears. Hi, Details and suggestions can be found on Jon's page. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/AxisLabelCutOff.html Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "lcare...

Automatically finishes entering email into TO box
How do I tell MS Outlook to automatically finish entering into the TO box (sending email)when I begin typing the person to whom I am sending mail? thanks! What version of Outlook? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gem asked: | How do I tell MS Outlook to automatically finish entering | into the TO box (sending email)when I begin typing the | person to whom I am sending mail? | t...

Run a query based on user input to a text box
I am creating a database to manage Auction Bids for a live radio station phone auction weekend. I have a form where the user is entering names as the bidders call in. I want to be able to have entry into a text box cause a query to run and populate a list box so that if a caller has been entered before, the user can click on an existing name. So for example, if the first keystroke is A , then the list box will be populated with all names beginning with A. If the next keystroke is l to give Al then the list box will be repopulated with only names beginning with Al (e.g. Alice, Aliso...

Two message boxes
I have two message boxes that fire off when I am going to print a report to determine what will show up on the report as far as fields. The first message box is to hide the customer price on a quote, if you answer yes it sets a checkbox on the initial form to true. The next message box is to show or hide the changes made to the quote on the report. If I say vbyes to both of the message boxes the customer pricing will not be hidden as the checkbox is getting set back to false. I am not sure why it is toggling, but it works if I answer yes to the first and no to hte second. It may ...

Text is added as attachment after copy and paste
Hi I am using outlook 2000 and every time I want to copy and paste text from somewhere else (e.g. browser), it adds the content as an html-page-attachment to my new mail. I just want to have it added as simple text in the mail-body regards R. Save the text in notepad or something and then Insert the file - but check the button so it inserts it as text, not just as an attachment ;-) r@gnar.de wrote: > Hi > > I am using outlook 2000 and every time I want to copy and paste text > from somewhere else (e.g. browser), it adds the content as an > html-page-attachment to my new ...

populating an Access table from a text file
A text file has data in a format like the below: Title1 Cell 1 data Title 2 Cell 2 data Title 3 Cell 3 data .. .. .. Title 10 Cell 10 data Title 11 Cell 11 data .. .. .. Title 15 Cell 15 data .. .. .. Title N Cell N data I guess I can read this using some VBA code posted at http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0057.htm and http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/readtextfile.htm, add an Instr function to it so that when I read the text file, I know when to insert the data properly in the table. 1. Is there another way I can directly import the data into an Access 2...

Border Color
I have an excel sheet containing several borders with varying line styles. The color of these is automatic (black). I wish to change to 50% grey. The format/cell/border menu does not appear to allow wholesale change of color. Changing them individually is not an option, since it would take a long time. Please help! Manhar, Here is some code to do it. Select all your cells, then run this code With Selection .Borders(xlEdgeLeft).ColorIndex = 48 .Borders(xlEdgeTop).ColorIndex = 48 .Borders(xlEdgeBottom).ColorIndex = 48 .Borders(xlEdgeRight).ColorI...

Borders
When I try to draw a border around a cell, it appears in a very faint shade of grey, almost indistinguishable from the normal gridlines. How can I change the default colour of a border to black? I know how to do it manually for each cell, but I want to know how to change the default colour for the borders icon on the format bar. Thanks On Feb 10, 1:45 pm, "Kieron Capehorn" <kcapehornR.E,M- O'...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > When I try to draw a border around a cell, it appears in a very faint shade > of grey, almost indistinguishable from the normal gridlines....

Name Drop-Down Box
I've got a 50 sheet excel document and i want to create names to get m to A1 on every page, so I don't have to scroll left and right all th time. So, here's my problem. I would like to increase the number of names shown when i click th drop down box. Right now it shows 7, in Office 2003. I would love t increase that to show 50, or else I�m not really getting th functionality I�m looking for. I think this will take some kind of registry tweak. Does anyone know how/where I can? Thanks in advance, Chri -- cbh3571 ----------------------------------------------------------------...

help on combo box...
i have a combo box cbPayee... on top of the list is "add new payee..." below which are the other names ...how can i enable it that when the 1st row is selected, a pop-up form wud appear for data entry... thanks... -- ai® Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Use the After Update event of the combo. If Me.cbPayee = "add new payee..." Then 'Do it here Else However, a more common technique is to use the combo's NotInList event for this purpose. Set the combo's Limit To List property to Yes. Delete the "add new payee...&q...

Resizing "comments" boxes in a workbook all at once
I do not know how I did it but all my comments (about 200 of them) defaulted to a size that makes them almost invisible with only the tails showing. The only way I can resize them is by going into each one and change the shape. I gave up after about 50 and I am now desperate for the information contained in all comments boxes. Is there a way of making all the boxes the same size in one go? How did I manage to screw up and how do I avoid doing it again. Thanks Rita You could resize them programmatically. There's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#Re...

= Text formula problem
Hi Everyone, I am using an excel spreadsheet as a linked table in an access database for an update query. I had it working very nicely for a period of time. I am not sure if some Microsoft update caused a problem or what. The field I use t o update my database didn't work until I used this formula to make a new row. I have a column of numbers which was retrieved from a data miner program it's called Acct. For some reason Access doesn't like the formatting so I insert a blank column to the right and call that PtNum. In the first cell of this column which is C2, I type ...

Writing rules: Looking for text string in HTML Body
I am trying to fight SPAM by deleting messages that contain certain text strings in the body. It seems certain SPAM messages run in streaks and I can get hundreds of the same message but I am unable to block them with my SPAM software so I want to write a rule to delete them. Writing a "normal" rule and selecting: "with '<TARGET TEXT>' in the body" may not work on an HTML message if the sender has disguised that text as follows: Displayed text: a new home purchase HTML Code for same: a n<AJZDE>ew home purcha</LAHIOJ>se How can I fil...

How do I save Visio help text boxes as html
I have a Visio process flow containing help text boxes (mouse overs) and hyperlinks that I want to save as a web document (html). When saved, the help text boxes are no longer available. How do I save as html so that they are available? ...

Comment box defaults
Can I change the comment box default font and stop it inserting my name in each box? Peter delete user name from the tools > options > general > delete user name from the tools > options > general and replace with a space To change the default font size (Note: this will change the settings for tooltips in Excel and other programs) -- Right-click on the desktop, and choose Properties On the Appearance tab, click Advanced. From the Item dropdown, choose Tooltip Choose a font Size, click OK, click OK (Note: selecting a font type he...

Changing field sze of labels and text boxes independently
I am using Access 2007. I created a report with the wizard. Now I can't change the size of labels or text boxes without all the fields/labels changing in concert. What do I do to permit changing these things individually? Must be simple, but the help function in Acess 2007 I find not very helpful. On the arrange tab, look for the button for Remove. Highlight the controls and click remove. This will ungroup the controls. Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia "gg" <gg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92DDB6...

how do i show text in the data field of a pivot table?
If you put a text field into the data area of a pivot table, it will summarize the field to show a count, instead of showing the text. You can place the text fields in the Row, Column or Page areas, where their text will show. pum75 wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

how to set value of text bounded on combo box?
Hi, I have a combo box with row sours of a table, and there is a text box. What I want to do is once the user selects a value from the combo box, the text box should be filled by a specific data. For example, the combo box has list of names, and once the user select the name; the text box shows the phone number of the selected name automatically. Note: both the name and phone number are in the same table. How can I do that? Make sure that the query for the combobox returns both the name and phone number. The Phone number does not have to be visible in the combobox. In the combobox A...

Excel name boxes
How do I change or delete a name in an Excel name box? (A name box is the white rectangle in the upper left corner of an Excel page that shows the cell address, e.g. Q143. You can change the 'name' of the cell from the cell address to a description, e.g. Sales-Other and click it from a drop down menu at the name box instead of scrolling to it.) You're referring to a named range. On the main menu, click >Insert >Name >Define. The full population of named ranges will show in the drop down: you can edit, delete, expand etc from that list. To change or delete a name: ...

convert month text (MAR) to month number (3)
I am trying to work with a data set that unfortunately has spit out all the dates in a text format - i.e. 03/01/2009 is MAR 3 2009. Is there a way to convert that text date to an actual date format? Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200912/1 Debug.Print CDate("MAR 3 2009") = 3/3/2009 One problem with the CDate function is that it will bomb out on things that can't be evaluated as a date. Therefore you may want to use the IsDate fun...

Text after non-breaking space truncated: Publisher 2003 WinXP
Hello All, Watch out folks! If you are using non-breaking spaces in your Pub docs and edit your story in Work (Edit-->Edit Story in Word), beware that the character after the non-breaking space is truncated. Also, when you close the Word edit window and return to Pub the characters are truncated in the original Pub doc. Kinda scary. If some one has time, can you test it and see if you get the same behavior. Thanks in advance ...

Writing to a text file from different SUBrouteens
I open a file using "job" as my file handler, but no other 'sub' can see the file handler. The debugger stops with the error "object required" Public Sub make_job_file() ' create GEO_FILE Dim fso, f1, job Const ForWriting = 2 Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") fso.CreateTextFile ("geo_job.job") Set f1 = fso.GetFile("geo_job.job") Set job = f1.OpenAsTextStream(ForWriting, True) End Sub Sub jobname() job_name = InputBox("input Job Name", "Job Name", job_name, 100, 1) job.WriteLine "...

Change Message Box vb
I want to change this code so as that when you select OK it stops the operation of the button! Thanks for any help...Bob ......... If recHorseOwners.EOF = True And recHorseOwners.BOF = True Then recHorseOwners.Close Set recHorseOwners = Nothing MsgBox "This Horse Has No Owner At ALL.", vbApplicationModal + vbOKOnly + vbInformation .Fields("CompanyID") = Nz(recTmpOwner.Fields("CompanyID"), 0) .Fields("InvoiceID") = lngInvoiceID .Fields("HorseID") = val(tbHorseID.value) ...

Angled borders/text and filling in empty cells
Hi, Two quick questions: 1. If you've got a cell formatted with "angled" text (say the orientation is 45 degrees) and you put a side border on that cell, the border also angles. If you want the cell above it, which may or may not have text in it, to have/match the "angled" border like the one below it, how do you do that? 2. If you have a cell range, say A1:G10 with some empty cells and some with data in them, is there a way to fill just the empty cells of that range with a * (or anything for that matter) easily? Thanks! Christina, 1. You can use the ...