sort problems

Using Publisher 2000 and mail merge - large input excel files - sort sequence
is crucial but does not hold. Doing a 20K pice mailing and addresses print
out in basically no sequence at all - I've broken database down to 2000 names
at a time - it will print 10 in sequence, skip 20, print 10 in sequence, skip
10 then eventually goes back and randomly picks up skipped addresses. I know
the file is sorted going in. With mailings this big, this is a MAJOR problem.
Anyone know what's happening here. How to solve?

Help from Ed Bennett, MVP

Adjust the Mail Merge Batch Size.

There is a way you can set the number of records per batch using the
Registry (fix courtesy of KATMA)

Open registry using regedit.exe

Go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\<Pub Version>.0
\Publisher\Printing

Create new "string value" called:
NumberOfRecordsPerBatch

Double click and set a value for your batch size.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"MyPrinterLady" <MyPrinterLady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using Publisher 2000 and mail merge - large input excel files - sort sequence
> is crucial but does not hold. Doing a 20K pice mailing and addresses print
> out in basically no sequence at all - I've broken database down to 2000 names
> at a time - it will print 10 in sequence, skip 20, print 10 in sequence, skip
> 10 then eventually goes back and randomly picks up skipped addresses. I know
> the file is sorted going in. With mailings this big, this is a MAJOR problem.
> Anyone know what's happening here. How to solve?

0
mary-sauer (6480)

problems opening an url
Hello out there, In Excel 2000 I used to open an url to update data from this page: http://epp.eurostat.cec.eu.int/portal/page?_pageid=1996,39140985&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&screen=detailref&language=fr&product=_STRIND&root=STRIND/strind/enviro/en031") This page contains first some text and then a table with data in it. In Excel XP and 2003 this no longer seems to work. The page Excel, is opening, does not contain the complete html page (only the first lines of text). When you open the same url with a browser , you can see the complete page. Is it a bug or...

Import problem
I have been asked to try and solve a problem that a friend has. (Please try and ignore the workflow - I have suggested other ways of doing it but he won't have it!). He has a spreadsheet containing around 1500 entries. These consist of club members with an exclusive reference number each. My friend is responsible for the overall membership but sends a copy of the file to another person who operates within it month to month. At the end of the period the file is sent back to my friend with new members etc. and my friend then wants to import it into his file (which he has been amending...

multi user problem on small vista lan
I have three new pcs running vista business and I installed office 2007 on each. I put Access FE on each pc and BE in a public folder on one of the PCs with full control permissions for everyone on the public folder. Why can only one person on each pc get into access at any one time? Possible reasons: 1. No permission to create the LDB file 2. One user opening in Exclusive mode 3. The file may need to be in a Trusted Location 4. You may need to sacrifice a chicken. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "davidve&qu...

Sorting in Excel 2003
When I sort columns that contain blank cells, Excel throws them down to the bottom. Is there any way to get them to appear at the top of the sort? Hi, You could try replacing the blanks with a space by clicking Crtl + H then leave go straight to replace with. Click in cell and press the space bar once. Then sort Ascending order VBA Noob -- VBA Noob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33833 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=561267...

CRM E-mail problem
Hi all, I have installed the CRM E-mail Router on our Exchange 2000 server for our CRM server ver 1.0. But when i tried to send a Mail from CRM web client it displays me error report telling that "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator. " When I check the Event Log of CRM Server, it shows the error as "HTTP status: 403" with Event ID 2 see below Event Log: Event Type: Error Event Source: Microsoft CRM Event Category: None Event ID: 2 Date: 1/24/2004 Time: 4:55:13 PM User: N/A Computer: CRM-SRV Description: MSCRM Platform ...

Sorting messages in the inbox
I am used to being able to sort messages in the inbox with OE. Could sorrt by subject, date, etc. Is this possible in live mail? Yes, clicking the column names will sort items by that column, just like OE. -- Patrick P. www.boydcomputersvcs.com "bob" <bob525@comcast.net> wrote in message news:dLudnUFPCNLoQZbWnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@giganews.com... > I am used to being able to sort messages in the inbox with OE. Could sorrt > by subject, date, etc. Is this possible in live mail? > Just like OE, click the column headers or View, Sort by..... -- R...

Problem wiih declared index in xml
In Access 2003, I exported a table in a file.XML, with shema (and with primary keys ans index informations) and data. One of the rules on indexes is that field 'Name' & 'First Name' must be unique. And I can see that is defined in the shema of the .xml file. Now, I read this file when opening a form in VS2005 with this code : ------------------------------- Dim dt As New DataSet dt.ReadXml("c:\temp\obj2.xml", XmlReadMode.ReadSchema) Me.DataGridView1.DataSource = dt.Tables("obj") ------------------------------- So, I see data in the DataGridView, and it ...

Sort order for chart only and not on spreadsheet
Hi there! I neet to plot a simple graph with the data below Candidate Score A 4 B 3 C 7 D 1 The relevent numbers (are actually scores) keep getting updated for each candidate. I want my graph to plot it in the order of highest score to lowest (whilst keeping my spreadsheet in the same order A,B,C,D . . .) every time I update the score (automatically) without me having to change it everytime I do it. I have 32 entries. Can I use a macro to do this Can anyone pls help me plssssssssssss Thanks so mu...

Problem displaying form when using data from 3 tables
I have the following tables: [tbl_Claimant] SSN (PK), FirstName, LastName, DOB [tbl_ClmDetails] recID (PK), SSN (FK), CED, FONum [tbl_IDReferrals] refID (PK), SSN (FK), and bunch more fields I'm designing the form using all fields from [tbl_IDReferrals] with [FirstName], [LastName], [CED], and [FONum] -- but whenever I try to click to Form View -- my form is blank but on design view it show my form. The relationship is 1-many between [tbl_Claimant] and [tbl_ClmDetails], and 1-many between [tbl_Claimant] and [tbl_IDReferrals]. Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong please? Than...

sorting #15
can i sort my data automatically without click on "sort" icon You can have a change event macro perform the sort. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200800 "abolbashaari" wrote: > can i sort my data automatically without click on "sort" icon Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "A:C" '<== change to suit On Error GoTo ws_exit Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range(WS_RANGE)) Is Nothing Then Me.Cells.Sort key1:=Me.Range("A1"), order1:=xl...

2005 budget problems
I have 2005 OEM version installed on my new laptop. I started using it to setup my budget, and I ran into a problem. I go through the edit expenses link to establish budget values for particuliar categories. For example, I enter $500 for utilities. When I view this same category under the 'budget vs. spending' tab for the current month, this same category comes up as $469.67. However, this value is $500 in my budget. Also to add injury to insult, this value comes up as $500 for prior months in the budget vs. spending report. Help! I am thoroughly confused at this point!...

Canon PIXMA iP4600 & XP problem
Printer works fine from the computer it's attached to. Other computers can print to this printer over the network. No problems. However... just /one/ XP Home computer can't use this printer. On that /one/ machine, you can see the printer if you specifically search for the host computer in My Network Places, but you can't connect to the printer. When you try, you get the error dialog: "The operation could not be completed. Either the printer name...". If you try to use Start>Settings>Printers and Faxes>Add Printer, the printer never shows up at a...

CrmExchangeQueueService,email problem ?!
What is happening here, i have attached the logfile. Seems like email-spamm on the crm server. ? What should i do to stop this? /Niklas App: E 'Tue Apr 13 22:43:52 2004': CrmExchangeQueueService - " The message '[Full-Disclosure] EEYE: Windows Expand-Down Data Segment Local Privilege Escalation' failed to deliver to all servers " App: W 'Tue Apr 13 22:43:52 2004': CrmExchangeQueueService - " An HTTP status code of 403 was returned while attempting to deliver a message. Message subject: '[Full-Disclosure] EEYE: Windows Expand-Down Data Segment L...

Distribution lists: problem with display of names (Outlook 2000)
With creating a distribution list by adding members from the available contacts the names in the list always get "E-Mail" attached to in brackets - sample: "John White (E-Mail)". These names are then listed also in the recipient list of mails sent to the distribution list. I don't like this "ugly" name appendix - is there a way to get it removed? Torsten Villnow You can hack the contact32.dll if you really need to go to the trouble. http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/emaildisplay.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Torsten Villnow" <t.vi...

Expression with sort problem
I have multiple Field columns for my query. I inserted a field to add certain other fields together. My formula is Lg Grower: +[8]+[8 1/2]+[9]+[9 1/2]+[10]+[10 1/2] Table is blank. Total is Expression. I can run this query as is but when I try to sort descend I get an error message. What I need this to do is add the fileds together and descend highest to lowest. If I change the total to sum and try to add fields together it also gives me an error message. Any ideas? Thanks Zenia Can you post the entire SQL string? Do you mean that the query is blank (returns no rows) or that th...

problem closing MSMoney 2006
-- After opening, running and then closing MSMoney 2006, the program appears to close normally. If, however, I attempt to reopen Money, I get a message box stating "Money is already running". In order to reopen MSMoney, I am forced to either reboot the computer, or to manually close the program via "Window Task Manager" by finding and selecting "msmoney.exe" in the "Processes" list and selecting the "End Process" button. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program in an effort to correct this problem, without success. Any suggesti...

Cell Referencing Problem
Greetings, In excel 2000 I would like to be able to read in different values for AK into the following cell entry: ='Feb01-04'!$AK39 Stated another way, I would like to rewrite the above cell reference so that the value AK is read from another source cell. For example I might type AX into source cell A1 and the above reference would change to ='Feb01-04'!$AX39 Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Don Rist Don, You can use the INDIRECT function to do this. E.g., =INDIRECT("'Feb01-04'!$"&A1&"39") -- Cordially, Chip Pearson M...

Reminder problem
I know you can set reminders for events. Let's say I have an event due on Friday, but I set the reminder to go off on Tuesday. The reminder goes off on Tuesday and I ignore it. The next time it pops up it will tell me that the event is overdue by so much time, but the event isnt over until Friday. How can I change the reminder to tell me the remaining time to the event and not the remaining time to the reminder? Thanks. Andrew It's not telling you the event is overdue, it's telling you the reminder is overdue. This is the default behavior and cannot be changed. If it really bo...

VBA Problems..
Dear Group members, I have been following the posts in this groups on regular basis. I recently appeared for an interview where I was asked to tell the projects i have done in Excel VBA. Since I know VBA but never had a real time exposure. I would like to do some project. If you anyone can help me. Kindly mail me at rakeshshail2010@gmail.com. Thanks a lot. ...

Custom ALT Macro Problem
Anyone else having a problem when they Lock the ALT bar (with custom Macros) that after they press a button (use a macro) it defaults back to the plain function set of buttons but the lock symbol is still showing? The macros I am using are just a rehash of other buttons (Tender, Open/Close, Clear Customer, Set Customer, Work Order, etc.) but I wanted to have them all on one bar as opposed to 3-4 different bars. I have tried to read all the post regarding these macros, is this a flaw or is it me? Is there a way to make the ALT bar be the default bar that opens first when you start the...

Personal Folder Problem #3
Well.. it seems it isn't my day... It seems like I messed up something while I was trying to fix my gmail issue and now I have under Folder list: Outlook today - [Personal Folders] two times... how could I take one of them out of there ? when I go to E-Mail Accounts -> View or change existing e-mail accounts -> Deliver new e-mail to the following location -> there are two "Personal Folder" options... they are both identical... Under C:\Documents and Settings\harold\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook there are three files: - Two .pst files: one called out...

Can't sort by date #2
How can I sort a spreadsheet by a column full of dates? Even though type is "date" when I sort by that column, the result seems to be random. I can't make sense of the order even assuming it is sorting like text. The sort does happen, because it changes when I switch between ascending and descending. 1) give us an example 2) could time be causing the 'randomness'? HTH, Gary Brown "Laurel" wrote: > How can I sort a spreadsheet by a column full of dates? Even though type is > "date" when I sort by that column, the result seems to ...

IE8 Shut Down Problem
After I shut down IE8 and my computer for the day, the next time I start the computer and IE8, I get a message "IE8 did not shut down correctly and asks if I want the last page displayed or my home page". After I select home page, everything works fine. It contiunes to work OK unitl I turn the computer off. The next day, the same error message. "Ray Phillips" <Ray Phillips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:060D2C02-5212-471A-8621-10E2207BF437@microsoft.com... > After I shut down IE8 and my computer for the day, On which OS? &...

Re: Outlook 2007 To Do bar problem
I ran the diagnostics and it fixed some unspecified problem. I then clicked on Tasks (is this the task module to which you referred?) and toggled views on and off. I think I tried everything I saw. None of it made any difference. Bob try office diagnostics, then reset the views on the to-do folder (do it from the tasks module). -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook a...

Re balances change when sorting by month!!!!!!
it is money 2005 In microsoft.public.money, Travis Hedrick wrote: >When i am looking at my transactions over the past 3 months or even a year, if I decide to change the registry view to sort by a month, it changes all my balances and throws everything off. Can someone please help me out? Money 2004? --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- Just re-sort it back by date "Travis Hedrick" wrote: > it is money 2005 > > In microsoft.public.mo...