Slow import of pictures

When I import pictures while connected to my office network, it is really
slow.  When I go to my head office which is a few hundred miles away (and
where all of the main servers are located), the import is almost instant.
Likewise when I disconnect from any network, the import is instant.

Why should it make a difference where i am located, especially as all i am
doing is importing a picture from my desktop in each instance?

Many thanks in advance

Right-click *My Computer* click *Disconnect Network drive.*

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"cjohnson300" <cjohnson300@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I import pictures while connected to my office network, it is really
> slow.  When I go to my head office which is a few hundred miles away (and
> where all of the main servers are located), the import is almost instant.
> Likewise when I disconnect from any network, the import is instant.
>
> Why should it make a difference where i am located, especially as all i am
> doing is importing a picture from my desktop in each instance?
>
> Many thanks in advance

0
mary-sauer (6480)
7/21/2008 1:03:08 PM
Thanks Mary, I'll give that a go.  By why would my mapped network drives make
a difference?

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Right-click *My Computer* click *Disconnect Network drive.*
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "cjohnson300" <cjohnson300@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I import pictures while connected to my office network, it is really
> > slow.  When I go to my head office which is a few hundred miles away (and
> > where all of the main servers are located), the import is almost instant.
> > Likewise when I disconnect from any network, the import is instant.
> >
> > Why should it make a difference where i am located, especially as all i am
> > doing is importing a picture from my desktop in each instance?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance

Photoshop 6.0 image is discolored when imported into Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, <br><br>I am trying to import an image from Photoshop 6.0 (Mac Classic version) into Word in publishing layout mode. I have the image saved on my OS X desktop. When I drag the image from my desktop into the word document it appears, but it is too blue! The white does not appear to be affected, but the green is brighter and the pink is purple. This is important as the image needs to be in-keeping with the color-scheme of the rest of the document. What is causing this, and how can I correct it? It ...

Inserting captions onto pictures with MS Picture Manager
How do you insert captions onto pictures with MS Picture Manager You don't. RAG wrote: > How do you insert captions onto pictures with MS Picture Manager ...

Can MS Works spreadsheet be imported into Excel?
Have tried to import a Works spreadsheet to Excel - have just updated to Excel and would have thought the two would be be compatible and seamless; when I try this I get an error.Any thoughts on how to do this or if it even can be done? In the File/Open dialog box, if you click the arrow next to "Files of Type", you'll see the list includes Microsoft Works 2.0. If your file is from a later version of Works, I believe you need to open it again in Works and save in either Works 2.0 or Excel format. The other option is to buy a converter like Dataviz' Conversions Plus for US$...

MS SQL Import
Does anyone have any experience with Electronic Microsystems' MS SQL Import Utility? ...

Install this important patch from the Microsoft
--mgnpbdxeol Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="qknrhsydnjcndx"; type="multipart/alternative" --qknrhsydnjcndx Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="zesqiqypayzhn" --zesqiqypayzhn Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the security ...

How do I import a Windows Explorer list into Excel?
Is it possible to import the list of files one sees in Windows Explorer into an Excel spreadsheet? (I have WinXP and Office 2003) Fred Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best. To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to this KB Article. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q272623& Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from..... http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/ I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom features. OR Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory. Type DIR >MYFILES.TXT All...

Import data from a web page
I've read the suggestions about this topic and none of them work. The only thing I am able to do is manually copy and paste data from a website to my Excel worksheet. In the past, with the previous version of Excel I had a web query that worked but now I just get an error message that says the query retrieved no data. Following the instructions in the error message window yields no results. Has anyone else had this problem and arrived at a solution? What version of Excel, previous version is not descriptive of what you had what you have now. And it possibly does not matter. In...

E-mail Templates HTML format with pictures
Is it possible to create custom templates with an HTML body, including like my company logo ? If this is possible, can any one help me.. Thank you again in advance I created a web page in MS FrontPage. Posted the page on a web server with a public address. Then copied the page into a Direct Email Template. If you don't require a logo you can just paste it from FrontPage right into the Direct Email Template. HTH Donnie Sweat "Ulrich" <Ulrich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2BF4B7E-D92E-41EC-A55A-7B53AEE60A22@microsoft.com... > Is it possible ...

Import Export Wizard and Archive function missing under FILE
I have to reinstall my office XP and tried to import my previous settings. However I do not have the option under the FILE menu to Import/Export or Archive. Anyone know how to get this function back? cheers, John. johnkeogh@vexinc.com ...

Outook 2007 Picture Block
I have this odd situation. I am using exchange 2007. The picture block is enable. Yet, I am getting this spam with discusting pictures. How did this end up happening? Thanks in advance many spammers send the pictures as attachments, the block is for downloaded content with is referenced using html tags. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Out...

Slow sorts on Excel
I have a spreadsheet that I created a custom macro to sort certain columns in a workbook. For some reason after I have the workbook open for any extended period of time (saving and updating periodically) the sort will go from taking about 1.5 seconds to about 10 or 15 seconds. Once it takes 10 or 15 seconds I have to close the spreadsheet down and re-open to get back to the 1.5 second sort (I don't have to close Excel). Does anyone know why this may be hapening? I know it's ugly code and can be cleaned up...my main question is what could be causing the slow down. Thanks, Ryan Her...

Can't see pictures inserted in publisher
I recently started using Office 2003 and have a problem when inserting picture files. They do not show up, I can only see the "grab handles". I have tried changing the order of the picture as well as text wrapping options but still can't see it. Changing the view options doesn't work either. This also happens in Word. Does anyone know how to change this? Newcandee <Newcandee@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I recently started using Office 2003 and have a problem when inserting > picture files. They do not show up, I can onl...

Inserted Pictures not showing up when sending email
OL 2000 - I have created a email message to send out to a excell list. The mail merge for email works fine but the HTML message is not sending the embeded links or pictures. The message seems to be sent in plain text only. Can anyone help? ...

Slow check box
HI all, Have a prob. I have multiple check boxes on my sheet but, they tak approx 2 seconds to select when 'clicked'. I know it still runs but have others similar that run instantaneously. Any ideas???? Cheers!! -- gavme ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gavmer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=666 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=32029 ...

How can I move a picture in word 2007.
I inserted a picture in a blank page, Selected the picture and tried to drag it. It won't move. I tried the picture, then format tab, then align. I tried to unselect Align to Margin, but it would not Unalign Any suggestions. It should be an easy solution, but I am stuck. The out-of-the-box default for inserting pictures is a text wrapping of "in line with text", meaning that it behaves like a single character. You can drag it to another position within text -- but if there is no other text on the document, there's no place to drag it to. You can change any s...

Exporting and importing rules
We're converting from one windows email server in a domain to another in a different domain and I believe the rules I've created won't get converted. I see that I can export and import rules. What about Folders ? Do I need to recreate all folders ? Any hints/advice on pitfalls/obstacles in this process would be greatly appreciated. It would all depend on the mail server and the method your administrators are using to migrate the content. In general rules will indeed not come over or will need to be recreated anyway so exporting them might not solve your issue. De...

Saving Pictures in Outlook 2002
I am using Outlook 2002 and people often send pictures imbedded in the emails that I want to save. Outlook only allows me to right click and save these in bmp format but I want to use jpg. Is there a setting that will allow this? Pat Pat, I don't think that is possible. Outlook probably saves as BMP because of the format of the attached file. you could probably open it up in MS Paint and do a 'Save as' JPEG. Regards, Nabeel "patetc" <PatETC@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1190123173.884863.311960@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com... >I am using Outlook 2002 ...

CRM
Hi, I've got a problem to import data into drop down list (CRM). I alreday try cdf tools. But, when I execute the "p_cdf_PopulateStringMap" nothing happens! The cdf_StringMap is not completed... Help! someone has an idea to resolve my problem ? thanks regards, When you have installed the Data Migration Framework, you have also got 2 executables. You can (probably) find them in this folders: c:\program files\microsoft crm data migration tool\cdf c:\program files\microsoft crm data migration tool\cdfmigration one of the tools is called initializecdf.exe. Run this tool and...

Lost Address Book when importing to Outlook
I recently installed and started using Outlook 2003. I decided to import my address book from from Outlook Express 6. I did what I thought was the right thing... File>Import and Export>Import Internet Mail and Addresses>Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x and the radio button for Do not import duplicate items. It imported my messages but not my address book, so I went ahead and manually entered the information for my contacts in Outlook. (Only 5 of them thank goodness so I remembered their info). When I went back to look at Outlook Express my address book was gone! I have another frie...

Need a simple macro that will import any one of a number of text files in a folder
I'm having problems coming up with a macro that will allow me to import a text file of choice from my default file location that I have set up with Excel which contains several text files. I want the macro to open a "Open" file dialog window where I can then choose the text file of choice. I also need it to open the file as delimited, starting at row 23 and with the tab selected as the only delimiter. Please help... thanks, steve Steve I have been using the following for several years to obtain a spreadsheet from a .csv file downloaded from a bank. You will need to add the...

Import Data From Access to Excel
Hi: I want to import data into Excel 2003 from Access 2003. I have an Access query that has 2 parameters and want to be able to pass those parameters from Excel. However, I see no way to pass those parameters-- I choose Data | Import External Data | Import Data option and choose an Access DSN. I run through the selections but there are no places to enter my Access parameters and I get the usual "Too few parameters..." error. There is also the option of Data | Import External Data | New Database Query, which I can build a query in Excel, and I can create parameters there in Excel, b...

import/export personal folder
I'm preparing to format a friends computer who has Outlook 2000 on it.She has alot of emails saved in Personal folders.She would like me to reload the folder after formating.I burned her pesonal folder onto a CD-R in a pst. format. I thought I would 1st take the disc to my computer and load up Outlook 2000 and see if I could export from the disc to my Outlook before erasing everything from hers. I get a message saying something like"This is personal information and cannot be loaded to your computer". Is there a way to do this?Did I mess up by configuring my Outlook in ...

Why do my pictures in Outlook look so bad?
I had no problems in Ol 2003, but in 2007, some pictures look terrible quality and some get really small? HELP! It's microsoft's problem. I'd go back to 2003 if it bothers you that much. Microsoft changed their way of processing images and screwed us all. Search for Image Bloat in google groups, and you will find a lot of messages in the outlook newsgroups regarding this. "GMTco" <info@gmtco.net> wrote in message news:uuWzH1lSHHA.412@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I had no problems in Ol 2003, but in 2007, some pictures look terrible >quality and some...

Importing contacts and connecting them to the related customer
After several attempts I finally succeeded in importing my accounts from Outlook. Now, I'm trying to import the contacts from Outlook into CRM 3.0. Simply importing the contacts works fine, but I want to connect my contacts directly to the account. The bulk import offers this possibility but what data does it expect to make the connection? I've tried the account name but import fails for each line with error message 0x8004032d (Data in row does not match the import type) "Arthur Vuijk" <Arthur Vuijk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02FCC072-4603-...

Importing .txt file into Excel
Hi, I have a long list of names and address (text document .txt), the list looks like the following All Saints, Carnegie St corner with Caledonian Road Islington N1 9QD GB Denomination Church of England Phone 020 7837 0720 Fax Email Brixton - UCKG HelpCentre 386-388 Brixton Road London SW9 7AW GB Denomination Pentecostal Phone 020 7738 4887 Fax 020 7738 4887 Email Web Site Etc etc How do I import this list into specific columns in Excel, such as Company, Address1, Address 2 etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Simon Does your data always come in the same order? Line 1 of...