Set margins?

I re-installed Publisher 02 on my new computer today.  I went to open an
existing file and the margins are not set.  The top and bottom of the pages
are getting cut off.  I looked for everything to set the margins and make it
fit.  The file was perfect before and everything was displayed.  I cant
figure out how to get it all in again!!  The layout guides are at 0" and the
page setup gives me no options to set the margins.  What happened?  What do I
do?
0
Mike1154 (1216)

Hi, Mike -

They moved it to the "Arrange" menu.

M.

"Mike" wrote:

> I re-installed Publisher 02 on my new computer today.  I went to open an
> existing file and the margins are not set.  The top and bottom of the pages
> are getting cut off.  I looked for everything to set the margins and make it
> fit.  The file was perfect before and everything was displayed.  I cant
> figure out how to get it all in again!!  The layout guides are at 0" and the
> page setup gives me no options to set the margins.  What happened?  What do I
> do?
0
Morisot (87)
3/22/2007 4:59:19 AM
What settings are your printer preferences in the control panel? Do you have a
default printer selected?

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

>I re-installed Publisher 02 on my new computer today.  I went to open an
> existing file and the margins are not set.  The top and bottom of the pages
> are getting cut off.  I looked for everything to set the margins and make it
> fit.  The file was perfect before and everything was displayed.  I cant
> figure out how to get it all in again!!  The layout guides are at 0" and the
> page setup gives me no options to set the margins.  What happened?  What do I
> do?

0
mary-sauer (6480)
3/22/2007 7:57:12 AM
What settings should they be on in the preferences?  Everything is set to
default.  I went to the "arrange" tab and "layout guides".  Everything is set
to 0.  A default printer is selected.  The pages are still cut top and
bottom.  Thanks!

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> What settings are your printer preferences in the control panel? Do you have a
> default printer selected?
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I re-installed Publisher 02 on my new computer today.  I went to open an
> > existing file and the margins are not set.  The top and bottom of the pages
> > are getting cut off.  I looked for everything to set the margins and make it
> > fit.  The file was perfect before and everything was displayed.  I cant
> > figure out how to get it all in again!!  The layout guides are at 0" and the
> > page setup gives me no options to set the margins.  What happened?  What do I
> > do?

0
Mike1154 (1216)
3/22/2007 10:07:20 PM
Hi, Mike -

Try .7 for all four of the margins in the "arrange" "layout guides" and see
if anything happens.

(If it doesn't change your publication, you might be stuck having to move
all your boundaries manually.)

M.

"Mike" wrote:

> What settings should they be on in the preferences?  Everything is set to
> default.  I went to the "arrange" tab and "layout guides".  Everything is set
> to 0.  A default printer is selected.  The pages are still cut top and
> bottom.  Thanks!
>

> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
> > What settings are your printer preferences in the control panel? Do you have a
> > default printer selected?
> >
> > --
> > Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> > http://office.microsoft.com/
> > http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >
> > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I re-installed Publisher 02 on my new computer today.  I went to open an
> > > existing file and the margins are not set.  The top and bottom of the pages
> > > are getting cut off.  I looked for everything to set the margins and make it
> > > fit.  The file was perfect before and everything was displayed.  I cant
> > > figure out how to get it all in again!!  The layout guides are at 0" and the
> > > page setup gives me no options to set the margins.  What happened?  What do I
> > > do?

0
Morisot (87)
3/22/2007 11:30:10 PM
It did not work.  How do I set them manually?  I just need the top and bottom
of the page to display the content like it did before.....
Thanks!
Mike

"Morisot" wrote:

> Hi, Mike -
>
> Try .7 for all four of the margins in the "arrange" "layout guides" and see
> if anything happens.
>
> (If it doesn't change your publication, you might be stuck having to move
> all your boundaries manually.)
>
> M.
>

> "Mike" wrote:
>
> > What settings should they be on in the preferences?  Everything is set to
> > default.  I went to the "arrange" tab and "layout guides".  Everything is set
> > to 0.  A default printer is selected.  The pages are still cut top and
> > bottom.  Thanks!
> >

> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> > > What settings are your printer preferences in the control panel? Do you have a
> > > default printer selected?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> > > http://office.microsoft.com/
> > > http://msauer.mvps.org/
> > >
> > > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Mike1154 (1216)
3/23/2007 10:28:13 AM
Mike, Have you checked out your display? Go to the control panel, Display
properties folder, settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot tab

Slide the acceleration down three notches. Does the Publisher display improve?
If so, your graphics driver needs upgrading.

Read the third FAQ here:
http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> It did not work.  How do I set them manually?  I just need the top and bottom
> of the page to display the content like it did before.....
> Thanks!
> Mike
>
> "Morisot" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Mike -
>>
>> Try .7 for all four of the margins in the "arrange" "layout guides" and see
>> if anything happens.
>>
>> (If it doesn't change your publication, you might be stuck having to move
>> all your boundaries manually.)
>>
>> M.
>>

>> "Mike" wrote:
>>
>> > What settings should they be on in the preferences?  Everything is set to
>> > default.  I went to the "arrange" tab and "layout guides".  Everything is
>> > set
>> > to 0.  A default printer is selected.  The pages are still cut top and
>> > bottom.  Thanks!

0
mary-sauer (6480)
3/23/2007 11:46:04 AM
Mike wrote:
> What settings should they be on in the preferences?  Everything is set to
> default.  I went to the "arrange" tab and "layout guides".  Everything is set
> to 0.  A default printer is selected.  The pages are still cut top and
> bottom.  Thanks!

Margin Guides are just that - guides. They in no way affect your
printable area. You should set them to help you - for instance, to tell
you how close to the edge your printer will print.

See http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag for a tutorial on
how to find your maximum print area.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org

The drivers are ok and nothing changed on the viewable area.  I proceeded to
the Word Pad and tried to adjust the margins.  I attempted to set all 4 to
zero and it will not let me make a change.  The left and right default at a
min of .125 and top and bottom are at .563.  How can I make these zero and
stay?

Thanks!
Mike

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> Mike wrote:
> > What settings should they be on in the preferences?  Everything is set to
> > default.  I went to the "arrange" tab and "layout guides".  Everything is set
> > to 0.  A default printer is selected.  The pages are still cut top and
> > bottom.  Thanks!
>
> Margin Guides are just that - guides. They in no way affect your
> printable area. You should set them to help you - for instance, to tell
> you how close to the edge your printer will print.
>
> See http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag for a tutorial on
> how to find your maximum print area.
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org

0
Mike1154 (1216)
3/23/2007 9:49:23 PM
Mike wrote:
> The drivers are ok and nothing changed on the viewable area.  I proceeded to
> the Word Pad and tried to adjust the margins.  I attempted to set all 4 to
> zero and it will not let me make a change.  The left and right default at a
> min of .125 and top and bottom are at .563.  How can I make these zero and
> stay?

If you don't have a printer that can print borderless, then these
margins are *immutable physical properties* of your printer, and *cannot
be changed*.

Look for a "Minimize margins" or "Borderless" option in your printer driver.

If your printer is an HP and has a borderless option, it probably won't
work with Publisher, as the drivers misreport their margins. You'll have
to export an image and print that from a graphics application instead.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org
0
the_nerd (6342)
3/24/2007 12:24:54 AM
Sorry, Mike -

I misunderstood.

Did you change printers? What printer do you have set as your default printer?

Even if your publication has every margin ond text box standoff set to 0
(zero), if your printer cannot print to the edges of the page - your page
will be cutoff.

M.

"Mike" wrote:

> Ed,
>
> The drivers are ok and nothing changed on the viewable area.  I proceeded to
> the Word Pad and tried to adjust the margins.  I attempted to set all 4 to
> zero and it will not let me make a change.  The left and right default at a
> min of .125 and top and bottom are at .563.  How can I make these zero and
> stay?
>
> Thanks!
> Mike
>

> "Ed Bennett" wrote:
>
> > Mike wrote:
> > > What settings should they be on in the preferences?  Everything is set to
> > > default.  I went to the "arrange" tab and "layout guides".  Everything is set
> > > to 0.  A default printer is selected.  The pages are still cut top and
> > > bottom.  Thanks!
> >
> > Margin Guides are just that - guides. They in no way affect your
> > printable area. You should set them to help you - for instance, to tell
> > you how close to the edge your printer will print.
> >
> > See http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag for a tutorial on
> > how to find your maximum print area.
> >
> > --
> > Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> > http://ed.mvps.org

0
Morisot (87)
3/24/2007 12:28:08 AM
Ed,

I tried setting the printer to borderless, but it is only as a "borderless
photo 8.5 x 11".  I tired a couple different settings in both the printer
preferences and changing page setup under Word Pad.  The print prieview on
Publisher still shows no changes.  I do have an HP printer.  It is the same
one I printed with prior to the new computer setup.  The last time this file
was opened and printed, it was on the same printer.  Not sure what to change
now????

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> Mike wrote:
> > The drivers are ok and nothing changed on the viewable area.  I proceeded to
> > the Word Pad and tried to adjust the margins.  I attempted to set all 4 to
> > zero and it will not let me make a change.  The left and right default at a
> > min of .125 and top and bottom are at .563.  How can I make these zero and
> > stay?
>
> If you don't have a printer that can print borderless, then these
> margins are *immutable physical properties* of your printer, and *cannot
> be changed*.
>
> Look for a "Minimize margins" or "Borderless" option in your printer driver.
>
> If your printer is an HP and has a borderless option, it probably won't
> work with Publisher, as the drivers misreport their margins. You'll have
> to export an image and print that from a graphics application instead.
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org

0