Saving a file with a minimum of 300 dpi using Publisher 2003

I have created an ad using MS Publisher 2003. How do I save the document as a pdf file at 300dpi?
0
anonymous (74722)

A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Brent
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> I have created an ad using MS Publisher 2003. How do I save the
> document as a pdf file at 300dpi?

No version of Publisher can create PDF files on its own.
I would suggest that you:
Either a) Save the file as a 300DPI PNG or TIFF file
or b) Get Acrobat or another PDF making program, and create your PDF with
that.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6342)
2/26/2004 4:40:44 PM
"dpi" refers to bitmaps or pictures. The type and most clip art will be
vector and usually converting them to a bitmap will degrade the
quality--sometimes by a lot. A PDF file does not require a bitmap, and
resolution means relatively little to a PDF (yes there are resolution
settings in Acrobat distiller but their function is not important to the
issue at hand).

to make a PDF you'll need full version of Acrobat and you will need to
Distill at the "Press" job options settings. You can save as PostScript then
distill. If you do not have the full version of Acrobat (the one that costs
a couple hundred dollars) then you will have to look at other options. Some
of the free "distilling" things can be pretty technical (at least
Ghostscript was last time I looked).

One of the other MVPs around here has a piece on producing PDF...Brian? You
here? or look at http://www.kvalheim.org/

Adobe has a "create PDF online" but I see a lot ofg messages complaining
about it. My feeling is that you are much better off "owning" the ability to
make a pdf yourself...so if there are glitches, you can fix 'em in a juffy.

Look at www.pdf995.com  -- he has a freebie pdf maker. I've not heard much
about it, but what I have heard is favorable.

you might want to take a look at
http://www.adcomgraphics.com/PrePress/File%20Preparation.htm
(one of my sites) -- this page covers the specific settings that one should
usually make for prepress purposes. All PDF makers I've seen have similar
settings, just makebe not in the same organization.

Hope all this helps!

Mac Townsend -- MVP/Publisher-Prepress
Adcpm Graphics
Electronic prepress and digital imaging
www.adcomgraphics.com

"Brent" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have created an ad using MS Publisher 2003. How do I save the document
as a pdf file at 300dpi?

0
mactno1 (79)
2/26/2004 5:18:28 PM
If you're looking for an affordable PDF creator, you may also want to
check out activePDF Composer - www.activepdf.com. It includes a
resolution setting option, as well as options for font embedding,
compresssion, etc. - settings that may not be available in "free"
creators.
Best of luck!

> "Brent" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have created an ad using MS Publisher 2003. How do I save the document
> as a pdf file at 300dpi?
Mac,

Congrats on the MVP notation. I told Brian a while back you deserve it.

Mike

Mac Townsend wrote:
> "dpi" refers to bitmaps or pictures. The type and most clip art will be
> vector and usually converting them to a bitmap will degrade the
> quality--sometimes by a lot. A PDF file does not require a bitmap, and
> resolution means relatively little to a PDF (yes there are resolution
> settings in Acrobat distiller but their function is not important to the
> issue at hand).
>
> to make a PDF you'll need full version of Acrobat and you will need to
> Distill at the "Press" job options settings. You can save as PostScript then
> distill. If you do not have the full version of Acrobat (the one that costs
> a couple hundred dollars) then you will have to look at other options. Some
> of the free "distilling" things can be pretty technical (at least
> Ghostscript was last time I looked).
>
> One of the other MVPs around here has a piece on producing PDF...Brian? You
> here? or look at http://www.kvalheim.org/
>
> Adobe has a "create PDF online" but I see a lot ofg messages complaining
> about it. My feeling is that you are much better off "owning" the ability to
> make a pdf yourself...so if there are glitches, you can fix 'em in a juffy.
>
> Look at www.pdf995.com  -- he has a freebie pdf maker. I've not heard much
> about it, but what I have heard is favorable.
>
> you might want to take a look at
> http://www.adcomgraphics.com/PrePress/File%20Preparation.htm
> (one of my sites) -- this page covers the specific settings that one should
> usually make for prepress purposes. All PDF makers I've seen have similar
> settings, just makebe not in the same organization.
>
> Hope all this helps!
>
> Mac Townsend -- MVP/Publisher-Prepress
> Adcpm Graphics
> Electronic prepress and digital imaging
> www.adcomgraphics.com
>

> "Brent" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have created an ad using MS Publisher 2003. How do I save the document
>
> as a pdf file at 300dpi?

0
wordwiz (948)
2/27/2004 2:00:22 AM
tnx.

"Mike Koewler" <wordwiz@fuse.net> wrote in message
> Mac,
>
> Congrats on the MVP notation. I told Brian a while back you deserve it.
>
> Mike
>
> Mac Townsend wrote:
> > "dpi" refers to bitmaps or pictures. The type and most clip art will be
> > vector and usually converting them to a bitmap will degrade the
> > quality--sometimes by a lot. A PDF file does not require a bitmap, and
> > resolution means relatively little to a PDF (yes there are resolution
> > settings in Acrobat distiller but their function is not important to the
> > issue at hand).
> >
> > to make a PDF you'll need full version of Acrobat and you will need to
> > Distill at the "Press" job options settings. You can save as PostScript
then
> > distill. If you do not have the full version of Acrobat (the one that
costs
> > a couple hundred dollars) then you will have to look at other options.
Some
> > of the free "distilling" things can be pretty technical (at least
> > Ghostscript was last time I looked).
> >
> > One of the other MVPs around here has a piece on producing PDF...Brian?
You
> > here? or look at http://www.kvalheim.org/
> >
> > Adobe has a "create PDF online" but I see a lot ofg messages complaining
> > about it. My feeling is that you are much better off "owning" the
ability to
> > make a pdf yourself...so if there are glitches, you can fix 'em in a
juffy.

> > Look at www.pdf995.com  -- he has a freebie pdf maker. I've not heard
much
> > about it, but what I have heard is favorable.
> >
> > you might want to take a look at
> > http://www.adcomgraphics.com/PrePress/File%20Preparation.htm
> > (one of my sites) -- this page covers the specific settings that one
should
> > usually make for prepress purposes. All PDF makers I've seen have
similar
> > settings, just makebe not in the same organization.
> >
> > Hope all this helps!
> >
> > Mac Townsend -- MVP/Publisher-Prepress
> > Adcpm Graphics
> > Electronic prepress and digital imaging
> > www.adcomgraphics.com
> >

> > "Brent" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I have created an ad using MS Publisher 2003. How do I save the document
> >
> > as a pdf file at 300dpi?

0
mactno1 (79)
2/27/2004 5:37:41 PM
Resolution in a PDF means different things.

In some cases and for some objects within the postscript file it determines
(in effect) how many points will be plotted for a vector curve. This is the
"resolution" setting seen on the general page of Distillers job options
dialogs. it has nothing to do with image (picture) resoution. Nothing. It
affects rendering of vector objects only. And it has a very slight affect on
ultimate file size. I use 1200 for all my stuff.

On the compression tab you'll see a very different resolution issue.

This one affects only images (i.e. bitmap images, whetehr photo or artwork).
What it does is set the threshold at which images will be downsampled--i.e.
made less data dense--while the PostScript is being distilled. In distilelr
4 and earlier, the threshold is 150%. SO...if you have a setting in there of
300 dpi Distiller will not downsample the image unless the image is greater
than 450 dpi (150% of 300). If it is 350, it won't touch it. This threshold
can be changed in Distiller 5 and above.

I usually recommmend using bicubic resampling and zip 8-bit compression. I
have run into troubles with some "automatic" or jpg compressed images.

Please realize my own concerns and the above suggestions are strictly
prepress related. I'd say fully 40% of the pdf I get from others for output
are prepared wrong. Some can be fixed (at extra cost) some are bounced back
with a report on how to resolve the problem along with an
inspection/preflight bill.

bottom line...it pays to fully understand what you are dowing with PDF files
and why you are doing it.<G>

> If you're looking for an affordable PDF creator, you may also want to
> check out activePDF Composer - www.activepdf.com. It includes a
> resolution setting option, as well as options for font embedding,
> compresssion, etc. - settings that may not be available in "free"
> creators.
> Best of luck!
>

> > "Brent" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have created an ad using MS Publisher 2003. How do I save the
document
> > as a pdf file at 300dpi?

0
mactno1 (79)

About: Using IHtmlElementRender to print HTML document?
I have realized the printing preview/output to printer in my project. but there is a problem, when the HTML document is larger than paper restriction, I need to do pagination with the document, How do I? I ever tried to use the 'Print-template' method which can be found from MSDN, but however I can't use the method, because I reform the behavior of IWebBrowser2 using asynchronously plug-in technic, to render html document on screen, some images and CSS file is read from memory, Thus, once I use 'Print-template' method that can't parse images and CSS, whole layout...

UI Data Validation using XML Schema
Has anybody done UI data validation usinf XML Schemas. Any pointers will help. Thanks! ...

How do I get a formula to use data from a fixed location(NOT vicev
I want a formula to use data from a fixed location. For example I am using a table B2 to I4. During the week new value are added to the right of this table and then the table is shifted to the left. So a value in I4 becomes G4 etc. I want the formula to continue using I4 despite the fact it has been shifted but the formula automatically adjusts to read G4. IN SHORT Is there anyway to fix the formula to read a fixed physical location and not track the position of the cells? I know how to fix the value when the formula is moved(using $), but not how to fix the source for the formula. Anyon...

how to use the type member in System.Web.Services.Description
hi all, I want to parse the wsdl file . It is ease to parse the parts of wsdl except that the part of types. Because I don't know how to use the System.Web.Services.Description member types . I have searched the MSDN to find answer , but , it tell me very less. So I come here for help. For example, there is a types is defined as follows: - <types> - <s:schema elementFormDefault="qualified" targetNamespace="http://www.webservicex.net"> - <s:element name="GetGeoIP"> - <s:complexType> - <s:sequence> <s:element minOccurs="0...

Synchronise Outlook 2003

Bulk Import Wizard for Leads Issue
Hi, I am trying to import Lead records using a CSV file containing around 3,000 records. I have tested with around 20 records (taken from the larger file) and it imports fine but when I select the the 3,000 record file for import the wizard gives an error message somthing like (sorry don't have exact wording) 'Source Import file is corrupt'. Are there any known issues with CSV files such as the following : 1) Special characters such as an asterix not handled 2) Email and Website type fields must all be correctly formatted? 3) File is too large Thanks for your help in adva...

excel file can't be opened #2

How to transpose in excel file

MBF file won't open...am I hosed???
In my previous computer I had a flaky hard drive. While it still worked I backed up all my important files to CD's and DVD's. Since I dutifully backed up my MNY file (to two locations) each time I used my Money 2001 I didn't think to copy my MNY file I merely copied the MBF files from those locations. Once, I had to use that an MBF file as my MNY file was corrupt and it worked flawlessly. I saw no reason why it shouldn't do so again. Plus I was in panic mode to get all the data possible from the dying HD. Now that I have a new computer I installed my copy of MM 2001 and wh...

Outlook 2003 cuts off lines

Microsoft Money 2003
When I try to print a chart or report, I get the message "This program has caused a default, etc." and it shuts down. Can you give me some hints on how to correct this? Thanks Is this all reports or a particular one? If it's only one, try resetting the report. If that doesn't help, try it in a new file. If it does it in multiple files, you may need to try updating your printer driver or removing and reinstalling Money. "Mary J" <mjohns04@mail.win.org> wrote in message news:035001c377cc$e2e77840$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When I try to print a chart or re...

Can't restor backup file, "Please insert the next backup disk.....
I have money 2005 backup file (.mbf) and my original file has gotten corrupted somehow and can't repair it (computer hung and had to be restarted). Whenever I try to restor the backup file, I get the following message, Window Title: Money Multiple Disk Backup Message: Please insert the next backup disk. (The disk containing file "".) I was backing up on a different connected single harddrive and there is only one file. The file is not in multiple pieces and on different drives. When I click OK, it doesn't do anything and cancel just stops the process. I even down...

after saving to cd many times. now says read only?
i have saved many times to my cd. i overwrite it almost daily (CD-RW) all of a sudden it now say's the file is read only. although i can still save to my hard drive? nsturre wrote: > i have saved many times to my cd. i overwrite it almost daily (CD-RW) all of > a sudden it now say's the file is read only. although i can still save to my > hard drive? Unless you have formatted your CDRW for packet writing, then yes, it will be Read only. CDROM = CD Read Only Memory! -- Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordon Burgess-Parker Director www.gbpcomputing.co.uk Just ...

Report Designer on Visual Studio 2005: Is it possible without 2003?
Do I have to install Visual Studio .NET 2003 to design new reports on CRM? I can't publish them on CRM when I have only the Visual Studio 2005 installed on my machine. When I install the SRS Designer, the Wizard tells me that I do not have the Visual Studio 2003. Thanks in advance! You need VS to create report rdl file. Visual Studio 2005 should work. To publish report you can log into CRM to upload your report file. "Juliano" <tom@jager.com> wrote in message news:B5808A28-946C-4F78-92DF-1C965F74448A@microsoft.com... > Do I have to install Visual Studio .NET 2...

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 Migration Question #3
Hello, We are currently migrating users to Exchange 2003 from 5.5. The 5.5 server is located here and the new 2003 server is located in a different office. One user (who we have moved already) is trying to access and user's calendar, but that user is still on 5.5. They are getting the following error: unable to display the folder. The information store could not be opened Any ideas on how to make the user on 2003 (running Outlook 2003) connect to the user's calendar on the 5.5 server? The user has the "Owner" permission on the 5.5 calendar. Thanks! ...

Importing Outlook 2003 to Win 98 Outlook

How do you check out a file from a link
I have received a link to an excel file stored in a SharePoint library. When I open the file the option to 'check out the file' does not appear at the top of my screen. This function does work for a word document in the same library. Please can you advise. Thanks With your browser, go to the Library where the document is located and check out from there. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 16/04/10 15:44, Tracey T wrote: > I have received a link to an excel file stored in a SharePoint library. When > I open the file the option to 'check out the fi...

Outlook 2003: export accounts settings

Proper use of categories in invoicing?
I am a freelance web developer. I use Money to print and track my invoicing. Being a freelancer, I often have a wide variety of clients: there is a continual influx of new clients, as well as a stable of regular clients. The regular clients often bring their own clients with them, and in this case, my role is only to develop the site. As a result, I will often send out 10 or 20 invoices to one of these regular clients over the course of a year, covering work that I may have done on 20 or 30 sites. As it is now, I can sort for invoices to the REGULAR CLIENTS, but I cannot search/sort for i...

Rename project file
Hello, How do you rename a project file? TIA, Jacques If you're still using version 6 this program works pretty well. http://www.ucancode.net/Products/free%20product/toolbox.htm Tom "Jacques Cooper" <jcooper@jcsoftware.net> wrote in message news:eYU%23fWSSDHA.2852@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > How do you rename a project file? > > TIA, > Jacques > > ...