Publisher - Read file

I have a mysterious situation that I need some help on, please. I have a
client who has a 6 employee office. The network is straightforward, a
workgroup with good practice sharing and permissions. Nothing locked down or
complex.

Everyone in the office contributes to a newsletter which resides on a server
network share. Everyone has read/write rights to the share. One guy, lets
call him Bob can open the newsletter, can save it to the share as another
name but cannot save it as the original name. Publisher/Windows tells him it
is read only.

No one else experiences this problem.

Let me recap. The PUB file has no read only attributes set. Bob can create
and edit and save a file he edits in the share folder. Bob cannot save the
communal document even when no one else has it open. He can save it as
another name.

Everyone uses Office 2003.

Anyone have any ideas?????

David

0
reply1695 (3)

What happens if Bob copies the file to his local drive, does the edits, saves
and copies it back to the network server?

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Jethro" <reply@dont.hit> wrote in message
>I have a mysterious situation that I need some help on, please. I have a client
>who has a 6 employee office. The network is straightforward, a workgroup with
>good practice sharing and permissions. Nothing locked down or complex.
>
> Everyone in the office contributes to a newsletter which resides on a server
> network share. Everyone has read/write rights to the share. One guy, lets call
> him Bob can open the newsletter, can save it to the share as another name but
> cannot save it as the original name. Publisher/Windows tells him it is read
> only.
>
> No one else experiences this problem.
>
> Let me recap. The PUB file has no read only attributes set. Bob can create and
> edit and save a file he edits in the share folder. Bob cannot save the
> communal document even when no one else has it open. He can save it as another
> name.
>
> Everyone uses Office 2003.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?????
>
> David

0
mary-sauer (6480)
1/15/2008 11:08:47 AM
Darn good question. I shall investigate and reply.

In the meantime I am following a hunch regarding font substitutions. I noted
a font sub warning when the file was loaded. My thinking is that either a)
Publisher will not permit font subs being saved back to the original or a
licensed font has crept in and the license won't permit a save for some
reason. Could I be barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for taking the time.

Kindest

David

"Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> What happens if Bob copies the file to his local drive, does the edits,
> saves and copies it back to the network server?
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Jethro" <reply@dont.hit> wrote in message
>>I have a mysterious situation that I need some help on, please. I have a
>>client who has a 6 employee office. The network is straightforward, a
>>workgroup with good practice sharing and permissions. Nothing locked down
>>or complex.
>>
>> Everyone in the office contributes to a newsletter which resides on a
>> server network share. Everyone has read/write rights to the share. One
>> guy, lets call him Bob can open the newsletter, can save it to the share
>> as another name but cannot save it as the original name.
>> Publisher/Windows tells him it is read only.
>>
>> No one else experiences this problem.
>>
>> Let me recap. The PUB file has no read only attributes set. Bob can
>> create and edit and save a file he edits in the share folder. Bob cannot
>> save the communal document even when no one else has it open. He can save
>> it as another name.
>>
>> Everyone uses Office 2003.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas?????
>>
>> David

0
reply1695 (3)
1/15/2008 2:36:47 PM
Mary, thanks for the question:

If Bob saves the file locally and tries to overwrite the server share file,
he is stopped. The file on the network share is locked somehow.

To recap, he can save locally or renamed in the share-folder but cannot
overwrite the original newsletter.pub file. So it is not server/network
permissions but a Publisher file locking issue.

We eliminated (we think) font substitutions as a cause.

I cannot see why the other 4 team members have no problems, but just Bob.

Any further thoughts?

Kindest

David

"Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> What happens if Bob copies the file to his local drive, does the edits,
> saves and copies it back to the network server?
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Jethro" <reply@dont.hit> wrote in message
>>I have a mysterious situation that I need some help on, please. I have a
>>client who has a 6 employee office. The network is straightforward, a
>>workgroup with good practice sharing and permissions. Nothing locked down
>>or complex.
>>
>> Everyone in the office contributes to a newsletter which resides on a
>> server network share. Everyone has read/write rights to the share. One
>> guy, lets call him Bob can open the newsletter, can save it to the share
>> as another name but cannot save it as the original name.
>> Publisher/Windows tells him it is read only.
>>
>> No one else experiences this problem.
>>
>> Let me recap. The PUB file has no read only attributes set. Bob can
>> create and edit and save a file he edits in the share folder. Bob cannot
>> save the communal document even when no one else has it open. He can save
>> it as another name.
>>
>> Everyone uses Office 2003.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas?????
>>
>> David

0
reply1695 (3)
1/15/2008 10:10:11 PM
Firewall? Permissions?
Download FileMon and RegMon from
http://www.sysinternals.com/. Run them as administrator (when no
user is connected), start a TS session as a normal user and try to
run the application.

FileMon and RegMon will show you all "access denied" errors that
occur, so that you can give your users the necessary permissions on
a file-to file or Registry subkey basis.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Mary, thanks for the question:
>
> If Bob saves the file locally and tries to overwrite the server share file,
> he is stopped. The file on the network share is locked somehow.
>
> To recap, he can save locally or renamed in the share-folder but cannot
> overwrite the original newsletter.pub file. So it is not server/network
> permissions but a Publisher file locking issue.
>
> We eliminated (we think) font substitutions as a cause.
>
> I cannot see why the other 4 team members have no problems, but just Bob.
>
> Any further thoughts?
>
> Kindest
>
> David
>

> "Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> What happens if Bob copies the file to his local drive, does the edits, saves
>> and copies it back to the network server?
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "Jethro" <reply@dont.hit> wrote in message
>>>I have a mysterious situation that I need some help on, please. I have a
>>>client who has a 6 employee office. The network is straightforward, a
>>>workgroup with good practice sharing and permissions. Nothing locked down or
>>>complex.
>>>
>>> Everyone in the office contributes to a newsletter which resides on a server
>>> network share. Everyone has read/write rights to the share. One guy, lets
>>> call him Bob can open the newsletter, can save it to the share as another
>>> name but cannot save it as the original name. Publisher/Windows tells him it
>>> is read only.
>>>
>>> No one else experiences this problem.
>>>
>>> Let me recap. The PUB file has no read only attributes set. Bob can create
>>> and edit and save a file he edits in the share folder. Bob cannot save the
>>> communal document even when no one else has it open. He can save it as
>>> another name.
>>>
>>> Everyone uses Office 2003.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas?????
>>>
>>> David

0
mary-sauer (6480)

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

CSV File Problem

CFile (delete file)

import a 123 file

publishing
I'm trying to REMOVE the publishing funtion of a "previously published" excel document. I can't see where to remove the function. How do you remove the option. I've tried resaving the document and looked at all options I see. Robert From the Excel Help Modify and republish data on a Web page that was previously saved by Excel When you publish or save your Microsoft Excel data as a Web page, Excel creates an HTML version of the file (with the extension .htm). If you want to update that data on the Web page, and you saved or published a worksheet or items on a wor...

Public Folder link to Excel File

Outlook Hangs Reading Messages

Renaming Partial File Names

Publisher 2007 frequently crashes

printing imported gif files in Excel

unknown .edb file

Merge code issues with Publisher 2003

publisher #18
if you have a small business with several computers that are on a network, do you have to purchase a seperate copy of ms office for each computer in the same office? We need to know this because we need it on all the computers but can not afford to pay 2000.00 for software. thanks! Publisher doesn't like being used on a network. Have you tried contacting MS and asking about multi-seat licenses? Also, didn't you say you belong to an NPO? If so, you could ask if MS has a special rate. The worst that they will say is no. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "April"...