Publisher Question #4

I have created a poster/flyer but when I took it to printer they could not
print the size I wanted, 24x30" because they said I needed to increase the
size of what I placed on the disc.  How do I do that, I have tried all i know

0
MsJLee (8)

I suspect you may have misunderstood what your printer said.

What size is your original Publisher drawing? Maybe your design has a
different width to height proportion than 24 x 30.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have created a poster/flyer but when I took it to printer they could not
> print the size I wanted, 24x30" because they said I needed to increase the
> size of what I placed on the disc.  How do I do that, I have tried all i
> know

0
jl_paules (2768)
12/2/2006 1:29:07 AM
My original size is 8.5X11.  She told me she could not enlarge it to 24X30
without making a lot of changes.  Told me to go back and resize it on my
computer, save it and bring it back. t

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

> I suspect you may have misunderstood what your printer said.
>
> What size is your original Publisher drawing? Maybe your design has a
> different width to height proportion than 24 x 30.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have created a poster/flyer but when I took it to printer they could not
> > print the size I wanted, 24x30" because they said I needed to increase the
> > size of what I placed on the disc.  How do I do that, I have tried all i
> > know

0
MsJLee (8)
12/2/2006 1:39:00 AM
I am not sure I am even using this correctly, did you get my response?

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

> I suspect you may have misunderstood what your printer said.
>
> What size is your original Publisher drawing? Maybe your design has a
> different width to height proportion than 24 x 30.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have created a poster/flyer but when I took it to printer they could not
> > print the size I wanted, 24x30" because they said I needed to increase the
> > size of what I placed on the disc.  How do I do that, I have tried all i
> > know

0
MsJLee (8)
12/2/2006 1:51:00 AM
Yes, and it's as I suspected. The proportions aren't the same but it *is*
close. Is there a reason why you didn't make your poster 24 x 36 if that's
what you want?

I would also ask the printer what kind of changes she would have to make. I
hate to say it but sometimes printers don't know as much as they think they
do.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

>I am not sure I am even using this correctly, did you get my response?
>

> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I suspect you may have misunderstood what your printer said.
>>
>> What size is your original Publisher drawing? Maybe your design has a
>> different width to height proportion than 24 x 30.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>
>> ~~~~~
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> "MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have created a poster/flyer but when I took it to printer they could
>> >not
>> > print the size I wanted, 24x30" because they said I needed to increase
>> > the
>> > size of what I placed on the disc.  How do I do that, I have tried all
>> > know

0
jl_paules (2768)
12/2/2006 1:55:48 AM
JoAnn, I am sorry, I do not know how to make it the size I want, I enlarged
the page, but not the actual flyer, it stayed the same with a lot of white
around it when I viewed it.  How do I change the size to 24X36.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

> Yes, and it's as I suspected. The proportions aren't the same but it *is*
> close. Is there a reason why you didn't make your poster 24 x 36 if that's
> what you want?
>
> I would also ask the printer what kind of changes she would have to make. I
> hate to say it but sometimes printers don't know as much as they think they
> do.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am not sure I am even using this correctly, did you get my response?
> >

> > "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I suspect you may have misunderstood what your printer said.
> >>
> >> What size is your original Publisher drawing? Maybe your design has a
> >> different width to height proportion than 24 x 30.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> JoAnn Paules
> >> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >>
> >> ~~~~~
> >> How to ask a question
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
> >>

> >> "MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
MsJLee (8)
12/2/2006 2:07:00 AM
What version of Publisher are you using?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

> JoAnn, I am sorry, I do not know how to make it the size I want, I
> enlarged
> the page, but not the actual flyer, it stayed the same with a lot of white
> around it when I viewed it.  How do I change the size to 24X36.
>
> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Yes, and it's as I suspected. The proportions aren't the same but it *is*
>> close. Is there a reason why you didn't make your poster 24 x 36 if
>> that's
>> what you want?
>>
>> I would also ask the printer what kind of changes she would have to make.
>> hate to say it but sometimes printers don't know as much as they think
>> they
>> do.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>
>> ~~~~~
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> "MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am not sure I am even using this correctly, did you get my response?

0
jl_paules (2768)
12/2/2006 2:28:18 AM
I am using 2000 and I have used a preset design (wizard design)

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

> What version of Publisher are you using?
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > JoAnn, I am sorry, I do not know how to make it the size I want, I
> > enlarged
> > the page, but not the actual flyer, it stayed the same with a lot of white
> > around it when I viewed it.  How do I change the size to 24X36.
> >
> > "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, and it's as I suspected. The proportions aren't the same but it *is*
> >> close. Is there a reason why you didn't make your poster 24 x 36 if
> >> that's
> >> what you want?
> >>
> >> I would also ask the printer what kind of changes she would have to make.
> >> hate to say it but sometimes printers don't know as much as they think
> >> they
> >> do.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> JoAnn Paules
> >> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >>
> >> ~~~~~
> >> How to ask a question
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
> >>

> >> "MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
MsJLee (8)
12/2/2006 3:10:00 AM
Can you send the file over to me? If so, send it to jl dot paules at gmail
dot com.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

>I am using 2000 and I have used a preset design (wizard design)
>
> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> What version of Publisher are you using?
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>
>> ~~~~~
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> "MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > JoAnn, I am sorry, I do not know how to make it the size I want, I
>> > enlarged
>> > the page, but not the actual flyer, it stayed the same with a lot of
>> > white
>> > around it when I viewed it.  How do I change the size to 24X36.

0
jl_paules (2768)
12/2/2006 3:17:23 AM
Sounds like you enlarged the work ok.  Now enlarge the text boxes changing
the font to larger settings.  Also enlarge your images to the size wanted.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> JoAnn, I am sorry, I do not know how to make it the size I want, I
> enlarged
> the page, but not the actual flyer, it stayed the same with a lot of white
> around it when I viewed it.  How do I change the size to 24X36.
>
> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Yes, and it's as I suspected. The proportions aren't the same but it *is*
>> close. Is there a reason why you didn't make your poster 24 x 36 if
>> that's
>> what you want?
>>
>> I would also ask the printer what kind of changes she would have to make.
>> hate to say it but sometimes printers don't know as much as they think
>> they
>> do.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>
>> ~~~~~
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> "MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am not sure I am even using this correctly, did you get my response?

0
Don
12/2/2006 5:59:36 AM
On 12/1/06 7:17 PM, in article O22XlCcFHHA.2112@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl, "JoAnn
Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:

> Can you send the file over to me? If so, send it to jl dot paules at gmail
> dot com.

Having done large format output it is like JoAnn said, the proportions are
wrong for enlarging to your desired size. Regardless of that fact it is
entirely within the printers ability to enlarge the document on their end.
They're just not wanting to do that. It is simple as that.

Think of it this way. We used to output billboards on 60 inch wide tiles, I
forget how long they were. Imagine what the files would be like if we had to
create the art at that size. The art was designed at a smaller, proportional
size and we enlarged it to the final specified size.

So it's a lazy printer or the person you're dealing with doesn't
understand/know the options that *they* have available. You could always
calculate the enlargement yourself and tell them to enlarge it when x-amount
when they print it.

Matt Beals
Consultant
Enfocus Certified Trainer
Apago, Calls, Gradual & Markzware Recognized Trainer
(206) 618-2537 - Cell
(720) 367-3869 - eFax
mailto:matt@mattbeals.com

Come visit me at:

http://www.mattbeals.com
http://www.actionlistexchange.net
http://www.mattbeals.com/blog/

Friends don't let friends write HTML email

0
matt4238 (148)
12/2/2006 8:45:25 AM
Her proportions were close tho. 1.29 to 1.25.

(Warning: Bragging ahead.)
My printer would have called me and told me that to the poster to look right
it would end up being whatever size and ask if that was okay. He's
phenomenal. As a matter of fact, I'm headed there in about 20 minutes to
drop off a print job for work. I think I need to tell them that again.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Matt Beals" <matt@mattbeals.com> wrote in message
> On 12/1/06 7:17 PM, in article O22XlCcFHHA.2112@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
> "JoAnn
> Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can you send the file over to me? If so, send it to jl dot paules at
>> gmail
>> dot com.
>

> Having done large format output it is like JoAnn said, the proportions are
> wrong for enlarging to your desired size. Regardless of that fact it is
> entirely within the printers ability to enlarge the document on their end.
> They're just not wanting to do that. It is simple as that.
>
> Think of it this way. We used to output billboards on 60 inch wide tiles,
> forget how long they were. Imagine what the files would be like if we had
> create the art at that size. The art was designed at a smaller,
> proportional
> size and we enlarged it to the final specified size.
>
> So it's a lazy printer or the person you're dealing with doesn't
> understand/know the options that *they* have available. You could always
> calculate the enlargement yourself and tell them to enlarge it when
> x-amount
> when they print it.
>
> Matt Beals
> Consultant
> Enfocus Certified Trainer
> Apago, Calls, Gradual & Markzware Recognized Trainer
> (206) 618-2537 - Cell
> (720) 367-3869 - eFax
> mailto:matt@mattbeals.com
>
> Come visit me at:
>
> http://www.mattbeals.com
> http://www.actionlistexchange.net
> http://www.mattbeals.com/blog/
>
> Friends don't let friends write HTML email

0
jl_paules (2768)
12/2/2006 1:40:56 PM
You obviously have a great relationship with your printer. Having been on
the receiving end of the compliments it really is gratifying. Once you have
one of those relationships with a printer you know you have a partner for
your projects. And that's invaluable.

On 12/2/06 5:40 AM, in article eGNFAfhFHHA.1276@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, "JoAnn
Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:

> Her proportions were close tho. 1.29 to 1.25.
>
> (Warning: Bragging ahead.)
> My printer would have called me and told me that to the poster to look right
> it would end up being whatever size and ask if that was okay. He's
> phenomenal. As a matter of fact, I'm headed there in about 20 minutes to
> drop off a print job for work. I think I need to tell them that again.

0
matt4238 (148)
12/2/2006 11:38:30 PM
My printer was there when I stopped in today. I told him what the situation
was with the OP. He said he would have called and asked me what size I
needed and where should he crop it.

He's a great guy and has prices that are as good if not better than
self-serve...which they also offer.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

> You obviously have a great relationship with your printer. Having been on
> the receiving end of the compliments it really is gratifying. Once you
> have
> one of those relationships with a printer you know you have a partner for
> your projects. And that's invaluable.
>
> Matt Beals
> Consultant
> Enfocus Certified Trainer
> Apago, Calls, Gradual & Markzware Recognized Trainer
> (206) 618-2537 - Cell
> (720) 367-3869 - eFax
> mailto:matt@mattbeals.com
>
> Come visit me at:
>
> http://www.mattbeals.com
> http://www.actionlistexchange.net
> http://www.mattbeals.com/blog/
>
> Friends don't let friends write HTML email
> On 12/2/06 5:40 AM, in article eGNFAfhFHHA.1276@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
> "JoAnn
> Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Her proportions were close tho. 1.29 to 1.25.
>>
>> (Warning: Bragging ahead.)
>> My printer would have called me and told me that to the poster to look
>> right
>> it would end up being whatever size and ask if that was okay. He's
>> phenomenal. As a matter of fact, I'm headed there in about 20 minutes to
>> drop off a print job for work. I think I need to tell them that again.

0
jl_paules (2768)
12/3/2006 1:33:15 AM
Matt,

 >> Regardless of that fact it is entirely within the printers ability
to enlarge the document on their end. They're just not wanting to do
that. It is simple as that. <<

'Fraid not. Yep, they could could enlarge it, and all those 96 dpi
images would be about60 dpi - great for printing, huh?

 >> So it's a lazy printer or the person you're dealing with doesn't
understand/know the options that *they* have available. You could always
calculate the enlargement yourself and tell them to enlarge it when
x-amount when they print it. <<

Sounds to me like it is a printer that wants his/her output to look
decent, one who doesn't want to spend hours resampling images and text
to output at a larger size. No way could it be the fault of an idiot
designer who doesn't submit vector files that can be enlarge without
degradation. Nope, lazy printers - that's the answer.

Mike

Matt Beals wrote:

> On 12/1/06 7:17 PM, in article O22XlCcFHHA.2112@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl, "JoAnn
> Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Can you send the file over to me? If so, send it to jl dot paules at gmail
>>dot com.
>

> Having done large format output it is like JoAnn said, the proportions are
> wrong for enlarging to your desired size. Regardless of that fact it is
> entirely within the printers ability to enlarge the document on their end.
> They're just not wanting to do that. It is simple as that.
>
> Think of it this way. We used to output billboards on 60 inch wide tiles, I
> forget how long they were. Imagine what the files would be like if we had to
> create the art at that size. The art was designed at a smaller, proportional
> size and we enlarged it to the final specified size.
>
> So it's a lazy printer or the person you're dealing with doesn't
> understand/know the options that *they* have available. You could always
> calculate the enlargement yourself and tell them to enlarge it when x-amount
> when they print it.
>
> Matt Beals
> Consultant
> Enfocus Certified Trainer
> Apago, Calls, Gradual & Markzware Recognized Trainer
> (206) 618-2537 - Cell
> (720) 367-3869 - eFax
> mailto:matt@mattbeals.com
>
> Come visit me at:
>
> http://www.mattbeals.com
> http://www.actionlistexchange.net
> http://www.mattbeals.com/blog/
>
> Friends don't let friends write HTML email

0
wordwiz (948)
12/3/2006 1:34:15 AM
See inline responses please.

On 12/2/06 5:34 PM, in article 14aca$45722996$42a1f859$21635@FUSE.NET, "Mike
Koewler" <wordwiz@fuse.net> wrote:

> Matt,
>
>>> Regardless of that fact it is entirely within the printers ability
> to enlarge the document on their end. They're just not wanting to do
> that. It is simple as that. <<
>
> 'Fraid not. Yep, they could could enlarge it, and all those 96 dpi
> images would be about60 dpi - great for printing, huh?

    Yes, that's true. All the images would become lower resolution because
you are enlarging rather than reducing. But if we're talking about large
format output and posters then they aren't meant to be viewed from less than
18 to 24 inches. So the low resolution will be compensated by the eyes
because your eyes will not be able to see the pixelization as well as it
could if the viewing distance was shorter. How do you think billboards are
printed? We're not dealing with forty foot wide 300 dpi images which would
be tens if not hundreds of gigabytes in size. Posters don't need to be
created at full size, proportionally yes so that they can be enlarged.
Otherwise the file size becomes unmanageable for many people very quickly.
You're more often than not dealing with images that are under 150 dpi. And
at 18 to 24 inches they look *really* bad. But that the intended viewing
distance they look perfect. Eyes are funny things... They love to play
tricks on the brain. Or is it the other way around? Either way, you can't
entirely trust them. Most of the inkjet printers use a form of stochastic
screening or dithering to fool the eye into thinking that the image being
produced is continuous tone. Which is precisely what halftone are supposed
to do. Funny how that works....

>>> So it's a lazy printer or the person you're dealing with doesn't
> understand/know the options that *they* have available. You could always
> calculate the enlargement yourself and tell them to enlarge it when
> x-amount when they print it. <<
>
> Sounds to me like it is a printer that wants his/her output to look
> decent, one who doesn't want to spend hours resampling images and text
> to output at a larger size. No way could it be the fault of an idiot
> designer who doesn't submit vector files that can be enlarge without
> degradation. Nope, lazy printers - that's the answer.

    Resampling images up will do nothing for you but at bulk to a job. All
you will be doing is resampling the existing image with more pixels to
describe the existing pixels. It won't add any quality. If anything it will
soften the image. Upsampling only works up to about 150% without the use of
fractal imaging plug-ins or tools. Even then the effective "quality" is
relative to the original image and the viewing distance. See how viewing
distance keeps coming up? The job that I had printed using 10 micron
stochastic screening was beautiful. Except for the pixels that I could see
from the 300 dpi image I was using. Upsampling that to 1200 DPI on a 35x42
job wouldn't have done me any good. And considering the viewing distance of
the poster, no one would even know.

It's true that vector art will always reproduce better because of its
inherent nature, mathematical formulas and postscript commands to describe
an otherwise ethereal object or group of objects. Raster images don't have
those benefits. There is a practical limit to what you can do with a raster
object for this kind of purpose. It is the "point of diminishing returns".
When is there enough without being over kill? When I've designed billboards
and other large format (and 24 x 36 does qualify as large format) you need
to keep in mind those practical limits. It's about managing expectations and
understanding the target audience.

In general I would challenge some to a blind test to differentiate a 200 dpi
image to a 300 dpi image. In most cases the average person can't tell the
difference. To who's eye are we judging the quality? The person designing it
or the person viewing? If it's not pleasing to the viewer then the designer
hasn't done their job.

It's all about managing expectations and understanding the target audience.

> Mike
>
> Matt Beals wrote:
>
>> On 12/1/06 7:17 PM, in article O22XlCcFHHA.2112@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl, "JoAnn
>> Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Can you send the file over to me? If so, send it to jl dot paules at gmail
>>> dot com.
>>

>> Having done large format output it is like JoAnn said, the proportions are
>> wrong for enlarging to your desired size. Regardless of that fact it is
>> entirely within the printers ability to enlarge the document on their end.
>> They're just not wanting to do that. It is simple as that.
>>
>> Think of it this way. We used to output billboards on 60 inch wide tiles, I
>> forget how long they were. Imagine what the files would be like if we had to
>> create the art at that size. The art was designed at a smaller, proportional
>> size and we enlarged it to the final specified size.
>>
>> So it's a lazy printer or the person you're dealing with doesn't
>> understand/know the options that *they* have available. You could always
>> calculate the enlargement yourself and tell them to enlarge it when x-amount
>> when they print it.
>>
>> Matt Beals

0
matt4238 (148)
12/3/2006 2:02:27 AM
On 12/2/06 5:33 PM, in article u7luCtnFHHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl, "JoAnn
Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:

> My printer was there when I stopped in today. I told him what the situation
> was with the OP. He said he would have called and asked me what size I
> needed and where should he crop it.
>
> He's a great guy and has prices that are as good if not better than
> self-serve...which they also offer.

See?? This is a smart printer! I don't know who they are but I love them
already. They understand their target audience and know how to manage their
expectations; providing good service and working on behalf of their
customers. This is the kind of service any printer is capable of providing.
The "boutique shops" I work with service the customer. In doing so they
build strong relationships that are long lasting and profitable. That's how
you succeed. I've worked with bigger commercial shops and  my customers and
I can't get the same level of service. Regardless of the prices service
sells first. Having spend almost ten million on printing and paper I can
tell you service comes before price. Prices can always come down, service
hardly ever goes up.

Matt Beals
Consultant
Enfocus Certified Trainer
Apago, Calls, Gradual & Markzware Recognized Trainer
(206) 618-2537 - Cell
(720) 367-3869 - eFax
mailto:matt@mattbeals.com

Come visit me at:

http://www.mattbeals.com
http://www.actionlistexchange.net
http://www.mattbeals.com/blog/

Friends don't let friends write HTML email

0
matt4238 (148)
12/3/2006 2:08:01 AM
Matt Beals wrote:
> On 12/2/06 5:33 PM, in article u7luCtnFHHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl, "JoAnn
> Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My printer was there when I stopped in today. I told him what the situation
>> was with the OP. He said he would have called and asked me what size I
>> needed and where should he crop it.
>>
>> He's a great guy and has prices that are as good if not better than
>> self-serve...which they also offer.
>

> See?? This is a smart printer! I don't know who they are but I love them
> already. They understand their target audience and know how to manage their
> expectations; providing good service and working on behalf of their
> customers. This is the kind of service any printer is capable of providing.
> The "boutique shops" I work with service the customer. In doing so they
> build strong relationships that are long lasting and profitable. That's how
> you succeed. I've worked with bigger commercial shops and  my customers and
> I can't get the same level of service. Regardless of the prices service
> sells first. Having spend almost ten million on printing and paper I can
> tell you service comes before price. Prices can always come down, service
> hardly ever goes up.
>

> Matt Beals
> Consultant

For too many years I worked as a traffic manager at various TV/video
post production studios and the questions I had for clients(major ad
agencies, production studios, etc) were basically...
"what do you want to do with the final product??"
"Is it for broadcast? or demo?"
"Do you need stereo or mono?"
yada yada yada

usually the response was, "duh, yeah whatever you think."

My observation is that the end user (client) usually has no idea what
they need only what they want and there's a big difference between the
two :)

Gee I just made no sense :)

Steve
0
dtp2webSPAM (302)
12/3/2006 3:55:20 AM
It's been a five year process to get to the point where I am now with my
printer. In the past I was giving them about $1200 woth of business a year.
I recently had them print the handbooks I created for a national seminar.
That was a $2400 job. The results were, as usual, excellent.

He can do long-distance service if anyone needs. They can do it all from
printing to mailing.  ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Steve in NC" <dtp2webSPAM@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Matt Beals wrote:
>> On 12/2/06 5:33 PM, in article u7luCtnFHHA.3780@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
>> "JoAnn
>> Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My printer was there when I stopped in today. I told him what the
>>> situation
>>> was with the OP. He said he would have called and asked me what size I
>>> needed and where should he crop it.
>>>
>>> He's a great guy and has prices that are as good if not better than
>>> self-serve...which they also offer.
>>

>> See?? This is a smart printer! I don't know who they are but I love them
>> already. They understand their target audience and know how to manage
>> their
>> expectations; providing good service and working on behalf of their
>> customers. This is the kind of service any printer is capable of
>> providing.
>> The "boutique shops" I work with service the customer. In doing so they
>> build strong relationships that are long lasting and profitable. That's
>> how
>> you succeed. I've worked with bigger commercial shops and  my customers
>> and
>> I can't get the same level of service. Regardless of the prices service
>> sells first. Having spend almost ten million on printing and paper I can
>> tell you service comes before price. Prices can always come down, service
>> hardly ever goes up.
>>

>> Matt Beals
>> Consultant
>
> For too many years I worked as a traffic manager at various TV/video post
> production studios and the questions I had for clients(major ad agencies,
> production studios, etc) were basically...
> "what do you want to do with the final product??"
> "Is it for broadcast? or demo?"
> "Do you need stereo or mono?"
> yada yada yada
>
> usually the response was, "duh, yeah whatever you think."
>
> My observation is that the end user (client) usually has no idea what they
> need only what they want and there's a big difference between the two :)
>
> Gee I just made no sense :)
>
> Steve

0
jl_paules (2768)
12/3/2006 4:35:24 AM
Well, regarding your point. Here's the way I look at it. "Fine art", isn't
that a subjective term..., is judged by experts on its technical merits. The
brush strokes, imagery, texture, etc. However the "general observer"
appreciates the contents. They don't care about the technical merits, they
care that it "speaks to them". And if it is mediocre copy by a third year
art student who cares? It still "speaks to them" as the original would.

The average person doesn't know good design, they know bad design.
The average person doesn't know good color, they know bad color.
The average person doesn't know good printing, they know bad printing.

I could continue on but I think everyone gets the point.

Matt Beals
Consultant
Enfocus Certified Trainer
Apago, Calls, Gradual & Markzware Recognized Trainer
(206) 618-2537 - Cell
(720) 367-3869 - eFax
mailto:matt@mattbeals.com

Come visit me at:

http://www.mattbeals.com
http://www.actionlistexchange.net
http://www.mattbeals.com/blog/

Friends don't let friends write HTML email

On 12/2/06 7:55 PM, in article
IUrch.6003$ql2.5824@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net, "Steve in NC"
<dtp2webSPAM@netscape.net> wrote:

> For too many years I worked as a traffic manager at various TV/video
> post production studios and the questions I had for clients(major ad
> agencies, production studios, etc) were basically...
> "what do you want to do with the final product??"
> "Is it for broadcast? or demo?"
> "Do you need stereo or mono?"
> yada yada yada
>
> usually the response was, "duh, yeah whatever you think."
>
> My observation is that the end user (client) usually has no idea what
> they need only what they want and there's a big difference between the
> two :)
>
> Gee I just made no sense :)
>
> Steve

0
matt4238 (148)
12/3/2006 5:04:03 AM
I have always taken a different approach. When looking a sizes that my
printer won't accept, I choose page setup, click on the Printer and Paper
tab, choose Adobe PDF as the printer, click on Properties, click on Adobe
PDF Settings then click on Add Custom Page. Choose a name for that size. In
this instance I would (and have in the past) named the "Paper Name" as
"Oversize24by30" set the sizes and click Add... Then create your Publisher
document, save as a PDF and your printer will gladly accept that. You will
have absolute control of your work of art.
"MsJLee" <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have created a poster/flyer but when I took it to printer they could not
> print the size I wanted, 24x30" because they said I needed to increase the
> size of what I placed on the disc.  How do I do that, I have tried all i
> know

0
Chuck

How to publish 10000 x 4 table?
I have a LONG price list (about 4 columns each and roughly 10000 items) that I am trying to publish 3 or 4 columns per page. I am using Excel 2003 - is there any way to do this or do I have to port the whole thing over to Word? (Aaaack!) David McRitchie has some code to do this kind of thing at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm But just an observation. If this table consists of nothing but text values--and you don't need to do any calculations, maybe it belongs in MSWord. MSWord handles inserting and deleting of rows very nicely (when you have those columns "snak...

Free/Busy time publishing in OWA
Hello, is it possible to configure OWA (for Exchange 2003) to publish the same of free/busy time then the Outlook 2003 client? Outlook 2003 is configured to publish 12 months, but if a remote client only uses OWA the free/busy time is only published 2 moths. OWA seems to overwrite the free/busy time span of 12 months with the default of 2 months. As also stated here: http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2004/06/02/146939.aspx Outlook allows you to post a range of FB data, you can post 2 months, the default or 12 months, or whatever, of FB data. If Outlook has posted 9 months of data, and a...

"Microsoft Windows Component Publisher"
When I navigate to update.microsoft.com, I am offered a software component signed by "Microsoft Windows Component Publisher" verified by "Microsoft Windows Verification Intermediate PCA". Do these outfits represent Microsoft, or are they some scam to install malware? It helps those answering your questions if you provide your operating system and service pack information (e.g. Windows XP SP2, Vista SP1) and your browser with version number (e.g. IE7) . "Jack Waugh" wrote: > When I navigate to update.microsoft.com, I am offered a software comp...

POS2009 questions
I am using RMS right now and will be getting pos2009 In RMS we use alot of Macros, custom menu, touch screen, custom buttons, net display, new item wizard and reports are those all available in pos2009? what features are not availabe in pos2009 that are in RMS. And what features are new? is there a news group for ppos2009? Do we upgrade from RMS or have to install a fresh copy and add the database itmes? or you can do both? Is microsoft going to drop one of the programs? Stick with RMS there are many things that you will regret losing with a move to POS2K9. RMS has had its ...

Outlook Address Book Problem #4
When I look in the Outlook address book and then go to tools and options and look in "show this address list first:" and also look in "Keep personal addresses in:" there are folders listed which are either duplicated or no longer exist. I have previously gone into "When sending mail, check names using .." and have deleted the unwanted folders. How do I get rid of the unwanted folders in the other listings? -- Neil You can try removing & readding the Outlook Address Book service. What version of Outlook are you using? "Remove ABCD from Emai...

Help downloading the 2nd page of online Publisher templates
How do I download the second page of a 2 page Publisher newsletter template from the Microsoft website? When you download a template from the Office web site all the pages download. Are you getting the template from the Office web site? Maybe your temp cache is full... In IE, tools, Internet Options, delete files. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CraftyWiz" <CraftyWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:019E41DE-C734-4C85-B2F4-4D5F915E30FC@microsoft.com... > How do I download the seco...

Laptop client in CRM 4.0 RC0 VPC
Hi! How do I enable the laptop client in the new RC0 VPC for CRM 4.0? According to the VPC specification the laptop client should be included, but I am not able to get it to work. It seems that it is the desktop client that is installed by default, since changing the "lightclient" registry value does not work. When trying to uninstall the outlook client and reinstall it as the laptop client, there are a lot of error messages about missing files. Thank you! Sincerely Fredrik Strandberg ...

emailing with publisher 2003
has anybody tried emailing an email newsletter through publiser 2003? i ve done it any successfully opened it with outlook and hotmail but when i use lotus notes all i see is text from the newsletter but no formatting, images.. just like notepad!! anybody know of a fix? thanks After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from mrDalvin <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > has anybody tried emailing an email newsletter through > publiser 2003? i ve done it any successfully opened it > with outlook and hotmail but when i use lotus notes all i ...

How can I keep a Forwarded Publisher email from scrambling?
I have created a Publisher Doc that I am attempting to send as the body of an Outlook email. When I test the doc (by sending to myself) it looks great. If I try to forward or reply it jumbles the body of the Publisher doc. How can I keep the Body of the email from scrambling in a Forward or a Reply? ...

Linking Question
We have a excel file (it's our Budget) it is uploaded in a folder on the company share drive (server). Each department needs to be able to make changes to their section of the budget(each department has their own sheet in the workbook). My question is can they have their sheet on their PC, make changes and hit an upload button that makes the change on the budget that is on our server. I don't want people to just copy the workbook to their PC and make the changes and then upload their refresh copy to the server, b/c somebody at the same time could be doing the same thing and their w...

Saving Problem in Publisher 203
I pulled up a template that I wanted to use from the Brochure section that is easily found when you first open the program. I made the changes I needed to it and went to save as. Typed in a new name and changed the path to save it to a file folder on my desktop. After hitting save an error type sound occurred and a message popped up asking me if I wanted to save it elsewhere (I am not sure exactly were), I clicked no. Went back to pull the same template up again to use for another project and it was gone. Can't find this template anywhere in the list. Now my Brochure I created...

Email Router #4
Hi All I have one problem I have CRM 4.0 with email router and Exchange 2003 on my network, I give to my exchange Relay acces from my CRM. All Mails whit my domain @asasasa.com its works fine, but when I send mail to outside @hotmail.com fails From CRM Y type Telenet port 25 helo mail from:dasdasd@asasasas.com rcpt to:test@hotmail.com Unable to relay Does any help Me ???? thanks Victor - did you stop and re-start the SMTP service after making your changes to the relay settings? i think you need to restart the service for those changes to take effect. Dave Ireland "Victor ...

Upgrade OSX 10.4.6 can no longer save or open files.
I recently upgraded to 10.4.6 on my mac and now office 2004 (Word) cannot save any documents I make. It imediatly crashes. Same when I attempt to open a word doc using the pull down menue in Word, this causes the program to crash. I have re-installed office 2004 several times and it has not made a difference. Any suggestions? 78homersimpson78 wrote: > I have re-installed office 2004 several > times and it has not made a difference. Any suggestions? The first thing is to be sure that you ran Office's "uninstall" application before reinstalling, rather than just dele...

Attach pdf to publisher email newsletter?
-- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "lfrench" <lfrench@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92C28785-F856-491D-812C-BECB934DD778@microsoft.com... > --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.782 / Virus Database: 528 - Release Date: 10/22/2004 ...

simple math question
My Excel is a rather old version but I think the answer to this question would be the same regardless of version. I have two columns of 4 numbers each. Let's call them A1:A4 and B1:B4. The cell format is simply 'number'. I want a formula in another cell that calculates the following: A1*B1+A2*B2+A3*B3+A4*B4 but I want to use a SUM operator and cell range 'colon' operator instead of typing everything explicitly something like SUM((A1:A4)*(B1:B4)) or SUM(A1*B1:A4*B4) I tried several variations but none was correct. I looked around in HELP but they don't show how to do...

how to place clipart behind text in publisher?
I am trying to place clipart behind text in Microsoft publisher. I have tried a number of things and still can not get the text to go through the graphic. The clip art either hides the text or doesn't show at all. Thak you for your help. If it doesn't show at all when you place behind text, then your text box background is set to white. Change it to none. "Ginger" <Ginger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FAC963AE-A532-43B6-910A-E6F5A3E900B3@microsoft.com... > I am trying to place clipart behind text in Microsoft publisher. I have > tri...

missing Template category in Publisher
I wanted to create a non-Avery CD label template for publisher. Change a template This procedure works only if you already created a publication template in Publisher and saved it to the default template location. Note If you save a publication template to a location other than the default template location, it is not available in the New Publication task pane, and you cannot use it as a template. On the File menu, click New. In the New Publication task pane under New from a design, click Templates. looking at the picture in Help, it shows an arrow, and "Templates." I do...

How to create a puzzle using a picture in Publisher?
For the first time my Son's school had decided to make a yearbook in color, and they asked me to do it. I'm using as a theme for the yearbook PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER (talking about spirit, mind and body, comparing education to a puzzle), anyway, my question: I will like to convert a picture in a puzzle using Publisher. If it is not posible to do it in publisher is there any other program that I can use? Help!! PuzzleMom =) omayraortiz@hotmail.com Not in Publisher. I would suggest Googling to see if you can find something online. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Pub...

Outlook 2003 not responding #4
Within the last few days, Outlook 2003 stops responding while I am opening mail messages. Task Manager says it's not running. I have used the Repair function in Control Panel and then it will work for a little while. Starts getting slow and then stops completely. Any ideas? ...

documents created with microsoft office publisher 2007 trial versi
recently i created a few documents with microsoft office publisher 2007 duriing a free trial period that recently expired. i can access the documents but i can't do anything with them, is there anyway to open them with my 2003 version of microsoft office? If you have Publisher 2002 or 03 you can open the files. You may be able to recover the text in Word. Try a print screen if you really need the file. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "thomas" <thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F703554-FE98-466D-A839-6102CA009EA7@microsoft.com... > re...

Avery templates not available in Publisher 2007
My Avery template 8871 for business cards worked perfectly in Publisher 2003 but they are not available in 2007. Why did they leave them out? I contacted Avery and they said it was up to Microsoft to include the link to their templates. All business cards from Avery are the same, use any card in the Avery US Letter menu. They all print 10 up. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "mtnman" <mtnman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:497476DD-5609-48A2-BF94-45F0301FCA1C@microsoft.com... >...

Workflow does not populate dynamic fields if published with IE8
I just figured out that you are not able to publish worksflow with dynamic fields on subject or body with IE8. Workflow will work but it does not populate fileds. When using another computer with IE7 to publish workflow, it works. Notification email published with IE8: Dear {First Name(Owner (User))}, Your Opportuntity in CRM is overdue. Opportunity number: {Opportunity Number(Opportunity)} Same notification email published with IE7: Dear Jukka, Your Opportuntity in CRM is overdue. Opportunity number: OPP-16067 Any ideas why? Jukka Majander Exact same problem here, and I can't see...

Photo out of focus when inserted in Publisher 07
A perfectly in-focus photo becomes out of focus when inserted in Microsoft Publisher 07. View, Pictures, make certain Detailed Display is checked. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "The Documentalist" <The Documentalist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36D7F251-79CC-4842-AEE3-C879E81DF5B0@microsoft.com... >A perfectly in-focus photo becomes out of focus when inserted in Microsoft > Publisher 07. a perfectly in focus pic becomes out of focus in MS Publisher Posted as a reply to: Photo out of focus when inserted in Publisher 07 A perfectl...

Upgrade Questions Regarding SBS 2008
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CAE38C.AB6CEED0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am gathering information for the move from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008. I = currently have SBS 2003 Premium but have not had the need for SQL so I = would like to go with SBS 2008 Standard. Is there an upgrade option that = I am missingfor that type of upgrade? I see options to on the Microsoft = web site to go from SBS 03 Premium to SBS 08 Premium but not to go from = SBS 03 Premium to SBS 08 Sta...

Some Great Plains 8.0 Functionality Inquiries/Questions
X-No-Archive: yes Here are a few questions for the Great Plains v8 gurus. These come from a Finance head who is an end-user of GP v8: 1) When you look up an invoice or credit note, what cheque was it paid on? (Currently it tells the accountant 5 credit memos paid the invoice - this doesn't help -- this is the way it is set up currently). 2) Why does a credit note HAVE TO BE attached to an invoice? This doesn't need to be attached to an invoice and accountant doesn't want it this way. 3) Accountant wants the capability to have the credit note standalone, same as an invoice...