publisher print is aligned half the time, misaligned the other

When printing from publisher, sometimes it lines up perfectly and other times
it does not.  I have gone in and reset all the settings. I make sure the
stock is properly loaded in the printer.  Does not matter.  Sometimes it is
right, sometimes not. I sure waste lots of business card stock.
0
Taterchip (2)

Publisher isn't at fault, your printer is.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Taterchip" <Taterchip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When printing from publisher, sometimes it lines up perfectly and other
> times
> it does not.  I have gone in and reset all the settings. I make sure the
> stock is properly loaded in the printer.  Does not matter.  Sometimes it
> is
> right, sometimes not. I sure waste lots of business card stock.

0
jl_paules (2769)
10/24/2007 1:08:34 AM
So what can I do to correct the problem?

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> Publisher isn't at fault, your printer is.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "Taterchip" <Taterchip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When printing from publisher, sometimes it lines up perfectly and other
> > times
> > it does not.  I have gone in and reset all the settings. I make sure the
> > stock is properly loaded in the printer.  Does not matter.  Sometimes it
> > is
> > right, sometimes not. I sure waste lots of business card stock.

0
Taterchip (2)
10/24/2007 6:53:01 PM
Ms. Paules:

Product: Publisher 2007. I need help with a problem that I think is similar
to that posted by "Taterchip." Frankly, I'm a bit put off by the response to
the original question. In essence, the reply says, "Don't blame
Microsoft—blame your printer" with no further comment. A rather terse
response, seems to me. I'm no expert in such matters, and I don't understand
what the printer has to do with the problem. (My problem, anyway. Taterchip's
post lacks detail.)

My problem may differ from Taterchip's in that I get the same unsatisfactory
results every time. I'm using an Avery template that's listed in Publisher's
catalog, and the layout looks fine in print preview. When I print, however, I
get only two usable cards out of ten on the sheet. My amateur's intuition is
that the problem lies with the template, not with my printer. The cards on
the top row print outside the top perforations. The bottom two cards print
outside the bottom perforation. Row 2 is too high; row 4 is too low. The left
column prints too close to the left edge, and the right column prints too
close to the right edge. Perhaps you can understand why I—like Taterchip—have
come to Microsoft for advice. Even if you are not the right source for help
in this matter, could you please offer something specific to look for? Thank
you.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> Publisher isn't at fault, your printer is.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "Taterchip" <Taterchip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When printing from publisher, sometimes it lines up perfectly and other
> > times
> > it does not.  I have gone in and reset all the settings. I make sure the
> > stock is properly loaded in the printer.  Does not matter.  Sometimes it
> > is
> > right, sometimes not. I sure waste lots of business card stock.

0
Caesar (4)
12/9/2007 5:07:01 PM
Caesar wrote:
> Ms. Paules:
>
> Product: Publisher 2007. I need help with a problem that I think is
> similar to that posted by "Taterchip." Frankly, I'm a bit put off by
> the response to the original question. In essence, the reply says,
> "Don't blame Microsoft-blame your printer" with no further comment. A
> rather terse response, seems to me. I'm no expert in such matters,
> and I don't understand what the printer has to do with the problem.
> (My problem, anyway. Taterchip's post lacks detail.)
>
> My problem may differ from Taterchip's in that I get the same
> unsatisfactory results every time. I'm using an Avery template that's
> listed in Publisher's catalog, and the layout looks fine in print
> preview. When I print, however, I get only two usable cards out of
> ten on the sheet. My amateur's intuition is that the problem lies
> with the template, not with my printer. The cards on the top row
> print outside the top perforations. The bottom two cards print
> outside the bottom perforation. Row 2 is too high; row 4 is too low.
> The left column prints too close to the left edge, and the right
> column prints too close to the right edge. Perhaps you can understand
> why I-like Taterchip-have come to Microsoft for advice. Even if you
> are not the right source for help in this matter, could you please
> offer something specific to look for? Thank you.
It's best if you begin a new thread when you
have a question.

Maybe the following article will offer some ideas.

Create your own business
cards in Publisher 2007
http://tinyurl.com/243bn9

Please note that after you select an Avery template
no other settings should be changed.

Also I would suggest that you search the support
website of your printer mfg. for an updated driver.

--

       John Inzer
    MS Picture It! -

      Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

            Notice
This is not tech support
      I am a volunteer

 Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

0
oobie (2069)
12/9/2007 6:54:58 PM
Caesar,

Use the advanced page setup on the right. Click multiple pages per sheet. Okay
out. That should be all you need to do.
If this doesn't print correctly it could be the way your printer is picking up
the stock. Some printers have a lever that allows heavier stock to be fed more
smoothly. Are you advising your printer you are using card stock?

Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Caesar" <Caesar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ms. Paules:
>
> Product: Publisher 2007. I need help with a problem that I think is similar
> to that posted by "Taterchip." Frankly, I'm a bit put off by the response to
> the original question. In essence, the reply says, "Don't blame
> Microsoft-blame your printer" with no further comment. A rather terse
> response, seems to me. I'm no expert in such matters, and I don't understand
> what the printer has to do with the problem. (My problem, anyway. Taterchip's
> post lacks detail.)
>
> My problem may differ from Taterchip's in that I get the same unsatisfactory
> results every time. I'm using an Avery template that's listed in Publisher's
> catalog, and the layout looks fine in print preview. When I print, however, I
> get only two usable cards out of ten on the sheet. My amateur's intuition is
> that the problem lies with the template, not with my printer. The cards on
> the top row print outside the top perforations. The bottom two cards print
> outside the bottom perforation. Row 2 is too high; row 4 is too low. The left
> column prints too close to the left edge, and the right column prints too
> close to the right edge. Perhaps you can understand why I-like Taterchip-have
> come to Microsoft for advice. Even if you are not the right source for help
> in this matter, could you please offer something specific to look for? Thank
> you.
>
> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>
>> Publisher isn't at fault, your printer is.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>
>> ~~~~~
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> "Taterchip" <Taterchip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When printing from publisher, sometimes it lines up perfectly and other
>> > times
>> > it does not.  I have gone in and reset all the settings. I make sure the
>> > stock is properly loaded in the printer.  Does not matter.  Sometimes it
>> > is
>> > right, sometimes not. I sure waste lots of business card stock.

0
mary-sauer (6480)
12/9/2007 7:30:35 PM
This is in reply to both John and Mary. Thank you for the quick response. I
had not expected to hear from anyone till tomorrow.

John, I had read the article you pointed to during my search of the
Microsoft support page or the Publisher Help file. I feel the article is
superficial. The author assumes the printer's software and the Publisher
application are old friends that work together seamlessly. I wish things were
that simple. I traced the problem to the Print dialog box settings in
Publisher. I did not have to adjust anything in the printer's Properties
sheet, and there's nothing wrong with the way the printer feeds the card
stock. Instead, I had to manually adjust the side and top margins and both
vertical and horizontal gap settings. I had expected the software would apply
these settings correctly when I chose the template. At least from my
perspective, the problem is with Publisher, not with the printer.

Nothing in the article, nor anything else I could find in the Publisher Help
menu, even hinted at how to fix the problem. It's certainly possible that I
overlooked something. I can't speak to Taterchip's issue, but I'm happy to
report I've solved mine. I now get a full sheet of 10 usable cards. I'm
happy.

I still feel the reply that Taterchip got was rather flippant and unhelpful,
but I don't want to end this conversation on a sour note. My apologies for
the tech support remark. I've long known that MVPs are volunteers, and I
really do appreciate the great service you provide.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Caesar,
>
> Use the advanced page setup on the right. Click multiple pages per sheet. Okay
> out. That should be all you need to do.
> If this doesn't print correctly it could be the way your printer is picking up
> the stock. Some printers have a lever that allows heavier stock to be fed more
> smoothly. Are you advising your printer you are using card stock?
>

> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Caesar" <Caesar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ms. Paules:
> >
> > Product: Publisher 2007. I need help with a problem that I think is similar
> > to that posted by "Taterchip." Frankly, I'm a bit put off by the response to
> > the original question. In essence, the reply says, "Don't blame
> > Microsoft-blame your printer" with no further comment. A rather terse
> > response, seems to me. I'm no expert in such matters, and I don't understand
> > what the printer has to do with the problem. (My problem, anyway. Taterchip's
> > post lacks detail.)
> >
> > My problem may differ from Taterchip's in that I get the same unsatisfactory
> > results every time. I'm using an Avery template that's listed in Publisher's
> > catalog, and the layout looks fine in print preview. When I print, however, I
> > get only two usable cards out of ten on the sheet. My amateur's intuition is
> > that the problem lies with the template, not with my printer. The cards on
> > the top row print outside the top perforations. The bottom two cards print
> > outside the bottom perforation. Row 2 is too high; row 4 is too low. The left
> > column prints too close to the left edge, and the right column prints too
> > close to the right edge. Perhaps you can understand why I-like Taterchip-have
> > come to Microsoft for advice. Even if you are not the right source for help
> > in this matter, could you please offer something specific to look for? Thank
> > you.
> >
> > "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
> >
> >> Publisher isn't at fault, your printer is.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> JoAnn Paules
> >> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >>
> >> ~~~~~
> >> How to ask a question
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
> >>

> >> "Taterchip" <Taterchip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Caesar (4)

My prints are to small.What can i do to make them larger?
I can enlargen text on screen , but when i print it prints small.Can you offer some kind of help. Change the font size instead of your zoom percentage. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "gopazz1" <gopazz1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A2484AA-4C38-4B1A-B75E-C61022909992@microsoft.com... >I can enlargen text on screen , but when i print it prints small.Can you > offer some kind of help. > ...

font printing problem of imported visio file inside power point file
I am having a problem with VISIO 2002 with PowerPoint 2000. I made a drawing with some fonts with VISIO 2002. Then I copied the drawing and pasted into PowerPoint file. In screen, I can clearly see the font. When I print the file, drawings are there but there are no font from printed paper. Would you please help me out regarding this problem? ...

General Ledger - General Posting Journal
On the General Posting Journal Printed Report (print JE's), how do I add a column on the printed report to show the Distribution Reference (next to the account description)? Example: Journal Transaction Transaction Audit Trail Entry Type Reference Code 2,083 Standard Adj Aug Interest GLTRX0000318 Account Description **DISTRIBUTION REFERENCE** Debit Credit 000-1000-000 Interest Exp Book interest to actual xx xx ...

Formatting cells with Time data
I'm trying to set up my spreadsheet to format my cells to hhmm, but every time I try to enter data into the cells, the system automatically converts the hours I've entered into a date and leaves the time value at 0 any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? Are you entering as hh:mm regardless of the cell format? -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "yimkhoc" <yimkhoc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A481A01F-0938-4F38-A93C-F2B9CB0BD34C@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to set up my spreadsheet to format my cells to hhmm, but ev...

Run Time Error '1004' Application or Onject-defined
Hi all. I am having a strange problem with the below code in that it produces the run time error when trying to Paste the Selection. However, if I perform the action manually in exactly the same way, as in recording the macro in the first place, it works!? How can I get this to run - it is after all, a really simple code. (Most frustrating) Thanks, Wes. Windows("Transaction_Record.xlsm").Activate Sheets("DETAILED_PMNTS_REC").Select Range("N2077:QV2089").Select Application.CutCopyMode = False Selection.Copy Windows("AUDIT_TR...

How do I set a Word doc to always print manual feed?
In Word 2003, you'd go to page setup, paper source. I can't find anything comparable in 2007. I print a lot of labels & letterhead & need this. The dialog is the same - click the arrow bottom right of the Page Setup Group on the Page Layout tab. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>&...

Publisher 97 and date/time print
I am designing an office card using 1997 Publisher. No matter what I do it prints day, month,year and time on every page. I have checked background and there is no text box even there to delete to stop this problem. How can I find and delete? This will be an option of your printer driver. Disable that option and your trauma will be over. -- ...

Calendar Printing Assistant-won't update
Besides my own Outlook 2007 calendar, I am also the "owner" of a public calendar to which several others have editing privileges. I can add and change appointments to the public calendar, but when I go to print it, my updates are not there even though they are visible on my Outlook screen. What can I do to get CPA to print the updated appointments? My understanding is that CPA does not handle merged calendars very well. You may want to consider using a Outlook Calendar printing app called Wincalendar instead. It allows you to render your Outlook calendar in various...

Find a multiple photos on a page template for Publisher?
Possible to find a template for Publisher to print a page full of multiple photos without recreating the page each time I print. Why not save your page you have created as a template? File, "save as", files of type, scroll down to Publisher template. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "srfaith" <srfaith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:157E95AB-1159-4889-B196-61E147E6E240@microsoft.com... > Possible to find a template for Publisher to print a page full of multiple > photos without recreating the page each time I print. ...

Option to select printer B4 printing Payables Checks
Client recently upgraded from 7.5 to 9.0 and they lost the option to select a printer after clicking print. From print payables checks In 7.5 when they would click on print, a window would pop up and give them the option to select a printer to send their checks to. Now it automatically goes to their defaulted printer. How do they set up the option in 9.0? Go to the Named Printers settings, and look at the checkbox to suppress the printer dialog box. This should solve your problem Best regards Mike "TROOTBMI" <TROOTBMI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Header
I have a spreadsheet that prints out on 3 pages of A4. However, the header prints at the top of each page. How do I get it to print at the top of the first page, only, please? Gareth -- For essential news about Huddersfield Town Football Club join the Terriers Mailing List at www.Terriers.me.uk . Two separate print jobs are required. You can use a macro to speed it up but it is still two print jobs. See Ron de Bruin's site for code. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 02:46:28 +0100, "Gareth J Dykes" <firstname.lastname@btinternet.com> wrote: >I ...

print only range that contain information in excel 2007
i have a large worksheet to cover a large number of possible inserted entries, all cells show blank until entries are copied and pasted in the worksheet. The amount of entries vary. Is there a way to set the workseet to print only the range of cells with information in them ...

Logo will print in black & white but not colour
I really need some help with this urgently! check your options either in the software you are using or the printer setup to see if color is selected vrs black only. "Amanda K" <Amanda K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:543569FB-DC77-426F-8BEE-124A9C4D7539@microsoft.com... >I really need some help with this urgently! ...

Print File
How do I use a FileSytemObject in VBA code to print a word document from excel. I'm not sure how you would. But I saved this from a previous post. Option Explicit Sub testme() 'Dim WDApp As Word.Application 'Dim WDDoc As Word.Document Dim WDApp As Object Dim WDDoc As Object Dim myDocName As String Dim WordWasRunning As Boolean Dim testStr As String myDocName = "C:\my documents\word\document1.doc" testStr = "" On Error Resume Next testStr = Dir(myDocName) On Error GoTo 0 If testStr = "&quo...

Charts Line Types for Multiple Data Series not Printing Properly
Hi, I would appreciate any advice anyone has on this printing problem I am having with data series line types. I have a bunch of charts that each have 5 data series on them (lines) Some are solid line types and others are either dotted or dashed so you can differentiate when printed in black and white. The problem is when I print they are all coming out as solid lines. The dots and the dashes are not spaced enough apart so they come out as one solid line. I have double check that I do in fact have the proper line type selected. I am using Excel 2000 Thanks!!! ...

Printing Woes #2
I have a spreadsheet (my timesheet). For some reason, this spreadsheet defaults to 3 copies when it prints. I only need one. So, I manually go in, change the number of copies needed, hit print, save the spreadsheet. When I come back into the spreadsheet the next week, it is back to 3 copies. I have saved the original spreadsheet, did a save as and gave it a new name, etc, and I still can't get it to default back to one copy. Any ideas. TIA, Brenda ...

Importing List from Excel to Word printing labels spacing problems
When I import my mailing list from Excel to Word to print mailing labels (30 per page) my labels have large spaces between the lines. For example they look like this: John Doe P.O. Box 000 City, State, Zip And then if I have a business name before John Doe it gets cut off. Is there a way to decrease the space between the lines so it fits better? I have figured out how to do one at a time, but we have 4,000 of these to print! I would like it to look like: John Doe P.O. Box 000 City, State, Zip Thanks for any help! Sounds like a question for a Word newsgroup, not...

Printing in Outlook 2003 #2
I don't often print E-Mails, but I'm stunned (in the negative sense) that the print function in outlook 2003 seem to no longer allow printing of anything other than an ENTIRE E-Mail message. How do I print just the first page? SURELY, they can't have been so dumb as to only allow printing of the entire message? But I don't see the various options to print only the current page, or only specfici pages (although there are options to print only odd or only even pages). What am I missing? Barry Watzman wrote: > I don't often print E-Mails, but I'm stunned (in...

print attachement
Hello, I would like Outlook to check for a specific attachement in incoming email (for example all attached word documents in format "ras*.doc") and to print the attached document automatically. Is is possible using rules ? do I need a script ? any idea how to do it ? Thank you ...

making lines around info so it looks like a table when printed or viewed
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) How do I put horizontal and vertical lines around all the cells so it looks like a table? Display the Toolbox by hitting the Toolbox button. Activate the Formatting Palette (upper left button) then chose Borders and Shading. Make sure you select the cels you want to format.... <br><br>make your choice in de button that has &quot;type:&quot; in front of it. Done Thank you I have been successfully making borders in all my excel worksheets but since the latest update, the palette in excel no longer works. At firs...

open a publisher file wihtout publisher ?
I dont have publisher on my PC but someone sent me a file. Is there any other way to open it ? Hi chris (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I dont have publisher on my PC but someone sent me a file. || Is there any other way to open it ? No. You need Publisher. Have them convert the file to PDF using Acrobat or PrimoPDF (www.primopdf.com) and send it to you. You can then use Adobe Reader to view the file. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranti...

No Print Dialogs
Suggestion - Add the following option to the User Preferences window so the following switch can be completed within the application and not require manually editing the Dex.ini file - NoPrintDialogs=TRUE or NoPrintDialogs=FALSE TechKnowledge Content Question How should the NoPrintDialogs setting be set up in the DEX.INI file? Answer You will need to add this setting to your DEX.INI file: NoPrintDialogs=TRUE and save your changes. A value of TRUE means that print dialog boxes will not appear; if you don't include this line, or use a setting of FALSE, print dialog boxes will a...

entering time
Is there a way to set up a cell so that I can type in 1330, and have Excel put in the colon so it reads 13:30 (military time)? right click sheet tab>view code>insert this. As written, works on a1:a100 Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) 'Ron Rosenfeld <ronrosenfeld@nospam.org> Dim InputRange As Range Dim Temp As Variant Dim i As Integer Dim Separators(2) As String Separators(0) = ";" Separators(1) = "," Separators(2) = "." Application.EnableEvents = False Set InputRange = [A1:A100] 'or whatever If Intersec...

processor time allocation
My app routinely only gets 10 to 30 % of CPU time - the system idle process gets the rest (indicated by windows task manager) My app is multithreaded and has one thread that requires lots of CPU time at 20 Hz intervals. I sleep this thread for an amount of time that would put it at the next 20 Hz interval. My other threads sleep when they are not busy. My 20 Hz thread does not recieve the processor time that it needs - even though the system idle process is taking up 70 to 90 % of the CPU time. If I remove the sleep call from my 20 Hz thread then it hogs all of the CPU time and the s...

Calculate the total overlapping time of multiple tasks, excluding non-working times
I am developing a tracking calculator for an overall process. Within the overall process, there are 3 steps which are completed. These steps can be completed independently from one another, but can also (sometimes) overlap. I am trying to determine the total time for the overall process (from beginning to end), without counting the duplicated times where the steps are running parallel to one another, or times when some steps may be completed and are waiting for another to start. I have outlined the basic design of the worksheet below, with times in mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm format. S...