Publisher - Media Player Problem

Have a laptop user on our network that works in Publisher mainly and
she has a recurring problem of Windows Media Player automatically
launching while she is working on a Publisher project usually but also
sometimes when she is in Outlook. We have tried multiple attempts to
fix this problem but all attempts have failed:

 1. Tried disabling the media player with GUI settings and the
registry.
 2. Tried re-imaging her laptop and reinstalling all programs
 3. Have tried a fresh installation of XP Pro and serviced packed to 1a

(we have decided not to support SP2 on our network yet.)
 4. This morning, as a further troubleshooting effort, installed Winamp

media player to see if it would auto-launch and, low and behold, it did

the same thing as media player was doing (and, no, she hasnt imported
any media files of any type into her project, and it will do this even
on a new project.)

tjenkins1 (2)

Look at your file associations.
Troubleshoot your sound card. With both the Media Player and Winamp behaving the same
way it very well could be a sound driver issue.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
<tjenkins1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Have a laptop user on our network that works in Publisher mainly and
> she has a recurring problem of Windows Media Player automatically
> launching while she is working on a Publisher project usually but also
> sometimes when she is in Outlook. We have tried multiple attempts to
> fix this problem but all attempts have failed:
>

> 1. Tried disabling the media player with GUI settings and the
> registry.
> 2. Tried re-imaging her laptop and reinstalling all programs
> 3. Have tried a fresh installation of XP Pro and serviced packed to 1a
>
> (we have decided not to support SP2 on our network yet.)
> 4. This morning, as a further troubleshooting effort, installed Winamp
>
> media player to see if it would auto-launch and, low and behold, it did
>
> the same thing as media player was doing (and, no, she hasnt imported
> any media files of any type into her project, and it will do this even
> on a new project.)

gsauer (5093)
3/24/2005 7:39:29 PM
tjenkins1@yahoo.com wrote:
> Have a laptop user on our network that works in Publisher mainly and
> she has a recurring problem of Windows Media Player automatically
> launching while she is working on a Publisher project usually but also
> sometimes when she is in Outlook. We have tried multiple attempts to
> fix this problem but all attempts have failed:
>

> 1. Tried disabling the media player with GUI settings and the
> registry.
> 2. Tried re-imaging her laptop and reinstalling all programs
> 3. Have tried a fresh installation of XP Pro and serviced packed to 1a
>
> (we have decided not to support SP2 on our network yet.)
> 4. This morning, as a further troubleshooting effort, installed Winamp
>
> media player to see if it would auto-launch and, low and behold, it
> did
>
> the same thing as media player was doing (and, no, she hasnt imported
> any media files of any type into her project, and it will do this even
> on a new project.)

And I fail to understand the correlation between Publisher and MP.... Could
you please enlighten me...?

--
In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol:  http://www.dts-l.org/

0
test1951 (391)
3/24/2005 8:08:31 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick <test@test.com> was very recently heard to utter:
> And I fail to understand the correlation between Publisher and MP....
> Could you please enlighten me...?

Probably because the problem only occurs when the user is running
Publisher...

I might suggest checking options for speech recognition - if those are
enabled anywhere in Office or Windows, even if you don't have a microphone
installed, they can cause some very strange occurrences.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6344)

Linked graphics into a Publisher 2000 document
I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert two JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I figure the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result? An 11MB file. I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead insert the images using the "Link to File" option. Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked into the file. The size should not be more than 500KB. Result? An 11MB file. Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher 2000 documentr without the file blowing up? And why does it blow up? Regards, Richard. Richard wrot...

Printing Newsletter in Publisher 2003

How to reinstall or repair Windows Media Player 11
My Windows Media Player 11 is broken. It sounds horrible. The sound is garbled and no amount of adjustments change this. Previous attempts to get help fixing this have been unsuccessful. And now, if I burn MP3s with it, to a CD, the CD will not play in stand-alone players. It gives a No Disc message, though I can see that the disc has been burned. So... How about uninstalling it then reinstalling? Repairing it? Rolling back to an older version? I found these instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#RollingbacktoapreviousversionofthePl...

Creating a template using Publisher

Problem with systemstate backup with DPM 2010
Hi! We running DPM 2010RC on a Windows 2008 R2 The Protected computer is: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Standard Edition 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790 When we installed the DPM agent the first backup of system state was successfully, so we have one restore point. But further backups in failing, the system state backup is in status “replica is inconsistent” and when I running a consistent check the job failing. In the error in DPM is: The replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection on sea0700smon1.xxxx.local is inconsistent with the protected data so...

Questiontest-outlookwebservices problem
hi all and thanks for the support. i'm facing a problem with test.outlookwebservices. notice that oulook side everything seems to be pretty good: the autodiscovery and auto-configuration of the account succeedes, the test email autoconfiguration suceedes too. when i launch the test, once it suceedes for certain services and after a while it fails for those services and suceedes for other. look the prints: here are failing the RPC tests Message : [EXCH] The UM is configured for this user in the AutoDiscover response received from https://mytest-EXC1. myt...

publisher 2003 #38
Have just updated from publisher 1998 to 2003 via proffesional office 2003 and have found the "save as" function is terribly slow (as apposed to 98 ) , opening "my computer" is also slow ??? can any one help with this issue ?? That could be a multitude of things. And I'd even guess that most are not Office related. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Publisher "zed" wrote: > Have just updated from publisher 1998 to 2003 via proffesional office 2003 > and have found the "save as" function is terribly slow (as apposed to 98 ) , > opening "my c...

Font problem
It seems that the Cambria Math font has recently acquired an extremely large Ascent and Descent. Has it perhaps always been that way and I've never noticed it before, or is it something recent, perhaps a Vista thing? Try the following code for example. For Arial and Times New Roman (and virtually all other fonts) I am getting pretty much exactly what I would expect (a TextHeight that is a bit larger than the point size) but for Cambria Math I am getting an extremely large TextHeight (I get exactly the same results using GDI32 methods). At this end (on my Vista Business laptop...

08 Mac Office activation problems
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Just found an article posted by michellec and I am faced with exactly the same problem - on 'activation' of the product, none of the 3 product keys seem to be correct, hence activation is unsuccessful!! Have received some help emails (and thanks Diana yours had the microsoft help number that has been good, despite the fact they can't help me and tell me I must get in touch with Digital River) but seems that what I need is another product key, and now that I'm asking for that since about 10 days, I don't get any reply ...

Publisher 2003 & IE 8
I created a web site www.fera.org using Publisher 2003. Lately people using IE8 do not see the menues along the left side, or the bottom. People using Chrome are just fine. Is the a compatibility issue between IE 8 & Publisher 2003? There is a compatibility issue with IE8 and Publisher 2003 and 2007. Any design elements that are 'grouped' together, which includes the Publisher wizard built navbars, do not render when you view the web page in IE8 . The fix in general is to ungroup the elements. There is both a manual fix to these issues and a Service Patch that has been issue...

Media Center takes up 98% processor
After a nice email from Microsoft I had a new look at media center and tried to push videos and pictures to my tv through xbox, this didnt work. I then installed sky player successfully. Then when closed MC down my system was very slow, I noticed in taskman that stdrt.exe was at 250mb and 98%. Ive tried a reboot which didnt work. I removed media center from windows in add remove windows components, after this process was still in memory after restart. It starts at about 5mb and quickly climbs up the ladder using 250mb and all the proccessor time. In order to use pc I have to end...

web preview not same as publisher view
Reading past postings it appears others too are having serious problems with Web preview in both 2002 and 2003. I think the problem is that text handling within text boxes in normal Publisher view simply does not reflect that as seen in Web Preview (currently Explorer 6) On a totally blank (wide setting) webpage, using standard Times New Roman 12pont (no italic underline or bold) I typed six lines of Mary had a little lamb into a 3.85x3.029cm text box with all margins set to 00. I outlined the box with a 1/4pt line Whereas the text just fitted into the box in Publisher view, in Web ...

Autoshapes' visible problem
When I add some Rectangle autoshapes above the embeded chart, I find it's hard to control it's visibility, They maybe hide when I select some cell or activate chart. I want to know how to make them always visible no matter what I select. Thank you in advance! ^_^ Yours,fujing You need to click on the chart before you use the drawing tool. In this way the Shape and the Chart become one. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "fujing1003" <fujing1003@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1171358292.074278.135950@v33g2000cwv...

Publisher 2000? #2
Is there a place where I can still get version 2000? I've been looking, but all I can find are updates and the 2007 trial. My computer can't run 2007. *If* if can be had, try something like eBay. (I wouldn't buy software that way but that's just my preference.) You may find you have better luck finding a leftover copy of Pub 2003 from some online retailers. (I actually prefer that over 2000.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Copying Publisher from One computer to another
I want to copy Publisher from my old computer to my new one, but if I can't seem to locate all the files I need to make it work on the new computer. What should I do? You can't, you have to install it from the CD. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Jasmin" <Jasmin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EB558F1-525D-47BD-A54B-BC62C410D79E@microsoft.com... |I want to copy Publisher from my old computer to my new one, but if I can't | seem to locate all the files I need to make it work on the new computer. What | shoul...

Office 2004 SP 11.1.0 installation problems

RMS and/or PC Charge Problems
We are having some interesting problems with our RMS system and PC Charge: For no apparent reason RMS will have an error message after a card is swiped or keyed into the system: • DENIED (With a wide variety of error messages) • DUPLICATE use F+ to force (even when it is the first transaction) • TIMED OUT Attempted solutions: • Turned modem off and on • Disconnected the modem and plugged everything back in • Turned the server on/off • Called PC Charge only to be told that it is RMS • RMS said it is PC Charge • Confirmed that everything is set up properly in PC Charge and RMS What works:...

Halfway through my publisher document the text starts scrambling
I am in the middle of a Publisher document that I have to get out ASAP and the words are scrmbling all of a sudden; for instance instead of the it prints out eht. HELP!! Might try an updated printer driver. What version Publisher are you using? What printer? What version Windows? Canon has issues with Publisher 98 and Windows 98 How to troubleshoot text printing (inkjet printers) in Publisher 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198258&Product=pub PUB2000: Troubleshooting Text Printing (Laser Printers) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198...

publisher 2002 #11
In publisher 97 you were able to ungroup clipart and recolor piece by piece and make it your own by using Microsoft Draw. How can I do this in Publisher 2002? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from addey <addeym2002@yahoo.com>... > In publisher 97 you were able to ungroup clipart and > recolor piece by piece and make it your own by using > Microsoft Draw. How can I do this in Publisher 2002? Click the picture Arrange > Grouping > Ungroup Click Yes on the dialog The tools that were previously provided by Microsoft Draw have been i...

Outlook 2003 Signature Problem
I've created a signature with my company logo (.jpg file) using Outlook 2003. When the signature is attached in my email, the photo/icon file shows a box with an 'x' in place of the .jpg file. I checked the location where the files are stored and I found the .jpg file in the proper folder under signatures. Thanks in advance for your help. Mike Tools - options -security tab, click on change automatic download settings. Change to what you want. "Mikeul" <Mikeul@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1132112656.7e1c9b39fdb73a3c7ed44fdbd3e3fbc4@fe5.teranews.com......

Problem in restricting users from sending/receving internet email
I have found a helpful articel here: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF009.html I read it through couple times but I would like to ask some questions before I start the work on our Exchange 2000 server. 1. The "group" I am going to create for adding users into the restricting list, will it be a Security group or Distribution group? What group scope should I give it? 2. Under the section of "Restricting Users from Sending Internet Base Email", the article tells us to create a *new* SMTP connector and add the group into the "Dilivery Restriction" page. Will ...

Outlook Draft Email Print Problem
I have emails saved in draft but when i go to print them it doesnt show who it is being sent to and the fact it hasnt been sent yet, i have played with the setting but to no avail. I am using outlook 2003 any help would be appriciated. Turn off WordMail before printing the draft (Tools | Options | Mail Format) or wait to print until after you send it. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx <kpmail76@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:...

Outlook 2002 HTML printing problem
Outlook 2002. I cannot print HTML emails. Plain text prints without any problems just HTML will not. Office xp pro is at all latest service packs. Anyone have an idea what may be wrong? ...