Publisher changes the default paper size before I print

I go to page setup and change to 5 x 7 (as I am makeing a postcard of that 
size). I create the document. Then I go to print. I make sure the paper size 
under page set-up and on my printer is "index card 5 x 8" I hit print. The 
printer or program has changed the papersize to 8.5 x 11 and my pre-cut 
postcards are ruined. What is the issue here? Does anyone know?
0
Rod7490 (89)
11/22/2005 10:40:03 PM
publisher 21446 articles. 6 followers. Follow

4 Replies
617 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 22

 What are the dimensions of your pre-cut card?  If there are two cards per page, use 
the postcard half page setting. If you are setting up your printer for 5 x 8 then the 
printer is expecting stock that is 5 x 8. If there are two cards per sheet, you need 
to setup your page for the dimensions of one card, you will have one card on your 
screen but two will print.
I suggest you use plain paper for experimenting.

-- 
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:248D9C56-AD46-4A96-9D61-31FE69FDADA9@microsoft.com...
>I go to page setup and change to 5 x 7 (as I am makeing a postcard of that
> size). I create the document. Then I go to print. I make sure the paper size
> under page set-up and on my printer is "index card 5 x 8" I hit print. The
> printer or program has changed the papersize to 8.5 x 11 and my pre-cut
> postcards are ruined. What is the issue here? Does anyone know? 


0
gsauer (5093)
11/23/2005 9:31:33 AM
Thanks, but the pre-cut card is actually an 5" x 8" postcard. 1 per sheet. 
When I set everything up and even use print-preview it shows me one card per 
sheet. but when I hit print. The printer defaults to 8 1/2 x 11 and the 1 
card prints incorrectly. I actually went in to the printer settings and 
changed the default paper to the 5x8. But something is still amiss. Publisher 
keeps trying to do what I want. Everytime I save the file I have to go 
through the whole process again.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

>  What are the dimensions of your pre-cut card?  If there are two cards per page, use 
> the postcard half page setting. If you are setting up your printer for 5 x 8 then the 
> printer is expecting stock that is 5 x 8. If there are two cards per sheet, you need 
> to setup your page for the dimensions of one card, you will have one card on your 
> screen but two will print.
> I suggest you use plain paper for experimenting.
> 
> -- 
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> news://msnews.microsoft.com
> "Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:248D9C56-AD46-4A96-9D61-31FE69FDADA9@microsoft.com...
> >I go to page setup and change to 5 x 7 (as I am makeing a postcard of that
> > size). I create the document. Then I go to print. I make sure the paper size
> > under page set-up and on my printer is "index card 5 x 8" I hit print. The
> > printer or program has changed the papersize to 8.5 x 11 and my pre-cut
> > postcards are ruined. What is the issue here? Does anyone know? 
> 
> 
> 
0
Rod7490 (89)
11/25/2005 8:29:03 PM
Do you have a custom setting in your printer? Most printers you can create a custom 
page, give it a name and save. In Publisher's page setup, the paper size will reflect 
this custom setting.
What version Publisher? What printer are you using?

-- 
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:11164194-ABEA-4447-82F9-0CD2E8517BB1@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, but the pre-cut card is actually an 5" x 8" postcard. 1 per sheet.
> When I set everything up and even use print-preview it shows me one card per
> sheet. but when I hit print. The printer defaults to 8 1/2 x 11 and the 1
> card prints incorrectly. I actually went in to the printer settings and
> changed the default paper to the 5x8. But something is still amiss. Publisher
> keeps trying to do what I want. Everytime I save the file I have to go
> through the whole process again.
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>>  What are the dimensions of your pre-cut card?  If there are two cards per page, 
>> use
>> the postcard half page setting. If you are setting up your printer for 5 x 8 then 
>> the
>> printer is expecting stock that is 5 x 8. If there are two cards per sheet, you 
>> need
>> to setup your page for the dimensions of one card, you will have one card on your
>> screen but two will print.
>> I suggest you use plain paper for experimenting.
>>
>> -- 
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>> "Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:248D9C56-AD46-4A96-9D61-31FE69FDADA9@microsoft.com...
>> >I go to page setup and change to 5 x 7 (as I am makeing a postcard of that
>> > size). I create the document. Then I go to print. I make sure the paper size
>> > under page set-up and on my printer is "index card 5 x 8" I hit print. The
>> > printer or program has changed the papersize to 8.5 x 11 and my pre-cut
>> > postcards are ruined. What is the issue here? Does anyone know?
>>
>>
>> 


0
gsauer (5093)
11/25/2005 9:20:59 PM
Adding to Mary's post,  Rod, you may want to consider making your postcards 
a maximum of 4�"x6".  This is the max size USPS  will deliver at the 
postcard rate of 23�.

This information was taken from "Letter-size mail dimensional standards 
template" D-1050251 Rev A.

-- 
Don
Vancouver, USA


"Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:11164194-ABEA-4447-82F9-0CD2E8517BB1@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, but the pre-cut card is actually an 5" x 8" postcard. 1 per sheet.
> When I set everything up and even use print-preview it shows me one card 
> per
> sheet. but when I hit print. The printer defaults to 8 1/2 x 11 and the 1
> card prints incorrectly. I actually went in to the printer settings and
> changed the default paper to the 5x8. But something is still amiss. 
> Publisher
> keeps trying to do what I want. Everytime I save the file I have to go
> through the whole process again.
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>>  What are the dimensions of your pre-cut card?  If there are two cards 
>> per page, use
>> the postcard half page setting. If you are setting up your printer for 5 
>> x 8 then the
>> printer is expecting stock that is 5 x 8. If there are two cards per 
>> sheet, you need
>> to setup your page for the dimensions of one card, you will have one card 
>> on your
>> screen but two will print.
>> I suggest you use plain paper for experimenting.
>>
>> -- 
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>> "Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:248D9C56-AD46-4A96-9D61-31FE69FDADA9@microsoft.com...
>> >I go to page setup and change to 5 x 7 (as I am makeing a postcard of 
>> >that
>> > size). I create the document. Then I go to print. I make sure the paper 
>> > size
>> > under page set-up and on my printer is "index card 5 x 8" I hit print. 
>> > The
>> > printer or program has changed the papersize to 8.5 x 11 and my pre-cut
>> > postcards are ruined. What is the issue here? Does anyone know?
>>
>>
>> 


0
11/25/2005 10:14:32 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Change default fonts in Word 2007
I would like to change the default font, size, style etc that Word 2007 uses when I open a new document. Is this possible? If so could anybody tell me how? Thanks Yes, you can create your own theme / template. See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA102045501033.aspx See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100307561033.aspx Yves "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C456E186-952E-4796-98DC-A70D8FF83D8D@microsoft.com... >I would like to change the default font, size, style etc that Word 2007 >uses > when I op...

Setup Default Maibox for Undeliverable Mail.
I am trying to setup a mailbox that will recive all the mail that is send for an email address that does not exesit on the server. For example If i send somthing to joe@domain.com and there is not user on this domain named joe, instead of it sending a NDR it would deliver to the Webmaster mailbox. Hi Mike You can do this using an SMTP Event Sink as detail here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;315631 -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Mike" <Mike@discussions.micro...

Change Backcolor for the selected line
I would like to be able to highlight or change the color of a single line on a subform formated as a continuous form. The user selects one line from many possible lines on a continuous form to respond to. When he selects the line another pop-up form is display which the user must complete. I would like to maintain some kind of highlight (backcolor?) so that the user can clearly see which line he is reponding to. Setting the backcolor after selecting a line sets the back color for the entire form, which really defeats the purpose. Any help? -- Message posted via AccessMons...

Default value for custom field?
How can I populate a custom field with a default value? Specifically, I have a custom field "DisplayName" associated with the Quote Detail object. I want initially to populate this field with the value of the product name field when a new product is added to a quote. The user can then edit the DisplayName custom field if desired. The DisplayName custom field will be used as the product name on a Crystal Reports quote form. ...

Money Changes Transaction Dates
Hi all, How can I stop Money2004 from changing my transaction dates that I have already entered into the register? This happens when I accept/match downloaded transactions from my bank. Thanks! Well, I think I just answered my own question. I found a check box to untick under online options to fix this, but I will post back if necessary. "rustyfender04" <rustyfender1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eY3zaLITHHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > How can I stop Money2004 from changing my transaction dates that I have > already entered into t...

Change from MS Outlook Rich Text to HTML
I use Outlook 98 and I want to change my message format to HTML so that I can have nice backgrounds etc on my mail. For some reason this facility doesn't seem to be available to me on the 'Mail Format' Tab. It is blacked out and I cannot change it from Rich Text to HTML. Is there anything I can do to sort this out? Could it be because I am on a network at work and they have disabled it? If so, how can I enable it? Cheers! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www...

Outlook 2000 Change Startup Page
Have a problem with Outlook 2000, think it happened when I ran repair. Now everytime I open Outlook the "Outlook Today" page opens, then have to select the inbox folde to view my mail. Used to always open on the Inbox Folder. What have I done, is there a way to restore this. You’ve landed in a Macintosh group, sorry. Try asking your question on the general Office newsgroups. Start here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx DooBee wrote: > Have a problem with Outlook 2000, think it happened when I ran repair. Now > everytime I open Outlook the...

Changing to Combination-chart from existing chart
I have made a Line-chart containing 8 different series. I now want to change 2 of the series to Bars, but in the same chart. How do I proceed to pick the wanted series and transform them to bars? Regards Jan Hi Jan, Right click a line series that you wish to change. From the popup menu select Chart type and pick bar. Cheers Andy Jan wrote: > I have made a Line-chart containing 8 different series. I > now want to change 2 of the series to Bars, but in the > same chart. > > How do I proceed to pick the wanted series and transform > them to bars? > > Reg...

how do i change the default value of measure from points to inche.
how do i change the default value of measure from points to inches when setting the width and hight of cells? You don't. Excel uses only points for these measures best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "yoyo4u" <yoyo4u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33420157-6E05-4A55-9003-088D731E495E@microsoft.com... > how do i change the default value of measure from points to inches when > setting the width and hight of cells? yoyo Row heights are measured in points. There are 72 points to an inch. Th...

Changing source links in powerpoint
I currently have a powerpoint with source links to other powerpoint slides. These source links are currently internet address based links. I'm trying to change these current internet addresses to new internet addresses and each time I try I receive the error message: "You cannot use an internet address here. Enter a path that points to a location on your computer or on the network". I've been able to change the source links in the past and only began to encounter this problem around mid December. Does anyone know how to correct this or explain why I can no ...

visited links no longer change color
The links still work when clicked but, no longer show purple when visited. This happens in both Outlook and Outlook Express. Yesterday I tried making fonts a little larger as I have eyesight problem. Not sure if this is when the link color problem started. What I did exactly is: *Tools > Options > Mail Format > click "Fonts" button > click "International Fonts" button * At first I went through the list making each one "Larger" font size. * I realized that it's probably only "Western European" I need to change, so all others were set ...

Printing #2
I understand that NLQ printing is default in windows. Is there any way one can get a quick draft print of excel reports on a dot matrix printer by changing the printer driver or fonts for instance? Thank you. Hiren, I'm not sure about this setting, but try "Draft quality" in File - Page setup - Sheet. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net President Bush on sovereignty: http://www.tastefullystated.com/sovereignty.wmv ------------------------------------------- "Hiren Shah" <hiren_shah50@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:054901c4961...

Tab control + having same size for all tabs
Hello All I am working on tab control in which I want to set the same size of all tabs of tab control. I am adding the tabs dynamically . When I saw the .NET style tab control ( Look tab control used in MSDN) , I felt that it is more elegant than the old looked MFC tab control. My ultimate goal is to have the same size for all tabs irrespective of text it has ( MFC's default behaviour shows the full text in tab ) If the text exceeds that width, then It will make it shortened by adding .... ( three dots ) (e.g. "The text of tab...Will Come here" ) , I know that I will have to wri...

label printing
There should be a way to print labels from all P.O. being received the same day. to avoid wasting labels. ...

Can you record a macro in Publisher like you can in Excel?
In Excel I use the feature to Record a Macro. Excel records the keystrokes and converts to VB. Does Publisher have that option? In my version, Publisher 2003, I can Create a Macro, and it takes me into VB. However, I don't know how to code VB. Darlene wrote: > In Excel I use the feature to Record a Macro. Excel records the keystrokes > and converts to VB. Does Publisher have that option? In my version, > Publisher 2003, I can Create a Macro, and it takes me into VB. However, I > don't know how to code VB. Publisher does not have a Macro Recorder, sorry. --...

I want to design both side of a post card using publisher 03
I have go side one completed. How do I do the other side??? Insert Page -- Don Vancouver, USA "bettboop" <bettboop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68D78C55-BB03-44EC-97AF-D8FBA74FB95C@microsoft.com... >I have go side one completed. How do I do the other side??? ...

Changing Primary Attribute after creation
I cannot seem to find a way to change any aspect of the primary attribute after creation. Is this the case? It is very hard to work with. I cannot even change the requirement level after creation. This is very diffcult to work with. There's no way to change the primary attribute after creation, so define it carefully when creating a new entity. A big problem is that it's somewhat hidden on the second tab in the entity creation form and it's very easy to forget about it. Anyway, before creating a new entity, you should write down the settings that are not changeable la...

How to let OWA users to change their password ?
How to let OWA users to change their password ? On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 01:58:03 -0800, "Enid" <Enid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How to let OWA users to change their password ? There are quite a few steps but if you follow this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297121 carefuly, you'll be ok. Thanks for your information. Follow the document to enable the change password funcation, but got error when using IE6 w/ SP2 to do change password "error number : 5". It is so tricky if using FireFox, the password change is work. Any suggesti...

Insert Acount# in the PO print
Can some one please let me know where I should place this variable: "PurchaseOrder.Supplier.AccountNumber" in the PO.xml file I woud like to be able to print the Acount # in the PO Thank you jm wrote: > Can some one please let me know where I should place this variable: > "PurchaseOrder.Supplier.AccountNumber" in the PO.xml file > I woud like to be able to print the Acount # in the PO > Thank you > Into receipt header? Open your XML.. and find field date of receipt.. but why you have no AccountNumber into your PO.xml ? Antonio Thank you for a...

Reduce database size
My database is getting pretty large and slow. Is it possible to reduce/compress the size of the database or remove old data? Thanks. coupleofdogs wrote: > My database is getting pretty large and slow. Is it possible to > reduce/compress the size of the database or remove old data? You can shrink databases, rebuild index.. and delete old journal entries (digital copy of receipt) .. which is the size of your database ? cod The database is 911 Mb. It shows I have 16 Mb left. Thanks for any help. "coupleofdogs" wrote: > My database is getting pretty large and slow....

Tracking changes to a cell containing formula
I want to track changes to cells because a formula calculates a ne value, not because i changed directly the value of a cell. the excel help indicate the following: Cells that change because a formula calculates a new value---> To fin cells that change due to recalculation, use the tools on the Auditin toolbar. How to do that? The formula auditing toolbar doesn't seem to hav something like that... Thanks for your tim -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi have a look at 'Tools - Track changes' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I want to track ch...

Investment type change
Need to change a mutual fund from stock type to mutual fund type. I'm assuming that you meant this as a question of how to do this. These instructions should get you there: http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q81. "Jim Signom" <signom@tds.net> wrote in message news:OrQlAn5jDHA.2488@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Need to change a mutual fund from stock type to mutual fund type. > > ...

Trying to change x-axis date range
I have a scatter chart with dates on the x-axis and data on the y. When trying to change the range of my x-axis, I right click on the x-axis, click "format axis" and for "Minimum" and "Maximum" I click "Fixed" but it will only let me enter dates in the number format (i.e. 39983 instead of 6/19/2009). This is really annoying because I am constantly changing ranges to zoom in on the data and need to think about what the number format would be. I didn't have this problem with the earler version of excel (2003), but it started as soon as my offi...

What version of Adobe do I use with Publisher 2003?
I am trying to send a newsletter from Pub 2003. But I only have the free download version of Adobe and I seem to have compatibility issues. I can save the Pub. file as PDF but when I try to open it I get the error message: "Adobe Reader 7 has encountered aproblem and needs to close." and I can choose to send an error report. This only happens with a file containing pages 1 and 2 of my newsletter. I saved it in PDF with only page 1 there's no problem. Any ideas? Monique wrote: > I am trying to send a newsletter from Pub 2003. But I > only have the free download ...

How to change attachment view
I am running Outlook 2000. When I receive a msg. with attachments in plain text format, and I open the msg. in its own window (that is, not viewing it in the Preview window), all the attachments are shown in a separate sub-window at the bottom of the message window. If the received msg. has many attachments (more than will fit in the child window at its default size) and/or the names of any attachments are long, I am unable to view all the attachments and/or the entire file name(s) of the attachments. I know that I can right-click on the child window and change the view from the default (La...