publisher cannot write to a file on a network drive

Publisher can not write to K:\...\...\newsletter.pub to the disk.

Your hard disk may be full or hardware problems.

The network drive is not full and the user has full control over the folder
she is trying to save to.

The user can write to the folder with other apps, i.e. word

Dan Thannhauser wrote:
> Publisher can not write to K:\...\...\newsletter.pub to the disk.
>
> Your hard disk may be full or hardware problems.
>
> The network drive is not full and the user has full control over the
> folder she is trying to save to.
>
> The user can write to the folder with other apps, i.e. word

Had you searched, you'd have found this was a known issue. Publisher abhors
being installed on, and having its files saved to, remote drives. If you
wish to store a Publisher file on a network drive for others to have access
to, you must first save locally then copy across - this is the only way. The
fact that Word doesn't have issues is completely irrelevant. Word is /far/
more flexible than Publisher.
lose his marbles?

0
misstick (379)
9/13/2004 5:03:53 AM
I did search, but couldn't find it.

How come I, with domain admin privileges, can save the exact document that
my user cannot.

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> Dan Thannhauser wrote:
> > Publisher can not write to K:\...\...\newsletter.pub to the disk.
> >
> > Your hard disk may be full or hardware problems.
> >
> > The network drive is not full and the user has full control over the
> > folder she is trying to save to.
> >
> > The user can write to the folder with other apps, i.e. word
>

> Had you searched, you'd have found this was a known issue. Publisher abhors
> being installed on, and having its files saved to, remote drives. If you
> wish to store a Publisher file on a network drive for others to have access
> to, you must first save locally then copy across - this is the only way. The
> fact that Word doesn't have issues is completely irrelevant. Word is /far/
> more flexible than Publisher.
> --
> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
> lose his marbles?

A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Dan
Thannhauser <DanThannhauser@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> How come I, with domain admin privileges, can save the exact document
> that my user cannot.

Nobody knows - it is normally the case that standard users cannot save
direct to network but network admins can, but why is the big question at the
moment.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6342)

How can I email an excel file using my outlook contacts?
"cheflady" <cheflady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9C13E60-150D-4F03-B519-A8769F08CD0F@microsoft.com... > > <sigh> Please use the big white space to write your question........ exactly the same way you email ANY file..... go to file\send\mail recipient( as attachment) "Gordon" wrote: > "cheflady" <cheflady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:F9C13E60-150D-4F03-B519-A8769F08CD0F@microsoft.com... > > > > > > > <sigh> Please use the big white space to write you...

"Registered File Types" "Opens with" What if a common type is not "registered?" Advanced?
I sent a family member as short MPG file (<1MB) as an attachment to an e-mail. He could not open it. I told him to search for some other MPG file that might be on his HD, and see if it opened. He said the found file opened with Real Player. But it seems that there is no obvious way to choose which app opens an attachment. He and I apparently have different MPG-2 decoders, and trying to walk him thru it with my having what must be different versions of apps and utilities and plug-ins was a failure. So I phoned him and thought that I would have him set Windows Media Player ...

Special Pasting Quattro Pro 9 file as bitmap, how to manipulate now?
The only way I could find to get a Quattro Pro 9 file into Excel 2002, with gridlines and the exact diagram (property and house layout), was to copy and paste special it as a bitmap. Now that it's in Excel, I'd like to change some things in the diagram but the cursor, when over the copied part, shows as a 4 sided arrow (a compass rose with 4 arrows pointing to the N,S,E, and W.) and the actual cursor arrow attached to and on the SE part of this 4-sided arrow. This 4 sided arrow cursor can only move the copied part and nothing else . When I move the cursor off the copied part, it reve...

How to recover deleted files?
HELP!!! I messed up big time! I am running out of disk space on my laptop. I wanted to download a movie from UTorrent and was told I did not have enough space. I figured I would move some of my files onto a flash drive to free up space & then I would have room for the movie. Once I watched the movie, I was going to delete it. I share my laptop with my 3 children. There are 3 accounts on my laptop (my youngest child is 6, so he does not have his own account yet), mine and one each for my son and my daughter. I moved the "my documents" folder for both my children onto...

Archive from Inbox on Exchage Server to pst file
I am trying to execute the Auto Archive in a folder "INBOX" located in the Exchange Server, to a pst file located on the Hard Disk. The file "archive.pst" is created but the emails are not moved to the "INBOX" folder in the "archive.pst". How can I fix this problem? I am using the Windows 2000 with Outlook 2002 SP2 Autoarchive works on the "modified" date of the item - perhaps that's your issue. Rogerio wrote: > I am trying to execute the Auto Archive in a > folder "INBOX" located in the Exchange Server, to a pst &g...

Determine cells that drive conditional formatting?
Example: Cells A1:A4 have conditional formatting set up that states if they are equal to cell A10 they will be highlighted yellow. Is there a way to quickly see what cells drive conditional formatting? In other words, we can use Edit -> Go To Special to see which cells have conditional formatting applied; however, this doesn't show us that A10 is involved. Since there isn't a formula directly involved, we can't trace precedents/dependents. Can we only know that A10 is involved in the formatting of A1:A4 by selecting those cells and going into the conditional format...

Windows 7 disk drive problem.
January 23, 2010 Subject: Windows 7 disk drive problem. I can't copy files from my HP Windows 7 disk drive to my hard drive and visa versa. When I got HP support to try to solve the problem my computer crashed. It took them an hour of remote control to get it back running without the original problem of the disk drive resolved. Does anyone know how to do it. Thank you. Gerald On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:21:00 GMT, Gerald Hansen <ghansen@tds.net> wrote: >January 23, 2010 > >Subject: Windows 7 disk drive problem. I can't copy files from my HP >Win...

What is the maximum no of bytes that can be stored in a excel file
what is the maximun of bytes that can be stored in a excel file I am trying to save records from another Quest TOOL called (TOAD) into MS- Excel. Please let me know. Eagerly waiting for your reply Thank -- prekid ----------------------------------------------------------------------- prekida's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2660 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39879 The limit on bytes depends on your computer's RAM. The max number of rows Excel can have is 65536 and the max number of columns is 256....

Printing postcards in Publisher #4
Using Pub2002. WindowsXp. I am trying to print postcards using Publisher. The postcard comes 4/page and the page dimensions are 8.5 x 12. Postcard dimensions are 4.25" x 6". No borders. What's the question? -- Don Vancouver, USA "babygirlnerd" <babygirlnerd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9E97C14-3115-4397-B389-C34CA7B68864@microsoft.com... > Using Pub2002. WindowsXp. I am trying to print postcards using Publisher. > The postcard comes 4/page and the page dimensions are 8.5 x 12. Postcard > dimensions are 4.25" x 6". ...

How can I embed a file as an unopened object in a worksheet or wo.
I want ot place Word, pdf, and other documents into a spreadsheet as objects that can be opened by clicking the icon. Have you tried Insert|object Goat Boy wrote: > > I want ot place Word, pdf, and other documents into a spreadsheet as objects > that can be opened by clicking the icon. -- Dave Peterson ...

Changing data from imported .txt file
When i import data from an old (dos based) program negative numbers appear with the minus behind the number. Does anyone have any idea how i can change them all from 1,234.56- to -1,234.56 so Excel will recognise them? Changing them by hand takes forever. Thank you. If you're using xl2002+ and are using File|Open to open a text file, you'll see a wizard popup. On step 3 of that wizard, there's an advanced button. Click it. There's an option to treat trailing minus signs as negative numbers. If you already have the data in the worksheet, you can use... Dana DeLouis pos...

Why does Excel in XP create new files?
Excel adds duplicate files - Assist Log (2).xle, asssits Log (3).xls. Why? Can I make this stop. It appears all the files are identical - so if I just delete the extra files will I be losing any data? hi, I think this is something new in xl relating to thier file recovery during a GPF shutdown. but i keep getting it even without a GPF. when i save, excel will just up and ask me which file i want to save leaveing me sitting there asking "what do you mean which file. i only have one." it's getting anoying. >-----Original Message----- >Excel adds duplicate files - ...

emf files
There are *.emf files with text in an excel worksheet that have inverted/mirrored letters. Okay indeed. What are emf files doing in an excel worksheet to begin with? These are a type of microsoft temp file. >-----Original Message----- >Okay. > >-- >Greeting from the Gulf Coast! >http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays >"Paul Osborne" <Paul.Osborne@halliburton.com> wrote in message >news:093301c34a17$c60f2390$a501280a@phx.gbl... >> There are *.emf files with text in an excel worksheet that >> have inverted/mirrored letters. > > &g...

Cant Transfer .pst file successfully.
Hi: I just got a new laptop and have been attempting to set up outlook on it (I am using a wireless network). I have copied the mailbox.pst file from my old system on to the laptop, but for some reason when I use file open on outlook it wont pick up the pst file and use it. Import and export wont work because they don't deal with .pst files it appears. Can someone suggest a good way to transfer the address book, especially from one system to the other? Thanks John Baker What do you mean File > Open "won't pick up the pst file?" Of course it will. How did you copy th...

MS Publisher 2003 wont let me send publication in email message.
I'm trying to send a document in the body of an email but all the tutorials I've tried aren't working. I've changed to TIFF, and pdf both unsuccessfully. I would just like to find a way to get to <File><Send email><Send E-Mail as Message>, instead of <Send E-mail as Attachment>. Any help is great Reference: Tips and troubleshooting for sending a publication page as an e-mail message: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HP010390591033.aspx?pid=CH062524821033 Attaching the publication as a PDF is usually the easiest and best way. DavidF ...

Excel looking in wrong place for files
Hi, sometime ago I merged 2 partitions using PM8, and I was asked for a folder name, so I called My docs or something like that, and that folder was created on the said partition. Now when I go to open up a new file in excel it defaults to My Docs. So I formatted that partition changed all references in the Registry, rebooted and still excel is looking for new files in the wrong place. In fact the 'My Docs' folder no longer exists, so is there somewhere in Excel I can change its 'where to look' place? Thanks -- Bob H Leeds UK http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ContemporaryGifts4U...

Publisher 2000 product key not accepted
I am trying install Publisher 2000 and the Product Key, which I have checked and double checked is not accepted. I know it is an old version but just want to create a personal business card. I have Windows XP Pro. Was it a free-standing purchase or an OEM? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A93AD045-6849-4054-BD25-EE7BE0DB28EF@microsoft.com... >I am trying install Publisher 2000 and the Product Key, which I have >checked > and double checked is not accepted. I know it is an old version but j...

Excel 2002 File Extensions
I created a drawing in Excel 2002 and I want to be able to save it in a file extension such as .jpg, .gif or .png so I can use it in Dreamweaver MX2004. I do not see any way to SAVE AS any file at ALL in those file extensions. Am I NOT able to do that? and if not, WHY not? Thank you for your feedback. I am grateful. Richard... Just try to copy/paste it on power point, it have with the right-click the save as picture option. I was unable to find the option directly on excel, however as excel and power point are from microsoft, you should not lose anything when you paste in on PP....

Custom Paper Size For Publisher
I've created 2 custom paper sizes using the "Print Sever Properties" method as suggested by Microsoft and yet neither of these new forms are being shown in Publisher (or word) in either Page Set-Up or Printer Options. Any ideas as to why? You have no idea about setting up print servers. Suggest you find somebody that knows what they are doing in setting up print servers. "aghent" <aghent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D275C608-1FCA-408B-967B-F380A288E461@microsoft.com... | I've created 2 custom paper sizes using the "Print Sever P...

how to I e-mail a multiple page newsletter in publisher
I created a news letter in Publisher, a two page newsletter. I tried to e-mail the newsletter to myself but all I get in the e-mail is the first page not both. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Please can anyone help with my frustration? Can't send it as a multipage newsletter. You have two choices. Create a lonnnnnnnnnnnng email that is one "page" wide or convert it to a .pdf and send it as an attachment. Warning - if you do it as the lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng email, it probably will not print past the first "page". -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publi...

Letter Writing Assistand and Collections Letters (GP8.0)
We are trying to streamline things in here and we are currently looking at GP helping us with getting the $$ in quicker. Question - has the letter writing assist replace collections letters in v8.0? I ask because the collections letters maintenance fields are greyed out in v8.0 Cheers Theo We have been told by our Microsoft Partner that If you have the collections Module then Letter writing will not work. We are struggling with getting the collectins module to work. "Theo@australia.org.au" wrote: > We are trying to streamline things in here and we are > currently l...

Comma separated files
my bank downloads my history and trans by way of comma separated files, i can nicely import to excel so the csv file is reconized. but money 04 does not seem to have a csv import option. any help would be greatly appreciated. i see 05 and 06 is out. purchased this pc recently and it shipped w/money and is legal Have a look at the bottom of this page. http://money.mvps.org/ofx.aspx -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/sugg...

Powerpoint 2007 File Conversion
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I recently created a presentation on my work computer in Powerpoint 2007 with the following extension - .pptx. I'm unable to open this file with my current version of Office for Mac v.11.5.1. I get a dialogue box telling me to download Office 2004 Update 11.5.0 so that I can use the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac. When I download the installer and try to run it, I get an error message that states: "The installer could not locate the correct version of the software required to install this update. See the...

Email file does not retain same page content
The receiver of the email receives it with page 1 contents flowing onto page 2 . Page 2 picks up at end of the overflow and so on... Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice BizTalk: Incorporating conditional If / Else Functoid Logic in a map. http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/f6fc20ab-5c6a-4f04-8a0b-bba39e4bbcf0/biztalk-incorporating-co.aspx <Jetty donaldson> wrote in message news:2010416115618jetreal@cox.net... > The receiver of the email receives it with page 1 contents flowing onto page > 2 . Page 2 picks up > at end of t...

viewing publisher documents
How can I view a publisher document without publisher? While in a state of ecstasy after repairing his laptop, Ed sees a message from Esther Feldman <Esther Feldman@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > How can I view a publisher document without publisher? a) With the Publisher Demo, available at Microsoft.com for the cost of shipping and handling. b) By getting the creator or sender of the file to convert it to PDF using a free application such as PrimoPDF (www.primopdf.com) -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this me...