Publisher cannot open the file #8

I create a monthly newsletter using Publisher 2007. After installing an
update, my computer would not function properly, so I did a restore to the
point just before the update (created by the installation program). Now
publisher will not open the saved newsletters, giving me a dialogue box that
says 'Publisher cannot open the file.' Publisher will open other saved files,
including several that are incorporated into the newsletter (ads). When I
copy the files to a memory stick and try to open them on another computer
(mine, also running Office 2007), the files open. I have tried opening the
files on the second computer, saving them to another memory stick then trying
to open them again on the first computer, I get the same "cannot open"
comment. Why is publisher saying it cannot open the files on the computer
they were created on?
0
Elayne (5)

This is a known issue, Microsoft has a hotfix that addresses the error.

Description of the Publisher 2007 hotfix package (Publisher.msp) June 30, 2009
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972566/

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Elayne" <Elayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I create a monthly newsletter using Publisher 2007. After installing an
> update, my computer would not function properly, so I did a restore to the
> point just before the update (created by the installation program). Now
> publisher will not open the saved newsletters, giving me a dialogue box that
> says 'Publisher cannot open the file.' Publisher will open other saved files,
> including several that are incorporated into the newsletter (ads). When I
> copy the files to a memory stick and try to open them on another computer
> (mine, also running Office 2007), the files open. I have tried opening the
> files on the second computer, saving them to another memory stick then trying
> to open them again on the first computer, I get the same "cannot open"
> comment. Why is publisher saying it cannot open the files on the computer
> they were created on?

0
mary.sauer (2018)
7/24/2009 10:54:58 AM
This hotfix says it is to fix a problem created once Office service pack 2
has been installed - this installation failed when it tried on my computer -
will this fix still work? Also, it only happens with some files, while others
still work fine...again, is this the correct fix for the problem?

Thanks,
Elayne

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> This is a known issue, Microsoft has a hotfix that addresses the error.
>
> Description of the Publisher 2007 hotfix package (Publisher.msp) June 30, 2009
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972566/
>
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Elayne" <Elayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I create a monthly newsletter using Publisher 2007. After installing an
> > update, my computer would not function properly, so I did a restore to the
> > point just before the update (created by the installation program). Now
> > publisher will not open the saved newsletters, giving me a dialogue box that
> > says 'Publisher cannot open the file.' Publisher will open other saved files,
> > including several that are incorporated into the newsletter (ads). When I
> > copy the files to a memory stick and try to open them on another computer
> > (mine, also running Office 2007), the files open. I have tried opening the
> > files on the second computer, saving them to another memory stick then trying
> > to open them again on the first computer, I get the same "cannot open"
> > comment. Why is publisher saying it cannot open the files on the computer
> > they were created on?

0
Elayne (5)
7/24/2009 3:25:02 PM
Elayne wrote:
> This hotfix says it is to fix a problem created once Office service
> pack 2 has been installed - this installation failed when it tried on
> my computer - will this fix still work? Also, it only happens with
> some files, while others still work fine...again, is this the correct
> fix for the problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Elayne
====================================
Was the update you installed and subsequently
reverted from 'Office SP2'? If it was...you might
try reinstalling it and then run the fix.

Good luck.

--

      J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

            Notice
This is not tech support
      I am a volunteer

 Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

0
oobie1 (130)
7/24/2009 3:49:39 PM
Not 100 per cent sure, but I don't think so...SP2 has been trying to install
for a while and continually fails. Any idea why this is?

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Elayne wrote:
> > This hotfix says it is to fix a problem created once Office service
> > pack 2 has been installed - this installation failed when it tried on
> > my computer - will this fix still work? Also, it only happens with
> > some files, while others still work fine...again, is this the correct
> > fix for the problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Elayne
> ====================================
> Was the update you installed and subsequently
> reverted from 'Office SP2'? If it was...you might
> try reinstalling it and then run the fix.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
>
>       J. Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
>             Notice
> This is not tech support
>       I am a volunteer
>
>  Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

0
Elayne (5)
7/24/2009 6:07:01 PM
Elayne wrote:
> Not 100 per cent sure, but I don't think so...SP2 has been trying to
> install for a while and continually fails. Any idea why this is?
==============================
Why...I don't know.

Just to clarify...are you talking about Office SP2 or
Windows Vista SP2?

Might be worth a try to download Office SP2 to your
desktop and install from there.

The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://tinyurl.com/cfq34v
   or...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b444bf18-79ea-46c6-8a81-9db49b4ab6e5&displaylang=en

FWIW...it's always best if you create a System Restore
point before installing software or updates.

Good luck.

--

      J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

            Notice
This is not tech support
      I am a volunteer

 Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

0
oobie1 (130)
7/24/2009 9:19:35 PM
Office SP2...and thanks for the advice - I do always create a restore point.
This problem began happening once I used the restore point to go back. Go
figure.

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Elayne wrote:
> > Not 100 per cent sure, but I don't think so...SP2 has been trying to
> > install for a while and continually fails. Any idea why this is?
> ==============================
> Why...I don't know.
>
> Just to clarify...are you talking about Office SP2 or
> Windows Vista SP2?
>
> Might be worth a try to download Office SP2 to your
> desktop and install from there.
>
> The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> http://tinyurl.com/cfq34v
>    or...
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b444bf18-79ea-46c6-8a81-9db49b4ab6e5&displaylang=en
>
> FWIW...it's always best if you create a System Restore
> point before installing software or updates.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
>
>       J. Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
>             Notice
> This is not tech support
>       I am a volunteer
>
>  Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

0
Elayne (5)
7/24/2009 10:09:01 PM
I am having this same problem, suddenly all my publisher files won't open but
2, the most recent and one from over 2 years ago.  I tried this hotfix and it
did not solve this problem.

"Elayne" wrote:

> I create a monthly newsletter using Publisher 2007. After installing an
> update, my computer would not function properly, so I did a restore to the
> point just before the update (created by the installation program). Now
> publisher will not open the saved newsletters, giving me a dialogue box that
> says 'Publisher cannot open the file.' Publisher will open other saved files,
> including several that are incorporated into the newsletter (ads). When I
> copy the files to a memory stick and try to open them on another computer
> (mine, also running Office 2007), the files open. I have tried opening the
> files on the second computer, saving them to another memory stick then trying
> to open them again on the first computer, I get the same "cannot open"
> comment. Why is publisher saying it cannot open the files on the computer
> they were created on?
0
Surfat (2)
8/11/2009 11:09:01 PM
Did you install the patch? Or did you just download it?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Surfat" <Surfat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having this same problem, suddenly all my publisher files won't open
>but
> 2, the most recent and one from over 2 years ago.  I tried this hotfix and
> it
> did not solve this problem.
>
> "Elayne" wrote:
>
>> I create a monthly newsletter using Publisher 2007. After installing an
>> update, my computer would not function properly, so I did a restore to
>> the
>> point just before the update (created by the installation program). Now
>> publisher will not open the saved newsletters, giving me a dialogue box
>> that
>> says 'Publisher cannot open the file.' Publisher will open other saved
>> files,
>> including several that are incorporated into the newsletter (ads). When I
>> copy the files to a memory stick and try to open them on another computer
>> (mine, also running Office 2007), the files open. I have tried opening
>> the
>> files on the second computer, saving them to another memory stick then
>> trying
>> to open them again on the first computer, I get the same "cannot open"
>> comment. Why is publisher saying it cannot open the files on the computer
>> they were created on?

0
jl_paules (2768)
8/11/2009 11:22:17 PM
Oops!  Installed and works!  Thank you....

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> Did you install the patch? Or did you just download it?
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Surfat" <Surfat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having this same problem, suddenly all my publisher files won't open
> >but
> > 2, the most recent and one from over 2 years ago.  I tried this hotfix and
> > it
> > did not solve this problem.
> >
> > "Elayne" wrote:
> >
> >> I create a monthly newsletter using Publisher 2007. After installing an
> >> update, my computer would not function properly, so I did a restore to
> >> the
> >> point just before the update (created by the installation program). Now
> >> publisher will not open the saved newsletters, giving me a dialogue box
> >> that
> >> says 'Publisher cannot open the file.' Publisher will open other saved
> >> files,
> >> including several that are incorporated into the newsletter (ads). When I
> >> copy the files to a memory stick and try to open them on another computer
> >> (mine, also running Office 2007), the files open. I have tried opening
> >> the
> >> files on the second computer, saving them to another memory stick then
> >> trying
> >> to open them again on the first computer, I get the same "cannot open"
> >> comment. Why is publisher saying it cannot open the files on the computer
> >> they were created on?

0
Surfat (2)
8/12/2009 12:09:01 AM
Glad to have helped.

--

> Oops!  Installed and works!  Thank you....
>
> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>
>> Did you install the patch? Or did you just download it?
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Surfat" <Surfat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having this same problem, suddenly all my publisher files won't
>> >open
>> >but
>> > 2, the most recent and one from over 2 years ago.  I tried this hotfix
>> > and
>> > it
>> > did not solve this problem.

0
jl_paules (2768)
8/12/2009 11:31:51 AM
I installed the hotfix, and still get the same error (unable to open
file).  When I try to re-install the office-kb972566-fullfile-x86-glb
file I get a message stating "The update is already installed on this
system".  This is making me crazy.
Any further suggestions?

--
pvermilyea
pvermilyea's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=746

There is always the option to remove the service pack.

Microsoft Service Pack Uninstall Tool for the 2007 Microsoft Office suite
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954914/en-us

There is a registry fix that was posted before the service pack.
Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot
open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"pvermilyea" <pvermilyea.3xjfk3@thecodecage.com> wrote in message

> I installed the hotfix, and still get the same error (unable to open
> file).  When I try to re-install the office-kb972566-fullfile-x86-glb
> file I get a message stating "The update is already installed on this
> system".  This is making me crazy.
> Any further suggestions?
>

> Surfat;449633 Wrote:
>> Oops!  Installed and works!  Thank you....
>>
>> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>>
>> > Did you install the patch? Or did you just download it?
>> >
>> > --
>> > JoAnn Paules
>> > MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> > Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>> >

>> > "Surfat" <Surfat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> open
>> hotfix and

>> installing an
>> restore to
>> program). Now
>> dialogue box
>> saved
>> When I
>> computer
>> opening
>> then
>> open"
>> computer
>> >

> --
> pvermilyea
> pvermilyea's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=746
> View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=119152

0
mary.sauer (2018)

Linked graphics into a Publisher 2000 document
I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert two JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I figure the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result? An 11MB file. I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead insert the images using the "Link to File" option. Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked into the file. The size should not be more than 500KB. Result? An 11MB file. Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher 2000 documentr without the file blowing up? And why does it blow up? Regards, Richard. Richard wrot...

Printing Newsletter in Publisher 2003

How to get XML data out of an XML file

How do I create different headers for each section in publisher
I need to create unique headers for each section of a publication using microsoft publisher. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? james <james@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I need to create unique headers for each section of a publication > using microsoft publisher. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do > this? What version of Publisher are you using? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org/ Publisher 2003 "Ed Bennett" wrote: > james <james@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently...

Multiple PST Files #2

Money 2006 file repair application error

publisher 2003 #38
Have just updated from publisher 1998 to 2003 via proffesional office 2003 and have found the "save as" function is terribly slow (as apposed to 98 ) , opening "my computer" is also slow ??? can any one help with this issue ?? That could be a multitude of things. And I'd even guess that most are not Office related. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Publisher "zed" wrote: > Have just updated from publisher 1998 to 2003 via proffesional office 2003 > and have found the "save as" function is terribly slow (as apposed to 98 ) , > opening "my c...

Application hanging on file load...
Okay, I'm having the strangest problem, and I'm hoping somebody here will be able to give me an idea of how to attack it... I have an MFC application that does some networked communication, multi-threading, fun stuff... I also load and save xml configuration files. Now, on most of the computers I've run my software on, I have absolutely no problems. On SOME boxes, however, whenever I use my menu to try to load or save a file... before the File Dialog box even comes up... the application hangs. All the boxes I've tried this on have been Windows 2000 boxes with Service Pack 4....

Publisher 2003 & IE 8
I created a web site www.fera.org using Publisher 2003. Lately people using IE8 do not see the menues along the left side, or the bottom. People using Chrome are just fine. Is the a compatibility issue between IE 8 & Publisher 2003? There is a compatibility issue with IE8 and Publisher 2003 and 2007. Any design elements that are 'grouped' together, which includes the Publisher wizard built navbars, do not render when you view the web page in IE8 . The fix in general is to ungroup the elements. There is both a manual fix to these issues and a Service Patch that has been issue...

can't open files

toggling between open work books
Re EXCEL97 under WinXP-Pro w/SR-2 Microsoft Windows allows you to easily toggle between applications using Alt-Tab. Is there a similar key board to toggle between two open workbooks in Excel? One can use Alt-W to display list of open workbooks, but you can�t just blinding hit the up or down arrow, because the most recently accessed workbook is not always at the top or bottom. I realize that I could get around the problem of opening two copies of Excel and then toggling using the Alt-Tab keys, but typically I�ve got two workbooks open in one copy of Excel before I realize I need the f...

Opening for Great Plains Developer in SF Bay Area
Hi, We have a current position open for a Great Plains developer to perform dB maintenance for Great Plains installation. Open to Contract or Contract to Perm. Full job description on request. Please email if you are interested. Thanks, Brendan McIntyre brendan@emailpcs.com ...

Creating a template using Publisher

Open Workbook
I have a query that pulls 2 fields from a table. One field (ReportName) is selected from a form combo box. The second field (ReportLocation) in the query is the full path of the ReportName selected. I want to open the workbook using the ReportLocation, when the ReportName in the form changes. So I need to the code to enter in "On Change" for my form, so whatever report is selected, it opens up. Please help. Thank you in advance. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200802/1 here is my current code that doesn'...

I can no longer convert my files to pdf

Outlook Data Files #4

web preview not same as publisher view
Reading past postings it appears others too are having serious problems with Web preview in both 2002 and 2003. I think the problem is that text handling within text boxes in normal Publisher view simply does not reflect that as seen in Web Preview (currently Explorer 6) On a totally blank (wide setting) webpage, using standard Times New Roman 12pont (no italic underline or bold) I typed six lines of Mary had a little lamb into a 3.85x3.029cm text box with all margins set to 00. I outlined the box with a 1/4pt line Whereas the text just fitted into the box in Publisher view, in Web ...

Backup Excel file

Utility (pref. script) to catalog .EDB files
Hi, I have a client that is using an Enterprise backup tool which, whilst able to back-up and restore, does not provide in-depth information like traditional Exchange-aware backup products. I have been asked to write a script to list the users in a flat .EDB file (which has been snapped and copied and flushed using SAN replication tools). I have taken a look at the ESE API, which can only be accessed using C + (I only use VB). Other than EXMERGE, does anyone know of any tools that allow you to list the basic mailbox details on a EDB file? Thanks, Hutton. ...

Publisher 2000? #2
Is there a place where I can still get version 2000? I've been looking, but all I can find are updates and the 2007 trial. My computer can't run 2007. *If* if can be had, try something like eBay. (I wouldn't buy software that way but that's just my preference.) You may find you have better luck finding a leftover copy of Pub 2003 from some online retailers. (I actually prefer that over 2000.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Copying Publisher from One computer to another
I want to copy Publisher from my old computer to my new one, but if I can't seem to locate all the files I need to make it work on the new computer. What should I do? You can't, you have to install it from the CD. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Jasmin" <Jasmin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EB558F1-525D-47BD-A54B-BC62C410D79E@microsoft.com... |I want to copy Publisher from my old computer to my new one, but if I can't | seem to locate all the files I need to make it work on the new computer. What | shoul...

outlook not responding #8
when i go and open outlook i get a screen that says outlook is unavailable.and then it says don't send or send to microsoft. i keep recieving this message. what is happening What version of Outlook and have you tried Detect and Repair? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, jonna asked: | when i go and open outlook i get a screen that says | outlook is...