publisher cannot open the file #7

We saved a file in Publisher on the network. It's a template we've used for
several months. When we tried to open the file again, Publisher detected a
problem with the file and stated that if the file could be trusted select OK.
 Then it could not open the file.  Tried the .TMP file, differnet machines,
copying, and renaming - no luck.

The file is there, but cannot open.  Is there a recvovery tool available?
0
ljd (3)

Publisher doesn't play well with networks. You could try moving the file to
a local drive. No guarantees but it's worth trying.
--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"ljd" <ljd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We saved a file in Publisher on the network. It's a template we've used
> for
> several months. When we tried to open the file again, Publisher detected a
> problem with the file and stated that if the file could be trusted select
> OK.
> Then it could not open the file.  Tried the .TMP file, differnet machines,
> copying, and renaming - no luck.
>
> The file is there, but cannot open.  Is there a recvovery tool available?

0
jl_paules (2768)
12/1/2008 11:47:30 PM
Tried that already. It didn't work. Why should the Network affect an Office
PRoduct? Isn't that one of the benefits of Office - for users to share
documents accross networks?

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> Publisher doesn't play well with networks. You could try moving the file to
> a local drive. No guarantees but it's worth trying.
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "ljd" <ljd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We saved a file in Publisher on the network. It's a template we've used
> > for
> > several months. When we tried to open the file again, Publisher detected a
> > problem with the file and stated that if the file could be trusted select
> > OK.
> > Then it could not open the file.  Tried the .TMP file, differnet machines,
> > copying, and renaming - no luck.
> >
> > The file is there, but cannot open.  Is there a recvovery tool available?

0
ljd (3)
12/2/2008 3:54:04 AM
How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198256

I will try opening the file here if you want to send it along.
mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com
--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

> Tried that already. It didn't work. Why should the Network affect an Office
> PRoduct? Isn't that one of the benefits of Office - for users to share
> documents accross networks?
>
> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>
>> Publisher doesn't play well with networks. You could try moving the file to
>> a local drive. No guarantees but it's worth trying.
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "ljd" <ljd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We saved a file in Publisher on the network. It's a template we've used
>> > for
>> > several months. When we tried to open the file again, Publisher detected a
>> > problem with the file and stated that if the file could be trusted select
>> > OK.
>> > Then it could not open the file.  Tried the .TMP file, differnet machines,
>> > copying, and renaming - no luck.
>> >
>> > The file is there, but cannot open.  Is there a recvovery tool available?

0
mary.sauer (2018)

Hyperlink has changed on file re-opening
[Excel 2002, Win XP Pro] Hi All, i have cells in a sheet whose cell contents are hyperlinked to wor documents. the hyperlink is generated using VBA. part of the fil name includes the '[' and ']' characters (square brackets) when the macro is run, everything works fine (click in one of the cell and the appropriate word file opens) BUT when the workbook is closed an re-opened, the '[' & ']' is changed to '%5b' and '%5d' respectivel (which i guess is some srt of charatcer code for those symbols) if the hyperlink macro is re-run, it 're...

Opening Access without Menus displayed
Access 97 I have created a simple data lookup form for a customer to look up his own jobs in a shared database - there is only the one form in the mdb(e) that auto-opens on application startup. I have unchecked all the Startup functions etc. The program auto-opens the form okay but there is the default menu bar displayed across the top of the application window. The tool bars do not show. Is there a way to open the program and not show ANY menus as well? My form close event also quits the application. I intend to provide this as an mde. Any ideas gratefully appreciated Piri Piri wrote: &...

how do I create qif files from Excel for import into Quicken?
Want to import a bunch of financial data that's in Excel into Quicken. Can I create a QIF file from Excel? You'll need a converter utility for this. Here's a google search that might help: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-31,GGLD:en&q=convert+excel+to+quicken tj "pb" wrote: > Want to import a bunch of financial data that's in Excel into Quicken. > Can I create a QIF file from Excel? Hi *pb*, See if http://xl2qif.chez.tiscali.fr/xl2qif_en.php suits your purpose. Don't forget to back up the folde...

Publishing Website
I have a solution with multiple projects. On my LOCAL computer in Visual Studio 2008, I can choose a website, mouse right click, choose Publish and it publishes to my LOCAL c:\temp\webSiteName directory. It works great. I then use a bat to zip and copy the published project to the remote web server. (I am doing it this way instead of directly publishing the project to the website because it takes forever to copy the VERY BIG published project if it is not zipped.) I would like to NOT to have to "choose a website, mouse right click, choose Publish" and do this as pa...

Using Publisher for long reports
Hi. I write long reports (50 pages) in which layout and style are very important. I'm thinking of switching from Word to Publisher since Word's management of pictures and layout drives me wild. Can anyone advise me if Publisher might be the right choice? Does anyone have some long document templates they could show me? -- Giles It sounds like Publisher would be perfect for you since you indication that the layout is important. I can't help with a sample tho because (1) the longest I've done is about 24 pages and (2) my newsletters contain personal contact information and...

Running 2 Versions of Publisher
I want to install and try the Publisher 2007 trial version. I currently have Pub 2002 on my machine. Can I install both versions? Or does 2007 screw up 2002? Or can I install 2007 on another HD on my system w/out touching my 2002 install? I DO NOT want to screw up my 2002 version - I have many files/clients who use it and we all know how stupid Pub is about reading files made in different versions. It would be very nice if the two could run side-by-side, and you could have both installed and running so you could choose between them. I don't suppose that's possible is it?Dawn I ...

How do I open doc's from Publisher 2000 when I am using Pub 2003?
I recently purchased Publisher 2003 and can't seem to edit any document from a previous version. Are you running Norton AV? Try disabling NAV Script Blocking ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Start NAV Click Options. If a menu appears when you click Options, then click NortonAntiVirus. The Norton AntiVirus Options dialog box appears. Click Script Blocking. Uncheck Enable Script Blocking (recommended). Click OK. Restart the computer if prompted to do so. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "GAR" <GAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01222D01-7A00-4...

Contacts File Link?
I have several computers on a home network and WLM does a fine job of keeping the contacts in sync on all the computer. I am giving one of the systems to a friend. What is the best way to un-sync the contacts file on the system that I am giving away so they can have there own contacts file? Uninstall WL and reinstall with a new WL ID or Passport? Create a new Windows user. Remove the old user. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:2099F8C5-9BCE-4229-A3D2-5187C1F4FFF9@microsoft.com... > I have several...

Export to Text Files Based on Field Value
I have an Access table with personal information (e.g., first name, last name, birth date, etc.) for thousands of people. The table is sorted by state. I want to be able to run a macro on that table that will create separate pipe delimited text files for each state with all fields included. Any help would be appreciated? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/201005/1 Instead of exporting the table, export a query based on the table. You will have to have some code that loops through the states and modifies the quer...

Cannot open earlier version of access database
I'm trying to open Northwind database with MS Access 2003. The problem is that a dialog box appears prompting me to go to Database > Tools > Convert Database, however, the dialog box re-appears over a couple of times and disallows the user from doing anything within MS Access. If you are getting the Convert dialog you will need to convert the database to the version that you are working in and save it and then open it next time instead of the original file. During the convert process it will not change the original file. It will make a NEW copy for you to use. I wonder w...

You a 7-Day FREE Trial
We Are Offering You a 7-Day FREE Trial to the internet's Hottest New Business Opportunity! If you missed out on the DOT COM boom, now is your chance to cash in on the massive and growing global demand in our $20 BILLION PER YEAR market. We'll show you how to create an income that will come to you for years and grow with each passing month. A SIMPLE, Fully-Automated, REJECTION-FREE Internet Marketing System! Finally, an EASY, proven, FREE system that will truly help anyone willing to follow our guidance succeed! Average People Are Making Money! Average people are putting their home...

How to import Eudora files into Outlook
I've searched the forum, and everyone seems to have already been able to bring their old Eudora files into Outlook. I am now trying to do this but cannot figure out how. I'm not even sure exactly where to find my Eudora files, much less get them over to Outlook 2007. Can someone help me here. My hard drive crashed last Friday and I have rebuilt a new one except for my email program. I have been using Thunderbird temporarily, but I really don't like it. My Eudora files are saved to a hard drive and Thunderbird imported them with no problem. But I can't for the life of me figur...

Data Loss in Publisher
Hi I run a W2k network in a school. I have Office Group Policies in place forcing the default save location for Publisher documents (Office XP version) to the pupil's home folders. All my PCs are identical (ghost images). Pupils have roaming profiles (some mandatory). Some users save work in Publisher and the next time they log on to the network and open the saved file, it's contents have gone! There is nothing exceptional about the affected users' user accounts and they have a mixture of mandatory and roaming profiles. Has anyone come across this problem before? Than...

Is there a way to extract files from the Off line files cache
I have a laptop that used to be a member of a SBS 2003 domain and was utilizing folder redirection of My Documents. The laptop was never reconfigured to remove it from the domain and the user continued to use the domain login. Since that time (about a year ago), the computer and user were removed from the SBS domain. So far so good, the user on the laptop was happy.. Today, the laptop was worked on and was removed from the domain. Now, the question is, where are the files that used to be in My documents? I beleive they are cached in the Offline files folder (C:\wind...

File Stuck In Outbox
I have a 6 MB file that can not be sent or deleted from my inbox. I followed the "Assistance" suggestions on the MS web site but had no luck. Any idea? http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/recover_deleted.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/...

My OL 2000 will not open-get error message
I have MS Office Premium-all of the other programs work. When I try to open OL2000 I get the the error msg. MS Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. I removed MS Office Premium and re-installed it-same problem. I also clicked repair from Control Panel-same problem. -- Roma Does it work correctly when trying to start Outlook in Safe Mode? Start-> Run; outlook.exe /safe For additional troubleshooting steps see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www...

How to delete a .mny file...
I'm new to Money 2003. I imported Quicken 2002 data, and for some reason, one or two accounts did not completely transfer. I repeated the import and opened a new Money file (with a new name.) This time it went smoothly. Simple question: can I just delete the old Money file I first created? Is it as simple as going to "my computer" and deleting the appropriate .mny file? Thanks for any response. EL In microsoft.public.money, EL wrote: >I'm new to Money 2003. I imported Quicken 2002 data, and >for some reason, one or two accounts did not completely >...

Page break in publisher to change from portraite to landscape
I am trying to change one page from portrate to landscape without effecting the rest of the pages, but each time i try it effects all the pages. I know in word you can select page break. Is there something similar in publisher as i am unable to find this? -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/publisher/200707/1 Pub 2000 here and for me to do what you want I must leave the page in question as portrait and turn the text and images 90�. -- Don Vancouver, USA "chedd via OfficeKB.com" <u18187@uwe> wrote in message news:75f1cac2d1fca@...

How do I make a single pdf page out of 4 publisher pages?
I would like to be able to send this newletter in pdf format by email. The people who receive it would like to scroll through the 4 pages. So far all I have been able to do is make a pdf out of each page and attach ~ as an attachement. They have to open each attachment to see the next page. Any help appreciated!! As you save to pdf look for a statement that says, "Append to existing file". This way all four pages will be in one file. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Cody" <Cody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0855587A-6DA5-410...

convert or open .pub file
I have recieved a file with a .pub extention. I do not have publisher, any ideas on how to open it, and readers that I can download. No trial is offered for this program to download? I tried acrobat distiller (microsoft said it would work) but it dosent work thank corey corey wrote: > I have recieved a file with a .pub extention. I > do not have publisher, any ideas on how to > open it, and readers that I can download. ================================= Best bet would be open it in the Publisher version that created it. There are no Publisher viewers. Here's some info you ma...

Unable to run excel macro after changing file name
After changing the filename in an excel macro, receiving Error number 5 - Invalid procedure call or argument when users with excel 2000 run the macro. Users with excel 2003 are not having this issue Post the line of code that is causing the error. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "merf" <merf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F68DF323-214D-4F01-8D8E-654F9500242E@microsoft.com... > After changing the filename in an excel macro, receiving Error > number 5 - > Invalid procedure cal...

Unable to open address book
Every time I try to open my address book in microsoft outlook, The computer says "the address book has been either deleted or you dont have permission to open the address book. I have the proper permissions. I dont know how to correct the problem. I tried to re-create the address book , but to no avail. Please help me. Sincerely Gary Monetta Post your Outlook version so we can answer you. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00b701c3c57c$adb12470$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Every time I try to open my address book in micr...

Help with Links to Files
Hello, I have a file in Word 97-2003 compatibility mode. When I select the Office Button / Prepare I see an option to Edit Links to Files. If I convert the file to 2007 format the option for Edit Links to Files is no longer there. Where did they go? thanks, mitch This is strange. The Edit Links to Files option should be available even if you save in Word 2007 format. Are you sure you didn't inadvertently break the link to the automation object? You could press Alt+F9 to see that the field code for the object is still intact. (Note that you can only see the field co...

Seam-Excel error when exporting file
When I export an excel file from a website the file exports with the file name of 'seam-excel' and I can't format the cells or create a pivot table without saving and re-naming the file. How can I get my file to not export with that file name? Is it a security setting? Have never heard of this problem being generated through Excel alone. I would suggest the source would be at the website from which you are exporting. Can you post a URL? I'd like to have a look just out of curiosity. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:41:01 -0800, fallou...

Publisher Data Base
Is there any way to convert an existing excel address list to a Publisher data base for mail merge? Since there are close to 1000 entries I do not want to manually add each one. You don't have to convert anything. Use the Excel list for the mail merge. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Richard Las Vegas" <Richard Las Vegas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:909EDBF8-26DC-4661-B36C-1D3FE52CB66E@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to convert an existing excel address list to a Publisher > data base for mail merge? Since there are close t...