Publisher cannot open the file #6

I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an
ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded
Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
(2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document,
I got the same error.

Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from
opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
protection. I have not upgraded from another version.

I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
difference.

Please help!

LJM
0
LJM (12)

Have you tried opening the documents with the anti-virus you do have disabled?
Have you changed printers? Do you have a default printer selected in the printer
folder? Is your printer driver current?

What version Publisher are you using?

How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198256/en-us

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"LJM" <LJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an
> ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded
> Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
> (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
> Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document,
> I got the same error.
>
> Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from
> opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
> protection. I have not upgraded from another version.
>
> I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
> difference.
>
> Please help!
>
> LJM

0
mary-sauer (6480)
1/4/2008 8:41:51 PM
Mary,

> Have you tried opening the documents with the anti-virus you do have disabled?

Yes, and it still won't open.

> Have you changed printers?

No, I have not changed printers.

> Do you have a default printer selected in the printer folder?

Yes, my default printer is still selected.

> Is your printer driver current?

Yes, the printer driver is current.

> What version Publisher are you using?

I'm using Publisher 2002

> How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher

I've gone through this web site and tried everything. I even copied the file
to a thumb drive and tried it out on another computer. It worked on the other
computer, but it still won't work on my machine. I even renamed the file and
it won't open.

Any other suggestions?

LJM

> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "LJM" <LJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an
> > ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded
> > Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
> > (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
> > Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document,
> > I got the same error.
> >
> > Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from
> > opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
> > protection. I have not upgraded from another version.
> >
> > I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
> > difference.
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > LJM

0
LJM (12)
1/4/2008 9:45:05 PM
Is the file on a CD?  If so, maybe copy to a hard drive and try opening
again.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

> Mary,
>
>> Have you tried opening the documents with the anti-virus you do have
>> disabled?
>
> Yes, and it still won't open.
>
>> Have you changed printers?
>
> No, I have not changed printers.
>
>> Do you have a default printer selected in the printer folder?
>
> Yes, my default printer is still selected.
>
>> Is your printer driver current?
>
> Yes, the printer driver is current.
>
>> What version Publisher are you using?
>
> I'm using Publisher 2002
>
>> How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher
>
> I've gone through this web site and tried everything. I even copied the
> file
> to a thumb drive and tried it out on another computer. It worked on the
> other
> computer, but it still won't work on my machine. I even renamed the file
> and
> it won't open.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> LJM
>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "LJM" <LJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep
>> >an
>> > ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not
>> > upgraded
>> > Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
>> > (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
>> > Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007
>> > document,
>> > I got the same error.
>> >
>> > Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher
>> > from
>> > opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
>> > protection. I have not upgraded from another version.
>> >
>> > I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
>> > difference.
>> >
>> > Please help!
>> >
>> > LJM

0
Engineer5094 (821)
1/4/2008 10:18:49 PM
Don,

> Is the file on a CD?  If so, maybe copy to a hard drive and try opening
> again.

I opened it on another computer and it worked just fine. I renamed the file
and brought it back to my computer. My computer won't open either the
original nor the new one.

LJM
0
LJM (12)
1/4/2008 11:12:00 PM
Can you send the file my way? I don't know why it would open on another computer
but not on yours.

mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Don,
>
>> Is the file on a CD?  If so, maybe copy to a hard drive and try opening
>> again.
>
> I opened it on another computer and it worked just fine. I renamed the file
> and brought it back to my computer. My computer won't open either the
> original nor the new one.
>
> LJM

0
mary-sauer (6480)
1/4/2008 11:46:09 PM
Mary,

> Can you send the file my way? I don't know why it would open on another computer but not on yours.

I am quite hesitant to send the file, as the information within it is very
confidential. Is there another way to handle the problem?

LJM
0
LJM (12)
1/5/2008 1:39:05 AM
Mary,

Thanks for all your help. I just un-installed Publisher and then
re-installed it. Tried to open the file and it worked just fine. Somehow the
program just became corrupted.

Again, thank you for your help.

LJM

p.s. Thanks for your understanding about not sending the file, too.
0
LJM (12)
1/5/2008 1:51:01 AM
Hello from Illinois.  I had the same problem, and NOTHING on the Microsoft
website has helped me at all.  I maintain a school district newsletter, which
is sent out monthly.  I take last year's newsletter, open it, save it as a
new file, edit as necessary, etc.  Never had one issue EVER until I had to
download the Office 2007 compatibility patch.  That is what hosed my files!!!
 Once I removed the patch my troubles were almost over....I still had to
completely copy/paste every single text box & clipart from the OLD newsletter
into a brand new blank publisher document, which was a pain, but at least I
had the ability to get my newsletter done again.  I started a thread
somewhere on this list, which I cannot find again, and the ever-so-helpful
Mary berated me for using OLD files!!!  Why in the world would anyone ever
want to use a program and have to reinvent the wheel each and every month?  I
thought the whole purpose of using Office was to make your life simpler?
anyway, I've had it with the microsoft so called knowledge base, with their
so-called "experts", and all of it, and rely on other users like us for
answers.  I hope this helps you in some way...happy publishing!

"LJM" wrote:

> I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an
> ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded
> Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
> (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
> Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document,
> I got the same error.
>
> Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from
> opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
> protection. I have not upgraded from another version.
>
> I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
> difference.
>
> Please help!
>
> LJM
0
Jababas (2)
1/10/2008 1:15:00 PM
Did I really berate you? Corruption happens, when you use the same file over and
over the file will become unstable. Stuff that you included, then removed will
still be part of the file. Pictures especially are  problematic.

The compatibility patch did nothing to correct problems in Publisher. Publisher
2007 is compatible with all prior versions.  We are the orphans of the Office
group. Publisher 2007 has a host of bugs...

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Jababas" <Jababas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello from Illinois.  I had the same problem, and NOTHING on the Microsoft
> website has helped me at all.  I maintain a school district newsletter, which
> is sent out monthly.  I take last year's newsletter, open it, save it as a
> new file, edit as necessary, etc.  Never had one issue EVER until I had to
> download the Office 2007 compatibility patch.  That is what hosed my files!!!
> Once I removed the patch my troubles were almost over....I still had to
> completely copy/paste every single text box & clipart from the OLD newsletter
> into a brand new blank publisher document, which was a pain, but at least I
> had the ability to get my newsletter done again.  I started a thread
> somewhere on this list, which I cannot find again, and the ever-so-helpful
> Mary berated me for using OLD files!!!  Why in the world would anyone ever
> want to use a program and have to reinvent the wheel each and every month?  I
> thought the whole purpose of using Office was to make your life simpler?
> anyway, I've had it with the microsoft so called knowledge base, with their
> so-called "experts", and all of it, and rely on other users like us for
> answers.  I hope this helps you in some way...happy publishing!
>
> "LJM" wrote:
>
>> I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an
>> ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded
>> Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
>> (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
>> Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document,
>> I got the same error.
>>
>> Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from
>> opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
>> protection. I have not upgraded from another version.
>>
>> I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
>> difference.
>>
>> Please help!
>>
>> LJM

0
mary-sauer (6480)
1/10/2008 1:54:19 PM
Funny, since uninstalling the program and reinstalling it, I can open the
files. But the next time I try to open it, I run into the same problem. I
have uninstalled and reinstalled now four times. I have opened the program
and saved it as something new and I can't even open the new file. As a matter
of fact, almost all of the files on the computer can't be opened.

Maybe there is something to the 2007 patch.

LJM

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Did I really berate you? Corruption happens, when you use the same file over and
> over the file will become unstable. Stuff that you included, then removed will
> still be part of the file. Pictures especially are  problematic.
>
> The compatibility patch did nothing to correct problems in Publisher. Publisher
> 2007 is compatible with all prior versions.  We are the orphans of the Office
> group. Publisher 2007 has a host of bugs...
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Jababas" <Jababas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello from Illinois.  I had the same problem, and NOTHING on the Microsoft
> > website has helped me at all.  I maintain a school district newsletter, which
> > is sent out monthly.  I take last year's newsletter, open it, save it as a
> > new file, edit as necessary, etc.  Never had one issue EVER until I had to
> > download the Office 2007 compatibility patch.  That is what hosed my files!!!
> > Once I removed the patch my troubles were almost over....I still had to
> > completely copy/paste every single text box & clipart from the OLD newsletter
> > into a brand new blank publisher document, which was a pain, but at least I
> > had the ability to get my newsletter done again.  I started a thread
> > somewhere on this list, which I cannot find again, and the ever-so-helpful
> > Mary berated me for using OLD files!!!  Why in the world would anyone ever
> > want to use a program and have to reinvent the wheel each and every month?  I
> > thought the whole purpose of using Office was to make your life simpler?
> > anyway, I've had it with the microsoft so called knowledge base, with their
> > so-called "experts", and all of it, and rely on other users like us for
> > answers.  I hope this helps you in some way...happy publishing!
> >
> > "LJM" wrote:
> >
> >> I pastor a small church and want to print out donations for 2007. I keep an
> >> ongoing document with a separate page for each donor. We have not upgraded
> >> Publisher or made any changes to it. Today I tried to open last year's
> >> (2006's) document to compare with this year. I got an error stating:
> >> Publisher cannot open the document." When I tried to open the 2007 document,
> >> I got the same error.
> >>
> >> Microsoft suggests contacting Symantec because it prevents Publisher from
> >> opening a document from a previous year. I don't own Norton's virus
> >> protection. I have not upgraded from another version.
> >>
> >> I tried to repair the Publisher installation, but it made absolutely no
> >> difference.
> >>
> >> Please help!
> >>
> >> LJM

0
LJM (12)
1/12/2008 5:28:00 AM
When you are able to open the file after the re-install remove the images if
there are any and resave. It is usually images that have corruption.
A poster sent me his file with many pictures, I couldn't open it, even in safe
mode. I finally downloaded a trial recovery program and recovered what I could.
The poster had worked on the file for a long time; it wasn't the content he
wanted recovered, but the formatting.
Anti-virus programs can be problematic.
The 2007 patch had nothing to do with Publisher. We are under the radar for some
reason. There are lots of bugs in the 2007 version that have not been addressed
by the developers.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Funny, since uninstalling the program and reinstalling it, I can open the
> files. But the next time I try to open it, I run into the same problem. I
> have uninstalled and reinstalled now four times. I have opened the program
> and saved it as something new and I can't even open the new file. As a matter
> of fact, almost all of the files on the computer can't be opened.
>
> Maybe there is something to the 2007 patch.
>
> LJM
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Did I really berate you? Corruption happens, when you use the same file over
>> and
>> over the file will become unstable. Stuff that you included, then removed
>> will
>> still be part of the file. Pictures especially are  problematic.
>>
>> The compatibility patch did nothing to correct problems in Publisher.
>> Publisher
>> 2007 is compatible with all prior versions.  We are the orphans of the Office
>> group. Publisher 2007 has a host of bugs...
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "Jababas" <Jababas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello from Illinois.  I had the same problem, and NOTHING on the Microsoft
>> > website has helped me at all.  I maintain a school district newsletter,
>> > which
>> > is sent out monthly.  I take last year's newsletter, open it, save it as a
>> > new file, edit as necessary, etc.  Never had one issue EVER until I had to
>> > download the Office 2007 compatibility patch.  That is what hosed my
>> > files!!!
>> > Once I removed the patch my troubles were almost over....I still had to
>> > completely copy/paste every single text box & clipart from the OLD
>> > newsletter
>> > into a brand new blank publisher document, which was a pain, but at least I
>> > had the ability to get my newsletter done again.  I started a thread
>> > somewhere on this list, which I cannot find again, and the ever-so-helpful
>> > Mary berated me for using OLD files!!!  Why in the world would anyone ever
>> > want to use a program and have to reinvent the wheel each and every month?
>> > thought the whole purpose of using Office was to make your life simpler?
>> > anyway, I've had it with the microsoft so called knowledge base, with their
>> > so-called "experts", and all of it, and rely on other users like us for
>> > answers.  I hope this helps you in some way...happy publishing!

0
mary-sauer (6480)
1/12/2008 10:22:43 AM
There was only one picture in the file. I had deleted that and saved it, and
when I tried to open it, it couldn't open it.

LJM

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> When you are able to open the file after the re-install remove the images if
> there are any and resave. It is usually images that have corruption.
> A poster sent me his file with many pictures, I couldn't open it, even in safe
> mode. I finally downloaded a trial recovery program and recovered what I could.
> The poster had worked on the file for a long time; it wasn't the content he
> wanted recovered, but the formatting.
> Anti-virus programs can be problematic.
> The 2007 patch had nothing to do with Publisher. We are under the radar for some
> reason. There are lots of bugs in the 2007 version that have not been addressed
> by the developers.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "LJM" <LJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Funny, since uninstalling the program and reinstalling it, I can open the
> > files. But the next time I try to open it, I run into the same problem. I
> > have uninstalled and reinstalled now four times. I have opened the program
> > and saved it as something new and I can't even open the new file. As a matter
> > of fact, almost all of the files on the computer can't be opened.
> >
> > Maybe there is something to the 2007 patch.
> >
> > LJM
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> Did I really berate you? Corruption happens, when you use the same file over
> >> and
> >> over the file will become unstable. Stuff that you included, then removed
> >> will
> >> still be part of the file. Pictures especially are  problematic.
> >>
> >> The compatibility patch did nothing to correct problems in Publisher.
> >> Publisher
> >> 2007 is compatible with all prior versions.  We are the orphans of the Office
> >> group. Publisher 2007 has a host of bugs...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >>
> >> "Jababas" <Jababas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
LJM (12)

Bought Pub 2003 now it won't open my Pub 2003 file
I just bought Publisher 2003 yesterday. I spent 3 hours creating a project. I tried to laod the saved project and got the message "Publisher can not open file. I tried open pun 97 files with the same result. I've used Publisher 2.0, 97 for years. What am I missing? Most likely you are running Norton Anti-Virus. Norton AV can actually break a Publisher file rendering it unusable. You need to disable script-blocking and possibly the Office plug-in components of Norton AV. Refer to http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub2002/pub2002_issues.htm -- David Bartosik - MS MVP for Publisher help...

How to convert Quicken QFX files?
I am unable to convert a Quicken QFX file to be used in Microsoft Money 2003. Any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, Greg wrote: >I am unable to convert a Quicken QFX file to be used in >Microsoft Money 2003. Any ideas? Have you tried File->Import? ...

Can't open .pub files either
I have installed / unistalled / installed / uninstalled Publisher 2003 several times and have the same problems others seem to have. I can create and save a .pub file but cannot open them. Get the "cannot find file" message followed by the "cannot open" message. I have loaded the same Publisher program on another computer in our office and it works fine. To save time I should said ahead of time that we: DO NOT use Norton Antivirus DO use Norton Internet Securities which have been set to "allow scripts" Please help! If I cannot re-open and re-edit .pub fi...

Opening Second Instance of Access
Running MSA2K3. I have this problem a lot. I have an MDB open and I run a query. It uses up most of my CPU, but I'm still able to open and work in other applications (IE, Lotus Notes, whatever). However, if I try to open another MDB, it doesn't seem to open until the other MDB finishes processing. If I enter debug mode in MDB #1, then MDB #2 opens right up. What I think is happening is when I open MDB #2, Windows/Access sees there's another instance of Access running, so it uses the first instance to load the MDB--instead of just starting another instant of Access. Has anyon...

enumerating file on a directory
hi, How can i enumerate files on a directory based on a filter like "*.h" and store the result on an array on VC++. tnx, hope you guys can help. I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you? http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html Look For CFileFind Class if working in MFC or FindFirstFile FindNextFile or FindClose if you project based on Win32 -- cheers, Alok Gupta Visit me at http://alok.bizhat.com "lawrence" <las@cybees.com> wrote in message news:#NvsWCRXFHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > hi, How can i enumerate files on a directory based on a filter...

How do I print a text file ?
Hi, I am new to the group and wonder if any of you could offer any advice. I am trying to print a text file directly from my visual c++ application to the default printer without displaying the print dialog What is the best way of doing this ? If it is not possible to print directly from a text file, what commands to I use in between CDC::StartPage () To print the following Hello, my name is Joe Bloggs How are you I hope you can help with this problem etc..... CDC::EndPage () Thanks in advance Paul Paul, More info on printing than you can comfortably shake a stick at: http://www....

Outlook pst file
My original pst file was about 30 mb in size. Somehow it is corrupted and showing only 30 kb in size. I am not able to recover my previous info. Is there any way to retrieve info from this pst. You could try the inbox repair tool, scanpst.exe David "Ajay" <ajayget@indiatimes.com> wrote in message news:07e301c358de$6534d0d0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > My original pst file was about 30 mb in size. Somehow it > is corrupted and showing only 30 kb in size. I am not able > to recover my previous info. Is there any way to retrieve > info from this pst. ...

Published 2000 pictures make file sizes too big
I have scanned pictures using Microsoft Photo/Draw. The pictures are around 250 KB but when I put them in my Published document, the file grows to 14,000KB. I can't email them or save them on a floppy. How can I get this file size down You may have to convert the file to a pdf format. Publisher just make humongous files. You have several choices when it comes to a pdf converter program from freebees to Adobe Acrobat. The later is on the spendy side and the freebees may disappoint you. My choice after comparing 5 pdf converter programs was PDF-XChange, a very nice commercial produc...

Log files in Great Plains 8.0
We use a web based program to import orders from our website into Great Plains. We have recently come across some errors where invoices show up with no associated order or customer information. The only thing that shows on these invoices is item information. I believe these invoices are generated somehow by a glitch in the import we do for our web orders. Is there a log file somewhere in GP where I can see what information was entered based on date? Or if anyone else has experienced this problem before, am I correct in my assumption that the "ghost" invoices are being caused by ...

Format problem #6
Somehow my formatting appears to be defaulting to time. Everytime I copy formulas or data from one cell to another the format changes to time. How do you stop this from happening? -- Gary If you land the cell pointer on a particular cell and cut-and-paste, then the format of the original cell will follow to the pasted cell. If you're encountering "phantom" formats then the cell may have been previously formatted. I tried to get a blank sprdsht to behave in the manner you describe, and couldn't. My error: this often happens to me when using cells formatted as dates or...

Open File Dialog Help
I am trying to set the m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir to "My Music" on an open file dialog, but can't seem to get it to work right. I would like it to default to the c:\documents and settings\user\My Documents\My Music, regardless of the machine the application is running on. The project is being built using Visual C++ 6.0 Professional, on a Windows 2K machine, but may be running in any Windows environment. Thanks, SHGetSpecialFolderPath(CSIDL_PERSONAL) gets you to My Documents ...

Copy a file with only values no formulas
Is there an easy way to copy a workbook so that it only has the values and not the formulas? Thank you. -- Lee Coleman Right click on a sheet tab and select all sheets. Then select all cells on the active sheet. Do a copy, then Edit, paste special, values. Right click on a sheet tab and select ungroup sheets. Save the workbook under a different name!!!! Bob Flanagan Macro Systems http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins and downloadable books on VB macros for Excel "Lee Coleman" <lee@nospam.jjlgreenhouses.com> wrote in message news:OIOx4$FeHHA.4020@TK2MSFTN...

No files selected in openfiledialog
How can I test for openfiledialog OK clicked without any files being selected? (I'm using it with multiple select as true.) I've tried if openfiledialog1.filenames = nothing then ... and if ubound(openfiledialog1.filenames) = -1 then ... but both these give compile errors. Grateful for advice. Am 11.05.2010 15:46, schrieb simonc: > How can I test for openfiledialog OK clicked without any files being > selected? (I'm using it with multiple select as true.) > > I've tried > > if openfiledialog1.filenames = nothing then ... > &g...

Importing large tab-delimited text files?
I deal with very large data sets that are in tab-delimited .txt format. Many times, there are more than 256 columns of data. The Microsoft Knowledge Base had an article titled "Sample Macro to Import Data with More Than 256 Fields or Columns". This could do the trick for me if I could modify the macro to accomodate tab-delimited formats. Q1: Could anyone tell me how to modify the macro described above for tab-delimited .txt files? Q2: Does anyone know of a bulk file conversion utility that would change a tab-delimited text file to a CSV format? Thanks a bunch, Mark R-S Ma...

Exchange System Manager slow to open
It takes my system manger about 3-5 minutes to open. anyone have any idea why this is so. i have my AD dns entries in my TCP\IP properties. I was able to open this program normally before i did a system reload. now it is super slow. ???? help chris holcombc@mail.ecu.edu ...

VBA Help #6
I know this is simple so I apologize for posting it. I'm looking for the VBA code to take a sheet and sort the rows (below row 2) by a certain column, descending. After sorting, I want Excel to provide shading in alternating rows. For example: Row 2 - no shading Row 3 - Shading Row 4 - no shading Row 5 - shading. Thanks in advance for the help. On Jan 25, 10:47=A0am, SHalper <scott.m.hal...@gmail.com> wrote: > I know this is simple so I apologize for posting it. =A0I'm looking for > the VBA code to take a sheet and sort the rows (below row 2) by a > certain column,...

Reading ranges and copying data from Excel when it is not open
Is there a way in code to copy data out of an Excel file even if Excel is not up and running? If Excel were open, I'd copy, say, the first 30 rows and paste the info to PowerPoint. Then, since rows 1-5 are for column headings, I'd hide rows 6-30 and copy a new range which would look involve 30 rows, but since rows 6-30 were hidden would be 1-5 and then 31-55 as a contiguous block. I am trying to do this in VBA without opening Excel and instatiating objects, etc. Is it possible? What VBA commands would I use? You would need to treat the excel file as a database and use ADO to g...

Relative File locations
I have a program that opens file #1 in folder XYZ. In this file is a reference to another file #2 in another folder. Is there a way to reference file #2 so if I put file #2 and file #1 in the same folder, the reference will always be made to the folder that contains the file #1, no matter where I may relocate it? Thanks, ...

PUBLISHER
I have duplicated HUNDREDS OF PAGES of this 27 page publisher document - then deleted & recopied. Now, it says CANNOT COMPLETE OPERATION. I'm pannicked! Because i really need to understand why. HELP! What do you mean you duplicated hundreds of pages of a 27 page document? You've created duplicate pages? What operation can Publisher not complete? Sounds like you've corrupted the file (and the question). You may have to re-state this question. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "Mark Mera" <Mar...

Answer file local admin password
Hi, I am trying to apply a local admin password to all PC's during my ghost roll out. Everthing works from my answer file with the only exception the local admin password is not applied. Here is the current part of my answer file [GuiUnattended] AdminPassword="R0ver" EncryptedAdminPassword=NO ...

Publisher calendars #2
I'd like to know how to put the "Sunday" column at the far left This is determined by your regional settings in the control panel. A workaround, find a year where Sunday falls on your calendar start day and change the week headings. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "arriputter" <arriputter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFA42774-09A1-4A61-AEC0-0E61C45B6975@microsoft.com... > I'd like to know how to put the "Sunday" column at the far left ...

Schedueled Auto Send .xls File to Receipients
I have an MS2007...I have a progress tracking excel spreadsheet that I must send to certain associates on a biweekly basis. What functionality exists or coding is reqiuried for my document to be automatically sent to selected receipients on a scheduled basis until the project is complete? ...

Outlook error on opening
I'm receiving the following msg when I open Outlook: 'C:\Documents&Settings|Application data\microsoft\addins\C:\progra~1\micros~2\office11\addins\outbak.dll" is not a valid Office Add-in. I can then click on OK and Outlook will open. I have attempted to locate this file to remove it, but search comes up empty. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Did you have the Outlook Personal Folders Backup utility installed at one time? If yes, just go to Tools->Options-.Other->Advanced and under Add-in Manager, uncheck this from the addins list. --� Milly Staples [MVP - O...

publishing images with Excel workbook
I have created an workbook with Excel and put a photo on the first page. when I publish the workbook as an web page (interactivity) my photo is missing. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I have try everything I know to do = insert picture, putting copying photo to clipboard and shift, pasta picture and still logo is missing. Lee ...

Can publisher 2003 be installed on 2 computers?
I have a office computer and home computer. I will be purchasing Publisher 2003, but can I install them on both of my computers? campfig wrote: > I have a office computer and home computer. I will be purchasing > Publisher 2003, but can I install them on both of my computers? Technically, Publisher 2003 can be installed on a desktop and a mobile computer (ie laptop). When you go to activate your second computer it just depends on whether or not you tell them it's a laptop. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com Windows Marketplace Moderator This...