publisher cannot open the file #4

I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history for
our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory, save
your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003 was
the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching historical
materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!
0
history (3)

It may not be salvageable. Open Word, File - Open - change the file type to
"Recover text from any file" and select that Publisher document.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can at least extract your text.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"AGS history" <AGS history@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history
>for
> our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
> morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory,
> save
> your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003
> was
> the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
> now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
> files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching
> historical
> materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
> morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!

0
jl_paules1 (1069)
3/8/2006 12:26:44 AM
Happiness is a recent backup... Another lesson learned!
"AGS history" <AGS history@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history
>for
> our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
> morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory,
> save
> your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003
> was
> the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
> now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
> files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching
> historical
> materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
> morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!

0
Chuck
3/8/2006 2:29:11 AM
How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198256/en-us

Look in your temp folder, you might get lucky. In Windows Explorer, type %temp%
in the address bar, find a temp file that has "pub" as a prefix, change the .tmp
extension to .pub.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"AGS history" <AGS history@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history for
> our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
> morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory, save
> your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003 was
> the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
> now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
> files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching historical
> materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
> morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!

0
gsauer (5093)
3/8/2006 9:08:52 AM
Hello - were you able to access  the  file  successfully or  what  was the
outcome?
Please  advise  me  as  i  have  just  found  myself  in  the  same  hole !!
ASAP lease

"AGS history" wrote:

> I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history for
> our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
> morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory, save
> your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003 was
> the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
> now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
> files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching historical
> materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
> morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!
0
usa1 (1)
8/30/2006 7:49:02 PM
Is this a file you created or something that was sent to you?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"usa1" <usa1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello - were you able to access  the  file  successfully or  what  was the
> outcome?
> Please  advise  me  as  i  have  just  found  myself  in  the  same  hole
> !!
> ASAP lease
>
> "AGS history" wrote:
>
>> I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history
>> for
>> our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
>> morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory,
>> save
>> your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003
>> was
>> the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
>> now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
>> files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching
>> historical
>> materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
>> morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!

0
jl_paules (2768)
8/30/2006 8:05:40 PM
Hi JoAnn,
This same thing happened to me on a 40 pg workbook.  Luckily I had already
sent it to print, so the printer has a copy of it.  My problem, is that I
cannot open it from my publisher file, my saved docs file or my outbox.  I
tried your suggestion below and was presented with a bunch of unreadable
symbols.  Any suggestions?  Your last post was in 2006 - anything new that
might work?
Thanks.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

> It may not be salvageable. Open Word, File - Open - change the file type to
> "Recover text from any file" and select that Publisher document.
>
> I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can at least extract your text.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "AGS history" <AGS history@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history
> >for
> > our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
> > morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory,
> > save
> > your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003
> > was
> > the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
> > now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
> > files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching
> > historical
> > materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
> > morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!

Are you using 2003? If you are using 2007 there is a hotfix.
Description of the Publisher 2007 hotfix package (Publisher-x-none.msp):
October 27, 2009
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/976177/en-us

Some suggestions here:
How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198256
or
Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot
open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us

--
Mary Sauer MVP
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"workbook" <workbook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi JoAnn,
> This same thing happened to me on a 40 pg workbook.  Luckily I had already
> sent it to print, so the printer has a copy of it.  My problem, is that I
> cannot open it from my publisher file, my saved docs file or my outbox.  I
> tried your suggestion below and was presented with a bunch of unreadable
> symbols.  Any suggestions?  Your last post was in 2006 - anything new that
> might work?
> Thanks.
>
> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> It may not be salvageable. Open Word, File - Open - change the file type to
>> "Recover text from any file" and select that Publisher document.
>>
>> I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can at least extract your text.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>

>> "AGS history" <AGS history@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have spent weeks working on a newsletter containing 70 years of history
>> >for
>> > our non-profit.  I was putting the final touches on the newsletter this
>> > morning when a window popped up saying windows has insufficient memory,
>> > save
>> > your document, or try closing additional windows.  This file on Pub 2003
>> > was
>> > the only window open at the time.  I saved the doc but when I try to open
>> > now, it says publsher cannot open the file.  I can open all the other pub
>> > files but this one.  Please, I spent countless hours researching
>> > historical
>> > materials to put this together and it is supposed to go to print tomorrow
>> > morning.  Any assistance would be more than appreciated.  Thanks!

0
Mary

file will not save
One of my excel files will not save. it seems to work ok, but when i try to save it, i get a "document not saved" message. the file cannot be closed unless i agree not to try to save it. any ideas why i cannot save this file? #1. Are you working off a floppy? If yes, then don't do this. Use windows explorer to copy from floppy to harddrive and work from there (and save there). Then use windows explorer to copy back to floppy. #2. You're saving to a location that you don't have permission to save to. #3. Your diskdrive is out of space??? missionary wrote...

Missing File Day 3 No resolution ?
No. Is this file something that can be sent to me? -----Original Message----- From: "Diane Poremsky" <info@cdolive.com> Sent: 4/12/2004 8:15:04 PM Subject: Re: Missing file still.... did you have different versions or suites of office installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Kyle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Access denied opening XML attachment
A user on my network cannot open an xml attachment in Outlook 2003. It works fine in previous versions. It says "access denied. Error processing resource." If the file is saved to a drive, then it opens without a problem. Is there some security configuration that would cause this behavior? I have tested on multiple machines and multiple users to rule out profile or other causes. I have also checked security on the tmp folder the file is trying to open from. Any insight would be helpful. -Paul ...

Switching between multiple open windows
I ran across an option to change how to switch between multiple open windows on my desktop. It was an option to choose between hovering over a window or clicking on it. Thinking that only having to hover over a window to switch to it would save time, I selecting the option to hover... big mistake as it just became a big pain in the a_ _ for me. Now I would like to change back to one-clicking to change between viewed windows but can't remember or find where the option is located. Any help will be appreciated. -- rushl On 2/03/10, rushl posted: > I ran across an opti...

open subfolders automatically on mail entry -- not happening.
Hello all. Have a problem that happens in one Outlook 2002, but not another -- so I know there's a likely setting someplace, but can't find it. I've even stumped my company's IT people on this one: I download mail through several rules (and accounts); and ship them to various subfolders off of parent folders. What I desire is to have the email automatically open the appropriate folder -- revealing the affected subfolder -- when new mail comes into it. In one of my Outlooks (both 2002), this does open automatically revealing the new highlighted message. But the other do...

Cannot open Money Deluxe 2007
New laptop, successfully using Money, then now I cannot open it. Windows keeps shutting it down. Tried running as admin. Tried uninstalling, then reinstalling. Help! -- Karen In microsoft.public.money, Karen wrote: >New laptop, successfully using Money, then now I cannot open it. Windows >keeps shutting it down. Tried running as admin. Tried uninstalling, then >reinstalling. Help! What OS? Is there an error message? Were you successfully using Money on that new laptop? Did the problem occur recently? You might want to consider a system restore point from before the pr...

ProbleM: when I restore a mailbox using Exmerge with a pst file, nothing is transferred.
Hi, I am practising Exmerge for a big remote site migration in a couple of weeks. One thing I dont understand is that I can backup one test mailbox fine using Exmerge (I know this works, as I have opened the mailbox pst file within outlook and everything is there), but when I perform the restore using the pst file, nothing happens. There is no error messages, and Emerge goes through the motions (though it finishes supsiciously quick), but when I open the mailbox, no emails have been restored. Although it is great that Exmerge is working for the backup part of the stage, I am disappointed it i...

Reboots when opening Word documents in Outlook 2000
Whenever I try to open a Word document in Outlook 2000, my computer reboots. This just started happening. I have reloaded Office 2000, done virus scans and checked my pc with Spybot. Nothing has been identified. Any ideas? ...

Unable to open the outlook window.
I just downloaded Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 to my computer. When I try to open Outlook, the window opens for about 2 seconds and then closes automatically. I received an error message: "cannot start microsoft office outlook. unable to open the outlok window. the server is not available. contact your system administrator if this problem persist." I'm have home based computer and don't have an administrator. Can anyone help? Did you create a profile with settings (email account, POP3 and SMPT server names, etc.) for Outlook to use? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Ti...

Importing ofx file
I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working and I have to manually import the file into money. Not a big deal, but an annoyance just the same. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a fix for this? tia dennisd In message <QK3kl.3776$rt3.617@newsfe15.iad>, dennis <djd@home.net> writes >I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account >information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working >and I have to manually import the fi...

cannot open Outlook
When I try to open Outlook 97 I get the following error: Mapisp32 This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Registers: EAX=00000000 CS=015f EIP=bff7b997 EFLGS=00000246 EBX=00000000 SS=0167 ESP=0063f8d0 EBP=0063fab8 ECX=c14eb7f0 DS=0167 ESI=0063fd58 FS=5217 EDX=bffc9490 ES=0167 EDI=0063fd58 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: ff 76 04 e8 26 89 ff ff 5e c2 04 00 56 8b 74 24 Stack dump: 0063fb10 7c6b2593 0063fd58 85762034 0063fb10 7c6b2484 0063fb10 85762034 85762278 85762278 7c6a7881 0063fb10 0063fb10 0063fb24 00000000 00000000 ...

error when opening .accdb file
I don't think this is a new issue but I can't seem to find the resolution... I get an error when opening my Access 2007 formatted database stating that the file could not be found, though at the same time the file opens successfully. -- Error is intermittent. On occasions where the error does not occur, the file opens normally (I have never had an occasion where the file did not open at all) -- I have only seen the error happen when I have a 'Display Form' set in the Application Options for the 'Current Database' -- The database contains macros, VBA m...

Outlook not opening #2
I recently installed Outlook. When I try to open it, I get the error message "Outlook requires Outlook Express 4.01 or greater". I do have OE 5.0 installed. Why am I getting this error? ...

Outlook Opens looking for Exchange Server
A computer club member wishes to used Outlook so that she can sync with her Palm. Environment: Windows XP Pro SP2, IE 7, Windows Genuine Advantage installed. Symptom One: When Outlook is opened, the program is looking for Exchange Server. She is using a laptop with no exchange server available. Symptom Two: When performing Office Update, three items did not install all with error code 0x8024402C: 1. Update for Outlook Junk Mail (KB943591) 2. Office 2003 update SP3 3. Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906) I suspicion that Office 2003 is a 60 day trial that has never been activated. Are ...

Slow Open/Save over Network Connection
My client has an Apple XServe located in a "co-location" server farm which is providing very fast and reliable network speeds (10 mbps DL, 11 mbps UL). His office location is using AT&T DSL with DL speeds around 3.5 mbps. The directory that sits on the XServe is shared over the internet so my client can access it from multiple locations. Most of the documents are MS Word files. They are using Intel based iMacs with the latest versions of MS Office 2008. The problem my client is facing is the horrible speeds of opening, saving, and closing Office 2008 files. It could take up...

Using Word 2003 in Vista: Opening dictionary shuts down Word
This is a problem in Vista; it did not occur when I used Word 2003 in XP. Whenever I try to open the dictionary in Word 2003, either by clicking its icon, or hitting Alt+click over a word, Word shuts down. Vista Business, Service Pack 2 Thinkpad T400, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM ...

Publishing Free/Busy Time
I was reading in the Help section that I can set our PCs to publish each person's Free/Busy time to our local server. Can anyone give me any extra information on hos I do this? I went to Tools/Options/Calendar Options/Free-Busy Time and foudn where I can setr it to do that. THe question is how exactly do I specify where to publish the information to, and how do I get all my PCs to be able to retireve the informatino to make it useful to everybody? THere's no Browse button so do I need to just type in a folder such as (X:\schedule) or something different? Just can't get it to wo...

Default Folder for PST files?
I have a slightly different question relating to the above: I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal folders. When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today & select 'Open Outlook Data File'. Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path (Documents & Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\) This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a customised path, such as C:\Mail\ Any suggestions? -- Cheers, James Goodman Hi James, if you want to displace your pst file, please ...

Publisher calendar, how can I show the previous/next month?
I need to show the past and previous months in blank days at the top of a per month calendar, but can't see how to do that. Thanks. Create a yearly calendar in a new publication. Ungroup, copy the separate months, paste to your main calendar. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jennie" <Jennie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF4CF698-ABB8-4F01-A667-CC6AA87A9732@microsoft.com... >I need to show the past and previous months in blank days at the top of a per > month calendar, but...

Enable macro #4
Is there a way that when a user opens an excel workbook that it will enable the macro without asking to disable or enable? I have users that click on disable, then the macro will not run. I have two macro buttons set up and they choose the one that is needed at this time. I would rather it open and the enable already be set without them having to click on it. Is this possible? No, Pam. Sorry. You can "force" them to enable. http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=578 So, you could set it up that if they don't enable, they don't see... if they do enable, no...

Importing Contract from .csv file is not working
Hi, I m new to CRM. I have two column in my .CSV file. name and phone number i am trying to imort them to CRM contact Module. Everything happen smooth, i mean mapping of fields. But it does not Import the Contact in to CRM , instead the task goes and sits into the Buld Import Activity. And shows the Status as "Pending". I am using CRM Client and all the services are running..... Please let me know what could be the problem.. Labhesh Shrimali Bangalore - India MCP. Hi you have to change the Log on account for the Workflow Service on the CRM Server Regards, Dirk F ...

Could not open any programs in win xp.
it said choose program to open it with. I fixed it but why did it start acting that way to start with tech1 wrote: > it said choose program to open it with. I fixed it but why did it > start acting that way to start with What? Are you asking why some file association of yours was changed on your system? If so - either you did it or allowed it to be changed. Another application was installed or malware was installed that made the change. Scan your system with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware (both freeware to download, install and use to cleanup) just to be s...

Microsoft publisher, how do I set it to show multiple pages?
I'm trying to show more than one page in a single viewing pane. As in for the use of a banner. You'd think that'd be a simple and accesable function. I don't see it anywhere... Print preview has this function. Not sure if this is what you are asking... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "BrickShort" <BrickShort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B42E0DAE-9DB6-4587-A157-3C2F5225FA02@microsoft.com... > I'...

Publisher 2003: How Do I "Flow" (rework) a CURRENT [saved] document?
Page Setup/Layout/Booklet/Landscape/Print two pages per sheet. With both Automatic and Manual "Two Sided Printing" the center page (both sides) is--- blank. At the bottom right, of each page in the document, is a "Text in Overflow" Icon. Right click does not present an option to--- flow, condense or correct. Thanks Johann Since you know the terminology, I'm a bit curious why you didn't look up "overflow" in the Help file. The very first link will tell you how to deal with this. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Johann B�cker&qu...

Changing of Cell protections after saving Excel File (2002)
This problem occurs when I protect a document using a macro 4.0 function: =PROTECT.DOCUMENT(TRUE,,,TRUE,TRUE). When I use the function within a macro4.0 macro, on an original file, everything works fine. The sheet has unlocked cells, and when the sheet is protected, it allows me to access those cells. But if I save the file, or save.as another name, then the fun begins. The enable selection of the sheet( view codes) has gone from 0-xlNoRestrictions to -4142- xlNoSelection. This locks me out of doing anything in the sheet. When I unprotect and then re-protect the sheet using the T...