Publisher 97 unable to do Mail Merge - Error: PUBMERGE Out of Mem

I can not get Publisher 97 to do Mail Merge with Excel 97.  Here's what
happens:

Mail Merge / Open Data Source / PUBMERGE Out of memory.
Mail Merge / Create Publisher Address List / PUBMERGE Out of memory.
Mail Merge / Edit Publisher Address List / PUBMERGE Out of memory.

but, for some reason, Word 97 will do Mail Merge with Excel 97, no problem

.. . .

Publisher 97 System Requirements, and what I'm running:

386DX, 486DX:  Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz
MS Windows 95:  XP
6 MB RAM, 8 MB:  2 GB

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ . . . I have JET Engine DLL 5.1.2600.0

I am thinking that this this could be an issue with System 'Over'
Requirements that I have, like 2GB of memory, and Publisher 97 is not
designed for it.

I read on this page that some have a problem with Access 97 and XP, when
they have over 500 MB of RAM - but I don't have this problem, Access 97 works
fine for me, no idea why . . . still wondering why Word 97 can do Mail merge:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Using-MS-Access-1440/MS-Access-97-Memory.htm

Answer
Yeah, there seems to be a problem with old versions of Access (97 and
before) with Windows XP when the box has more than .5 gigs of RAM, which I'm
guessing you do.

Real easy solution? Dump some RAM. But I know you won't want to do that.

Tougher solution? Make sure you have all the service packs for Office 97 (I
think there are two), and maybe update your Jet engine from 3.0 (what Access
97 uses) to 4.0 (what WindowsXP uses). It's that inconsistency that is the
root of the problem.

.. . .

What I've tried:

- - - - - - -

From this page at the top:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forumarchives/publisher/Jan2006/post25974240.asp

1/6/2006 7:42:14 AM Re: Mailmerge Out Of Memory

Have you tried to open your data from another program, such as Publisher 2003?
No, I only have Pub 97

This old article addresses Windows NT but it may help. PUB97: Publisher
Closes Publication if It Can't Read Data Source
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/167894/en-us
n/a - can't even get this far

The PubMerge.dll could be corrupt, might re-name it and do a re-install.
Although you are not getting page fault this article could help:  PUB97:
Invalid Page Fault in Pubmerge.dll
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/161549/en-us
Both of mine were the same, in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and on the CDROM
MSJINT32.DLL, 35 KB, 8/6/1996 12:00 AM

Could be a printer thing too. Have you changed printers?
No

Do you get the same message in safe mode?
Yes

Disable your printer before opening Publisher, see if that works.
No

Have you tried the compatibility mode?
Yes.  Right-clicking on the program itself, MSPUB.EXE . . . Compatibility
tab / and checked 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:'  Windows 95 -
didn't work.  Then I clicked on 'Learn more about program compatibility' - I
went through many combinations in this Wizard - didn't work

PUB97: How to Obtain Publisher 97 Knowledge Base HTML Help File
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185798/en-us
Got it.  Do not see anything that addresses this.

- - - - - - -

De-installed in Safe Mode:  Office 97, and Pub 97
Re-installed in Safe Mode:  Office 97, and Pub 97
Re-installed in Safe Mode:  SR1 and SR2b

In the "About" of Excel, Word, and Access, it says that they have SR-2 after
the re-install, even when I had not re-done that yet

Publisher 97 does not say that it has SR-2 after the re-install.  Maybe SR-2
does not apply to it?

- - - - - - -

Are your MDAC components current?  Microsoft Data Access Components -
includes ADO, ODBC and OLE DB. In the below article is a link to the
component checker. How to check for MDAC version:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301202

It says that I have this, which looks current:
MDAC 2.8 SP1 ON WINDOWS XP SP2

- - - - - - -

From this page at the bottom:
http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/itanswers/publisher-97/

"I have seen similar errors with older software on newer OS’s and the
problem was that the TEMP environment variable was pointing to C:Documents
and Settingsblahblahblah. I changed the environment variable on an offending
machine to point to C:Temp (after creating that folder) and everything worked
well."

In my System Properties / Advanced tab / Environment Variables at the bottom
/ I changed the "User variable for Administrator" from the long sub-directory
( %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp ) to:

TEMP (Value = C:\Temp)
TMP (Value = C:\Temp)

.. . . didn't work . . . any downside to leaving it like this? . . .

.. . . I like to clear out files in C:\Temp occasionally . . . a question I
have now is if it's ok to delete all the files there, and in the long
sub-directory:  %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp ?  I am thinking that the
environment for Administrator in C:\Temp would be ok to delete, but the the
System uses the long sub-directory temp file area, better leave that alone.
0
slack7639 (13)

1. Open the .xls file in Microsoft Excel 97.

2. On the File menu, click Save As.

3. Click one of the following in the Files Of Type list:

    - Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt)
    - Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 Workbook (*.xls)
    - Microsoft Excel 97 & 5.0/95 Workbook (*.xls)

4. Type a new file name in the File Name box and click Save.

Publisher can use any of these types of files as the data source for a
mail merge.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"slack7639" <slack7639@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> machine to point to C:Temp (after creating that folder) and everything worked
> well."
>
> In my System Properties / Advanced tab / Environment Variables at the bottom
> / I changed the "User variable for Administrator" from the long sub-directory
> ( %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp ) to:
>
> TEMP (Value = C:\Temp)
> TMP (Value = C:\Temp)
>
> . . . didn't work . . . any downside to leaving it like this? . . .
>
> . . . I like to clear out files in C:\Temp occasionally . . . a question I
> have now is if it's ok to delete all the files there, and in the long
> sub-directory:  %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp ?  I am thinking that the
> environment for Administrator in C:\Temp would be ok to delete, but the the
> System uses the long sub-directory temp file area, better leave that alone.

mary-sauer (6480)
4/3/2008 11:23:31 AM
Yes, a more simple file type like .txt to get something to work - I did try
saving the .xls as a .csv before, based on something I read out there . . .
but this isn't the issue, 'cause I can't even get to that point, of linking
Pub 97 to the data source - I get the "PUBMERGE Out of Memory." error every
time.

Any idea if Pub 97 has memory limitations, or if it's incompatible with some
kinds of memory?  That wouldn't make sense though, because everything else
about it appears to be fine.  I would think that if it did have any memory
issues, if I put it in the Win 95 compatibility mode, that would fix them.

I wonder why Word 97 can do mail merge.  I wonder how it's different from
Pub 97?
0
slack7639 (13)
4/3/2008 6:32:01 PM
Do you have an anti-virus application? Sometimes in the old versions of
Publisher you will have problems, see if disabling it when you merge helps.

This article is talking about a different OS, but who knows...?
PUB97: Invalid Page Fault in Pubmerge.dll
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/161549/en-us

PUB97: Frequently Asked Questions about Mail Merge
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155635/en-us

PUB97: How to Obtain Publisher 97 Knowledge Base HTML Help File
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185798/en-us

If you think your pubmerge.dll is damaged there is a free download here
http://www.pcrepaircentral.com/dlldownload_22092.html

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Yes, a more simple file type like .txt to get something to work - I did try
> saving the .xls as a .csv before, based on something I read out there . . .
> but this isn't the issue, 'cause I can't even get to that point, of linking
> Pub 97 to the data source - I get the "PUBMERGE Out of Memory." error every
> time.
>
> Any idea if Pub 97 has memory limitations, or if it's incompatible with some
> kinds of memory?  That wouldn't make sense though, because everything else
> about it appears to be fine.  I would think that if it did have any memory
> issues, if I put it in the Win 95 compatibility mode, that would fix them.
>
> I wonder why Word 97 can do mail merge.  I wonder how it's different from
> Pub 97?

0
mary-sauer (6480)
4/3/2008 9:25:15 PM
.. . . Do you have an anti-virus application? Sometimes in the old versions of
Publisher you will have problems, see if disabling it when you merge helps.

Currently using AVG Free version.  Have read that it does not block scripts,
only the paid version does that.  Disabling it didn't work.

.. . . article is talking about a different OS, but who knows...?  PUB97:
Invalid Page Fault in Pubmerge.dll
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/161549/en-us
Yes, for NT 4.0 and a different error message, seem n/a

PUB97: Frequently Asked Questions about Mail Merge
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155635/en-us
Do not see anything on this error

PUB97: How to Obtain Publisher 97 Knowledge Base HTML Help File
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185798/en-us
Got this.  Do not see anything on this error.

If you think your pubmerge.dll is damaged there is a free download here
http://www.pcrepaircentral.com/dlldownload_22092.html
This page, and the home page, would not load

Somehow I stumbled back upon this in the Pub 97 Help file.  I tried setting
something here before, quickly and without any thought, and it didn't fix it
[keyword:  memory] . . .

If you keep getting "Out of memory" messages, you can try setting up a swap
file.  This allows Windows 95 to use space on your computer's hard disk as
memory.

If you're not familiar with swap files, read about them in your Microsoft
Windows 95 documentation before following this procedure.

1) On the Taskbar, click the Start button
2) Click Help
3) Click the Index tab
4) Type swap
5) Click Display
6) Follow the instructions for reserving disk space for extra memory

.. . . I now take a second look, since my first attempt didn't work, and I
would really like to figure this out - sometimes if I get a more in depth
understanding of things, I can fix them . . .

.. . . The Swap file in XP is called pagefile.sys . . . I have two 160 GB
hard drives, and 2 GB of memory . . . here's a summary of what I understand
to be the best way to configure your pageile.sys / Swap File / Virtual
Memory, based on these links . . .

1) If you have two physically separate drives (C: with the OS, and D:), put
pagefile.sys on the drive that does not have the OS, this enables your
computer to have access to multiple drives at the same time:

"Trick 3: If you have multiple hard drives (and I don't mean multiple
partitions on the same drive) installed on your computer. Consider moving the
swap file to the non-system drive. This way the computer can access multiple
drives at the same time.
http://windowstipoftheday.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-swap-file-virtual-memory_18.html

"If the operating system has more than one hard drive, place the paging file
on a drive which does not contain the operating system files."
http://www.theeldergeek.com/locating_the_page_file.htm

"The paging file is the area on the hard disk that Windows uses as if it
were random access memory (RAM) This is sometimes known as "virtual memory."
By default, Windows stores this file on the same partition as the Windows
system files. You can increase the performance of Windows, and increase free
space on the boot partition, by moving this file to a different partition."
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307886

2) Be sure to have at least a small pagefile.sys on your C: drive, some
programs expect one to be there.

"***Microsoft and every expert I’ve read state that you should leave at
least a small page file on the OS drive."
http://tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks5.htm

"you should leave a small amount on C:"
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

3) Select Custom Size, and use the recommended sizes (min / max).  Make the
initial and max sizes the same.  This will keep Windows from having to use
resources to manage the size of pagefile.sys:

"Trick 1: The swap file can shrink or grow automatically, consider turning
off this feature by setting the 'Initial size' and 'Maximum size' to an equal
value in the VM dialog. This should prevent the system from wasting time by
trying to manage the size of the swap file."
http://windowstipoftheday.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-swap-file-virtual-memory_18.html

.. . . The Excel 97 spreadsheet that I want to use is 136 KB = .13 MB . . . I
have set my Custom Sizes to the recommended min and max (which add up to the
Recommended Total), as follows:

C: [Local Disk] 50 - 50 . . . MB (if the pagefile.sys on C: goes over 50 MB,
I think it must then go to pagefile.sys on D:)
D: [Backup]  3020 - 3020 . . . MB

Total paging file size for all drives
Minimum allowed:  2 MB
Recommended:  3070 MB
Currently allocated:  3070 MB

and I still get the "Out of Memory" error - with and without Compatibility
set for Win 95 / XP

If you're not getting this error when you click on "Mail Merge / Open Data
Source," may I ask, what your pagefile settings? . . . under:

Control Panel / System / Advanced tab / Performance - Settings / Advanced
tab / Virtual memory - Change

.. . . or in later versions of Publisher . . . if you look in the Help File
under "Memory," or "Out of Memory," do they provide any more specifics on how
to fix?
0
slack7639 (13)
4/4/2008 5:56:02 PM
Hello Slack,
I cannot get the merge to work in 97 or 98. I've re-registered all the .dll's. I
assume it was a security update that did them in. I am using Vista on this
machine but it is the same on my XP. I didn't try the 98 or 95 computers. They
are slow as molasses.

My virtual memory is 1536 with a 3072 max with a 2 MB allowed (XP). My Vista
computer virtual memory is 3624, with a 4980 max with 16MB allowed.

Publisher 2000 merge works okay. If an out of memory error is displayed it is
the Jet database engine failure, which Publisher 2000 uses for mail merges.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> [...]
> Recommended Total), as follows:
>
> C: [Local Disk] 50 - 50 . . . MB (if the pagefile.sys on C: goes over 50 MB,
> I think it must then go to pagefile.sys on D:)
> D: [Backup]  3020 - 3020 . . . MB
>
> Total paging file size for all drives
> Minimum allowed:  2 MB
> Recommended:  3070 MB
> Currently allocated:  3070 MB
>
> and I still get the "Out of Memory" error - with and without Compatibility
> set for Win 95 / XP
>

> If you're not getting this error when you click on "Mail Merge / Open Data
> Source," may I ask, what your pagefile settings? . . . under:
>
> Control Panel / System / Advanced tab / Performance - Settings / Advanced
> tab / Virtual memory - Change
>
> . . . or in later versions of Publisher . . . if you look in the Help File
> under "Memory," or "Out of Memory," do they provide any more specifics on how

0
mary-sauer (6480)
4/4/2008 9:25:28 PM
.. . . cannot get the merge to work in 97 or 98 . . . re-registered all the
..dll's . . . assume it was a security update that did them in . . . using
Vista on this machine but it is the same on my XP . . .

Thank you __very__ much for confirming this for me.

Also, I don't know how to do that with the dll's - Thanks again!

.. . . didn't try the 98 or 95 computers. They are slow as molasses . . .

I know what you mean

.. . . My virtual memory is 1536 with a 3072 max with a 2 MB allowed (XP). My
Vista computer virtual memory is 3624, with a 4980 max with 16MB allowed . .
..

After my last post, I thought that I would round my D: drive to the nearest
50 MB, and re-Set my C: drive to 20 MB - mostly for aesthetic purposes - but
also thinking that more on D: would be better:

C: [Local Disk] 20 - 20 . . . MB (if the pagefile.sys on C: goes over 20 MB,
I think it must then go to pagefile.sys on D:)
D: [Backup]  3050 - 3050 . . . MB

Total paging file size for all drives
Minimum allowed:  2 MB
Recommended:  3070 MB
Currently allocated:  3070 MB

I think this is how one wants it to look, where "Recommended" and
"Allocated" have the same value, but I am unsure - Reason:

Previously, I had both drives set to "System Managed Size" as follows:

C: [Local Disk] . . . System Managed Size
D: [Backup] . . . System Managed Size

Total paging file size for all drives
Minimum allowed:  2 MB
Recommended:  3070 MB
Currently allocated:  4094 MB

One will notice that the "Recommended" and "Currently allocated" megabyte
values are different - Is that ok?  Everything appears to be working fine
with these settings, but as I said, I am unsure about this.

.. . . Publisher 2000 merge works okay . . .

Maybe I'll look into that on e-bay.  This is where I got Publisher 97, to go
with my Office 97 suite, which is great.

I wonder what Word 97 does differently that makes it able to do mail merge?
It must use something other than the Jet database engine.

I can probably do without mail merge working in Publisher, although I would
like to have it working.

I like that this error has gotten me to think about if there are better
settings for my pagefile.sys than what I had.

.. . . If an out of memory error is displayed it is the Jet database engine
failure, which Publisher 2000 uses for mail merges . . .

I have . . . C:\WINDOWS\system32\ . . . JET Engine DLL 5.1.2600.0

I wonder if just replacing this file with what Publisher 2000 uses would fix
Publisher 97?
0
slack7639 (13)
4/5/2008 4:01:00 AM
I don't know if rolling back the Jet Engine would help. There is nothing wrong
with Publisher 97, if you had Windows 98 on a hard drive partition it probably
would work. The wizards still work on my computer however I cannot use the clip
gallery nor open a document, it is the OS not the program.

Publisher 97 was my favorite Publisher version until 2003. If I were to buy an
old version of Publisher it would be 2003. Publisher 2007 has potential but it
is really buggy yet.

I don't have any other advice for you.
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

>. . . cannot get the merge to work in 97 or 98 . . . re-registered all the
> .dll's . . . assume it was a security update that did them in . . . using
> Vista on this machine but it is the same on my XP . . .
>
> Thank you __very__ much for confirming this for me.
>
> Also, I don't know how to do that with the dll's - Thanks again!
>
> . . . didn't try the 98 or 95 computers. They are slow as molasses . . .
>
> I know what you mean
>
> . . . My virtual memory is 1536 with a 3072 max with a 2 MB allowed (XP). My
> Vista computer virtual memory is 3624, with a 4980 max with 16MB allowed . .
> .
>
> After my last post, I thought that I would round my D: drive to the nearest
> 50 MB, and re-Set my C: drive to 20 MB - mostly for aesthetic purposes - but
> also thinking that more on D: would be better:
>
> C: [Local Disk] 20 - 20 . . . MB (if the pagefile.sys on C: goes over 20 MB,
> I think it must then go to pagefile.sys on D:)
> D: [Backup]  3050 - 3050 . . . MB
>
> Total paging file size for all drives
> Minimum allowed:  2 MB
> Recommended:  3070 MB
> Currently allocated:  3070 MB
>
> I think this is how one wants it to look, where "Recommended" and
> "Allocated" have the same value, but I am unsure - Reason:
>
> Previously, I had both drives set to "System Managed Size" as follows:
>
> C: [Local Disk] . . . System Managed Size
> D: [Backup] . . . System Managed Size
>
> Total paging file size for all drives
> Minimum allowed:  2 MB
> Recommended:  3070 MB
> Currently allocated:  4094 MB
>
> One will notice that the "Recommended" and "Currently allocated" megabyte
> values are different - Is that ok?  Everything appears to be working fine
> with these settings, but as I said, I am unsure about this.
>
> . . . Publisher 2000 merge works okay . . .
>
> Maybe I'll look into that on e-bay.  This is where I got Publisher 97, to go
> with my Office 97 suite, which is great.
>
> I wonder what Word 97 does differently that makes it able to do mail merge?
> It must use something other than the Jet database engine.
>
> I can probably do without mail merge working in Publisher, although I would
> like to have it working.
>
> I like that this error has gotten me to think about if there are better
> settings for my pagefile.sys than what I had.
>
> . . . If an out of memory error is displayed it is the Jet database engine
> failure, which Publisher 2000 uses for mail merges . . .
>
> I have . . . C:\WINDOWS\system32\ . . . JET Engine DLL 5.1.2600.0
>
> I wonder if just replacing this file with what Publisher 2000 uses would fix
> Publisher 97?

0
mary-sauer (6480)
4/5/2008 9:45:11 AM
I was thinking about this (wish I could be more scientifically knowledgeable)
.. . .

It is tempting to have more virtual memory (total) available with the System
Managed Size on both drives - but the idea is to optimize what you have for
speed.

If one has two physical drives, the way to go is for XP to not use the C:
drive for anything other than the OS, and to have your other hard drive
provide the space for pagefile.sys.

A large pagefile.sys on C: might be ok if you could prioritize XP, and tell
it to use the D: drive first, and then the C: drive, but you can't, as far as
I know.

So, I believe that putting the minimum of 2 MB on C:, and the balance on D:
is the way to go . . . here is what I found out:

C: [Local Disk] 2 - 2 . . . MB
D: [Backup]  3068 - 3068 . . . MB

Total paging file size for all drives
Minimum allowed:  2 MB
Recommended:  3070 MB
Currently allocated:  3068 MB ( why not 2 + 3068 = 3070? )

C: [Local Disk] 15 - 15 . . . MB
D: [Backup]  3068 - 3068 . . . MB
Currently allocated:  3068 MB ( why not 15 + 3068 = 3083? )

C: [Local Disk] 16 - 16 . . . MB
D: [Backup]  3068 - 3068 . . . MB
Currently allocated:  3084 MB ( = 16 + 3068 . . . Ok, at 16 MB, the memory
on C: starts showing up in this total - but how do I make it 3070? )

C: [Local Disk] 16 - 16 . . . MB
D: [Backup]  3070 - 3070 . . . MB
Currently allocated:  3086 MB ( = 16 + 3070 )

C: [Local Disk] 15 - 15 . . . MB
D: [Backup]  3070 - 3070 . . . MB
Currently allocated:  3070 MB

Conclusion:  15 MB on C: appears to be the way to get the Recommended total
of 3070 MB - because 15 MB will not show up in the total

Any ideas on this?

My computer does seem to be a little faster at this setting.  Also - it did
seem more jittery when I had C: set at 2 MB.
0
slack7639 (13)
4/5/2008 2:41:00 PM
Slack, If I were you I'd have this discussion on an OS newsgroup or forum. There
are some very smart folks that frequent those places.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

>I was thinking about this (wish I could be more scientifically knowledgeable)
> . . .
>
> It is tempting to have more virtual memory (total) available with the System
> Managed Size on both drives - but the idea is to optimize what you have for
> speed.
>
> If one has two physical drives, the way to go is for XP to not use the C:
> drive for anything other than the OS, and to have your other hard drive
> provide the space for pagefile.sys.
>
> A large pagefile.sys on C: might be ok if you could prioritize XP, and tell
> it to use the D: drive first, and then the C: drive, but you can't, as far as
> I know.
>
> So, I believe that putting the minimum of 2 MB on C:, and the balance on D:
> is the way to go . . . here is what I found out:
>
> C: [Local Disk] 2 - 2 . . . MB
> D: [Backup]  3068 - 3068 . . . MB
>
> Total paging file size for all drives
> Minimum allowed:  2 MB
> Recommended:  3070 MB
> Currently allocated:  3068 MB ( why not 2 + 3068 = 3070? )
>
> C: [Local Disk] 15 - 15 . . . MB
> D: [Backup]  3068 - 3068 . . . MB
> Currently allocated:  3068 MB ( why not 15 + 3068 = 3083? )
>
> C: [Local Disk] 16 - 16 . . . MB
> D: [Backup]  3068 - 3068 . . . MB
> Currently allocated:  3084 MB ( = 16 + 3068 . . . Ok, at 16 MB, the memory
> on C: starts showing up in this total - but how do I make it 3070? )

> C: [Local Disk] 16 - 16 . . . MB
> D: [Backup]  3070 - 3070 . . . MB
> Currently allocated:  3086 MB ( = 16 + 3070 )
>
> C: [Local Disk] 15 - 15 . . . MB
> D: [Backup]  3070 - 3070 . . . MB
> Currently allocated:  3070 MB
>
> Conclusion:  15 MB on C: appears to be the way to get the Recommended total
> of 3070 MB - because 15 MB will not show up in the total
>
> Any ideas on this?
>
> My computer does seem to be a little faster at this setting.  Also - it did
> seem more jittery when I had C: set at 2 MB.

0
mary-sauer (6480)
4/5/2008 3:34:49 PM
Ok, yes - but I think I've got this figured out:

Since 16 MB works, I got this idea, which seems like a better allocation:

C: [Local Disk] 16 - 16 . . . MB
D: [Backup]  3054 - 3054 . . . MB

Total paging file size for all drives
Minimum allowed:  2 MB
Recommended:  3070 MB
Currently allocated:  3070 MB ( = 16 + 3054 )

Thank you for your help!
0
slack7639 (13)
4/5/2008 5:50:01 PM
Slack, I finally turned on my 98 machine. The print merge works on both 97 and
98 Publishers. There are many .dll's that are on this computer that are not on
the XP or Vista.
For example:

msxbse35.dll
mstext35.dll
msrd2x35.dll
msvcp50.dll
According to the Knowledge Base the above dll's among others must be on the
computer for Publisher 98 to perform a merge. It doesn't say what dll's are
necessary for Publisher 97. I have to believe it is about the same. When you
merge in these programs the process is identical.
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Ok, yes - but I think I've got this figured out:
>
> Since 16 MB works, I got this idea, which seems like a better allocation:
>
> C: [Local Disk] 16 - 16 . . . MB
> D: [Backup]  3054 - 3054 . . . MB
>
> Total paging file size for all drives
> Minimum allowed:  2 MB
> Recommended:  3070 MB
> Currently allocated:  3070 MB ( = 16 + 3054 )
>
> Thank you for your help!

0
mary-sauer (6480)
4/5/2008 7:01:23 PM
When they say they no longer support Office 97, I thought that just meant
tech support.  They should also say that more current OS's don't provide
support either - and I thought that was supposed to be the beauty of Windows
- infinite backwards compatibility, within architectures.  I wonder what the
Compatiblity setting is supposed to cover.  Some other memory issues?  I
wonder how many kb's they saved by not including those dlls with XP?  Well,
Publisher 97 is still usable.  If I were to give them a grade, I'd give them
a 95%.  Still a happy customer.
0
slack7639 (13)
4/5/2008 8:14:02 PM
One of the above links said that Windows Defrag didn't defrag pagefile.sys -
if you want to do this for speed, you need another program.

I googled "defrag pagefile.sys" and found these two pages - now I know what
the green "Unmovable files" are - it's pagefile.sys (always wondered what
this was, I wonder why they don't call it that) . . .

1.) "the Disk Defragmenter tool doesn't defragment the pagefile, and you
might be tempted to buy a third-party disk defragmenter to do this. However,
you can save your bucks by following this simple procedure to defragment your
pagefile."
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/11/23/defrag_pagefile.html

2.) Enable write caching:  This page says that it's for a server, and I have
seen that this setting was enabled by default on my system (XP), but it's
something to take a look at:  "Make sure you enable write caching on an IDE
drive that hosts the pagefile as this will increase I/O and improve paging
performance."
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/04/27/pagefile.html

I found write caching under:
Win Explorer / Properties of your hard drive / Hardware tab / Properties of
your hard drive / Policies tab / [checkbox] "Enable write caching on the disk"

Out of curiosity, any idea what Word 97 uses to do mail merge - which works?
 I looked for a comparison chart and found nothing.  From the knowledgebase,
this indicates that it's different:
PUB97: Frequently Asked Questions about Mail Merge, Q155635
10. Q. Is Publisher's mail merge as robust as Word's feature? A. No.
However, the feature is much easier to use.
0
slack7639 (13)

Error ID: 5895
Hi, I'm getting an error with ID 5895 from the CRMDeletionService. It says: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSCRMDeletionService Event Category: None Event ID: 5895 Date: 3/25/2005 Time: 1:18:55 AM User: N/A Computer: CRMSERVER Description: Error: Can't clean up the following tables: Contact; CustomerAddress. I haven't been able to find an answer on technet, MS, or Google. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -John Hi John There are some records with broken links that can't be cleaned up by the CRM Deletion service b...

E-mail Excel worksheet based upon selection of combo box
I'm using the form toolbar combo-box with a pre-defined list that is on a hidden sheet. The list starts at 1, not 0. The goal that I am trying to reach is if a particular plant is selected in the combo-box (plant 1, plant 2, plant 3), when the e-mail button is clicked, it will send it to the person under that plant. I tried several different options including: Try 1: If ActiveSheet.Shapes("dd_plant").ListIndex = 2 Then .SendMail "asdf@gmail.com", "DP Routing Create/ Update/Change Form - Monroe", yes ElseIf ActiveSheet.Shapes("dd_plant"...

SMTP server Not resonding Error
I get the following error message, two relevant screen shots enclosed. The following data may be helpful for debugging. 1. I use OE for one and only one account (gmail.com, which uses the servers indicated in the error message.) 2. I do not have any other other application for using any SMTP, for whatever reason. 3. My system is connected to LAN (wire less router) where m son has his lap top and desk top are connected. He does not use any application which requires an SMTP connection. 4. This error keeps coming (in my system) , even when his system...

linker error #3
I started my mfc solution today and it started giving the below errors:- Linking... uafxcwd.lib(afxmem.obj) : error LNK2005: "void * __cdecl operator new(unsigned int)" (??2@YAPAXI@Z) already defined in libcpmtd.lib(newop.obj) uafxcwd.lib(afxmem.obj) : error LNK2005: "void __cdecl operator delete(void *)" (??3@YAXPAX@Z) already defined in LIBCMTD.lib(dbgdel.obj) uafxcwd.lib(afxmem.obj) : error LNK2005: "void * __cdecl operator new[](unsigned int)" (??_U@YAPAXI@Z) already defined in libcpmtd.lib(newaop.obj) uafxcwd.lib(afxmem.obj) : error LNK2005: "void ...

Publisher 2003 -Save As.. Defalt to 2000
Hi, I hope someone can help. I need to get publisher 2003 to always save in publisher 2000 format. The reason for this is that we have loads of computers running publisher. Most of them run publisher 2000 and a few new ones run publisher 2003. All of the users need to be able to access each others documents but when a 2003 user creates/opens a document and saves it again, 2000 users can no longer open them. The only solution is to get the user to save as.. and select publisher 2000. This is great if the users remembered to do it! Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I know th...

2 workstations merge into one
I have been working at two different workstations and have info in the profiles folder, outlook.pst, and other stuff, is there a way to merge the files from the different computers together or I am going to have to go piece by piece of info to save to my permamnent workstation? Thanks See http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm for information on Outlook files and then decide which ones you need and which you don't. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message threa...

error 29528 installing SQL 2005 SP2/3 on 2003 server DC (!)
hello, i ran into the error 29825 while installing SQL 2005 SP2 and 3. the server is a 2003 x86 but is also a Domain Controller! i found the link to this article which seems to work for many people. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925976 however, i would first like to inform whether this will also work for me since my sql is installed on a Domain Controller (which i know is not recommended) and so no local groups/users are available. should i delete the registry values or change them to sID's from domain accounts? if so, which? or if the above article will not work, are the...

Merge in new contacts?
I have some contacts set up in Outlook 2002. How do I 'merge in' some more that I have in a plain text file please? If I use File>Import, that will over-write the existing entries. -- Terry, West Sussex, UK An import shouldn't overwrite existing contacts unless the ones in the import file match existing ones and you tell Outlook to "Replace duplicates with items imported" "Terry Pinnell" <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:8ljhpvs9aipt8rlvecpcp297mad98170kn@4ax.com... > I have some contacts set up in Outlook 2002. How do I 'merg...

IFrame Error-
Here is my issue- In leads I have an iframe displaying related closed activities to that lead. The iframe loads but i can not click on any of the icons or the activities to bring them up. If I F5 (refresh) page it will allow me to click on the buttons and related activities. I think it could be one of 2 things: Internet security in IE (I have my CRM site as a trusted site) or a coding issue. Code is below. Thanks in advance for any help CODE: var navActivityHistory; navActivityHistory = document.all.navActivityHistory; if (navActivityHistory != null) { document.all.IFRAME_Histor...

How do I add a graphic to a merged catalogue in Publisher?
I am trying to add grapics to a phone directory. How do I do this and not cover up the names and addresses? Are you adding the images with the merge or after you convert to a publication? There is a training course here that will help. http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC010779101033 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "SassyOne" <SassyOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E5B01893-351D-4431-BB83-CAAB5142DE13@microsoft.com... >I am trying to add grapics to a phon...

New E-Mail Message Notifications
You Do Not Receive New E-Mail Message Notifications When You Receive a New E-Mail Message. I have configure outlook to displace an Icon in the system tray on incoming mail. I am always connected and have outlook open and set to check for mail ever 10 minutes. It was working and then stopped for some reason. I've try different things trying to correct the problem. I was able to fix once by doing a system restore in XP but then it happen again just stop working. Does anyone no why or is there a fix? Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 827304 ...

Depolyment Mgr Publish Failure
After adding fields to the schema mgr, placing them in form customization, as I try to publish them to the server it fails with an error that says review the App log. The log states: Event ID: 0, Source: DMSNAPIN Web Exception status = ProtocolError HttpGet Error Not Found: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. , Stack Trace: at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus() at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at Microsoft.Crm.tools.ImportExportXml.HttpUtil.GET(String strUrl, FileStream f) I've rebooted and tried looking at severa...

Internet Mail Service on Exchange 5.5
We are running SBS 4.5 with Exchange 5.5 The Internet Mail Service has been stopped for some time. Yet we are still able to send and receive email using Outlook clients to our pop3 server account. My question is what is the use of the Internet Mail Service if I can still send and recieve email from the internet. I want to do a migration to Exchange 2003, with IMS not running will this affect the migration? I do not understand what the Address Space is? Your help is appreciated. Regards Dominic Dominic wrote: > We are running SBS 4.5 with Exchange 5.5 > The Internet Mail Service has ...

Excel.exe has generated errors
Hello, I am receiving the following message: ""Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.You will need to restart the program An error log is being created."" when trying to open xls files that have been copied from another computer. Both Excel versions are the same and the file works on the source machine. I am copying it to and from a floppy which also works when opened on the source machine. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. -- Mrich Hi are you opening the file directly from your floppy disc? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frank...

Unable to update Distribution list
We have 1 root domain and 2 sub domains. The DL is present in DomainB RootA DomainB - UserB DomainC - UserC - If the user logs in to DomainB and changes the DL it works. - If the user log in to DomainC and changes the DL, it does not change. (Error: You do not have permissions) Steps tried: - Created new user account "UserB" in DomainB. Gave "UserB" full controll permission on "UserC". - Logged in as DomainC/UserC and accessed the mailbox as DomainB/UserB. Tried to update the DL. No luck. - Logged in as DomainB/UserB and accessed the mailbox of "UserC...

Characters while composing a mail.
Whenever i open a new mail (composing) or replying, i'm getting a special character ¶ at the end of each line. Eg. ¶ ¶ Thanks,¶ XXXXXXXXXXX.¶ ¶ Accidently hit some key. from that moment this character is appearing. How to remove this character? Turn off the option to view formatting marks in Word which is usually the reason you'll see them in Outlook. "Sangs" <Sangs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2AFB5143-54C2-46ED-BEDA-1915D6E1C0A7@microsoft.com... > Whenever i open a new mail (composing) or replying, i'm ge...

Unknown Error
Unable to open Excel files. When attempt is made, I am getting error saying file is corrupt. The error message gives option to attempt a repair on the excel file. When attempt is made to perform repair, receive another error saying file is too corrupt to repair. I have never seen this before. Any suggestions?? Hi seems you're out of luck. Somehow your file got corrupted. Search google for 'Excel recovery repair tool' They may be able to recover your file -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Autumn" <autumn@us.ibm.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:d...

backappl.exe error
I have applied the MS patch for outlook 2003 backup 3 times now and this error backappl.exe keeps coming back. Is there another way out of this? Thanks, Brian in MI Brian <briancloutier@comcast.net> wrote: > I have applied the MS patch for outlook 2003 backup 3 times now and > this error backappl.exe keeps coming back. Is there another way out > of this? Have you completely removed the backup application, redownloaded the OL 2003 version, then reinstalled? -- Brian Tillman Brian, Thanks for the advice! I removed the backup patch and now it's working! &quo...

Excel Startup Error
Box was all ready unchecked. Tried checking it / saving, then uncheck save to make sure -- still have same issue. Thanks -- philale ----------------------------------------------------------------------- philalex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1537 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26994 a couple of other things 1) Do you have an overactive virus scanner? (It will normally say virus scanning on the status bar) 2) Do you have journalling set up in Outlook? 3) Try renaming a file called Excel.xlb (Maybe hid...

Junk Mail Filter seems not work
Hi, I have Outlook 2003 installed, and turned on junk mail filter (Tools -> Options -> Preferences -> Jun Email -> High). It seems that this function never works on my machine. If I logon to another machine with my NT account inside same domain, Outlook 2003 on that machine works, and it moves some junk mails to "Junk-Email" folder, but it never happens on my local machine. What else do I need to configurate? I am lost. -- WWW: http://www.imagestation.com/members/hardywang ICQ: 3359839 yours Hardy Are you using Cached Exchange Mode on the machine where t...

M drive error msg
Can not get OWA to run. WhenI open up IIS and check on the default website, fo rthe public and Exchange folder, it lists the path "M:\domain name\Public Folders and M:\domain name \MBX". But the status of these two state "Teh device is not connected". What does this mean and how do I troubleshoot this problem? Jim in Cleveland wrote: > Can not get OWA to run. WhenI open up IIS and check on the default > website, fo rthe public and Exchange folder, it lists the path > "M:\domain name\Public Folders and M:\domain name \MBX". But the > status of...

E-mails Sent to Unwanted Parties
I sent an e-mail today to answer a qustion on a product I'm selling on Ebay. I sent an e-mail to the questioner and my e-mail got sent to family members as well. The e- mail still shows I only replied to one person but several (unrelated people) got the reply as well. Why did my e-mail go to other people that were never on any cc' list and not a part of the original e-mail? Do I have a bug that is send a copy of all of my e'mails to unknown people? The people that received my e-mail both work at authorize.net and they have no idea why they received it. Any ideas? Th...

Need to setup excahnge account that can't send/recieve mail only c
I have a unique situation where I need to configure about 20 exchange accounts that cannot send or recieve mail at all. But still need to be able to do full calendaring and tasks. These users will be using pop accounts for their email and should only need exchange for calendaring. We are using exchange 2003 and all client machines are on outlook 2003. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated since I have no idea where to start with this. Thanks, Don't think that'll work... meeting requests are messages. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja....

saving publisher document
Is there a way to save a publisher document (newsletter) with all of the formatting to another application that can be emailed to a group that does not have publisher loaded? Thanks Tracy wrote: > Is there a way to save a publisher document (newsletter) > with all of the formatting to another application that > can be emailed to a group that does not have publisher > loaded? > > Thanks ======================================= For editing...no. For viewing...read the following: View Publisher Files Without Publisher http://www.microsoft.com/office/using/column16.asp An ar...

Graphing errors in excel
I have a data table with formulas that is a summary of a group of worksheet. I have a graph using the summary table as the source and one cell is graphing as "0" even though there is a number is the table. All the others are fine. Any suggestions for the cause of this issue? the value is the cell is probably really in a text format I would suggest using =value(trim(your equation)) "Brian" wrote: > I have a data table with formulas that is a summary of a group of worksheet. > I have a graph using the summary table as the source and one cell is graphing >...