publisher 2003 won't print borderless

I am trying to print a brochure with a four-way bleed. I set up for
borderless printing on glossy brochure paper, but the program keeps
defaulting to regular 8.5X11" letter paper and leaving a 3/4" white border.

In 'page setup' under printer properties, I call for 8.5X11" borderless
paper size, borderless printing, HP glossy brochure paper, and best printing
quality. I have also set printer defaults to these settings. Print preview
then shows the brochure as intended, borderless.

Then I go to the File tab and Print, check all borderless settings, and
click on OK. The screen flickers, the print preview goes back to showing the
document cut off by 3/4" on the right side (in landscape), and if I allow
printing to proceed, this border shows up on paper.

When I re-check the page setup, I find that the paper size has been changed
back to letter paper and 'borderless printing' has been unchecked. Yet when I
look at the default printer settings, they are as they're supposed to be.

Complicating things, on a couple of occasions Publisher has printed this
very same brochure properly, without cutting it off. I have tried everything
I know, every way I could find to reset the paper choice, to no avail.

This is driving me NUTS!

The printer is not at fault, by the way. It prints borderless 8.5X11" all
day long from other software, and the problem persists even when the printer
(an HP 5740) and its driver have been uninstalled.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Br. Giovanni
0
Giovanni (19)

I have the same problem with my borderless HP printer. I learned a long time ago
to save the publication as an image and use the HP software to print.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Br. Giovanni" <Br. Giovanni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to print a brochure with a four-way bleed. I set up for
> borderless printing on glossy brochure paper, but the program keeps
> defaulting to regular 8.5X11" letter paper and leaving a 3/4" white border.
>
> In 'page setup' under printer properties, I call for 8.5X11" borderless
> paper size, borderless printing, HP glossy brochure paper, and best printing
> quality. I have also set printer defaults to these settings. Print preview
> then shows the brochure as intended, borderless.
>
> Then I go to the File tab and Print, check all borderless settings, and
> click on OK. The screen flickers, the print preview goes back to showing the
> document cut off by 3/4" on the right side (in landscape), and if I allow
> printing to proceed, this border shows up on paper.
>
> When I re-check the page setup, I find that the paper size has been changed
> back to letter paper and 'borderless printing' has been unchecked. Yet when I
> look at the default printer settings, they are as they're supposed to be.
>
> Complicating things, on a couple of occasions Publisher has printed this
> very same brochure properly, without cutting it off. I have tried everything
> I know, every way I could find to reset the paper choice, to no avail.
>
> This is driving me NUTS!
>
> The printer is not at fault, by the way. It prints borderless 8.5X11" all
> day long from other software, and the problem persists even when the printer
> (an HP 5740) and its driver have been uninstalled.
>
> I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Br. Giovanni

0
mary-sauer (6480)
3/31/2006 8:32:03 PM
I tried this upon your recommendation. Unfortunately, the type comes through
grossly pixellated and the quality of the piece is degraded to the point of
uselessness.

From what you say, I suppose I will have to buy a new printer, or new
software, or -- if my present rage is any indicator -- new both!!

It seems very odd that the leading consumer desktop publishing software will
not work usefully with the leading consumer desktop printer. Bleed-offs are
very common in well-designed brochures and flyers carrying photo art.

Conclusion: Publisher 2003 is only marginally useful with this defect. I
would not recommend the software to anyone trying to produce attractive
marketing materials -- the templates are really not useable.

Br. Giovanni

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> I have the same problem with my borderless HP printer. I learned a long time ago
> to save the publication as an image and use the HP software to print.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Br. Giovanni" <Br. Giovanni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to print a brochure with a four-way bleed. I set up for
> > borderless printing on glossy brochure paper, but the program keeps
> > defaulting to regular 8.5X11" letter paper and leaving a 3/4" white border.
> >
> > In 'page setup' under printer properties, I call for 8.5X11" borderless
> > paper size, borderless printing, HP glossy brochure paper, and best printing
> > quality. I have also set printer defaults to these settings. Print preview
> > then shows the brochure as intended, borderless.
> >
> > Then I go to the File tab and Print, check all borderless settings, and
> > click on OK. The screen flickers, the print preview goes back to showing the
> > document cut off by 3/4" on the right side (in landscape), and if I allow
> > printing to proceed, this border shows up on paper.
> >
> > When I re-check the page setup, I find that the paper size has been changed
> > back to letter paper and 'borderless printing' has been unchecked. Yet when I
> > look at the default printer settings, they are as they're supposed to be.
> >
> > Complicating things, on a couple of occasions Publisher has printed this
> > very same brochure properly, without cutting it off. I have tried everything
> > I know, every way I could find to reset the paper choice, to no avail.
> >
> > This is driving me NUTS!
> >
> > The printer is not at fault, by the way. It prints borderless 8.5X11" all
> > day long from other software, and the problem persists even when the printer
> > (an HP 5740) and its driver have been uninstalled.
> >
> > I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
> >
> > Br. Giovanni

Successful marketing materials should NEVER be based on a template. If the
person who designs the material can't do something original, how do I know
their product/service is exactly what I need?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Br. Giovanni" <BrGiovanni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

(snip)

> Conclusion: Publisher 2003 is only marginally useful with this defect. I
> would not recommend the software to anyone trying to produce attractive
> marketing materials -- the templates are really not useable.
>
> Br. Giovanni
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> I have the same problem with my borderless HP printer. I learned a long
>> time ago
>> to save the publication as an image and use the HP software to print.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "Br. Giovanni" <Br. Giovanni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to print a brochure with a four-way bleed. I set up for
>> > borderless printing on glossy brochure paper, but the program keeps
>> > defaulting to regular 8.5X11" letter paper and leaving a 3/4" white
>> > border.
>> >
>> > In 'page setup' under printer properties, I call for 8.5X11" borderless
>> > paper size, borderless printing, HP glossy brochure paper, and best
>> > printing
>> > quality. I have also set printer defaults to these settings. Print
>> > preview
>> > then shows the brochure as intended, borderless.
>> >
>> > Then I go to the File tab and Print, check all borderless settings, and
>> > click on OK. The screen flickers, the print preview goes back to
>> > showing the
>> > document cut off by 3/4" on the right side (in landscape), and if I
>> > allow
>> > printing to proceed, this border shows up on paper.
>> >
>> > When I re-check the page setup, I find that the paper size has been
>> > changed
>> > back to letter paper and 'borderless printing' has been unchecked. Yet
>> > when I
>> > look at the default printer settings, they are as they're supposed to
>> > be.
>> >
>> > Complicating things, on a couple of occasions Publisher has printed
>> > this
>> > very same brochure properly, without cutting it off. I have tried
>> > everything
>> > I know, every way I could find to reset the paper choice, to no avail.
>> >
>> > This is driving me NUTS!
>> >
>> > The printer is not at fault, by the way. It prints borderless 8.5X11"
>> > all
>> > day long from other software, and the problem persists even when the
>> > printer
>> > (an HP 5740) and its driver have been uninstalled.
>> >
>> > I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who can tell me what I'm doing
>> > wrong.
>> >
>> > Br. Giovanni

0
jl_paules1 (1069)
4/2/2006 7:49:04 PM
I did not have a degraded images when converted my projects. At what resolution
did you convert your publication?
It would seem to me if you were able to print borderless at one time, you should
be able to do it now. Do you have a full bleed option on your printer?

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> [...]
>> > printing to proceed, this border shows up on paper.
>> >
>> > When I re-check the page setup, I find that the paper size has been changed
>> > back to letter paper and 'borderless printing' has been unchecked. Yet when
>> > look at the default printer settings, they are as they're supposed to be.
>> >
>> > Complicating things, on a couple of occasions Publisher has printed this
>> > very same brochure properly, without cutting it off. I have tried
>> > everything
>> > I know, every way I could find to reset the paper choice, to no avail.
>> >
>> > This is driving me NUTS!
>> >
>> > The printer is not at fault, by the way. It prints borderless 8.5X11" all
>> > day long from other software, and the problem persists even when the
>> > printer
>> > (an HP 5740) and its driver have been uninstalled.
>> >
>> > I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

0
mary-sauer (6480)
4/2/2006 7:51:55 PM
Br. Giovanni <BrGiovanni@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently
heard to utter:
> Conclusion: Publisher 2003 is only marginally useful with this
> defect.

That's like trying to say that your printer is only marginally useful with
this defect (which would in fact be slightly more accurate).

Your printer driver is either passing false margin information to Publisher
to prevent it from printing full bleed, or is cropping off the bleeds from
Publisher files (I'm not quite sure which, as I'm not sure how Publisher's
printing engine works).  Either way, it's nothing that can be cured by
Microsoft altering Publisher (at least not without risking serious harm to
the way most other things print).

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6342)
4/2/2006 8:03:30 PM
I agree with you entirely. My point is that Publisher will not apparently
permit me to design the original piece I want, and the templates (which
presumably WOULD print OK) are of no value to me. Ergo, Publisher itself
appears to be of little or no value, at leat to me.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

> Successful marketing materials should NEVER be based on a template. If the
> person who designs the material can't do something original, how do I know
> their product/service is exactly what I need?
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "Br. Giovanni" <BrGiovanni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> (snip)
>

> > Conclusion: Publisher 2003 is only marginally useful with this defect. I
> > would not recommend the software to anyone trying to produce attractive
> > marketing materials -- the templates are really not useable.
> >
> > Br. Giovanni

Point 1:  I saved the file as a JPEG file, without the option of specifying
resolution. I also tried copying and pasting into an Adobe Photoshop file,
with no better results. However, I will follow this lead further. Thanks.

Point 2:  I don't know how I got the piece to print borderless before. It
may have been by specifying Image Writer as the 'printer' first, then
switching to the HP printer. But I can't seem to do it again.

This is the real knot, as I have a perfect print-out of the outside of the
brochure, with a photo bleeding off two thirds of the paper.

My objective is to be able to produce effective 'marketing' pieces for a
tiny non-profit that may wish to change the content of the pieces relatively
frequently.

Br. Giovanni

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> I did not have a degraded images when converted my projects. At what resolution
> did you convert your publication?
> It would seem to me if you were able to print borderless at one time, you should
> be able to do it now. Do you have a full bleed option on your printer?
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Br. Giovanni" <BrGiovanni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried this upon your recommendation. Unfortunately, the type comes through
> > grossly pixellated and the quality of the piece is degraded to the point of
> > uselessness.

Point 1:  Were I in an HP discussion group, that is how I would have phrased
it. What I lament is that these two leading products do not work together
properly. As a consumer, I am indifferent to the location or ownership of the
fault.

Point 2:  You are doubtless correct in your hypothesis that the driver is
feeding bad margin data to Publisher, as the problem does not occur until
Publisher tries to open its dialogue with the printer, but occurs regardless
of whether the printer is actually connected to the computer and turned on.
Thus the fault would lie with (the entirely dysfunctional and unresponsive)
HP. Surprise.

Br. Giovanni

Br. Giovanni wrote:
> I am trying to print a brochure with a four-way bleed. I set up for
> borderless printing on glossy brochure paper, but the program keeps
> defaulting to regular 8.5X11" letter paper and leaving a 3/4" white border.

I am having the same problem.  I just found a work-around.  If you
print just one page at a time, borderless will work.  For some odd
reason, printing borderless does not work when you are printing more
than one page at a time.

For my brochure I am printing the fronts first and then the backs.
Seems to work.

Steve

0
stever (1)

Printing problem from Excel 2007

publish customization to other server
All, Thanks for all your support for previous posting responses. I have 2 servers: development and production for CRM. We want to publish only LEAD object on PRODUCTION through deployment manager. However all changes are being performed on DEVELOPMENT server. I can't use EXPORT/IMPORT because using export from Development will have all object information and the problem is DEV and PROD are not in sink. If I use import/export all my views(124 views) and their sharing with team got screwed up. (PROD has more licences and team members are different than PROD) Using depolyment manage...

Converting a publisher file to adobe, with editable text
I prepare publisher files, such as postcards, to send to people in my group. I want them to be able to insert their information when applicable. Is there a way to do that in Publisher, or will I neet a different program? Acrobat Pro can create fill-in documents. Word can too. Not so Publisher. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE418097-D3AA-4B25-80E7-4B625EAF54D9@microsoft.com... >I prepare publisher files, such as postcards, to send ...

InPlace ugrade from Exchange 2000 to 2003 recovery question
Hi, Will shortly be doing an inplace upgrade from Exchange 2000 enterprise edition to Exchange 2003 Enterprise edition. After we do all the steps ie. Forestprep/domainprep etc then do the actual upgrade if the upgrade fails how do we roll back. We use Brightstor Arcserve version 11 which is supported by Exchange 2000 and we backup doing the Full method not bricks level. I have documentation on how to restore Exchange using this but this just restores the database to my knowledge (never had to do it) with exchange 2000 so how do I roll back a failed upgrade. We have to do an inplace...

exchange 2003
I just set up a mail server at things are working fine in the network where it resides. The issue is that I have 5 other buildings that are connected via a VPN, and they can not connect. Do I need to change settings at their locations? DNS?? WINNS??? It depends on type of client, but generally proper DNS setup is required. Also make sure that no firewalls interfere. laker18 wrote: > I just set up a mail server at things are working fine in > the network where it resides. The issue is that I have 5 > other buildings that are connected via a VPN, and they > can not co...

Exchange 2003 SP1 Install Error
When I try to install E2003 SP1 I get the error: EventType exchangesetuperror, P1 6_5_7226_0, P2 update, P3 microsoft exchange messaging and collaboration services, P4 install, P5 e0070101, P6 _null_, P7 1, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NI The log says it cannot find a file but I can't tell which file it's looking for. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks ...

Printing as PDF
I have a portion of a sheet that I want to print/save as a pdf to a folder on my hard drive. The folders location is C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\Invoices. I also want the file name to be the value found in cell j19 on the "PO Form" worksheet. Any help? Hi Download and install Cute PDF-Writer (http://www.cutepdf.com/) It installs as a printer. Now, you can write any documents (Excel, Word, various pictures, web pages, etc. to PDF format. Simply open the document, select Print from menu, select CutePDF Printer, and when you click on Print button, a file save dia...

outlook 2003 add a dictionary
Hi, how can add a dictionary for spell checking ? in outlook 2003 su tools / options / spelling actually i have only English e French. ciao francesco ...

Outlook 2003 Newsreader
Hi, I've Outlook 2003 and I tried to use it to read newsgroups, using the customize in the menu bar and putting the option news on the go menu. It worked, but only the first time. The optino news now disapeared from the menu go, and from the customize. Where it go? I tried to repair and don't fix. Another thing is the Business Manager that I installed I think version beta, that crashes often, but I imagine that we can't have a solution on that without more info. Thanks Joao Bras To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and...

Print Macro #2
Trying to write a macro to print a spreadsheet where the number of rows of data varies. What's wrong with this code? Dim rng As Range Set rng = Range("A1").End(xlDown).End(xlToRight) With ActiveSheet.PageSetup .PrintArea = rng End With Thank you. Pam Hi Pam Leave your PrintArea empty Excel will print all cells with a value on the sheet -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Pam" <gasp0225@juno.com> wrote in message news:16e401c38521$a7d25420$3501280a@phx.gbl... > Trying to write a macro to ...

Printing Labels on Sato CL408
We are in the process of migrating from our existing proprietary POS and Inventory system to RMS. Part of the migration involves migrating the label printing function for our existing Sato CL408 label printers. I have done this successfully except for one detail. The labels are small labels (1 in. by 1.5 in) that are printed side-by-side. To get the second side-by-side label to print, I have to "fool" the label designer wizard into thinking it is printing to a label 3.5 inches wide. The data on the left side is duplicated on the right side, resulting in two labels being p...

Start Outlook 2003 at windows startup??
Hi, I have a simple question: how do I have Outlook 2003 started automatically and minimized to system tray at windows startup? Thanks in advance edomonet@libero.it <edomonet@libero.it> wrote: > how do I have Outlook 2003 started automatically and minimized to > system tray at windows startup? Put a shortcut to it in your Startup program group. However, I don't believe it will start minimized. -- Brian Tillman It's better to put a shortcut in your Quick Launch bar or you will get errors if OL loads too soon before your connection and antivirus. You can customiz...

Clarification please on exchange 2003 with DPM Server 2010
I would like to protect an exchange 2003 setup remotely. In the event of a problem such as accidently deleted mail etc. the way to restore the database files would is to use a recovery storage group? Now does this need to be restored back over the internet to the Exchange server or can the databases be restored onto a disk taken out to the server and then loaded into the recovery storage group? I am not sure what you mean "Now does this need to be restored back over the internet to the Exchange server" but yes to restore the exchange databases you can restore the files ...

SBS 2003 migration to Server 2008 STD
Hi. We are at the limit of 75 Users and want to Migrate away from our old SBS 2003 Server to two new 2008 STD Server (one for Exchange 2010) I have looked for infos how to do that correctly but i could not find any good basis to start with. Someone already accomplished that task? I recommend Server 2008 R2 over 2008. If you use Server 2008 make sure you have SP2 or better installed before you try to install Exchange 2010. I have done it. It was fairly straightforward. That said it was not easy. There is a lot of conflicting information on the web. The basic procedure is...

linking to publisher email
How do you make a link for unsubscribing to an email? The easiest way is to insert a email link to you along with instructions. Select the text or image > insert > hyperlink > Email Address and enter your email address. DavidF "NK" <NK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:166F126E-17FC-468E-9A42-9E23ACE8454D@microsoft.com... > How do you make a link for unsubscribing to an email? ...

Textbox's truncated once printed (Excel 2000)
When using text boxs in excel if the data entry is larger than the text box it does not print out everything in the text box. Is there a way to get it to print out all the information contained in the text box. For the only two solutions I can think of is 1) Make the text boxs bigger but my manager rejected the idea. 2)Cut an paste the information onto a excel spreedsheet then print it that way by using a macro but that is a last resort. Dear Robert, 1) 2) and 3) Reject your manager. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't. 4) Perhaps ... use a smaller font? 5) Refrase your text ... Fran...

Publishing Microsoft Excel Charts to the Web
I routinely publish Excel charts to a web site for viewing in a web browser. When I do so, the charts are too large to fit on one screen without scrolling. Is there a way to make the charts fit the size of the user's browser window when you publish them? Jim - Embed the charts in a worksheet (right click, Location, As Object In: Sheet Name), and size them to fit before exporting. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Jim wrote: > I routinely publish Excel charts to a web site f...

E-mail Tracking 2003
I know in Outlook 2003 that e-mail recipients have the option to not send "read receipts" - can this be disabled? A lot of my users in the past have relied on getting e-mail receipts and tracking their e-mails - they are very unhappy about the recipient having an option to decline their request for receipt in Outlook 2003. Jane Jane wrote: > I know in Outlook 2003 that e-mail recipients have the > option to not send "read receipts" - can this be > disabled? A lot of my users in the past have relied on > getting e-mail receipts and tracking their e-m...

Sheet display vrs. Print Preview
Why would a sheet display differently than when it is printed. I have an excel file that looks like it prints on my bosses computer but on my pc the page breaks are different the word warps are different. This makes it difficult to work with because it will not print the same on my pc and his. We are both using Excel 2003. Thanks for helping. This could have a great deal to do with the printer drivers. Are you printing to the same printer? ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Byron" <Byron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

EmigrantDirect, wrong web address for online services (Money 2003)
Version: Money 2003 (I know, I know, I'll upgrade if I can ever get it to work correctly...) I used to be able to receive transactions from EmigrantDirect. However, as of last year, they changed their web address. The web address stored by Money is (https://cib-maintpg.ibanking-services.com/special/b321_maint.htm), which is no longer valid. Is there a way I can manually change the address, or guide Money to the right address? I have tried to go in through the browser in Money to download statements directly, but I can't seem to update the address so that automatic downloads...

Outlook 2003 Usepecified error
Hi, I am having real problems trying to resolve an issue with outlook 2003 with Word as the e-mail editor. I am trying to forward an e-mail with about 5 pdf attachments that come to about 3mb in size, when I try to send the e-mail I get an "Unspecified error" If I turn off the word as the e-mail editor it works ok and sends the e-mail ok. I have also changed the text from html to plain text but i then get a 2nd error which I have managed to get rid of but readind the kb base article 870707. I have also tried running the detect and repair along with installing the latest s...

Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection & Publishing won't load
I am trying to utilize the Collect Data via e-mail function and keep receiving the following error: "The Microsoft Office Access Outlook Add-in is disabled in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007. To collect data by using e-mail messages in Microsoft Access 2007, verify that this add-in is installed and enabled from within Office Outlook 2007." I have tried to remediate via the Trust Center/Add-in area in Outlook and don't see an add-in for Access (even though the error message says it is "disabled" it is nowhere to be found). I have tried to add it (I believe it is...

2003 Public folders disappear on clients then reappear
Dear all, I have noticed that public folders will for no reason drop of users clients and the reappear without any intervention. Eventvwr shows no errors just one warning 5008 to indicate a log file was deleted which seems fine. Oh and we have exchange 2003 standard SP1. Recently sorted out some AD problems and now all dc's seem to be replicating correctly with no errors or warnings. I have recently updated RUS pointing it to correct DC as it was pointing to a server that had been demoted following AD troubles. So I'm lost as why this happens any ideas or suggestions greatly r...

How do I restore original image resolution in Publisher?
I opened Publisher to change a graphic image in a document to a corrected one. When I tried to import a 120x120 dpi image, a window opened up and asked me if I wanted to change the resolution to reduce the file size for use on the web, or leave original detail. I cliked "reduce", then found the image unsatisfactory. It appears to have made a permanent change to Publisher, because now I can't get good display resolution out of ANY imported picture, and I can't figure out how to reset the original resolution (not size, resolution). Anybody know how to do this? ...