Publisher 2003 file not updated on save

Hi,

I have a client using Publisher 2003 under XP. The file she is working on,
March.pub, is stored on a Windows 2003 server which she accesses via a
mapped P: drive.

Yesterday, she worked on a file most of the day and swears she did a Save
very often. About 4pm, she saved, printed her work, exited from Publisher,
logged off Windows, and went home. Today when she came in she opened the
file, only to find that it was missing much of her work. I checked and in
fact the latest version on the server is from about 1pm. I had no luck
finding a temporary version on the XP machine's C: drive

It seems Publisher is doing some wonky things with files but I can't find
any explanation at the Microsoft site:

- When opening a file from the P: drive, it says "copying from network".
Copying to where?

- When saving, does it go directly back to the network? There is an option
to Save with Backup--what does that do?

I always tell users to save files on the server since it has redundant disks
and is backed up daily. But for now I'm having her save in two places--on
her Desktop _and_ on the server.

Any idea what could cause this? I see no obvious server or network errors.
The client is understandably upset about having to re-do her work.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Mark

0
markb1 (4)

Our advice is always save to the local drive, copy to the network...

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Mark" <markb@sorrynoemail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a client using Publisher 2003 under XP. The file she is working on,
> March.pub, is stored on a Windows 2003 server which she accesses via a mapped
> P: drive.
>
> Yesterday, she worked on a file most of the day and swears she did a Save very
> often. About 4pm, she saved, printed her work, exited from Publisher, logged
> off Windows, and went home. Today when she came in she opened the file, only
> to find that it was missing much of her work. I checked and in fact the latest
> version on the server is from about 1pm. I had no luck finding a temporary
> version on the XP machine's C: drive
>
> It seems Publisher is doing some wonky things with files but I can't find any
> explanation at the Microsoft site:
>
> - When opening a file from the P: drive, it says "copying from network".
> Copying to where?
>
> - When saving, does it go directly back to the network? There is an option to
> Save with Backup--what does that do?
>
> I always tell users to save files on the server since it has redundant disks
> and is backed up daily. But for now I'm having her save in two places--on her
> Desktop _and_ on the server.
>
> Any idea what could cause this? I see no obvious server or network errors. The
> client is understandably upset about having to re-do her work.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts,
>
> Mark

0
mary-sauer (6480)

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Before Update on record select

MS Money 95 data files

Address book updating...

Exchange update problem

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

"Save" preferences getting lost
List members: I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently. Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a default of thirty minutes. I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. - Mark Pavlick Hi Mark: That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the preference file. With the help of your System...

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Outlook 2003

Where is the workspace file stored?

cant start outlook pst file to large

Import from Eudora 6 to Outlook 2003

why are links to websites (inserted in publisher documents) disab.
why are links to websites and e-mailadresses (inserted in publisher documents) still working in emailpreview but disabled in webpage preview? ...

saving and distributing a customized desktop
If there a way to customize one desktop and then copy the file to the other workstations so that they are set up the same way? I get calls all day from our users asking that I customizes their outlook to include some of the modifications I've made to my desk. We have Exchange Server and Outlook 2003 SP2. "Herb Segal" <herb@endlar.com> wrote in message news:Olsb5oBpKHA.5508@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > If there a way to customize one desktop and then copy the file to the other > workstations so that they are set up the same way? > > I get c...

Trying to read XML file into dataset