I have publisher 97 on my windows xp and it works fine.  However, I had someone refine some work I had done and apparently they used a later version of Publisher because when I loaded their CD, I got the message "Publisher cannot load files from a different version"

What can I do--does this mean I have to buy a later version to match the version he used, or do I have to buy one of those programs that can open other programs.  If I do the later, will I be able to use my 97 version to make changes once I get the files open on the later version

Thanks

rjda

0
anonymous (74722)

Refer to
http://www.mvps.org/publisher/versions.html
and
http://www.mvps.org/publisher/compatibility.html

--
David Bartosik - MS MVP
for Publisher help:

"rjdaa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have publisher 97 on my windows xp and it works fine.  However, I had
someone refine some work I had done and apparently they used a later version
of Publisher because when I loaded their CD, I got the message "Publisher
cannot load files from a different version".

> What can I do--does this mean I have to buy a later version to match the
version he used, or do I have to buy one of those programs that can open
other programs.  If I do the later, will I be able to use my 97 version to
make changes once I get the files open on the later version.

> Thanks,
>
> rjdaa

0
dbartosik (185)
2/21/2004 6:30:41 PM
No, you cannot open a file that was changed and saved in a newer version
with the older software - except I believe you can open a 2003 file in 2002.
(If I'm mistaken, would someone kindly let me know?)

There are no conversions available. I'd suggest a newer version, preferably
2003 if your computer can handle it, if you are going to have others edit
your files and return them to you.
--

JoAnn

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on
your computer.
--Bruce Graham

"rjdaa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have publisher 97 on my windows xp and it works fine.  However, I had
someone refine some work I had done and apparently they used a later version
of Publisher because when I loaded their CD, I got the message "Publisher
cannot load files from a different version".

> What can I do--does this mean I have to buy a later version to match the
version he used, or do I have to buy one of those programs that can open
other programs.  If I do the later, will I be able to use my 97 version to
make changes once I get the files open on the later version.

> Thanks,
>
> rjdaa

0
jl_amerson (3088)
2/21/2004 6:32:19 PM
JL Amerson wrote:
> No, you cannot open a file that was changed and saved in a newer
> version with the older software - except I believe you can open a
> 2003 file in 2002. (If I'm mistaken, would someone kindly let me
> know?)

No you're not. ;o)

0
cerridwen (233)
2/22/2004 12:59:09 AM
Thank you, dear.  :-)

"Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
> JL Amerson wrote:
> > No, you cannot open a file that was changed and saved in a newer
> > version with the older software - except I believe you can open a
> > 2003 file in 2002. (If I'm mistaken, would someone kindly let me
> > know?)
>
> No you're not. ;o)

0
jl_amerson (3088)

Disabling / enabling entire menu and toolbar if child window open and has focus
Greetings, I have an MFC app within which a user can choose to go to the company's web site. If they select this from the menu, a CMDIChildWnd is created containing a CHtmlView. I need to have it so when this window is opened, all the menus are disabled and the toolbar is disabled. Also, when the window loses / gets focus, the menus are disabled / enabled respectively. Is there an easy way of doing this? How might I go about it? Thanks for your help! ~simon You can't disable *all* the menu items typically, because you want File>Exit, Help>About, other Help items, etc. en...

Microsoft Publisher 2003 #3
Will Microsoft Publisher 2003 install on multiple computers? If so how many can it install on? Thanks. If you have an OEM version, it can only be installed on one system. If you have a full version, you can install it on one desktop system and one laptop. They cannot be used at the same time. Also, you will have to call Microsoft to activate the second copy. That is the ONLY legal way to have it installed on more than one computer. Please be aware if you have an older version of Publisher and it is installed on more than one computer, you violated Microsoft's end user license agre...

Publisher Mail Merge Stapling Printer Problems
Problem: When printing a mail merged document and collating / stapling it, it puts 2 merged documents together rather than printing / folding 1 and then the next record. In Publisher 2003 / 2002 we were able to use KB article #891904 to put a registry value in to solve the problem. In Publisher 2007 however, there is not a fix posted and the previous fix does not work - at least not one that I know of. I have tried all of the usual searches, GOOGLE, MSFT KB, etc. but the articles that do acknowledge 2007 is on the market do not have a fix for it yet. Even KB891904 does not have ...

International Version
I noticed that there is an Money 2004 International version for a 30-day trial. However, there doesn't seem to be any information about the difference between the International version vs. the US version for the real product. I am a US citizen living overseas and wonder if I should get a US version or an international version. I am worry when I need to go back to the states, all my data file cannot convert to the US version of Money. Joe If you intend to return to the USA, you should keep with the US Versions as the International versions are not compatible and include none ...

Records will not open
I am experiencing a problem with certain records within CRM that will not open. The system will try and try to open the record (pinging out two processors) until it finally times out. This is only with certain records but not others... Any suggestions? We experienced a similar problem. We created those records again (Leads) and deleted the old ones... all worked fine then "Phillip Sperry" <phillip.sperry@mxsecure.com> wrote in message news:9FeSb.10804$QJ3.6760@fed1read04... > I am experiencing a problem with certain records within CRM that will not > open. The syst...

Unable to Open received PO (change to "change order")
Great Plains will not allow me to change this Purchase Order from Received to Change Order: Here is the message I get: However, if I try to enter a quantity cancelled, I get: How can I re-open this Purchase Order so I can change the price??? Thank you. Unfortunately, the pasted messages did not come through. Once a line item is received, you can change its cost only during invoice matching. The process would be to return the item; add a new row with the correct cost; and receive and invoice the new item. Not an elegant solution, for sure. -- Charles Allen, MVP &quo...

VBA Code to Open File1; Open File2 copy sheets to File1
Using XL 2003 & 97 Need help with the following VBA code: Sub Macro1() Dim myNewWorkbook As String myNewWorkbook = ActiveWorkbook.Name Workbooks.Open Filename:="OldWorkbookFile.xls" Sheets(Array("Formulas", "Department Lables")).Activate Sheets(Array("Formulas", "Department Lables")).Copy _ Before:=Workbooks(myNewWorkbook).Sheets(2) Windows("OldWorkbookFile.xls").Activate ActiveWorkbook.Close Windows(myNewWorkbook).Activate ' ........ End Sub My goal is to have myNewWorkbook active then:...

When opening Excel get File Not Found error
When I open Excel for the first time, I get an error that says "Microsoft Visual Basic" in the title bar and then it says "File Not Found" I am not sure what is causing this. Any ideas? Thanks! Try opening excel in save mode excel.exe /s if you don't get the prompt, then it is probably related to a bad addin you have selected in tools=>addins or a workbook in your xlstart subdirectory. (try moving any files found there). You can then start adding things back until you find the file causing the problem. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Andy" <anonymou...

publisher: 4 Millions Domains data with Category
Successfull Internet and Direct Marketing products on www.promotionsite.net * NEW * DOMUS Domains Toolkit Fall 2004 - Unique on the Net 4 Millions "Whois" Domains data with Expiration Date and Category*. Ultimate Version (October 2004) - Our best rate starts from US *$149*. A wonderful tool for Internet and Direct Marketing. Available in Basic, Advanced and Full Editions. It contains a domain database with 4 millions *FRESH* October 2004 New records .com, .net, .org. 4 Gigabytes MS Excel data zipped on CD-Roms/Dvd. Compression 3:1. MS Excel or Text tab del...

Excel slow to open workbook when I double-click in Windows
Hi, I am using Excel 2007 on a brand new PC (Intel Core 2 Duo; 2.53 GHz; 3.21 GB RAM; Windows XP Pro). I have installed and started using several applications already and this PC has been very fast and responsive. I am having an issue opening workbooks in Excel. If I open Excel first and then click on the Office button and choos Open, I can open up a workbook very quickly. However, when I double-click on a workbook in Windows (without having Excel open previously), it takes a *very* long time for the workbook to open. I just timed it at exactly one minute. I was wondering if anyone...

cant open html file in outlook 2007
hi, i am having trouble opening attached html file . error is " cant create html file .press Right click on the mouse and check permission on the file" can any body help :( -- בכבוד רב, מישל ויאנקור Have you tried clearing Microsoft Outlook's secure temp folder? "michel" <vaillancourt.michel@gmail.com> wrote in message news:AF480A87-907E-464C-A8A1-6C208A477950@microsoft.com... > hi, > > i am having trouble opening attached html file . error is " cant create > html > file .press Right click on the mouse and check...

Convert Publisher document to a .pdf file
I create a multi-page newsletter using Publisher. How does one convert this to a single .pdf file? My first attempts (copy/paste into Acrobat) only produce page 1. Is there a way to capture the whole document which includes photos and clipart so that I can paste it into Acrobat? Thanks, EdC. You don't paste into Acrobat, you print the document to Acrobat. File, print, select the distiller or Adobe PDF, depending on the version of Acrobat. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Ed C" <econgleton@snet....

problem opening word 07
When I open word, a dialog box comes up which contains. among other things, the following instructions which I follow up to step 4 then I hit a snag as noted below. >The document contains macros. Macro language support for this application is disabled. Features requiring VBA are not available, Would you like to open this document read-only? Hide Help Open in Help Window • Microsoft Office Access, Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office PowerPoint, or Microsoft Office Word -¬To check your macro security settings, click the Microsoft Office Button, click <program nam...

Open excel sheet twice at same time?
Hi, Probably a question asked all the time, but I often have trouble opening a file after making a desktop shortcut to an excel file. When opening, it gives an error message about opening a file with the same name at the same time (even though I'm not). The error message continues by saying that it doesn't matter if the files are in different folders and suggests renaming one of the files. Any ideas? Thanks. Robert No reason I can think of that would cause Excel to load the file twice irrespective of launching it from a shortcut. Couple of things to check: - The file isn'...

viewing other publisher files
I have MIcrosoft Publisher 2000. When my friends send me Publisher files of the same year and version, I get an error message saying that Publisher cannot open files from a different source. Does anyone know what gives? Are you sure they are also using Pub 2000? Are you running Norton antivirus? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "freedom" <freedom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF95B6D4-85E8-4C5E-A8E1-1B2635AAEF23@microsoft.com... >I have MIcrosoft Publisher 2000. When my friends send me Publisher files of > the same year and version, I...

debug version of eboot hangs (x86)
I am using PB 6.0 and Intel version 2.4 BSP (x86). When I build by release image, the eboot (release version) works just fine: ************************************************************ Microsoft Windows CE BIOS Bootloader Version 2.2 (Built Jul 14 2005) INFO: code=0x4. INFO: code=0x4. INFO: code=0x4. Jumping to image (address=0x1391DC) Microsoft Windows CE Bootloader Co...

On opening outlook
Hi When i open outlook it always goes to a particular folder in my inbox (its a sub folder, about 5 levels down). How do i set it to 1. just open and go to the inbox 2. or open to the last folder i had open. thanks in advance Andy C Tools-> Options-> tab Other-> button Advanced Options... Here you can specify your default startup folder. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "AC&q...

Opening a PowerPoint Presentation in a Web Browser
Set an option in a slideshow presentation if a .pps file is accessed by a webpage link (.htm, .html), open in full-screen, read-only. (PPT 2003 had this functionality.) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/communi...

windows should reopen in their previously opened size and position
We use large monitors and some dual-monitor setups. Most of the dialogue windows open up designed for a small resolution setting. For example, the "cards/Accounts" window opens up and only shows 10 accounts in the collapsed view. Almost every time I use that window I have to resize and reposition it, and then as soon as it closes and reopens, it is back to the puny size again. There should be an option to "remember" window sizes and positions. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. T...

Open in the same window??? O.o
Hello, I've recently switched to Office Outlook 2003 from Outlook express because i like office outlook better, i have got everything how i want it except for one thing. When i was with Outlook Express 6 if there was a link in a message and you clicked on it, it would open the browser and then if there was another email that you went to next, then when you clicked on a link in that, it would open the link in the browser that the other link opened in, well currently with office outlook 2003 every link clicked will open a new browser and i cannot find a option to change this... ...

problem with opening a money file <WEIRD>
I have used money 2005 for a year. Couple days ago I had to format my hard drive and install Windows XP a new. I saved my money mny file and the backup to it in the safe place. When I installed MS Money on my new system and tryed to open my mny file it displayed this error: --------------------------------------------------------------------- Money cannot locate 'filename' or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you wi...

No data appears when I do a mail merge from Access to Publisher 2.
When I do a mail merge from access to publisher 2003 there is no data from the access database (it is closed and the query does work) What settings do I need to change? If I remember correctly you cannot merge from a query... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jenny A" <JennyA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88F611CA-389D-4076-8BC5-B6E435B727C4@microsoft.com... > When I do a mail merge from access to publisher 2003 there is no data from > the access database (it is closed and the q...

McAfee SystemGuard shuts down Publisher 2000! HELP!!!
OPSys: Windows XP Publisher version 2002 A few months ago McAfee was updated on my computer. When I tried to open my Publisher (v. 2002) files McAfee SystemsGuard would shut it down or lock up my computer. I temporarily loaded an old version of Publisher on my computer, however, I could not open my old files nor did it offer the same abilities to do certain functions so I could not duplicate some of my documents. Yesterday, I reinstalled version 2002. The same thing started happening. While I was once again able to open my previous files, it would immediately lock up and try to s...

Publisher 03 XP crashes when importing graphics
Why does Publisher 2003 XP crash when importing certain graphics? It also failed to print the picture (when it finally let the pic import), even tho I saw it on the screen! Clip art also not working..... Please explain what you mean by "clip art also not working". -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "susie" <susie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D26C137E-DFEE-4955-8180-495C9F1E5E59@microsoft.com... > Why does Publisher 2003 XP crash when importing certain graphics? > It also failed to print the picture (when it finally let the pic ...

Convert Publisher files to PDF or PS for commercial printing? How?
I was interested in an exchange I just read here about converting publisher files to PDF or PS and then taking them to commercial printer. Is there anywhere in the manuals (or help files) that would shed a little more light on that? I do many brochures for various small clients and usually just print them at home using paper direct paper -- probably the MOST expensive, most labor-intensive way to go. But I have never really understood the concept of "pack and go" -- just as I've never really figured out how to use PS fonts on my cheapie HP home printer. Anybody who cou...