Office related question slightly OT

 Does anyone know how to use a plastic spiral binder?

 I bought one (from an ebay seller) a few months ago, NEW. It had no
directions or instructions with it. Only a few rough sketches printed right
on the machine, that all I could figure out was you put the paper in and
BANG hard on the tool on top to punch the required holes in the paper

 This is the one I bought, but not from this seller (this has said "out of
stock" since I've been looking for them)

http://www.abcdistributing.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?P=115&G=347

  All I can figure is, you lay the plastic binding comb in the mechanism, so
the little hooks on the front grab it, push the lever on the side this opens
up the comb, leaving semi-sharp pieces of the comb facing up. You then put
on the pages (previously punched) and push the lever, closing the binding
with the paper inside.

   This works, but... I can't get it to do very many pages at once. I made
calendars using cover stock, 12 pages or so. I have made myself notebooks,
using maybe 20 pieces of printer paper, but that's about all that will fit
and it's a struggle doing it. In theory it seems like the stack of punched
paper could be layed by the pointed pieces, and wiggled so the points go
through it all, then closed up. I end up doing it one piece at a time, and
by the time I get maybe 20 on it, it's filled up and I can't fit more
(without it all starting to fall off) Seems like the plastic comb, with the
semi-sharp pieces sticking up to put the paper on, are so light and bendy
you can't just line up the holes (in a few pieces at a time) and lay them so
the points go right through. And, not a lot of pieces of paper will fit on
the open comb at once.

   Since it says it binds up to 100 pages (and I am using the combs that
came with it) I'm starting to think maybe I'm doing it wrong.  The combs
look like the average size for binding. One of my grandkids had a recipe
book made in school (years ago, but we still have it) with about 40 pages of
heavy paper and the same kind/size of plastic spiral comb holding it
together.

   I've looked in google and can't find any websites that have directions
(and maybe pictures) and can't find an address for the company that produces
it.

   Just thought where people who use Publisher (also maybe work in an office
and use binding machines for reports, etc)  someone might know.

   I know, there are binding machines that cost $400 or more that probably
do it better.  But, I don't need it that much to invest in something like
this.

    Thanks,

       Carrie

0
starchild (273)

Hi Carrie!

I used to use one of these at my son's elementary school.  Here are larger
'binding spines' at Office Depot http://tinyurl.com/25w36o  From what I
recall, you just use larger spines to put in more papers.  Your description
sounds real familiar ... I think you're doing it right, you just need larger
spines!

--
Take Care,
Anita

0
Anita (41)
2/12/2007 8:14:00 PM
 Thanks!

  I wasn't sure if I was doing it right, before I tried other things

 Since the machine says on it (the ebay auction and box) it "binds up to 100
sheets" I assumed the spines that came with it (to start) were ones that
would do this. Otherwise, you'd think it would say "binds up to 100 sheets,
using larger binder combs NOT INCLUDED" (LOL)

 I don't really now how many sheets of paper I might want to put together,
the size I got works for calenders and maybe I can get 20 pages on (at least
smaller size ones with fewer holes).

  At least I know. I'm trying to decide what is the best way to punch the
holes, which don't always seem to go through cleanly (open) Either press
down really fast and hard (sort of like an exercise for the upper body and
bustline (LOL) or hold it steady and BANG it down really hard.  That way
seem to work the best.

    It's probably not the best machine, even for the money, but at the time
it was all I could find that wasn't $400

    ~ Carrie

"Anita" <Anita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Carrie!
>
> I used to use one of these at my son's elementary school.  Here are larger
> 'binding spines' at Office Depot http://tinyurl.com/25w36o  From what I
> recall, you just use larger spines to put in more papers.  Your
> description
> sounds real familiar ... I think you're doing it right, you just need
> larger
> spines!
>
> --
> Take Care,
> Anita

0
starchild (273)
2/12/2007 10:19:11 PM
"Anita" <Anita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Carrie!
>
> I used to use one of these at my son's elementary school.  Here are larger
> 'binding spines' at Office Depot http://tinyurl.com/25w36o  From what I
> recall, you just use larger spines to put in more papers.  Your
> description
> sounds real familiar ... I think you're doing it right, you just need
> larger
> spines!
>
> --
> Take Care,
> Anita

   Anita, I looked at the binder combs I got from Staples (I don't remember
it saying what size comb held how much paper) and they are GBC combs, 3/8"

  Going by the Office Depot page you sent the link to, this should hold 60
pages.

   It almost seems like if I openned up the comb myself without the
machine/tool and pushed each one of the plastic arrow pices through all the
holes in the sheets my self (working down the page) it might work. It's
trying to get all the papers on the arrows (which are kind of light, flimsy
plastic and bend easily instead of going through) that's the problem. And
getting filled up and falling off before I can put more on. I tried closing
the machine half way to have more of the arrow pieces sticking up (putting
in a pen to keep it from closing totally) and that helped.

     Of course, now I know more about it, I can get bigger spines in case I
want to do more pages. The ones I have look like they were hold more than 12
or 20 pieces of paper, if one could get it ON them before closing.

      I'm glad you knew what I'm talking about, because it's hard to
explain.

       Maybe there's no trick just keep practicing? Getting the holes
punched nice and clean and open and lined up seems to help, too.

      ~ Carrie

0
starchild (273)

outlook browser question
I just got a new PC with Windows XP Home Edition. After starting it up, I had no problem getting my email set up as I was able to access my old PC email account settings. The look of Outlook was new and I really like it. But here's my problem, I wanted Outlook to open automatically upon starting Windows, so here's what I did. I went into Windows Explorer and copied and pasted the Outlook Express Icon under /programfiles/outlookexpress/msimn.exe into my c:/startmenu/programs/startup directory. This is how I had done this in the past and it worked fine. So, I rebooted to see...

xsd question #5
I am doing a bulk load and an element name in the xsd and xml is named differently in the database. I can NOT change the database field or xml. Can I do anything with ehw XSD? The field name in the db is "CaseType" <xs:schema xmlns="" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:sql="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:mapping-schema"> <xs:element name="Cases" sql:relation="PUCCASES"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="NbrOfCases" type="xs:decimal"/> <xs:ele...

Question
I have a typical office network configured under windows 2003 server. If the shared folders stored on the server suddenly start getting disconnected from each terminal, that means that my DNS on each terminal has been wrongly configured, or there is another thing to consider? Thanks JPG Can you post unedited ipconfig /all from server and client? -- Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] http://www.microsoft.com/protect "Juan Pablo Gallardo" wrote: >I h...

To view GAL in Head office exchange
Hi all, We have 2 regional offices and a Head office, I would like to allow the users from regional offices to view the Head office GAL, is it possible. Regional offices have Exchange 2003 as well as Head office and are link through VPN. Appreciate all help Thank you !! =?Utf-8?B?Um95IFN0b24=?= <RoySton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:1AC2966D-4656-43FB-8B3E-191EFD856EF0@microsoft.com: > We have 2 regional offices and a Head office, I would like to allow the > users from regional offices to view the Head office GAL, is it possible. > > Regional offices h...

Registry question
Hello Group, How can I create a registry key that can be deleted by any user on the machine. A sample code or any other reference will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Geo On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:49:25 -0700, Geo wrote: >How can I create a registry key that can be deleted by >any user on the machine. Then you'd have to put it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. See the family of functions which begin Reg... with particular attention to RegCreateKeyEx, RegSetValueEx and RegCloseKey. Here's a sample (trivial) function. It adds a key/value, and is designed to make the registry look l...

Outlook 2007 and Office XP
Can I use Outlook 2007 and retain Office XP - users in the office do not want to learn Word 2007? Yes, but you will lose all Office automation, like Send To from Office, = mail merges, etc. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Phil Erlich asked: | Can I use Outlook 2007 and retain Office XP - users in the office do | not want to learn Word 2007? ...

How do I turn on Excel Autosave in Office XP?
Craig There is no Autosave in XL2002 and 2003 as there was in earlier versions. Autorecovery from Tools>Options>Save is it. This is not the same as Autosave which made true incremental saves at intervals. Autorecovery just saves a temporary file which it deletes if Excel closes normally without incident. BTW.....Dave Peterson reports that he tried an earlier version of Autosave.xla in XL2002 and it seemed to work fine. I have also tried the Autosave.XLA from XL97 and does the job. To download the 97 version go here..... http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm I...

Out of office reply #5
I have outlook 2002 but I appear not to have out of office reply available to me. I have discovered you need Microsoft Exchange that has an auto reply wizard. I am having the same problem. In Outlook you have to creat rules. If you determine how to write a rule to notify senders that you are Out of the Office, would you please share it with me. Thank you. >-----Original Message----- >I have outlook 2002 but I appear not to have out of office >reply available to me. >. > ...

List box with available queries question
I have a list box control on a form and want the list box to display all the queries within the database. The following code is what I have so far but it does not work. Any help is appreciated. SELECT [Name] FROM MSysObjects WHERE [TYPE] = 5 and LEFT([Name],1) <> "-" ORDER BY [Name]; "Billy B" <BillyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F47BB77B-7B66-4860-8954-F4FE32FE7C3C@microsoft.com... >I have a list box control on a form and want the list box to display all >the > queries within the database. The following code is what...

Microsoft Office Connector to MSN
I am so very confused. I purchased Windows XP Home Edition and Microsoft Works 7.0 and I still do not have Microsoft Outlook. Therefore, I cannot install the Microsoft Office Connector to MSN. I have Outlook Express and it's working fine. Do I "NOW" need to go buy Microsoft Outlook? Doesn't it come with XP or Works? Microsoft won't tell me anything without me giving them more money. Donna <holyjuicer219@msn.com> wrote: > I am so very confused. I purchased Windows XP Home > Edition and Microsoft Works 7.0 and I still do not have > Microsoft Outlook....

Urgent! Help Needed To Install Office 2008 on MacBook Air
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel This morning I was told to install MS Office for Mac 2008 on my bosses MBA. We have a multi license package and the disk for his computer is off site. I used a disk that has been installed on another computer thinking that I could at least get it installed and enter the correct product key later. The installer kept stalling out and crashing so I put the folder it had installed into the trash bin and emptied it. I now have the correct product key and I can't get to the installer screen that has the input prompt for t...

Newbie Cell Reference Question...
Hello, I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I'm no quite sure what to search for as I'm not very good with excel. I'm making a spreadsheet where one sheet references another. I'll tr to explain this as best as possible.... I'm creating a spreadsheet for a fantasy basketball league. I have "Data" sheet that contains data for all players. I have another sheet "Teams" that has all the players on each team. Column B contains th players name, and column C contains a number that corresponds to th row this player is on in the dat...

CRM licensing question #2
Can one use CRM 4.0 client access licenses for CRM 3.0 Small business edition? ...

Dynamic Dist List question...
I'm trying to create a dynamic distribution group that will capture all users from a set of mailbox stores except one user and I've got it pretty close. However, at the end of my shell script it prompts me for an OU. If I put in an OU it defaults to only the users in that OU that meet the criteria. Is there any harm with putting my domain name in the OU field so it will look at all of the users in the entire domain? Here's the powershell: new-dynamicdistributiongroup DynamicTest2 -RecipientFilter {(RecipientType -eq 'usermailbox' -and -not name -eq "Excluded ...

Excel question #9
Is there a way that I can transpose the order of the values in a cell? For example I have the values of 10.200.13.1 in a cell and I want to transpose(not sure if that is the correct term or not) the order of the values in the cell so that they appear as 1.13.200.10. thanks for any help as I have literally 4 pages of these kind of values that I have to flip. -- Brian blanktree at hotmail dot com Hi try the following user defined function from John Walkenbach's book Excel 2000 formulas (great resource by the way): Option Explicit Function REVERSETEXT(text) As String ' R...

how do i veiw a calender from outlook on office live?
i am trying to share calenders. the help said i could veiw mine and others calenders online at microsoft office. ...

Is your microsoft office outlook download update looping?
-- PackersFAN In article <3F7B4D82-187F-4022-BF52-C085A98CF410@microsoft.com>, lambeau@discussions.microsoft.com says... > If you're talking about the outlook (hotmail) connector - yep - that's what it does for several of us it seems. Use this link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=39db2b89-af2e- 41f9-a175-f93e1377959f&displaylang=en Or if you cannot unwrap, get the link is connected to from this page: http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook/HA102225181033.aspx -- Duncan. Yes, I am experiencing same thing. "...

Upgrading Microsoft Office when switching to OSX
I recently upgraded my Mac from 9.x to OSX. I was running Office 2001 in 9.x. Do I have to buy new software to have the version of Office that is compatible with OSX or can I download an upgrade? You can run Office 2001 inside Classic in OS X, or you can purchase Office X or Office 2004 as OS X-native programs. Office 2004 is the latest version. Owning Office 2001 qualifies you for the discount on an upgrade copy, but not for a free new version. On 3/8/05 8:02 PM, "anonymous" wrote: > I recently upgraded my Mac from 9.x to OSX. I was running Office 2001 > in 9.x. Do I ...

Can not install Office Ultimate 2007 because of a setup error mess
Hello group, I have a desktop with no Office Suite which I built with Windows XP Pro SP2 (Version 2002), from a WGA Kit. I ordered the back-up discs (2 pcs) Office Ultimate 2007 from digital river.com store and tried installing in this machine but I get this message: "Setup error: The language of this installation package is not supported by your system." I tried it on the 2nd DVD drive of the same machine but same result. I tried installing the Office software in a Sony Vaio laptop and it seems it will install properly and I discontinued the setup. Any information/ass...

Exchange 2010 CALs question
In terms of migrating to Windows Server 2008, we must use device Server/RDS CALs. When we install Exchange Server 2010, must we use device CALs or can we work with user CALs instead?? On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 05:46:40 -0800 (PST), tom12010 <tlyczko@gmail.com> wrote: >In terms of migrating to Windows Server 2008, we must use device >Server/RDS CALs. > >When we install Exchange Server 2010, must we use device CALs or can >we work with user CALs instead?? Exchange and Windows CALs are unrelated. There are two types of Exchange CALs - standard & Enterprise. T...

Data validation question #2
I'd like to create data validation in a cell that prevents user's from entering any commas, but allowing all other characters. This spreadsheet is exported to a comma delimited file, and extra commas cause problems. I looked at the examples in help, and couldn't find anything preventing a character from being entered into a cell. Any ideas? -Thanks A couple of ways: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A1,",")) or =COUNTIF(A1,"*,*")=0 or =LEN(A1)=LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","")) Fred wrote: > > I'd like to create data validation in a cell that p...

i need to host multiple domains, some questions
I need to serve a multi-domain mail system, using only one IS, and each = company users will reside in different OUs in the "root" company AD. now: 1) i know i can add to the default recipient policy the new mail domain, = but i want that each mail domain to be automatically assigned to a user = in the OU(i.e. i create a user, it creates the exvchasnge mailbox with = the correct mail domain), how can i do this? 2) when loging in via owa, i don't want the users to log with the = user@domain of the root domain, each logon should be with his own = domain. 3) how can i enforce limi...

Office Reinstall
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I purchased the full version of Office 2008 with my Mac last summer. Everything was working fine until 3 weeks ago when Word disappeared completely. It cannot even be found on the HD. All other applications with Office are still there and functioning fine. I downloaded the trial version of Office 2008 hoping I could do a reinstall (I cannot find the install discs - after moving 3 times this year!). My product key will not work with the trial. Is there anything I can do to get this going again? Thanks in advance. On 10/6/09 5:24 PM, ...

IF THEN QUESTION???
Perhaps this has been discussed in the past. I have 30 worksheets in an EXCEL file. The #1 worksheet is the main informational sheet. I'm trying to obtain the formula that would allow me to retrieve a specific data from any of the given worksheet. Example: If J7 is 2, I would like for the system to go to worksheet #2 and obtain the number from cell d39. If tomorrow I change J7 to 25, I would like it to go to worksheet #25 and obtain the number from d39. Your assistance is greatly appreciated Thanks in advance, Mike Have a look at the INDIRECT function to create this formula ...

Office Outlook 2003 & OWA problem
Hopefully someone knows how to help me with this.. I have one user who's new email only appears in his inbox via OWA. "Regular Outlook" says the his inbox is "up to date", even though it does not download any of the new mail.. What makes this really strange, is that if I delete one of these new messages from his inbox via OWA, the message now appears in his deleted items via regular Outlook.. I have tried clearing his offline files, plus I completely uninstalled outlook once, rebooted, then reinstalled and I am still having the same problems.. I have checked...