Newsletter Production Question

I'm using Publisher 2003 and Windows XP Home to produce a monthly 20 pg
Newsletter for our Civic Association.  We would like to use a program to
track members and produce address labels or merge addresses with Publisher
to print on the newsletters.  Please, can anyone recommend a product to do
this?  I know this isn't a publisher question but I feel this is a good
group to ask because some of you are probably using MS Publisher to do
something similar.  It would be nice to also be able to record phone numbers
and payment of dues.
--
Bob Miller
bluegrassbobNOSPAM@earthlink.net

After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message
from Bob Miller <bluegrassbobNO_SPAM@earthlink.net>...
> I'm using Publisher 2003 and Windows XP Home to produce a monthly 20
> pg Newsletter for our Civic Association.  We would like to use a
> program to track members and produce address labels or merge
> addresses with Publisher to print on the newsletters.  Please, can
> anyone recommend a product to do this?

Two words:
Microsoft Access

(And I bet any money that ��MS�Publisher�� will butt in now and shout that
Microsoft Access is a mega dog of a product and that you should use
Filemaker, which I would take issue with.  I shall wait until his
interruption is finished before adding any more)

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6342)
12/19/2003 8:24:03 PM
Ed,

I use Excel to do the above: name, address, city, state, zip, expiration
date.

Mike

Ed Bennett wrote:
> After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message
> from Bob Miller <bluegrassbobNO_SPAM@earthlink.net>...
>
>>I'm using Publisher 2003 and Windows XP Home to produce a monthly 20
>>pg Newsletter for our Civic Association.  We would like to use a
>>program to track members and produce address labels or merge
>>addresses with Publisher to print on the newsletters.  Please, can
>>anyone recommend a product to do this?
>

> Two words:
> Microsoft Access
>
> (And I bet any money that ��MS�Publisher�� will butt in now and shout that
> Microsoft Access is a mega dog of a product and that you should use
> Filemaker, which I would take issue with.  I shall wait until his
> interruption is finished before adding any more)

0
wordwiz (948)
12/19/2003 9:01:30 PM
Thanks Ed and Mike.  Forgot to mention that this is a very low budget civic
association.  I purchased MS Publisher myself.  I don't mind spending a
little more but there is a limit.  I'll look at your recommendations..
Thanks again.

--
Bob Miller
bluegrassbob@earthlink.net

from Mike Koewler <wordwiz@fuse.net>...
> I use Excel to do the above: name, address, city, state, zip,
> expiration date.

Yeah, but I would always recommend Access over Excel for DB work (seeing how
Excel is a spreadsheet - similar to the reason I would always recommend
Publisher over Word for newsletters)

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
the_nerd (6342)
12/19/2003 9:18:45 PM
You can make a rudimentary database within Publisher, it works. Tools, mail and
catalog merge, create address list.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/
"Bob Miller" <bluegrassbobNO_SPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Thanks Ed and Mike.  Forgot to mention that this is a very low budget civic
> association.  I purchased MS Publisher myself.  I don't mind spending a
> little more but there is a limit.  I'll look at your recommendations..
> Thanks again.
>
> --
> Bob Miller
> bluegrassbob@earthlink.net
>
> "Mike Koewler" <wordwiz@fuse.net> wrote in message
> > Ed,
> >
> > I use Excel to do the above: name, address, city, state, zip, expiration
> > date.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > Ed Bennett wrote:
> > > After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message
> > > from Bob Miller <bluegrassbobNO_SPAM@earthlink.net>...

> > > Two words:
> > > Microsoft Access
> > >
> > > (And I bet any money that ��MS�Publisher�� will butt in now and shout
> that
> > > Microsoft Access is a mega dog of a product and that you should use
> > > Filemaker, which I would take issue with.  I shall wait until his
> > > interruption is finished before adding any more)

0
laserdog (1122)
12/19/2003 10:17:25 PM
Bob trust me, MS Access is firstly a mega dog of a product in every way,
secondly it is a ripoff price for such a disgusting low quality difficult to
use product, thirdly you would have to send everybody to a six month
training session to use Access it is so disgustingly awkward.

Bob, do yourself a favour, find a copy of MS Works 4.5a and use the database
from that.  It is the *IDEAL* application for your job in every way, and is
easy and friendly to use, and merges perfectly with Publisher.  Works
database is easy to sort and do everything you need and more.

Whatever you do, stay well away from the built in database in Publisher, it
is as big of a dog as MS Access.

donotknock (1941)
12/19/2003 11:24:46 PM
Ed suggesting MS Access for a little job of keeping track of members just
proves your senile dementia is getting past a joke and it is about time you
really retired to the geriatric home.

donotknock (1941)

Simple question about send permissions
I have a user with multiple email addresses. The primary email address on this account does not match the domain the user is logged into ex. me@someotherdomain.com. But that works fine. All out going mail for that user has that other email address in the from field when it gets to it's intended recipients. Now if that user tries to send an email specifying a different email address in the from field he gets the following error in a returned email: "You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator." The address he ...

question about grouping the emails.
Hi, I am signed-up to a discussion group and i get question about a prob and also solutions as a reply. i am grouping the e-mails by subject, For example... subject: "problem with ABCDE" in reply the subject will be "RE: problem with ABCDE" now Outlook2003 is grouping these two into seperate groups and if there is a reply with subject "RE:RE: problem with ABCDE" it groups that seperately. i want to group the replies also into the same group. the reply to the emails are grouped seperately. i want to have an exception in the grouping saying to ignore the word...

Hyperlink Question?
Hi I have a table (column) with about 1000 website urls. They aren't linked, just static text -- how can I enmass make those all clickable hyperlinks ? I dread having to re-enter or copy and paste that many with the =HYPERLINK() method. Thanks, Jason Hi see: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm in the middle of this page is some code to convert text to hyperlinks -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Jason" <jason@thinkingman.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:63e9575b.0408141013.6112ad3@posting.google.com... > Hi > > I have a table (column)...

Question: Windows Messenger
Hi I have problm with my Outlook Express, When I open this program other appliction with the name of Windows Messenger start with it!. If anybody know how I can open it without Windows Messenger please tall me. Greeting Reza B. Nikjoo Open OE and select Tools | Options. Uncheck the box about logging into Windows Messenger. From there, you just have to close the contacts pane that shows up in the lower left hand corner. "Reza B. Nikjoo" <reza_nikjoo@atinegar.com> wrote in message news:OKLKkilVDHA.2096@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi > I have problm with my Outloo...

3 more dumb Excel questions
#1. I have retrieved data from an Analysis Services cube into a pivot table. The first column of my report is Year Id and I have limited the data to year 2002. The second column is department and I have limited the data to Dept 90. The next column is a list of stores and the final column is unit sales for each store. I am using field settings, advanced to sort the stores by descending sale units. The problem is this: If I include all the stores, the correct result is produced. If I only ask for the top 25 the result is different from (but close to) the first 25 lines of the l...

Windows media player question
I would like to rip all my CDs in mp3 files and save them all on my computer each CD in its own folder. Then I would like to include all the folders in my WMP library and be able to select a playlist from any number of folders. Is this possible? If yes, how? Thanks in advance. -- Tony Vella Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/ "Tony Vella" <tony.vella@rogers.com> wrote in message news:D7WdnSVc7PrF84fWnZ2dnUVZ_qqdnZ2d@giganews.com... > I would like to rip all my CDs in mp3 files and save them all on my computer each CD in its own > f...

Product Name Field 100 chrs
hey al The product Name field is limited to 100 characters, is it possible to increase that? ive tried deployment manager -> schema manager -> but the length is grayed out I could change the field size from sql enterprise manager but not sure if it'll bust crm. any suggestions will be appriciate Thanks If you are upto your limit then I think you will need to create a custom attribute in the Product entity. I would check to see if there is another attribute already created that you could use for this purpose first. would be nice is ms could increase the length of the name field ...

Textbox If question
Hi I tried posting this yesterday but it didnt seem to work. Anyway I have a textbox I wish for it to look up a value from a table through a query for a particular cell by using critera however I would like the textbox to display the value -1 if the query says that no value is contained. One approach might be to do the conversion to -1 within your query (using an IIF() statement). -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.InformationFutures.net Microsoft Office/Access MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/ Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor http://microsoftitacademy.com/ "steveatdb" <st...

Hard question !!! : Outlook appointment form
How can i capture or modify the delete button action in outlook 2000 appointment form (in vbscript)? the problem is solved by the "BeforeDelete" event handler int outlook 2002/2003. Please help reply me if possible to basel_bitam@hotmail.com Thanks a lot and have a great day. ...

Question Regarding Milestones Going Back to 0%
Hello, Does anybody know why this is happening or if there is a fix I can use? I’ve got a master project with several sub-projects in it. When I accept status updates from resources via PWA, all milestones that were 100% change to 0%. Does anybody know why this is happening or if there is a fix I can use? Thank you in advance! Tim ...

newb-like question on threads
OK, so I thought I knew what a 'thread' was. But maybe not anymore... Basically, I just took the quick & dirty view that a thread was just a path of execution for an app. But anyway... I found this line of documentation for a function I wanted to use: "XXXEvent() does not return until the specified event occurs. For this reason, it is best used inside of a thread." Um... OK, newbiness now. How would I (not that I want to) get this function 'outside' of a thread? Thanks. djarvinen@gmail.com wrote: > OK, so I thought I knew what a 'thread' was. ...

Graphing Question
I'm trying to graph a 2005 company trend showing dollars and numbers. The dollar amount is in the millions and the number amount is in th low 100's. How can I graph both lines on the same chart? When I tr to graph them as separate series the number trend basiclly lies on to of the x axis. I'd like to be able to see both of them on the sam graph -- petevan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- petevang's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2503 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?th...

checkif/sumif question
Hi I have a sheet with names scrambled in sheet1.column A down. column B down dates, C down items bought, d down price per item. I want to hit a button and have it summarised on sheet 2. for example... Emp1 29/12/09 pie 12.50 emp2 2912/09 juice 4.50 emp1 30/12/09 cake 9.50 emp3 27/12/09 fruit 10.50 emp1 25/12/09 pie 12.50 emp1 30/12/09 cake 9.50 emp1 29/12/09 juice 4.50 the summary should look like this emp1 25/12/09 pie 1 12.50 29/12/09...

question
Can mac office 2004 edit and create XML documents that the new windows office 2007 uses? No to both questions - but 2007 can open a Mac Word doc & save it as XML... just be sure to use the .doc extension for any files that go to a PC. -- HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac <shantanu.bookworm@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166632470.126127.262190@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Can mac office 2004 edit and create XML documents that the new windows > office 2007 uses? > Hi, At the present time the answer is no. However, a converter is expected that will allo...

Easy CComboBox question
Say the user changes selection in a CComboBox, hence that selection will be highlighted. Then the user clicks a scrollbar. I want to un-highlight the selection in the CComboBox. How is this done? "hamishd" <Hamish.Dean@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151825291.205518.31820@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Say the user changes selection in a CComboBox, hence that selection > will be highlighted. Then the user clicks a scrollbar. I want to > un-highlight the selection in the CComboBox. How is this done? Respond to OnVScroll and SetCurSel(-1) ? Dave -- David We...

Budget question #2
When I do my budget in Money it shows a line item - Transfer into budget accounts and has a negative number. I've looked at everything trying to figure out what this is since it is reducing my income on my budget but I can't figure it out. HELP!! It's driving me nuts. Check to see all the transfers that you have set up in Bills and Deposits, and create a listing of the accounts that are included then go to each of those accounts and check the set up for each account that those transfers affect... It appears that one of those accounts, has "include this account i...

Microsoft CRM 1.2 Product Catalog Security
I'm trying to customize one CRM installation for multiple Sales Teams. The problem is, as every team members have their own Leads, Accounts, etc... Each team has his own products catalog. Is there is anyway which we can customize the security of the product catalog as we do with other CRM elements? for example, for accounts we can set the security roles to be on OU level. So I did the setup with a Different OU for each sales team. but still the product catalog is shared among all the OU's! Does anyone have a solution for this? is there is a better way to setup multiple sales teams with...

Public folder questions
I've got a couple of questions: 1. Is there a way to export a listing of what folders exist and which users have what role for each folder? 2. Is there an 'ExMerge' type utility to pull the postings from Public Folders into something like a .pst file? Thanks for any help. Mike Lawson Mike, As far as item 1, check out this post on the MS Exchange Blog. It discusses the various public folders tools MS has. http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/11/05/252979.aspx -- -- Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us Http://www.briandesmond.com "...

Newbie: Category Question
Hi Folks, I have Money 2003 and just set up the online banking feature with my bank. When my banking transactions are downloaded, i would like certain frequent transactions to default to a certain category. For example, when I make an ATM transaction at the grocery store, the "Payee" field is always the same. I am wondering if there is some automatic way to categorize these incoming transactions (like "Food:Groceries). I have tried the "Make Recurring" feature, but that doesn't seem to do it. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to automatically recognize certain...

Conditional Formating Question
Can I conditional format a certain cell based on a different cells value, for example: I have 3 different colors that show up in cell D7, but I have a value in D8 already that I do not want to change, but I want the color of D8 to be the color that shows up in D7. So... If D7 equals Green then I want the background of D8 to be Green as well, but if D7 equals Red then D8's background would be Red, and so on. I don't know if I can solve this through conditional formatting or if there is some VBA that would do this. Any help? Thanks, TyeJae --- Message posted from http://www.Excel...

Conditional Formatting Question 11-15-07
I've a continuous form with 3 fields the row. One is a Date field. How can I set all 3 field's text color to red if the Date field equals Date()?? I can set the format for the Date field but I would like the other 2 fields to have the text red, also. Any help will be appreciated, James James, You asked the same question yesterday and got two replies. Did you not see those or did they not work for you. Peter. On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:42:50 -0500, "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote: >I've a continuous form with 3 fields the row. One is a Date field. >...

Pivate Sub Question
If I had 6 buttons that I deleted off my form, how come the Private Subs did not get deleted?and how do I know if there is any more Private Subs that do nothing................Thanks Bob Bob napisa�(a):> If I had 6 buttons that I deleted off my form, how come the Private Subs did > not get deleted?> and how do I know if there is any more Private Subs that do > nothing................Thanks Bob > > Hmm, it is difficult...

Question about SBS2008, Windows Server 2008 and SQL 2008
I have SBS2008 premium setup. Windows Server 2008 is setup and joined to the SBS2008 domain. I have SQL 2008 installed on the Windows Server 2008. If I unjoin the Windows Server 2008 from SBS 2008 will SQL 2008 still run? Please advise and thanks. john doe wrote: > I have SBS2008 premium setup. Windows Server 2008 is setup and joined to the > SBS2008 domain. > I have SQL 2008 installed on the Windows Server 2008. > If I unjoin the Windows Server 2008 from SBS 2008 will SQL 2008 still run? > Please advise and thanks. > > The SQL shipped with the SBS ...

clustered stacked bar chart
Ok, I've googled the instructions for the side-by-side stacked bar chart. I've gone through it, and so far the only thing I haven't figured out is how to space the cluster of bars apart from eachother. So I have a cluster of stacks for 1 group, and a cluster for another. They just appear side by side, I need a good space between each cluster. I've played with the gap of the 0 value series that sets up the X axis, and that didnt work. Anyone got any suggestions? Double click a bar/column in the chart to open the Format Data Series dialog Open the Options tab Set the Overla...

Quote product line should allow for negative extended amounts.
Quote product lines should allow for negative amounts. A situation where this is required is when dealing with bulk discounts. We want the ability to apply a product line with a negative value and have the overall quote value reflect this change. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agre...