MS Publisher "Select Table" won't list views with user-defined functions?!

MS Publisher "Select Table" won't list views (queries) containing
user-defined functions?!
What's wrong?  And how to work around this?

Using the latest version of Microsoft Publisher and MS Access (2003 sp2
with all latest updates), I am trying to create physical asset labels,
with a unique serial number on each label.

And in Microsoft Publisher,  when I go to "select data source" and
select my MS Access database "20060117pst2301pmb primary.mdb" (which
generates such serial numbers), I get a popup entitled "Select Table"
which lists all its tables, plus all its views *which do not have any
user-defined functions" (though it doesn't warn its making such a
filtering).

However, I am creating globally unique serial numbers on the fly (one
for each physical asset label), which requires (it would seem) a
user-defined function.

What's wrong?  And how to work around this?

  (1) I tried sneaking in my user-defined function into the view after
MS Publisher had linked with to the view, but then view becomes empty
and the connection breaks.
  (2) Alternatively, every time I want to print asset labels, I could
first open the MS Access database and do a make-table query (to
physically store the view into a real table); but this is wasteful, and
problematic (what if the same serial number gets printed twice?).
  (3) Or I could just produce the labels within MS Access, since
fortunately they're simple-enough in design.  But I'm still curious...

What's wrong?  And how to get MS Publisher to use as a data source a
view with user-defined functions?  Thanks!

PS: Include your Paypal email and I'll send you some $ for good
answers!

-Mike Parker, www.Cytex.com

0
MBParker (3)

Dear Mike:

For applications other than Access, the built-in and user-defined functions
are not available when using Jet as the database.

I recommend you use MSDE instead.  It's built in functions will always be
available, although they are different from those in Access/Jet.  You can
also build your own user-defined functions in an MSDE database (again
different from any Jet functions) and use them anywhere within that
database.

Tom Ellison

<MBParker@Alum.MIT.Edu> wrote in message
> MS Publisher "Select Table" won't list views (queries) containing
> user-defined functions?!
> What's wrong?  And how to work around this?
>
> Using the latest version of Microsoft Publisher and MS Access (2003 sp2
> with all latest updates), I am trying to create physical asset labels,
> with a unique serial number on each label.
>
> And in Microsoft Publisher,  when I go to "select data source" and
> select my MS Access database "20060117pst2301pmb primary.mdb" (which
> generates such serial numbers), I get a popup entitled "Select Table"
> which lists all its tables, plus all its views *which do not have any
> user-defined functions" (though it doesn't warn its making such a
> filtering).
>
> However, I am creating globally unique serial numbers on the fly (one
> for each physical asset label), which requires (it would seem) a
> user-defined function.
>
> What's wrong?  And how to work around this?
>
>  (1) I tried sneaking in my user-defined function into the view after
> MS Publisher had linked with to the view, but then view becomes empty
> and the connection breaks.
>  (2) Alternatively, every time I want to print asset labels, I could
> first open the MS Access database and do a make-table query (to
> physically store the view into a real table); but this is wasteful, and
> problematic (what if the same serial number gets printed twice?).
>  (3) Or I could just produce the labels within MS Access, since
> fortunately they're simple-enough in design.  But I'm still curious...
>
> What's wrong?  And how to get MS Publisher to use as a data source a
> view with user-defined functions?  Thanks!
>
> PS: Include your Paypal email and I'll send you some $ for good
> answers!
>
> -Mike Parker, www.Cytex.com

0
tellison (2)

MS Publisher "Select Table" won't list views with user-defined functions?!
MS Publisher "Select Table" won't list views (queries) containing user-defined functions?! What's wrong? And how to work around this? Using the latest version of Microsoft Publisher and MS Access (2003 sp2 with all latest updates), I am trying to create physical asset labels, with a unique serial number on each label. And in Microsoft Publisher, when I go to "select data source" and select my MS Access database "20060117pst2301pmb primary.mdb" (which generates such serial numbers), I get a popup entitled "Select Table" which lists all its tab...

Modifying dbowner on select tables
I would like to run a query to modify the dbowner on certain databases. We have some software that generates a new database after so many days or file size, it is totally unpredictable. I would like to be able to have a script run daily that just modifies all databases that are 'Like' a certain pattern and modify the owner. I can do this step by step but not sure how to put in a single set of steps. Below are the manual steps I use. SELECT * FROM master.sys.databases where name like 'wslogdb63_%' use DBName go exec sp_changedbowner 'ws_sa','...

Select table to query
I have some tables that are named according to the date they are created e.g. 20080101TABLE, 20080215TABLE… and so on. The field names on these tables are exactly the same. Currently I’m building a query to analyze every table but I want to make this procedure faster. Before I run the query I would like to select the table I’m interested. How can I achieve this? My access skills are quite limited but if someone could give an example or some guidance I think I would be able to achieve it. Thanks in advance. Add a field for date and combine your tables into one. You will not need to c...