Moving between Columns

Is it possible to move from column to column without having to fill up one
column and move to the next? Example, what if I want to key a short message
in each column?

Yes - don't link the two columns together or use columns of different
lengths.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Betty Pratt" <BettyPratt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to move from column to column without having to fill up one
> column and move to the next? Example, what if I want to key a short
> message
> in each column?

0
jl_paules (2768)
4/17/2008 12:00:11 AM
Thanks! I'll try it

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> Yes - don't link the two columns together or use columns of different
> lengths.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Betty Pratt" <BettyPratt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to move from column to column without having to fill up one
> > column and move to the next? Example, what if I want to key a short
> > message
> > in each column?

Let us know if it works the way you wanted.

--

> Thanks! I'll try it
>
> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>
>> Yes - don't link the two columns together or use columns of different
>> lengths.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Betty Pratt" <BettyPratt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is it possible to move from column to column without having to fill up
>> > one
>> > column and move to the next? Example, what if I want to key a short
>> > message
>> > in each column?

0
jl_paules (2768)
4/17/2008 12:49:17 AM
Hi Joann

It doesn't seem to work as I don't know how not to connect columns. I insert
a text box into the document and then put (for example) three columns in the
text box. They are linked. The only way I can see is to make three seperate
text boxes which is more work.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> Let us know if it works the way you wanted.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Betty Pratt" <BettyPratt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks! I'll try it
> >
> > "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes - don't link the two columns together or use columns of different
> >> lengths.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> JoAnn Paules
> >> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
> >>

> >> "Betty Pratt" <BettyPratt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Are you trying to go to the next column without filling up the first? Try
ctrl+shift+enter.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Hi Joann
>
> It doesn't seem to work as I don't know how not to connect columns. I insert
> a text box into the document and then put (for example) three columns in the
> text box. They are linked. The only way I can see is to make three seperate
> text boxes which is more work.
>
> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>
>> Let us know if it works the way you wanted.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Betty Pratt" <BettyPratt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks! I'll try it

0
mary-sauer (6480)
4/17/2008 9:24:51 AM
Yay!!  That is exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much!

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Are you trying to go to the next column without filling up the first? Try
> ctrl+shift+enter.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Betty Pratt" <BettyPratt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Joann
> >
> > It doesn't seem to work as I don't know how not to connect columns. I insert
> > a text box into the document and then put (for example) three columns in the
> > text box. They are linked. The only way I can see is to make three seperate
> > text boxes which is more work.
> >
> > "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
> >
> >> Let us know if it works the way you wanted.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> JoAnn Paules
> >> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
> >>

> >> "Betty Pratt" <BettyPratt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Glad to help, thanks for your post, it is appreciated.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Yay!!  That is exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much!
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Are you trying to go to the next column without filling up the first? Try
>> ctrl+shift+enter.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "Betty Pratt" <BettyPratt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Joann
>> >
>> > It doesn't seem to work as I don't know how not to connect columns. I
>> > insert
>> > a text box into the document and then put (for example) three columns in
>> > the
>> > text box. They are linked. The only way I can see is to make three seperate
>> > text boxes which is more work.

0
mary-sauer (6480)

Pivot Table Report: Getting average of difference of two date columns
Hello I have data in excel sheet as: WORK_ID PROJECT START_DT END_DT 1001 P1 1/1/2006 1/10/2006 1002 P1 1/25/2006 2/20/2006 1003 P1 3/15/2006 3/20/2006 I want to have a report that will give me average time taken to finish a work in a project. That is, I have to take average of (end_dt - start_dt) for a project group. How do I do this in a pivot table report. When I use a calculate field to get the days worked for a work_id using DATEDIF(START_DT, END_DT, "D") then excel computes only sum on that (pivot table report ...

How to lock a column
I want to lock column B in my worksheet (meaning I want it hidden and no one should be able to unhide it). And also, I have two tabs in my worksheet that I don't want anyone to see but they need to be in that file. Thanks! -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com These would depend on the security of a protected worksheet/workbook. The bad news is that worksheet/workbook protection (under tools|protection) in excel is not made for this kind of thing. It can be broken in a matter of minutes. If you really have secure data that other shouldn't see, don't put it in excel...

Cells not adjusting to new Column
Currently, I have the following formula in Column J of the audit sheet: =IF((upload!J2-control!J2=0)," ",(upload!J2-control!J2) If I insert a column in the audit sheet, the formula in Column J is now in Column K, but the formula stays the same. =IF((upload!J2-control!J2=0)," ",(upload!J2-control!J2) I would want the formula to adjust to: =IF((upload!K2-control!K2=0)," ",(upload!K2-control!K2) All three sheets (audit, upload, and control) are in the same workbook. Is there a way to make the formulas adjust automatically when a column is deleted or ...

Stacked Line-Column Graph
I was wondering if anyone could help me make a Line-Column Graph that has stacked columns. There are to be 3 data series that are stacked column format and 1 that is line format Thanks Luke Create a stacked column chart from all the data. Right-click on the series that you want as a Line In the shortcut menu, choose Chart Type Select the Line chart type, and one of the subtypes Click OK Jon Peltier has information on creating your own combination charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboChart1.html Lucas Guarino wrote: > I was wondering if anyone could help me make a...

vLookup but choose either of 2 columns
Hi All, I have a scenario where I want to lookup a value in column A but would like to choose either column 4 or 5 from the resultant row in a drop down based on other criteria I know. Is something like that possible? If so is it possible to have a heading on each column to better identify which is which? How would I attempt such a manouver? Cheers Hugh =vlookup(b1,sheet2!a:e,if(a1="asdf",4,5),false) Will look for a match between B1 of sheet2 column A. If A1 = "asdf", then column 4 (D) will be returned. Otherwise, column 5 (E) will be returned. You can make that ...

arrange columns alphabetically in Excel
Hie need help a bit stuck on this pleaaaaaaaaaaase! Im a bit of a dodo, so plese help this dodo out. Select the columns you want to "SORT". Data -> Sort Options -> Sort left to right. Click OK Select the row that you want to sort on. "tellytubbie" wrote: > Hie need help a bit stuck on this pleaaaaaaaaaaase! > Im a bit of a dodo, so plese help this dodo out. ...

Returning row and column headers
I have a spreadsheet that contains soccer player positions for our team. I have the positions layed out in a range that has the field positions as column headers and the period played as the row headers. The names of all the players are filled in for each of the four periods and for each position. I would like to be able to extract from this range, each boys position and period by using a formula. i.e. Jake is playing center forward in the second period. I would like to have a seperate range that has the players name and all 4 periods listed and be able to ectract from the data range, the posi...

Why is my tab key moving my cursor from column A to column k?
In all of my excel worksheets, when I push Tab, my cursor goes straight from Column A to Column K or the next column not shown to the right of the sheet. From there, if I hit Shift-Tab It always goes back to column A, even if that's not where I started out. Please help, it's driving me crazy!!! Turn off Lotus 1-2-3 Transition options Tools, Options, Transition (tab), turn off all transition options --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvp...

How do I set up moving averages in exel

Using arrow keys to move between cells
Hey guys, Sorry for dumb question, but how do I move between cells w/o using my mouse and rather using arrow keys? Do you have use any of shift, alt, ctrl keys at same time? Thanks. If pressing the arrow keys are not moving you between cells, check and see if scroll lock is on on the key board, here is some info from help Arrow keys Move one cell up, down, left, or right. CTRL+arrow key Move to the edge of the current data region. HOME Move to the beginning of the row. CTRL+HOME Move to the beginning of the worksheet. CTRL+END Move to the last cell on the worksheet, in the bottom-most us...

E2K3
We currently have a mixed mode environment with Exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0 and Exchange 2003 on Windows 2000. We have completed the migration of our mailboxes and public folders to E2K3 and are in the process of decommissioning our 5.5 Site. We have a policy setup on our mail stores to send a warning when a user reaches 95MB and to prohibit sending at 100MB. We also have standards in place regarding the storage group/mail store location of our users on the E2K3 servers. The first problem we are experiencing is ESM is reporting a mailbox size that is significantly larger than what Outlook 2002 ...

Move message to folder
How can I get a message that I create from scratch go to a folder (other than "Sent Items") automatically after I send it? Hi. Me again. I don't think the above question was very clear. Let me explain. I can make a rule that will check the message after I send it and move a SINGLE COPY of that message to a certain folder. This is fine if I create the message by typing in the email address from a business card, for example. But if I "reply" to a message I get TWO COPIES of it in the folder because I've also checked the box that says: "In folders other than ...

Modifying the "Required Attendee" lookup columns
Hello, Is there a way to modify which columns appears in the lookup view of the multi-select "Required Attendees" lookup on the Appointemnt? This special windows does not seem to take the usual "account" or "contact" lookup view. Right now it only shows the name and full name of the account or contact. Thanks Hi Fred, Did you happen to get the solution to your query as i am with the same problem and looking for someone to help....:( Thanks, Shashi "Fred Bang" wrote: > Hello, > > Is there a way to modify which columns appears in the...

Deleting/Moving E-Mail Messages
Hi, My company is currently useing MS Office XP, 2000, and 97 (most people are using 97). When some users try to delete or move messages in Outlook (it does not matter which release) they receive a message that it can't be done. I think it may be because they have many messages on the Exchange Server and their account is very large, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any information on how to correct this problem? Users are having a difficult time deleting messages or moving them into another folder. Thanks for any help you can give. ...

Sorting a column by using formula #3
I am trying to use sort function just to delete blank cells in between Sort order doesn't matter actually. Data is coming by the use of simple cell reference of "another sheet -- Prais ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Praise's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1558 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27144 Hi you may use the following addin to filter out blank cells: http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Praise wrote: &g...

ranking numbers in a column
I have 100 (100 rows) with different numbers all in one column. I have ranked them in another column by largest to smallest in the past. The 100 numbers change from time to time. I would like the rankings to automatically update. I wish not to sort. Is there a formula? Thanks, Darryl Try the RANK Function. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Darryl" wrote: > I have 100 (100 rows) with different numbers all in one column. I have > ranked them in another column by largest to smallest in the past. The 100 > numbers change...

Printing column area
I would like to print a column area in repeated pages (not the whole column). Any ideas? It's not totally clear to me what you're asking. But if it is, how do you limit the print area to a specific range, first select the range and then use File, Print Area, Set Print Area. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP Well that is how to print a certain range but what I am asking is that I want a certain part of the column to be repeated in all the pages. By clicking Page Setup/Sheet and ticking the option "columns to repeat at left" it takes the whole column and not a part of it. I just wa...

sort in multiple columns
hi guys, how can i sort lists of names in several columns eg: c3:c15, e3:e15,c18:c31,e18:e31. so that the first names (A...) start in c3 and the last (...Z) end in e31? regards bob Does this mean you have 13+13+14+14=54 names spread over 4 ranges? If yes, I'd add a temporary worksheet, copy those ranges to A1:A54 and sort there. Then copy|Paste the rows back to the 4 areas in that range (if you need to). bob wrote: > > hi guys, > how can i sort lists of names in several columns eg: c3:c15, > e3:e15,c18:c31,e18:e31. so that the first names (A.....

missing columns
Please help, I have an a 11 column spreadsheet, I need to copy this into a powerpoint presentation but when I copy it onto a blank sheet the last 2 columns are not transferred. I tried to copy the blank form and it went ok but after putting text in it does not work. Please explain a cure in simple terms. Thanks in advance PowerPoint has its limitation when it comes to copying an Excel table or chart. Here is a link that will explain a lot better than me. http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00068.htm HTH Gilles Desjardins "greg" <greg@ford .com> wrote in message news:bonmo...

Regarding Sorting Columns
I made a worksheet of a list of books for a classroom library. The first column I named "Title"; the second one- "Author"; the third one "Genre"; ....and so on. Now, once I finished, I clicked the first column (A- "Title"), and then clicked the A to Z function; this sorted all the Titles in alphabetical order, but not any of the other columns. Now, what I then did after undoing this is to highlight all the rows of the columns to the right of "Title", and then clicked the A to Z function, this then put all the Titles in alphabetical or...

Columns to rows #2
I need to take information from a column and put it in a row. Th column for each customer is 8 lines and then repeats itself. I need t know how to get like the information from all line 1's into the sam column -- MileHig ----------------------------------------------------------------------- MileHigh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=503 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26934 Not sure I see the scenario exactly but look into (A) Copy followed by Edit|Paste Special->Transpose, OR (B) the TRANSPOSE functi...

Copy column header to next column, delete & delete every nth colum
Well SNPid Call SamID Well SNPid Call SamID Well SNPid Call SamID A01 rs10090154 C 1 A01 rs1016343 C 1 A01 rs10486567 AG 1 A02 rs10090154 C 2 A02 rs1016343 TC 2 A02 rs10486567 AG 2 A03 rs10090154 C 3 A03 rs1016343 TC 3 A03 rs10486567 G 3 Hi, My workflow was dramatically streamlined thanks to a previous question posted and the generous reply and help of members here. I have another step in my data-cleanup that requires reformatting my excel table and I would be very appreciative if I can get some help. I myself do not have the Visual Basic abilities to do this. Here is the table structur...

Flipping column and row headings
Hello, I need to flip the column and row headings. Is this possible? Thanks, Steve Sorry...I found my answer. Steve seve wrote: > Hello, > > I need to flip the column and row headings. > > Is this possible? > > Thanks, > > Steve ...

excels 2007 columns run right to left
i have a problem, the columns in my excel blank template run right-left...i have tried everything but they all result in changing the direction of the text within the cells but not the direction of columns.......i need help urgently, have a project coming up and am running out of time.i have attached a screen from the worksheet. thnaks +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: Untitled.jpg | |Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=10880| +---------------------------------...

column and rows meet
Aviation chart for takeoff field length. I have 2 columns and 1 row. 1st column are elevations. Sea level to 14,000 ft in 1000's of ft. (Sea level, 1000,2000, etc.) 2nd column are weights . 14,000 to 21,000 lbs in 1000's of lbs (14,000, 15,000, etc) first row across the top are temperatures. -40C to 50C in 10c increments (-40, -30, etc). I will have cells labeled Elevation, WT, and Temp which will be manually inputed (keyboard). end result will be distance required for takeoff. Below is a fraction of the actual table. ALT / FT WT / LB �C -40 -30 14000 2800 2900 15000 2840 2940 1...