Linked graphics into a Publisher 2000 document

I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert two
JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I figure
the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result? An
11MB file.

I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead
insert the images using the "Link to File" option.
Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked into
the file. The size should not be more than 500KB. Result?
An 11MB file.

Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher 2000
documentr without the file blowing up? And why does it
blow up?

Regards,

Richard.

0
rfmayebo (3)

Richard wrote:
> I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert two
> JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I figure
> the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result? An
> 11MB file.
>
> I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead
> insert the images using the "Link to File" option.
> Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked into
> the file. The size should not be more than 500KB. Result?
> An 11MB file.
>
> Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher 2000
> documentr without the file blowing up? And why does it
> blow up?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard.

This is an FAQ really - the simple answer is that you can't. For a more
detailed explanation, see www.mvps.org/publisher/faq.html then 'Pictures,
Objects and Imaging'. Then "Why are my pictures inserted at the wrong size?"
The best solution is to upgrade to 2002 or 2003 (yet to be released) - 2003
completely eliminates this problem.

--
Perdita X. Dream

Please help us to help you
http://groups.google.com
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Please note that the reply address is fake.
Keep all posts to the groups as private requests for assistance
(i.e. email/IM) cannot be acknowledged. Thank you.

0
perditax1 (68)
8/17/2003 9:58:58 AM
Thanks Perdita - rather disheartening!

0
rfmayebo (3)
8/23/2003 10:37:58 AM
Thanks Ed.
reads a message
>from Richard <rfmayebo@bou.or.ug>...
>> I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert
two
>> JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I
figure
>> the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result?
An
>> 11MB file.
>This is as expected.  Publisher 2000 and below store
their images as
>uncompressed bitmaps - and any images that are inserted
pre-compressed are
>automatically decompressed and stored as bitmaps.  As
there is a lot of
>compression in JPG files, the filesize will increase
dramatically when using
>them.
>
>> I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead
>> insert the images using the "Link to File" option.
>> Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked
into
>> the file. The size should not be more than 500KB.
Result?
>> An 11MB file.
>This is as expected.  Publisher stores a copy of the
linked image in the
>file, so it is not lost from the publication if the
original is deleted.

>> Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher
2000
>> documentr without the file blowing up?
>You can't.
>This improves progressively with Publisher 2002 and 2003
(which keep any
>compression already applied to an image, or store it as a
compressed PNG -
>whichever reduces the filesize furthese)
>
>--
>Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
>http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
>Before reading this message, view the disclaimer:
>http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm
>

>.

0
rfmayebo (3)

how do i password protect a microsoft publisher document
I want to password protect my resume I perpared in Microsoft Publisher. Are there any tool in publisher that would allow me to do this? I love Publisher however I would never recommend a resume in Publisher format. Most places will not be able to read it. I'm looking for a job now myself and I have yet to see an employee that says they will accept a .pub file. All I see are requests for .doc or .txt files. Anything else is useless to them. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "fffinga" <fffinga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E22BE2D0-940...

Linking Excel Workbooks
I'm linking data from several workbooks into one master workbook. Most of the fields are linking correctly. However, 1 specific field in the master workbook linking displays "#N/A" While I keep the master book open and bring up the other corresponding file in question....The master books field updates correctly. Once the file closes the master book's field goes back to the "#N/A" It's very nerve racking. The field that this happens with is a work schedule (Ex. 7:00pm-3:30pm) "Lee Holder" <durward.holder.jr@citicorp.com> wrote in message news:...

Publisher Merge
Can I merge photos into a publisher merge document? Read this article, the catalog merge is valid in Publisher 2003-07 Catalog merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH010504381033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Rodster" <Rodster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07F03FDA-9365-45EC-B17C-EB6641052CB2@microsoft.com... > Can I merge photos into a publisher merge document? Publisher 2007? Yes. Click F1 key, search on merge, Click on Insert merge fields into a merge ...

Access linked data
Hiya, I have a database/s ( I never made them) that gets updated by an admin weekly. I need to copy this to a PC that is on a boat and for the boat staff to access it. Basically it is two db's a front and backend, the backend residing on the server, when I copy both db's to the boat pc (no network connectivity) and open db (a) it tries to go looking for db (b) on the server and halts...I need it to look at db (b) I have copied into the same folder. I can use the linked table manager to get it to look in the right place ok but I would prefer if it would automagically look in th...

Inserting PDFs into Publisher File
I can't insert PDF's into my publisher newsletter by trying the insert command. I have to copy it and then past and it loses some quality. Anyone know how to get around this insertion problem? Thanks Greg Save the .pdf as another format and then insert it. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "gporell@southshoresenior.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11af01c50a30$d6c8d0c0$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I can't insert PDF's into my publisher newsletter by > trying the insert command. I have to copy it and then > pas...

Spreadsheet only links to others when they are open
Hi All, I lost my earleir thread on this q (damn outlook express) before getting a reply, so apologies for re - posting. I have a spreadsheet (calcs) linked to two others that feed it data. If the two 'data feeders' are not open, calcs displays #value errors for all linked cells. This is after I have selected 'automatically update during opening of calcs. Can anyone help identify why this is and how I might change it ? Thanks, Neil There are some functions that don't work with closed workbooks. =sumif(), =indirect() What formula did you use in your links? Neil wr...

AutoSave with Excel 2000
In Excel 2000. The user wants to have autosave enabled. What can be done so that Autosave still works, but he is not prompted to save changes Thanks open the VB editor, view object browser, select 'workbook' and then before close in this sub, place the following code: ThisWorkbook.Save ThisWorkbook.Saved = True is that what you wanted? or were you looking for this to apply to the application as a whole? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Publisher 2000
Hi, I wonder whether anyone can help me please. I am using Publisher 2000 and have created a speech bubble from the Custom Tools, I then want to add some text into this speech bubble, so have added a text frame and moved it on top of the speech bubble and made it transparent. My problem is that I want the text to fit within the shape of the speech bubble, rather than the left aligned text within the text frame. Not sure if this is clear enough, but I want all of the text to fit within the speech bubble shape. I have searched everywhere and can find nothing that helps. Have you tried ...

Windows 2000 Professional / Microsoft Outlook
We have 5 computers in our office. On my computer, I log into all 5 accounts, and while typing e-mails on Outlook, the Enter Network Password window keeps popping up -- for all accounts and sometimes just for one account. By popping up, I mean constantly. As soon as I click OK, it pops up again -- whether the same one or a different one. Does anyone know how to eliminate this problem? With this window popping up, it creates typos on my part because as I'm typing an e-mail, I end up typing a word in the password field and messing up that account. I then have to go into Yahoo...

Linked lists defaults
I have a form which displays a single record depending on the selections made in two lists. I.e. The selection of a Group from PickGroup will limit the companies displayed in PickCompany. The selection of a Company from PickCompany will cause the form to display the details of that company. On selection of a Group the correct Companies are displayed in PickCompany and I have got it to highlight the first Company using Private Sub PickRecipientGroup_AfterUpdate() Me.PickCompany.Requery Me.PickCompany = Me.PickCompany.Column(0, 0) How do I get the form to display the detai...

Outlook Client with NT Computer(NT 4.0 and 2000 Pro) Can't connect to server.
I have problem with Client to connect to Exchange 2000 Server. Clients with Window 98 and 2000 pro work within the same subnet, and a few with NT and 2000 Pro don't work with the different subnets, even though Outlook Web Access is working fine and network access is working properly. I figured that this is not network problem because by using UNC, Client computer can see Server computer and access to it. It is not the Account problem either. I also used an admin account. I still can't connect. It is too unprofessional to blame microsoft for this, but Microsoft didn't have ...

input scanned documents in access 2003
greetings...i need help..does any1 knows how can i automatically input a scanned a document, store & retrieve it (view it for later purposes) in just 1 click on a command button in ms access 2003? for example, i have a database records of all employee in our company & each employee has a particular training or seminar certificates. i want to scan the certificates & store it in his files in my database & sometimes view or retrieve it for employees needs. can it be possible? tnx in adance. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forum...

All E-main links "not responding"
I have been using Outlook 2003 for some time. No problems. All of a sudden, today, when I click on a link in a received email, I receive an hourglass and then after a few seconds, "not responding" and I must ctrl-alt-del and mark the email, the link and outlook to "end task" in the "task manager." After several "end task" tries, the program ends and I am back to my home page. I can not connect to ANY links from Outlook. I talked with ISP (Windstream.net) (DSL) and when I connected to my email at their web site, the link worked. HELP! H...

Cell Ref
Good Afternoon, I have a macro that is writing from one workbook to another. After it has finished opening and writing it's initial data, it calls this macro and writes a special cell value to the front page. Though this works fine, I want it to be a cell reference (linked value) vs. static. Ive tried a couple ways unsuccessfully and was wondering if you might have some ideas on how to accomplish this. Thank you - Roger Sub WritetoMainPage() Dim irow As Long Dim ws As Worksheet Set ws = Worksheets("Sheet1") irow = ws.Cells(1, 12) _ .End(xlDown).Offset(1, 0).Row ws....

CRM needs to allow attachments and links in KB Articles
in addition to the search capabilities for knowledgebase articles, it would be nice to be able to place related topics links in the articles themselves. Also, I would like to be able to introduce a topic/solution and then attach a document, in PDF most likely, that gives the full (often 10-20 pages long, with graphics) description. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to ...

How do I update Pub 2000?
I installed pub 2000 on a new computer. How do I update 2000 so I can receive, open and work on documents created by newer versions of publisher? muchas gracias, Kate P You can't... The only way you can edit a Publisher file from someone else, is if that someone saved the file as a Publisher 2000 document. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Kate P" <KateP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42360DA0-2E03-47DB-B1E9-C2A4348E7919@microsoft.com... >I installed pub 2000 on a new compute...

Indexing outlook 2000 mail with google desktop fails
Hello, I try to index outlook 2000 mail with google desktop search engine without success. My system: XP SP1. I have both outlook express and outlook 2000 installed, outlook 2000 is my default mail program. I tried all solutions recommended by google: 1)Outlook is opened during initial and further search. 2)add-in for Desktop Search: I am unable to display 'Google Desktop Search Outlook Addin.' item as requested when applying the recommended procedure: ..Open Outlook. ..Go to 'Tools' > 'Options' > 'Other' > 'Advanced Options...' > 'Add-I...

Resetting Junk E-Mail flag in Outlook 2000
I've been trying to do something about the spam in my wife's WinME Outlook 2000 SR1. I set up rules and edited the FILTERS.TXT as instructed. In the course of doing that I made things too restrictive at first and have begun adding things into the Exceptions list. This all works great. Unfortunately, some important emails are already tagged with the Junk E-Mail flag by my initial efforts. How can I reset the junk flag to off on those mails which aren't truly junk? Jay Hollingsworth <Jay Hollingsworth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I've been trying to do som...

linking to other workbooks
1) When linking to an external workbook, my references are always absolute. Is there a way to default to a relative reference, or do I need to resign myself to deleting the $ or using F4 2) What is the max number of links to a specific external workbook? After a short time, I am unable to link and am forced to manually type in the path Thanks. ...

Document stuck in Outlook -- too large to send
After working hard to reduce the size of a PowerPoint document from 59MB to 4KB, what do you think I did--I accidentally sent the 59MB doc. Now it's stuck in my Outlook outbox and will not budge no matter what I do or how I try to delete it. Any other mail I try to send won't go through either. Do you have any suggestions as to how to purge this document from my outbox? Thanks so much. File->Work Offline. Ensure Outlook is completely closed. Open Outlook, = delete from the outbox, check File->Uncheck Work Offline. Close and = reopen Outlook. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP ...

Publisher 2003 #18
I just installed Publisher 2003 on a new computer. Having done so, the program will not open files either old publisher files or newly created ones? This is very frustrating. Any ideas? Microsoft needs to provide assistance and NOT CHARGE for help. This is a new product and it doesnt seem to work. Do you have Norton? Disable script blocking, if that doesn't solve the problem, in Norton, options, disable Office Plug ins as well. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "ON" <anonymous@discussions.microsof...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000 upgrade and x.400 connector
I'm about to run an in-place upgrade of Exchange 5.5 Enterprise Server to Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server, and would like to clean up/streamline the Exchange 5.5 configuration/stores before starting the in-place upgrade. I have already uninstalled the CCMAIL and MSMAIL connectors on my production 5.5 server, and have the option of also un-installing the X.400 connector. Are there any implications of doing this? Does Exchange 2000 Server require the X.400 connector for routing? I'm running single site, single server. Thanks in advance for your help. -Hung Tran You can go ahead &am...

Print error in outlook 2000 on windows 98SE
When i try to print i get this error : "OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module RPCRT4.DLL". I have done SFC but it did not help. Thanks. Hello, Make sure you have both the latest WIndows service pack, and the latest Office service pack by visiting the following two sites. http://www,windowsupdate.com http://office.microsoft.com Also, is it all e-mails you can not print, or only specific ones? Try printing through Microsoft Word, or Excel and see if they work. Best Regards, Ryan M. Keith, BSCSE, MCSE Microsoft Enterprise Messaging Support Client Server Infrastructur...

Linking to items in a public folder
Is it possible to create a shortcut link to an item in a public folder? For example if a custom form is stored in a public folder can a shortcut be placed on the menu bar. For other shortcuts we have a button which has a http link to a folder on the local machine. Is it possible to reference items in public folders this way? Noel On Jun 29, 11:23 am, "Noel Hennessy" <henne...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to create a shortcut link to an item in a public folder? > > For example if a custom form is stored in a public folder can a shortcut be > placed o...

3 linked combo boxes in a form Options
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, the option you suggested did not produce the desired result. Perhaps if I explain further what I am trying to do, you can offer some alternatives. Shopcbo based on Shopqry based on Shoptbl. Columns in the table are ShopName and ShopID. The shop same is self explanatory. The shop ID is a field a created to match up with a field in the equipment table. Areacbo based on Areaqry based on Areatbl. Columns in the table are AreaName, AreaLink and ShopName. The area link is a field created to identify each area that a piece of equipment belongs to...