Linked graphics into a Publisher 2000 document

I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert two
JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I figure
the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result? An
11MB file.

I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead
insert the images using the "Link to File" option.
Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked into
the file. The size should not be more than 500KB. Result?
An 11MB file.

Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher 2000
documentr without the file blowing up? And why does it
blow up?

Regards,

Richard.

0
rfmayebo (3)

Richard wrote:
> I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert two
> JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I figure
> the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result? An
> 11MB file.
>
> I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead
> insert the images using the "Link to File" option.
> Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked into
> the file. The size should not be more than 500KB. Result?
> An 11MB file.
>
> Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher 2000
> documentr without the file blowing up? And why does it
> blow up?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard.

This is an FAQ really - the simple answer is that you can't. For a more
detailed explanation, see www.mvps.org/publisher/faq.html then 'Pictures,
Objects and Imaging'. Then "Why are my pictures inserted at the wrong size?"
The best solution is to upgrade to 2002 or 2003 (yet to be released) - 2003
completely eliminates this problem.

--
Perdita X. Dream

Please help us to help you
http://groups.google.com
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Please note that the reply address is fake.
Keep all posts to the groups as private requests for assistance
(i.e. email/IM) cannot be acknowledged. Thank you.

0
perditax1 (68)
8/17/2003 9:58:58 AM
Thanks Perdita - rather disheartening!

0
rfmayebo (3)
8/23/2003 10:37:58 AM
Thanks Ed.
reads a message
>from Richard <rfmayebo@bou.or.ug>...
>> I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert
two
>> JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I
figure
>> the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result?
An
>> 11MB file.
>This is as expected.  Publisher 2000 and below store
their images as
>uncompressed bitmaps - and any images that are inserted
pre-compressed are
>automatically decompressed and stored as bitmaps.  As
there is a lot of
>compression in JPG files, the filesize will increase
dramatically when using
>them.
>
>> I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead
>> insert the images using the "Link to File" option.
>> Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked
into
>> the file. The size should not be more than 500KB.
Result?
>> An 11MB file.
>This is as expected.  Publisher stores a copy of the
linked image in the
>file, so it is not lost from the publication if the
original is deleted.

>> Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher
2000
>> documentr without the file blowing up?
>You can't.
>This improves progressively with Publisher 2002 and 2003
(which keep any
>compression already applied to an image, or store it as a
compressed PNG -
>whichever reduces the filesize furthese)
>
>--
>Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
>http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
>Before reading this message, view the disclaimer:
>http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm
>

>.

0
rfmayebo (3)

Size of html document when saved as web page
Hello, I use excel and front page. Customers will send me a document in excel, then I will use their form to save as a webpage. The form is the output I use for their application. In excel you can make the print out put fit on a page using the excel print view functions. How can I change the excel formatting so it saves in html to print the size of page I want it? Thanks, Dave ...

Publisher 2000 will not insert .JPG files
I have just installed Publisher for the first time - from an old copy of Office 2000 that I have had for many years. The first thing I want to do is to insert one of my own JPEG images into a new frame. Every time I try this, I get an error message that Publisher either does not recognise the file-type or cannot find the correct graphics converter. Clearly it does recognise JPEGs as they are specified in the Open window. So it must be missing a JPEG-? converter. I have tried all the [re-]installation options several times, including starting from scratch with the default installation;...

How do I relate data of one document to another ?
When I imput additional information on a word document I would like that information transfered to an excel document, Likewise if I input data in an excel document I would like to have it transfered to a word document. How do I do it ? I don't think you can have the same link work both directions but you can copy and paste as link and when the source is updated (probably the excel file since I don't see the point of having Word as a source in Excel) the link will be updated as well -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "bandi" <bandi@discussions....

Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2003
I have a user that delegates another users calendar, things were fine until the delegate was upgraded to Outlook 2003, is there a problem with these two applications outlook 2000 and outlook 2003. "I can\'t view my Calendar when my delegate is in it, and vice versa. When I am in Calendar she can\'t view an appointments in my Calendar. Apparently she recently upgraded her Outlook Version. We are now on different version. ...

Add to current table when updating CSV-linked table
I have two tables that are linked tables from two CSV files. These two tables get merged into one via a union query, a few fields are added and eventually a main table of all the records is created with an auto- numbered primary key. The data from the two CSV files comes in daily and I would like to add the data from each day to the end of the main table with the primary key when I update rather than have all the records replaced. Ideally the new records would be added to the end so that the auto-number can still sort it all uniquely. How could I do this? Regards, Tom by using a insert que...

opening Home Pub 2000 files in 2007
I recently used Windows easy transfer in Vista to import Home Pub 2000 files from an older computer with XP. New files created in Pub 2007 open and function fine, but when I open transferred .php files from Pub 2000 it tries to open them with MSWord and I get gibberish. Getting frustrated. Is there an easy answer. Thanks BarbraJean wrote: > I recently used Windows easy transfer in Vista to import Home Pub > 2000 files from an older computer with XP. New files created in Pub > 2007 open and function fine, but when I open transferred .php files > from Pub 2000 it tries to open t...

MOP/SOP Link
I am doing some testing scenarios on the MOP/SOP Link window and am coming up with some odd numbers. We do not have our MO's automatically created, we manually create them after regen. but we would like to link SO to them, so I create a sales order, run regen., take the MRP suggestion from the MRP Pegging window to create an MO and turn it into an Open MO. When i go to the MOP/SOP link window i see the Sales Order and the MO i created and i create the link between the 2. But, in the Actual Demand field nothing appears. I run another regen and still nothing. I look at the MO ent...

Breaking automatic link among Office Apps for User Information
Hi: Ref: Office 2004 w/ update 11.2.3 I find that changing user information in Entourage automatically changes user information in MS Word. I need to break that link. I need a different user information for MS Word (for example) and another one for MS Entourage. Can someone point out how to do this? Thanks In article <1142638699.397871.141530@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, "Rodizurieta" <rodrigo@izurieta.com> wrote: > Hi: > > Ref: Office 2004 w/ update 11.2.3 > > I find that changing user information in Entourage automatically > changes user ...

Paste Link Function
Is there a way to be able to copy the paste link function where the cell below automatically increments the cell number? (I.e. "=Monthly!$A$27" copy to cell below "=Monthly!$A$28") Thanks! Naive, If you mean you're copying that formula, take out the $ signs. That makes it a relative cell reference, not absolute as it now is. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "naiveprogrammer" <naiveprogrammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F603E98-21D2-42C7-9B94-89D203431164@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to be able to copy the past...

Removing links to other worksheets from within a workbook
I have developed a 400-worksheet workbook and during its evolution I have copied some cells from other worksheets. This has created references to other worksheets that no longer exist, so whenever I open the workbook I get the annoying messages relating to "links not found". I am using Excel 2002. When I select Edit/Links then it shows the offending 4 non-existent spreadsheets but I cannot locate the cells that reference them. When I use the Edit/Find and select Options/Within-Workbook to try to locate the spreadsheet references to these non-existent spreadsheets, no cell refe...

Public Folder link question
Running Exchange 5.5 My department has created an intranet web page for the user community to view. We have a team Calendar in Public Folders that is shared out for everyone in the community to view. How can I provide a link on a web page to a public folder? I do not want to have to just provide a path for them to navigate to. I would like for them to be able to simply click on a link that will either: 1. Launch Outlook and open the public folder location automatically or 2. Lauch a web browser that will display the calendar information. Can anyone assist or provide a KB ar...

saving individual publisher pages outside publisher
I want to copy individual pages from a file in publisher to a file (word or email), outside of publisher. What do you want to do with those pages? Have you tried .pdf files? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "jacksprat" <jacksprat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A12C250-CCF8-482A-A312-1D7B14A075AC@microsoft.com... >I want to copy individual pages from a file in publisher to a file (word or > email), outside of publisher. ...

How to include a .obj file when linking in IDE of visual studio 2005?
For example, I have generated a .obj file named as ``aaa.obj'', and I am editing a source file named as ``bbb.cpp'', then how can I link aaa.obj into the .exe file generated from bbb.cpp? Thanks. What version of VS are you using? In 7.1 add aaa.obj to Project Properties:Linker:Input:Additional Dependencies If it's in a different directory than the project, add the path to aaa.obj to Project Properties:Linker:General:Additional Library Directories Or you can just include the path as part of the file name in the Linker:Input entry and you won't have to add the ent...

Outlook 2000 Application Failure Event ID 1000
I'm running Windows XP and recently started receiving the following message when starting Outlook. The main Outlook window appear, folders and such are shown, the application takes a long time, then the error message pops up. Safe mode does not prevent the error. The error message displayed is "Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needed to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Below is the information from the Event Viewer: Event Type: Error Event Source: Application Error Event Category: None Event ID: 1000 Date: 5/28/2010 Time: 8:5...

word Document slow
Why is opening/saving /closing a new document so slow? "Gil" <Gil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD1947DD-8939-42D0-B7BD-8EBE53F1813C@microsoft.com... > Why is opening/saving /closing a new document so slow? http://openoffice.org will solve the problem. M$ Word is for losers. Gil wrote: > Why is opening/saving /closing a new document so slow? Depends on what application you are using to open the file. Depends on which version of Windows. Depends if the file is local or on a network resource. Depends on your network speed (local or...

Excel - 2000 or 97 conversion
Sorry, right, let me try an clear it up. Situation is: At the moment a user can click on a data validated cell and a dropdow list appears. There are three options, which all bring up a selectio of different cells. (Change event). The selections then contain mor data validated cells. This works fine in excel 2000+ but obviously, no 97. I need to find a way of making this possible. I have tried debr dalgleish's example, but can't get the cells to work. Hope thats helps Andre -- ajw15 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ajw150's Profile: http...

Linking cells to MS Project cells
I have an Excel file with cells linked to MS Project cells. There are several MS Project source files involved. When first created all the Excel links worked as expected. Upon reopening the Excel file some cells update properly and others display #NAME?. Does anyone know why and is there a way to fix this? To make matters a bit more confusing I have seen(on rare occasion)upon reopening the Excel file some cells previously displaying the #NAME? value displaying appropriate linked data correctly. ...

I want external HD link to library--HOW?
Songs are backed on external HD. I clicked on advanced options in ADD TO LIBRARY, for FOLDERS TO MONITOR for media files. Added the link to my external...so that MONITORED FOLDERS now supposedly have my songs as E:\NewMUSIC... along with the "automatically added" material from my C drive. HOWEVER--- the player can't find material from either source! WHY? and how to FIX this? thanks. What version of WMP and Windows? If you go to Add to Library again, is the folder you previously added still in the list? If you click OK there and let the process complete, does t...

Excel 2000 Crashes
I can open excel spreadsheets no problem. As soon as I try to change the font, or the font size, it crashes. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Try changing to a different printer driver to see if that helps. Or maybe a different video driver???? Jeremy Ricketts wrote: > > I can open excel spreadsheets no problem. As soon as I try to change the > font, or the font size, it crashes. Anyone have any ideas? > > Thanks -- Dave Peterson It happens with any sort of formatting. Bold, change fonts, conditional formatting. I will try new drivers. Thanks "Dave Peterson&quo...

Exchange 2000 Postmaster account
I have Exchange 2000 installed and the administrator account has the email address postmaster@"domain". I would like to remove that address and assign it to another user account. Unfortunately I am unable to remove it from the administrator, but can view it. The administrator doesnt have an exchange mailbox. I have read that the admin doesnt have a mailbox for security reasons but that doesnt help me move that address. Any ideas ? ...

Mail Merge from Outlook opens up two MS Word documents.
Hi, I am using Office 2003. When I do mail merge from Outlook, it opens up two MS WORD documents instead of one. Any suggestions please ? Regards, Mo Sounds normal to me, depending on how you're doing the merge. But then you never said how you were doing the merge, so no one can say. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <mfaisald@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1152120215.964643.238870@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I am using Office 2003. When I do mail merge from Outlook, it opens up > two MS WORD documents instead of one. > Any suggestions please ? > >...

Plot area changed after reopen document
Hy, I have problem with unstable format of charts in an Excel 2007 spreadsheet (under Windows XP). When I re-open a spreadsheet, the plot area is usually contracted to a much smaller portion of the total chart area, leaving lots of white space around the edges. This happens repeatedly with some, but not all, of the charts in my spreadsheet. Some are x-y plots, some are combination line, bar plots. Is there any way to keep the size of the plot area from changing? Thank you for help. ...

How to link to an image?
I use Publisher 2003. I would like to be able to add a reference to an image file. I want to be able to size it and have it stay that way. If I change the image outside Publisher I want the change to be refleced in Publisher. This makes sense if you have lots of images that change frequently as you design your document. I embedded an image and it looked and printed great. Once I changed it to "save as linked," the quality of the image was completely destroyed. It has a high dpi, but it still looks blurry, nothing at all like the original embedded image. Also, I edited...

Links Mysteiously Disabled
I use Outlook 2003. All of sudden links are being blocked and I'm being asked to "click here to enable links" How do I permanently shut this off. I can't find it under the security settings. -- Warmest regards, Steve This is the new antiphishing feature of SP2. Drag items from the junk folder to the inbox to make them clickable or click on the infobar to enable them in other folders. To disable this feature, look on tools, options, junk email and remove the check from the option to disable links. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 ...

Why was "data source" link added?
I did not add any links. Yet suddenly, I started getting messages about a data source link. The link was to ATPVBAEN.XLA. I use a lot of XIRR functions but never before had the link. I broke the link and there does not seem to be any ill effect. What could have caused the link to be added? "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message news:ehE4h6FvIHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I did not add any links. > Yet suddenly, I started getting messages about a data source link. > > The link was to ATPVBAEN.XLA. > I use a lot of XIRR functions but neve...