Line spacing seems to change when I "preview" web page

I have created my web page in Publisher and lined everything up exactly as I
want it to display. I have text boxes surrounding pictures, etc. As soon as I
preview the web site, the line spacing seems to decrease almost by half and
my previously aligned paragraphs are now out of alignment with my pictures.
It doesn't matter if I'm using a single text box or connected text boxes -
the result is the same every time. How do I get Publisher to keep the line
spacing in tact when converting it to a web page?
0
dsurrett (2)

Using tables wherever possible might help  but if you can change to FrontPage
or some other web creation software you would do far better. Not a real
solution I know but long term it will stop you going crazy.

"dsurrett" wrote:

> I have created my web page in Publisher and lined everything up exactly as I
> want it to display. I have text boxes surrounding pictures, etc. As soon as I
> preview the web site, the line spacing seems to decrease almost by half and
> my previously aligned paragraphs are now out of alignment with my pictures.
> It doesn't matter if I'm using a single text box or connected text boxes -
> the result is the same every time. How do I get Publisher to keep the line
> spacing in tact when converting it to a web page?
0
roller (4)
7/13/2007 2:08:07 PM
Ok, thanks.

Sounds like I may be better off using Frontpage or some other design tool,
as recommended by the previous post. I really don't want to give up my fonts
or pictures for the sake of getting them to convert correctly. Thanks for the
info.

"DavidF" wrote:

> The problems you are encountering are most likely because Publisher cannot
> convert some print formatting to html. For example, you cannot use word wrap
> around an image in Pub 2002 - 2007 in a web page (it worked in Pub 2000).
> Also, if you are using a non-web friendly font, it will either be converted
> to a web font, or to an image. Generally you should only use font size and
> color formatting in any text box, and no paragraph formatting. Sometimes
> overlapping design elements change the appearance of those elements when
> converted to html, or may convert to an image. Bottom line, web documents
> are a different media than print documents, and you will just have to
> experiment with what will convert to html and what won't. Perhaps pull the
> different design elements off into the scratch area and add back one at a
> time, doing a web page preview each time, to discover what will work...what
> won't.
>
> In the future, please post web questions in the web group:
> microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign
>
> DavidF
>
> "dsurrett" <dsurrett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have created my web page in Publisher and lined everything up exactly as
> > want it to display. I have text boxes surrounding pictures, etc. As soon
> > as I
> > preview the web site, the line spacing seems to decrease almost by half
> > and
> > my previously aligned paragraphs are now out of alignment with my
> > pictures.
> > It doesn't matter if I'm using a single text box or connected text boxes -
> > the result is the same every time. How do I get Publisher to keep the line
> > spacing in tact when converting it to a web page?

0
dsurrett (2)
7/13/2007 3:00:02 PM
The problems you are encountering are most likely because Publisher cannot
convert some print formatting to html. For example, you cannot use word wrap
around an image in Pub 2002 - 2007 in a web page (it worked in Pub 2000).
Also, if you are using a non-web friendly font, it will either be converted
to a web font, or to an image. Generally you should only use font size and
color formatting in any text box, and no paragraph formatting. Sometimes
overlapping design elements change the appearance of those elements when
converted to html, or may convert to an image. Bottom line, web documents
are a different media than print documents, and you will just have to
experiment with what will convert to html and what won't. Perhaps pull the
different design elements off into the scratch area and add back one at a
time, doing a web page preview each time, to discover what will work...what
won't.

In the future, please post web questions in the web group:
microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign

DavidF

"dsurrett" <dsurrett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have created my web page in Publisher and lined everything up exactly as
> want it to display. I have text boxes surrounding pictures, etc. As soon
> as I
> preview the web site, the line spacing seems to decrease almost by half
> and
> my previously aligned paragraphs are now out of alignment with my
> pictures.
> It doesn't matter if I'm using a single text box or connected text boxes -
> the result is the same every time. How do I get Publisher to keep the line
> spacing in tact when converting it to a web page?

0
Nope8657 (939)
7/13/2007 3:32:46 PM
Doesn't matter what you use, the web only supports a limited number of fonts
(Google: web safe fonts). So unless your viewers have your fancy fonts
installed on their machines the will see defaulted fonts instead. Unless you
convert your fonts to images - and that's only recommended for limited use;
like small headings. And, since search engines don't read images you'd want
to keep that to a minimum.

--

Rob Giordano
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

| Ok, thanks.
|
| Sounds like I may be better off using Frontpage or some other design tool,
| as recommended by the previous post. I really don't want to give up my
fonts
| or pictures for the sake of getting them to convert correctly. Thanks for
the
| info.
|
| "DavidF" wrote:
|
| > The problems you are encountering are most likely because Publisher
cannot
| > convert some print formatting to html. For example, you cannot use word
wrap
| > around an image in Pub 2002 - 2007 in a web page (it worked in Pub
2000).
| > Also, if you are using a non-web friendly font, it will either be
converted
| > to a web font, or to an image. Generally you should only use font size
and
| > color formatting in any text box, and no paragraph formatting. Sometimes
| > overlapping design elements change the appearance of those elements when
| > converted to html, or may convert to an image. Bottom line, web
documents
| > are a different media than print documents, and you will just have to
| > experiment with what will convert to html and what won't. Perhaps pull
the
| > different design elements off into the scratch area and add back one at
| > time, doing a web page preview each time, to discover what will
work...what
| > won't.
| >
| > In the future, please post web questions in the web group:
| > microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign
| >
| > DavidF
| >
| > "dsurrett" <dsurrett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > >I have created my web page in Publisher and lined everything up exactly
as
| > > want it to display. I have text boxes surrounding pictures, etc. As
soon
| > > as I
| > > preview the web site, the line spacing seems to decrease almost by
half
| > > and
| > > my previously aligned paragraphs are now out of alignment with my
| > > pictures.
| > > It doesn't matter if I'm using a single text box or connected text
boxes -
| > > the result is the same every time. How do I get Publisher to keep the
line
| > > spacing in tact when converting it to a web page?

0
webmaster911 (1600)

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

attachment previewers not installed?

Report Print Preview in Access 2007
Problem is I can set up a report under properties to open in Print Preview as the default, but when I add it to the switchboard, it opens in Report view instead. How can I get it to use Print Preview mode when users open the report? Thank you for your time and assistance. Check the switchboard code. Look at the HandleButtonClick() routine. My switchboard was originally created in an older Access version. That routine contains a Select Case statement to process the various commans. The relevant one in my code reads: ' Open a report. Case conCmdOpenReport ...

Print preview?
How can I see a preview of how my page will look when printed before printing it? Using Excel 2008. Thanks! One Option: Click the Page Layout View button in the lower left corner of the window. You can also go to File> Print, then click the Preview button to preview the document in Apple's Preview app. -- HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac "Rick" <someone@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eDuOY66%23KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > How can I see a preview of how my page will look when printed before > printing it? Using Excel 2008. ...

Preventing HTML graphics from automatically loading in preview pane
I'm wondering if anyone knows how to prevent outlook from automatically loading images in the preview pane. A lot of spammer's deliberately include html graphics in their messages. The URL for a particular image in the message is unique to the user it is sent to. When outlook displays such an image in the preview pane, it is essentially telling the spammer "Hey there spammer, here's a confirmation that I, <insert your e-mail address here> got your junk mail." Such confirmations tend to increase the quantity of junk mail a user receives. Even webmail client...

Print Preview in Publisher 2007 only displays in Greyscale
Is anybody running Publisher 2007 on Win XP Pro and getting print preview only in greyscale? I am also running on Vista on another machine and I am able to toggle between greyscale and color display. On my machine running XP I am unable to toggle between greyscale and color. Everything shows in greyscale and it is annoying. I presume it is a software bug. Chris Smith - London wrote: > Is anybody running Publisher 2007 on Win XP Pro and getting print preview > only in greyscale? I am also running on Vista on another machine and I am > able to toggle between greyscale and co...

Question on previewing reports
I have a location table with four locations, I've setup a report to print by location, the code do a loop through the location table and prints a separate for each location. When I set it up to do a preview instead of printing I only get the first report Here's the code I'm using. stdsql = "Select * from location" Set rsloc = db.OpenRecordset(stdsql) Do While Not rsloc.EOF VLocName = rsloc("locname") vlocnum = rsloc("locnum") stLinkCriteria = "[Supplierid]=" & "" & Me![cmbSupSel] &...

Print Preview in Excel
We have office 2000 for small business. we have a peer to peer on 3 systems all sharing one printer. However, the computer with windows xp and office 2000 for small business won't print preview when the network printer, on the other system is off. I've updated office for small business and it still doesn't work. If anyone can assit me with this, it would be most helpful. I am at wits end over this. The other computer with the hp laserjet III is working on windows 98 with office 2000 as well, with not problems. It just seems to be this new computer that has the issue...

Print Preview Protected Embedded Chart?
Excel 2000 ... I have protected Tab Sheets with appropiate cells unlocked. These same sheets have embedded charts. I wish no changes to the data or charts other than where I have unlocked cells. I want capability to Print Preview chart without allowing any other changes to take place. Above said ... I can unlock the object (the chart), but this appears to allow the chart to be changed when sheet is protected. I just want cabability to Print Preview Chart without allowing any other changes to take place. Is there a way? ... Thanks ... Kha Hi Ken - I don't think you can d...

Previewing Clip Art Problem
I have Publisher 2002 XP and my I cannot preview clip art. It just shows the files with a note pad looking icon with a small globe in the lower left corner of each file preview. If I double click on one of the files it inserts it into the publication. How do I fix the preview clip art problem. I believe it's only with the online clip art gallery clips. I have cable internet service, so My computer is always online. Thanks in Advance! Your cache is full, in IE, tools, Internet Options, delete files. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.or...

Print Preview cause Excel to crash
Whenever I do a Print Preview, 90% of the time, Excel crashes when I hit the Close button or the Print button (which closes the preview). Typically, if I click Next, the next page appears but with tightly condensed text in the middle of the page. Printing, however, work fine. By "crashing", I mean the mouse turns to an hourglass for about 5 seconds and then I get the message box "Excel for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close...". Excel version 2000. Any ideas? Your circumstances are a bit different, but the following is a quote from Perry Lund who p...

Urgent !!!!!
I tape all data and add the font colour, but when i preview file & print , it can't show the colour, why? Could it be that you are previewing a print for a black-and-white printer? Kind regards, Marcel Kreijne Quandan - Steunpunt voor spreadsheetgebruikers (Quandan - dutch supportsite for spreadsheetusers) www.quandan.nl "Eva" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht news:5812EE04-51AB-4AB7-8A80-C9F6994C8B97@microsoft.com... > I tape all data and add the font colour, but when i preview file & print , it can't show the colour, why? See ...

Preview Problems have returned!
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2358880&tstart=0 In this thread the advice was given to remove ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preview.plist I did this and once done MS Entourage 2004 was able to open attached images once again. This worked for a few weeks until recently. I once again tried removing that file, but this time it did not work. It looks like something deeper is going on with Preview and Entourage. I have submitted bug reports to Apple and we shall see if they fix it in their latest OSX release. -- Are there errors in the Bible? How should...

Print Preview Booklet
Hi - we are creating a booklet of about 40 pages. When we preview the booklet, it does odd things with some of the pages - i.e. bits of pictures appear randomly on other pages. However, when we print these pages, they are fine. Is the preview problem because we are previewing on printers that do not do double-sided printing? In normal view, everything is fine. We're concerned that when we send this to the printers some of the graphics will be all over the place. Any help appreciated Thanks I should have mentioned - you only get the odd preview when you preview whilst in &qu...

Attachments + Preview Pane
Using Outlook 03, I have trouble reading the text of emails that contain a large attachment. For some reason, single-clicking the message to appear in the preview pane will cause Outlook to pause until the attachment has been downloaded into the cache (it seems). Naturally, this would also be the case for double clicking the message to appear in a separate window. How I can I prevent Outlook from doing this? All help much appreciated! Thank you in advance. I don't think there's a way to change the behavior "Poor Tom" <nospamplease@nospam.com> wrote in message ne...

Why is Publisher crashing when I select Print Preview?
I've used Print Preview before, but now the whole program closes when I select it. It doesn't make a difference whether I select it on the toolbar or from the dropdown menus. Any thoughts. Go to the manufacturer's web site of your graphics card and look around for an updated driver. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Leah S-W" <Leah S-W@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B027FA0-7425-4CF9-94BE-0CA15A05FF45@microsoft.com... > I've used Print Preview before, but now the ...

"Shrink to Fit" in Print Preview
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have been using Word on the Mac for about 18 months now and I am becoming increasingly frustrated with one recurring problem. I have yet to get anything out of the &quot;Shrink to Fit&quot; button in print preview but &quot;After several attempts Word was unable to shrink your document by 1 page&quot; <br><br>What am I doing wrong? I vaguely remember a setting on older PC versions that let me set what things I would allow the Shrink to Fit to mess with ie: margins, font size, li...

Print Preview in MSVC 7
Hello Is there a way how to display a normal classic print preview (as with MSVC 6) with MSVC 7? A print preview that takes the entire window, and without all that toolbars that MUST NOT be there as they are not related with printing at all. This is the main obstacle in moving from version 6 to 7. My customers would never understand such "improvment" and would request to get the normal preview back. Thank you for any advice. Vaclav ...

.ps1 attachment preview with text previewer
How can I get .ps1 files to preview with the built-in text preview handler. I have unblocked the .ps1 attachments so I can see them (in the registry) and I have associated the .ps1 extension with the built-in text previewer but I still get the message "This file cannot be previewed. Try opening the file in the program in which it was created". I am an instructor and I have students send their homework in via e-mail. Often times I like to quickly view the scripts without saving the attachment. This is not a security risk because you can't execute a powershell script dir...

Previewing a booklet
Is there a way to view the booklet layout, using either Publisher 2002 or 2007, before printing? I know that I can view the individual pages in print sequence. Is there a way to "flip through" the booklet from page 1 to 2 to 3, etc.? You could create a new publication, save as a new name, set the booklet to individual pages, you then could flip through them in sequence. On the print preview page there is an icon on the toolbar that allows you to see multiple pages at one time. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "PatJennings" <pfjennings@charter.net> w...

Print preview problem..
Hello! I'm trying to write application with print preview. It's dialog based aplication, but it's using my CViewPrintPreview class based on CView class. I don't know why, but my print preview doesn't work. Aplication crash, when i create my view. Here's code: #if !defined(AFX_VIEWPRINTPREVIEW_H__137FC880_1607_11D3_9317_8F51A5F9742F__INCLUDED_) #define AFX_VIEWPRINTPREVIEW_H__137FC880_1607_11D3_9317_8F51A5F9742F__INCLUDED_ #if _MSC_VER >= 1000 #pragma once #endif // _MSC_VER >= 1000 // ViewPrintPreview.h : header file // #include "afxpriv.h" ///...

PDF Previewer Outlook 2007 and Windows 7
I have a new computer running Win7 and New installation of Outlook with Office 2007. Everything works well except...When i click on an attached PDF to preview I get a message that there is a problem with the PDF viewer for VISTA Does anyone have any ideas on what I may do to correct this? The other previewers for other documents and pictures work fine. rdquick wrote: >I have a new computer running Win7 and New installation of Outlook with >Office 2007. Everything works well except...When i click on an attached PDF >to preview I get a message that there is a problem w...

No thumbnail preview for Word documents, Win 7 x64
Just switched to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a new machine (from Vista x86). I just noticed that I on Windows 7 x64 don't get thumbnail previews for Word (Office 2007) documents in Windows Explorer (as I have been used to on Vista x86). Powerpoint document thumbnails preview as expected. Is this normal? Is it possible to fix this? ...

Outlook Preview Pane and ability a catch viruses
Is there a possibility to catch viruses easily just by having Outlook Preview Pane ? Amila It is possible, yes. Check here to get more info and some good protection tips: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/antivirus.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "Amila Chandrasekera" <amilanc@spss.com> wrote in message news:evCim22uDHA.2060@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Is there a possibility to catch viruses easily just by having Outlook > Preview ...

Previewer error??
Excel 2007 When I have the dialog open to select a file for opening I want to preview the file in the preview pane on the right. No matter which Excel file I have highlighted I get the following error message in the preview pane: "this file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Excel previewer". Suggestions please. Bob ...