Is there a word-count function in Publisher?

I am trying to figure out how many words are in a 2 page article on our
firm's newsletter?  I know there is a word-count function in Word or
WordPerfect, but I'm not familiar with MS Publisher2003...
0
work (14)

Jules@work wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how many words are in a 2 page
> article on our firm's newsletter?  I know there is a
> word-count function in Word or WordPerfect, but I'm not
> familiar with MS Publisher2003...
==============================
You can use Word to count the words in
a Publisher 2003 text box.

Search Pub2003 Help for..."Count"...and
read "Count the words in your publication
with Microsoft Word"

--

            *Notice*
This is not tech support.

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you.

Proceed at your own risk.

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
0
oobie (2069)
8/7/2006 6:53:54 PM
I think you will find that Publisher has no word count facility.. Publisher
treats a text in a box as an object containing text.. that is to say that it
sees an object regardless of the contents.. Word sees text as a contiguous
flow of individual characters..

--
Mike Hall
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Jules@work" <Jules@work@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to figure out how many words are in a 2 page article on our
> firm's newsletter?  I know there is a word-count function in Word or
> WordPerfect, but I'm not familiar with MS Publisher2003...

0
mikehall (45)
8/7/2006 8:22:22 PM
Paste special as unformatted text into Word, make the count.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>I think you will find that Publisher has no word count facility.. Publisher
>treats a text in a box as an object containing text.. that is to say that it
>sees an object regardless of the contents.. Word sees text as a contiguous flow
>of individual characters..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "Jules@work" <Jules@work@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am trying to figure out how many words are in a 2 page article on our
>> firm's newsletter?  I know there is a word-count function in Word or
>> WordPerfect, but I'm not familiar with MS Publisher2003...

0
mary-sauer (6480)
8/7/2006 9:39:00 PM
Mary

That's what I do..

--
Mike Hall
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Paste special as unformatted text into Word, make the count.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>
> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:%23eodu8luGHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>I think you will find that Publisher has no word count facility..
>>Publisher treats a text in a box as an object containing text.. that is to
>>say that it sees an object regardless of the contents.. Word sees text as
>>a contiguous flow of individual characters..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Jules@work" <Jules@work@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I am trying to figure out how many words are in a 2 page article on our
>>> firm's newsletter?  I know there is a word-count function in Word or
>>> WordPerfect, but I'm not familiar with MS Publisher2003...

0
mikehall (45)
8/7/2006 11:06:42 PM
No need t ocut and paste...

Select the text box, Edit > Edit Story in Microsoft Word > Tools > Word
Count

Since I have to do this often, I've added the Word Count Tool Bar to the
Tool Bar Menu: View > Tool Bars > Word Count.

> Mary
>
> That's what I do..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Paste special as unformatted text into Word, make the count.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>>
>> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in
>> message news:%23eodu8luGHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>I think you will find that Publisher has no word count facility..
>>>Publisher treats a text in a box as an object containing text.. that is
>>>to say that it sees an object regardless of the contents.. Word sees text
>>>as a contiguous flow of individual characters..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>

>>> "Jules@work" <Jules@work@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
someone913 (592)
8/10/2006 1:57:46 AM
A better way for sure.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"James E Middleton" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No need t ocut and paste...
>
> Select the text box, Edit > Edit Story in Microsoft Word > Tools > Word Count
>
> Since I have to do this often, I've added the Word Count Tool Bar to the Tool
> Bar Menu: View > Tool Bars > Word Count.
>

> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Mary
>>
>> That's what I do..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Paste special as unformatted text into Word, make the count.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>>> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>>>
>>> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message

0
mary-sauer (6480)

Using Function to call Woorbook Sheet
I would like to use WEEKDAY() to call a particular Sheet in a Wookbook. The Sheets are called Sunday - Saturday and I have an IF statement that needs to check for particular information on that sheet depending on what day it is. Have it currently functioning but it is taking up way to much space. I am unable to update my code with other functions that I need it to calculate until I can figure this part out. Code =IF(OR(AND((TEXT(TODAY(),"dddd")="Monday"),(HLOOKUP(MOD(NOW(),1),Monday!$B$1:$BA$40,2))>0),AND((TEXT(TODAY(),"dddd")="Tuesday"),(HLOOKU...

Displaying Counts when Filtering
Usually when using the filter function, the total records in the spreadsheet and the number of records that match the filter criteria are displayed on the lower left of the window (I guess it's the status bar). However, for certain files that I have, no counts are displayed when I filter. Does anyone know if there is a setting in the file that causes this or something else that needs to be changed? I do notice this happens frequently with files created by exporting from Access, but not always. It also happens with other files, but I can't find a common denominator. Hi To...

How can I search for a ? in Publisher?
I did a Search & Replace and somehow ? marks were placed throughout my 32-page document. I want to be sure I found them all, but when I search for ?, it stops at every letter. Appreciate some advice. Thanks. It doesn't work for me either. It doesn't work in 2010 as well. You can checkmark *Match whole words only* Publisher will look between each word rather than each letter. Not much help when you are dealing with 32 pages. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "guymaine" <guymaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B89D6FF6-B7...

Importing a .cdr file in Publisher 2007
Hi there, someone has sent me a .cdr file, is there a way to import it into Publisher? Thanks, Ulli You can import a .cdr file in 2007. Not sure about the version however. I cannot import CorelDraw 12 images into Publisher. Your sender can convert the .cdr in Corel to a .wmf or .emf or any other format. Try importing, Insert, picture, from file. If your sender cannot convert the file, send it to me and I will convert it for you. mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Ulli" <Ul...

Letter Writing Assistant won't recognized MS Word IS installed
When I go to Reports/Letter Writing Assistant, I get an error message that "Microsoft Word must be installed on the machine to use the Letter Writing Assistant". I running XP on a networked client notebook with full Office 2003 installed (SP2) and I'm using GP 9.0 Has anyone else had this problem? Got a solution? I faced this before when i installed Great Plains first and then followed by Office. If your case is same as above, then you need to uninstalle the client version first then i reinstalled office followed by Great Plains Again. I suggest in your case try to rei...

Changing my functions to use subtotals?
I have 2 functions that are calculating my data correctly, except now I need to consider the autofilter. I figure using subtotal is the way to go if I want to disregard filtered out rows. Also, I plan on moving my data to another sheet, so it will need to reference the current sheet, which is AAT_Raw_Data. Finally, the # of rows of data will vary, but I don't think it will ever be over 10,000. I'm using Excel 2003, so I think there's an issue with using something like "A:A" in my formulas. Can someone help me change these to add in a subtotal and take into...

Converting Publisher 2002 catalog to PDF
I created a catalog using Publisher 2002. Now I need to convert it to PDF. The problem is that when I convert if, the pages do not appear in consecutive order (i.e., the first page of the catalog appears with the last page). Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Are you producing the catalog as a saddle-stitched book? What you are getting is printer's/press spreads, which, unless it is going on a large format press, is probably fine for your printer. If you are printing separate sheets to be bound by a different method, or if it is going on a large format press, and the printe...

Word always asks to save changes to the template
For my work we have made templates for different letters we have to send. Our application (VB6) calls those templates when we want to send a letter. Using the code we follow a few steps : - open word - open a new document using our template - save the document (.doc) on a server - sometimes print the document - sometimes immediately close the document (when we don't want users to modify the document afterwards) When they closed the document the users always get 2 questions : - save changes to template for the letter - save changes to normal.dot I already found a solution to avoid the q...

Refreshing a User Defined Function
To all: On Sheet 1 of my workbook, I have a date in cell A1. In the next sheet, I want the same date as the previous sheet plus seven days. When I copy the latest sheet, I want it to reference the sheet located prior to it rather than referencing the original sheet (Sheet 1). After copying 52 worksheets, I want each of them to reference the sheet located just prior to each of the sheets. I found this User Defined Function posted here on this discussion site and it works great except for one thing. If I change the original date on Sheet 1, the UDF does not automatically update. Is...

Count of Unique Items?
Hi, I have a worksheet (Sheet1) where column A consists of dates (in date order). I need to look at this column from another sheet (Sheet2) in the same workbook and return the number of unique dates in this column. For example, on Sheet1 cell A1 has the heading Date, A2 is 10/01/04, A3 is 10/01/04, A4 is 10/01/04 and A5 is 10/05/04. From cell A1 on Sheet2 I need to look at the range A2:A5 on Sheet1 and return the number 2 (the number of unique dates in the range). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Monte Sliger Try the following... =SUM(IF(Sheet1!A2:A5<>"",1/COUN...

CAN'T OPEN PC-ORIGINATED WORD DOCS ON iMAC
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel sorry for the really basic new-guy question (i just got an iMac) but when i go to open some PC-originated .doc and all .docx files, i get an error that reads &quot;Word cannot open this document. The document might be in use or might not be a valid word document.&quot; !? anyone have any guidance? i've installed all the updates ... no luck. <br><br>thanks. > sorry for the really basic new-guy question (i just got an iMac) but when i go to open some PC-originated .doc and all .docx f...

Create Assembly Call
hi All, can the create assembly call under update entity be used to add a certain number of hours/days/months/years to a date. i am trying to do this workflow if variable 1 = yes then create a task update variable 1 sent = yes variable 1 date = execution time can i use the create assembly workflow to add x number of days to variable 1 date and show in variable 2 date. any advice would be helpful please. thanks heaps regards Ridhima If Variable 1 Date is a DateTime field in CRM, then yes. You can use the Add DateTime assembly to take the Value in the DateTime field (which would be t...

Publisher font issue
I have an issue with Publisher 2000 and the calendar font size. The defaulted font size is 18. In each calendar date box, when I enter information is a smaller font (8 font), and save; close the program and then reopen; the 8 font text defaults to 18 font. I need the smaller font for information that needs to go into the calendar. I have tried a few tings through the help feature but nothing I do seems to work. Can someone help me with this or tell me how to fix this problem? Thanks Try this, put the calendar on the background (master page) Ctrl + m , use text boxes for your i...

Saving Word E-Mail as a Revision/Draft
Hi, I would like to be able to use the E-Mail feature in Word 2003 to save an email as a draft/revision for future use. I do not want to save the word doc as an attachment. Is this possible? Thanks, Josh Why don;t you just create the word doc, save it, and then email it when you're ready. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "JoshB" <JoshB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9710F08D-64E2-45B7-8115-BE8F0B116369@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I would like to be...

Do I need Publisher installed to read/edit articles in an e-mail?
I will be receiving e-mails with attachments containing Publisher2002 created articles. Do I need to have Publisher 2002 or later editions in order to read and edit these e-mail articles? On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:20:03 +0000, quilter512 wrote (in article <E5DAA762-0ABA-49C2-8DDB-9A0D05162496@microsoft.com>): > I will be receiving e-mails with attachments containing Publisher2002 created > articles. Do I need to have Publisher 2002 or later editions in order to > read and edit these e-mail articles? You can answer your own question by STFW. You not heard of Google Grou...

counting seconds
=SECOND(NOW()) and holding down the F9 key starts at whatever the second hand is pointing at and counts up to 59, then starts back at 0, 1, 2, to 59, 0, 1, 2 and so on. How can I write it so it starts at 0, and counts 1, 2, 3,...,59, 60,61,...forever? Hi have a look at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm (at the bottom of this site): There are some example counters / stop timer functions. This may what you're looking for -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:143e601c3f7f9$b63ac...

Count with two criteria
I am working in Excel 2003, I am trying to count with two criteria and multiple sheets. I am using this formula: =SUMPRODUCT(('Sum 1Q10'!A2:A4="BKD")*('Sum 1Q10'!F2:F4="Open")) my result is 0. It should be 1. Is there another way to do this? I really need help. Lisak- There are a couple of approaches to do this; I'll give you the one I use out of habit. The sumproduct conditions evaluate to true or false. You have to force them back to a numeric format. Some folks do that with a leading double negative on each condition. I tend to ...

I have recently bought a new computer with Vista Home Premium, but my Publisher 2003 will not load as it states there is no Windows XP or 2000 running. Quite right, but do I really have to buy the 2007 version? As a UK charity we have bought the Student 2007 office version - is there a student version of Publisher 2007? -- Mark Ward Senior User Try installing in safe mode. Do you get an error other than there is no XP or 2000. Publisher 2003 should install on Vista. List of system requirements for Microsoft Office 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822129/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT ...

Linking Word And Excel
I am trying to link several fields in Excel to a Word Doc. I'm linking the fields using Ctrl-Paste as Hyperlink. The linking works fine. However, when I try to save the files in different folders or move the files, all the links are lost. This makes it very hard to replicate the linking for my 6 analysts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Brady -- **************************************************************************** Brady T. Finney Atlantic Management Company, Inc. Orchard Park - Suite A12 875 Greenland Road Portsmouth, NH 03801 603-436-8009 (Office) 617-413-4554 (Mobil...

Help! New to Publisher
What is the A...at the bottom of a page inside a small box? I am typing a newsletter. Shouldn't one page flow to the next like in Microsoft Office? If it is text overflow, I cannot retrieve. What am I doing wrong? Please advise. That indicates that there is more text inside that area that cannot be seen. If you stretch that text box down, you'll see the rest of your text. To make it flow from one box to another, you need to set it up for that. (I will admit that I break mine manually because I've never taken the time to learn how to do it correctly.) -- The problem with ...

How to quote cells when "IF" word is involved
On Sheet1, I have a data set (C1:C100) based on the input of cell A1. When A1 has various method choices,say,"method 1","method 2","method 3", each cell in the data set will have a new value accordingly. (=IF(A1="method 1",formula1,IF(A1="method 2",formula2,formula3)) I want to quote those three data sets on Sheet2. A lousy way is I could just duplicate Sheet1, set A1 to different value and quote data sets from different sheets. Is it possible to quote three data sets simultaneously from Sheet1? Thanks, Ming Perhaps use a 2 variable data t...

page numbers in Word 2007
Hello, I have a Microsoft Word 2007 document which has a title and table of contents on the first page and the various chapters on the following pages. I have used an automatic TOC and then clicked on the Insert tab and then Page Number -> Bottom of Page to insert page numbers. My problem is that I don't want the first page to be numbered so that the second page starts with the number 1. I have tried clicking Page Number -> Format Page Numbers... to set the first page number at zero but then when I delete the zero all page numbers are deleted by Word 2007 just as th...

Word Wrapping in Excel
I am having trouble with Word Wrapping in Excel. It does not adjust th row height properly. I have tried Format, Rows, AutoFit and it stil doesn't work. Help, pleas -- Mandy1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mandy11's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1300 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27632 Hi do you experience this with merged cells. If yes->nothing you can really do about this without using vBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mandy11 wrote: > I...

How do I publish to the web a 3 page web pubblication from Publis.
I created a 3 page web publication in Publisher 2003, but when I 'publish it to the web', only the first page is converted. What do I need to do? Review the FAQ - http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30 -- David Bartosik - MS MVP www.publishermvps.com "Bazbo" <Bazbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B2BCFAD-8DB3-40C3-A0E2-B1EBDC60DE74@microsoft.com... > I created a 3 page web publication in Publisher 2003, but when I 'publish it > to the web', only the first page is converted. What do I need to do? ...

publisher screen pulsing
my publisher file won't stop flashing or pulsing and its driving me crazy! is it because my files is too large? Wouldn't think large files would cause pulsating. How current is your video driver? Do you have high contrast enabled in the accessibility options? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Bridget" <Bridget@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DD91197-000F-40EA-B47D-C442B7E6B4D7@microsoft.com... > my publisher file won't stop flashing or pulsing and its driving me crazy!...