Inserting text from scanner

When I try to insert a text document from my scanner a message says it cant
be done as I dont have the proper graphic converter. Is there something I can
download for this? I'm using office 2003.

All replies appreciated thanks.

Kanneily
0
Kanneily (10)

Have you tried using your OCR software to get the text into Word first?
That's what I do and it works just fine.

JoAnn Paules
MVP Publisher

"Kanneily" wrote:

> When I try to insert a text document from my scanner a message says it cant
> be done as I dont have the proper graphic converter. Is there something I can
> download for this? I'm using office 2003.
>
> All replies appreciated thanks.
>
> Kanneily
Thanks JoAnn,
                                 I'm actually doing it with word at the
moment but as it mentioned "converter" I thought there was something I could
download to make the process quicker - or if there was something on my
computer that I could activate. However, I'm sorry but I don't know what OCR
is unfortunately! I know it means optical character recogniton, but what it
does or where it is, I have no idea so I will wait for your reply. Kanneily

"Kanneily" wrote:

> When I try to insert a text document from my scanner a message says it cant
> be done as I dont have the proper graphic converter. Is there something I can
> download for this? I'm using office 2003.
>
> All replies appreciated thanks.
>
> Kanneily
0
Kanneily (10)
3/11/2005 6:57:04 PM
OCR is the software that usually comes with scanners. Different brand
scanners use different software.

Follow your scanner's directions for scanning to text and send it to Word.
Tweak what you need and then copy and paste it into Publisher. To be honest,
I've never tried to scan text directly into Publisher. Not sure why not -
just seems easier to go along with the flow.  :-)

"Kanneily" wrote:

> Thanks JoAnn,
>                                  I'm actually doing it with word at the
> moment but as it mentioned "converter" I thought there was something I could
> download to make the process quicker - or if there was something on my
> computer that I could activate. However, I'm sorry but I don't know what OCR
> is unfortunately! I know it means optical character recogniton, but what it
> does or where it is, I have no idea so I will wait for your reply. Kanneily
>
> "Kanneily" wrote:
>
> > When I try to insert a text document from my scanner a message says it cant
> > be done as I dont have the proper graphic converter. Is there something I can
> > download for this? I'm using office 2003.
> >
> > All replies appreciated thanks.
> >
> > Kanneily

Question:Text box on report
My report has a text box that shows CompanyName. I need this text box to show ContactName if CompanyName is null. Thanks for any help on this. Ron On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:09:00 -0800, Ron Weaver <RonWeaver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My report has a text box that shows CompanyName. I need this text box to show >ContactName if CompanyName is null. Thanks for any help on this. >Ron Set its Control Source to =NZ([CompanyName], [ContactName]) The NZ function will return its first argument if it is non-NULL, and its second argument otherwise. -- John W. Vin...

editing text in Word
Need help with figuring out memory problem. When trying to edit text in Word (class assignment), windows tells me it's low on memory, even with all programs closed. AFter reading the knowledge base, I tried to change the custom paging file, but I don't understand it. What should I enter in the maximum page file size? Valerie, I posted a response to this above, under the heading "Low on Memory." Sibyl On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:42:01 -0700, "Valerie" <valerie@nsatel.net> wrote: >Need help with figuring out memory problem. When trying >to edit text i...

extract numbers from text string
I have a column of cells with information in some of the cells only. the information is text with numbers (the text can be of varying length), for example: C3 could contain: 1 avml 12 chml 1 special occasion. There could be as many as 12 variations in the string of text. I need to extract all the information into other cells, seperating the numbers from the text so H3 = 1 I3 = avml, etc. How do I do this with visual basic? We need a little more information... what do you want to happen when multiple words occur without an intervening number? For example, how did you want the words "...

rich text memo fields into word

from "date" to "text"
Hi there, I have cells formatted as date (e.g. 11/9/03) and I'd like to change the format to text. But when I do it, the values change as well (e.g. "36472"). What can I do to avoid this? Thanks You can't. Dates, to Excel, are the number of days since Jan 1, 1900. That's the what you are seeing when you try to change the format to text. You need to tell us why you want it as text. You have lots of other choices of formats available. If you absolutely have to have text, you will need to create a helper cell, and use a formula like: =text(a1,"m/d...

Problems when saving worksheet into tab-delimited text file
I save a spreadsheet into a tab-delimited text file for later import into an Access database. One column contains text strings in which "comma values" can be found. Once save to the text file, those records that have commas in the Excel cells now contain double quotes (".....") at the beginning and end of the text string. As a result, during the data import into Access (and later comparison), the records are considered new and add records to tables. During testing procedures, I realized that replacing the comma with a semicolon would not add the double quotes when savin...

Inserting PDF files
Can a pdf file be inserted into a publication as an object? A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Rox McL <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > Can a pdf file be inserted into a publication as an object? Yes, but you will not get a rendering of the PDF - only an OLE icon for Acrobat Reader (or your PDF viewer of choice). You will have to use Adobe Acrobat or something to convert the file to a picture, and then insert. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: ...

Sum query (single value) to appear in a text box
I am have a SUM query (which works okay). I want to display the value of that query in a read-only text box on a form. However, when I set Control Source for that text box to =[qry_theSumQuery].[summedField] it does not work for me. I do not see any other way to do this. Can someone give me some advise on how to do this? Thanks. - Paul Schrum one way is in the form's load event, put: Me.yourTextbox = nz(DLookup("summedfield", "qry_theSumQuery"),0) Damon <paul.schrum@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1172272653.613655.323170@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.co...

Import external data-text files but placed in the next column rather than next empty row
I want to import text files in to one worksheet. The text files are sent daily and all the same format. However the text file names change buy an incremental number. Is it possible to create a macro that imports these text files, ignoring their exact filename but from the same source directory into one worksheet. Can you use wild cards for the name e.g. "********.txt"? At the moment I can manually do this, by selecting the cell below the last record then using the process "Get external Data" and following the wizard which works fine. As soon as I try to create a m...

copying text from page another publication
I make labels, and after making a master of one, i copy all of it and paste it to another publication. When doing this the fonts change from new times roman to gil sans. How can i make it stay in new times roman. The reason for this is the line spacing. The times roman leaves little space between the lines Have you used the "Paste Special" options? There is a Times New Roman font scheme, you can apply it after your paste. Are you pasting to/from a template? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "buggaa" <buggaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

inserting signature
I have Microsoft outlook 2002 for XP. In the other version I was using I had an option under "insert" to put in a signature when I typed an email. Sometimes I send letters for my boss and want to put his name at the bottom instead of mine. In this version I don't have that option. I have two signatures saved in the signature picker but it seems like I can only insert them if I default a signature through that menu. Are you using Word as the message editor? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After search...

Outlook automation: Problem with RTF-Text in body
Hello NG, I hope, this is the right forum! I'm using Outlook 2003 SP3 automation for sending emails out of an SQLWindows program written with TD5.1, OS is WinXP prof. Everything works fine with plain text, but when I'm trying to send RTF formatted text all the format characters can be seen in the mail, although Outlook displays the right message format: RTF. I set the BodyFormat property of the Mail item to olFormatRichText and placed the text string in the Body property ( using HTMLBody doesn't work either). The text is well RTF-formatted, I can open it with different edito...

Updating a control's text
How do you erase the text in a control? I have tried GetUpdateRect(&Rect, TRUE); and UpdateWindow(); without success. The symptom is that when writing new text to a control that is narrower than the previous text, the overlapping previous text is still visible. "flect" <flect@aol.com> wrote in message news:uYL52hzYHHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > How do you erase the text in a control? I have tried GetUpdateRect(&Rect, > TRUE); and UpdateWindow(); without success. > > The symptom is that when writing new text to a control that is narrower > tha...

Formula needed: count if cell CONTAINS certain text
What formula do I need to count the cells that CONTAIN a certain text (<> equal!) e.g. A1 = John A2 = Pieter A3 = William count cells that CONTAIN "i": 2 (A2 and A3) What (set of) formula should I use? Excel Help doesn't give me the answer. Wim On 7 Dec 2005 04:28:36 -0800, "Wim" <eisingspam@iafrica.com> wrote: >What formula do I need to count the cells that CONTAIN a certain text >(<> equal!) >e.g. >A1 = John >A2 = Pieter >A3 = William > >count cells that CONTAIN "i": 2 (A2 and A3) > >What (set of) formula...

an imported text field from Excel displays as an exponential number in Access
I'm trying to import an Excel worksheet into an Access table, and one of the text fields in Excel contains numbers stored as text. In Excel, one of these values displays as: 9782946 But after I import the worksheet into Access, it displays as: 9.78295e+006 It appears that Excel is sending this data to Access as a number, rather than as text. I realize that as far as Excel is concerned I'm storing a number as text, and while it's all well and good that Excel is trying to be so helpful, I would like it to treat the data as text. That's why I formatted...

How to get TEXT() to display minutes?
If I code =text(B2,"M") I get the month number. How can I get TEXT() to return the minutes? Does =MINUTE(B2) do what you want? -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Square Peg" <SquarePeg@Round.Hole> wrote in message news:5h6ud4tq4pfff7mveg9avt9a0rc7p2qkb7@4ax.com... > If I code > > =text(B2,"M") > > I get the month number. How can I get TEXT() to return the minutes? On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 09:24:57 +0100, "Bob Phillips" <bob.ngs@somewhere.com> wrote: >Does ...

about inserting data
hi, i am new to this newsgroup. I have little knwldge in Excel. How to create tables in Excel file. and also i want to execute the quries. How can i do that. thanks, regards, koti ...

Populating text field based on Picklist selection
Hi, there is probably an easy solution to this and I'm missing something very simple. I have a picklist which, when a value is selected, I then need to populate a seperate text field with a corresponding value. Eg; Picklist contains "City 1", "City 2", "City 3", etc. I now need an OnChange to enable to following formula ... If 'Picklist field' = "City 1" then 'text field" displays "State 1" If 'Picklist field' = "City 2" then 'text field" displays "State 2" and so on .... I'm ...

Fuzzy text in Insert Object>Microsoft Word Document
I have been banging me head against a wall trying to solve the following problem. First, I create "Document 1" which contains a graphic (.psd or .png) and a caption (Times New Roman, 10). This is saved in ".doc" format. Then I create "Document 2." I use "Insert Object>Microsoft Word Document" to insert Document 1 into Document 2. The problem is that the caption in Document 1 appears very blocky or fuzzy when it is displayed in Document 2. (I would guess the resolution is ~ 5-10 dpi. Very, very blocky.) This fuzziness carries over to the printed docume...

If Null
I have a report that tracks the dates certain events happen. i.e. Date Request received Date sent out Approval date etc... How do I get the report to display the text "Not Available" if there is no date recorded in the table? The NZ function is your friend here ;-) The Nz function replaces nulls with zero by default, but can be used to replace a null with any value/string you want. So, to display "Not Available" if a field named RequestDate is null, you enter the expression =Nz([RequestDate],"Not Available") in the textbox which is displaying the [Req...

Viewing text 2003 vs. 2007
I have a 2003 worksheet with many lines of wrapped text. When I select a cell I can read all the text in the formula bar. But I sent it to someone with 2007 and they claim only the first line of text is visible. Is there an option in 2007 that needs to be selected to read all text? -- Matt S ask the person to double click on the cell or at the top, widden the area where you see the text. If the text had a control break (alt+enter) then it may have stacked the data and they are looking at only the first line "Matt S" wrote: > I have a 2003 worksheet with ma...

Skipping Text Entries
One of my charts contains "N/A" entries. Right now they are showing as zeros on the chart. I went to OPTIONS/CHART and the chose the LEAVE GAPS choice but they are still showing as zeros. Is there any way to skip that week if the entry is non-numeric? Thanks. have your text entries return the #NA error, such as: =IF(A2=0,NA(),A2) The #NA error is ignored by charts. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Gingerly" wrote: > One of my charts contains "N/A" entries. Right now they are showing as zeros >...

Find certain "Text" in a specific coloum, add corres. values
Hi, I have two coloums. One has text and the other has Values. I need excel to search through a whole coloum, and summerize the results. My coloums look like as follows A 2 B 5 A 2 The results should look like A 4 B 2 How can I achieve this? Thanks Try =SUMIF(C1:C3,"A",D1:D3) This is quite expandable using sumproduct for a criteria in B and matching in C and then sum C. HTH Regards, Howard "Arum Khan" <Arum Khan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5EBFC7F-A263-424E-83A4-80B3DB14E603@microsoft.com... > Hi...

Converting excel to text file
Hi, I want to convert an excel file to a .prn file. Here I need to retain the column width of all the columns in the excel as it is. I could do that by changing the autoformat to None. But the issue is when i try to save it as .prn file, it wraps up the text in the .prn file. the maximum length it goes without wrapping in the notepad is 236 character size. I am not really sure how to convert it to a .prn file retain column width without the wrapping in the text file. any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks, Giri --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ How do y...

Addition on "text" cells
Hello everyone, I wonder if this is possible, cell A1 contains the text "P0001", cell A2 contains "P0021", A3 contains "P0041" and so on until "P0581". The values are separated by 20 units. If the cell is numeric, I could just make the formula on A2 as "+A1+20" and copy it down. This will give me the result from cell A2 21, 41, etc. Is there a way to make a formula or something so that I can have "P0001", then "P0021" and so on, on a single column. -- ledzepe -----------------------------------------------------------...