Inserting PDFs

Is there any way at all to insert a PDF file into a
Publisher 2003 document (in Windows 98)???  The most
intuitive way to me would be Insert, Picture and then
choose your PDF file, but it always asks what kind of
file I want to convert it FROM and pdf isn't an option.
I found a MS webpage that lists all types of graphic
files that Pub. can accept and PDF is not one of them.
Why the heck not????  I do a newsletter for a club and
the most common way that people want to send me ads is
PDF files.  I know someone who I think has an older Pub.
version and she says PDFs insert no problem for her. The
only way I've found is to open the PDF in Acrobat, and
then 'save as' a different type of file.

On a partly related note, has anyone tried to insert an
EPS file and got nothing but a blank picture frame?  Why
is it that some EPSs give me no trouble and others do?
I'm half wondering if it's a Mac/PC thing.

0
anonymous (74722)

No because you can't run Pub 2003 on a Windows 98 system. It requires
Windows� 2000 with Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows XP, or later.

Assuming you have something mistyped in that................ .pdfs are not
"pictures". What I do is to save my .pdf files as a graphic and insert it
but you have to have Acrobat to do that. As for the other person who does it
in a different version of Publisher, have you tried asking her what steps
she takes?

Can't help you with the .eps question. I don't use that file format. No
reason - I just don't.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Laura Wright" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way at all to insert a PDF file into a
> Publisher 2003 document (in Windows 98)???  The most
> intuitive way to me would be Insert, Picture and then
> choose your PDF file, but it always asks what kind of
> file I want to convert it FROM and pdf isn't an option.
> I found a MS webpage that lists all types of graphic
> files that Pub. can accept and PDF is not one of them.
> Why the heck not????  I do a newsletter for a club and
> the most common way that people want to send me ads is
> PDF files.  I know someone who I think has an older Pub.
> version and she says PDFs insert no problem for her. The
> only way I've found is to open the PDF in Acrobat, and
> then 'save as' a different type of file.
>
> On a partly related note, has anyone tried to insert an
> EPS file and got nothing but a blank picture frame?  Why
> is it that some EPSs give me no trouble and others do?
> I'm half wondering if it's a Mac/PC thing.

---

jl_amerson (3088)
9/15/2004 12:55:47 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Laura
Wright <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> Is there any way at all to insert a PDF file into a
> Publisher 2003 document (in Windows 98)???
As JoAnn said, there is no way to insert anything into Publisher 2003 on
Windows 98, because Publisher 2003 will not under any circumstances run
under Windows 98.

As for inserting PDFs, no version of Publisher will insert a PDF file.
You need to convert the PDF to an image file that Publisher will accept,
such as EPS (see below), PNG or TIF.
GhostScript (when used in conjunction with GSView) can do this.
(http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ and http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/
are the links for these two nice products)

> I know someone who I think has an older Pub.
> version and she says PDFs insert no problem for her.
Cool!  She must have some secret version of Publisher that only a handful of
people ever bought and was never advertised, publicised, or announced, and
had secret features such as inserting PDFs, merging OLE fields, and
customizable keyboard shortcuts.  Can she eBay it to me?

Congratulations, you found the workaround :-) http://tinyurl.com/5lrq5

> On a partly related note, has anyone tried to insert an
> EPS file and got nothing but a blank picture frame?  Why
> is it that some EPSs give me no trouble and others do?
When you insert an EPS into Publisher all you see on-screen is the
low-resolution TIFF preview embedded within the file.  If the file has no
preview, you see no image.  The full high-resolution image prints when you
print your publication to a PostScript printer (such as many laser printer
drivers and most PDF-making apps).  You will not see the full-resolution
image when printing to a printer driver that does not have PostScript turned
on.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6342)
9/15/2004 3:27:00 PM
>No because you can't run Pub 2003 on a Windows 98=20
system. It requires=20
>Windows=AE 2000 with Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows XP, or=20
later.

Well isn't that the weirdest thing!  I AM running=20
Publisher 2003 on Windows 98.  I just got it a year or so=20
ago, so I'm pretty sure it is 2003.  Wow, gotta double=20
check that when I get home.  I'll let you know. =20

>As for the other person who does it=20
>in a different version of Publisher, have you tried=20
asking her what steps=20
>she takes?

I don't remember her exact words, but from what I=20
remember she just uses insert, picture.  But maybe I=20
didn't remember that correctly. =20

Thanks!

Laura
0
anonymous (74722)
9/15/2004 4:38:52 PM
>When you insert an EPS into Publisher all you see on-
screen is the
>low-resolution TIFF preview embedded within the file.
If the file has no
>preview, you see no image.  The full high-resolution
image prints when you
>print your publication to a PostScript printer (such as
many laser printer
>drivers and most PDF-making apps).  You will not see the
full-resolution
>image when printing to a printer driver that does not
have PostScript turned
>on.

Ah, that explains why I got nothing when I tried to print
it (thinking perhaps it was some sort of memory saving
feature, as it was a huge file).  But I gather that had I
taken it to the printshop where I get the newsletter
printed, it probably would have been fine.

Thanks!

Laura
0
anonymous (74722)
9/15/2004 4:52:17 PM
"Laura Wright" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<083201c49b1a$842c7ea0$a401280a@phx.gbl>...

> On a partly related note, has anyone tried to insert an
> EPS file and got nothing but a blank picture frame?  Why
> is it that some EPSs give me no trouble and others do?
> I'm half wondering if it's a Mac/PC thing.

Laura,

I've never had ANY luck getting Publisher to read EPS files.

However, the free program XNView <http://www.xnview.com> seems to be
better at reading "difficult" EPS files and you can use it to view
them and convert them to a format that works.

  Eric
0
byteguy (20)

insert column problem
I�m trying to add 31 more columns to the end of my spreadsheet and keep getting this strange error message: �To prevent possible loss of data. MS Excel cannot shift nonblank cell off the worksheet. Try to delete or clear the cells to the right an below your data. Then select cell A1 and save your workbook to rese the last cell used. Or, you can move the data to a new location and tr again.� It lets me insert one column, but then it won�t let me insert any mor columns. My end columns are blank so I don�t know why I�m getting this erro message. Thanks. see attached spreadshee Attachment fi...

How under the insertion pulls in the excel form tabulates the fram
How under the insertion pulls in the excel form tabulates the frame? ...

Inserting a Hard Carriage Return within a Cell
I believe in word tables you use a ctrl+return, but how do you do it in excel with out taking yourself to the next cell. I am doing address, and want all entries in a cell to line- up after formatting in wrap text. Use ALT+Enter. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "DL Ressel" <davidlee.ressel@viacom.com> wrote in message news:078701c386ba$0c3ab940$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I believe in word tables you use a ctrl+return, but how > do you do it in excel with out taking yourself to the next > cell. > > I am ...

Inserting/Adding objects to Collections
Hello I am trying read from a xml file, pull the values in a object and then add the object to an ArrayList. I am using a 'while' loop to move through each node in the xml file and pulling the required values as needed and setting them to the relevant property within my object. The reading of the xml file works as it should. I get a problem when I try to add the object that I created to the arraylist. It seems to be adding each one, but when I view the results of the list, it shows the last object passed in for each object stored within the Arraylist. Here is the code that is givi...

Insert
Column is titled - "UP". I want to replace with an arrow. Martell Portland, Oregon One way: Select the cell and use Insert | Symbol. Go to the Wingdings group and there's an arrow there that may work for you. "MUTTMIND" wrote: > Column is titled - "UP". I want to replace with an arrow. > Martell > > Portland, Oregon Hi, In Excel 2003 click the Drawing tool on Standard toolbar (to the left of the Zoom button) - the Drawing toolbar usually appears at the bottom of the screen. On the drawing toolbar click AutoShapes, choose Block Arrow...

How do I move Inserted Comments in Word?
I have several comments in a Word 2003 doc. Currently they take up 3 pages, but I would like to MOVE them on to one page. In order to do that I need to know how to move inserted comments so that I can fit them on one page. To move a comment, you can cut and paste the text to which the comment is attached. Or you could cut the text of the comment, delete the original comment, insert a new one, and paste in the text. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:870CBAB9-EC70-4AE3-BDB4-39A945891C1D@micro...

Clip art does not appear in new blank publications when inserted
I am running office 2003 pro. When I use Publisher , the following happens. I open a new blank publication page and go to insert some clip art. The outerframe of the clip art appears but not the actual clip art. There is no clip art to be seen. When I print it out the clip art is there. Can any one help? What am I doing wrong??? View, pictures, "detailed display" -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "doogle" <doogle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F0BD8FE-3FCD-48A3-8BA8-4C1C86...

Microsoft Office Word Document is missing from Insert Object dialog
From the Word 2007 ribbon, clicked Insert, Object, Insert Object. Received Object dialog. On Create tab of dialog, scrolled through list of available Object Types. Microsoft Office Word xxx types are missing. Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint, etc. are there. Color me confused. Doesn't happen on all boxes here in-plant, but does on some. Hoping that someone can educate me with respect to: 1. What caused the problem, and 2. How to correct it. thanks, david You don't have, Insert | Object | Microsoft Word Document in your list? -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP &...

Inserting text before right command
I am using the command: =RIGHT($C2,1) This gives me a number output. How do I insert a word before it, i.e. instead of giving me say "3" it gives me "Position 3"? Thanks -- Turnipboy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Turnipboy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24527 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=486783 ="Position "&RIGHT($C2,1) "Turnipboy" <Turnipboy.1yudzm_1132568701.0857@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message new...

how do I insert a title page to a 3 page research paper
How do I insert a title page to my 3 page report If you're using Word 2007, go to: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/front_matter_2007.htm If you're in an earlier version of Word, go to http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NumberingFrontMatter.htm "Anna" wrote: > How do I insert a title page to my 3 page report > ...

problem inserting photo in publisher
when i insert photo from file the photo is blank in publisher Based on Publisher 2000; I'd look at View, Picture display and/or Control Panel Display, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot tab, and lower the acceleration setting. -- Don Vancouver USA "jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B473DE7-5794-409E-821B-0B0BD18A8E10@microsoft.com... > when i insert photo from file the photo is blank in publisher How are you inserting the photo? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Quick Parts/Inserting Text File
I have a two-page document I frequently need to insert into certain contracts. I notice that when I insert it as either a "text from file" or a "quick part," the formatting gets all screwed up -- the text is the wrong font, the spacing is too wide and the original two-page document sometimes turns into 4+ pages with all the weird spacing and font issues. Is there a way to keep the inserted document/text the way it is originally supposed to appear? I'm using Word 2007. Insert a Section Break (New Page) before where you are going to import your file, and...

Can I retain functions from a previous cell when inserting a new r
I have an Excel spreadsheet. I need to insert a row, but have a column with SUM functions going down each row. Can I insert the row and have the SUM function automatically entered in the new row created? Hi see: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Philobr" <Philobr@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:B5E5E5B1-C5EA-446A-A43F-017BB67F6773@microsoft.com... > I have an Excel spreadsheet. > I need to insert a row, but have a column with SUM functions going down each > row. > Can I insert the ...

Inserting Rows
Hi, I have 500+ rows of data that I would like to insert a blank row in between each row. Is there a globabl way of doing it rather than having to click on each row one at a time and then selecting 'insert row'? Thanks Ben Hi Ben have a look at http://tinyurl.com/2pt5r Frank Ben wrote: > Hi, > > I have 500+ rows of data that I would like to insert a > blank row in between each row. Is there a globabl way of > doing it rather than having to click on each row one at a > time and then selecting 'insert row'? > > Thanks > > Ben Thanks...

Insert FLASH file (.swf) into FP2003
I have a flash file that I can open and view in Internet Explorer. I would like to insert this '.swf' file into a web page, using FP2003. How can that be done? Thanks! - John R. Baker Found it! Insert > Web Component... > Advanced Controls > Plug-In Mission accomplished. - John R. Baker "JRBaker" <bakerj@mapson.hkywater.org> wrote in message news:%23sNwBVEpKHA.5224@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have a flash file that I can open and view in Internet Explorer. I would >like to insert this '.swf' f...

Cannot Insert picture as attachment only in body of email
All of a sudden I am unable to insert a picure as an attachment - the options are grayed out but I can insert a file as an attachment. However, I do have the option of inserting a picture in the body of the email. I did used to be able to do this. Outlook is set up to compose messages in HTML and I use microsoft office to edit my email. Any advice gratefully received. Thank you To insert a picture as an attachment Insert-> File... To insert a picture in the body Insert-> Picture... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-o...

Insert / Delete a line keeping the order
I need to generate a table with a sequential reference number as the first column on the left. Every now and then, one needs to add or delete one (or a number of) row(s) in the middle of the table. How can I automatically re-sequence the table without manual intervention? Much obliged JC Hi the following formulas will put a sequencing number in column A, if column B is filled: in A1 enter the following formula =IF(B1<>"",1,"") in A2 enter the formula =IF(B2<>"",MAX($A$1:OFFSET($A2,-1,0))+1,"") and copy this formula down for as many rows ...

How to programmatically insert an activex into a dialog?
Hello All, How can I programmatically insert an ActiveX control into my MFC dialog box? Please cc to my email. Thanks! Here's a couple of links to check out: http://www.murrayc.com/learning/windows/useactivex.shtml http://www.codeproject.com/KB/COM/AdvActiveX.aspx Tom <ohad.ads@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a4c575ed-a44f-4ccd-9b5d-49053993aca9@e41g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > Hello All, > > How can I programmatically insert an ActiveX control into my MFC > dialog box? > > Please cc to my email. > > Thanks! ...

Inserting static date AND time
I've found that you can insert either a static date using [Ctrl] + [:;] or a static time using [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [:;] Is there a way to enter a static date and time without adding the two together? Thanks in advance, Barb Reinhardt Hi, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but playing around with your example I found that you can combine them. Add the date, press the spacebar, and then add the time--Excel recognizes this as a date / time value. HTH--Lonnie M. Barb Macro OK? Sub NOWTIME() ActiveCell.Value = Format(Now(), "dd-mm-yyyy h:mm:ss AM/PM...

Insert Multiple Text Frames
Someone has told me that to insert a text frame you can click the text frame button with your right mouse and that way it will leave it switched on so that you can use it over and over again without reselecting the button. I'm using v2000 but I can't seem to get it to work. Thanks Anita I've never heard that. Right-mouse button clicks generally give you options about the command you are in the process of using. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Anita" <Anita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7DEAAFC1-0DD6-42CD-AF4F-A3A64CE2AE96...

insertions in downloaded templates
I must have forgotten! I downloaded some Office business card templates from MS. Do not remember how to enter info in one of 10 cards on sheet and have it fill in the others. Do I go to 'print' and set to single per page or what? Please answer someone! I need to get these done tonite! Thanks! -- To all...thanks! Please find me if I can ever return the favor! I would like to be involved in helping, and also beleive this will be my ''help'' source in the future. Later..Steve Sorry no one was looking at your post last night. Hopefully you found your answer. When yo...

INSERT INTO Query Converted to VBA
Hello all, I have a append query that works great if I just run the query via Access. I need to convert that query into VBA code. Here is the SQL View of the query I'm trying to convert: INSERT INTO TblInitiator IN 'I:\Archive\TestFinal\080107\TS3000v101_be.mdb' SELECT tblAddInitiator.* FROM tblAddInitiator; What the query does is append the table called tblInitiator located in a network location from values in a table called tblAddInitiator. There is only one field in each of the tables both called fldInitiator I tried this VBA statement (all on 1 line) AppendDB = "IN...

How do I insert a "hard return" in a cell?
I want the words in the cell to be on two lines. It's SHIFT + a couple of other keys but I don't remember which ones ... THANKS! Alt+Enter ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "cari" <cari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF436D71-2331-49FB-886D-776AE489FD8E@microsoft.com... > I want the words in the cell to be on two lines. It's SHIFT + a couple of > other keys but I don't remember which ones ... THANKS! ...

Rows inserted into a List will not sort properly
I have a spreadsheet that is sorted first by department, then by number. The departments are sorting OK, but within some of the departments, the numbers are not being sorted properly. This is happening in departments where some rows have been inserted into the spreadsheet and data has been entered. In those departments, after running the sort, the numbers of the inserted rows appear first, followed by the remaining numbers. I've tried reformatting the cells and Iv'e also tried copying the sheet and pasting it into a new file, both to no avail. Any ideas? Excel 2003, Window...

Auto Insert of Comments for Cell
I have a spreadsheet with a column containing about 500 rows. For each row, I want to insert a comment. The comment text is in a column of 500 rows in another spreadsheet. Is there a way to automate the insertion of the comments from the source column to the target column? Thanks. Hi Try this with the comments text in column A of sheet2 Sub test() Dim cell As Range Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each cell In Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:A500") On Error Resume Next cell.AddComment Text:=Sheets("Sheet2") _ ...