I am having problems with line spacing in Publisher.

I am having a problem with Publisher 2003 and the spacing of the last lines
of paragraphs. I am using a catalogue template to produce a "facebook" of
people and information about them. At every last paragraph line, there is
about 1/3 to 1/2 of an extra line's worth of space. The rest of the paragraph
is fine; only the last line does this.
I have tried, in the "Style and Formatting" box, checking the "Widow and
Orphan Control" item, as well as the "Keep lines together" item. It doesn't
seem to work. The style that I am using is "Accent 2," as it fits the look
and size that I need.
Can anyone help me get rid of this annoyance?
0
chinamike (3)

Try changing the wrap on your pictures or right-click a photo, format picture,
Layout tab, select exact.

Change your text box to have no bottom margin.

Look at the help for baseline.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"chinamike" <chinamike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having a problem with Publisher 2003 and the spacing of the last lines
> of paragraphs. I am using a catalogue template to produce a "facebook" of
> people and information about them. At every last paragraph line, there is
> about 1/3 to 1/2 of an extra line's worth of space. The rest of the paragraph
> is fine; only the last line does this.
> I have tried, in the "Style and Formatting" box, checking the "Widow and
> Orphan Control" item, as well as the "Keep lines together" item. It doesn't
> seem to work. The style that I am using is "Accent 2," as it fits the look
> and size that I need.
> Can anyone help me get rid of this annoyance?

0
mary-sauer (6480)
3/5/2007 7:10:48 PM
Thank you, Mary. This was helpful, and I learned a new thing, i.e. working
with baseline guides. Changing the guides did cure the extra space problem at
the end of paragraphs, but now there is too much space between the title text
in the box, and the box text, so I lose the whole thing... Sort of an
out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire sort of deal.

I'm going to try something with the "keep text together" checkbox.

Thanks.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Try changing the wrap on your pictures or right-click a photo, format picture,
> Layout tab, select exact.
>
> Change your text box to have no bottom margin.
>
> Look at the help for baseline.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "chinamike" <chinamike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having a problem with Publisher 2003 and the spacing of the last lines
> > of paragraphs. I am using a catalogue template to produce a "facebook" of
> > people and information about them. At every last paragraph line, there is
> > about 1/3 to 1/2 of an extra line's worth of space. The rest of the paragraph
> > is fine; only the last line does this.
> > I have tried, in the "Style and Formatting" box, checking the "Widow and
> > Orphan Control" item, as well as the "Keep lines together" item. It doesn't
> > seem to work. The style that I am using is "Accent 2," as it fits the look
> > and size that I need.
> > Can anyone help me get rid of this annoyance?

0
chinamike (3)
3/5/2007 8:02:10 PM
Usually the space is because the title font size is larger than the body text.
Change the text size before you do a return. Or change the text size in the
space between the title and the body text.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Thank you, Mary. This was helpful, and I learned a new thing, i.e. working
> with baseline guides. Changing the guides did cure the extra space problem at
> the end of paragraphs, but now there is too much space between the title text
> in the box, and the box text, so I lose the whole thing... Sort of an
> out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire sort of deal.
>
> I'm going to try something with the "keep text together" checkbox.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Try changing the wrap on your pictures or right-click a photo, format
>> picture,
>> Layout tab, select exact.
>>
>> Change your text box to have no bottom margin.
>>
>> Look at the help for baseline.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "chinamike" <chinamike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having a problem with Publisher 2003 and the spacing of the last lines
>> > of paragraphs. I am using a catalogue template to produce a "facebook" of
>> > people and information about them. At every last paragraph line, there is
>> > about 1/3 to 1/2 of an extra line's worth of space. The rest of the
>> > paragraph
>> > is fine; only the last line does this.
>> > I have tried, in the "Style and Formatting" box, checking the "Widow and
>> > Orphan Control" item, as well as the "Keep lines together" item. It doesn't
>> > seem to work. The style that I am using is "Accent 2," as it fits the look
>> > and size that I need.
>> > Can anyone help me get rid of this annoyance?

0
mary-sauer (6480)
3/5/2007 9:45:15 PM
I know to do that, but the problem was the "Align with Guides" command. When
the program aligned the text with the guides, it was dropping the text to the
nearest guide line, and then leaving a two-guideline space between title and
text. What I finally did was to set the space after paragraph to 0 for both
styles, turned on widows and orphan control, turned off "keep text together,"
and things seem to be working now. Learning how to use the baseline giudes,
however, was one of the more useful things that I have come across in a year
or so. Thanks.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Usually the space is because the title font size is larger than the body text.
> Change the text size before you do a return. Or change the text size in the
> space between the title and the body text.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "chinamike" <chinamike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you, Mary. This was helpful, and I learned a new thing, i.e. working
> > with baseline guides. Changing the guides did cure the extra space problem at
> > the end of paragraphs, but now there is too much space between the title text
> > in the box, and the box text, so I lose the whole thing... Sort of an
> > out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire sort of deal.
> >
> > I'm going to try something with the "keep text together" checkbox.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> Try changing the wrap on your pictures or right-click a photo, format
> >> picture,
> >> Layout tab, select exact.
> >>
> >> Change your text box to have no bottom margin.
> >>
> >> Look at the help for baseline.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >>
> >> "chinamike" <chinamike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
chinamike (3)

Problems installingOutlook 2002 on new computer
I just got a new computer at work and I'm trying to install Outlook 2002 so I can "Active Sync" my Ipaq 3800 w/ this new computer. Outlook 2002 seemed to installed just fine but when I try to open it, it tells me I need to create a user profile. I have done this about 10 times now and the system doesn't recognize any profiles. It also give a 2nd error message that says that "the server is not available". I am not trying to hook up to a server so I'm wondering if there is a setting somewhere that is incorrect and Outlook is looking for a server. Can a...

Open relay problem Exchange 2003
We encountered some big problems when first turning up a new SBS2003 Server. We still have a remaining issue that I can't seem to get an answer to. I recently installed SBS 2003 on a new server and Exchnge installed as an open relay by default. Within hours of being online thousands upon thousands of SPAM email was relaying (or trying to relay) through the server. In addition, one of the initial Windows update may have corrupted the registry hive. Ended up reloading this new machine twice with in a very short time and both times Exchange installed as an open relay. Once the fiasco...

Complete system lockup when opening publisher
We have been having this problem for a while and recently it started a second system so now I can rule out the one laptop, but I'm hoping someone has a fix for this. The my documents are sync'd to the U: drive which is a network share. Sometimes when the user opens publisher it will freeze and lockup the entire system. You can move the mouse but that is all. Even Ctrl-Alt-Delete does nothing. I have to hard power off and on the laptop to get windows responding again. Everything else works just fine. But to get publisher working again, I have to open regedit and...

Tutorial on line available?
Need to learn this fast. Is there an on line tutorial (free, of course) that I may use? Thanks in advance There are quite a few general ones, here's one: http://www.itts.ttu.edu/documentation/excel/excel2/exceltxti.html also, there are a lot of sites with useful information. John Walkenbach has a good list here: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/links/ HTH tim "Semudemu" <Semudemu@aol.com> wrote in message news:03e201c34bd7$e55c9e50$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Need to learn this fast. Is there an on line tutorial > (free, of course) that I may use? > Thanks in advance &...

Creating a summary page without blank lines
I have a project where I need to determine if the billing for supplemental charges for employees matches what is actually deducted from the employee's pay check. I just started this position and what I am working with is a separate spreadsheet for each month's bill. What I have done so far is to create a spreadsheet with a tab for each month that just has the supplemental information being billed for in the left most columns and what was deducted from each paycheck in the columns to the right, a tab that lists employee names and employee numbers, and a summary page that lists...

Excel to publisher import
How can I import an excel spreadsheet to publisher doc.? If you want to insert the actual spreadsheet, you can go to Insert > Object > Create from file and browse to the Excel file. If you want to merge the contents of the cells, you can use the Mail Merge feature in Publisher. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80F32E78-1710-40E9-8922-CE4EBD69F5C2@microsoft.com... > How can I imp...

Worksheet Problem 01-04-10
So I have a couple of issues. I go to open up a file today and try to unhide two worksheets that were hidden, and they are gone. I can still see them in VBA, but cannot open them and they are not visible at all in excel. I also am having trouble inserting a new worksheet. All the options are they, but I am not able to select insert. Any help would be appreciated. CHeck to see if workbook protection is activated. That would prevent you from being able to add new sheets (or unhide). Also, in VBE, check to see if the missing sheets have a visible status of "xlSheetVe...

best way to publish html newsletter for e-mail
I would like to create a newsletter and send via e-mail as an HTML file that will be viewable by a wide variety of e-mail programs (Outlook, Outlook Express, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.). Please advise if you have any suggestions. Shawn458 <Shawn458@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Please advise if you have any suggestions. Don't use Publisher. :-) -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher I think it is the consensus of most is to use a pdf file attached to a cover letter e-mail. Benefits include limitless number of pages Full screen display by a...

Publisher documents do not print. Help!
I just set up a new computer with an HP Deskjet 5440 and Microsoft Publisher 2003. Documents print perfectly from every software package except Publisher. Publisher documents don't print at all, even after I reinstalled the printer drivers. The entire document or just the pictures? If it is just the pictures, click the advanced print settings button in the print dialogue, graphics and fonts tab. Be sure "Do not print any graphics" is checked. Look on the HP site to be certain you have the most current driver. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&cc=us...

Publisher #9
I have someone who translated their PUblisher 98 document into Latin. How do i get it back to english? I used the Language setting button and nothing happened. Please Help. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from VP <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I have someone who translated their PUblisher 98 document > into Latin. How do i get it back to english? I used the > Language setting button and nothing happened. There is no way to translate a document automatically. If the person did translate their document, the original text...

System restore problem
Windows XP Home SP3. I'm trying to do a system restore, by going to Start | Accessories | System Tools | System restore. I select a date, and click next, but nothing happens. I've tried several different dates with no luck. Am I screwed or is there a way to manually force a system restore without using this wizard? Thanks in advance for any help. Craig Try SR in Safe Mode. Why do you want to run SR? Are you having a problem? "Craig Schiller" <cschiller1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:u9722H$sKHA.5276@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Win...

y-axis problems
Hello, When I create a bar chart (in powerpoint or excel) on my PC, the last letter on the X axis label gets cut off when I rotate the label to run sideways. It works fine on my laptop, but if I open the file on my PC and click on the chart area, the last letter disappears. This is a very common experience. Some uses add "hard-spaces" which is ANSI 0160 - hold ALT down and type 0160 on numeric pad Other add some nonsense text (three periods) and format it with a color and background to make invisible. Best wishes - Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS ...

[Bitmap] problem loading from array
Hello! I'm trying to load a bitmap from an array using the following code : CBitmap bmp1; bmp1.CreateBitmap(im_data.width,im_data.height,1,24,NULL); bmp1.SetBitmapBits(im_data.length,im_data.data_buf); CClientDC dc(this);//CPaintDC dc(this); CDC bmDC; bmDC.CreateCompatibleDC(&dc); CBitmap *pOldbmp = bmDC.SelectObject(&bmp1); dc.BitBlt(50,150,im_data.width,im_data.height,&bmDC,0,0,SRCCOPY); bmDC.SelectObject(pOldbmp); where im_data.width is the width of the image where im_data.height is the height of the image where im_data.length is the number of bytes in the image ...

Problem using a report from Access2003 to Access2007
I am trying to use a database created with Access 2003 in Access 2007 but have come up with a problem. The database contains a report which produces invoices for sales between two dates. When the report is run the user is asked to input sale date From and To (this is set up in the Invoice Query), Invoice Date and Invoice Start Number - these two are set up as text boxes on the report. Invoice Date conrol source has [Enter Invoice Date] and Invoice Start Number has [Page]+[Invoice Start Number]-1. This works fine in Access 2003 and the invoices come out correctly but in 2007 invoice ...

Add lines to a renewed contract
Whenever I try to add a new contract line while renewing a contract (ie the customer has purchased an item during the year and the contract template is coverage dates), the system rejects the new line with "invalid coverage dates". Doesnt seem to matter what dates are entered. Please advise how to add new lines while renewing a contract. Thanks Prue ...

Need help with cursor spacing problem
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3173510125_666133 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Hello: I�m trying to fill in a form that�s MS Word based. I�m using MS Office X on a Mac G4 with system 10.3.4. When I type, the cursor seems to have an extra space between the last letter and the place where I want to put a new one. In other words, I�m unable to align the cursor exactly where I want it to go. It makes typing almost imposs...

Exch 2003/Outlook 2003 inbox sync problem
Greetings, After several hardware problems on a SBS Server 2003 I can no longer sync my inbox with Outlook 2003? All other folders sync just fine. After a manual sync the properties of the inbox show 147 items on the server and 0 items in the off-line folder. I have deleted the .ost file and had outlook recreate it -- no change. I updated to sp1 -- no change. I logged in on a different box with OL2003sp1 -- no change. ANY help or pointers are appreciated. -Steve S. ...

Publisher XP
Publisher XP - keeps crashing we have some workstations running Windows XP Service Pack 2, with Office XP and publisher XP. Outlook is version 2003. Lastest service packs for Publisher appear to be applied, Office 2003 (outlook part) is running service pack 1 (not 2) From time to time, publisher is crashing and we get the error reporting screen that allows us to restart publisher. It seems to appear most when working with the clipart module and searching for clipart, and after closing the clipart search screen. I believe that it is also crashing when just got documents open, but it...

Forms problem #2
Hi all, I've designed a form in MSO 2003 with a picture for a background and the bcc field having a default value. The problem is that when I send attachments through this form sometimes the recipient gets the attachment as a .dat file! I like the functionality of the form that I've created but the problem with the attachments is a big one! Any suggestions? -pnp Do not use Outlook Rich Text as the form message format. Use Plain Text or HTML instead. The winmail.dat is caused by clients that cannot understand RTF (all except Outlook/Eudora) wrapping the formatting in the .da...

Microsoft Publisher Wizard
can i downalod Microsoft Publisher Wizard without the installation CD? bigbumsm wrote: > can i downalod Microsoft Publisher Wizard without the installation CD? No. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org/ ...

Publisher 2007 Error, Windows Vista
I have an issue using Publisher 2007 on Windows Vista 32bit. When attempting to print (or print preview) the user interface locks up and my only option is to ctl-alt-del. I cannot switch windows, I cannot bring up task manager. The UI still displays updates (outside of Publisher), but I cannot "use" any of the interface except the Windows Security menu via ctl-alt-del. If I attempt a logout I can force Publisher to stop. This is followed by two logged events: --- 1. Source: Office 12, Event ID 5000 The description for Event ID 5000 from source Microsoft Office 12 cannot be ...

Problems with CRM 3.0 Reports
Hi, I am having problems opening reports from the web client direct from the CRM server. When i ckick reports either in My Workplace the following message occurs: Reports.config has invalid schema, and could not be loaded. Any ideas what might be the problem? Note: I have not implemented Microsoft CRM myself, but one of our partners, so I know little about the install process. Hi, If you are running sqlserver 2005, the following could help: - log on to your server - start - all programs - microsoft sql server 2005 - configuration tools - reporting services configuration - connect to...

Quit Excel problem
Hi, Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this macro? Its meant to save the spreadsheet (which it does), shut down the worksheet (which it does) and quit excel (which it doesn't!) I wondered whether it had something to do with the worksheet containing the macro shuting before excel executed the quit, but if I take out the ActiveWorksheet.Close, whilst excel closes I get a Dr.Watson application error. Sub Exit_Save() ' ' Exit_Save Macro ' This macro saves the current work and quits the application Application.DisplayAlerts = False ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs _ FileN...

CHtmlEditCtrl
I'm trying to use this class but documentation about it is minimal. I'd like to know: 1. How shoud I create this control to have edit mode without any margins like after this: <body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" rightmargin="0" style="color: black; background-color: yellow;" alink="red" link="blue" vlink="navy" > 2. How intercept pressing Enter to make additional operations. 3. How put any text to this control from program (no from file, address. etc.) 4. How set caret to the end of line (for instance a...

Old Publisher on Windows XP ?
I have an old version of Publisher that came with a bundle with Windows 95 (yoiks). I want to get to some docs I created all them years ago. I now have XP Pro. Does anyone know whether I can successfully run this old version of Publisher on XP ? I have looked around the MS Support site and KB for some info but can't seem to find any. If all else fails I will install it and try, but thought if someone knew that it can't be done, then I wouldn't waste my time. Cheers Mal Oz I think there will be someone else who will point out that Publisher was never a part of Windows. I...