How to search for text within publisher files

Good Morning all, maybe I am thick, I need to search for
specific text within several publisher files, is this
possible, if so, how do I achieve this task..

Many Thanks in anticipation !!!
0
anonymous (74722)

Use the SEARCH facility in Explorer.
It searches in the files internally for any specific words you enter in the
Search.

0
brains (331)
7/26/2004 8:04:09 AM
You can search any folder for any phrase in the Windows search dialogue. In the
Search Companion, click "All files and folders."  If all your Publisher files are in
the same folder, expand "look in" and search only the Publisher folder.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
> Good Morning all, maybe I am thick, I need to search for
> specific text within several publisher files, is this
> possible, if so, how do I achieve this task..
>
> Many Thanks in anticipation !!!

0
gsauer (5093)
7/26/2004 8:08:29 AM
Hi Mary, firstly, thank you very much indeed for
responding, greatly appreciated, I still cannot get it to
work, all of my publisher files are held in one directory,
I know that one of the files has the word 'Alfred' in the
text. I access the folder via windows explorer and go into
the directory (Business), I then click the search option,
all files and folders, the directory business is already
defaulted within 'Look in',  I then type in the
word 'Alfred' into the 'A word or Phrase in the file', and
then click search, nothing is returned.

Kindest Regards,

Any further help would be appreciated.

Steve Hurley.

0
anonymous (74722)
7/26/2004 9:07:12 AM
Hi All, I have been told that it is not possible to search
Publisher files, and that they are held in a binary type
file layout which is not supported by the Search facility,
I have now exhausted all avenues, if you don't beleive me
please try it for yourselves, if it works for you please
let me know. I am giving up.

0
anonymous (74722)
7/26/2004 9:59:22 AM
Well give up, as it works perfectly.
You obviously know better so why ask us mere dumb mortals.

0
brains (331)
7/26/2004 11:01:55 AM
gfam

0
anonymous (74722)
7/26/2004 11:15:46 AM
Go to the Folder in Windows Explorer, search from the toolbar, maybe it will work
from there.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
> Hi Mary, firstly, thank you very much indeed for
> responding, greatly appreciated, I still cannot get it to
> work, all of my publisher files are held in one directory,
> I know that one of the files has the word 'Alfred' in the
> text. I access the folder via windows explorer and go into
> the directory (Business), I then click the search option,
> all files and folders, the directory business is already
> defaulted within 'Look in',  I then type in the
> word 'Alfred' into the 'A word or Phrase in the file', and
> then click search, nothing is returned.
>
> Kindest Regards,
>
> Any further help would be appreciated.
>
> Steve Hurley.

0
gsauer (5093)
7/26/2004 11:42:03 AM
I experience the same failure doing a "Find" in my .pub files. I looked for
the word Messaggio which appears in over 100 .pub and .pdf files and not a
single item was found. I retried after exiting the virus program without
success. Seems you have discovered a new glitch.

I recently removed Findfast from my computer. Wonder if I took out something
I shouldn't have. Time to run sfc me thinks.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

> Hi Mary, firstly, thank you very much indeed for
> responding, greatly appreciated, I still cannot get it to
> work, all of my publisher files are held in one directory,
> I know that one of the files has the word 'Alfred' in the
> text. I access the folder via windows explorer and go into
> the directory (Business), I then click the search option,
> all files and folders, the directory business is already
> defaulted within 'Look in',  I then type in the
> word 'Alfred' into the 'A word or Phrase in the file', and
> then click search, nothing is returned.
>
> Kindest Regards,
>
> Any further help would be appreciated.
>
> Steve Hurley.

0
Retired (261)
7/26/2004 11:42:46 AM
Cheers Don, thanks for your comments, at least I am not
the only one with this problem, I have given up now,
primarily I do not have the time to chase this issue at
the momment, however if I do get a positive response,
rather than the totally obnoxious one from the the brain,
I will let you know, and maybe we can both do our searches
in peace and harmony.

Kindest Regards,

Steve
England

0
anonymous (74722)
7/26/2004 12:32:01 PM
Hi Mary, still no joy, I am afraid, a lot of the people in
my office have tried it, a lot on differing
hardware/software, but to no avail, I will have to give in
for the time been, more pressing things to do before end
of play, if I get get to the bottom of this problem I will
let everyone know (bar the Brain), who must be having a
bad day.

Kindest Regards, and many thanks, greatly appreciated.

Steve.
England

0
anonymous (74722)
7/26/2004 12:36:02 PM
Hi Don, use agentransack downloadable and free off the
web, works a treat....

Kindest Regards,

Steve.
England.

0
anonymous (74722)
7/26/2004 1:04:39 PM
Hi Mary, I have found a fix, albeit not within windows,
suprise, I am using AgentRansack, free off the web, works
fine...

Cheers

Steve....

0
anonymous (74722)
7/26/2004 1:07:35 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> Good Morning all, maybe I am thick, I need to search for
> specific text within several publisher files, is this
> possible, if so, how do I achieve this task..

Although you have already fixed the problem with a 3rd-party app, does your
version of Publisher have a File > File Search... option available?

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6344)
7/26/2004 1:36:36 PM
Hi anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
(anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com),
in the newsgroups
you posted:

|| Good Morning all, maybe I am thick, I need to search for
|| specific text within several publisher files, is this
|| possible, if so, how do I achieve this task..

AFAIK, Publisher files are not searchable within. I have never had any luck
doing so.
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim (1291)
7/26/2004 5:50:54 PM
Hi Ed Bennett (the_nerd@mvps.org),
in the newsgroups
you posted:

|| Although you have already fixed the problem with a 3rd-party app,
|| does your version of Publisher have a File > File Search... option
|| available?

Ed, while I know this feature exists, and it hasn't worked for me yet, I am
wondering if it requires Fast Indexing to be enabled? (which I refuse to
do).
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim (1291)
7/26/2004 5:53:02 PM
Hi, Brian:

It works for me in Publisher 2003. I don't have Fast Indexing turned on,
either. (With it turned on, searches may be faster, but everything else is
slower :( I don't do enough searching to make the sacrifice.)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:53:02 -0500, "Brian Kvalheim - [MSFT MVP]"
<bkvalheim@publishermvps.com> wrote:

>Hi Ed Bennett (the_nerd@mvps.org),
>in the newsgroups
>you posted:
>
>|| Although you have already fixed the problem with a 3rd-party app,
>|| does your version of Publisher have a File > File Search... option
>|| available?
>
>Ed, while I know this feature exists, and it hasn't worked for me yet, I am
>wondering if it requires Fast Indexing to be enabled? (which I refuse to
>do).

0
anonymous (74722)

Copy cell contents, then paste into the same cell with other text.
Hi! I tried a search first and couldn't find anything like this. My spreadsheet has a column for shipping that takes a series like this for each product: ?0.0*0.13.2*d*0x0x0:07:24:04 Following the question mark is the handling charge (0.0 in this example). This is followed by an * and then the weight of the item (0.13.2 in this example which is 13.2 ounces) I have a list of product weights in a colum with just pounds and ounces. I need to copy that information, then paste it into the weight area of the string above and then paste those modified contents back into t...

If Functin within Access query
Hi I am new to if functins and wondered if anybody can tell me what I am doing wrong. I am using Access 2003 and and trying to use the if function in a query It is one query based on another, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong SafetyTotal: [S1C]+[S2C]+[S3C]+[S4C]+[S5C]+[S6C]+[S7C]+[S8C]+[S9C]+[S10C]+[S11C]+[S12C]+[S13C]+[S14C]+[S15C]+[S16C]+[S17C]+[S18C]+[S19C]+[S20C]+[S21C] SafetyTraficLight: IIf([SafetyTotal]<=7,"GREEN",IIf([SafetyTotal]>=8<=14,"AMBER",IIf([SafetyTotal]>=15,"RED"))) The first 2 parts of the function will...

How to set include files in wince subproject 6.0
Hi I am creating application in wince 6.0, while build the source code I received build error. C:\WINCE600\public\common\sdk\inc\fsdmgr.h(35) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'diskio.h': No such file or directory Since i include the following path C:\WINCE600\PUBLIC\COMMON\OAK\INC to Tools->option->ProjectSolution->VC++Directory, Still i got the same error. Pls any one advise me how to add the include file in the root. Regards Venkat Set your include path in the following dialog Project-->Properties-->Configuration Properties-->...

Publisher documents have 'X's where images should be
Just this morning, Publisher documents have 'X's where Images are supposed to be. The images do not appear. I can click on the 'X', where the image is supposed to be, and the image can be viewed, but otherwise it is not seen or printed out. Was wondering if there is some setting that I should check or look at changing, or what other possibilities might be causing this issue. Thank you in advance for your help. Brian Stevens Brian Stevens wrote: > Just this morning, Publisher documents have 'X's where Images are > supposed to be. The images do not appear. &g...

How can I open files from a prev. version of Publisher in Pub 2000 #2
Is there a way to open files from an earlier version of Publisher in Publisher 2000? I have a file that I cannot access, that I believe was created in Publisher 97 or 98, that I need to access, but I get an error message that says it cannot be opened. You should be able to open it. Maybe it is a 2002 or 03 document. Do you have Norton? Disable script blocking and in Norton Options Office Plug ins. If that doesn't work send the files to me and I will convert them for you. Remove "my" to reply. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news:...

CSV Files #3
I am collecting data via a webpage. Is there a way of when the CSV file is imported into Excel (that if the user has pressed return/enter when completing the form) that this could be automatically deleted. Automatically deleted from the webserver or from a local folder ? The webserver is easy, make a script to delete it after you have downloaded. (that could be bad if you manage to delete or change the file..) The local folder...delete it manually. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages direc...

Office pro 2003
Office pro 2003 - Works 2004, Publisher 2003, Plus! Digital Media Ed OFFICE SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL V2003 (c) MICROSOFT [5 CDs] CD1=OFFICE 11 CD2=FRONTPAGE 2003 CD3=VISIO 2003 PRO CD4=PROJECT 2003 PRO CD5=ONENOTE 2003 SN: OFFICE11: GWH28-DGCMP-P6RC4-6J4MT-3HFDY SN: for REST: WFDWY-XQXJF-RHRYG-BG7RQ-BBDHM Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 Microsoft Works Suite 2004 [5 cdS] SN:QTXM8-56C9R-XQPRT-CTJJ8-PPGGD Plus! Digital Media Edition (c) Microsoft 12 337 we will help You to find any software which need Yo...

.accdt file reading
hi, i would like to read the data\content of a .accdt file... i've tried using teh oledbconnection.....with the below connection string.. Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033\Access\Core.acctb;Persist Security Info=False;"; OleDbConnection conn = new OleDbConnection(); but it failed... how can read .accdt file? any other alternative..please help out ...

site in publisher
watch http://www.sexomatic.be free pics and movies. Enjoy! ...

Access 2007 Special Effect Text Box Won't show Sunken with Window XP
Hi All I am just getting to grips with Access 2007 and one of the quirks I have found is that when I design using Windows in XP Windows-Classic colors and set the text boxes on forms' special effect property to "sunken" They appear as sunken in the correct manner. However, when I change to the Windows XP color scheme the forms text boxes appear flat even though the special effect property has not changed. Any ideas or is it a new quirk we have to live with. I haven't tried it with Vista yet. That should be interesting Thanks Bob "bobdydd" <reallyuseful2004...

separate file attachment from text body
Hi All, One of my users running outlook 2007 replies to a recipient; upon attaching a file, the attachment shows up in the text body. I notice this when replying to messages vs. starting new ones. Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. Thank you. -mike Check their format. Rich Text usually does this. Plain text and HTML insert the attachment into it's own field. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Mike" wrote: > Hi All, > > One of my users running outlook 2007 replies to a ...

publisher 2007 #29
before i buy publisher 2007 does it work with FIREFOX and other browers?? joe mahurter wrote: > before i buy publisher 2007 does it work with FIREFOX and other > browers?? ==================================== Apparently you are thinking of creating a website. Try posting your question in the following newsgroup: "Publisher Web Design" http://tinyurl.com/5l7mb5 or... http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign&lang=en&cr=US -- John Inzer MS-MVP Digital Media Experience Notice This is not ...

Exporting to a unicode text file
I'm trying to export my worksheet to a unicode text file and everytime I have a cell with a comma in it the exported file has double quotes around the text in that cell. Does anyone know how to disable this annoyance? ...

How to use an Excel 1997 files with line chart that have date & ti
I have many old Excel 1997 files with line graphs that show up the x axis date and time values. The old Excel 97 show about ever 10 or 20th date/time stamp in the x axis, but the new 2003 show only black spots at the bottom of the line graphs. How do I get Excel 2003 to produce a line graph to show time/scale data that has dates and times like the old Excel 97 did? ...

populate Keywords with a batch file?
I'd like to know how to create a batch file that can store a key word (including a trailing comma). I'd open an appropriate word.doc, run the batch file, and that keyword and comma would be inserted in the Keywords panel, either preceding any existing keywords there, or appended to any existing keywords there. So if I had multiple batch files, each embedded with their own unique keyword and comma, I could invoke certain ones as desired, one after another, progressively populating my document's keywords panel with multiple keywords all strung together with comma d...

Formatting a .txt file / fixed width
Hello: I have a text file that I need to edit. The fields in the text fil are all fixed length (not tabbed). For example: tzwaaaaaa lcust 000001waaaaaa lcust 7903 waaaaaa lcust 0078442040592 I would like to import a table of records like the one above in Exce and be able to add additional rows. The paramaters being: 1) where 000001 is, I will have to increment each row by one. 2) where 0078442040592 is will be a totally different number, but wit the same exact # of digits. When I save this "modified" file the field lengths must be exactly th sam...

Outlook 2003 Distribution list from a file?
Hi all, Please could someone tell me how I can build a Distribution List in Outlook 2003 using either a .txt a .csv or a .xls file. I have a list of 50 email addresses that I need to build into a distribution list, and I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a way of doing it. Thanks all, Stu You cannot import directly into a DL. If your addresses are formatted correctly, you can use the method outlined here: http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20041105.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Stu" <Stu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:443A0F24-0...

Privet file corrupted on Exchange Server
Hi all I have an Exchange Server 5.5! Suddenly I see that its work very slow! Restarting the server ... and when server booting its show me that there are some errors on the HDD. Press F1 to continue... The problem was on the HDD on which public folder stored! First error indicates that the folder f:\exchsrvr corrupted! Restarting the server second time ... on windows booting scan disk started.. Its show that 4 bad sectors on storage HDD! Now exchange service stopped! Trying to restore from backup! I have the same result! Services cannot start. How can I solve this problem! Help please! Excha...

Import/publish customizations programmatically (for picklist updating, e.g.)?
While you can query picklist values with CRMCustomization's RetrievePicklist method, there is no corresponding "setter" method or any other supported way to update those values programmatically. Mainly, I think, this is because picklists are contained in form XSL and thus must be published before taking effect. I can deal with that. I'm still seeking a programmatic solution, unsupported though it may be. The idea actually applies more generally than to just picklists: programmatically publishing customizations. But my immediate need is to periodically -- and aut...

conditional formatting on text string
Hi, I have an Access 2003 db that has a report in it. I am trying to do a conditional format on one of the fields so that if the text in the text box has the string "GCA" (w/out quotes) in it, that it will fill back color with blue, and the fore color (or the text) white. The field is named "Club Position" Looks like it can't be done using the "Field Value Is" condition, but perhaps there is an "expression Is" that I can use. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks. Conditional formatting using "Field Value Is" should work perfectly. ...

how does one publish/link together a multi page site?
the text box on my first page first stated: "The Wizard has automatically set up hyperlinks to the pages you selected. Simply fill the pages with your own content and your site is ready to post to the World Wide Web." when i try publishing the pages, only the first appears. the others can't be found. how does one link them all? do i have to enter addresses into "the wizard" somehow? please help! Don't use Publisher for websites... mary wrote: > the text box on my first page first stated: "The Wizard has automatically set > up hyperlinks to the ...

clicking on an MP3 file requires confirmation
Excel (2003) is offering a confirmation dialog whenever an url pointing to an MP3 file is clicked? Can this be (easily) disabled? ....or what is an approach to it for files on one's own hard drive. I am linking a list of vocabulary words in one field/column with an MP3 file name in another field/column with a formula using: =HYPERLINK(F1,E1) All MP3 files are local. ...

recalculates formulas when opening files last saved by an earlier.
Get message: recalculates formulas when opening files last saved by an earlier version of excel. How do I find out what and where the formulas are? Hi all formulas are re-calculated :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3DAB310A-9E42-4A84-9660-28224E362FC2@microsoft.com... > Get message: recalculates formulas when opening files last saved by an > earlier version of excel. > > How do I find out what and where the formulas are? and to find out what and where the formulas are do this...

Dates posted within a standard column chart
I have a regular column chart with dates at the bottom, and the columns are the # of cases made per week. I'm trying to include the dates the Case specifications were changed within the chart. I only want to have a point within the chart showing the date it was created within the dates already showing. For example, I have the dates of 10/1, 10/6, 10/13, and 10/20 on the X-axis. There are four columns per date. The dates of the specification changes are 10/9, 10/14, and 10/15. I'd like points showing on those dates with Version 1, Version 2, and Version 3 marked. Any ideas...

Outlook 2003
Is there a way to force all incoming email to be received as plain text in OL-2003? TIA -- howard How about: "Tools | Options | E-Mail Options | Read all standard mail in plain text"? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP Stockholm Consulting Group/KSG http://www.scgab.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr/computers/onenotefaq.htm **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Howard Cross" <no-spam@No-Spam.com> wrote in message ...