How to open MS publisher in an e-mail if you do not have Publisher

I have received an e-mail (in lotus Notes) with a MS Publisher attachment.
How can I read the doucment / print it?

--
sippy
0

Sippy

You can't.. there is no Publisher file viewer.. get the sender to convert
the file to .pdf format, and then you can open it in Adobe Reader..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have received an e-mail (in lotus Notes) with a MS Publisher attachment.
> How can I read the doucment / print it?
>

> --
> sippy

0
mikehalll (73)
2/10/2006 6:15:56 PM
Thanks

But why have Microsoft not made a viewer?   Microsoft have one for the rest
of the main office products what makes publisher so special?

I have subsequently, since submitting my question, seen the comments about
taking Publisher 2003 and after 30 days you have a viewer.  If it is that
easy why not just make one available?

All the best.
--
sippy

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Sippy
>
> You can't.. there is no Publisher file viewer.. get the sender to convert
> the file to .pdf format, and then you can open it in Adobe Reader..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have received an e-mail (in lotus Notes) with a MS Publisher attachment.
> > How can I read the doucment / print it?
> >

> > --
> > sippy

0
Sippy (3)
2/12/2006 4:05:26 AM
That's a good question and I don't know that anyone here can explain why
Microsoft does anything.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

> Thanks
>
> But why have Microsoft not made a viewer?   Microsoft have one for the
> rest
> of the main office products what makes publisher so special?
>
> I have subsequently, since submitting my question, seen the comments about
> taking Publisher 2003 and after 30 days you have a viewer.  If it is that
> easy why not just make one available?
>
> All the best.
> --
> sippy
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Sippy
>>
>> You can't.. there is no Publisher file viewer.. get the sender to convert
>> the file to .pdf format, and then you can open it in Adobe Reader..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have received an e-mail (in lotus Notes) with a MS Publisher
>> >attachment.
>> > How can I read the doucment / print it?
>> >

>> > --
>> > sippy

0
jl_paules1 (1069)
2/12/2006 4:12:34 AM
Sippy

To view a Publisher file, you need to have Publisher, The Application.. it
is true that after 30 days, a trial version of Publisher will lose all
abilities other than to view files, but that does not make it a Publisher
viewer per se.. where a Word or Excel viewer is quite small, Publisher is
huge and is excessively so for just wanting to view the odd Publisher file..

Why can't MS produce a Publisher viewer?.. simply because the document
formatting conventions of the application and, with all respect, all other
desktop publishing applications makes the production of a simple viewer
miniapp all but impossible..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks
>
> But why have Microsoft not made a viewer?   Microsoft have one for the
> rest
> of the main office products what makes publisher so special?
>
> I have subsequently, since submitting my question, seen the comments about
> taking Publisher 2003 and after 30 days you have a viewer.  If it is that
> easy why not just make one available?
>
> All the best.
> --
> sippy
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Sippy
>>
>> You can't.. there is no Publisher file viewer.. get the sender to convert
>> the file to .pdf format, and then you can open it in Adobe Reader..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have received an e-mail (in lotus Notes) with a MS Publisher
>> >attachment.
>> > How can I read the doucment / print it?
>> >

>> > --
>> > sippy

0
mikehalll (73)
2/12/2006 2:23:20 PM
Sippy <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to
utter:
> I have subsequently, since submitting my question, seen the comments
> about taking Publisher 2003 and after 30 days you have a viewer.  If
> it is that easy why not just make one available?

Because after the trial version expires, some unscrupulous people are able
to turn it back into the fully-functional version.  This is impossible with
the Word viewers.

The main problem is that Publisher is not as common as Word, Excel, or
PowerPoint, so there is not as much potential gain from creating a viewer.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6342)
2/12/2006 2:24:56 PM
JoAnn

Read my reply to the OP.. of all of the Office applications, Publisher is
the only one where elements in a document do not follow simple format
convention.. unlike Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc, everything in a Publisher
document is frame based, and recreating the frames in a simple viewer isn't
going to happen any time soon.. I recognise that people see a finished
document produced in Publisher, and do not differentiate between that and
something similar produced in Word, but you were the first to tell me that
the modus operandii was very different..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That's a good question and I don't know that anyone here can explain why
> Microsoft does anything.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks
>>
>> But why have Microsoft not made a viewer?   Microsoft have one for the
>> rest
>> of the main office products what makes publisher so special?
>>
>> I have subsequently, since submitting my question, seen the comments
>> about
>> taking Publisher 2003 and after 30 days you have a viewer.  If it is that
>> easy why not just make one available?
>>
>> All the best.
>> --
>> sippy
>>

>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>>> Sippy
>>>
>>> You can't.. there is no Publisher file viewer.. get the sender to
>>> convert
>>> the file to .pdf format, and then you can open it in Adobe Reader..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>>

>>> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
mikehalll (73)
2/12/2006 2:33:10 PM
I just recently tried to explain to someone who was editing my newsletter
why it's not a simple thing to rearrange the content. It's not rocket
science but at this point I was two and a half weeks past my submission
deadline and I was still getting information. I wanted to go to the printer
by last week and didn't make it until Wednesday after dinner. And she wants
to move Page 12 to Page 7 and move this little article to that page, etc.

She now has Publisher on her computer so I'm thinking about going up to her
home one Saturday this Spring and giving her a taste of what it's like.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mikehalll@mvps.org> wrote in message
> JoAnn
>
> Read my reply to the OP.. of all of the Office applications, Publisher is
> the only one where elements in a document do not follow simple format
> convention.. unlike Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc, everything in a Publisher
> document is frame based, and recreating the frames in a simple viewer
> isn't going to happen any time soon.. I recognise that people see a
> finished document produced in Publisher, and do not differentiate between
> that and something similar produced in Word, but you were the first to
> tell me that the modus operandii was very different..

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> That's a good question and I don't know that anyone here can explain why
>> Microsoft does anything.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>

>> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> But why have Microsoft not made a viewer?   Microsoft have one for the
>>> rest
>>> of the main office products what makes publisher so special?
>>>
>>> I have subsequently, since submitting my question, seen the comments
>>> about
>>> taking Publisher 2003 and after 30 days you have a viewer.  If it is
>>> that
>>> easy why not just make one available?
>>>
>>> All the best.
>>> --
>>> sippy

0
jl_paules1 (1069)
2/12/2006 3:58:33 PM
Mike, Ed and Jo

Thanks for your responses.   I understand the issues and I guess without the
demand, although there are plenty of the smae questions on the subject,
Microsoft would not want to put the devlopment effort into finding a way of
creating something that would allow others to read, without having to fund a
copy of Publisher.

I know I never mentioned it but I have a copy of Publisher 97 but the
Publisher document that I was sent was produced in another version, so
effectively giving me the same problem.

So here is another question, how easy would it be to create a patch/fix/view
capability to allow later versions to be read by earlier versions.    I
accept that some functinality may to transport backwards but at least it
might be possible to read.

Unfortunately because I was unable to find a quick fix I missed the
opportunity to comment on the document I was sent.

Again thanks for all the response, a frustarted Publisher user.

--
sippy

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Sippy
>
> To view a Publisher file, you need to have Publisher, The Application.. it
> is true that after 30 days, a trial version of Publisher will lose all
> abilities other than to view files, but that does not make it a Publisher
> viewer per se.. where a Word or Excel viewer is quite small, Publisher is
> huge and is excessively so for just wanting to view the odd Publisher file..
>
> Why can't MS produce a Publisher viewer?.. simply because the document
> formatting conventions of the application and, with all respect, all other
> desktop publishing applications makes the production of a simple viewer
> miniapp all but impossible..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks
> >
> > But why have Microsoft not made a viewer?   Microsoft have one for the
> > rest
> > of the main office products what makes publisher so special?
> >
> > I have subsequently, since submitting my question, seen the comments about
> > taking Publisher 2003 and after 30 days you have a viewer.  If it is that
> > easy why not just make one available?
> >
> > All the best.
> > --
> > sippy
> >

> > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Sippy
> >>
> >> You can't.. there is no Publisher file viewer.. get the sender to convert
> >> the file to .pdf format, and then you can open it in Adobe Reader..
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mike Hall
> >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >>

> >> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Sippy (3)
2/14/2006 3:44:27 AM
That won't happen. It's rare that they continue to add features to an old
version, especially since there have been several versions released since
Pub 97.

The best I can do is to offer to send you a .pdf file of that document. All
you'd be able to do is look at it tho.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

> Mike, Ed and Jo
>
> Thanks for your responses.   I understand the issues and I guess without
> the
> demand, although there are plenty of the smae questions on the subject,
> Microsoft would not want to put the devlopment effort into finding a way
> of
> creating something that would allow others to read, without having to fund
> copy of Publisher.
>
> I know I never mentioned it but I have a copy of Publisher 97 but the
> Publisher document that I was sent was produced in another version, so
> effectively giving me the same problem.
>
> So here is another question, how easy would it be to create a
> patch/fix/view
> capability to allow later versions to be read by earlier versions.    I
> accept that some functinality may to transport backwards but at least it
> might be possible to read.
>
> Unfortunately because I was unable to find a quick fix I missed the
> opportunity to comment on the document I was sent.
>
> Again thanks for all the response, a frustarted Publisher user.
>

> --
> sippy
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Sippy
>>
>> To view a Publisher file, you need to have Publisher, The Application..
>> it
>> is true that after 30 days, a trial version of Publisher will lose all
>> abilities other than to view files, but that does not make it a Publisher
>> viewer per se.. where a Word or Excel viewer is quite small, Publisher is
>> huge and is excessively so for just wanting to view the odd Publisher
>> file..
>>
>> Why can't MS produce a Publisher viewer?.. simply because the document
>> formatting conventions of the application and, with all respect, all
>> other
>> desktop publishing applications makes the production of a simple viewer
>> miniapp all but impossible..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > But why have Microsoft not made a viewer?   Microsoft have one for the
>> > rest
>> > of the main office products what makes publisher so special?
>> >
>> > I have subsequently, since submitting my question, seen the comments
>> > about
>> > taking Publisher 2003 and after 30 days you have a viewer.  If it is
>> > that
>> > easy why not just make one available?
>> >
>> > All the best.
>> > --
>> > sippy

0
jl_paules1 (1069)
2/14/2006 4:34:28 AM
JoAnn, you could send him back a pdf of the file and at least he could do a
copy/paste of the text.

--
Don
"May your shadow be found in happy places." (Native North American)

> That won't happen. It's rare that they continue to add features to an old
> version, especially since there have been several versions released since
> Pub 97.
>
> The best I can do is to offer to send you a .pdf file of that document.
> All you'd be able to do is look at it tho.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Mike, Ed and Jo
>>
>> Thanks for your responses.   I understand the issues and I guess without
>> the
>> demand, although there are plenty of the smae questions on the subject,
>> Microsoft would not want to put the devlopment effort into finding a way
>> of
>> creating something that would allow others to read, without having to
>> fund a
>> copy of Publisher.
>>
>> I know I never mentioned it but I have a copy of Publisher 97 but the
>> Publisher document that I was sent was produced in another version, so
>> effectively giving me the same problem.
>>
>> So here is another question, how easy would it be to create a
>> patch/fix/view
>> capability to allow later versions to be read by earlier versions.    I
>> accept that some functinality may to transport backwards but at least it
>> might be possible to read.
>>
>> Unfortunately because I was unable to find a quick fix I missed the
>> opportunity to comment on the document I was sent.
>>
>> Again thanks for all the response, a frustarted Publisher user.
>>

>> --
>> sippy
>>

>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>>> Sippy
>>>
>>> To view a Publisher file, you need to have Publisher, The Application..
>>> it
>>> is true that after 30 days, a trial version of Publisher will lose all
>>> abilities other than to view files, but that does not make it a
>>> Publisher
>>> viewer per se.. where a Word or Excel viewer is quite small, Publisher
>>> is
>>> huge and is excessively so for just wanting to view the odd Publisher
>>> file..
>>>
>>> Why can't MS produce a Publisher viewer?.. simply because the document
>>> formatting conventions of the application and, with all respect, all
>>> other
>>> desktop publishing applications makes the production of a simple viewer
>>> miniapp all but impossible..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>>

>>> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Don
2/14/2006 5:38:56 AM
Send it to:

jl dot paules at gmail dot com

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Don Schmidt" <Don Retired Engineer@PNB.1987> wrote in message
> JoAnn, you could send him back a pdf of the file and at least he could do
> a copy/paste of the text.
>

> --
> Don
> "May your shadow be found in happy places." (Native North American)
>

> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> That won't happen. It's rare that they continue to add features to an old
>> version, especially since there have been several versions released since
>> Pub 97.
>>
>> The best I can do is to offer to send you a .pdf file of that document.
>> All you'd be able to do is look at it tho.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>

>> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Mike, Ed and Jo
>>>
>>> Thanks for your responses.   I understand the issues and I guess without
>>> the
>>> demand, although there are plenty of the smae questions on the subject,
>>> Microsoft would not want to put the devlopment effort into finding a way
>>> of
>>> creating something that would allow others to read, without having to
>>> fund a
>>> copy of Publisher.
>>>
>>> I know I never mentioned it but I have a copy of Publisher 97 but the
>>> Publisher document that I was sent was produced in another version, so
>>> effectively giving me the same problem.
>>>
>>> So here is another question, how easy would it be to create a
>>> patch/fix/view
>>> capability to allow later versions to be read by earlier versions.    I
>>> accept that some functinality may to transport backwards but at least it
>>> might be possible to read.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately because I was unable to find a quick fix I missed the
>>> opportunity to comment on the document I was sent.
>>>
>>> Again thanks for all the response, a frustarted Publisher user.
>>>

>>> --
>>> sippy

0
jl_paules1 (1069)
2/14/2006 6:28:59 AM
If you need to edit your document I can convert it to Publisher 97, a lot of
formatting will be lost but you probably can fix it when you edit.

gsauer at columbus dot rr dot com

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mike, Ed and Jo
>
> Thanks for your responses.   I understand the issues and I guess without the
> demand, although there are plenty of the smae questions on the subject,
> Microsoft would not want to put the devlopment effort into finding a way of
> creating something that would allow others to read, without having to fund a
> copy of Publisher.
>
> I know I never mentioned it but I have a copy of Publisher 97 but the
> Publisher document that I was sent was produced in another version, so
> effectively giving me the same problem.
>
> So here is another question, how easy would it be to create a patch/fix/view
> capability to allow later versions to be read by earlier versions.    I
> accept that some functinality may to transport backwards but at least it
> might be possible to read.
>
> Unfortunately because I was unable to find a quick fix I missed the
> opportunity to comment on the document I was sent.
>
> Again thanks for all the response, a frustarted Publisher user.
>

> --
> sippy
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Sippy
>>
>> To view a Publisher file, you need to have Publisher, The Application.. it
>> is true that after 30 days, a trial version of Publisher will lose all
>> abilities other than to view files, but that does not make it a Publisher
>> viewer per se.. where a Word or Excel viewer is quite small, Publisher is
>> huge and is excessively so for just wanting to view the odd Publisher file..
>>
>> Why can't MS produce a Publisher viewer?.. simply because the document
>> formatting conventions of the application and, with all respect, all other
>> desktop publishing applications makes the production of a simple viewer
>> miniapp all but impossible..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Sippy" <Sippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > But why have Microsoft not made a viewer?   Microsoft have one for the
>> > rest
>> > of the main office products what makes publisher so special?
>> >
>> > I have subsequently, since submitting my question, seen the comments about
>> > taking Publisher 2003 and after 30 days you have a viewer.  If it is that
>> > easy why not just make one available?
>> >
>> > All the best.
>> > --
>> > sippy

0
gsauer (5093)

MS RMS Store Operations Study Guide?
Does any one have this? I would like to get certified but I don't have the $298 to buy it. http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/retailmanagementsystem/using/rms_elearning.mspx Thanks, Jho After purchasing RMS in January I was told that the User's Guide (which could bethe basis of study) was no longer available in printed form. After finally gaining access to CustomerSource, I found it available for download (all 536 pages of it). Yesterday, my RMS tech told me that it is again being shipped with new purchases of RMS. You do have to be a support customer to access the s...

Mysterious e-mails
i keep getting e-mails that look and appear that they have come from people either in my phone book or in some cases from people that have ligitimately e-mailed me or that I have e-mailed. In fact the e-mail has come from somewhere else even though the sender appears to be ligitimate. Most of these e-mails are dated 3 or four weeks old and show that they have been read in my inbox. I've asked a few people if they have forwarded the mail to me but they havn't. Most e-mails are selling Viagra or some other product. ??? any clue ??? Thanks in advance You're being spammed. First...

Outlook 2000 not opening.

Mail will not Send/Receive automatically
I have outlook set up to send/receive every minute but it suddenly stopped doing so. Anyone have ideas why? Robin Several. For starters, a one minute polling interval is just nuts. It is difficult to determine why automatic polling is failing when you do not post your mail account type, connection type and polling settings. If automatic polling once worked and now fails, you also need to examine what changes were made to your setup before automatic polling stopped working. In general, here are the reasons automatic polling might fail in Outlook: 1. You have created an unrealistic po...

Outlook Mail via a PROXY SERVER?
If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer using a PROXY server on the host (first) computer. I can access the net using the PROXY settings on the Internet explorer. However, how do I download mail with OUTLOOK 2000? The proxy server is CCPROXY from YoungZSoft (this runs on XP) and it has the MAIL Settings enabled but the difficulty is what to do on the Second computer? Thanks, -- John jrg_REM_SPAM@bigpond.net.au That would be determined by the proxy manufacturer - check with their support. JM7 wrote: > If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer ...

Mail enabled public folders / spam
Hello, For each of my users inbox I have exchange mark mail with the SCL and move anything over my threshold into their junk mail folder. This works pretty well and eliminates nearly all of the spam we get. I have not thus far managed to work out how to get this working for mail enabled public folders. How can I set this up (perhaps nominating anotehr folder as the 'junk mail' folder) or something similar? TIA, Nick ...

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

WLM Beta Junk Mail Filter
The junk mail filters has stopped filtering mail. The address shows in the list of blocked addresses but the mail is not filtered. The filter worked fine in WLM but I don't think it has worked since I loaded the Beta. Where exactly are you looking when you say the address is the same as the one in your Blocked Senders? The From line may not show the true entry, look at the entry in the From field you see after pressing Ctrl+F3 on that message. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "DickW2" wrote in message news:O7$LTHNMLHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... T...

Publisher can not save file

OEM publisher 2002 Sp1-2

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Mail Merge to business cards
I am working on a huge project for work, creating Employee Photo ID cards. I have created a database for all the information including a hyperlink column for the photos. and am using business cards to print them on. I have two frustrating problems... 1. The pictures aren't loading into the cards. 2. I continue to get the error message "Publisher cannont merge with this number of pages" even though I have followed the instructions for the workaround. Any suggestions? Thanks Rita ...

Using Publisher 200 with Publisher 2003

how to know how many e-mail each user receives per day?
We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. I would like to know how to get an average of how many e-mails each users send and receives per day. ...

Auto Delete the e-mail
Hi all We are using Microsoft Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003. One mail box calls "Sales", i configured the achieve function for this mail box, this function will automatically delete mail if the mail is order than 7 days. But this function is not running if the outlook closed, is it possible this function running on server only, no need to open Microsoft Outlook for running the achieve function in client PC ? Philip In news:uApBq0j8FHA.2800@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl, Philip Tsang <philip@sib-infotech.com> typed: > Hi all > > We are using Microsoft Exchange 2003...

Mail merge from excel
I am trying to merge a list of names from excel into publisher. When using the mail merge wizard it wont let me load the names all it says is f1 and f2. what am I doing wrong? any help is greatly appreciated. ...

Cannot Drag Open Desktop Screen
Hi: I have a friend running XP MCE (2005) SP3 and he cannot drag an open screen on his desktop by Left clicking and holding cursor on the top of screen. Any suggestions as to how to remedy this problem of not being able to drag a screen will be appreciated Thanks, ColTom2. On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:48:43 -0400, "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote: >Hi: > > I have a friend running XP MCE (2005) SP3 and he cannot drag an open >screen on his desktop by Left clicking and holding cursor on the top of >screen. > > A...