How to get newsletter on the web

We currently publish a newsletter that is 16 ~ 20 pages.  Our January
newsletter was 16 pages and the pub file (pub 2002) is 25mb.  I can save it
as a PDF file and it shrinks it to 7.5mb.  If I save all the pages as jpegs,
reduce them to 75dpi and then save as a PDF, then we're down to 3.5mb.

Is this my best option?  I'd like to be able to get the file size even
smaller.  I am saving the pages as 8.5 x 11 pages.  Should I make them
smaller than that?  We're just getting started with a website and would like
to put up our newsletters, but I'd like to get them small enough so that
folks on dialup don't have to wait forever and a day to load the newsletter.

Thanks,
Kristie

Changing the physical size probably won't make a great deal of difference to
the file size but it could trash the quality of the file when people like me
have to enlarge it just so we can read it.

Try breaking your newsletter down into chunks. Create a separate .pdf file
for every 5 pages and see what that gets you. I also publish a newsletter
that is mailed and then posted on the web. My largest newsletter was about
5.5M in .pdf form. My online readers were thrilled but I did explain that it
would take a while to download. My next step is to break it down. Yes, they
will still spend x period of time total to download it but at least it won't
tie up the phone line for an extended period of time.

Also, if you have any personal information (addresses, phone numbers, etc)
you may want to consider a protected page for your newsletter.

"Kristie Cochran" <kmcochran@notgettinme.com> wrote in message
> We currently publish a newsletter that is 16 ~ 20 pages.  Our January
> newsletter was 16 pages and the pub file (pub 2002) is 25mb.  I can save
it
> as a PDF file and it shrinks it to 7.5mb.  If I save all the pages as
jpegs,
> reduce them to 75dpi and then save as a PDF, then we're down to 3.5mb.
>
> Is this my best option?  I'd like to be able to get the file size even
> smaller.  I am saving the pages as 8.5 x 11 pages.  Should I make them
> smaller than that?  We're just getting started with a website and would
like
> to put up our newsletters, but I'd like to get them small enough so that
> folks on dialup don't have to wait forever and a day to load the
newsletter.

> Thanks,
> Kristie

0
jl_amerson (3088)
2/13/2004 3:10:32 PM
I make available our lodge's monthly news letter on a site.  The pages
average about 100kb per page using PDF-XChange to create the pdf file.
PDF-XChange is known for doing a better job of compressing that Adobe
Acrobat.

You are invited to see our newsletters at:

http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs

Select the Il Messaggio Archive page and click on any underscored date.
2004 files were created from pub 2000 using PDF-XChange ver. 3.0.
Earlier pdf files were created using ver 2.5

Click on a tune and enjoy the visit.

You can get more information on PDF-XChange including a trial version at:

http://www.docu-track.com/

Ciao,

Don

"Kristie Cochran" <kmcochran@notgettinme.com> wrote in message
> We currently publish a newsletter that is 16 ~ 20 pages.  Our January
> newsletter was 16 pages and the pub file (pub 2002) is 25mb.  I can save
it
> as a PDF file and it shrinks it to 7.5mb.  If I save all the pages as
jpegs,
> reduce them to 75dpi and then save as a PDF, then we're down to 3.5mb.
>
> Is this my best option?  I'd like to be able to get the file size even
> smaller.  I am saving the pages as 8.5 x 11 pages.  Should I make them
> smaller than that?  We're just getting started with a website and would
like
> to put up our newsletters, but I'd like to get them small enough so that
> folks on dialup don't have to wait forever and a day to load the
newsletter.

> Thanks,
> Kristie

---

Engineer1 (288)
2/13/2004 7:28:57 PM
Hi Don,

I'll take a look.   How big is your pub file though?  Like I said in my
message, mine is 25mb, so I'll see if PDF-XChange will make it any smaller
than 7.5mb.

I currently use the freeware PDFCreator,
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ to create my PDFs.  If
PDF-XChange can do a better job, then I'll purchase it.  I do have the site
bookmarked from an earlier post on this board.

Kristie

"Don Schmidt" <Retired Engineer@PNB.usa> wrote in message
> I make available our lodge's monthly news letter on a site.  The pages
> average about 100kb per page using PDF-XChange to create the pdf file.
> PDF-XChange is known for doing a better job of compressing that Adobe
> Acrobat.
>
> You are invited to see our newsletters at:
>
> http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs
>
> Select the Il Messaggio Archive page and click on any underscored date.
> 2004 files were created from pub 2000 using PDF-XChange ver. 3.0.
> Earlier pdf files were created using ver 2.5
>
> Click on a tune and enjoy the visit.
>
> You can get more information on PDF-XChange including a trial version at:
>
> http://www.docu-track.com/
>
> Ciao,
>
> Don

Great question Kristie,

The pdf files contain a bit more  printed information because they are a
copy of the e-mail version of the newsletter which I use the third of the
front side reserved for addressing for the US Mail I add some information
titled, "e-mailers bonus". It usually has something to do with computers.

From the 2003 issues of Il Messaggio.  They are all two pages.

All are Kbs
Pub        pdf
1124    138    Jan
2303    79      Feb
3826    133    Mar
12384  1057  Apr
9347    89      May
2899    215    Jun
9389    161    Jul

Take care,

Don

> Hi Don,
>
> I'll take a look.   How big is your pub file though?  Like I said in my
> message, mine is 25mb, so I'll see if PDF-XChange will make it any smaller
> than 7.5mb.
>
> I currently use the freeware PDFCreator,
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ to create my PDFs.  If
> PDF-XChange can do a better job, then I'll purchase it.  I do have the
site
> bookmarked from an earlier post on this board.
>
> Kristie
>

> "Don Schmidt" <Retired Engineer@PNB.usa> wrote in message
> > I make available our lodge's monthly news letter on a site.  The pages
> > average about 100kb per page using PDF-XChange to create the pdf file.
> > PDF-XChange is known for doing a better job of compressing that Adobe
> > Acrobat.
> >
> > You are invited to see our newsletters at:
> >
> > http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs
> >
> > Select the Il Messaggio Archive page and click on any underscored date.
> > 2004 files were created from pub 2000 using PDF-XChange ver. 3.0.
> > Earlier pdf files were created using ver 2.5
> >
> > Click on a tune and enjoy the visit.
> >
> > You can get more information on PDF-XChange including a trial version
at:

> > http://www.docu-track.com/
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
> > Don

---

Engineer1 (288)

getting specific info from a word document into excel
I am trying to import a table of data from another programme into excel to create a chart. The table that i am importing is not in table format and is just a word document which looks like a table. Most of the data in the document is words and symbols but I need to highlight the two collumns of numbers only and somehow get them into individual cells in excel. I am having real difficulty doing this as when I try to highlight the collumn and drag down it highlights the whole document as per normal word behaviour. If anyone has any ideas on solving my problem using any aspect of office the...

Web store software
I use RMS for my physical retail store and I plan to open a web store. What storefront, shopping cart software do you recommend that is hosted by an ISP, highly customizable, and can possibly integrate with RMS database? I tried Miva and OpenUI hosted on Value Web but it's been a disaster. It just does not work! Try: www.newestech.com Jim Janke Emerald Business Systems "mas" <mas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:519092F4-54F9-4746-AD62-582DB999BAB0@microsoft.com... > I use RMS for my physical retail store and I plan to open a web store. What >...

help with web service
I need help on a simple web service. I need to pull data from a single field on the product record into the quote product. I have tried to learn to do this and I think I can write the code, but building dlls and where to put the code is where I get stuck. I have hunted for a tutorial on building a web service from beginning to end and can't find anything. I am almost to the point of paying someone to write it for me and tell me where to place it so I can move on with my project. Is anyone out there who might be willing to help? -Programmer Wanne Be On Jan 9, 9:19=A0pm, Meliss...

Publish calendar to web
I publish a calendar to a web page. Some events are marked as private, and they don't get published. My problem is that where the private event is, a label showing "Free" or "Busy" shows up on the calendar. I'd rather just have an empty spot. There doesn't seem to be a way of selecting "none" for free/busy label. This did not happen with Office 2000, but started with the Office 2002 upgrade. How can I get rid of the labels? Thanks in advance. ...

Add user log-in/password feature to a web page using Publisher 200
I would like to have a "Members" tab on the first page of my Publisher 2003 document that I have created to upload to my website. Does anyone know if Publisher 2003 has the feature to create "log in/password" feature or is this a plug-in or third party application that I add to publisher. Thank you. Tom, Toronto Look to your webhost for password protected folders, pages or sections of your site. Go to the FAQs section or the support section of the ISP that is hosting your site, and look for directions. It will vary from host to host as to how you would implement ...

Best way to get from Pub to Word?
Hi again, Is there a way to either export to or save a .pub file so that Word will open it? I need to email files from publisher to people but, of course, if they don't own Publisher program they cannot open it, whereas, Word and Word Perfect seem to have an interchange going and most can open it there. Or maybe there is another work around????If so , please tell me, it would save me from taking all of my pub files and converting them. Thanks Catt Catt <Catt@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I need to email files from publisher to people but, of ...

newsletter in email
Iwant to insert a newsletter I created in Publisher 2002 in an email message from Outlook 2002. I want the reciepient to view the newsletter as soon as the message is opened, in the body of the message. I do not want the newsletter as an attachment. refer to http://www.microsoft.com/office/previous/xp/columns/column16.asp -- David Bartosik - Microsoft MVP Visit www.davidbartosik.com for Publisher and Web Design Tips and How-to's. "mark" <mburrall@wi.rr.com> wrote in message news:02fd01c39756$383561b0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Iwant to insert a newsletter I created...

Get External Data
I have the Office 2003 Student and Teacher edition of Office 2003 on my home computer. I have occasion to use the Get External Data, New Database Query function in some of the work I bring home from work. On my version it says it is not installed. Does the Student and Teacher edition of Office 2003 in Excel have that option or will I need to upgrade to a different edition to get that function? Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany John wrote: > I have the Office 2003 Student and Teacher edition of > Office 2003 on my home computer. I have occasio...

Get Report Name
I have a report selection form that allows the user to select multiple reports to preview. They have the ability to check a box that automatically sends each report to a separate pdf with a predefined name and path, using the CreateReportToPDF code by Stephen Lebans. What I want to do now is allow the user to preview multiple reports but selectively send reports to pdf. I have a custom reports tool bar, I’ve added a button but can’t figure out how to determine the name of the report the user is viewing. Thanks for your help, Jim Not sure but, I imagine you could loop through the R...

get cell of function
Hi Can I somehow determine, in which column (A,B,C,...) a selfmade function is called? Or: Can I tell the function, placed f.e. in cell C1, to loop through the column left (in this example B) of it? thanks lot for help materphilch Dim rng as Range set rng = Application.Caller to see the value: MsgBox(rng.address) Gary's Student "masterphilch" wrote: > Hi > > Can I somehow determine, in which column (A,B,C,...) a selfmade function > is called? > Or: Can I tell the function, placed f.e. in cell C1, to loop through the > column left (in this example ...

Get Subform Data
I'm looking for a way to get the data from a chosen record in a continuous subform. I have a customer form and a continuous subform with all of the charges associated with the customer. Is it possible to have a button on the form, prompt the user to highlight a record (the charge info.) in the continuous subform and get the information about the charge? If there is not a way to do this, I'm pretty sure that I can achieve what I want to do via a list box. Open the subform in design view, and set its Record Selectors property to Yes. (This is a property of the Form, not o...

Problem getting values in iframe
Hi, I have placed an iframe to the account form. This iframe calls an .aspx page that is also placed on the same server as the CRM. I am trying to get an value from the CRM form to the .aspx page in the iFrame. my function that I call upon "onLoad": <script language="javascript"> function GetSomeValues() { document.getElementById('TextBox1').value = parent.document.forms[0].all.name.DataValue; } </script> This fails! I get the message: "Access denied!" Is there any setting in the CRM I have forgotten to turn on or off?? Can a...

Frontpage and web site hits
I have multiple web sites built with Frontpage 2002. I'd like to maximize my sites in Internet searches. Has anyone put together just what things you can do inside Frontpage to maximize your number of hits? Many thanks for any and all ideas on this, Mark I think I can help. Open your site and select the index page. Go to File / Properties / Custom Under User Variables.... choose Add Name = keywords Description = <words that describe your site... that you'd like to be searched on> This will make a difference.... but only if you're honest.... the search...

"How do I get rid of old records in an Pivot Table?
The spreadsheet gets copied each month to a new file and the data cleared out, BUT the selecetion in the Pivot Table still holds the data from Previous spreadsheets Debra Dalgleish has some techniques at: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html AyPee wrote: > > The spreadsheet gets copied each month to a new file and the data cleared > out, BUT the selecetion in the Pivot Table still holds the data from Previous > spreadsheets -- Dave Peterson The web-link was very helpful, thank you. I was about to reprogram and build my pivot tables to get rid of the obsolete item...

OWA using a new Web Site
I have recently Installed SBS 2000, by default OWA is operational from the default web site. I have created several new sites in IIS and created the necessary virtual directories to gain access to the exchange mail server. However when I try to go in via a web browser I get the folder/file listing view in IE rather than the templates. All of the settings between the default virtual folders and the domain I wish to use are the same and I am stumped. I can still access the template from the server by going to the address http://localhost/Exchange at the server Any assistance would be apprec...

How do I get my Publisher file to download from my website
My Publisher file will not download from my website. Also, when I open it on my computer, it says it is a print version. What do I need to do to save the print version in a format that download by visitors to my website who do not have publisher? Upload a .pdf file instead of the Publisher format. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Dr. Boney" <Dr. Boney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15AAFEC1-9C4B-46C3-A16E-548F9ADE11ED@microsoft.com... > My Publisher file will not download...

Get SQL Business Alerts to work with Manufacturing Tables
I was surprised during recent project that SQL Business Alerts did not work with any manufacturing tables. In our situation we wanted ECN's (from Engineering Change Module) to work with SQL Business Alerts so that users would know a new ECN had been created. The inconsistently in our (Microsoft Great Plains) product is still an issue. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this ...

REPOST Re: Trying to get mailbox lock from process
Has anyone made any headway on this issue? I am currently trying to determine if any informative messages are logged on the server side. --=C ####################### Hi Brent, Is it possible the mailbox is being accessed by another client at the same time? -Michael On 10/21/04 12:38 PM, in article BD9D5E5D.473D%brent@hazmatexplo.org, "Brent DeCracker" <brent@hazmatexplo.org> wrote: >> Michael, >> >> Just to throw my two cents in - I'm having the same problem, and it didn't >> occur until I upgraded to 11.1. I've been using th...

How to get the locale setting?
I want to get the locale setting user sets from Control Panel->Regional Options. Based on that I would setlocale() to show the date and time value appropriate for the region. Any idea help would be appreciated... >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >Dhirendra wrote: >> I want to get the locale setting user sets from Control >> Panel->Regional Options. Based on that I would setlocale () >> to show the date and time value appropriate for the region. > >How about GetLocaleInfo() ? > >GetLocaleInfo >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/in...

Posting/publishing to the web
I have a detailed excel spreadsheet - with multiple pages, range names, formulas and control box objects (check boxes and drop down lists). Is there any way to get this to be a web page and allow the same functionality to remain ? interactivity and checkboxes (some formulas are based on results in the text box so I need it all). I tried the publish function but that didnt carry over the control boxes, some conditional formatting and I think a few minor things. IF Excel cant do it - can anyone recommend a software package that can ? Thanks !! Yosef ...

Convert newsletter on Publisher 2007 to a PDF/Save Newsletter as I
How do I convert my newsletter that I created on Publisher 2007 to a PDF so that I can attach the PDF to an email? How do I save the newsletter as an image, so that I can paste it on an email? See in line: On 6/12/07 1:22 AM, in article 313A2C1E-9322-4AE2-ABB8-F607B92CDEEB@microsoft.com, "blueprince999" <blueprince999@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I convert my newsletter that I created on Publisher 2007 to a PDF so > that I can attach the PDF to an email? Either get a PDF generator such as Cute PDF, Primo PDF, or some-such (for which you can Google) or...

getting newsgroups on outlook 2003
how do you et news groups on outlook, have had express before but hit a brick wall with this Sorry outlook isn't setup to handle newsgroups. It will launch outlook express, or whatever program you have as the default newsreader, by going to 'go' then 'news,' but it won't handle them by itself. "Deaksy" <Deaksy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82B92080-F005-4183-AB42-23F9B4F70C1C@microsoft.com... > how do you et news groups on outlook, have had express before but hit a > brick > wall with this On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:53:...

Trouble getting back on line after router is shut off....
Doesn't XP flush the IP address when it's shut off so it's ready for a new one when you restart it? The reason I ask is: I have a Linksys WRTP54G wireless router that has 2 phone ports for use with the Vonage phone company. When we have electrical strorms I unplug everything including my cable connection to my modem, the router and of course the 'puter. After the storm it can take me up to 45 minutes to get an internet connection again. The setup is a Surfboard cable modem that feeds the Linksys then to one of my motherboard's 2 ethernet connectors. When pow...

Does anybody know how to get the pure html from the webbrowser control
Hi, Does anybody know how to get the pure html. I am using the webbrowser control in MFC application and loading the HTML page. Here we are allowing to edit the page too. we need to get the content of the "view source" functionlaity, meaning whatever we are seeing in the view source.I tried innertext,outertext etc but they are giving only the content that is seen in the HTML view Thanks in advance, Balaji "Balaji" <bala7_g@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23jk010hSEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > Does anybody know how to get the pure html. I am us...

Why doesn't active quote get used in Pipeline report?
Here's the scenario I'm trying to model: 1. Create opportunity. Manually enter a ballpark figure of $10,000. 2. Work the opportunity a bit, and determine the needs. 3. Create a quote, adding existing products, for a total of $15,000, and activate it. 4. Run the pipeline report. Revenue is $10,000 5. Go to opportunity and change to system-calculated. 6. Save and close. 7. Run pipeline Result: Revenue is zero. Expected Result: Revenus is $15,000 I'd expect that if I activate a quote, the quote now drives the forecast revenue for that opportunity. I would expect that when I acti...