How do I recover a Microsoft Publisher autosave file not saved

1. Is there a way to change the location of the autosave file?
2. Save AutoRecover info every: was set to 10 minutes. File not saved had
been worked on for over an hour. If the file is not saved, is not the file
Autorecover save - unsaved pub1(7DE6).pb19 (sample name) in c:\documents and
settings/(user name)\application data\microsoft\publisher deleted in a way
that it can not be recovered?
1
techcoor (3)

Did you look in the Temp folder? In Windows Explorer, type %temp% in the
address bar. Find any file with a pub prefix, change the .tmp to .pub. You
may get lucky. If you didn't actually save the file, there probably isn't
anything to recover.

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"techcoor" <techcoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 1. Is there a way to change the location of the autosave file?
> 2. Save AutoRecover info every: was set to 10 minutes. File not saved had
> been worked on for over an hour. If the file is not saved, is not the file
> Autorecover save - unsaved pub1(7DE6).pb19 (sample name) in c:\documents
> and
> settings/(user name)\application data\microsoft\publisher deleted in a way
> that it can not be recovered?

0
mary.sauer (2018)
10/5/2009 5:57:58 PM
Yes, I did look in the Temp folder and did not see anything. I also looked at
the c:\documents and settings\(user)\application data\Microsoft\Publisher
then repeat the steps the user made and the Autorecover save - unsaved
pub1(7DE6).pb19 went away and a pubcmd.dat appears. However the pubcmd.dat
seems to be a toolbar setting file and has nothing to do with the file not
saved.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Did you look in the Temp folder? In Windows Explorer, type %temp% in the
> address bar. Find any file with a pub prefix, change the .tmp to .pub. You
> may get lucky. If you didn't actually save the file, there probably isn't
> anything to recover.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "techcoor" <techcoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > 1. Is there a way to change the location of the autosave file?
> > 2. Save AutoRecover info every: was set to 10 minutes. File not saved had
> > been worked on for over an hour. If the file is not saved, is not the file
> > Autorecover save - unsaved pub1(7DE6).pb19 (sample name) in c:\documents
> > and
> > settings/(user name)\application data\microsoft\publisher deleted in a way
> > that it can not be recovered?

0
techcoor (3)
10/5/2009 11:46:01 PM
The file is gone.

AutoRecover is useful if you have a power failure or similar, the file will be
recovered. In that event the file will turn up in the temp folder after the
recovery. The file will automatically come up when you open Publisher after the
computer failure.

--

> Yes, I did look in the Temp folder and did not see anything. I also looked at
> the c:\documents and settings\(user)\application data\Microsoft\Publisher
> then repeat the steps the user made and the Autorecover save - unsaved
> pub1(7DE6).pb19 went away and a pubcmd.dat appears. However the pubcmd.dat
> seems to be a toolbar setting file and has nothing to do with the file not
> saved.
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Did you look in the Temp folder? In Windows Explorer, type %temp% in the
>> address bar. Find any file with a pub prefix, change the .tmp to .pub. You
>> may get lucky. If you didn't actually save the file, there probably isn't
>> anything to recover.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "techcoor" <techcoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > 1. Is there a way to change the location of the autosave file?
>> > 2. Save AutoRecover info every: was set to 10 minutes. File not saved had
>> > been worked on for over an hour. If the file is not saved, is not the file
>> > Autorecover save - unsaved pub1(7DE6).pb19 (sample name) in c:\documents
>> > and
>> > settings/(user name)\application data\microsoft\publisher deleted in a way
>> > that it can not be recovered?

0
mary.sauer (2018)
10/6/2009 10:11:03 AM

"Mary Sauer" <mary.sauer@mygmail.com> wrote in message
> The file is gone.
>
> AutoRecover is useful if you have a power failure or similar, the file
> will be recovered. In that event the file will turn up in the temp folder
> after the recovery. The file will automatically come up when you open
> Publisher after the computer failure.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "techcoor" <techcoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, I did look in the Temp folder and did not see anything. I also
>> looked at
>> the c:\documents and settings\(user)\application data\Microsoft\Publisher
>> then repeat the steps the user made and the Autorecover save - unsaved
>> pub1(7DE6).pb19 went away and a pubcmd.dat appears. However the
>> pubcmd.dat
>> seems to be a toolbar setting file and has nothing to do with the file
>> not
>> saved.
>>
>> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>>
>>> Did you look in the Temp folder? In Windows Explorer, type %temp% in the
>>> address bar. Find any file with a pub prefix, change the .tmp to .pub.
>>> You
>>> may get lucky. If you didn't actually save the file, there probably
>>> isn't
>>> anything to recover.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mary Sauer
>>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>>
>>> "techcoor" <techcoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mary, I think we went down this road once before.  If I am reading the OP
correctly he never saved the file at all after working on it for an hour.
Auto save doesn't work unless it has been saved once, correct?

Isn't any auto-recovery file deleted after a successful shut down of
Publisher and is only kept if a crash of Publisher occurs?

0
none6506 (74)
10/7/2009 1:03:09 AM
I know sometimes Publisher saves a file in the temp folder, it has happened here
many times. I'm not sure why. I realize the poster did not save the file, but
there is always hope...

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "Mary Sauer" <mary.sauer@mygmail.com> wrote in message
>> The file is gone.
>>
>> AutoRecover is useful if you have a power failure or similar, the file will
>> be recovered. In that event the file will turn up in the temp folder after
>> the recovery. The file will automatically come up when you open Publisher
>> after the computer failure.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "techcoor" <techcoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes, I did look in the Temp folder and did not see anything. I also looked
>>> at
>>> the c:\documents and settings\(user)\application data\Microsoft\Publisher
>>> then repeat the steps the user made and the Autorecover save - unsaved
>>> pub1(7DE6).pb19 went away and a pubcmd.dat appears. However the pubcmd.dat
>>> seems to be a toolbar setting file and has nothing to do with the file not
>>> saved.

> Mary, I think we went down this road once before.  If I am reading the OP
> correctly he never saved the file at all after working on it for an hour. Auto
> save doesn't work unless it has been saved once, correct?
>
> Isn't any auto-recovery file deleted after a successful shut down of Publisher
> and is only kept if a crash of Publisher occurs?

0
mary.sauer (2018)
10/7/2009 9:50:07 AM
"LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "Mary Sauer" <mary.sauer@mygmail.com> wrote in message
>> The file is gone.
>>
>> AutoRecover is useful if you have a power failure or similar, the
>> file will be recovered. In that event the file will turn up in the
>> temp folder after the recovery. The file will automatically come up
>> when you open Publisher after the computer failure.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "techcoor" <techcoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes, I did look in the Temp folder and did not see anything. I also
>>> looked at
>>> the c:\documents and settings\(user)\application
>>> data\Microsoft\Publisher
>>> then repeat the steps the user made and the Autorecover save -
>>> unsaved
>>> pub1(7DE6).pb19 went away and a pubcmd.dat appears. However the
>>> pubcmd.dat
>>> seems to be a toolbar setting file and has nothing to do with the
>>> file not
>>> saved.

> Mary, I think we went down this road once before.  If I am reading the
> OP correctly he never saved the file at all after working on it for an
> hour. Auto save doesn't work unless it has been saved once, correct?

Well that sounds less than useful! The whole point of Auto save is to
protect against what has happened here, to protect one's work should the
computer fail!
Thanks for the warning!

> Isn't any auto-recovery file deleted after a successful shut down of
> Publisher and is only kept if a crash of Publisher occurs?

--

Geoff
ExploitEd

Wisdom and experience come with age, they say, but I wish I could
remember the darn question

I've had files recover that have not been saved when we've had a power failure.
You can test this by having a Publisher file open and manually power down.

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

0
mary.sauer (2018)

Incoming mail server problem: outlook will not save my password
Any help would be appreciated. I cannot get outlook 2000 to save my my password for the incoming mail server. Every time I start outlook, I have to manually enter my password. That has only been a slight inconvenience until I added an IMAP mail server. IMAP seems to disconnect itself on a regular basis so it is constantly asking for my password. I have tried everything I can think of to correct the problem including; reinstall the software, delete all outlook files from the C Drive and reinstall software. I know the software works. I test installed it on another computer and it...

C++ Asignment, submiting files
Hi, I have an assignment to submit and right at the end the instructions are: 1) Source code (must compile cleanly in Visual C++ 6 or 7). I have warning set to 3, the code compiles with no warnings and of course no errors. 2) Compiled Win32 binaries. Include any 3rd party DLLs needed to run the application. How can I find out, for certain, what DLLs are needed? My app does not use any third party DLL, (none that I know). Must I submit the windows stuff as well, I will build statically so there is no need for any Dll as far as I know. But how can I really tell? Thanks Simon "S...

Help with shariing excel file !
Hi, I have strange problem since a few weeks with an excel file I share. This file is stored on aW2003 SBS. It can only be modified by one person (it has a "modify" password is set). The file is *always* opened from the same station, by the same user ! I set this thru : "Save as", then "Tools", "General option". Now, sometimes, when this famous user opens the file, it gets an error, which tells him that... the file is already opened by ... him ! Of course, it can't modify it since the file is exclusive ! I tried to reboot the station, nothing ! The ...

recovering e-mails
My hard drive is slowly dying. The latest is the inability to open my Outlook. I managed to get a new version up and running but how do I recover all the saved e-mails in the original Outlook account? They have to be saved to the hard drive somewhere, but I can not locate them. ...

Does anybody know how to add barcodes to Publisher
I am trying to add barcodes to Publisher drawings. Has anybody found a way of achieving this Thanks Tony ...

Can't open documents via file association
Hi Group, I'm having a problem with Excel as part of Office 97. We're running: Windows 98SE Office 97 Here's the deal. If I open a document by double-clicking the document file Excel opens and declares that the path is invalid. It is showing the correct path in the warning box. If I open Excel first and choose FILE OPEN, then the file will open as normal. I've tried uninstalling including manual deletion of all files/registry references, running the MS Office removal tool, repair install of Windows & SFC. I'm not sure where else to go with it. If anyone can she...

Excel to delimited txt file in UTF-8 char-set
Dear All, Is Excel capable to save to a delimited text file in UTF- 8 char-set format? I have searched around google group and yahoo, etc... but noone seems to have the answer. It would be really apreciated if someone can help me out of this. Thank you very much in advance. SIM ...

Problem in reading .csv file with unicode characters
Hi everybody, I got problem in reading .csv file with unicode characters. The .csv file is generated by a self-developed application and Chinese characters is included in that file. I open it by Excel 2003 and found all Chinese characters are mis-encoding. Of course, if I change the encoding of .csv file to BIG5 (or ASCII), it is ok. However, I need to keep unicode encoding to fit my application requirement. Does anybody know the solution on my case? I suppose Excel 2003 supports unicode. Am I right? Thanks for your attention and kindly advice! Regards, James Wong James I a...

Microsoft Query could not be started because it isn't installed
I have Excel 2000 SP3 & Windows XP Home. When I go to Data | Get External Data | Run Saved Query I can import data from an Access database into an Excel worksheet. When I go to Data | Get External Data | New Database Query after a delay a message appears to tell me that MS Query is not installed. This is the message: "Microsoft Excel "Microsoft Query could not be started because it isn't installed. You can install Query by running the installation program you "used to install Office or Excel. The Query option is in the Office Tools category. "OK" Ho...

WAB DLL file
For some reason I can't get to my address book in outlook. comes up it can't find the WAB DLL file. ???????????????????????????????????????????????????? What version of Outlook installed on what o/s Outlook hasnt used a wab.dll since outlook 2k(?) "Tony Miller" <tonyyamahamiller@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%2346VH1%23qJHA.4260@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > For some reason I can't get to my address book in outlook. > comes up it can't find the WAB DLL file. > ???????????????????????????????????????????????????? let me guess -- outlook 2000 on v...

Password recovery on a PST file
Hi, How do I recover a password on a personal folder file...? Thanks for the help. Marius ...

PST file on flash memory?
Are there any known pitfalls in having my pst file on a USB memory stick? USB memory sticks have a finite lifespan (measured in reads & writes). With a modern stick, you are probably not going to hit it for a long time. I would however suggest that you have some backup scheme to back the file up to a hard drive regularly, and with increasing frequency the older the stick becomes. I don't know of anyone actually having tried this, so you are in uncharted territory. Do you want to do this so that you are able to transport the PST or in an attempt to increase performance? Patri...

excel closes when trying to open certain files
Excel 2003 will close when trying to open a specific file. When Excel is reopened the file is in the recovery box. When I open the file from the recovery box it gives a message that the file is too corrupt to repair and most of my data is gone along with any formatting. This is the only file that seems to be affected and it use to open without any problems. The same file will open on other computers with Excel 2003 without any problems. The only difference between this file and others that seem to have no problem is before the file opens, it ask to disable or enable macros. This f...

How to reversibly close Outlook with some files open?
Windows Update routinely closes Outlook when it has email files open, and then restarts Outlook with these same files open after it re-boots with patched installed. How can a user accomplish the same result, i.e., close Outlook with some email files open and then have these files re-open when Outlook is re-started? Thanks! Use File-> Close to close Outlook instead of the top right X. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ ...

PST file is too big for online backup
Hi, My Office Outlook 2007 pst file has grown to hundreds of megabytes in size, and I cannot do an online differential backup. Can Outlook store it as hundreds of 1Mb chunks regardless of folders, or split it into separate files for each sub folder ? thanks, Brian No You wont be doing a differential backup in any case, the pst is a single file, and its attribute is reset whenever outlook is opened, in other words only a full backup will be done. Have you used any of the archive options? "Brian Stoop" <b.stoop@consultant-spam.free.com> wrote in message news:u4QqlpL...

Save As to folders?
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) When I click on Save As with a new document, why do I only get in the menu the choice of the primary folders e.g. documents/desktop etc. WHen I highlight Documents, I cannot access any of my subfolders in documents, so if I want to save a document to say file folder Training, I have to save it only in documents and then go back in Finder and move it from there - a major pain in the butt! <br> thoughts? See the chiclet-shaped button with the triangle on it adjacent to the Save As: file name field? Click it. It's a standard feature ...

No .pst File #2
I get an error when starting Outlook, .pst file not found. I look for it an it is indeed missing. I tried reinstalling Outlook, but same error message. Does anybody have any suggestions? Create a new pst-file in Control Panel-> Mail -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net (I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _unders...

SHFileOperation() & delete files
I have this code: CString deleteAll = s_rootDir + "\\*.temp\0"; SHFILEOPSTRUCT shFileOp; ZeroMemory(&shFileOp, sizeof(SHFILEOPSTRUCT)); shFileOp.hwnd = NULL; shFileOp.wFunc = FO_DELETE; shFileOp.pFrom = deleteAll; shFileOp.pTo = NULL; shFileOp.fFlags = FOF_NOCONFIRMATION | FOF_NOERRORUI | FOF_SILENT; SHFileOperation(&shFileOp); Well, it doesn't delete temp files any more. The strange thing is that it worked before and few days ago it stopped working. I don't know what I have changed in my code. :( This is how I create temp files: CFile f; BOOL ok = f.Open(fileN...

Microsoft Web Browser ActiveX
[VC++ 6.0] I use Microsoft Web Browser ActiveX in my aplication. I have no problem with open local files in that component, but I can't open any web site (http). m_MicrosoftWebBrowser.Navigate("c:\file.jpg", NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL); it works m_MicrosoftWebBrowser.Navigate("http://www.google.com", NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL); it can't open 'http://www.google.com' Why? ArtuS Maybe this from the documentation for the member function explains it: "In Internet Explorer 6 or later, you can navigate through code only within the same domain as the applicat...

Microsoft Outlook 2000
Help? I recently had a computer aquire a virus/spyware called PowerScan 1.1. I think I got rid of all of it. Now my Outlook 2000 will not open up. Tried detect/repair, reinstalled twice and no luck. When clicking to open, it hangs for a couple of minutes and then a kernel32 error pops up and says to restart to resolve. No Luck. Any Ideas?????? ...

What is Microsoft Outlook 2007 forward as iCalendar
I read in an article that I could AVOID having my meeting attendees constantly accept meeting updates by sending the changes through using a feature called "Forward as iCalendar." For example, I want to change a meeting end time, type text in body of meeting notice, and then add an attachment. I set up a test with a coworker. However, it still required me sending an update after I sent it as a "Forward as iCalendar", because I went to close the meeting and the options were to save or not save changes. I think this was because I changed the time. So, I then set...

How to cancel or stop update dialog box when I start Microsoft Money 2006.
Hi all, How to cancel or stop update dialog box when I start Microsoft Money 2006. It always show me: "Please wait while Money checks for software updates. This might take several minutes." Thanks, Rowen ...

Publisher, SEND button --WEBBOT-SELF--
I have put an order page in my site. I publish it to my host. The send button is set to email the page to my email address. I do not use Outlook and could never be sure if my customers would use this product. But I keep getting errors that say that it can't find the file ............./--WEBBOT-SELF--/ on my site. I can't find anything in the help files to address this nor can I find any books that deal with it. Help! What's the URL to your site and page with the form? Your host server must have FP extensions installed and working and very often the email address mu...

problem viewing files backed up from money2004
my computer crashed. An expert retrieved some of our files from money 2004 and gave us the discs. Money 2004 is not currently on the computer. Cannot find the disc. Backed up files won't open with money 2003(naturally had the older version). Asking for password. The password with the money 2004 "is invalid". Any ideas?? In microsoft.public.money, steve wrote: >my computer crashed. An expert retrieved some of our files from money 2004 >and gave us the discs. Money 2004 is not currently on the computer. Cannot >find the disc. Backed up files won't open with mon...

Which program file is executed?
I have two related questions. I am using Win XP SP3. 1. How do I know what program (folder and file name) is executed when I click on shortcut? For some shortcuts, the answer seems self-evident: right-click on the shortcut icon, click on Properties, and look at Target in the Shortcut tab. But for other sortcuts, e.g. Excel, the Shortcut tab does not tell me anything useful. I don't know if the shortcuts for Office 2003 (or perhaps all MS) products are a special case. Even if they are, I am interested in knowing how to find the real "target" for those sh...