How do I find and replace text with symbols?

I have a document in Publisher that has been imported from MS Word.  A
recurring symbol in the word document has translated to recurring "ü" in the
Publisher document.  Since there are many of these recurrences throughout the
document, can I use the find and replace all feature to replace the "ü" with
the correct symbol?  If so, then how?  If not, then how?  Thanks.
0
tafcdo (3)

tafcdo <tafcdo@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to
utter:
> I have a document in Publisher that has been imported from MS Word.  A
> recurring symbol in the word document has translated to recurring "�"
> in the Publisher document.  Since there are many of these recurrences
> throughout the document, can I use the find and replace all feature
> to replace the "�" with the correct symbol?  If so, then how?

Which version of Publisher are you using?

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6342)
3/9/2006 9:25:31 PM
I am using 2003

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> tafcdo <tafcdo@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to
> utter:
> > I have a document in Publisher that has been imported from MS Word.  A
> > recurring symbol in the word document has translated to recurring "ü"
> > in the Publisher document.  Since there are many of these recurrences
> > throughout the document, can I use the find and replace all feature
> > to replace the "ü" with the correct symbol?  If so, then how?
>
> Which version of Publisher are you using?
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
tafcdo (3)
3/9/2006 9:37:29 PM
Did you try find.. under edit? Do you have a hint about what the symbol might
mean in context with the rest of the text? Is the Word document available to
paste special as unformatted text?

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"tafcdo" <tafcdo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using 2003
>
> "Ed Bennett" wrote:
>
>> tafcdo <tafcdo@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to
>> utter:
>> > I have a document in Publisher that has been imported from MS Word.  A
>> > recurring symbol in the word document has translated to recurring "�"
>> > in the Publisher document.  Since there are many of these recurrences
>> > throughout the document, can I use the find and replace all feature
>> > to replace the "�" with the correct symbol?  If so, then how?
>>
>> Which version of Publisher are you using?
>>
>> --
>> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
gsauer (5093)
3/9/2006 10:12:52 PM
Yes I did try find...under edit.  It let me insert the "ü" but would not let
me insert the globe symbol in the replace drop down. I do still have the word
document, and I also have to add that the original text w/ globe symbols is
contained in a full sheet sized text box.  I tried your suggestion of using
the paste special function and it worked perfectly, inserting the copy as a
Windows Metafile.

Thanks much.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Did you try find.. under edit? Do you have a hint about what the symbol might
> mean in context with the rest of the text? Is the Word document available to
> paste special as unformatted text?
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "tafcdo" <tafcdo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using 2003
> >
> > "Ed Bennett" wrote:
> >
> >> tafcdo <tafcdo@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to
> >> utter:
> >>
> >> Which version of Publisher are you using?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
tafcdo (3)

Change font/colours for text in field
tHi, Is it possible to format the text displayed in a field with another font or colour? /Lotten Yes, there are several ways, however, they aren't officially supported by Microsoft as customization points. All the CRM screens and their controls have corresponding cascading style sheets defined in the CRMWeb folder of your CRM installation. There is no central spot for these sheets, and they are distributed amongst the subfolders of this directory. This distribution is arranged by component function. You can add css attributes to color various components in these sheets. You can also...

How to find all UDF calls in all workbooks
I've decided to make a few "improvements" to some of the UDFs in my personal add-in module. Now I need to find all of the calls to those UDFs in all of my workbooks, because the syntax has changed some. Is there an easy way to find them other than opening each one? I vaguely recall dealing with this before, but I can't remember if it was code or an add in. I think this will do it for you: http://www.asap-utilities.com/download-asap-utilities.php NYC public library is closing and they're ushering me out, so I can't test it now, but give it a whirl and s...

text in received emails is very small
A friend has Office 2003 and he uses Outlook. He is an older gentleman who's been running his own business for decades, and he uses Excel with lots of tabs in his worksheets. Here's the situation: In changing his monitor from 800x600 to 1024x768 so he can read more of the Excel tabs, the text in the body of his received emails is very small. Headers and folders are normal as well as typed text in created emails. What gives? Jack Did you check the zoom settings? HTML sizes can be changed on the view menu, plain text in tools, options, mail format, stationery and fonts. Or ...

How can I scan a text form into a fillable word doc?
I have an HP psc 2210xi all-in-one printer/scanner. I am trying to scan an application (job application) onto my pc (Dell - XP operating system) as a fillable usable form that I can make changes to. I am using MS Office suite 2007. Can I do it in word or should it be a different MS Application? Thank you, Cecelala Cecelala wrote: > I have an HP psc 2210xi all-in-one printer/scanner. I am trying to scan an > application (job application) onto my pc (Dell - XP operating system) as a > fillable usable form that I can make changes to. I am using MS Office suite > 2...

Duplicate Find not finding all dupes
Hi I am using Excel 2007 and have used previous versions to manage large address data type spreadsheets. In col B ins the street number and street name, in col C the suburb and postcode. I dedupe on col B&C as sometimes you get the same street name but different suburbs hence no dupe. The majority of my data is cut and paste from and email body. I have just introduced another 100 records from the results of a website query and they are in exactly the same format and font. When I ran the dedupe it found none, but a manual check revealed 12 dupes within the 1009 line spreadsh...

change color if text is = or not, to text in other column
I am taking practice tests. ColB contains text (the correct answers). ColC contains text (my practice answers). I want the cells in ColC to turn green if my answer is correct (matches the text in ColB) and turn red if it is incorrect (does not match the text in ColB). I can't figure out how to get it to apply Conditional Formating on the columns. It wants me to apply it to only a single cell. I've also tried copying and pasting special just the formatting. It turns the cells in ColC green if they match cell B2 (not the corresponding answer that is in the same row). Please ...

hp920c printer prints only the top half of any most lines of text

VBScript String Clean function
This article provides a function written in VBScript which removes illegal characters from a string. The illegal characters are specified in an array at the beginning of the function. The function is passed the string which may contain illegal characters, which then processes the string to remove or replace any illegal characters. The code also allows you to specify the character or word which will replace specific illegal characters. The illegal characters provided in the function are included for processing strings which will become the filename of a document or list item in Sh...

Removing deleted text
When I convert an Excel file to Adobe pdf, then use the Adobe searc function, I can sometimes see text in the search window that doesn' appear in the original Excel file or the pdf. Does Excel hang on t deleted text similar to Word and what is the best way to remove it? Thanks Dav -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com It is "a feature, not a bug" <grin>. Surely all you need to do is start typing and the new text overwrite the old -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Pivot Table
In my Pivot Table, I have all the column headers formatted to "wrap text". When I select new data to display in the pivot table, it removes the wrapping on the column headers. I've deselected the AutoFormat Table option, but the behavior continues. Any way around this? You may have to enable selection (From the Pivot toolbar, choose PivotTable>Select, and click on Enable Selection) Before formatting cells, instead of selecting the entire column, use the selection feature to select the items in the description field. For example, move the pointer to the top of a column ...

Male Symbol
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am looking for a small male symbol to put next to my name in my signature in Entourage. Please advise, and thank you. celticson@officeformac.com wrote: > I am looking for a small male symbol to put next to my name in my > signature in Entourage. Please advise, and thank you. Can I assume you mean the "mail" symbol such as the small envelope icon and not the symbol for man? ;-) Do this: 1. Go to Apple menu --> System Preferences... --> International --> Input Menu. 2. At the top of the l...

Convert Text in Excel To Word Doc
Copy from Excel. Paste or Paste Special into Word. sunny1 wrote: ...

Find Values
Hi, I have a table named cnom which has fields cname,number and total I also have a table with 10 (for explaination) fields, p1sX (X being 1-5) which is a name selected from cname in cnom and ctl1_diff_x (x again 1-5) which specifies a time but is in text format. This table also has a date field(key). I'm trying to create a report that shows the total for each cname in cnom between two specified dates. I've been trying to 0 total in cnom then add on the amount in ctl1_diff_x to total in the record where cnom is whatever is in p1sx. This is really tricky because any name could be ...

.LSP text files
In Windows 98, I could search within "all files" and AUTOLISP files would be included in a search for text content in a folder. But now, in Windows XP pro, it will only look for text content within TXT files. So why not LSP? -- ____________________ Bill DeShawn Please reply to group only Thank you http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn Oops. Sorry. Wrong group Please delete/ignore thread. "Bill DeShawn at Gregg Creghton's Office" <bdeshawn@nospam.net> wrote in message news:O%23QEdrJWEHA.1760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > In Windows 98, I could search within &...

Excel 2007
Hello all, I have a little problem to resolve. I have worked on an Excel 2007 sheet and am trying to export it to a tab delimited text file (Save As...) but when the file is exported, and when I open it with a text editor such as Notepad then I view a lot of doublequotes added to some values... Do you have a clue about that ? I'd like to get a text file that has nothing added to it when exporting it... Thanks Excel does what it thinks is right. You could use a macro and write code and have complete control over what you write. Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:...

how to replace the "new" and "delete" operator funtion define in mfc.
I am trying to overload the global new and delelte operator function in order to use my own memory allocation mechanism.Every time i do it smoothly until i get to a MFC project. The problem is that there are already a set of new and delete operator function defined in afxmem.cpp of MFC. While i'm trying to replace them with my own,the new operator call the MFC's operator new function and call my operator delete function.This is a surelost. How can i replace them completely? Booker, Best regards. It is strongly recommended that you do not overload operator new/delete....

Saving as text(tab delimited) file
I need to save a worksheet as a text(tab-delimited), but it cannot have the ..txt at the end(e.g., remedy.1996). I know this can be done, because I have one computer that will do this, but the other computer will not, it will save as remedy.1996.txt. This is preventing me from uploading into another program. I cannot see the .txt at the end, until I tried to e-mail the file. As long as it does not have the .txt on the end, I can upload it into a different program. How can I keep the .txt off the end? I use xl2003. I did a file|SaveAs In the "save as type:" box, I chos...

replace cell value
how to replace sheet1. cell a1 with shhet2 cell a1 if sheet 2 cell a2 matches sheet1 cell a2 Run this small macro: Sub ReplaceIt() If Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A2").Value Then Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1").Value End If End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 "hershel" wrote: > how to replace sheet1. cell a1 with shhet2 cell a1 if sheet 2 cell a2 > matches sheet1 cell a2 > . > On ...

Creating ID with numbers and text
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to Access but I need some help. I need to create an ID number using first 3 letters of a name followed by 3 numbers that create a unique ID. Is there a way of doing this in the expression builder? Many thanks, I don't think so. You would have to use some VBA. In a case like this, it would be better to use two fields; one for the letters and another for the numbers. You can create an index on the two fields. To get the next available number where the 3 letters are the same, you can do something like this: Private Function NextIdNumber() As Long N...

How to find out why external message bounced, when coming in..
Hi all, I'm sure this is an easy one, but could someone please tell me how to find out why an external email bounced when coming into my Exchange server? I'm almost positive it has to do with message size, but I want to be sure. I'm using Exchange 2003 Enterprise running on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. Many thanks!!! On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:57:08 -0700, "Linger1974" <Linger1974@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >I'm sure this is an easy one, but could someone please tell me how to find >out why an external email bounced when co...

Advanced Find or a View Question
Is there a field to find out the current user logged in from the Accounts itself. The owner is the owner who owns the account. I am trying to find the current user logged in so I can give a filtered view based on it. Thanks Hi: Michael has posted a great example of how this can be done here: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=AJAX1 -- John. Microsoft Principal Architect This message sent from Windows Vista! <srini.venkatesan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1161904149.549945.253590@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Is there a field to find out the current user logged...

Find/Search macro
What is the easiest way to search using a list that constantly updates For example, I have a list of names in cells A1:A10 (1 name per cell) Not all cells will have a name all of the time eg one day A1:A7 wil have names, the next day A1:A1 only will have a name. I want the macr to look at these names then look for them in another worksheet an clear the contents of that cell. Does anyone know of a way to do this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com LB, If by Worksheet you mean another sheet in the same book: Dim myCell As Range For Each myCell In Range("A1", Range(&...

Is there a way to find the size of each database object?
Hi All I have a reasonably simple database but even after running "Compact & Repair" it seems the whole .mdb file is much larger than it should be compared to other MS Access database that I have created. Is there an easy way to find the size of each database object? I have forms with VB code and reports and macros. I have started a new .mdb file and importing the objects over one by one to find the culprit but this is (of course) a long and painful process. I performed a similar test where I imported each set of objects (tables, queries, forms, reports, macros ...

cannot find user in AD with specific email address
i'm trying to find a user by smtp mail address in ADUC.. We're running Exchange 2003/AD/W2k. When I go to ADUC, hit find, search the entire directory, use the USER->Email field or USER-Email(External) or USER->Email(other) fields and search for IS EXACTLY: SOMEADDRESS@MYCOMPANY.COM i come up with bupkis. what am i doing wrong? even if i tell it to search for my email address, it comes back with nothing. there's an email address (SMTP) out there in our directory that i'm trying to track down who it's assigned to. help! Hit Find, Advanced EMail address i...

Do you want to replace the contents of
When my macro runs, it stops after this procdure and asks "Do you want to replace the contents ofthe destination cells" is there something I can add that will automatically tell it yes? Here is the part of the macro that it stops on. Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=Range("C1"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _ TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=False, _ Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=True, OtherChar _ :="/", FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 1), Array(2, 1), Array(3, 1)) Thanks H...