Highlighting text problem!!!

In Publisher 2003 when you highlight a piece of text it always auto
highlights the end of paragraph symbol. This is a pain as when you try to
alter things like the kerning, the end of paragraph symbol is included and
gives an uneven stretch. We have initially got around the problem by
physically putting in a space after the text so you can then only highlight
the text and the end of paragraph symbol is not auto highlighted. Surely
there must be a better way to get around this problem (please don't suggest
better mouse control) which only seems to effect 2003, all other versions are
fine.
0
User (142)

In Office products, place the cursor where you want the highlight to end, holding the
shift key, then place the cursor where you want the highlight to begin.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"publisher 2003 user" <publisher 2003 user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7724CB9A-076A-4D40-86C5-9EEADCA06ADE@microsoft.com...
> In Publisher 2003 when you highlight a piece of text it always auto
> highlights the end of paragraph symbol. This is a pain as when you try to
> alter things like the kerning, the end of paragraph symbol is included and
> gives an uneven stretch. We have initially got around the problem by
> physically putting in a space after the text so you can then only highlight
> the text and the end of paragraph symbol is not auto highlighted. Surely
> there must be a better way to get around this problem (please don't suggest
> better mouse control) which only seems to effect 2003, all other versions are
> fine.

0
gsauer (5093)
11/7/2004 10:19:57 PM
Unfortunately that doesn't work either! Try it. In Publisher 2003 (none of
the other Office products are affected) when you highlight some text it
always auto highlights the end on line/paragraph special character. In Word
and Excel this is no so bad but when in Publisher you want to format the text
in any way especially altering the kerning the special character is included
and creates problems. Have a go - highlight one line of text in a text box
and stretch it using the kerning and see that the text is not evenly
stretched across the text box.

Someone must know the answer?????

Many thanks

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> In Office products, place the cursor where you want the highlight to end, holding the
> shift key, then place the cursor where you want the highlight to begin.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://www.msauer.mvps.org/
> "publisher 2003 user" <publisher 2003 user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:7724CB9A-076A-4D40-86C5-9EEADCA06ADE@microsoft.com...
> > In Publisher 2003 when you highlight a piece of text it always auto
> > highlights the end of paragraph symbol. This is a pain as when you try to
> > alter things like the kerning, the end of paragraph symbol is included and
> > gives an uneven stretch. We have initially got around the problem by
> > physically putting in a space after the text so you can then only highlight
> > the text and the end of paragraph symbol is not auto highlighted. Surely
> > there must be a better way to get around this problem (please don't suggest
> > better mouse control) which only seems to effect 2003, all other versions are
> > fine.

I cannot replicate this. I can highlight a few words and kern them, the special
character is not included. When I stretch the text across one line it seems okay, if
I adjust the percentage. Are you selecting full justification? What font?

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
> Unfortunately that doesn't work either! Try it. In Publisher 2003 (none of
> the other Office products are affected) when you highlight some text it
> always auto highlights the end on line/paragraph special character. In Word
> and Excel this is no so bad but when in Publisher you want to format the text
> in any way especially altering the kerning the special character is included
> and creates problems. Have a go - highlight one line of text in a text box
> and stretch it using the kerning and see that the text is not evenly
> stretched across the text box.
>
> Someone must know the answer?????
>
> Many thanks
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> In Office products, place the cursor where you want the highlight to end, holding
>> the
>> shift key, then place the cursor where you want the highlight to begin.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MS MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://www.msauer.mvps.org/
>> "publisher 2003 user" <publisher 2003 user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:7724CB9A-076A-4D40-86C5-9EEADCA06ADE@microsoft.com...
>> > In Publisher 2003 when you highlight a piece of text it always auto
>> > highlights the end of paragraph symbol. This is a pain as when you try to
>> > alter things like the kerning, the end of paragraph symbol is included and
>> > gives an uneven stretch. We have initially got around the problem by
>> > physically putting in a space after the text so you can then only highlight
>> > the text and the end of paragraph symbol is not auto highlighted. Surely
>> > there must be a better way to get around this problem (please don't suggest
>> > better mouse control) which only seems to effect 2003, all other versions are
>> > fine.

0
gsauer (5093)
11/8/2004 9:43:12 AM
In Publisher 2000 I find that I have more control over selecting text by
Tools > Options > Edit and unticking 'When selecting, automatically select
entire word'.

DavidF

"publisher 2003 user" <publisher2003user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:240CE6A4-2414-456A-A5E4-DA061B996177@microsoft.com...
> Unfortunately that doesn't work either! Try it. In Publisher 2003 (none of
> the other Office products are affected) when you highlight some text it
> always auto highlights the end on line/paragraph special character. In
Word
> and Excel this is no so bad but when in Publisher you want to format the
text
> in any way especially altering the kerning the special character is
included
> and creates problems. Have a go - highlight one line of text in a text box
> and stretch it using the kerning and see that the text is not evenly
> stretched across the text box.
>
> Someone must know the answer?????
>
> Many thanks
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
> > In Office products, place the cursor where you want the highlight to
end, holding the
> > shift key, then place the cursor where you want the highlight to begin.
> >
> > --
> > Mary Sauer MS MVP
> > http://office.microsoft.com/
> > http://www.msauer.mvps.org/
> > "publisher 2003 user" <publisher 2003 user@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in
> > message news:7724CB9A-076A-4D40-86C5-9EEADCA06ADE@microsoft.com...
> > > In Publisher 2003 when you highlight a piece of text it always auto
> > > highlights the end of paragraph symbol. This is a pain as when you try
> > > alter things like the kerning, the end of paragraph symbol is included
and
> > > gives an uneven stretch. We have initially got around the problem by
> > > physically putting in a space after the text so you can then only
highlight
> > > the text and the end of paragraph symbol is not auto highlighted.
Surely
> > > there must be a better way to get around this problem (please don't
suggest
> > > better mouse control) which only seems to effect 2003, all other
versions are
> > > fine.

0
Nope8657 (939)
11/8/2004 1:36:50 PM
Thanks for the reply David, but it's not solved the problem! I'll try to
explain better. Drag out any text box size. Type in a single line of text
(any font, size). Turn on the special characters icon. Highlight the text in
the usual method of dragging the mouse across. In my version (and all my
collegues) of publisher 2003 the end of the line special character is also
highlighed (the circle with spikes sticking out of it - very technical
description!). This is the problem. We've tried shift inserting, altering all
the edit options etc. During this discussion I have found another method to
de-select the special character whilst keeping the text highlighted - shift
and left arrow.
This works! Let me know if anybody else can replicate this problem and maybe
another cure???

Many thanks

"DavidF" wrote:

> In Publisher 2000 I find that I have more control over selecting text by
> Tools > Options > Edit and unticking 'When selecting, automatically select
> entire word'.
>
> DavidF
>
> "publisher 2003 user" <publisher2003user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:240CE6A4-2414-456A-A5E4-DA061B996177@microsoft.com...
> > Unfortunately that doesn't work either! Try it. In Publisher 2003 (none of
> > the other Office products are affected) when you highlight some text it
> > always auto highlights the end on line/paragraph special character. In
> Word
> > and Excel this is no so bad but when in Publisher you want to format the
> text
> > in any way especially altering the kerning the special character is
> included
> > and creates problems. Have a go - highlight one line of text in a text box
> > and stretch it using the kerning and see that the text is not evenly
> > stretched across the text box.
> >
> > Someone must know the answer?????
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> > > In Office products, place the cursor where you want the highlight to
> end, holding the
> > > shift key, then place the cursor where you want the highlight to begin.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mary Sauer MS MVP
> > > http://office.microsoft.com/
> > > http://www.msauer.mvps.org/
> > > "publisher 2003 user" <publisher 2003 user@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in
> > > message news:7724CB9A-076A-4D40-86C5-9EEADCA06ADE@microsoft.com...
> and
> highlight
> Surely
> suggest
> versions are

I also am unable to duplicate this. The only way I can duplicate this is if
there is only one word in the sentence with the special character. In that
instance, the word and special character are highlighted together.
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

"publisher 2003 user" <publisher 2003 user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:7724CB9A-076A-4D40-86C5-9EEADCA06ADE@microsoft.com...
> In Publisher 2003 when you highlight a piece of text it always auto
> highlights the end of paragraph symbol. This is a pain as when you try to
> alter things like the kerning, the end of paragraph symbol is included and
> gives an uneven stretch. We have initially got around the problem by
> physically putting in a space after the text so you can then only
> highlight
> the text and the end of paragraph symbol is not auto highlighted. Surely
> there must be a better way to get around this problem (please don't
> suggest
> better mouse control) which only seems to effect 2003, all other versions
> are
> fine.

0
bkvalheim (1291)

Problem with post callout
Hi. I'm able to create files on the server as response to accounts being created in CRM. However, I'm not able to load other .NET assemblies or applications from the same component. Any idea why? Are those other assemblies strong named? If not, you either need to make them strong named or create a wrapper. I know you can do this with a utility, but don't have the steps handy. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 07:21:02 -0700, "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com>...

sorting text & numbers
I have a large list that I want sorted like this: Ward 1 Ward 2 & 3 Ward 4 Ward 5 Wards 6-8 Ward 9 Ward 10 When I sort it, it says: Ward 1 Ward 10 Ward 2 & 3 Ward 4 Ward 5 Wards 6-8 Ward 9 If I just take out the words Ward and Wards, it makes some of the numbers into dates, and does something else to some other cells that returns a big number. Anything I can do? -- billjr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ billjr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25927 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sh...

Outlook problems after WinXP updates
I installed critical updates for Windows XP on my laptop Wednesday. Nowmy Outlook hangs and I am unable to send new messages or reply to messages while using VPN. Any ideas? Suggestions? ...

I am having problems with "Calendar"
Hi all I'm trying to make a calendar that cycles (January February March etc.) starting from 2010 to when ever in MS Publisher. I have Calendar Creator by Broudbund that does this but whenever I converted to a PDF file, the file for each month is a little under 5 MB (I think because it is created as a JPEG file) which is not good for my application. Whenever I convert the MS Publisher "Calendar" to a PDF file it runs about 72 kB. But I haven't figured out how to sequence the program where it will automatically make a calendar page for each month while carrying o...

OWA display problem
Our Outlook is performing normally when accessed internally. When accessing by way of OWA, however, we can see the headers, but cannot open the message. We can compose new messages and send them. We cannot see the message body in a preview pane. Any ideas? Steve, It sounds like you might have URLScan installed on the OWA server. Please have a look at the following article to see if it is relevant. 320089 XCCC: The URLScan Utility Does Not Allow You to Open Messages in OWA http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320089 Hope this helps. -- Greg Mansius [MSFT] This posting is provided &...

Problems with the installation
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Had a copy of Mac:Office 12.0.0, but couldn't ever upgrade it successfully. Finally bought another copy (digital download) of 12.1.6 to install - had already moved the other to a 'safe location'. The install completes successfully, however, when attempting to open any of the Office programs I get the following error: "A problem has been detected with the Microsoft Office installation." and "try running the Office Installer again to resolve the problem". I have run the installer four add...

Inserting Rows Problem
Hi there, I have a list of about 2000 rows. However, in between each of thes rows I want to insert a blank row that can be used for people to writ in once the list is printed off. Is there a quick way to do this? Kind regards Andre -- andyp16 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- andyp161's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1165 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26611 If you insert rows it will affect sorting, etc. and be a real pain. Many posts here want to delete blank rows ...

Problem consuming a webservice
Hello all. I have a problem I cannot figure out. I have an ASp.NET we app that receives names of bible books. I get an "*Illegal character in path*" error. My codes look like this: net.webservicex.www.BibleWebservice ws = ne net.webservicex.www.BibleWebservice(); dsBible.ReadXml(ws.GetBookTitles()); <----------this is where th error is DataGrid1.DataSource = dsBible; DataGrid1.DataBind(); Now, if I save the contents into a xml text file, my datagrid render the data fine. My suspicion is the webmethod is sending me escap sequences (CR, LF, etc..) and if its saves onto a text f...

Importing Data From Access Problem
I'm trying to import some query results from MS Access into Excel using the Import External Data function. Some of the queries are coming across OK, others are only bringing the column headers across and some are bringing partial data. Does anyone have any ideas why this may be happening? Thanks Helena ...

Active sync problem in wince5.0 when de-activate "Enable KITL" in release mode
Hi, My Usb fucntion driver with active sync support in wince 5.0 is working fine with de-activate "Enable KITL" support in debug mode. By de-activate "Enable KITL" in RELEASE mode, active sync is not working. Any idea ? Regards - D. Does it work if you Enable KITL in a release build? Do you have ActiveSync included in your release build? What are you using as your default USBF client? Check your COM ports, the COMx x number may have changed. -- Bruce Eitman (eMVP) Senior Engineer Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/brucee...

Public Folder replication problems Exchange 2003
We have two Exchange 2003 sites between which we replicate some public folders. This was working fine until recently, when one folder stopped replicating in one direction - i.e. postings made to the replica appear in the original folder, but not vice-versa. At the same time we started receiving numerous 1110 Events: Error 0x4ed occurred while writing per-user information for a.user@company.co.uk on database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (SERVER)". The event is repeated multiple times - I assume once for each user, though I haven't actually checked. If neces...

Namespace problem
I've the following code, taken from http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnexxml/html/xml02172003.asp to select a node from RSS file. However, I'm always getting a null returning for the SelectSingleNode(), why? if(feed.DocumentElement.LocalName.Equals("RDF") && feed.DocumentElement.NamespaceURI.Equals("http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-s yntax-ns#")) { NamespaceUri = "http://purl.org/rss/1.0/"; } else if(feed.DocumentElement.LocalName.Equals("rss")) { NamespaceUri = feed.DocumentElement.NamespaceURI; } ...

Integration manager VBScript email problem
I am doing something wrong with my Document Error script and I can't pinpoint the problem. This script should send an email when a document error is encountered with a link to the log file (I would really rather send the file as an attachemnt, but I was never able to get it to work so this is the second best option). Everything with this script works until I add the file link in the objMessage.HTMLBody. It will send the message, however, the message just says "False". Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you! 'Set path to the log files Set pFSO = ...

Access text box
I was trying to add text boxes to my database in form design view, which worked fine up until the moment when i was back in form or table view. For some reason when I add detail in one of the cells of the new column it was automatically copied to every other cell in that new column. This has only been happening with the new columns and the ones I created using the wizard when starting the database seem to be working fine. What can I do about this? On 25 mrt, 12:19, FernP <Fe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I was trying to add text boxes to my database in form desig...

I want a formula to ignore text values in cell references
If text is input into some cells referenced by a formula I want the formula to ignore whatever text it finds and just calculate the result of the numbers in cells. How do i do this? Presently the formula displays #VALUE! where there is text in one or more of the cells referenced. Use ISNUMBER(): In place of A1 use =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),A1,"") -- Gary''s Student "Russellrupert" wrote: > If text is input into some cells referenced by a formula I want the formula > to ignore whatever text it finds and just calculate the result of the numbers > in cells...

Copying text value based on long (comlex) calculation
I am not sure how to even search for what I want to do, so please forgive me if my first post has been discussed and resolved ad naseum in the past... Here is my situation: - I have a workbook that contains multiple sheets. - Each sheet contains auto parts from different suppliers, sorted by part number. - Some suppliers have parts that overlap with each other and the various sheets are updated as pricing and availabilty of parts change. - I am using a combination of the VLOOKUP and MIN functions to determine which supplier has lowest cost based on a comparison of part numbers and price ac...

How I can print full text bigger than column, in repeat column
When I print statements with repeat columns in excell which have text bigger than repeat columns, complete text is printed on all sheets except first sheet. How I can overcome this problem? I want to print complete text in repeat columns, which is expanded to other columns which are blank. ...

in Excel: How do I change "selected cells" highlight color?
When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely tell which cells are selected from those that are not. Can I change the background color of cells that are selected? Thanks. Assuming Excel 2007 this is a known problem and as yet no patch for it. I don't have Excel 2007 but I have read that playing with your Contrast can help some. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:51:00 -0700, flameretired <flameretired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely >tell whic...

Formula Problem
Hi I'm struggling with a formula in an excel sheet I'm working on. I recently created a time sheet for the people in my work. One person however get public holidays a different method from everyone else - she only gets half a working day. My initial formula that works fine is =IF(OR(B12="A/L",B12="S/L",B12="P/H"),7/24,IF(B12="FLEXI",0,C12-B12- D12)) My ammended ones is =IF(OR(B12="A/L",B12="S/L"),7/24,IF(B12="P/H",3.5/24),IF(B12="FLEXI", 0,C12-B12-D12)) However it doesn't want to w...

problems with right click in Office
When I click and/or right click on a Word or Excel file, it takes a loooong time to open. Once you open excel sheet and use "OPEN", it will quickly open. Help please -- neally When you click on a document Windows has to translate the file extension into the application. This might be a windows problem or a problem with how Excel was installed. Let's assume it's not and try looking at the article I found online. It's generally better to work with what you've got then start from scratch.. http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2...

Filtering problem
Hi everybody, it`s my first posting on this forum. My colleague made a document in Excel 2000 and when I tried to open i it was unpossible to open the filterin option /it was visiable, bu clicking on the option was without any results/. The same thing was o the other computer, but on her`s everything was working perfectly well What do you think about it ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creati...

covering part of a text box border
I want to have a large text box with a border...I then want to place a smaller text box within the larger one (with its own border). However, some of the border of the large text box is vissible within the small text box. Is there a way to set the small text box on top of the larger one and partially cover the large text box border? I can not find an answer to this problem after many searches. set the smaller box on a higher layer and set a fill color on the = smaller box. "Willie Birdie" <Willie Birdie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in = message news:95B71C45-E4BD-...

?problems printing from certain browsers
On my laptop with Vista Home Premium I had not used any physical printers or their software, but did use a few print-to-pdf programs for printing to files. Recently I installed (a)software so it could access two (identical)Epson printers I have always used with my PC. All of the printing goes well as long as I print from a Windows Explorer file with Notebook-type apps, and probably Irfanview as well. But when I am online with IE7 or Firefox and click to print something from a webpage nothing works, not even my print-to-pdf anymore -- instead I get an error saying the browser...

IF formula problem
I need to add categories to a downloaded bank statement. I would use something like Pascal's CASE formula: CASE(lookup value)= a: do x b: do y c: do z etc... Excel doesn't have such formula. Therefore, I use the following nested IF formula: =IF(ISERROR(SEARCH('Netbank Cat names'!$A$2,B73)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH('Netbank Cat names'!$A$3,B73)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH('Netbank Cat names'!$A$4,B73)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH('Netbank Cat names'!$A$5,B73)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH('Netbank Cat names'!$A$6,B73)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH('Netbank Cat names'!$A$7,B73)),"&...

Exch2003 Post SP2 OWA Problem
Hi folks, I'm dealing with an OWA problem that occured after upgrading the Exchange 2003 front end server to SP2. The domain is a multi-site domain. The front end server is using HTTPS encryption. The backend server that I am trying to connect to is also running Exch2003 SP2. The mailbox is located on the backend server. There are other Exch2003 SP2 boxes at other sites that can be logged onto via OWA. However, there are multiple sites with Exch2003 SP2 boxes that cannot be logged onto. I have ensured that the mailbox can be accessed internally from the server that it is loc...