Grouping Mail Merge Records and Printing a Group Header

Greetings,

I need to be able to group records from a data source and display a group 
header. How can I accomplish this in Publisher 2003?

-- 
David Guthu
0
DavidG (9)
8/17/2005 11:14:01 PM
publisher 21446 articles. 6 followers. Follow

5 Replies
558 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 40

Not sure I know what you are wanting to do.
Try the catalog merge, in step five convert to publication, insert your group 
headings.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx

-- 
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"David G." <DavidG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:C9882A94-FC86-464A-BC1C-1F75D192E1F9@microsoft.com...
> Greetings,
>
> I need to be able to group records from a data source and display a group
> header. How can I accomplish this in Publisher 2003?
>
> -- 
> David Guthu 


0
gsauer (5093)
8/18/2005 7:28:51 AM
Well you got it right Mary. However, I would like to avoid entering the group 
headings manually. Publisher doesn't have this ability? I need to sort a list 
of doctors by the city they live in and then display the start of each group 
with a header. 
-- 
David Guthu


"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Not sure I know what you are wanting to do.
> Try the catalog merge, in step five convert to publication, insert your group 
> headings.
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx
> 
> -- 
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> news://msnews.microsoft.com
> "David G." <DavidG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:C9882A94-FC86-464A-BC1C-1F75D192E1F9@microsoft.com...
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I need to be able to group records from a data source and display a group
> > header. How can I accomplish this in Publisher 2003?
> >
> > -- 
> > David Guthu 
> 
> 
> 
0
DavidG (9)
8/18/2005 2:54:04 PM
Integrate the information in the database.

Data sources
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH063580651033.aspx

-- 
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"David G." <DavidG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:69708115-3868-404D-B313-B65F360D6CCC@microsoft.com...
> Well you got it right Mary. However, I would like to avoid entering the group
> headings manually. Publisher doesn't have this ability? I need to sort a list
> of doctors by the city they live in and then display the start of each group
> with a header.
> -- 
> David Guthu
>
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Not sure I know what you are wanting to do.
>> Try the catalog merge, in step five convert to publication, insert your group
>> headings.
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx
>>
>> -- 
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>> "David G." <DavidG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:C9882A94-FC86-464A-BC1C-1F75D192E1F9@microsoft.com...
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > I need to be able to group records from a data source and display a group
>> > header. How can I accomplish this in Publisher 2003?
>> >
>> > -- 
>> > David Guthu
>>
>>
>> 


0
gsauer (5093)
8/18/2005 3:08:46 PM
Integrate the information in the db? I'm confused? The data is in the db. The 
field I need to group on is City. I need Publisher to printer a header that's 
a different font and what not from the rest of the records. Unless I 
misunderstand you.
-- 
David Guthu


"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Integrate the information in the database.
> 
> Data sources
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH063580651033.aspx
> 
> -- 
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> news://msnews.microsoft.com
> "David G." <DavidG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:69708115-3868-404D-B313-B65F360D6CCC@microsoft.com...
> > Well you got it right Mary. However, I would like to avoid entering the group
> > headings manually. Publisher doesn't have this ability? I need to sort a list
> > of doctors by the city they live in and then display the start of each group
> > with a header.
> > -- 
> > David Guthu
> >
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> Not sure I know what you are wanting to do.
> >> Try the catalog merge, in step five convert to publication, insert your group
> >> headings.
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >> news://msnews.microsoft.com
> >> "David G." <DavidG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:C9882A94-FC86-464A-BC1C-1F75D192E1F9@microsoft.com...
> >> > Greetings,
> >> >
> >> > I need to be able to group records from a data source and display a group
> >> > header. How can I accomplish this in Publisher 2003?
> >> >
> >> > -- 
> >> > David Guthu
> >>
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
DavidG (9)
8/18/2005 7:51:10 PM
If you have sorted your data by city, maybe you can insert a new line above each city 
name with text that would not disturb the sort. When you merge and covert the data to 
a publication, you can change the dummy line to your heading with any font.

This will work with the catalog merge.

-- 
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"David G." <DavidG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:A0C9F55B-0AFA-4306-9C8E-B474193D5A70@microsoft.com...
> Integrate the information in the db? I'm confused? The data is in the db. The
> field I need to group on is City. I need Publisher to printer a header that's
> a different font and what not from the rest of the records. Unless I
> misunderstand you.
> -- 
> David Guthu
>
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Integrate the information in the database.
>>
>> Data sources
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH063580651033.aspx
>>
>> -- 
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>> "David G." <DavidG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:69708115-3868-404D-B313-B65F360D6CCC@microsoft.com...
>> > Well you got it right Mary. However, I would like to avoid entering the group
>> > headings manually. Publisher doesn't have this ability? I need to sort a list
>> > of doctors by the city they live in and then display the start of each group
>> > with a header.
>> > -- 
>> > David Guthu
>> >
>> >
>> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Not sure I know what you are wanting to do.
>> >> Try the catalog merge, in step five convert to publication, insert your group
>> >> headings.
>> >> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx
>> >>
>> >> -- 
>> >> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> >> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> >> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>> >> "David G." <DavidG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:C9882A94-FC86-464A-BC1C-1F75D192E1F9@microsoft.com...
>> >> > Greetings,
>> >> >
>> >> > I need to be able to group records from a data source and display a group
>> >> > header. How can I accomplish this in Publisher 2003?
>> >> >
>> >> > -- 
>> >> > David Guthu
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>> 


0
gsauer (5093)
8/19/2005 8:52:04 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

pics printing in wrong place
Does anyone know why my pictures print in the wrong place? I have several pics from the same source in my publication, however, some of them print correctly and others don't. I've noticed that the ones printing incorrectly are all going to the upper left hand corner of the page. I'm very new at using Publisher and suspect that my problem may be my print driver,in which case, i'm clueless as to how to fix it. I'm using publisher 2002 and a KYOCERA-MITA 4030 printer. Hi terracotta (terracotta@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || Does anyone kno...

Problems with outgoing e-mail
I am having problems sending e-mails out using my Outlook. I am using a high speed connection in my hotel room. The IT person from the hotel said it's because of their security system (spoofing!?!). I am able to use my browser just fine, Yahoo mail works fine, I receive mail in Outlook fine, but can't send any out The error I get is "The SMTP server name you specified cannot be found". The "My server requires authentication" is checked. I'm afraid it is not my Outlook, and the hotel can't do anything else I appreciate anyone's help. On Wed, 19 May 2004...

IMCEA
I am new to Microsoft exchange and am looking out for details on IMCEA (a.k.a. Internet Mail Connector Encapsulated Addressing). 1) The first very basis question is what is IMCEA. 2) How does routing happen when we send an email using IMCEA. 3) Does exchange strip IMCEA<type> string before send the destination address to connector or it sends it as is. E.g. Suppose I have a connector that can understand SMS address type. Now, using OL i send an email to IMCEASMS-123456789@localdomain.local. In this scenario, what will be the recipient addres in my connector? a) IMCEASMS-123456789@l...

Public Folder Calendar printing
Hello, I'm running Outlook 2003 in an MS Exchange 5.5 environment. One of my users posed the question of why they cannot print the daily view of a Public Folder calendar. The weekly view prints just fine but whenever, they (or even me, and I'm the owner) try to print a daily view, they get the following error message: "This folder cannot be opened because there is a configuration problem on the server. Contact your Microsoft Exchange Server administrator for assistance." I haven't been able to find anything in Outlook help, Technet or Slipstick. Anyone have any clue...

can't print black
I have installed a lexmark 6570 fax wireless. It would not print any doc's in black ink prints beautiful color pictures. I uninstalled and reinstalled did not help. I figured is was the printer. Installed an HP F4280 all in one, same problem. can someone get me some advice!!! -- twilltwo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ twilltwo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/180192.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1297957.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Group Permission on Public Folders
Hello I am curious if its possible by any means to add a DL as having rights to a public folder(as if to add a security group)? Rather then one'sies and two'sies of user rights to folders. thanks e- "Eric - ARUP" <EricARUP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am curious if its possible by any means to add a DL as having rights to a >public folder(as if to add a security group)? Rather then one'sies and >two'sies of user rights to folders. Exchange 5.5? Sure. Exchange 2000/2003? It should be a mail-enabled security group, not a distribution g...

Printing from Arranged View
Is it possible to print two workbooks, that are in a Horizontal Arranged View, at the same time and one one page? For example, workbook A (sheet1) and workbook B (sheet 1) are arranged together in a horizontal view and I like to print the contents of this view on one page. I tried the arranged feature and the compare side by side feature but did not avail. Neo, Excel prints one sheet at a time, on as many pages as it takes. It won't combine sheets. The view settings have no effect on printing. To get stuff from two sheets to print on one page, you'd have to link the d...

Options -> Security -> Zone -> Internet printing
Hi, I have a user whose Outlook 2003 settings are as follows: Options -> Security -> Zone -> Internet Any time they receive any email with graphics etc they are unable to print that email. I tried to do the same on my PC, and am also not able to print (with those settings) How do we get this to be printed? Thanks Does it work in Restricted sites zone? That's the default setting. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:...

Forwarding e-mail with rules from another e-mail address.
Hi, I have two e-mail accounts. Once I manually forward my mail from the other account to my other e-mail account, I would like Company X's mail to go in the Company X's folder. Any ideas as to how to set up a rule for this? Thanks in advance. Just edit the Rule to add a move action. <moochito@invalid.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:99cmp1pkc7qnp96bp4k72aiogvc11jntb4@4ax.com... > Hi, > > I have two e-mail accounts. > > Once I manually forward my mail from the other account to my other > e-mail account, I would like Company X's mail to go in the C...

Print button on Report form
Hi all :-) =20 Access 2007 Pro Plus, Vista Ultimate SP2 I am preparing a small app for a friend who is handicapped, and am = trying to make things as simple as possible for them to use. I am trying = to limit the number of functions and clicks necessary to accomplish = tasks as much as possible, and would like to try an idea. I want to add a small button on the report form that will print the = report when clicked. I have done this on display forms to print as a = report, but, not on a report form. In trying to add such a button to the = report form in 2007 I am not being offered...

windows mail
My windows mail is not working, it will not let me send out any messages and this just started today, I was able to send out messages a couple days ago. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Thanks Diana, This newsgroup deals with Microosft Acccess, a relational database application. Your best bet is to try a newsgroup that deals with your particular email program. (Outlook? OutlookExpress?) -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job that you love... and you'll neve...

Error created when try to Print Preview or Print
When try to print or print preview system is generating an error: "Print titles must be contiguous and complete rows or columns." Used excel for years ever seen this error before. Using Excel 2007 on Vista, we just upgraded to SP2 for both systems. After testing a few times, I notice that system is generating a Name Range with no referencing cell range, the name range is called Print_Titles. If I delete the name range it removes the error message and able to use print preview and able to print. Notice it is occurring more ofter when client is copying a worksheet to ...

Howto not print a background color
In my wrksht a cell range is highlighted as an indicator to various users, the highlight is a background autofill color. I would like to print with out this background color subject in the printed version. Thanks---Jeff ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements Jeff File>Page Setup>Sheet Checkmark "Black and White". Gord Dibben XL2002 On Wed, 3 ...

Flag a value in a group...
Hi all, tia for any insight. I have the following query that gives some totals for qty's in a releases table, pulling and grouping information (part number, rev and desc) from a details table. Table heirarchy is (one to manys) tblOrders -> tblOrderDetails -> tblOrderReleases SELECT tblOrderDetails.fldPart, tblOrderDetails.fldRev, tblOrderDetails.fldDescription, Min(tblOrderReleases.fldDueDate) AS cfldFirstDue, Sum([tblOrderReleases].[fldQty])-Sum([tblOrderReleases].[fldQtyToBE]) AS cfldQtyToProcess FROM tblOrders LEFT JOIN (tblOrderDetails LE...

blocking incomming mail
How do I block incomming mail except from addresses I have in my address book? Outlook version please??????? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, George asked: | How do I block incomming mail except from addresses I have in my | address book? What version of Outlook do you have ? Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] wrote: > Outlook version please??????? > > --=81 > Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] > > P...

Junk mail folder synchronization
Dear all, Our server is running win server 08 + exchange 07 and our staff use outlook 03. We all have two mailboxes in outlook, one is server mailbox, another one is pst file store in local pc. We have the email synchronize problem in junk mail folder that some of the junk mail auto synchronize to local pc mailbox but some of the junk mail received in server mailbox. Why some of the junk mail cannot receive in local pst mailbox? Is it having some problem on Exchange server? Thank you very much. Best regards, KenL "KenL" <goukilee@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message news:uM...

Can I print one page landscape and the next page portrait on same.
I am trying to print the 3 pages of one worksheet and can not figure out how to make page one print out as landscape, page 2 to print out as portrait and page 3 to print out as landscape. I'd record a macro when I printed page 1 as landscape, then page 2 as portrait and then page 3 as landscape. So I could just rerun that macro when I needed it. lisajillian wrote: > > I am trying to print the 3 pages of one worksheet and can not figure out how > to make page one print out as landscape, page 2 to print out as portrait and > page 3 to print out as landscape. -- Dave Pet...

numerals in a mail merge
Word 2003 on Windows XP I have some numbers with varying numbers of decimals. I have them in Excel. I formated them with two decimal places. When I bring them in to Word as a data source, they are showing a larger number of decimal places in some cases. 0.2 in Excel may come out as .200000000001, for example. ( I am guessing at the number of zeroes) Next, I copied the numbers and pasted them in NotePad to lose any formating and then pasted them into a new spreadsheet. But when I bring these into a mail merge, I am getting the same results. What am I doing wrong? I would l...

Undelivered message for mail I didn't send
I'm starting to get some "undelivered mail" messages and the address that is shown is one that I haven't sent mail to, EVER. What is wrong, and how do I fix it? Thanks. is it spam or legit mail? Spammers often forge the from address so it has a better chance of getting through spam filters. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and...

looking for mail server for testing client on local machine
I am developing software for add-in on Outlook client, but am doing this in a 'closed' development environment. I'm looking for a 'pseudo-mail-server' that could run on the local machine to send and receive emails (testing environment only). Someone must have done this before.... If you use your favorite search engine for look for "free POP3 server," = you should find what you need.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart ...

Print preview difference in MFC42 and MFC71
When my project was compiled under VC++ 6.0, when print preview is activated, the preview window is an SDI window However, under VC++.Net 2003, the print preview is now also a MDI child window, how can I change this behaviour? ...

Error when printing account numbers
Using Dyamics 9, whenever we try to print something out of Dynamics the account numbers don't print correctly. The numbers aren't what they should be and it prints squares instead of some numbers. For example, instead of printing 10-13400-000-0000 it prints 10-400X0- X0- (with squares in place of X's). This occurs anywhere we try to print within Dynamics, but doesn't occur when we use Frx to create reports. Additionally not every computer has this problem, but we can't find any difference between the computers that would cause this. Check the fonts assigned on ...

mail merge #19
I am trying to print 220+ newsletters with mail merge. in the past (without mail merge) they have printed form my computer to the copier (Toshiba estudio 3511) with out problems. they are 4 pages, ledger paper with a fold in the middle. when I tried to print them with mail merge, if I ask it to fold, it printed all the newsletters folded them in half all together. is there a way to print them individually, or is there a setting in publisher somewhere that will keep them from printing alltogether? From Ed Bennett: Publications are not individually collated and stapled when you use t...

Automized E-mail dispatch
Hi! I am looking for a way to automatically send an email each monday from a machine with no user logged in. Problem is, the mail needs to contain one of these outlook survey fields where receipients can click "Yes I have read this email and understood its contence" or something like that. Is there a way to do that without actually starting up outlook? Kind Regards Fabienne fabienne.rakusan@gmx.at <fabienne.rakusan@gmx.at> wrote: > I am looking for a way to automatically send an email each monday from > a machine with no user logged in. There MUST be a user logged i...

locating duplicate records in a 300,000 record file
I previously had help with writing a macro to eliminate duplicate records, and it worked great which told me there are two duplicate records. Now I need to quickly identify them. There is one column of numbers, sorted in numeric order. I just need to place an X in a helper column for each duplicate record so I can then sort by the helper column. Basically for this to be fast, I just want to compare one cell with the one above it. I've yet to figure out how to do that. Any help appreciated! I've googled up a storm and all I'm finding is deleting dupes or placing an X in a hel...