Font Styles and Formatting... Is it possible?

I do a lot of work in both English and Japanese and spend a great deal of
time formatting text.

Many times, I need the fonts for English and Japanese to be different sizes,
e.g., the English in Times New Roman 12pt, and the Japanese in MS Mincho
9pt, or vice versa depending on the document.

In Font Styles and Formatting, I can modify the default fonts and change the
styles throughout the document no problem, but there is only one choice for
the default font size, which is applied to both the Latin and Asian fonts.
Is there a way to be able to choose the font size for Latin and Asian fonts
individually? Doesn't seem to be able to be done in word either, could a
script be written?

The reasons I'm asking is because I just finished going through over 400
lines of alternating English and Japanese text changing the fonts by hand,
and I figure there's gotta be an easier way...

0
abc1949 (45)

Ummm... assign each their own style?

"JEM" <abc@def.com> wrote in message
> I do a lot of work in both English and Japanese and spend a great deal of
> time formatting text.
>

> Many times, I need the fonts for English and Japanese to be different
sizes,
> e.g., the English in Times New Roman 12pt, and the Japanese in MS Mincho
> 9pt, or vice versa depending on the document.
>

> In Font Styles and Formatting, I can modify the default fonts and change
the
> styles throughout the document no problem, but there is only one choice
for
> the default font size, which is applied to both the Latin and Asian fonts.
> Is there a way to be able to choose the font size for Latin and Asian
fonts
> individually? Doesn't seem to be able to be done in word either, could a
> script be written?
>

> The reasons I'm asking is because I just finished going through over 400
> lines of alternating English and Japanese text changing the fonts by hand,
> and I figure there's gotta be an easier way...

0
gregb5272 (18)
11/5/2004 3:29:10 PM
How? In the format menu there is only one option for font size... I.e., when
selecting the font size for the Latin text, the Asian text, by default, is
formatted with the same font size. Is there a way to assign font size for
Latin text and Asian text and have the font in text boxes format
automatically?

"MusicMan" <gregb@valleyho.com> wrote in message
> Ummm... assign each their own style?
>

> "JEM" <abc@def.com> wrote in message
>> I do a lot of work in both English and Japanese and spend a great deal of
>> time formatting text.
>>

>> Many times, I need the fonts for English and Japanese to be different
> sizes,
>> e.g., the English in Times New Roman 12pt, and the Japanese in MS Mincho
>> 9pt, or vice versa depending on the document.
>>

>> In Font Styles and Formatting, I can modify the default fonts and change
> the
>> styles throughout the document no problem, but there is only one choice
> for
>> the default font size, which is applied to both the Latin and Asian
>> fonts.
>> Is there a way to be able to choose the font size for Latin and Asian
> fonts
>> individually? Doesn't seem to be able to be done in word either, could a
>> script be written?
>>

>> The reasons I'm asking is because I just finished going through over 400
>> lines of alternating English and Japanese text changing the fonts by
>> hand,
>> and I figure there's gotta be an easier way...

0
abc1949 (45)

Custom format for scientific notation
Hello, I have a spreadsheet in which I would like one value to always be displayed in scientific notation with E6. The number gets put into a nomograph which uses values in the millions, so it's easiest to see if my value is written this way. Example: 1,234 would display as 0.001234E6 I've tried ##0.00E0, but if the value is less than 100,000 it displays as E3. Any ideas? Thanks! Melinda As long as you don't have any values greater than or equal to 1E9, you can fake it: Format/Cells/Number/Custom [<1000000]\0\.000000\E+6;##0.000000E+0 In article <C3991959-6...

import/export format in Outlook 2007
Hi, I was surprised when I discovered that Excel 2007 file format was not supported in Outlook 2007 import/export feature. Is there someone from Microsoft that could give me an explanation ? Fabien Majurel I'm not from MS but it could be that it wasn't deemed a priority for release since XLS export is available. "Fabien Majurel" <fabien.majurel@bewise.fr> wrote in message news:B43BCD74-9F97-4CCF-8D43-E11965016308@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I was surprised when I discovered that Excel 2007 file format was not > supported in Outlook 2007 import/expo...

Copying Conditional Formatting #3
I know how to use the Painter brush to copy the format but I have roughly 3,000 lines to do this to therefore I don't want to copy and paste either because I loose my current number in there. Is there a was to do this in large chunks? Thanks! Stacey Hi, Stacey. Use Copy on a cell that has the format you want, then highlight the range you want to contain this formatting. Click on Edit>Paste Special and select Formats from the choice box that opens. Now, ONLY your format will be pasted into the cells, leaving your data unchanged. HTH Info about the Format Painter. Double-cl...

Variable format is not what I expected?
I have the following code: Type ProdMatrix APN As Single ..... Dim ThisProd As ProdMatrix ..... tmpThisProd.APN = .Cells(tmpSrcRow, 2) The variable (taken from the cell) is supposed to contain the number 9317382120228, but instead contains 9.317382E+12 Then, when I execute the following code: With ThisProd Cells(LastRowDest, 1) = .APN & .StoreNo I get the result of 9.317382E+123201 in the cell where: ThisProd.APN = 9.317382E+12 ThisProd.StoreNo = 3201 I was expecting to get the number 93173821202283201. Why is the value of APN take...

Email address fields should not be formatted as a link
Email address fields in CRM are formatted in blue and underlined. This normally indicates a link in CRM. However, when users click on an email address, nothing happens. This does not meet users expectations. Email fields should either not be formatted as links or the field should perform an action when clicked on, like open up a new email in outlook pre-filled with the email address. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message...

Custom # format
Hello, I would like to display a number * 100, a percentage w/o the percent sign. For example, if I type in .55 I want the sheet to display the number as 55. How can I do this? Thanks -- jstalin ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jstalin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27030 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=439704 I don't think you can. Can you just type 55 and use A1/100 in subsequent formulas? Or use a helper cell to display what you want? jstalin wrote: >...

Change Date Format #2
I'm new to Excel 2007. My problem is that I do not know how to stop Excel from automatically converting text to a date format. For example, when I enter data in a cell such as: Smith v Jones 06-91, Excel automatically changes 06-91 to Jun-91. Data entered as Smith v Jones 06-3412 remains 06-3412. How do I stop Excel from automatically changing 06-91 to Jun-91? "06" does mean June but it should stay as "06". Thanks. > How do I stop Excel from automatically changing 06-91 to Jun-91? You can either precede the input: 06-91 with an apostrophe ('), or ...

number format
hello my numbers are formatted using question marks, so i can center them and still justify them by the decimal point. for ex. a column of numbers with 2345678 being the largest of them, will be formatted with the string: ?,???,??0;-?,???,??0;- this way i can center the column, and all numbers will straighten to the right, by the decimal point. zeros appear as hyphens. the problem is with the minus signs. if on the previous example i will have -2345, it will look like this: - 2,345 (the minus sign away from the digits). any suggestions? i still wish to center the column. if i give this ...

Please include fonts from previous versions ('98) in new versions
I used a lot of fonts from Office '98 that I can't find now. How do I find them? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=1dc58339-c737-4861-b8bf-e05d6af0fdd8&dg=microsoft.public.excel....

Conditional Formatting in Excel 2007
Hi I just found out that Excel 2007 Conditional Formatting has drastiically changed from Excel 2003. I happend to download the Free Excel Manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/ms-office-training-manuals.html but it doesn't seem to talk about this feature at all! Any help or links will be highly appreciated! Cheers Amit Check out http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/excel2007/excel2007s6p2.html -- Jacob "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Hi > > I just found out that Excel 2007 Conditional Formatting has > drastiically changed from Excel 2003. I ...

Change format of one cell based on another
Hi. How do I change the format of one cell eg make the fill colour of cell A1 yellow, based on another eg if cell A4 is greater than 100%? Thanks. format...conditional formattin -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Thanks, but how do you reference another cell? >-----Original Message----- >format...conditional formatting > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > >. > in conditional formatting under condition 1 select "formula is" and the put in the formula you wan -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com &q...

application wide font setting
Is there a way of defining an application wide default font? Is somehow annoying to take care of this everywhere I draw some text. TIA -- Torsten Not easily. It's easier to call SelectObject(GetStockObject(DEFAULT_GUI_FONT)). The alternative would be to make all your window classes CS_OWNDC and do the SelectObject only once. This wastes a bit of memory on NT/2K/XP, and eats up system resources on 95/98/Me. -- Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK) http://www.themobius.co.uk/ "Torsten Curdt" <tcurdt-REMOVE@web.de> wrote in message news:bj4adj$everv$1@ID-37954.news.uni-berlin....

Excel-Linking Cells & Formatting
Morning everyone, I think my question has been addressed in a couple of different ways, but I want to be exactly sure. I have combinations of formulas that display different text paragraphs in a single cell depending on the input. My problem is that the text that is displayed is not retaining its formatting from where it is originally entered (I.e., bold, underline, etc.). Also I am using text wrap, but the rows are not re-sizing to compensate for the different lengths of the resulting text. Anyone know of a way around these two problems? Thanks in advance, Nomad Hi formulas can't ...

How to format the date in different cells
I work in a doctor´┐Żs office in a hospital, and the Chief Physiotherapist asked me to redo their yearly schedules. I based myself on their previous schedule, but added color and style to it. We use at the hospital the software Excel 2000. So, in cell B1, from the Menu, I clicked: Format, Cells, Number, Date, and in Type, I chose the format **Wednesday, March 14, 2001*. I had to repeat the same process to cell B9, B17, B25, up to B97, changing the date accordingly in each cell. The Physiotherapist was impressed by my work, but had a concern regarding the individual dating of the cells. H...

Excel 2003 - VBA
I have a 5 column table that I convert to a simple one column table, which I copy and paste in an email. I do this to simplfy and ensure compatibility. The columns are: Code, Account #, Value, Name and Account type I would like this table to appear in even columns so I did the following, to handle that some of these columns will hold data of differing length (ex: Value or Name) Changed the font to Courier (even character spacing) Calculated the number of spaces needed to create even columns and concatenated the columns with the spacing into a single column. The problem that I have, is how it ...

Format numbres to 32nds
I download prices from quote service on 30 Treasury Bond futures. They are downloaded as i.e. 11320, meaning 113 20/32. When using the original format in a formula it treats it as a whole number. How can I convert this original format to be treated as 32nds. =INT(A1/100)+(MOD(A1,100)/32) Format Custom as "# ?/32" if you like -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "martinkn" <martinkn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6BA90ED-A3CA-4438-B08B-D94AC6ED9A93@microsoft.com... >I download prices from quote service on 30 Treasury Bond futures. They ar...

Global fix for scientific number format?
Does anyone know if there is a way to globally change the format of a number that displays as a scientific number? For example, I have a column of numbers that are being displayed like "0348489+E", etc... If I change the format to text, it still doesn't help. I have tried the apostrophe before the number and it does seem to change it to the number that I need it to be, however, I have about 10,000 numbers that I need to put the apostrophe in front of and can't possibly do it to each one individually. Is there any way to do this to all of the numbers at once? ...

Help, with formatting issue?
Under Outlook in tool/options / mail format, if I have it set to plain text and I create new mail, I do not have the ability to select formatting options. Try it, it shows up under customize ok, as soon as you select ok under customize, it blanks out. If I choose to use Microsoft Outlook Rich Text, I can't send some attachments to Outlook express users. Any one able to confirm this? Its driving me nuts.... -- Greg Eshleman ETEMCO 1370 Arcadia Road Lancaster, PA. 17601 717-393-9653 http://www.etemco.net geshlema@etemco.net What about using HTML format instead? It's open st...

open a 2002 file format with Access 2000
My database was created from Access 2000 and then was converted in Access 2002 format. My german colleague has only the Access 2000 software, so she obtained the following message "this database shows an unknown format, it has probably been created with a later version of access, you should update your access version". The problem is that, even after the use of the Access tool "converting into the previous version", she gets the message "could not create the database window, please update to a new version of internet explorer". I don't see what IE has ...

Total number of Jan 2007 entries in a list of date formatted field
I have a report that captures work done by sales reps. For each entry there exists a date. This report is exported in Excel format and the date is captured as mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm. I would like to have a column that lists the number of work entries by Jan 2007, Feb 2007, Mar 2007, etc. I am at a loss as to how I can conditionally count the occurrence based on the month and the year in this date field. Thanks in advance. =SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(B2:B200)=2007),--(MONTH(B2:B200)=1)) where B2:B200 holds the dates you can expand on that if you want to count for an individual =SUMPRODUCT(--(A...

conditional format multiple colours #2
not sure i understand about testing for a string? I undersand about using condtional fomat for 4 values , but I have possiblty of 8 Joh -- atme ----------------------------------------------------------------------- atmel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1615 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27586 John, I mean that I am reading that the cell will contain say '0800 - 15:00', not a time value, so you test for a string not a number. If you have 8 it is probably best to use worksheet events. Here is an ...

Save graph formatting
I have formatted my pivot graph but every time I refresh or change the pivot, the graph reverts back to a different default. I have saved it as a default graph. Have you tried unclicking the checkbox for 'AutoFormat table' in the PivotTable Options window? -- Hope this helps. If it does, please click the Yes button. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Gary Brown "Teresa" wrote: > I have formatted my pivot graph but every time I refresh or change the pivot, > the graph reverts back to a different default. I have saved it as a default >...

Conditional Formatting and Borders
I'm trying to add thick borderlines on my spreadsheet using conditional formatting. But the "thick" option is not available. I observed the code using the macro recorder which produced Sub ConditionalFormat1() Range("A5:O428").Select Selection.FormatConditions.Delete Selection.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="=$A5<>$A6" With Selection.FormatConditions(1).Borders(xlBottom) .LineStyle = xlContinuous .Weight = xlThin .ColorIndex = 3 End With End Sub .... I thought I could chagne the ...

File format problems!
Hi all. I have created a poster in publisher which contains both images and text. However, when I save this in any format other than a publisher file, it appears blurred and disported. (The same happens in I copy and paste it into another programe.) What can I do? I need to change the format in order to send the file. Mny Help would be appreciated. Eddy Eliaz <eddyeliaz@hotmail.com> was recently heard to utter: > Hi all. I have created a poster in publisher which > contains both images and text. However, when I save this > in any format other than a publisher file,...

Cell colour format according to date
If a cell value is equal to today I want the colour to change to red. I have entered =TODAY as a conditional formatting value but the cell colour does not change. The cell has been formatted as ddd dd mmm. Any ideas please. Thanks in advance for any help John Hi John Try the below 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Form...