Font Styles and Formatting... Is it possible?

I do a lot of work in both English and Japanese and spend a great deal of
time formatting text.

Many times, I need the fonts for English and Japanese to be different sizes,
e.g., the English in Times New Roman 12pt, and the Japanese in MS Mincho
9pt, or vice versa depending on the document.

In Font Styles and Formatting, I can modify the default fonts and change the
styles throughout the document no problem, but there is only one choice for
the default font size, which is applied to both the Latin and Asian fonts.
Is there a way to be able to choose the font size for Latin and Asian fonts
individually? Doesn't seem to be able to be done in word either, could a
script be written?

The reasons I'm asking is because I just finished going through over 400
lines of alternating English and Japanese text changing the fonts by hand,
and I figure there's gotta be an easier way...

0
abc1949 (45)

Ummm... assign each their own style?

"JEM" <abc@def.com> wrote in message
> I do a lot of work in both English and Japanese and spend a great deal of
> time formatting text.
>

> Many times, I need the fonts for English and Japanese to be different
sizes,
> e.g., the English in Times New Roman 12pt, and the Japanese in MS Mincho
> 9pt, or vice versa depending on the document.
>

> In Font Styles and Formatting, I can modify the default fonts and change
the
> styles throughout the document no problem, but there is only one choice
for
> the default font size, which is applied to both the Latin and Asian fonts.
> Is there a way to be able to choose the font size for Latin and Asian
fonts
> individually? Doesn't seem to be able to be done in word either, could a
> script be written?
>

> The reasons I'm asking is because I just finished going through over 400
> lines of alternating English and Japanese text changing the fonts by hand,
> and I figure there's gotta be an easier way...

0
gregb5272 (18)
11/5/2004 3:29:10 PM
How? In the format menu there is only one option for font size... I.e., when
selecting the font size for the Latin text, the Asian text, by default, is
formatted with the same font size. Is there a way to assign font size for
Latin text and Asian text and have the font in text boxes format
automatically?

"MusicMan" <gregb@valleyho.com> wrote in message
> Ummm... assign each their own style?
>

> "JEM" <abc@def.com> wrote in message
>> I do a lot of work in both English and Japanese and spend a great deal of
>> time formatting text.
>>

>> Many times, I need the fonts for English and Japanese to be different
> sizes,
>> e.g., the English in Times New Roman 12pt, and the Japanese in MS Mincho
>> 9pt, or vice versa depending on the document.
>>

>> In Font Styles and Formatting, I can modify the default fonts and change
> the
>> styles throughout the document no problem, but there is only one choice
> for
>> the default font size, which is applied to both the Latin and Asian
>> fonts.
>> Is there a way to be able to choose the font size for Latin and Asian
> fonts
>> individually? Doesn't seem to be able to be done in word either, could a
>> script be written?
>>

>> The reasons I'm asking is because I just finished going through over 400
>> lines of alternating English and Japanese text changing the fonts by
>> hand,
>> and I figure there's gotta be an easier way...

0
abc1949 (45)

My styles as default in new email
Hi all, I've posted a similar question to this a couple times, but each time I get better at describing what I'm really looking for. :-) Thanks for your patience. I have some styles that I'm partial to (Normal and Heading 1-9 with bullets), and when I open a new email in Outlook 2007 I want those to be the default styles. I don't want to have to choose a Quick Style. I don't want a custom form. I've tried editing the NormalEmail.dotm, but it doesn't produce the desired results: new emails don't have the styles I define in the template. I've struggled ...

Condtional Formatting and Standard Deviation
Trying to ascertain if there is a bug in Excel 2007, or I'm misinterpreting how "Conditional Formatting" works. In short, I have a series of investment returns where I want to check for outliers beyond two and three standard deviations. I used the "Conditional Formatting" style box, and highlighted the cells appropriately. For one population, the mean is 2.55 with a standard deviation of .73 Thus, when I'm checking for +/- two standard deviations, values less than 1.09 (2.55 - 2*.73) and greater than 4.01 (2.55 + 2*.73) should show up with their ...

MFC Edit box
Hey everyone, is it easy (possible) to change the font within an Edit Controll just for a certain small section of text? (I.e. I don't want to change the entire box's font, just a portion of 1 lines). So that I could write something like <SMITH> Hey how's thing? Where the <SMITH> would be Bold and Red, and the rest of the text would be standard and black. Can I do this with the Edit Control or is their another fairly simple way to do that you know of? (Basically creating an Instant Messanger type format). Thank for the help :) Use the CRichEditCtrl instead of...

changed the border style, now I crash
Hi- I messed around with the look of my dialog using the editor (border styles, font, etc) when I tried to debug, I get an exception on this line: pThread->m_pMainWnd->DestroyWindow(); I have NO idea what any of that is even doing. I jsut starting using MFC a couple days ago.. If anyone has any ideas what this is all about or where I should look for a problem, please share. I would appreciate it. Thanks- Steve solved. Please Disregard. Thanks. "Steve" <steve@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:erpUAhz6DHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi- > > I messed...

conditional formatting #5
I have 3 columns 1) is the order quanity 2)is the box 3)is the # of boxes If it is not even boxes it will come up as a decimal. I want my decimal numbers to come up in red . How can i do this Hi traci, Use conditional formatting to do this. Select the range of cells that you want to format in this manner. Go to Format>Conditional Format. Select Formula Is and enter this formula: =A1<>INT(A1) Adjust the actual references to meet your needs. Select the format styles that you would like then OK out. Biff >-----Original Message----- >I have 3 columns 1) is the order quani...

Font Error Message
Trying to determine what triggered this error message and why. Anybody know?? "No more new fonts may be applied in this workbook" Hi Glen & Tracy, Try perhaps: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q215573 --- Regards, Norman "Glenn and Tracy Brown" <gbrown198@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23Tnt6aV7FHA.1420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Trying to determine what triggered this error message and why. Anybody > know?? > > "No more new fonts may be applied in this workbook" > > ...

Is it possible to stop the Recent Folder acctivity.
I would like to stop XP from recording data to the Recent folder. worker wrote: > I would like to stop XP from recording data to the Recent folder. Get Microsoft's TweakUI powertoy for Windows XP. The following options might satisfy your wants: Explorer: Clear document history on exit: enable (exit = logoff) Common Dialogs: Enable auto-complete: disable Remember previously-used filenames: disable worker wrote: > I would like to stop XP from recording data to the Recent folder. Right-click on the Taskbar, Properties, (Start Menu) Customize, Advance...

Formatting charts
Hi there, I am playing around with a chart and would like to draw the legend of the particular graph outside the chart area Is this possible ? When I try dragging it... it stops at the graph border box. Appreciate any suggestions ! Thanks BRian ...

Formatting a cell for time
I have several thousand cells formatted for time as hh:mm:ss AM/PM. In the cell, the time is only showing as 09:00:00. I can get the AM or PM to appear only be entering the cell and pressing Return. Is there a quick way for me to do this on all cells (i.e., by a range)? Thanks! Hi format the cells with hh:mm am -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Maria wrote: > I have several thousand cells formatted for time as > hh:mm:ss AM/PM. In the cell, the time is only showing as > 09:00:00. I can get the AM or PM to appear only be > entering the cell and pressing Retur...

Formatting entries in userform textbox
I'm using a userform for enter dates and times into a worksheet. is there a way of formatting the data as it's input like in an Access form? or is there a way to use an Access form to enter the data into Excel? thanks. I don't use access, but you could validate it when the user is leaving the textbox: Option Explicit Private Sub TextBox1_Exit(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean) If IsDate(Me.TextBox1.Value) Then Me.TextBox1.Value = Format(CDate(Me.TextBox1.Value), "mm/dd/yyyy") Else Cancel = True End If End Sub Or maybe you can present...

Conditional formating more that 3 cells
In need help. The conditional formatting I want goes in cells A1 to A10 and also M1 to M10. The conditions in cell A1 is: If the text in cell D1 is "ant" the cell color in A1 should be Yellow If the text in cell D1 is "noa" the cell color in A1 should be Pale Blue If the text in cell D1 is "nop" the cell color in A1 should be Tan If the text in cell D1 is "vac" the cell color in A1 should be Pink If the text in cell D1 is "req" the cell color in A1 should be Bright Green If the text in cell D1 is "off" the color in A1 should be Pl...

Change what style is used for TOC
Right now I have a style called "Chapter Title", and then I have used Heading 1, and 2 for the sub headings. When I tried to make a table of contents, it left out the chapter titles and used only the headings. How do I either: (1) rename the Headings (so that Heading 2 becomes 3, 1 becomes 2, and "Chapter Title" becomes 1), OR (2) get the table of contents to follow a customized set of stiles (so that my chapter titles will be included)? thanks, jason In article <dfc221d1-7178-4c5f-a5b7-329f1dd2ddd4@z3g2000prz.googlegroups.com>, paws_galuten <jason...

Unrecognized format
Hello, I packaged an A2007 database and installed it on a client's machine with the runtime. A couple days ago I did a test install on another machined, and everything went well. This time I tried to open the DB and got an Unrecorgnized Format message and another suggesting that the database version might be later than the version of Access or the VBA module mighrt be corrupted. On the icon I put the path to the Access runtime, which I believe is in an Office12 subfolder of Office. I got the same error message. Then I copied the database's .accde file onto the clients mach...

Apply built-in style heading 1 to paragraphs where the word "Speaker" occurs
Dear Experts: I would like to have a macro that performs the following task: As soon as the macro hits the word "Speaker", built-in style heading 1 is to applied to the paragraph where the word "Speaker" occurs. Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas A macro isn't required for this. All you need is the Replace dialog. In the Replace dialog, click the More button to expand the bottom half. Click in the Find What box and enter the word Speaker. I assume you wouldn't want to reformat a paragraph that contain...

Default Fonts
Word 2007 appears to default to Calibri and double spaced. I understand how to change it for myself, but I would like to know how to change it at installation time, or for all users, so that everyone will get the corporate font as default. Is it possible?? Harry, How are you deploying Office to your users? -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit. "Harry Hornet" <HarryHornet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8ADCDEF2-7FAA-4137-856E-8004254F7D12@microsoft.com... > Word 2007 appears to default to Calibri an...

Special cell formatting problem!
Hi! I have this quite annoying problem wh=EDt copy-paste special. I've made a macro that copies range of cells to another worksheet. Everything goes fine, but I need to add ' ', to every cell where I paste cells. Cells containing only numbers are fine, with custom cell formatting. I just can't get those characters added to cells containing only text. Text and numbers should go after first ' . I would really appreciate any help and I have this feeling its really easy trick and I'm just looking an answer from wrong place. Heres an example to clear out what I mean: c...

how do i change the font size on drop down cell validation lists
I want to cahange the font size on my drop down cells. I can't find a way to do that in excel or thruogh visual basic. It is easier to read the workbook at 75%, but, when I do that, the drop down cells(data validation list) are too small to read.Help!! hi, what do you mean by dropdown cells. comboboxes maybe. if so the on the toolbox menu,click design. then right click the combobox. click properties. click font then the small gray box that appears to the rights. fonts and fontsizes can be change here. >-----Original Message----- >I want to cahange the font size on my drop dow...

Alternating Font Help
In my job, I create inspect reports where I combine fonts within a single cell in Excel. I can do this manualy by changing the font but it is very slow. In Word I can make a simple macro that changes the font as I need and another macro to change the font back. I cannot do this in Excel. Does someone know of a quick way to accomplish the combining of fonts? Thanks in advance. Don't expect an answer within 18 minutes of posting give it two days. While most questions are answered fairly quickly like within 2 hours, don't count on it always happening. The nice thing about news...

Formating Comments field in Contacts, Changes often don't stay
I've noticed that I can change the text formatting on words in the comment field in some of my contacts and not others. For example, if I make certain words bold, save and come back. Occasionally changes aren't kept. All I see is plain text. Thanks in advance ...

Is it possible to define a null value (a la -999.25)?
I've often been 'hassled' with charts not being able to handle null data. Is it possible to define a default null value that Excel charts will see as 'empty'? Use =NA() -- David Biddulph "Julian P." <Julian P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3041EBD5-FD83-4BBE-834F-14E296CF6741@microsoft.com... > I've often been 'hassled' with charts not being able to handle null data. > Is > it possible to define a default null value that Excel charts will see as > 'empty'? NA() isn't really emp...

How to keep the original format of copied text
When I copy text in MS Word 2003 it arrives at the new location with an extra (empty) line at the end. When I try to delete this line it causes the just moved text to revert to the defalult text of the current document. FOR EXAMPLE: I copy a paragraph that is Arial 10pt into a document that is Arial 12pt. The copy brings an extra line at the end. When I try to delete that extra line it causes the just pasted text to change to Arial 12pt......my problem is that I want to keep the original format. when you paste text in a word document from a different file, at the bottom of th...

PO Integration-date format
Hi Folks I'm using ver 10 sp 4 and I need to integrate PO's in a terminal server environment. I've used a 'test' user with the date set to the American format of yyyy/mm/dd the PO will come in just fine. Problem is that we are in South Africa and our date format is dd/mm/yyyy. The PO won't come in against that format. I am using the Excel driver. Does anyone have an idea how I can bring PO's in without the date format being American? Many thanks Sheila Sheila, Please take a look at my article "Supported Date Formats in Integration Manager"...

multiple data label formats #2
Thanks for your help Andy, I'll look into it -- ob3ron0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ob3ron02's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1545 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27275 ...

How to add date format into if statement?
Does anyone know how to add date format into if statement? such as If(A1="1-Mar-2005", 1,0) Thank you Eric I want to determine whether the day and month only are within certain period? such as If "10-Mar-2005" is between "1-Mar" and "14-May" and ignore the year, then return 1, else return 0. Reture value should be 1 in this case. Thank you Eric One way: =IF(A1=DATE(2005,3,1),1,0) or, more efficiently =--(A1=DATE(2005,3,1) since XL treats boolean operators (TRUE/FALSE) as 1/0 in math operations (negation, then negation again). In article ...

Formatting a decimal representation of millions
Hi, How can I format a number in a cell such as 0.55 (the cell heading is $ millions in another cell to read $550K? Is this possible? Thanks, s This will return text: =TEXT(A1*1000000,"$0,")&"K" This will return a value (in millions): =A1*1000000 but give it a custom format of: $0,K (Format|cells|number tab|custom category) stunnie wrote: > > Hi, > > How can I format a number in a cell such as 0.55 (the cell heading is $ > millions in another cell to read $550K? Is this possible? > > Thanks, > > s -- Dave Peterson =TEXT(A1*100...