Files for printing

I am putting together a booklet which is going to be printed at a commercial
printers.  The printer doesn't know Publisher but said it will be fine if I
save it to a pdf and save all images to cmyk format.

My question is, do I need to save all the jpg's etc. to cmyk format and put
them back in - or can I simply save the file in the print options to 'output
composite cmyk'?

This is a regular 40 page booket that I am getting printed so I want to make
my life as easy as possible!

Many thanks

0
chis (79)

Sorry - forgot to mention - using Publisher 2003
"ChrisB" <chis@wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am putting together a booklet which is going to be printed at a
>commercial printers.  The printer doesn't know Publisher but said it will
>be fine if I save it to a pdf and save all images to cmyk format.
>
> My question is, do I need to save all the jpg's etc. to cmyk format and
> put them back in - or can I simply save the file in the print options to
> 'output composite cmyk'?
>
> This is a regular 40 page booket that I am getting printed so I want to
> make my life as easy as possible!
>
> Many thanks

0
chis (79)
8/13/2005 8:22:29 AM
Lots of help here:
Commercial printing
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH062524641033.aspx

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"ChrisB" <chis@wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am putting together a booklet which is going to be printed at a commercial
>printers.  The printer doesn't know Publisher but said it will be fine if I save it
>to a pdf and save all images to cmyk format.
>
> My question is, do I need to save all the jpg's etc. to cmyk format and put them
> back in - or can I simply save the file in the print options to 'output composite
> cmyk'?
>
> This is a regular 40 page booket that I am getting printed so I want to make my
> life as easy as possible!
>
> Many thanks

0
gsauer (5093)
8/13/2005 9:30:31 AM
Yes, thank you - I had looked there and it talks about saving file as cmyk
but doesn't specifically say that you have to save each jpg (or any other
picture) to cmyk - and I wonder if this is necessary?  it might be that the
printer is suggesting this as a fail-safe - as he has no knowledge of
Publisher??
"Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Lots of help here:
> Commercial printing
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH062524641033.aspx
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> "ChrisB" <chis@wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I am putting together a booklet which is going to be printed at a
>>commercial printers.  The printer doesn't know Publisher but said it will
>>be fine if I save it to a pdf and save all images to cmyk format.
>>
>> My question is, do I need to save all the jpg's etc. to cmyk format and
>> put them back in - or can I simply save the file in the print options to
>> 'output composite cmyk'?
>>
>> This is a regular 40 page booket that I am getting printed so I want to
>> make my life as easy as possible!
>>
>> Many thanks

0
chis (79)
8/13/2005 10:15:30 AM
ChrisB <chis@wanadoo.co.uk> was very recently heard to utter:
> My question is, do I need to save all the jpg's etc. to cmyk format
> and put them back in - or can I simply save the file in the print
> options to 'output composite cmyk'?

Leave all the images as they are, just tell Publisher to output composite
CMYK.  It will do all the colourspace conversions on printing to PDF.

(Note that the Adobe Acrobat 7 plugin for Publisher will not work for CMYK
Composite output from Publisher, you will need to either print to the Adobe
PDF printer or print to file and drop the PS file into Distiller.)

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6342)
8/13/2005 12:48:31 PM
This is most helpful - thank you.

Why would my printer think that I would need to save every picture to cmyk
first?  Is he just playing it safe?  The colours have to be perfect - we are
printing client's ads in a magazine.

To produce to pdf I have been using (although not tested on the printer
yet - a free program called pdf995 which does involve printing it to the
pdf995 printer which then produces the pdf.  Is this what you mean?  How
will I know if it is successful or not - is there anyway of testing before I
sent to printers?

Many thanks again.

Chris
> ChrisB <chis@wanadoo.co.uk> was very recently heard to utter:
>> My question is, do I need to save all the jpg's etc. to cmyk format
>> and put them back in - or can I simply save the file in the print
>> options to 'output composite cmyk'?
>
> Leave all the images as they are, just tell Publisher to output composite
> CMYK.  It will do all the colourspace conversions on printing to PDF.
>
> (Note that the Adobe Acrobat 7 plugin for Publisher will not work for CMYK
> Composite output from Publisher, you will need to either print to the
> Adobe PDF printer or print to file and drop the PS file into Distiller.)
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
chis (79)
8/13/2005 3:47:56 PM
ChrisB <chis@wanadoo.co.uk> was very recently heard to utter:
> Why would my printer think that I would need to save every picture to
> cmyk first?  Is he just playing it safe?  The colours have to be
> perfect - we are printing client's ads in a magazine.

Because many other professional-level DTP applications will not properly
separate RGB images when they are sent to the printer, so it is better to
convert them to CMYK before importing them.
Publisher does not deal well with images in CMYK format, so it is better to
let it separate RGB images at print.  The colours, in my experience, are
indistinguishable from the original image.

The PDF of course has to be in CMYK, and the pictures within the PDF will be
CMYK.  As your printer doesn't know Publisher, most likely he is giving
advice based on other applications with which he has experience.

> To produce to pdf I have been using (although not tested on the
> printer yet - a free program called pdf995 which does involve printing it
> the pdf995 printer which then produces the pdf.

I have not tested creation of CMYK composite PDFs with PDF995.  I see no
reason why it shouldn't work, but I cannot guarantee that it will.

> Is this what you
> mean?  How will I know if it is successful or not - is there anyway
> of testing before I sent to printers?

The tools you need to test this might be found in Adobe Reader, but I think
it is unlikely.
Your printer will have the tools and know-how to verify that your file is of
a suitable format.  Before going any further with your project, I'd
recommend generating a small sample PDF using the same procedure as you will
when you send the final copy to press, and ask your printer to take a look
at it to see whether it will work with his equipment.

(Note that as well as specifying CMYK composite in the Tools > Commercial
Print Tools > Color Printing dialog, you will also need to select it under
Advanced Print Settings in the File > Print dialog)

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6342)
8/13/2005 4:08:12 PM
OK that's great thanks.  I had been testing the advanced printing option and
hadn't seen the Tools > Commercial Printing...

So I need to:

1.  Select Tools > Commercial Printing > cmyk etc
2.  Select cmyk in the Advanced Printing
3.  Convert to pdf by sending to pdf printer

Many thanks for all your help

Chris
> ChrisB <chis@wanadoo.co.uk> was very recently heard to utter:
>> Why would my printer think that I would need to save every picture to
>> cmyk first?  Is he just playing it safe?  The colours have to be
>> perfect - we are printing client's ads in a magazine.
>
> Because many other professional-level DTP applications will not properly
> separate RGB images when they are sent to the printer, so it is better to
> convert them to CMYK before importing them.
> Publisher does not deal well with images in CMYK format, so it is better
> to let it separate RGB images at print.  The colours, in my experience,
> are indistinguishable from the original image.
>
> The PDF of course has to be in CMYK, and the pictures within the PDF will
> be CMYK.  As your printer doesn't know Publisher, most likely he is giving
> advice based on other applications with which he has experience.
>
>> To produce to pdf I have been using (although not tested on the
>> printer yet - a free program called pdf995 which does involve printing it
>> the pdf995 printer which then produces the pdf.
>
> I have not tested creation of CMYK composite PDFs with PDF995.  I see no
> reason why it shouldn't work, but I cannot guarantee that it will.
>
>> Is this what you
>> mean?  How will I know if it is successful or not - is there anyway
>> of testing before I sent to printers?
>
> The tools you need to test this might be found in Adobe Reader, but I
> think it is unlikely.
> Your printer will have the tools and know-how to verify that your file is
> of a suitable format.  Before going any further with your project, I'd
> recommend generating a small sample PDF using the same procedure as you
> will when you send the final copy to press, and ask your printer to take a
> look at it to see whether it will work with his equipment.
>
> (Note that as well as specifying CMYK composite in the Tools > Commercial
> Print Tools > Color Printing dialog, you will also need to select it under
> Advanced Print Settings in the File > Print dialog)
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
chis (79)
8/13/2005 6:26:32 PM
Chris,

<< The colours have to be perfect - we are
printing client's ads in a magazine. >>

I would send the printer a sample file and see how it turns out. Full
color ads in most magazines are not inexpensive, it would be worthwhile
to make sure you and the printer are on the same page BEFORE the
magazine with your ad in it is published.

Mike

ChrisB wrote:

> This is most helpful - thank you.
>
> Why would my printer think that I would need to save every picture to cmyk
> first?  Is he just playing it safe?  The colours have to be perfect - we are
> printing client's ads in a magazine.
>
> To produce to pdf I have been using (although not tested on the printer
> yet - a free program called pdf995 which does involve printing it to the
> pdf995 printer which then produces the pdf.  Is this what you mean?  How
> will I know if it is successful or not - is there anyway of testing before I
> sent to printers?
>
> Many thanks again.
>
> Chris
> "Ed Bennett" <the_nerd@mvps.org> wrote in message
>
>>ChrisB <chis@wanadoo.co.uk> was very recently heard to utter:
>>
>>>My question is, do I need to save all the jpg's etc. to cmyk format
>>>and put them back in - or can I simply save the file in the print
>>>options to 'output composite cmyk'?
>>
>>Leave all the images as they are, just tell Publisher to output composite
>>CMYK.  It will do all the colourspace conversions on printing to PDF.
>>
>>(Note that the Adobe Acrobat 7 plugin for Publisher will not work for CMYK
>>Composite output from Publisher, you will need to either print to the
>>Adobe PDF printer or print to file and drop the PS file into Distiller.)
>>
>>--
>>Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
wordwiz (948)
8/15/2005 12:19:52 AM
Just to follow up on this, we sent the printer some samples - 16 pages.

He printed it in CMYK and RGB.  The RGB version was the closest but both
were wrong.  The red's were not right and an ad we had in there for flowers
which had really vibrant colours looked dead and the red rose looked orange.
The CMYK version was totally wrong, although a couple of the ads (with
blues) looked better than the RGB version.

We put all the pictures in in RGB and then changed the Publisher file to
CMYK.

The printer does have Publisher so he transferred it into pdf file before
printing for us - but he is not particularly familiar with the program.

Does anyone have any idea how we can get the combination right so that the
printer can print was we see on the page.

Many thanks for any advice.

Regards

Chris
"Mike Koewler" <wordwiz@fuse.net> wrote in message
> Chris,
>
> << The colours have to be perfect - we are
> printing client's ads in a magazine. >>
>
> I would send the printer a sample file and see how it turns out. Full
> color ads in most magazines are not inexpensive, it would be worthwhile to
> make sure you and the printer are on the same page BEFORE the magazine
> with your ad in it is published.
>
> Mike
>
> ChrisB wrote:
>
>> This is most helpful - thank you.
>>
>> Why would my printer think that I would need to save every picture to
>> cmyk first?  Is he just playing it safe?  The colours have to be
>> perfect - we are printing client's ads in a magazine.
>>
>> To produce to pdf I have been using (although not tested on the printer
>> yet - a free program called pdf995 which does involve printing it to the
>> pdf995 printer which then produces the pdf.  Is this what you mean?  How
>> will I know if it is successful or not - is there anyway of testing
>> before I sent to printers?
>>
>> Many thanks again.
>>
>> Chris
>> "Ed Bennett" <the_nerd@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>ChrisB <chis@wanadoo.co.uk> was very recently heard to utter:

>>>Leave all the images as they are, just tell Publisher to output composite
>>>CMYK.  It will do all the colourspace conversions on printing to PDF.
>>>
>>>(Note that the Adobe Acrobat 7 plugin for Publisher will not work for
>>>CMYK Composite output from Publisher, you will need to either print to
>>>the Adobe PDF printer or print to file and drop the PS file into
>>>Distiller.)
>>>
>>>--
>>>Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
chis (79)

Distribution Files for MFC in VS .net 2003

file cloning
I was wondering. How come it is possible to clone a file (using right click copy/paste file), but not possible to do this for other documents (apps and clip-art etc)?. Could it be possible to have an add-in in excel to prevent people from copying documents on their desktop?? -- shnim1 You can copy files that way (rightclick|copy, rightclick|paste). But most windows applications are no longer just simple .exe files (like back in the old DOS days). They usually have tons of other stuff that gets installed with them--and that stuff gets scattered all over your harddrive (windows folder, wi...

How can I print just the flip side of a booklet?
How can I print just the flip side of a booklet? I printed the first side just fine and then my computer went funny and I had to shut down and start back up again. I have 25 copies of the first side that need to be printed on the back side. Pub 2000 user here: There may be a better way but I think you will have to print a page at a time i.e., File, Print Page 2 of 2; then 3 of 3 and so on. -- Don Vancouver, USA "pqc18" <pqc18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92653E8D-9772-4AE0-A9C3-514B363E72B2@microsoft.com... > How can I print just the flip side ...

Re-print SVC RTV Packing Slips
Please add to the Reports Menu the ability to Reprint a RTV packing slip. -- Steve Laurenzano K-Rain Mfg ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=107decaa-6e0a-4bc...

how to build the netsample ipconfig to the exe file?
C:\WINCE500\public\common\oak\drivers\netsamp\ipconfig\ipconfig.cpp i want to make ipconfig.exe. and i could found the sample code. but it source code builded to the lib file. in ipconfig sources files, TARGETNAME=ipconfig TARGETTYPE=LIBRARY SOURCES= \ $(TARGETNAME).cpp the project is .lib file. but the source code has a _tmain() funciton in the source. it's looks possible to compile to the exe file. how can it compile to the exe file? You can add the SYSGEN_NETUTILS and you will have the ipconfig.exe integrated to your OS. Search ipconfig in the cat...

outlook can't receive exe files

retrieving folders.old file

Excel 2000 vs. Excel 2002

Mail Merge Printing collated
When I print a mail merge (I don't use it for mailings and envelopes), Publisher prints out the first 5 records as an individual document then the next 5 as a seperate document, and so forth. Since I often need to make multiple copies of these documents, I end up having to collate them by hand. How can I get Publisher to print the entire merge as one document before printing the second, third, copy? I believe when I had P'03 it would print that way, but when I upgraded to '07 this problem started. You can't... Maybe later with a service pack these printing bugs will b...

Opening .prn files in XL2000

Import reg files into Registry, without UAC
Hi, I've got a .reg file to be imported silently in a batch. The file contains only entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore can be imported without elevation. This works well with the regedit /s switch on limited accounts, however on admin accounts, elevation UAC prompt is still shown, even though it's not needed. How can I prevent this? Thanks, Jens Jens M´┐Żller wrote: >Hi, > >I've got a .reg file to be imported silently in a batch. The file contains >only entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore can be imported without >elevation. >...

MS Excel Print setup
Hi, When i save a document by using landscape setting,& by opening again that document it does'nt show saved setting. It shows portrait option,not landscpe option. Piyush ...

Chart printing issue in Excel 2007

Retreive a deleted file
How can I retreive a delted file Hi Janet If you have setup Excel to automatically create backup copies; then check that folder for the last backed-up version....If it is from your PC, check out the Recylcle Bin (on your desktop) and restore the file. If the file was on a network drive you may need to contact your network administrator and check whether they can recover. -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Janet" wrote: > How can I retreive a delted file Go into your Recycle Bin. If deleted from there; http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/recover-deleted-files.htm ...

Log file
Where do i find my log files? On an NT based system: go to start, run, type eventvwr, then hit enter. There you'll see the application, system, and security logs. >-----Original Message----- >Where do i find my log files? >. > ...

How do I print a SINGLE POSTCARD on 5.5x4.25in stock?
I have a preprinted postcard that is 5.5" x 4.25". A standard postcard. I cannot for the life of me to get Publisher to print on this cardstock!! It keeps thinking the page is "LETTER 8.5x11". I have NO problems getting 4 cards (multiple addresses) to print on one page. But now I have the cards pre-printed and just want to mail-merge an address list onto them. How do I set this up? Because apparently, using the post card template of 5.5x4.25 (or even the 6x4) doesn't do it!!!!! Thanks for any insight. Jeff Jeff, File, PRINT SETUP Here select your stock si...

Visio Printing Problem
I am trying to print a flowchart. The print view displays the complet flowchart. However, when I print the flowchart, the top half of th flowchart is omitted and the bottom half prints. Any problem solvin recommendations would be appreciated -- jqsandma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jqsandman's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=661 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=136719 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i this usually ends up as being "apply available software patches to visio" or &quo...

Need to show file properties dialog box
Hello I need to show the shell's file properties dialog box. I tried converting old vb6 code into vb.net but it gives me error. Here's my code: Private Structure SHELLEXECUTEINFO Dim cbSize As Long Dim fMask As Long Dim hwnd As Long Dim lpVerb As String Dim lpFile As String Dim lpParameters As String Dim lpDirectory As String Dim nShow As Long Dim hInstApp As Long Dim lpIDList As Long Dim lpClass As String Dim hkeyClass As Long Dim dwHotKey As Long D...

how to read .MSG files without Outlook ?
How to read .MSG files without Outlook ? Do you know a good .msg viewer ? Thanks to everybody ... E. to the best of my knowledge, there isn;t a msg viewer. You need to use outlook or exchange messaging client. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ ...

Object error when trying to print custom reports
I am getting an [object error] message when trying to print custom reports or modified versions of canned reports. They display just fine within CRM, we just can't print them. I have already tried deleting the ActiveX to force a reload and manually reinstalling it using http://crmserver/viewer/activexviewer/en/npviewer.exe with no luck. This is occuring on systems regardless of whether Crystal Designer is loaded. Any ideas? Open the reports in Crystal that you are having problems with and make sure that the "Save data with reports" option is not checked. (In Crystal...