Disappearing graphics from publisher files

I have been working on documents for clients that have earlier version of MS
Publisher.  When I save them for their specific version of MS Publisher about
3/4 of the embedded graphics disappear.  How can I get the graphics to stop
disappearing?  The graphics do not disappear when I save the file as a MS
Publisher 2003 document.
0
Amy (241)

Amy,

How were the embeded graphics created?
- Were they imported ("insert", "Picture", "Clipart..."/"From File..."/"From
Scanner or Camera...")?
- Did they get pasted from another applications?
- were the drawiing tools in publicher used?

It is possible that the imnages are in a format older versions of Publisher
are not able to work with.

Try is using the fololowing:
  1) Use the 'Pack And Go' feature (under the 'File' menu) as though you
were taking it to a commercial printer to make links of the images as it
packs the publication (this is probably faster than making links of all the
images yourself).
  2) Unpack the 'Pack And Go' publication then resave it to the older format.

The linked graphics will need to be sent with the new Publisher file (unless
you have the older versionof publisher and can re-embed the images in the
older file format).

Let me know if this helps.

--
Mike Bailey
Prepress Technician

"Amy" wrote:

> I have been working on documents for clients that have earlier version of MS
> Publisher.  When I save them for their specific version of MS Publisher about
> 3/4 of the embedded graphics disappear.  How can I get the graphics to stop
> disappearing?  The graphics do not disappear when I save the file as a MS
> Publisher 2003 document.
Mike,

Thanks for the information.  I believe that you solved my quandry.  I
downloaded a majority of graphics to use in the ms pub 98 document
recently... and those are the ones disappearing.  So they are probably in a
format that ms pub 98 can not handle.  I will try re-formating them in a jpeg
format and see if that works.  I can't send the graphics seperately because
that is part of my responsibilites... in other words the client can't handle
that part.

Once again thank you for taking the time to answer my questions...
Amy
0
Amy (241)
11/18/2004 2:58:03 PM
Mike Bailey wrote:
> How were the embeded graphics created?
> - Were they imported ("insert", "Picture", "Clipart..."/"From
> File..."/"From Scanner or Camera...")?
> - Did they get pasted from another applications?
> - were the drawiing tools in publicher used?
>
> It is possible that the imnages are in a format older versions of
> Publisher are not able to work with.
>
> Try is using the fololowing:
>  1) Use the 'Pack And Go' feature (under the 'File' menu) as though
> you were taking it to a commercial printer to make links of the
> images as it packs the publication (this is probably faster than
> making links of all the images yourself).
>  2) Unpack the 'Pack And Go' publication then resave it to the older
> format.
>
> The linked graphics will need to be sent with the new Publisher file
> (unless you have the older versionof publisher and can re-embed the
> images in the older file format).

Mr. Bailey, where have you been all these years? It's been awhile!
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
ic (207)

Recover Outlook 2002 Archive file from Norton Protected Recycle Bin
Deleted Outlook 2002 backup/archive file by mistake. Found it in Norton Protected Recycle Bin. Made copies then tried to restore one copy from Nortons and one copy through Outlook import, both attempts failed with same results. Outlook does not recongonize file as personal folders file. Any suggestions. Assuming read only hasnt been set, Try running the repair tool, scanpst.exe on the pst. You may have to run it several times. Then in OL file/open, the pst "Larry" <onsitecs@fuse.net> wrote in message news:188ce01c44af4$0b2bc4f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Deleted Outlook 200...

Outlook 2003
Hi, I have to go through three Deleted Items folders in order to delete all the cr*p. Is there an Outlook option or a rule that someone can suggest to set up, in a step-by-step fashion, that will combine these three into one? Thanks, Feedscrn By default Outlook only has 1 deleted items folder. What are the other 2? Are they in 2 other personal folders? "feedscrn" <feedscrn@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1193150667.085940.208790@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > > Hi, > > I have to go through three Deleted Items folders in order to > de...

Define: STM file
What's the STM file used for? On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 05:47:02 -0800, Larry <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What's the STM file used for? Its the partner to the corresponding edb file to form the store. It's the non-mapi streaming database ( as opposesd to the mapi store - the edb file), and contains messages in their native Internet format. If you have alot of OWA or POP , IMAP clients etc, it can get quite large. Parts of the every message in the stm file are also in the edb file and as they are modified, moved or if the mailbox is moved to another store, the ...

Publisher #34
What is PUBRET.MSI and how do I get It? -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Out of curiosity, what are you doing that you are prompted for this file? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Edward Cavallaro via OfficeKB.com" <forum@OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:b16c38ef82c7478cb898dcdd5acef029@OfficeKB.com... > What is PUBRET.MSI and how do I get It? > > -- > Message posted via http://www.officekb.com This file is a installation package. The best way to keep this message from appearing is to do a installer clean-up. Description of t...

Publisher 2002 #7
How do I send a Publisher document via rich e-mail message, for person without Publisher program? I have Office 2000 and Outlook Express 6.0? This feature is built into Microsoft Publisher! http://www.mvps.org/publisher/sharing.html Check out the above link. Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.kvalheim.org >-----Original Message----- >How do I send a Publisher document via rich e-mail >message, for person without Publisher program? I have >Office 2000 and Outlook Express 6.0? >. > UMMMMMMM, look at the title of this thread. :-) Brian >-----...

Read Text File into Excel Using VBA
Hi All, I'm a new VBA programmer. I know how to pull an entire text file into an Excel Spreadsheet, but I only want specific information from the text file not the entire text file. What I have is about 25 text files stored in a folder, let's say C:\test. Each file is named by a property address as follows: 209 MAIN ST.txt 213 MAIN ST.txt 111 ELM ST.txt 2356 WOOD AVE.txt On the 11th row of each file is as follows: Property Address:209 MAIN ST On the 31st row of each file is as follows: Total Value:30500 What I would like to do is read each file located in the "C:\test folder...

How to detect if a file has been opened?
I want to use MFC CFile class to open a file, how can I know if the file has been opened by before I open it ? Thanks. >I want to use MFC CFile class to open a file, how can I know if the >file has been opened by before I open it ? Trying to open it exclusively is probably the best way. If it's already open, your call will fail. Dave ...

Print only the used sheets in all open files
I have the below macro to print the sheets that have info in cells D6 or D3 for all open workbooks. "PrintAllOpenFiles.xlsm" is the file in the xlstartup dir. If u run the small macro listed first within a single file it works but inside the bigger macro it doesn't. It doesn't look like anything happens - no debug option or anything. Any help is appreciated. 'Print Used Sheets Dim sh As Worksheet For Each sh In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets If sh.Visible = -1 Then If sh.Range("D6").Value <> &...

Outlook catagories disappear...
Hello: I noticed that at times some of my catagories in outlook sometimes no longer remain on my Master List, and I then have to recreate them. I have Win server NT 4, and Office 2000, Sr-1a. I am trying to get SP-3 on, but an earlier post notes that a ""The Expected Version of the Product Was Not Found on Your System" error, so if it's an upgrade needed, I'm stuck untill I do a full backup of this Exchange server and reinstall everything from scratch... TIA -Normand ...

Bizarre XSD File Format Changes with Web Developer?
I have a bizarre problem when I try to validate XML documents and their schemas once they have been opened and transfered to a Visual Web Developer 2005 Express project. I receive validation errors for XML/XSDs that worked fine when first created in another environment (XMLSpy trial). I have a source XML document and an XSD file created wtih XMLSpy and stored in a separate folder. When I run a very simple VBScript to validate the XML with the XSD (in the process of a bulkload to SQL Server with SQLXMLBulkload.4.0), there are no validation errors, and the load to the DB works perfectly....

File in Use problem
I'm revisiting some VBS scripts that I wrote several years ago to generate resumes for me (via Word macros) and would like some guidance on a couple of errors I am getting. I'll post about the two errors separately so that each has its own thread. My VBS script is pretty simple: ======================= ' Get arguments into variables If WScript.Arguments.Count > 0 Then MsgBox "Too many arguments; expecting none." WScript.Quit End If ' Find path for MyDocuments folder Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objFolder = o...

Have a display "Paging" through an XML file.
Via an ASPX (and code behind) in .net 2.0 I want to be able to "page" though and display the contents of an xml file. So if there are 100 elements, I can display "page 1 of 4" and list 25 elements per page. How can I do this? Below is the code used to display the XML file // Create XmlDocument and load the XML from file string FilterValue = "Autos"; XmlDocument XmlDoc = new XmlDocument(); XmlDoc.Load(new XmlTextReader(XMLFILE)); //Create the XsltArgumentList to be passed to the xslt doc XsltArgumentList xslArg = new XsltArgumentList(...

pictures and objects appear blank in publisher 2002, but print ok
recentl when opening a file with pictures and objects in publisher 2002, they all appear blank. But they will print ok. I tried copying and pasting an object to a new page and its then visible but out of focus as if it has been enlarged too much. If I select all and copy it to a new page then the problem persists Read the third FAQ here Q: Why can I not see images/shapes/lines when editing my publication? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-u...

I need 2 add a legend 2 pictures in a word or publisher document
can anyone help My first suggestion would be to use proper words. Using cutesy shorthand is downright annoying. Having said that - what exactly do you want to do? And in which program? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "add legend to word or publisher document" <add legend to word or publisher document@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6C68A8C-6C18-4A36-9B62-B66FBE049F31@microsoft.com... > can anyone help Is this English? -- Don ------- Vancouver, USA "add legend to word or publisher document" <add legend to word or p...

Arrow Style work in Publisher?
This is under the FORMAT Toolbar - and whenever I try to add an arrow they are "grayed" out. You have to have a line selected... Draw a line, select the line, click the line tool or right-click "format autoshape", select the looks you want. There are arrows in autoshapes. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "bonnirod" <bonnirod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C84168A5-A10C-4CB0-9F0B-280901749D0E@microsoft.com... > This is under the FORMAT Toolbar - and whenever ...

Page Options in Publisher 2007
I woner if anyone has a clue about this problem I am having. None of the 5 Microsoft technicians that I have talked to have any understanding. I create a newsletter by starting with a newsletter template. I modify the template by adding my own stories and artwork. That works fine. But then, when I want to made a web doxument of this, I want to convert the mulicolumn newsletter to a single column web newsletter. To do this, I go to PAGE OPTIONS and click "1 Column." But when I do this, all of my work is erased and replaced by the content of the original template as it wa...

Formula links in file
We have a master data file that about 50 other related spreadsheets have formula links to. Permission to this master file has now been restricted for many people so when they open some of the other 50 files the links don't work to master file. Can we cut and paste (rather than just copy) the master file to another location and will the links follow the file to the new location? If not, is there a bulk way of changing the addresses in the formulas to the new location of the master file. Ideally for all 50 at once or at worst for all tabs in each file at once. Thanks R...

Cannot find file error
HI, I have a machine that comes up with an error when "double-clicking" to open a file. When I double click any excel file I get this error. Cannot find file "..Filename..." (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available. The file can be on a file server or on local disk and I still get this error. I tried installing Office 2k SP3 in hopes that would fix something but, that hasn't worked. any hints? thanx, In Excel Go to Tools Options General and uncheck Ignore Other Applications ...

Bulding pdf-files with vba and acrobat 6.0
Hallo to all, since hours I am trying to create pdf-files with vba and acrobat 6.0. I would like to pass the path and filename by a variable. But it dosn't work. Has anyone an idea how I can do this. Many thanks in advane and greetings from Bremen (Germany) Martin Beering Martin, I can remember having trouble's automating the PDF printing. Though I can't remember exactly what they were. I found this macro on somebodies site and it works well... Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ' Define the postscript and .pdf file names. Dim PSFileName As String Dim PDFFileName As Str...

How do I look for dupliactes within the same file?
I am trying to spot possible duplicate numbers in a ver large file. Is there a formaula I could use to make sure none of these 13 digit account numbers are listed twice within the same file? If this is something you have to do regularly, Jim Cone's commercial Add-in called XLConpanion makes this job a breeze............ Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "skippy_prine" wrote: > I am trying to spot possible duplicate numbers in a ver large file. Is there > a formaula I could use to make sure none of these 13 digit account numbers > are listed twice within the same ...

Writing to a text file
What is the best way to read and write values to a text file? I'm planning on writing a text file storing servers in the following format: Name;Location;IP;Port Server 1;USA;143.234.12.43;6273 I just like to use the C runtime to do these things. You'll get a slight performance increase if you create one huge block in memory of all the text that you want written and just write that with one call instead of a loop. You'll need a good string buffer for this. > What is the best way to read and write values to a text file? > > I'm planning on writing a text file s...

Temporary Files Creation
Within the last 2 weeks I have noticed that after creating a new file or modifying an existing that excel and sometimes word create a temp file in the existing directory. (This is normal.) After closing the excel or word document the temp file does not delete itself from the folder. Has anyone else encountered this issue and have any recommendations to fix this issue? Turn off the Auto Save feature >-----Original Message----- >Within the last 2 weeks I have noticed that after creating >a new file or modifying an existing that excel and >sometimes word create a temp file...

How do I prevent my website from loading jumbled in Publisher?
I created a website in Publisher, and when it first loads it comes up all jumbled, then sorts out as I would like it to. I've never had this problem before Publisher. How can I prevent that from happening? ...

How can I publish Photos in the e-mail newsletter
I don't see my images on the newsletter when I send them. I can see all the information but no photos. What's wrong??? thanks ...

Variable File Naming Using Macros
Is there a way to open a file and rename it using cells within the document itself using a macro? (Variable File Name?) Also, is there a way to open a file, using a macro again, by using criteria on a cell in an open worksheet? (Variable File Call?) Hi yes you can do this. e.g. sub save_it() with activesheet.range("A1") activeworkbook.saveas filename:= "C:\temp\" & .value & ".xls" end with end sub Similar with opening workbooks. See workbooks.open in the vBA help -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Kris S wrote: > Is there a way to ...