Creating a template using Publisher

I need help creating a neighborhood directory template using Publisher and
merging an Excel spreadsheet into it. It keeps printing multiple pages of the
first page after I merge.

What version Publisher?
If you have 2003 use the catalog merge for your directory.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx

Otherwise you need to setup your page as though it is labels. Determine the size
of the area you need for each entry, select labels in page setup,  type the size
you determined in the page setup. Adjust the gaps and margins when you are ready
to print (2000 and below).

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"vazastokes" <vazastokes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need help creating a neighborhood directory template using Publisher and
> merging an Excel spreadsheet into it. It keeps printing multiple pages of the
> first page after I merge.

0
mary-sauer (6480)
8/28/2006 7:58:23 AM
Thanks so much for replying. This is my first time with a project like this
in publisher. I am using 2003 version and have been able to set it up using
the catalog merge and it works except for the printing. I made a template
with "Name, address, phone, childrens names" and copied it down the page and
on a second column and down. Then I merged the Excel document with it. It
looks like only one page. I can't scroll to see another page or see another
page in print preview but when I print it wants to print 18 pages.
I noticed in the corner if I hold the cursor, it says "Catalog merge area,
this area will repeat 1 down x 1 across. I'm sure this has something to do
with it, but it doesn't make any sense why I don't see the multiple pages.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> What version Publisher?
> If you have 2003 use the catalog merge for your directory.
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx
>
> Otherwise you need to setup your page as though it is labels. Determine the size
> of the area you need for each entry, select labels in page setup,  type the size
> you determined in the page setup. Adjust the gaps and margins when you are ready
> to print (2000 and below).
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>
> "vazastokes" <vazastokes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need help creating a neighborhood directory template using Publisher and
> > merging an Excel spreadsheet into it. It keeps printing multiple pages of the
> > first page after I merge.

When you do any kind of merge you can only have one entry on your screen.

The catalog merge will default to a certain size, when you resize this area the
dialogue will say how many across and how many down. If you want your directory
in alphabetical order then you need to keep to one across. Publisher merges
names across rather than up and down.

The article reference in the previous post can help, there is a training video
here
http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC010779101033

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Thanks so much for replying. This is my first time with a project like this
> in publisher. I am using 2003 version and have been able to set it up using
> the catalog merge and it works except for the printing. I made a template
> with "Name, address, phone, childrens names" and copied it down the page and
> on a second column and down. Then I merged the Excel document with it. It
> looks like only one page. I can't scroll to see another page or see another
> page in print preview but when I print it wants to print 18 pages.
> I noticed in the corner if I hold the cursor, it says "Catalog merge area,
> this area will repeat 1 down x 1 across. I'm sure this has something to do
> with it, but it doesn't make any sense why I don't see the multiple pages.
> Any suggestions? Thanks!
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> What version Publisher?
>> If you have 2003 use the catalog merge for your directory.
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx
>>
>> Otherwise you need to setup your page as though it is labels. Determine the
>> size
>> of the area you need for each entry, select labels in page setup,  type the
>> size
>> you determined in the page setup. Adjust the gaps and margins when you are
>> ready
>> to print (2000 and below).
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>>
>> "vazastokes" <vazastokes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I need help creating a neighborhood directory template using Publisher and
>> > merging an Excel spreadsheet into it. It keeps printing multiple pages of
>> > the
>> > first page after I merge.

0
mary-sauer (6480)

Linked graphics into a Publisher 2000 document
I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert two JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I figure the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result? An 11MB file. I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead insert the images using the "Link to File" option. Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked into the file. The size should not be more than 500KB. Result? An 11MB file. Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher 2000 documentr without the file blowing up? And why does it blow up? Regards, Richard. Richard wrot...

Printing Newsletter in Publisher 2003

Microsoft CRM using Firefox
Hello, Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work correctly on Firefox. Currently, I have employees that are using Firefox and are encountering the same issue as IE [Internet Explorer bombs out and states that it has encountered problems...]. I am just having employees use IE to prevent problem. Thank you for your comments in advance. Install a Firefox extension called IETab "Marcos" <Marcos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B93E29-757D-46FF-B747-A17EB112ED94@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work cor...

Using iterations to calculate circular references.
I am working with data that requires using circular references in some calculations. I checked the "iterations" box to allow for these calculations to work, and Ecxel seems to be calculating everything correctly. The problem is that after I close the workbook, when I later reopen it to continue working, all the cells that are a part of the circular reference display the #VALUE! error. I can fix this by deleting one cell that is part of the loop and then undoing that command, or by copying the formula from a cell, deleting it, and pasting it back into the same cell. I have to d...

Creating a template using Publisher

Is anybody using Symantec Enterprise Vault?
Hi, A vendor has recommended this solution to us, I have looked at the datasheet for the product and it speaks the right language but I was wondering if anybody on here uses it in a live environment and what their opinion of it is. Cheers Sean ...

publisher 2003 #38
Have just updated from publisher 1998 to 2003 via proffesional office 2003 and have found the "save as" function is terribly slow (as apposed to 98 ) , opening "my computer" is also slow ??? can any one help with this issue ?? That could be a multitude of things. And I'd even guess that most are not Office related. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Publisher "zed" wrote: > Have just updated from publisher 1998 to 2003 via proffesional office 2003 > and have found the "save as" function is terribly slow (as apposed to 98 ) , > opening "my c...

Publisher 2003 & IE 8
I created a web site www.fera.org using Publisher 2003. Lately people using IE8 do not see the menues along the left side, or the bottom. People using Chrome are just fine. Is the a compatibility issue between IE 8 & Publisher 2003? There is a compatibility issue with IE8 and Publisher 2003 and 2007. Any design elements that are 'grouped' together, which includes the Publisher wizard built navbars, do not render when you view the web page in IE8 . The fix in general is to ungroup the elements. There is both a manual fix to these issues and a Service Patch that has been issue...

Using Sumproduct when some of the values are null
I am having a problem using Sumproduct when some of the cells have null values. I will try to describe the problem. Please let me know if you need additional information. Do any of you have any ideas of how I can fix that sumproduct to get it to work? A B C Row Trend Claims 5 Emergency $0 6 Emergency $0 7 Emergency $0 8 Emergency 81.68% $24,444 9 Emergency 35.00% $164,758 10 Emergency 35.00% ...

Unable to repy using word editor
When repyling to an e-mail I receive the following message, "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy, or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead". I found article 284900, that states you may get this message when you have office 2000 and office xp installed on the same computer. This is not the case on my computer, Office 2000 does not exist, only office xp. Can anyone help me? There appear to be a whole host of causes for this error message. Most have no solution. Here are a few that do: http://support.microsoft...

Operating a small passenger service
I am hoping someone has managed to customise outlook in a way that allows you to use the programe to manage bookings on a small passenger service. I.e input a new booking, number of people, location etc. Then email the days bookings to the different drivers. Maybe it could also be set up to know how many seats are avialale to reduce the risk of double booking? Im using Outlook 2003. ...

Issues Template
Hi i have downloaded the issues template to work in a vet office, but am not sure what the Add related issues is for on the Issues details form. i jus want to know what it does and its benefits It's unlikely that you'll get any help that requires anyone to download and analyyse someone else's guickie application. You'd do better to use the sample databases and tools that are provided with Access and ask questions based on them, instead. HTH -- -Larry- -- "Amin" <Amin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B20F4FC-2696-4724-8615-49...

web preview not same as publisher view
Reading past postings it appears others too are having serious problems with Web preview in both 2002 and 2003. I think the problem is that text handling within text boxes in normal Publisher view simply does not reflect that as seen in Web Preview (currently Explorer 6) On a totally blank (wide setting) webpage, using standard Times New Roman 12pont (no italic underline or bold) I typed six lines of Mary had a little lamb into a 3.85x3.029cm text box with all margins set to 00. I outlined the box with a 1/4pt line Whereas the text just fitted into the box in Publisher view, in Web ...

Creating a worksheet in Spanish
Hello, Is there a way to create a worksheet on MS XP Pro running Office 2003 Pro all in Spanish? Thank You Kent Hansen Hi Kent All valid formulas -except the ones from the Analysis Toolpack- will automatically translate to the language of the Excel it's opened in. So any spanish speaking Excel will translate formulas to spanish, no matter which version it was written in. The rest, text constants and such, has to be typed or pasted. Excel will not translate this herself. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Kent" <Kent@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:ACCCBA3A-53B4...

Is there a way to convert OE 03 form templates?
I have a user that has upgraded from outlook 2003 to outlook 2007 and has a form template from 2003 that is in a FDM extension. Outlook 2007 is unable to read this form. Is there a way to convert this form, or will the user just have to create a new form with their new version of outlook? Any information appreciated. Thanks, -AllenK What happens when you try to install the form? Any error message? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.ms...

using dates Part 2

Publisher 2000? #2
Is there a place where I can still get version 2000? I've been looking, but all I can find are updates and the 2007 trial. My computer can't run 2007. *If* if can be had, try something like eBay. (I wouldn't buy software that way but that's just my preference.) You may find you have better luck finding a leftover copy of Pub 2003 from some online retailers. (I actually prefer that over 2000.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Copying Publisher from One computer to another
I want to copy Publisher from my old computer to my new one, but if I can't seem to locate all the files I need to make it work on the new computer. What should I do? You can't, you have to install it from the CD. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Jasmin" <Jasmin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EB558F1-525D-47BD-A54B-BC62C410D79E@microsoft.com... |I want to copy Publisher from my old computer to my new one, but if I can't | seem to locate all the files I need to make it work on the new computer. What | shoul...