Creating a template using Publisher

I need help creating a neighborhood directory template using Publisher and
merging an Excel spreadsheet into it. It keeps printing multiple pages of the
first page after I merge.

What version Publisher?
If you have 2003 use the catalog merge for your directory.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx

Otherwise you need to setup your page as though it is labels. Determine the size
of the area you need for each entry, select labels in page setup,  type the size
you determined in the page setup. Adjust the gaps and margins when you are ready
to print (2000 and below).

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"vazastokes" <vazastokes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need help creating a neighborhood directory template using Publisher and
> merging an Excel spreadsheet into it. It keeps printing multiple pages of the
> first page after I merge.

0
mary-sauer (6480)
8/28/2006 7:58:23 AM
Thanks so much for replying. This is my first time with a project like this
in publisher. I am using 2003 version and have been able to set it up using
the catalog merge and it works except for the printing. I made a template
with "Name, address, phone, childrens names" and copied it down the page and
on a second column and down. Then I merged the Excel document with it. It
looks like only one page. I can't scroll to see another page or see another
page in print preview but when I print it wants to print 18 pages.
I noticed in the corner if I hold the cursor, it says "Catalog merge area,
this area will repeat 1 down x 1 across. I'm sure this has something to do
with it, but it doesn't make any sense why I don't see the multiple pages.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> What version Publisher?
> If you have 2003 use the catalog merge for your directory.
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx
>
> Otherwise you need to setup your page as though it is labels. Determine the size
> of the area you need for each entry, select labels in page setup,  type the size
> you determined in the page setup. Adjust the gaps and margins when you are ready
> to print (2000 and below).
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>
> "vazastokes" <vazastokes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need help creating a neighborhood directory template using Publisher and
> > merging an Excel spreadsheet into it. It keeps printing multiple pages of the
> > first page after I merge.

When you do any kind of merge you can only have one entry on your screen.

The catalog merge will default to a certain size, when you resize this area the
dialogue will say how many across and how many down. If you want your directory
in alphabetical order then you need to keep to one across. Publisher merges
names across rather than up and down.

The article reference in the previous post can help, there is a training video
here
http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC010779101033

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Thanks so much for replying. This is my first time with a project like this
> in publisher. I am using 2003 version and have been able to set it up using
> the catalog merge and it works except for the printing. I made a template
> with "Name, address, phone, childrens names" and copied it down the page and
> on a second column and down. Then I merged the Excel document with it. It
> looks like only one page. I can't scroll to see another page or see another
> page in print preview but when I print it wants to print 18 pages.
> I noticed in the corner if I hold the cursor, it says "Catalog merge area,
> this area will repeat 1 down x 1 across. I'm sure this has something to do
> with it, but it doesn't make any sense why I don't see the multiple pages.
> Any suggestions? Thanks!
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> What version Publisher?
>> If you have 2003 use the catalog merge for your directory.
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx
>>
>> Otherwise you need to setup your page as though it is labels. Determine the
>> size
>> of the area you need for each entry, select labels in page setup,  type the
>> size
>> you determined in the page setup. Adjust the gaps and margins when you are
>> ready
>> to print (2000 and below).
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>>
>> "vazastokes" <vazastokes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I need help creating a neighborhood directory template using Publisher and
>> > merging an Excel spreadsheet into it. It keeps printing multiple pages of
>> > the
>> > first page after I merge.

0
mary-sauer (6480)

Vertical Guide in Publisher
I'm revising a document someone else created. I use vertical guides all the time for my work, but for some reason, I cannot get the grid to appear OVER the text boxes in this document created by someone else. They appear behind the boxes so I can only see them where I don't have boxes (which currently is at the margins). I can't align the graphics if I can't see the line. I'm feeling rather stupid as I can usually figure these things out. Version is 2003. Sorry, I figured it out. The person "filled in" the text box with white color. So I removed the...

Linking Database to invoice/email template
I have designed my database and on inputting a new supplier I would like Access to generate an invoice in excel and an email in outlook express, is this at all possible as can't seem to find anything like this in my step by step book. Neets <Neets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have designed my database and on inputting a new supplier I would like >Access to generate an invoice in excel and an email in outlook express, is >this at all possible as can't seem to find anything like this in my step by >step book. Actually I'd create the invoice in a PDF...

best use for x,z and zz report
now we are using z report for end of day and zz report for end of month (x report just to get hard copy of inday sales) is thier a better or more usefull way to use this three reports? best reqards Hi Bacha11....you describe what most RMS users (I believe) do with the X, Z and ZZ reports - if you have multiple shifts (example a morning shift and a afternoon shift) on your registers you could use the X and Z reports for shift reporting and the ZZ for end of day (it will include both Z reports from both shifts) - other than that I think you're good to go.... "BACHA11" wrote:...

Strange template/recursion bug
Using MSVC 5.0, I'm trying to implement some code by Martin Ziacek (who hasn't replied yet). I first found that the Debug version worked, but the Release version goes into an infinite loop. After some experiments I discovered that adding an insignificant statement (i.e. one that shouldn't affect the algorithm) at a certain place I can make the Release version work. This is my first experience of templates, and I'm wondering if MSVC 5.0 is buggy in this area. Otherwise, WTF is going on? The code is for QuickSort and is shown below in its entirety (sorry about the tab...

how to use a negative number
I have a client that gave me a deposit for a service. I was paid this deposi last year. I now have made a invoice for this service with Money Home and Business 2007. How can I show that I have already received $200 towards this service? Money will not let me use a negative number So how can I do this? Can't say for sure as I've never used the * Business * editions, but you may have to use an income category to categorize the amount. IIRC, it has been reported that the * Business * editions don't allow calling income expense and vice versa. Sadly, next to no users of * B...

Can indirect() work using closed external files??
Workbook A has a cell that gets data from workbook B as an external link. It does this using the indirect function because it needs to concatenate the path and filename from other cells. Problem is that if workbook B is closed, the cell in workbook A shows #REF!. So can indirect work using closed external files or must the external files be opened? Is there a clever way of making that work? Thanks! I know they must be open and I have not found a way to make them work yet. Anyone? Harlan Grove wrote a UDF called PULL that will retrieve the value from a closed workbook. You can fin...

Publisher shuts down
Please forgive me if this is long winded. I'm running Office 2000 Premium. When I click on any existing Publisher files, they open but immediately close with the notice 'MSPUB.exe has generated errors' etc, and says it's creating an error log and I will have to restart the program. Can someone please tell me how? I'm not very computer literate but learning fast with this problem. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling through the Add/Remove programs (several times), I used detect & repair, used the scan disc features, defragged, cleaned out all my temp files, ev...

creating a visual studio project template
I have a barebones dialog application that has all the workings to connect and communicate to my backend app I have created. I want to use this as a basis to start all frontend/client app, however it is a pain to copy the whole solution and manually replace the old template project name to the new project name. I tried looking online on creating templates, however nothing has been working. the file->export to template... menu item is greyed out and I did come across one poster who said you are SOL trying to create a C++ template, is this true? Nick Schultz wrote: > I have a...

Control Toolbox: How do I use the "Combo Box?"
Hi, I need a drop down box in a particular cell, getting it there is easy, putting what I want in the drop down box/list is not! How do I get a "List" in the the combo box to read: 1, and then under that number I want 2, all the way up to 5. I want it to work so that I can see the drop down box and when it is selected I can see the numbers 1 thru 5 following each other in order, below each other. I have tried "Edit" under "Combo Box Object", that doesn't work! If I double click the "Combo Box" in the cell, I go into a "Microsoft Visual Basic&qu...

Publisher Version
Running Windows ME, Office XP Pro on desktop. Have Publisher 2000 on laptop (OEM). Need Publisher on desktop. What version can I install w/ME on desktop? Was surprised new Office XP did not come w/Publisher. Hard disk hard crash caused me to have to reinvent the wheel and I need a cheap patch until I can invest in a new computer w/XP OS and all other new programs installed. Thanks any/everyone! BB On 27 Apr 2004 14:01, "bluebonnet" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Running Windows ME, Office XP Pro on desktop. Have Publisher 2000 on >laptop (OEM)...

Using Onenote with LiveScribe
Does anyone have any experience using LiveScribe with Onenote, or any other electronic note capturing device? I've used the Adapx capturx pen and even wrote a powertoy for a behavior it has that I did not like: http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/archive/2009/03/09/a-powertoy-to-make-using-adapx-pens-for-onenote-a-little-easier-for-me.aspx This is not an endoresement, just a note that I have used it. I don't think LiveScribe has direct support for OneNote yet but check their support pages before taking my word for it. What was your specific question? -- Thanks, John ...

create an expense requisition form
Can you please help me to learn how to create an expense requisition form? thanks, ml Being by looking here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/FX100595491033.aspx -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "desesperada123" wrote: > Can you please help me to learn how to create an expense requisition form? > thanks, > ml You could start by browsing the MS Template Gallery http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/templategallery/default.asp Search for "expense" or "requisition" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 14 May 2...

MIDL Problem by creating TypeLib from IDL
Hi, I receive the following error message when I call the MIDL compiler to create a Typlib from an IDL File (translated from german): "The application can not be startet, because mspdb60.dll could not be found." The mspdb60.dll exists on the computer. The error number 1003 is shown. How can I solve this problem? Thanks Christian > "The application can not be startet, because mspdb60.dll could not be > found." > The mspdb60.dll exists on the computer. The error number 1003 is shown. Is mspdb60.dll in a location described in you PATH environment variable? It s...

Automate Update Query Parameters using Macros
Hi I am currently trying to automate a number of databases so that they can be run 'at the push of a button'. The first of these databases contains my master tables which are raw downloads from and antiquated mainframe system. The data comes down in text file format which is then imported into Access Tables. I then run a number of update queries against the tables to convert dates and codes etc into meaningful data. Previously I have run these update queries manually but now intend to use a number of macros to be able to run them at the push of a button. I am mainly using the OpenQu...

TEMPLATES #22
I am looking to build a contacts dirctory using an Excel Template. Is there one in the program I could use, or one online? Thanks Are you trying to build something similar to the contacts in Outlook? It is possible to export your Outlook contacts to Excel. -- Damon Longworth Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference Sept 16th and 17th Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas www.ExcelUserConference.com "Charlieb" <Charlieb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6EE2A2C1-0F67-46E3-9EBF-F0C6250950D2@microsoft.com... >I am looking to build a contacts di...

Sending Emails to users using templates?
Is it possible to have a Email sent based from a Template to be sent to an internal user within the company using the MSCRM system? It appears that Emails from Templates can only be sent to the external Contact/Account in question and not a internal user. Is this correct? Furthermore, if you cannot use templates - is it possible to include fields from the MSCRM object in question within the Subject/Contents of the 'vanilla' email produced by the Workflow Manager; or is this fixed to the static Subject/Contents defined by the workflow. Our problem stems from wanting an email...

Invalid Argument Creating New RUS or Address list
Invalid argument Facility: win32 ID no: 80070057 Exchange System Manager When I select new --> RUS I get this error is ESM. anyone have this issue? ...

subtotals using COUNT
Hi all, Newbie here I want to add subtotals to my spreadsheet. For example, I have a companyID, Employee ID, VacationDaysLeft, VacationDaysUsed. I'm trying to insert subtotals (grouping by company ID). I want to know how many employees used more than 10 days of vacation, and how many emplyees have more that 12 days of vacation left (this is an example only) If I try to use the subtotals feature in excel, it will break it down by companies, and it will generate subtotals for each company using SUBTOTAL(3,..) - where 3 is the id for COUNTA. CountA is not good enough. What I would need that t...

Using the "IF" Statement
Hello, I've been driving myself just a bit nuts trying to resolve the following excel problem: If the numeric value in a given cell falls within a predefined range (500 to 1000), I want the value to be multiplied by a constant value (0.05). If the criteria is not met, I want the cell identified as the recipient of this multiplication to reflect a value of 0.00. Could someone please show me what this formula should look like? Certainly would appreciate it. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Dave! Is this what you need? =IF(AND(A1>=500,A1<=1000),A1*0.05,0) ...

Error creating a new entity
When i try to create a new entity, i get the error "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator." There is no entry in the log files. i have CRM3.0 running on a win2003 entr. ed. I tried lots of solutions, many in which case it was a problem with users/rights. But no solution workd jet. try to enable DevErrors in the CRM web application, web.config and simulate the job again and to see the details of the problem... "Geert ten Napel" <Geert ten Napel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:015EEA83-FCE3-44C0-BAA1-27D...

Creating column content based on another column's keyword(s)
All: I'm trying to create a -new- *Category* column based on keywords from pre-existing *Names* column. For example, if the *Names* column is full of US maps (e.g. Abielene TX; Akron, OH; etc.), the *Category* column's adjacent cell woul contain just the state: A2: Abielene, TX | B2: TX A3: Akron, OH | B3: OH etc. At its simplest, the *Category* column could just be the firs letter/number/charc of *Names* column. Basically, I'm looking for the proverbial quick n' dirty macro scrip to achieve these results. Thx! K -- KHashmi31 --------------------------------------...

Consolidate not updating properly using vba
Hello, I create a code (below) using the macro recorder to refresh the data connection and consolidate the sales figures. My problem is that the code only seems to refresh the data connection, but the data is not consolidating correctly. Now if I go to Data -> Consolidate manually it works fine. How can I have my code work correctly that will consolidate properly. I made sure that I clear the contents before doing the consolidation. Can anyone help me. Thank you in advance. Cheers 'Refresh sales connection ActiveWorkbook.Connections("Query from SalesByDepartment")...

How to use XY Chart Labeler
As some of you have recommended here, I downloaded and installed the XY Chart labeler from AppsPro (http://www.appspro.com/). There does not seem to be a manual for it, so how do I get started using it? Thanks. -- ================================================= Do you like wine? Do you live in South Florida? Visit the MIAMI WINE TASTERS group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/miamiWINE ================================================= To install the add-in, double-click on the XYChartLabeler.exe that you downloaded. Then, in Excel, choose Tools>Add-ins If XY Chart Labeler isn'...

Using Ranges
Hi, I did an insert --> name --> define: a range that would automatically update: RangeName = "Sheet2!$C$4:$Q$"&COUNT(Sheet2!$E$4000)+3 So I want to write a macro that uses the range. x = Range("RangeName").Value gives the following error: Method Range of Object Global Failed when i set a range in the worksheet using the upper left hand box the macro works. Do you know how to fix this problem. Thanks That won't work - it's just an invalid string value, not a range. You need to use a named range whose definition actually returns a range, alon...

Create "One" Record from the "Many" Table
I have a Relationship between two tables. TableOne holds the client data. TableMany holds the InvoiceData. Referential Integrity enforced. InvoiceForm based on a query with data from the two tables, linked by ClientNumber from TableMany. When an invoice is created, the user enters ClientNumber and the client details appear. My question is about creating an invoice for a client not in TableOne. Is there some way to have the Client Record in TableOne created if it does not already exist, without opening the Client Data Input Form? Just the ClientNumber Field needs to be populated, all ot...