Crazy printing ...

I'm using XP (SP2) and XP Office. This includes Publisher 2003.

I'm using a Canon S200 printer. This was previously attached to another
computer running Win98SE. There were no printing problems. I installed it to
the XP system using the Canon CD.

Now however it goes crazy when I use Publisher. I'm trying to print a
booklet, two A5 pages on a single A4 sheet. Everything pans out in Print
Preview.

When I print however, all sorts of crazy things happen. It shrinks the text
to nothing. It prints portrait instead of landscape. And more. Whatever I
tell it to do, it ignores.

As far as I can tell, there seems to be two sets of instructions - one
coming from publisher, the other from windows/the printer driver. When I set
it up in one screen and it looks OK, the other screen often says something
different. Even when I can get them to agree, it still goes ahead and prints
something else entirely.

Suggestions? (Don't say get another driver from Canon. They are absolutely
hopeless. The computer is a stand alone workstation without internet access
anyway).

0
suryah (6)

It can only be a driver problem.
You need a XP driver.
Look at driver number 4 on the Canon download site, it has a 2003 timestamp, way
newer than a 98 driver.
http://software.canon-europe.com/Printers/Bubble_Jet_Printers/S200591.asp

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"suryah" <suryah@btinternetTAKEOUT.com> wrote in message
> I'm using XP (SP2) and XP Office. This includes Publisher 2003.
>
> I'm using a Canon S200 printer. This was previously attached to another
> computer running Win98SE. There were no printing problems. I installed it to
> the XP system using the Canon CD.
>
> Now however it goes crazy when I use Publisher. I'm trying to print a
> booklet, two A5 pages on a single A4 sheet. Everything pans out in Print
> Preview.
>
> When I print however, all sorts of crazy things happen. It shrinks the text
> to nothing. It prints portrait instead of landscape. And more. Whatever I
> tell it to do, it ignores.
>
> As far as I can tell, there seems to be two sets of instructions - one
> coming from publisher, the other from windows/the printer driver. When I set
> it up in one screen and it looks OK, the other screen often says something
> different. Even when I can get them to agree, it still goes ahead and prints
> something else entirely.
>
> Suggestions? (Don't say get another driver from Canon. They are absolutely
> hopeless. The computer is a stand alone workstation without internet access
> anyway).

0
gsauer (5093)
6/29/2005 9:22:34 PM
suryah wrote:
> I'm using XP (SP2) and XP Office. This includes Publisher 2003.

Does it really?! You should sell it - you'd make a fortune! I can tell you
categorically that there is *no* version of Office XP which contains 2003.
How could it? Office XP was released in 2001 and Publisher 2003 in, er,
2003. You'd have had to have had a time machine to have purchased Publisher
2003 as part of Office XP!

> I'm using a Canon S200 printer. This was previously attached to
> another computer running Win98SE. There were no printing problems. I
> installed it to the XP system using the Canon CD.

You're pretty talented to have managed that. The S series was discontinued
long before Windows XP existed, therefore there wouldn't have been an XP
driver on the disc. You cannot use 9x driver under XP.

> Now however it goes crazy when I use Publisher. I'm trying to print a
> booklet, two A5 pages on a single A4 sheet. Everything pans out in
> Print Preview.
>
> When I print however, all sorts of crazy things happen. It shrinks
> the text to nothing. It prints portrait instead of landscape. And
> more. Whatever I tell it to do, it ignores.

Well of course it does! You're using an incompatible driver - how the hell
do you expect it to send the correct instructions when you're using a 98
driver (though, as I stated earlier you must have done something pretty
'clever' to have achieved that. Drivers won't install in compatibility mode,
either).

> As far as I can tell, there seems to be two sets of instructions - one
> coming from publisher, the other from windows/the printer driver.
> When I set it up in one screen and it looks OK, the other screen
> often says something different. Even when I can get them to agree, it
> still goes ahead and prints something else entirely.

Of course it does! You're using an outdated driver!

> Suggestions? (Don't say get another driver from Canon. They are
> absolutely hopeless. The computer is a stand alone workstation
> without internet access anyway).

You've come to that conclusion because the driver you have doesn't work,
you've not even tried to download it. Oh and use some common sense - how are
you posting to Usenet now? The magical pixie fairies doing it for you? No
you have an internet connection. Download the driver, burn it to CD and use
it in the other computer.

0
test1951 (391)
6/30/2005 9:42:16 AM
Hmm. Thanks for the sarcasm.

But yes, you're right. It's actually Publisher 2002. I goofed.

As for being talented. No doubt. However, the Canon disc specifies that it
will work with XP. That it doesn't, or they didn't know what they were
talking about, is another matter.

Just because I was using Win98SE doesn't actually mean that it was purchased
in 1998. An unwarrented assumption there, perhaps.

An internet connection. Certianly, on this particular computer. The problem
lies however on the other machine. A thought that evidently didn't occur to
you.

> suryah wrote:
> > I'm using XP (SP2) and XP Office. This includes Publisher 2003.
>
> Does it really?! You should sell it - you'd make a fortune! I can tell you
> categorically that there is *no* version of Office XP which contains 2003.
> How could it? Office XP was released in 2001 and Publisher 2003 in, er,
> 2003. You'd have had to have had a time machine to have purchased
Publisher
> 2003 as part of Office XP!
>

> > I'm using a Canon S200 printer. This was previously attached to
> > another computer running Win98SE. There were no printing problems. I
> > installed it to the XP system using the Canon CD.
>
> You're pretty talented to have managed that. The S series was discontinued
> long before Windows XP existed, therefore there wouldn't have been an XP
> driver on the disc. You cannot use 9x driver under XP.
>
> > Now however it goes crazy when I use Publisher. I'm trying to print a
> > booklet, two A5 pages on a single A4 sheet. Everything pans out in
> > Print Preview.
> >
> > When I print however, all sorts of crazy things happen. It shrinks
> > the text to nothing. It prints portrait instead of landscape. And
> > more. Whatever I tell it to do, it ignores.
>
> Well of course it does! You're using an incompatible driver - how the hell
> do you expect it to send the correct instructions when you're using a 98
> driver (though, as I stated earlier you must have done something pretty
> 'clever' to have achieved that. Drivers won't install in compatibility
mode,
> either).
>

> > As far as I can tell, there seems to be two sets of instructions - one
> > coming from publisher, the other from windows/the printer driver.
> > When I set it up in one screen and it looks OK, the other screen
> > often says something different. Even when I can get them to agree, it
> > still goes ahead and prints something else entirely.
>
> Of course it does! You're using an outdated driver!
>
> > Suggestions? (Don't say get another driver from Canon. They are
> > absolutely hopeless. The computer is a stand alone workstation
> > without internet access anyway).
>
> You've come to that conclusion because the driver you have doesn't work,
> you've not even tried to download it. Oh and use some common sense - how
are
> you posting to Usenet now? The magical pixie fairies doing it for you? No
> you have an internet connection. Download the driver, burn it to CD and
use
> it in the other computer.

0
suryah (6)
6/30/2005 9:58:26 AM
suryah wrote:
> Hmm. Thanks for the sarcasm.
>
> But yes, you're right. It's actually Publisher 2002. I goofed.
>
> As for being talented. No doubt. However, the Canon disc specifies
> that it will work with XP. That it doesn't, or they didn't know what
> they were talking about, is another matter.
>
> Just because I was using Win98SE doesn't actually mean that it was
> purchased in 1998. An unwarrented assumption there, perhaps.
>
> An internet connection. Certianly, on this particular computer. The
> problem lies however on the other machine. A thought that evidently
> didn't occur to you.

Then you obviously have comprehension issues. Suggest you read my reply
again.

0
test1951 (391)

Print multiple pages with different name.
I have set up a timesheet in excel that I would like to be able to print with each employees name on it. Is there a way of doing this without creating a sheet for each employee. Say you put the names of the employees on Sheet2 (a1:Axxx). And you want to print Sheet1 (and the names go into C1). Then you could run a little macro to print: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim myCell As Range Dim myNamesRng As Range Dim myHeaderCell As Range With Worksheets("sheet2") Set myNamesRng = .Range("a1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)) ...

Normal landscape in print preview?
I have a nit-picky boss who doesn't like the way landscape is displayed in IE 7. I've found a way to automatically print a page in landscape okay which solves half the puzzle, but it *displays* sideways in Print Preview, as if somebody rotated the landscape page to the right by 90 degrees when rendering it onto print-preview. Is there a way to make the print-preview automatically display in landscape also? It's okay if it's IE-specific for now; thus I don't need a vendor-neutral solution, as long as it doesn't require installing active-X controls. Thanks Yo...

printing complete pages
When I go to print I only print one column "LDS" <LDS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61A62881-F869-45C9-9563-DDBA152D0B0A@microsoft.com... > When I go to print I only print one column Have you checked the Print area? "Gordon" wrote: > "LDS" <LDS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:61A62881-F869-45C9-9563-DDBA152D0B0A@microsoft.com... > > When I go to print I only print one column > > > Have you checked the Print area? > > Thanks for your response. How do I do that? > &...

Want colors on screen, but not when print
How do you show colors (highlighted cells) on the screen but not when they print. (I'm not interested in the black & white option b/c that still shades the cells when printing). I have received workbooks in the past that have a lot of colors but print without any color indication at all. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. "=?Utf-8?B?TWVyZWRpdGg=?=" <Meredith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:9A277E67-990B-4DBA-98E3-55ED57549D11@microsoft.com: > How do you show colors (highlighted cells) on the screen but not when > they print. (I'm not inte...

Z Report prompted to print a second
After each transaction our Epson prints a receipt, then RMS prompts us "would you like to print a receipt on Printer 2" and that is our option if we need a gift receipt for the customer. This works well. There is one minor issue we run into with this - after we run an X or Z report, we get the same prompt asking if we want to print a receipt on Printer 2. We never need a second X or Z, so we always select "No". Would like to eliminate this annoying prompt - any suggestions? -- Kris in store ops - database - registers - receipt formats - copy current receipt for...

A cell in my spreadsheet won't print
The cell content is text, a word and a number. I can see it in print preview, but it doesn't print. The cell is similar to a few other cells in the spreadsheet. I have re-entered it. I have copied from similar cells that do print. It still doesn't print. Any help? Check "view->pagebreak preview" and see if the cell in question i within the blue box -- WREFOR ----------------------------------------------------------------------- WREFORD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2659 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showt...

RM Statement Aging Buckets Printing in same position on statement
Our client uses a pre-printed statement form which includes the aging backets printed on the last page of the statement. They were previously using the short form continuous form and aging appeared in the same position on the statement. They have recently changed to the long form but the aging now appears in different places depending on the number of detail lines on the statement. I was told by support that this is how the statement is designed and that there is no way to get this. We would like the aging buckets to appear in the same position on the statement, which is on the chan...

Printing very slowly
We've been trying to troubleshoot an issue with PowerPoint 2007. We recently received a new template. It has high graphics on the first page and the last page (500K each) and a banner across the top and bottom of the other sides. The banner and the accompanying text were both made in PowerPoint--autoshape and text, so nothing special. But when we print, that blue banner takes forever to print. I had to print a presentation of 23 slides, and it took over two hours to print eight copies. Normally it would take half an hour. I also had to print one slide on a plotter pr...

Print 2 copies per page
I have a Publisher document that I would like to print 2 to a page (8-1/2 X 11 sheet). I keep getting only one smaller size document to page instead of two. What am I doing wrong. On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:24:02 +0100, Laurie wrote (in article <C2A6746C-8F2C-4884-ABE1-5838926874E9@microsoft.com>): > I have a Publisher document that I would like to print 2 to a page (8-1/2 X > 11 sheet). I keep getting only one smaller size document to page instead of > two. What am I doing wrong. What is this - a stupidity epidemic? A question ends in a '?' not a full stop. This...

Print from console application
Hi I am trying to make my program send a page to a printer from my console application. I want to print the content of a string variable. I have tried the following to print from a text file: Dim myPrint as New PrintDocument myPrint.DocumentName="C:\temp\MyTextDocument.txt" myPrint.Print This works, but the printed page is blank. However - what I really need is to print a text string (several lines). Any ideas? best regards Frank On 5/30/2010 8:04 AM, Frank GTL wrote: > Hi > I am trying to make my program send a page to a printer from my cons...

Automatically print email attachments
Does anyone know a way to make Outlook print the attachments to an email when it is received? -- 525047 See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/printarrival.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Do you sync your mailbox with a smartphone or pda? http://forums.sl...

print option greyed out on menu
My print option is greyed out on the drop-down menu. I have a printer installed. The document will print by clicking on the toolbar icon. I can't select a printer through the menu A couple of posibilities -- a macro has turned off the menu choice, some third party add-in influencing things (a part called Trade Station was known to grey out the right- click menu), printer driver issue, etc. Start by launching excel in safe mode (Start->Run- >Excel /s) Does the menu choice appear now? I'm assuming this is for any workbook and not a particular one. http://support.micros...

picture printing issues
How do I correct a printing problem with an existing publication sent to me from an editor? One of the pictures in the newsletter continually prints upside down. All the reast of the images and pictures print correctly. Use to be some .tif images that were scanned into Publisher would print upside down. I think that was fixed in a service pack. Do you have the Publisher file? Pictures in documents that were created in an earlier version of Office appear flipped in Office XP and Office 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312838/EN-US/ -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.c...

How do I print a particular part of a gantt view?
I'm new to Project and am using it more as a general scheduling tool. I'd like to be able to print the Gantt Chart view at various intervals while including the first two columns. For instance it currently wants to print beginning around January but I'd like to only print from February. I am trying to only have one page. I do not see a way to set a print area like you would in excel, does project have a way around this? Nevermind, I found it. Figures not two minutes later I discover the check box in the print option that I swear was not there before I posted. ...

Print Advanced Find Criteria
I have users who have requested that when they print the advanced find results they would like to also have the advanced find criteria printed. This would enable them to know what specifically the printout consists of when viewed at a later time. Any ideas? Hi Steve, Print screens cannot be customized. -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post is helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan :: CRM Freelance Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com "Steve Bambauer" wrote: > I have users who have requested that when they pr...

I want to start Excel in Print Preview. What's the quickest way?
I want to start Excel in Print Preview. What's the quickest way? Put the following in the ThisWorkbook code module of your workbook. Private Sub Workbook_Open() ActiveSheet.PrintPreview enablechanges:=True 'or false End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Newbie seeks quick answer!" <Newbie seeks quick answer!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0E08A1C-62F4-4A15-AA05-D3C9BB32152B@microsoft.com... >I want to start Excel in Print Preview. What's the quickest way? W...

Entourage 2004 printing problems
Does anyone know how to stop all the recipients appearing when printing emails in Entourage 2004. Thanks ...

How do I print a simple text file.
How do I print a simple text file? I don't need any fancy formatting. I can open the CPrintDialog to select the printer that I am interested in using. The help page talks about getting the printer DC following the DoModal. What do I with the DC to make the file print? You can call ShellExecute with the print verb. -- Sheng Jiang Microsoft MVP in VC++ "TonyG" <TonyG@junk.com> wrote in message news:mLsli.26651$C96.18@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net... > How do I print a simple text file? I don't need any fancy formatting. > > I can open the CPrintDialog to s...

How do I access the tiling option when printing?
I have Microsoft Office Publisher 2003. How can I access the tiling option to print 81/2 x 11 inch pieces that fit together like a puzzle? I intend to scan a photo and then print it as puzzle pieces that will fit together on a large canvas board. I hope to make this as a Christmas gift so any answers as soon as possible would be appreciated. That's not a Publisher feature. Or if it is, it's one I've never seen or heard of. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Puddlegum" <Puddlegum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A00F4C8B-1B34-4...

template for publisher to print avery 5167 labels
how do i get the template or print labels on Avery 5167? Pub 2003 has a template for Avery 5267, which is the same size as the 5167. (The difference is quantity, not size.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Mike C" <Mike C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:393CC88D-D530-4598-90A1-CB19D823131C@microsoft.com... > how do i get the template or print labels on Avery 5167? ...

Can't print from outlook
Everytime I try to print an email within Outlook I get a bubble pop up error saying that I cannot print while not connected to the exchange server. Well, I am connected to the exchange server, it even says so in the system tray. And, if I select "work off line", then I can print. What happened? I am having the same problem on every machine. This used to work. Could it be something with my exchange server? Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2 with Exchange 2003 Enterprise. Workstations are local hardwire connection. Thanks guys, Dan ...

Printing HTML formatted messages
I have noticed that when I print HTML formatted messages, the current date is printed in the lower left corner of every page. It also seems do ignore the Header/Footer settings form the memo or table style settings. Can I disable the date from printing out on the page? Thanks. Ben ...

non-printing background
how do i insert a page number as a non-printing background in the sheet? (see page number without preview) If I understand you correctly try View > Page Break View HTH Sandy -- to e-mail direct replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "csit" <csitnnn@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%2374mFFkQFHA.2348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > how do i insert a page number as a non-printing background in the sheet? > (see page number without preview) > > ...

Printing Outlook
Outlook 2007. On printing I would like to just print a section of an email. Can't find it in the print section of outlook. Using Vista Home Edition Perhaps if you posted your question in an Outlook newsgroup you'll get some help. this one is for Publisher. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Lucy" <Lucy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0B64290-D083-436F-B22F-8439E5E0DC85@microsoft.com... > Outlook 2007. On printing I would like to just print a section of an > email. ...

Stacked charts misalign when printed
Hi, I have two charts layed over eachother, with one's background completely transparent, in order to be able to see all the data I want in one visible chart (I saw that trick on one of the MVP's sites). So aligning the two charts was already a tedious work, but now I print them (even in print preview), the alignment gets messed up, so you can see it are actually two charts instead of one. Can anyone help me solve this issue? Thanks, What type of charts are you stacking. Line and bar? Is the X axis label the same for both? Please advise. Barb Reinhardt "Hans"...