Converting word documents

I created a multi page black/white word document using a mix of text and
diagrams on multiple  drawing canvases.  My commercial printer suggested I
convert the file to publisher for better print quality and ease of handling
(his).  When I try to convert, I get a jumbled mess.  Does publisher not
recognize the word drawing tools (canvases)?  Is there a way to bring this
file into publisher?  The primary issue is that the printer wants the colors
changed to CMYK in the final document.  I have saved the document as a PDF,
but evidently he stilled needed to convert the colors.  Any suggestions?
0
hmd (3)

Most Commercial Print shops will gladly accept PDF documents. What seems to be
the problem?

Here is a PDF solution that was posted here:

In Publisher:
a. Select "Generic Color PS for Commercial Printing" as your printer output.
b. On "File/Print/Advanced settings" select Composite CMYK.
c. Tools/Commercial Printing Tools/Color printing select "Process colors CMYK".

Print your pages to a output file with the ending .ps.

Open Adobe Acrobat Distiller and select "Press Quality" settings, or better
PDF/X-1a if you have the professional version (check with your printer). Open
your .ps file, and it will produce your .pdf The resulting PDF file should be
separated CMYK!!!

Regards Terje

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"hmd" <hmd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I created a multi page black/white word document using a mix of text and
> diagrams on multiple  drawing canvases.  My commercial printer suggested I
> convert the file to publisher for better print quality and ease of handling
> (his).  When I try to convert, I get a jumbled mess.  Does publisher not
> recognize the word drawing tools (canvases)?  Is there a way to bring this
> file into publisher?  The primary issue is that the printer wants the colors
> changed to CMYK in the final document.  I have saved the document as a PDF,
> but evidently he stilled needed to convert the colors.  Any suggestions?

0
mary.sauer (2018)
12/30/2008 6:08:37 PM
Thanks for the response.  They did print a document for me once using the
PDF, but strongly encouraged me to to use publisher.  I will re-do my color
cover pages in publisher, but I can't seem to bring the text/diagram pages
into publisher without problems.  The directions stated below assume the
document is already in publisher.  Is there a way to perform the same in Word?
Thanks.
Helle-May

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Most Commercial Print shops will gladly accept PDF documents. What seems to be
> the problem?
>
> Here is a PDF solution that was posted here:
>
> In Publisher:
> a. Select "Generic Color PS for Commercial Printing" as your printer output.
> b. On "File/Print/Advanced settings" select Composite CMYK.
> c. Tools/Commercial Printing Tools/Color printing select "Process colors CMYK".
>
> Print your pages to a output file with the ending .ps.
>
> Open Adobe Acrobat Distiller and select "Press Quality" settings, or better
> PDF/X-1a if you have the professional version (check with your printer). Open
> your .ps file, and it will produce your .pdf The resulting PDF file should be
> separated CMYK!!!
>
> Regards Terje
>

> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "hmd" <hmd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I created a multi page black/white word document using a mix of text and
> > diagrams on multiple  drawing canvases.  My commercial printer suggested I
> > convert the file to publisher for better print quality and ease of handling
> > (his).  When I try to convert, I get a jumbled mess.  Does publisher not
> > recognize the word drawing tools (canvases)?  Is there a way to bring this
> > file into publisher?  The primary issue is that the printer wants the colors
> > changed to CMYK in the final document.  I have saved the document as a PDF,
> > but evidently he stilled needed to convert the colors.  Any suggestions?

0
hmd (3)
12/30/2008 6:31:00 PM
You may be able to convert to CMYK when you print to a PDF, looks like you
can with Acrobat Pro (dunno if any of the freebie's can do it...also dunno
what kind of quality you'll end up with coming from Word)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

> Thanks for the response.  They did print a document for me once using the
> PDF, but strongly encouraged me to to use publisher.  I will re-do my
> color
> cover pages in publisher, but I can't seem to bring the text/diagram pages
> into publisher without problems.  The directions stated below assume the
> document is already in publisher.  Is there a way to perform the same in
> Word?
> Thanks.
> Helle-May
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Most Commercial Print shops will gladly accept PDF documents. What seems
>> to be
>> the problem?
>>
>> Here is a PDF solution that was posted here:
>>
>> In Publisher:
>> a. Select "Generic Color PS for Commercial Printing" as your printer
>> output.
>> b. On "File/Print/Advanced settings" select Composite CMYK.
>> c. Tools/Commercial Printing Tools/Color printing select "Process colors
>> CMYK".
>>
>> Print your pages to a output file with the ending .ps.
>>
>> Open Adobe Acrobat Distiller and select "Press Quality" settings, or
>> better
>> PDF/X-1a if you have the professional version (check with your printer).
>> Open
>> your .ps file, and it will produce your .pdf The resulting PDF file
>> should be
>> separated CMYK!!!
>>
>> Regards Terje
>>

>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "hmd" <hmd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I created a multi page black/white word document using a mix of text and
>> > diagrams on multiple  drawing canvases.  My commercial printer
>> > suggested I
>> > convert the file to publisher for better print quality and ease of
>> > handling
>> > (his).  When I try to convert, I get a jumbled mess.  Does publisher
>> > not
>> > recognize the word drawing tools (canvases)?  Is there a way to bring
>> > this
>> > file into publisher?  The primary issue is that the printer wants the
>> > colors
>> > changed to CMYK in the final document.  I have saved the document as a
>> > PDF,
>> > but evidently he stilled needed to convert the colors.  Any
>> > suggestions?

0
webmaster911 (1600)
12/30/2008 8:37:59 PM
Can you copy/paste the diagrams?

Try this, create a text box, right-click the text box, click change text, click
text file, browse to the Word document. Publisher will automatically create
pages and text boxes. This works for me except I do have to adjust the layout.

What version Publisher are you using?
--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"hmd" <hmd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the response.  They did print a document for me once using the
> PDF, but strongly encouraged me to to use publisher.  I will re-do my color
> cover pages in publisher, but I can't seem to bring the text/diagram pages
> into publisher without problems.  The directions stated below assume the
> document is already in publisher.  Is there a way to perform the same in Word?
> Thanks.
> Helle-May
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Most Commercial Print shops will gladly accept PDF documents. What seems to
>> be
>> the problem?
>>
>> Here is a PDF solution that was posted here:
>>
>> In Publisher:
>> a. Select "Generic Color PS for Commercial Printing" as your printer output.
>> b. On "File/Print/Advanced settings" select Composite CMYK.
>> c. Tools/Commercial Printing Tools/Color printing select "Process colors
>> CMYK".
>>
>> Print your pages to a output file with the ending .ps.
>>
>> Open Adobe Acrobat Distiller and select "Press Quality" settings, or better
>> PDF/X-1a if you have the professional version (check with your printer). Open
>> your .ps file, and it will produce your .pdf The resulting PDF file should be
>> separated CMYK!!!
>>
>> Regards Terje
>>

>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "hmd" <hmd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I created a multi page black/white word document using a mix of text and
>> > diagrams on multiple  drawing canvases.  My commercial printer suggested I
>> > convert the file to publisher for better print quality and ease of handling
>> > (his).  When I try to convert, I get a jumbled mess.  Does publisher not
>> > recognize the word drawing tools (canvases)?  Is there a way to bring this
>> > file into publisher?  The primary issue is that the printer wants the
>> > colors
>> > changed to CMYK in the final document.  I have saved the document as a PDF,
>> > but evidently he stilled needed to convert the colors.  Any suggestions?

0
mary.sauer (2018)

Converting a Microsoft Word document to a PC document

Word merged with Access
I am using both Word and Access 2003. When I merge a Word Letter with Access, sometimes not all of the queries show up, in the drop down box, to link the letter with. Does anyone have any ideas of why this happens? Is there a way to make all of the queries show up? Are the queries limited to a certain number? I would appreciate any help or ideas that you can give me. Aurora Aurora Without more information, I can only guess... Any chance any of those queries that are not showing up are NOT "select" queries (i.e., they are Make Table, or Delete or Insert queri...

Is there a list of characters that Word considers equivalent on Fi
Word's Find will find "equivalent" characters. For example, a find for straight quotes will also find curly quotes, and a find for a space will also find a non-breaking space. Where can I find a list of the characters that Word considers equivalent in this sense? Thanks. ...

Ease of visibility of the Ribbon in Word 2007 and Excel 2007
As installed the colour intensity of the Ribbon in Word and Excel 2007 is very faint and it is not particularly easy to read. Is there some means of increasing the colour intensity to make it easier to read? I have fairly good sight but still have difficulty. Unless the colour intensity can be adjusted it must be virtually impossible for people with poor sight to read the details on the Ribbon. Try this (not sure if you will have this on your computer but it is worth a try):- Control Panel / Ease of Access / Ease of Access Center There are a number of options in here ...

Convert date to months
I have a database that has multiple dates in it. What I am trying to do is in one field I have a date and I am want that date to convert to months in another field. Can anyone help me on this. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200707/1 are you trying to find months between dates? or convert 4 to April? Look at format function for ways to display months, datediff function for months difference.. "bohon79 via AccessMonster.com" <u35329@uwe> wrote in message news:74ac2f3f40ce9@uwe... >I have a database ...

Defaults on Print Sales Documents screen
Is there a way to set defaults on the boxes selected under the Picking Ticket column on the Print Sales Documents screen? Currently when we open the screen, we have to select which boxes to tick and since we always select the same boxes we wondered if there was a way to have them default when the screen is opened so we don't have to click each time. We want the "Picking Ticket Per Site" box, the "Include Kit Components" box and the "Bin Sequenced" box selected as default values. Thanks!! LMG, You can accomplish this with a small VBA customization, b...

hyperlinks within the same document are not working
Hi. I am trying to create an email publication in MS publisher 2007. It has several stories that will be sent out in email and the first section is supposed to contain a summary with hyperlinks to each story within the same email for more details. I am adding a bookmark at the begining of each story, and then trying to create a hyperlink in the summary section to the bookmark. However, when I send the publication as email, or do an email preview, the hyperlinks do not work. Please help! ...

Word to Excel conversion
As we are able to mail merge from the Excel data, is it possible to convert MS Word labels into Excel Data? Hi how do you store your data currently?. If it is in a Word Table you may simply copy+paste thiese contents to Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany vkumar2000@hotmail.com wrote: > As we are able to mail merge from the Excel data, is it > possible to convert MS Word labels into Excel Data? ...

Amount in words to be printed on the invoice
Hi Mates, I need to print the invoice amount in words in MRMS 2.0 Any suggestions Thanks this is available through Microsoft. check out the following site: https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/downloads/reportslibrary/rms_reportslibrary.htm "RK" wrote: > Hi Mates, > > I need to print the invoice amount in words in MRMS 2.0 > > Any suggestions > > Thanks ...

Business Portal
BP 3.0 I am trying to set up our Business Portal to be as easy as possible for our sales team. One of the requests they have made is the ability to find out WHAT PO is COMMITTED to the SPECIFIC line item in an order. Similar to actually looking at GP Sales Transaction Entry window where it gives an icon to show that the item has been purchased, what PO it's been committed to. I have spent hours trying to make this happen. Has anyone else been able to do this? If so, I would appreciate detailed steps. Thank you ...

Need to convert point on screen to various screen resolutions
Let's say you click on a button on your screen at 1000,2500 TWIPS and your resolution is 800 X 600. Now you change your screen resolution to 1024 X 768 and you need to click on the same button in it's new location on the screen. Who's 100 times smarter than I am and can do some tricky math that will tell me the TWIPS to find that button? I'd ned to do the same calculation for other screen resolutions like 640 X 480 etc. http://www.applecore99.com/api/api012.asp -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Donna YaWanna" <diy@mdahospital.com> wrote in message news:%23HMLEWW2...

How do I convert a list to an Excel file?
I have a WORD file with 48 lines of comma delimited data in the form: xxx,xxxxxxx,xxxxxx,x,x,xxx,xxxxxxxxx xx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xx,x I would like to convert the WORD list to EXCEL. When I attempt to open the WORD file in EXCEL, I thought a conversion window would appear....what I actually get is "incorrect format" Hi! Save the WORD file as a plain text file. Then, when you open the file in Excel a Wizard will open and step you through it. Just select COMMA as the delimiter. Biff >-----Original Message----- >I have a WORD file with 48 lines of comma delimited data in ...

Excel object within Word doc
I am sure I am doing something in error ... but all I want to do is take a spreadsheet and embed it in my word doc. I click on 'Insert', then 'Object', choose 'Excel 97-2003', 'Display as Icon', copy data into spreadsheet, 'save', 'close and return' ... However, when I go to view it at a later time - the spreadsheet does not open and I end up in the picture editing part of Word. ...

How to create an XML document with XmlTextWriter?
Hi, I'm trying to create an XML document with XMLTextWriter but I want to store it in memory (not write it to a file like so many examples do). I tried the following but with no luck. Should I not user this object for this purpose? Thanks, Dave MemoryStream stm = new MemoryStream() XmlTextWriter writer = new XmlTextWriter(stm, System.Text.Encoding.UTF8) writer.WriteStartDocument() writer.WriteComment("This Is A List of My Books") writer.WriteStartElement("MyBooks") writer.WriteStartElement("Book") writer.WriteAttributeString("ISBN", "1861005...

document elements (et. al.) toolbar in Word 2008
I may be in the minority here, but I happen to love the Ribbon UI on the PC version. It can collapse down to nothing when needed, and expand out (and even be customized I hear in 2010). That's on the PC. On the Mac I want a Mac-like UI. The Document Elements bar is so out to planet Jupiter on both functionality and as an accelerator into functions writers need most that it's laughable it made it into a release. (I'd much rather have a Mac ribbon that the Document Elements toolbar since at least the ribbon exposes USEFUL functions.) I mean, really =97 how many UPS or Del Mon...

Combine small documents into one master document
Hi, I currently have an "engagement letter" that is created for our clients to set the expectations for our business relationship (I work for attorneys). We have about 10 different paragraphs that may be inserted into the letter based on different factors (3rd party payor, if a retainer is required, etc.). So I start with the basic letter and then have a userform with checkboxes where you can select the text block options (stored in Autotext). When you click OK the various paragraphs are inserted at bookmarks. While this works, I find working with Autotext cumber...

how to use 2007 styles in Word 2003
hi everyone, we have Word 2003 but we really like the Styles that come with Word 2007. Is it possible to export these Styles and use it in Word 2003? And if yes, how can i do that. In Word 2007, click the Home tab of the ribbon. In the Styles group, click Change Styles | Style Set | Word 2003. To make this choice the default, click Change Styles again, and then click Set as Default. If/when you are prompted to save the changes to your template, choose to do so. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "skoub" <skoub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Dlookup turn -1 or 0 into a word
I have a message box that displays if a product is 'Stocked' or 'Not STocked' but in the databse its stored as -1 or 0 I use the follwoing code DLookup("StockedItem", "tblProduct", "ProductID=" & Me.ProductID) So in the message box at the moment it says -1 or 0, how do i code it to says 'stocked' if -1 and 'Not STocked' if 0 Thanks Assuming ever field has a value: If Stocked = -1 Then MsgBox "Stocked", vbOKOnly Else MsgBox "Not Stocked", vbOKOnly End If -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MV...

attaching documents
I am trying to figure out how to attaching a document without having it appear as an icon in the body of the message. I want it to appear as a file name in a field under the subject. I used to be able to do this. Send the message in HTML or Plain Text format, instead of Rich Text format. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:030801c3bf58$bc799de0$a301280a@phx.gbl, beth.thompson@thomson.com wrote: > I am trying to figure out how to attaching a d...

Convert litres per 100km to miles per gallon easily
I need to be able to set up a spreadsheet that allows users to type in a figure for Litres per 100km (fuel consumption measure) and translate it into a miles per gallon (UK measures) figure (fuel economy measure). ok here is a long way to do it say cell A1 is where you type your figure of l/100 k in some other cell type this 100/A1*4.55*0.62 4.55 l per uk gallon.0.62 kilometer =mile..... every time you type a figure in A1 the MPG displays in your other cell...... easy one to check me on is 10 l 100 ks,= 10 km litre =28.2 mpg -- paul remove nospam for email addy! "Ann Cardus" ...

How to convert Conditional Format into the "real" format?
Hi, does anybody know the trick to easily convert Conditional Formatting into the "real" cell format? (don't need to have conditional format anymore) Thanks Select your cells. Choose Format/Conditional Formatting... and click Delete. In article <ugg2DVbJEHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Arie Sukendro" <info@NOSPAMdrsirx.com> wrote: > Hi, > does anybody know the trick to easily convert Conditional Formatting into > the "real" cell format? (don't need to have conditional format anymore) > Thanks This will remove the conditiona...

How do I stop Excel opening up my PDF documents
Hi thanks in advance, Every time I open up a pdf through email etc, Excel opens it up in excel. How do I stop this from happening? All the PDF's show in the email with an excel icon document image? Many thanks Isagold Mon, 29 Mar 2010 00:14:01 -0700 from isagold <isagold@discussions.microsoft.com>: > > Hi thanks in advance, > Every time I open up a pdf through email etc, Excel opens it up in excel. > How do I stop this from happening? > All the PDF's show in the email with an excel icon document image? Your file associations are screwed up. Yo...

How to transfer AutoCorrect entries from Word 2002 for Windows
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Hi, <br><br>I have a friend who has built up a *massive* AutoCorrect file from many years of using Word 2002 on a Windows PC. Most are plain text, but a small number are formatted. He now (thankfully!) has a MacBook with Office 2004 and wants to know how he can move all of his AutoCorrect entries across to work under Word for Mac. I know where the AutoCorrect file is stored on his Mac (in the ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft folder), but it appears to be a completely different format to the corresponding file from his PC. &...

Excel Data to Word Mailing Labels
Has anyone ever done this? I've tried several ways to do this that seem like they should work and they don't. I've been sent several multi-hundred lined worksheets that include mailing label information, and I really don't want to have to type it again by hand into Word. Linda, Tell how your data in the table is laid out. Give a couple of rows of examples. Include the headings. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Linda" <ldaugherty@tams.com> wrote in message news:0f4901c37bea$c87a5...

help w/converting pub 2003 to pub 2000
I am in great need of assistance converting a publisher 2003 file to publisher 2000 by tomorrow!!! Can anyone help me?? Thanks Niki Holton Niki Holton wrote: > I am in great need of assistance converting a publisher 2003 file to > publisher 2000 by tomorrow!!! Can anyone help me?? > > > Thanks > > Niki Holton magrat (underscore) garlick (at) hotmail (dot) com. -- In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/ ...