Columns #2

Howdy  --  I'm running Publisher 2002 and Windows XP. I formatted 500 words
of text into a 3 column format, fully justified (Times Roman, 10 pt). All is
okay except the last line of each paragraph. Whether it is one word or six
words, that last line expands to full column width. When it's one word
thus--   p         l        a       n      .    -- it is unacceptable. What
am I missing in the formatting? Any cures?

Thanks    --  Mike

Michael LeFan
The Write Place < www.lefan.com >
'Patience, My Foot!' <www.lefan.com/patience/>
Voice: 254.773-3590
Fax: 254.231-4128
E-mail: mlefan@lefan.com

0
mlefan (1)

This can happen if for some reason you have extra spaces preceding the
wording being expanded. Turn on display special characters for an easy way
to spot this. You can also work around this problem when it's the final word
in the paragraph by inserting a tab after the period.
--
Ron

"Michael LeFan" <mlefan@vvm.com> wrote in message
> Howdy  --  I'm running Publisher 2002 and Windows XP. I formatted 500
> words of text into a 3 column format, fully justified (Times Roman, 10
> pt). All is okay except the last line of each paragraph. Whether it is one
> word or six words, that last line expands to full column width. When it's
> one word thus--   p         l        a       n      .    -- it is
> unacceptable. What am I missing in the formatting? Any cures?
>
> Thanks    --  Mike
>

> Michael LeFan
> The Write Place < www.lefan.com >
> 'Patience, My Foot!' <www.lefan.com/patience/>
> Voice: 254.773-3590
> Fax: 254.231-4128
> E-mail: mlefan@lefan.com

0
Ron
6/3/2005 6:53:45 PM
I must be an oddball - I ALWAYS have that option turned on. There are
programs that don't have that feature and I wish they did.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Ron Cohen" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
> This can happen if for some reason you have extra spaces preceding the
> wording being expanded. Turn on display special characters for an easy way
> to spot this. You can also work around this problem when it's the final
> word in the paragraph by inserting a tab after the period.
> --
> Ron
>
> "Michael LeFan" <mlefan@vvm.com> wrote in message
>> Howdy  --  I'm running Publisher 2002 and Windows XP. I formatted 500
>> words of text into a 3 column format, fully justified (Times Roman, 10
>> pt). All is okay except the last line of each paragraph. Whether it is
>> one word or six words, that last line expands to full column width. When
>> it's one word thus--   p         l        a       n      .    -- it is
>> unacceptable. What am I missing in the formatting? Any cures?
>>
>> Thanks    --  Mike
>>

>> Michael LeFan
>> The Write Place < www.lefan.com >
>> 'Patience, My Foot!' <www.lefan.com/patience/>
>> Voice: 254.773-3590
>> Fax: 254.231-4128
>> E-mail: mlefan@lefan.com

0
jl_amerson (3088)
6/3/2005 7:52:21 PM
If you do a shift+enter you will get the last line expansion.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Michael LeFan" <mlefan@vvm.com> wrote in message
> Howdy  --  I'm running Publisher 2002 and Windows XP. I formatted 500 words of text
> into a 3 column format, fully justified (Times Roman, 10 pt). All is okay except
> the last line of each paragraph. Whether it is one word or six words, that last
> line expands to full column width. When it's one word thus--   p         l        a
> n      .    -- it is unacceptable. What am I missing in the formatting? Any cures?
>
> Thanks    --  Mike
>

> Michael LeFan
> The Write Place < www.lefan.com >
> 'Patience, My Foot!' <www.lefan.com/patience/>
> Voice: 254.773-3590
> Fax: 254.231-4128
> E-mail: mlefan@lefan.com

0
gsauer (5093)
6/3/2005 9:33:43 PM
Same here. I always have display special characters turned on. I've tried
using Serif Page Plus and unless I'm the village idiot I haven't found that
option available. Most people don't utilize that function, but I find it
difficult to get along without it.
--
Ron

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_amerson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I must be an oddball - I ALWAYS have that option turned on. There are
>programs that don't have that feature and I wish they did.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>

> "Ron Cohen" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
>> This can happen if for some reason you have extra spaces preceding the
>> wording being expanded. Turn on display special characters for an easy
>> way to spot this. You can also work around this problem when it's the
>> final word in the paragraph by inserting a tab after the period.
>> --
>> Ron
>>
>> "Michael LeFan" <mlefan@vvm.com> wrote in message
>>> Howdy  --  I'm running Publisher 2002 and Windows XP. I formatted 500
>>> words of text into a 3 column format, fully justified (Times Roman, 10
>>> pt). All is okay except the last line of each paragraph. Whether it is
>>> one word or six words, that last line expands to full column width. When
>>> it's one word thus--   p         l        a       n      .    -- it is
>>> unacceptable. What am I missing in the formatting? Any cures?
>>>
>>> Thanks    --  Mike
>>>

>>> Michael LeFan
>>> The Write Place < www.lefan.com >
>>> 'Patience, My Foot!' <www.lefan.com/patience/>
>>> Voice: 254.773-3590
>>> Fax: 254.231-4128
>>> E-mail: mlefan@lefan.com

0
Ron
6/4/2005 2:39:21 AM
Ron,

Select the text you want by clicking in the textbox, then Ctrl/E, then
click on the � (Alt, Zero, 1, 8, 2) character on the toolbar.

Mike

Ron Cohen wrote:
> Same here. I always have display special characters turned on. I've tried
> using Serif Page Plus and unless I'm the village idiot I haven't found that
> option available. Most people don't utilize that function, but I find it
> difficult to get along without it.
0
wordwiz (948)
6/4/2005 3:11:01 AM
Me too! It drives me nuts to see two spaces between words instead of one. Or
worse yet - when people use spaces and/or tabs when they want to center text
and returns to center it vertically! ARGH!

--

> Same here. I always have display special characters turned on. I've tried
> using Serif Page Plus and unless I'm the village idiot I haven't found
> that option available. Most people don't utilize that function, but I find
> it difficult to get along without it.
> --
> Ron
>
> "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_amerson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I must be an oddball - I ALWAYS have that option turned on. There are
>>programs that don't have that feature and I wish they did.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>

>> "Ron Cohen" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
>>> This can happen if for some reason you have extra spaces preceding the
>>> wording being expanded. Turn on display special characters for an easy
>>> way to spot this. You can also work around this problem when it's the
>>> final word in the paragraph by inserting a tab after the period.
>>> --
>>> Ron
>>>
>>> "Michael LeFan" <mlefan@vvm.com> wrote in message

0
jl_amerson (3088)
6/4/2005 3:33:39 AM
No wonder I couldn't find it. Now I only feel like a part time village
id-10-t. This is definitely one area where Publisher beats Page Plus. I do
like the ease of using ctrl-e however. That part is better than Publisher.
--
Ron

"Mike Koewler" <wordwiz@fuse.net> wrote in message
> Ron,
>
> Select the text you want by clicking in the textbox, then Ctrl/E, then
> click on the � (Alt, Zero, 1, 8, 2) character on the toolbar.
>
> Mike
>
> Ron Cohen wrote:
>> Same here. I always have display special characters turned on. I've tried
>> using Serif Page Plus and unless I'm the village idiot I haven't found
>> that option available. Most people don't utilize that function, but I
>> find it difficult to get along without it.

0
Ron
6/4/2005 5:21:23 AM
I like the feature set of WritePlus, but I wish it were just built in to
PagePlus so I didn't have a secondary window.

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.
> No wonder I couldn't find it. Now I only feel like a part time village
> id-10-t. This is definitely one area where Publisher beats Page Plus. I do
> like the ease of using ctrl-e however. That part is better than Publisher.
> --
> Ron
>
> "Mike Koewler" <wordwiz@fuse.net> wrote in message
>> Ron,
>>
>> Select the text you want by clicking in the textbox, then Ctrl/E, then
>> click on the � (Alt, Zero, 1, 8, 2) character on the toolbar.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Ron Cohen wrote:
>>> Same here. I always have display special characters turned on. I've
>>> tried using Serif Page Plus and unless I'm the village idiot I haven't
>>> found that option available. Most people don't utilize that function,
>>> but I find it difficult to get along without it.

0
bkvalheim1 (519)

Linking 2 workbooks
What is the formula/procedure to link an entry in a Source workbook to an identified name in another workbook? Example: Sam makes numerous donations over time that are entered into the main spreadsheet. Entry of a given donation should automatically appear as a separate entry in his own identified workbook. ...

2 different Deleted Items folders??
Decided to try Outlook after years with OE. Set up email and news accounts. Imported messages from OE. When I open Outlook, show Folders, I see Outlook Today - [Personal Folders], Deleted Items, Inbox, etc. I emptied the Deleted Items folder. Then, View, Goto, News, show Folders, I see Outlook Newsreader, Local Folders, then most of the same folders that I see under Personal Folders in the Outlook window, including another Deleted Items folder, and this one isn't empty. Where did I go wrong? Al The Outlook Newsreader is actually Outlook Express which maintains its own folder...

MS Money small business for Canada #2
Hi, I would like to purchase MS Money small business to handle my company accountings. I am located in Canada and was wondering how flexible this product is to be customized for Canadian Tax system and payroll rules. Regards, Alex In microsoft.public.money, Alex wrote: > > >I would like to purchase MS Money small business to handle my company >accountings. I am located in Canada and was wondering how flexible this >product is to be customized for Canadian Tax system and payroll rules. The last such product was Money 2000. Today only Standard is available for Canada. Th...

get number of monday, tuesday,... between 2 dates
Hi, how can I get number of monday, tuesday,... between 2 dates? Thanks, Racsus (Racsus@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > Hi, how can I get number of monday, tuesday,... between 2 dates? DECLARE @offset int, @day varchar(10) SELECT @day = 'Tuesday' SELECT @offset = CASE @day WHEN 'Monday' THEN 1 WHEN 'Tuesday' THEN 2 WHEN 'Mittwoch' THEN 3 WHEN 'Thursday' THEN 4 WHEN 'Friday' THEN 5 ...

Delete Columns
In Excel, I need a macro that will delete a column based on a cell that will contain a name based on an input box. Thanks, Bernie See you OTHER post. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Bernie" <bml66@aol.com> wrote in message news:1172699736.687460.300590@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > In Excel, I need a macro that will delete a column based on a cell > that will contain a name based on an input box. > > Thanks, > Bernie > ...

MSPOS 2.0
To change the behavior of the screen's min/max buttons one must enable it through the POS View. Need to be able to set this in Manager View also for non-POS machines without having to hack the database. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.m...

Auto Format #2
Can't find Auto Format, did excel 2007 decide not to have this function, is there a similiar function to be used instead of autoformat? Hi Ness! If you want to select a formatting for your table select Format as Table in the Home Tab of the Ribbon. I believe that is the replacement for the Auto Format command in the previous versions of Microsoft Excel. Hope this Helps! -- Chester C. Coronel Junior BSIT Student University of Asia and the Pacific, Philippines Read the StudentEmpowered Blog!http://msforums.ph/blogs/chestercoronel "Ness" wrote: > Can't find Auto F...

How do I randomly shuffle the cells in a column?
In Excel 2003, I have a column, say a1-a10, with certain entries. I need to create another column, b1-b10, with the same entries assigned randomly (shuffled) to the cells. Just one way .. Put in B1: =INDEX(A:A,RANK(C1,$C$1:$C$10)) Put in C1: =RAND() Select B1:C1, copy down to C10 B1:B10 returns a random shuffle of what's in A1:A10 Press F9 to re-shuffle -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Jason D" <Jason D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36244977-7EE5-436B-8617-59C15310B080@microsoft.com... >...

add result column to pivot table
I have 2 columns in a pivot table - decription and amount. I need to calc a % of each value of the total. I don't know how to do that. Add another copy of the Amount field to the pivot table's data area. To display, the fields horizontally, drag the Data button, onto the cell that contains the word 'Total' -- there's a picture here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot02.html Right-click on the heading for the second Amount column Choose Field Settings Click the Options button Type a Name for the field, e.g. Percent Choose to 'Show Data as' % of column Cli...

How keep chart-datapoints displayed when column-width is set to zero
Hello there, my data basis for a chart has one column, that I don't want to be shown in the spreadsheet. However, when I set this column's width to zero, the correspondig data dissapear from the chart. How can I have both, a hidden column and its values shown in the chart at the same time ? Kind regards, H.G. Lamy H.G. - Select the chart, then select Options from the Tools menu, click on the Chart tab, and UNcheck the Plot Visible Cells Only checkbox. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ hglamy wrote: &...

increase column number limit?
Is there a way to increase the number of columns beyond ~260? Thanks /b No, sorry. Dan E "bill northlich" <billn@wildpackets.com> wrote in message news:eE3bpxpYDHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to increase the number of columns beyond ~260? Thanks > /b > 256 is the max. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference -----------...

Unable to send emails #2
My mail server is not sending out emails. When I perform an NSLookup on the server's IP address I get an UNKNOWN for the server name. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote: >My mail server is not sending out emails. When I perform an NSLookup on the >server's IP address I get an UNKNOWN for the server name. > >Any ideas would be appreciated. Fix your DNS or your network connection to your DNS. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm I have...

XML ASP.NET 2.o Issue
Hi, I have the following code and I'm using News.xsl to read the XML file - Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load '---------------------------------------------------------------------------- THIS PAST (myXml.Document) IS NOT WORKING IN ASP.NET 2.0 '---------------------------------------------------------------------------- myXml.Document = getXML(nSource.SelectedItem.Value) End Sub Function getXML(ByVal sourceFile As String) Dim myRequest As System.Net.WebRequest = System.Net.WebRequest....

ms pos 1.2 weird word jumble
Store Operations Manager was not working, so I did a repair install. After the repair, the wrong phrases were in the wrong spot. For example, instead of cancel it says "category code" and instead of file it says "Filter:" Does anyone has an idea how to fix this? I took a screenshot of the home screen so you can see the weirdness for yourself: http://picasaweb.google.com/MissVoldemort/Weird#5349426894521446370 ------------------------------------- ##-----------------------------------------------## Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/ Tax and Account...

How to group all data from 1 column into several columns (Redo)
I have 2 columns in my spreadsheet, Company Names and Event. The Event column values are Event 1, Event 2, Event 3, Event 4 and the company names repeat for each of the events that they attended. So sometimes I might have a company listed 4 times with each Event corresponding to it in the next column. How can I consolidate all of the company names so that there is 1 row for each company and all events are on the same row but in different columns marked with an x (the column labels will be Company name, Event 1, Event 2, Event 3, Event 4). This is what I have... Company Name...

Columns to Rows
I'm sure this is a simple problem but I'm trying to convert columns o data into rows of data. What's the easiest way -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following: - copy your column (CTRL+C) - goto 'Edit - Paste Special) and choose 'Transpose' as action Frank > I'm sure this is a simple problem but I'm trying to convert columns of > data into rows of data. What's the easiest way? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Just read Tom's post, paste special and then transpose -- Messag...

Xml validation against xsd #2

Overlay 4 years of data as a line on 4 years of columns for several x category labels
Dear Charting aficianados, The tutorial at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ClusterColAndLine.html is the closest example I can find to a charting conundrum I am facing, though what I am hoping to achieve is still a little different. I've made a mock up of what I'm hoping to achieve - though I have had to use drawing objects for the line series, to overlay on the columns - I'm sure there is a way to get excel to do this - do you think there is? (sheet named mock-up) A workbook with mocuk-up and my other charting attmempts can be found: http://www.savefile.com/files/2690840 T...

Missing Recipients #2
We are running Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 with all of the service packs for both. Recently we noticed that when users sent email sometimes the recipients would appar blank. The recipients were present when the email was sent and they also received the message, however when we look in sent items or the recipient pulls up the message in their inbox it will just display a blank field in the To field. I am certain that they are not using the BCC field and it happens to multiple users so it's not specific to somebody's computer. What is causing this issue? ...

Multiplication error #2
I noticed that Excel 2003 calculates: 7.5*1.2=8.7 when the correct answer is 9.0. It did this as part of a formula where the 1.2 answer came from calculating another set of numbers. When I asked Excel to calculate this answer by simply inputting those two numbers the correct answer of 9.0 came out. Does anyone have an answer as to why it does that?! Hmmm.... 8.7. Well, 7.5+1.2=8.7. Are you sure there's not a plus sign in there? ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "DeeJay" <DeeJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72EA8922-F5BA-486...

Auto Assigning Categories #2
Hello does any one know if this is possible: Can I bulk assign categories to transactions that have already been imported into money from my bank. Is there a way to assign one transaction then have Money update all similar transactions with my the new category assignment. Also will money remember the new category assignment and auto assign all similar future transactions? -- Joe In microsoft.public.money, Joe Robison wrote: >Hello does any one know if this is possible: Can I bulk assign categories to >transactions that have already been imported into money from my bank. I...

dynamic named range #2
thank-you, as usual, top notch! E -- ExcelMonke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ExcelMonkey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=522 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26678 ...

Title Cut Off if Rows to Repeat & Columns to Repeat are Both Selec
I need a way to fix a print problem. When I go into File - Page Setup, and I choose which rows to repeat at the top ($1:$5) and select which columns to repeat at left ($A:$A), the rows at the top never print completely on pages 2 through the end. Only on the first page can I see the entire title and subtitle. On the remaining pages they get cut off where Column B would begin. Can I fix this? Hi Select only the rows to repeat at the top, and see if that solves your problem -- j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa "unibaby" wrote: > ...

sorting text in 2 columns by likeness
I have 2 columns of text with number values associated with them. Amy 21 Amanda 12 Bill 12 Amy 18 Chris 32 Bill 23 Kathy 8 Chris 12 Kim 15 Curtis 32 Todd 23 Katrhy 21 Todd 5 I need to be able to sort these like this Amanda 12 Amy 21 Amy 18 Bill 12 Bill 23 Chris 32 Chris ...

heading #2
Hi, How to use a certain row to be as a header on each page when printing? thanks Assuming pre-XL2007: File | page Setup | open the Sheet Tab | specify which rows (and/or columns) are to be printed on each page. You CANNOT do this from PrintPreview best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Khalil handal" <khhandal@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OqHuYqJQIHA.5976@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > How to use a certain row to be as a header on each page when printing? > thanks > > ...