Column spacing

Is there any way I can control the spacing between the
columns in the layout guides (chosen from the Arrange
menu)?  I want to set 0.7 cm column spacing for a text
frame split into 3 columns and see the guides for this
setting so that I can then use individual text frames on a
second page.

I know I can set the column spacing in the text frame
formatting option but this is not reflected in the layout
guides. Please can anyone help?

I am using Publisher 2000. I have this work around - I
make my own ruler. Make pull a rectangle, looking at
the "size" indication in the lower right corner ---( you
can see when you are at .7 ) I "arrange" it to move to the
center of the page. Then I draw a line and "arrange" it to
move to the center. Group those two items.

Now, set up your three columns, using layout guides. Turn
on "snap to guides" - move your home-made ruler so that
the line snaps onto the middle pink layout line for your
column. Now turn on "snap to objects" and pull a couple of
ruler guides to snap to the sides of your rectangle.

Repeat for your other column.

(It is faster to do it than to read about it!)

(Make sure you remove your measuring tool when you have
your guides set-up.)

M.

0
patty_wl (16)
7/6/2003 4:23:31 PM
I don't know I fully understand what you are trying to say.
You can change the Layout Guide spacing manually.  Go Ctrl+M to go to the
Background, then hold down the SHIFT key and right click and you can
manually arrange the layout guides till your hearts content.

Hi, M S -

Sometimes you want to see the spacing, not just know that
it is there (you want to see the standoffs of the text for
instance.) It can be easier to just make a little
measuring tool for quick consistency and use it in
conjunction with ruler guides and layout guides. No
counting, no moving the zero ruler point, no fighting odd
measurements (like trying to divide .7 in half)---just
make a little tool that you can snap your ruler guides to.

M.

0
patty_wl (16)

Vlookup with variable column reference
Help! I am trying to link two workbooks with a vlookup that searches for the last populated columns' entry in a range (see example below). 27/03 28/03 29/03 30/03 31/03 Data 6 4 Is there a way of doing this in a function? In a macro I would use the Range().End(xltoleft) code but I cannot figure out how to do something similar in a worksheet function. I basically want the lookup column to start at day 31 and make its way backwards until it finds a value. Another issue is that the seemingly blank cells contain formula - ie. not empty. Any ideas? Thanks!! Jen 1 ...

variable column names in a report
i have an application where the user can enter self selected column names which then in turn are added to a table... application works fine. however, when it comes to reporting, how do i go about adding those self entered columns in a report? any help would be appreciated Do you actually need this in a report or can the results be pushed to Excel for printing? -- Duane Hookom MS Access MVP Help me support UCP http://www.access.hookom.net/UCP/Default.htm "k2sarah" <k2sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C56B6FD1-2F5B-45D5-8760-A61E3CA41495@microsoft.c...

Hide Cell Content if no data in previous columns
I've made this work many years ago but now can't remember how. I have a job invoice to where the rate is 40.00/hour. This 40.00 is used in calculation to determine the total amount of pay owed. (20 hours worked * 40.00/hour). The boss requires that the hourly rate be shown for each job on the invoice, so that means it is in a column to where the amount is repeated all the way down. All I want is for the contents of that particular column NOT to show (show as blank), if no job has been entered. In other words, if there is no data entered on that particular row, hide the cont...

Copy one Column Across One Row
Hey guys, I would like to take one column of data and copy it across one row., so, I want the data to go left to right across the spreadsheet instead of top to bottom. If you have a suggestion to solve this, macro or whatever, could you please email it to me at: krea@dslextreme.com thanks, kevin rea Kevin If the column contains no more than 255 rows of data(256 if you are pasting below row 256) you can copy it and select B1 and Paste Special>Transpose>OK>Esc. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:23:46 -0700, <krea@dslextreme.com> wrote: >Hey guys, > &g...

Totals in Stacked Column?
I can't display the totals in a stacked column chart. I'm trying to show the total amounts for each column but the data labels only apply to each series. Never mind - Andy Pope's website had the answer. "EllenM" wrote: > I can't display the totals in a stacked column chart. I'm trying to show the > total amounts for each column but the data labels only apply to each series. ...

Creating Labels, Missing Column
I'm trying to create address labels. In my file I have the columns for "Street Address", "City", "State", "Zip Code" and "Country". The street address does not show up in the window to select what info I want on the label. Anyone know how to fix this??? Hi In your table you "may" have IDfield, 1stName, 2ndName, Street Address, City, State, Zip Code and Country. Create a query based on the table. Bring all the fields in the query and create a calculted culumn with something like Capital: Left([1stName],1) Create a new re...

How to update a portion of rows and columns between two files
I have a Master file with 20 columns of data for each of approximately 700 rows. Each month, I receive an update file that I need to use to update 10 columns of data for 3/4 of the rows in my Master file. There is a unique identifier in each file. Not all rows in the update file will be copied into the Master file and not all rows in the Master file will have updates. What is the best way to do this? I am familiar with VLookup. Shall I write aVLookup for each of the 10 columns in each row that need to be replaced so that I can grab the cell from the new file? Or, is there an easier way? ...

Clustered column graph with mixed data in 2nd column
I'm trying to create a clustered column graph with mixed data in the 2nd column and I cannot find a way to do it. Any suggestions? What's "mixed data"? Do you mean you want to build a stacked column for the second column in the cluster? If so, look here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "drhatt" <drhatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:648BC5CE-4DE9-433C-A824-325B6995D...

Columns on wrong side
When I open a book in excel, why is column A in Excel on the right side of the sheets, meaning it looks like this: P-O-N-M-L-K-J-I-H-G-F-E-D-C-B-A How do I change it to look the normal way from left to right when I open a new book in excel? Hi Seems you have set Excel to read from Right to Left - as is done in Arabic language. To set it right Go to menu Tools->Options Choose the International Tab In Right-to-Left Default direction choose Left-to-Right The order of column will be A-B ... Regards Sukhjeet "Drew" wrote: > When I open a book in excel, why is column A in Exce...

Checkbox column #2
Hi, How do I create a checkbox column to contain boolean values ? Regards Bo "Bo Rasmussen" <krogenlund@hotmail.com> wrote in news:OtsOMgl6DHA.3648 @TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl: > How do I create a checkbox column to contain boolean values ? > Excel doesn't support this directly. To get a checkbox you need to use VBA Forms or OLE controls, create a bunch of checkboxes, then link them to the cells. Check out View/Toolbars/Forms and View/Toolbars/Control Toolbox. Could you describe in more detail what you're looking for? -- My email address has an extra @ (s...

Wrapping text in column
In Excell 2007, how do you set a column to wrap text? I tried it and even though it seems to allow me to do it when I select column and check wrap text from Format Cells, it doesn't work. It only works when I select one cell and select wrap text. This is a bit irritating as I have many cells in a column to do this to. Thanks, Tom I find that this happens when I paste from Word. If I have the fields set as Vertical/Top and Wrap Text - then I paste any data from Word, it goes to Vertical/Bottom and NOT wrap text. If I paste data from my Textpad program that spans multiple line...

How do I make multi column stacked graphs in Excel
-- Ed Hi, See the links on Jon's page for Cluster Stacked charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy Ed B wrote: ...

Subtotaling on column with IF statement results
I created a spreadsheet with one column having an IF statement - it calculates how much we should re-order per store based on what was sold. I asked it to subtotal for each store - the formula appears in the cell, but it does not calculate the subtotal. I tried saving the column as the values, but it still does not subtotal. When I typed in the numbers, it DID subtotal. What do I need to do so it will subtotal? Thanks for your help. -- STK By any chance are you importing the data from another application? Check out your numbers: does the cell contain an apostrophe and then the numb...

Charting with irregularly spaced x-axis
Hi Trying to make a chart where the x axis is number-of-days from a start-date, and y axis is a value measured on the particular date. For example, the columns may be: Date Days from Start Measurement 02/12/09 1 120 06/12/09 5 134 09/12/09 8 118 18/12/09 17 109 etc. I want a line chart showing the measurement vs days which I can do - BUT... I would like the x axis (days from start) to be spaced according to the number of days, which as you can see from the above are not evenly spaced. In other words, if there have been several days between measurements, I want a longer gap on t...

Lines Between Columns
Publisher 2003 I have a newsletter page that is formatted to be double column. I want to place a 0.5 point line between the columns. Right clicking within the double columns then clicking on format text box>colors and lines then clicking the box in preview that is for the center line only nothing happens to the menu on the left. The "dashed", "style" and "weight " boxes are grayed out. Out of the six boxes shown there, the only two that activate the above quoted boxes are the two on the right of the bottom row (frame and frame with line down the middle). I ...

stop returning column headings from DB query
I put together a query to go against Oracle that returns a block of data to the spreadsheet. Is there an option somewhere to have the "Return Data to Excel" do so without also returning the column headings? I want the data only. thanks - Russ There are 2 places that you can change that setting..... 1)When you return data from MS Query the dialog where you select the location for the data has a Properties button. Click that button UNcheck: Include Field Names.......click [OK] Continue selecting the query destination OR 2)After the data has been pulled from Oracle Right-click...

Incrementing/decrementing column characters using only worksheet functions?
How can I increment and decrement column characters/letters using worksheet functions? I have a list of 5 characters corresponding to columns. The first character might be A, for column 1. How can I get the second character in the list to automatically configure itself to be B, the third C, the fourth D and the fifth E? That is, I want to set this up so that the second character is linked to the first, the third to the second and so on. That way if I change the first character from A to D then the second character in the list will automatically become E, the third will change to F, the f...

How can I remove blank spaces from fields
Hi, I have a column of fields with some duplications. I want to remove those duplications but all of the duplicates have a space at the end of them so are not recognised as being true duplicates. My question is, how do I remove the spaces from my data? e.g. so that the two fields below both read nozzaworld nozzaworld nozza world Many thanks -- nozzaworld Hi, I assume your information is in column A, then in another column enter =trim(A1) Overwrite column A with new column copying as value "nozzaworld" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a column o...

Locking rows (not columns)?
Hi I download and store my bank statements in an Excel spreadsheet. This is maintained in conventional 'bank statement' format; ie columns for date, payee, amount, account balance, with one statement entry per row in chronological order. I find it very useful to be able manipulate the spreadsheet eg by sorting alphabetically by payee, so I can easily see all payments made to a particular company grouped together. However, it's very easy to use the 'sort' function incorrectly, so that the date/payee/amount columns become completely dissociated from each other, and if some...

How can I unistall "opitional" updates to free up disc space
What are the right steps. thanks -- Kristen Rios Add | Remove programs. Make sure show updates is checked. "PPatty89" <Firefightersrule89@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:171E6351-24FD-4929-9FB9-32EF1A2ECED9@microsoft.com... : What are the right steps. : thanks : -- : Kristen Rios ...

Unhide Columns A and B.
I've somehow hidden columns A and B. I followed the directions in the help section but it did not work. How can I unhide them? try putting cursor on cells (on top of the row numbers)>format>column>unhide -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5D8ADAD-977F-43D0-AB82-B0BA7D6F0FC7@microsoft.com... > I've somehow hidden columns A and B. I followed the directions in the help > section but it did not work. How can I unhide them? Thanks for the quick reply, but its still not worki...

Eliminate unused columns
I have a table of columns of data per week, which I convert to a table of columns of data per month. This leaves 3 or 4 blank columns between the months. Is there a simple way to consolidate the month columns into a contiguous region, eliminating the unused columns between the month columns? Or... is there a smarter way to do the conversion than sum across an fill down? One approach is to use a macro: if your empty columns are completely empty you could use this macro. Hit Alt-F11, Click Insert/Module (check the project window to make sure your workbook is the active project before...

Can I put a secondary axis on a 3-D column chart in MS Excel?
Can I put a secondary axis on a 3-D column chart in MS Excel? If so, How? I want to over lay a line on top of a 6x12 row set of 3-D columns. I don't know about a secondary axis, because I avoid 3D charts. You cannot make a combination 3D chart, though, so your plan of a line with the columns will not be possible. Use a clustered 2D column chart, and add a line or XY series: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions - http://PeltierTech.com/ 2006 Excel User Conference, 19...

titling across columns
I want to format my title paragraph to cross the columns in the text box. I cannot find how to do this. Publisher 2007. Any ideas? Many thanks, David A separate text box? A Design Gallery object such as a Masthead? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Solomod" <Solomod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90994A12-0A68-4DA6-BED2-23C27806625E@microsoft.com... >I want to format my title paragraph to cross the columns in the text box. I > cannot find how to do this. Publisher 2007. > > Any ideas? > > Many thanks, >...

finding last non empty cell in a column
I am trying to find the last used cell in a column and then select tha entire range. The activecell here is "B1". What is happening is th column I am working in has a blank cells within the column so when thi code runs it the selected range is from B1 down to the first blank cell I need it to go all the way to the last used cell in the column. Any suggestions? Range(ActiveCell, ActiveCell.End(xlDown)).Select Thanks, Crai -- cparson ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cparsons's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinf...