Column spacing problem

Every so often I have a  problem with the location of text in adjacent
columns. I'm currenly using Pub 2003 but I've had the same issue show up in
2000 (or maybe it was 2002). As the text flows from one column to the next,
the text does not start at the top of the column. I've checked the "Format
Text Box" dialog box and it's set for Top and the dimensions are the same as
the next article and that text is fine.

Any suggestions where to start?

-----
JoAnn

Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world - the clock and the cat.
                  --Emile-August Chartier

0
jl_amerson (3088)

Unless the text/font size is different, there should be no reason for it
being different.

There are no bugs of this nature and never have been in any version of
Publisher.

donotknock (1941)
1/6/2004 4:12:18 AM
Could be by coincidence you are starting a new paragraph, i.e., a return and that
empty line is at the beginning of the next column.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/
"JL Amerson" <JL_Amerson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Every so often I have a  problem with the location of text in adjacent
> columns. I'm currenly using Pub 2003 but I've had the same issue show up in
> 2000 (or maybe it was 2002). As the text flows from one column to the next,
> the text does not start at the top of the column. I've checked the "Format
> Text Box" dialog box and it's set for Top and the dimensions are the same as
> the next article and that text is fine.
>
> Any suggestions where to start?
>
> -----
> JoAnn
>
> Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world - the clock and the cat.
>                   --Emile-August Chartier

0
laserdog (1122)
1/6/2004 9:01:18 AM
Hi JL Amerson (JL_Amerson@hotmail.com),
in the Microsoft� newsgroups
you posted:

|| Every so often I have a  problem with the location of text in
|| adjacent columns. I'm currenly using Pub 2003 but I've had the same
|| issue show up in 2000 (or maybe it was 2002). As the text flows from
|| one column to the next, the text does not start at the top of the
|| column. I've checked the "Format Text Box" dialog box and it's set
|| for Top and the dimensions are the same as the next article and that
|| text is fine.
|| Any suggestions where to start?

Can you email me or post a sample publication that exhibits this issue?

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Office Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
publisher (1244)
1/6/2004 3:17:29 PM
Same font, same spacing. Info is copied to the clipboard and then pasted
over highlighted text in Pub.

"���MS�Publisher���" <donotknock@nobodyhome.com> wrote in message
> Unless the text/font size is different, there should be no reason for it
> being different.
>
> There are no bugs of this nature and never have been in any version of
> Publisher.

jl_amerson (3088)
1/6/2004 5:30:11 PM
Hi JL Amerson (JL_Amerson@hotmail.com),
in the Microsoft� newsgroups
you posted:

|| Every so often I have a  problem with the location of text in
|| adjacent columns. I'm currenly using Pub 2003 but I've had the same
|| issue show up in 2000 (or maybe it was 2002). As the text flows from
|| one column to the next, the text does not start at the top of the
|| column. I've checked the "Format Text Box" dialog box and it's set
|| for Top and the dimensions are the same as the next article and that
|| text is fine.
|| Any suggestions where to start?

Publisher 2003 addresses this issue by adding the new Baseline Guides. To
have your text adjust properly to the baseline guides, go to Format >
Paragraph > and tick the Baseline Guide feature to on.

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Office Publisher MVP
Official Publisher MVP Site:
http://www.kvalheim.org

confers no rights.

0
publisher (1244)

Publisher2002 layout problem
I am making a 4 page flyer.. 11X17 foled in half to make a standard 8.5X11. How do I get page 2 and 3 to be a poster with no margins?? i have tried to reset the guides but when I print the margin is still there?? This is the limitation of your printer. Look at your printer's documentation. Unless your printer supports full bleed, you will have a margin. Your largest margin will be on the right in landscape mode. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "cumberlandfamily" <cumberlandfamily@discussions.micro...

Sorting problem #5
I've got 3 columns I want to sort based on the middle column, something I've done many times. When I try to sort on this particular spreadsheet, I get an error message I've never seen: "This operation requires merged cells to be identically sized." I don't have any merged cells. I tried copying these columns to a new spreadsheet, got same error message. I'm using an iMac, os X, and Excel (for the Mac) 2004, v. 11.3.7. Thoughts, anyone? Ed Highlight all the cells in the sort range and Format | Cells | Alignment tab and ensure that Merge Cells is completely em...

Windows XP MARK or SPACE parity
Hello, I've been developing a class in order to access the serial port in Win2000, to communicate with a device network. I am using sticky parity to indicate the peripherals which byte is an address and which is a data byte, so I config parity as MARK or SPACE. It works fine in Win2000, but when I try it in XP it doesn't work any more. I've watched the serial signals with an oscilloscope, and I could see that it didn't do the MARK parity at all. Is there anything I should consider when I change from Win2000 XP? Note: I'm working with dcb's, and SetCommState()...

Text Columns
I have to columns, alphabetically sorted, one with 1oo names, one with 8o-9o names, which are identical to the ones in the column with 1oo. Is there a way (formula or macro) that places the identical text (names) next to each other in the same row, leaving blank the cell where there is no match? The columns should then look like this: Miller Miller Smith Kerry Kerry Ferguson Ferguson Peters Black Black etc. Thank you Say 1st column is column A, 2nd column is column B. Enter in C1: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,B:B,1,0)),"",VLO...

Matching items in 2 columns
Hi all, This is probably elementary for this group, but here's my question. Suppose I have 2 columns of items, with unequal numbers of items; fewer in the second colum; and the everything in the second column is in the first column. Something like this: A A B C C F D H E K F L G H I J K L Is there an easy way I can get identical items into the same ROWs, so that I can match them? I can do it manually, of course, but I sometimes have hundreds or even thousands of items. I know how to sort, but that doesn'...

Simple problem importing a file using a macro
Hello Everyone, I am very new to Excel programming, but I have written a few simple macros before. However, I have never really worked with loading information out of a file and then saving it back. I have a series of text files which contain data that I want to import. I ran the macro recorder to import one file that I wanted where I wanted it, but I am now trying to automate the process. All the files end in .PRN. I write the name of the file that I want in the "A" row of an Excel spreadsheet, minus the ".PRN". The files are always on a floppy disk in the &...

Attachment problem #5
Hi, I'm trying to send e- business attachment from Outlook 2000 to Outlook Express, they get the email but not the attachment. They still can get any other attachment though. Any ideas why? Thanks "Shammu" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:298e01c3e108$931a53f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > I'm trying to send e- business attachment from Outlook > 2000 to Outlook Express, they get the email but not the > attachment. They still can get any other attachment > though. Any ideas why? > > Thanks It's highly likely you are...

OPOS Problem to read codes Magellan 8100
Hi I'm trying to configure a Scanner Magellan 8100 on IBM SurePOS 700. I have install OPOS Version 1.96 and Tested the scanner from OPOS and this have comunication with the IBM SurePOS 700 I did correctly the configuration for the barcodes I download for the Magellan websites www.datalogic.com the manual to configure this scanner to read theses codes UPC/EAN and Codes 39 and 128. But when I finished setting up. This not read the Codes 38 and 128. this just read the UPC/EAN. every time when I restart the POS SurePOS 700 it's looks like the OPOS is resetting the setting of the scanner ...

How to easily collapse columns?
Hi, Is there a way to hide and unhide columns easily without using the menus. I have a large spreadsheet and I would like to navigate it more easily. Any help appreciated Thanks G you might adapt this to your needs. You need to create a button and name it "toggleit" Sub HideG_UnhideG() If Columns("c:j").EntireColumn.Hidden = True Then Columns("c:j").EntireColumn.Hidden = False ActiveSheet.Shapes("toggleit").TextFrame.Characters.Text = _ "HIDE" Else Columns("c:j").EntireColumn.Hidden = True ActiveSheet.Sh...

MS EXCEL does not let me insert a column
MS Excel does not let me insert a column. It displays an error message thus- To prevent possible loss of date, MS Excel cannot shift non-blank cells off the work sheet. What should I do to insert a new comumn? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://ww...

Referencing every nth cell in a new column
I have data in E4, E12, E20... that I want to copy into a new column without the extra rows in between. How can I do this? So far I've tried entering =E4 in the first cell, then =E12, and then using the fill handle. Didn't work :( I'm not very good at excel so please be specific if you talk about coding or heavy duty formulas. > I have data in E4, E12, E20... that I want to copy into a new column without > the extra rows in between. Here's one way. If the new column starts at row 1, put this at the top and copy downward: =OFFSET($E$4,(ROW()-1)*8,0...

Publisher 2007 Large Blank Spaces in E-mail
I have created a long e-mail that needs to be sent out. On the screen the spacing looks fine but when I go to the e-mail previewer the spacing is off between the text box and the autoshape at the very bottom of the e-mail (I am using Outlook 2007). If I shorten the document the spacing issues go away. Is their a workaround for this spacing problem? I have to send this out as an e-mail and not as an attachement as soon as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! How to save your publication as a Web Archive in Publisher and share it in e-mail http://support.microsoft.com/k...

Excel crashes with protected worksheet and hidden columns?
I have setup a worksheet with a number of cells containing formulas (concat, vlookup, etc). I have locked these cells and protected the worksheet (no password). When I am in the last (unlocked) cell of a row and hit "tab", excel completely freezes and i have to terminate it. i would expect Excel to move me to the next row at the first 'unlocked' cell. btw, the next column after the last 'unlocked' column is hidden. don't know if that makes a difference. Has anyone seen this before, and have any suggestions on resolution? cheers. ...

Problems copying from PDF file
When I copy an object from an Adobe Reader file and paste it into a Publisher file, I have two problems: object loses its sharpness and when I print it out, it prints out in a solid black block. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you. What happens if you copy and paste into an editing program and save and then insert into Publisher. What happens if you select "paste special" and designate a specific format? What is the resolution of the picture? Where did you get the PDF? Do you have an URL? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...

problem with SetTimer()
Hi All, I've a problem with SetTimer function. I've wrote this code: class myClass { void CALLBACK TimerProc( HWND hWnd, // handle of CWnd that called SetTimer UINT nMsg, // WM_TIMER UINT nIDEvent // timer identification DWORD dwTime // system time ){ //some code.... } myClass() { SetTimer (1, 1000, (TIMERPROC) TimerProc); } } the compiler returns a conversion error for 3th parameter of SetTimer (TimerProc) help me, what's wrong ?? System info: - Visual Studio 7.0 - Windows XP SP2 Make TimerProc() static. class myClass { static...

bcc problem
I have a Mac (snow leapord) with entourage 08 and when I change the "from" address, I can't send to anybody using bcc. If I leave the from address as me, and put in a destination address via bcc, it works fine. If I put an email address in the To: field and one in the bcc field, and change the from address- the email goes through to the To recipient, but not the bcc recipient. If I open the sent message in the sent folder, I can see the bcc address. Summary: I can't send any email bcc if the "from" address is changed. Anyone seen this? Goes throu...

OWA
When my OWA clients go to reply to an email....the new reply window opens but can not type a reply..instead there is a box with a red "X" like there is a picture missing. Basic login works just fine....seems this problem is only with the Premium client Any ideas? THanks Steve [Exchange 2003/Win 2000] Check the Windows XP installation if the is in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Triedit\ a triedit.dll and if they registred. After you do this i think your problem is solved. br Michael Formann "Steve-O" wrote: > When my OWA clients go to reply ...

Problem with Acresso Software Manager Agent
Hello Everyone, I m new to this forum but found it very interesting. I am facing a problem with my HP pavilion laptop.....the prob is whenever I start my lappy a window pops up with the message that Acresso Software Manager Agent has stopped working.. I am unable to find solution for the problem can anyone help me.. to find out the agent updates or download file or any recommended solutions?????????????? Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused::confused::confused: -- ji_anjali_ji Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com "ji_anjali_ji...

Legend Line Spacing #2
Hi, I have a chart where the legend is double spaced. How do I change it to single spacing? Format Legend only has options for patterns, font and placement. I see nothing for line spacing. -- Thanks for your help. Karen53 On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Karen53 <Karen53@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I have a chart where the legend is double spaced. How do I change it to >single spacing? Format Legend only has options for patterns, font and >placement. I see nothing for line spacing. It sounds as though at least one legend label is wrapping...

problem using CxImage
I'm trying to use the CxImage class (you can find it on CodeProject.com). Attempting to follow the example in the docs for using CxImage to draw to a picture, I've added the include, the dependencies, the pointer to the .lib in the LINK tab of the settings. My code says CxImage image("pic.jpg", CXIMAGE_FORMAT_JPG); This compiles, but generates a link error - ImageCoordsDlg.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall CxImage::CxImage(char const *,unsigned long)" (??0CxImage@@QAE@PBDK@Z) I can call almost any other CxImage method, ...

Exchange 2003 Mail Problem
I'm running exchange 2003 and am having trouble sending messages to several ISP's (aol, yahoo, earthlink etc). All other mail sends and receives fine. When looking at the queue it shows aol, yahoo etc. to be retrying but it never sends and eventually it returns the message to sender. Please help, Jan Steenberg Can you post the exact text from the NDR msg returned to sender? This may help. "Jan Steenberg" wrote: > I'm running exchange 2003 and am having trouble sending messages to several > ISP's (aol, yahoo, earthlink etc). All other mail sends and...

mscvr80.dll problem with MS Money 2007 Deluxe
I'm having an issue with my home page and a mscvr80.dll file. Just recently (it coincided with the August 17 networking issues, so I thought it had something to do with that, but now I'm not so sure). When I sign on and go to my MS Money home page, it will crash with a problem associated with the above file. I report it to Microsoft and when I close that box, it crashes the program. If I'm fast enough, after signing on, I go to anywhere else but the home page and the program will run fine - but if I do select, even then, to go to the home page, it will crash again. Everything e...

How does one lock in column headings?
How do I lock in the column headings so that they move up amd down with the text when scrolling up and down? What do you call it so that I can look it up in Excel textbooks? Say you want to freeze rows 1 and 2 to make them always visible. Select A1 (just to make sure it's visible) Then select A3 Window|Freeze Panes (and not surprizingly, it's called freezing panes.) And the headings actually stay put--and that's what makes it nice. Don J wrote: > > How do I lock in the column headings so that they move up amd down with the > text when scrolling up and down? W...

Problem with PowerPoint Slideshows
I have an iMac with Office 2004. On several occasions when someone has sent me a PowerPoint presentation, my computer freezes up when I try to view the presentation. When I save the presentation to my computer and try to view it as a slideshow, it also freezes up. Would welcome any assistance. Hello, You have mentioned someones sends you PPT presentation. Can you give us more information? Is it purely Mac presentation or some PC's one come into place: Are there any images in the presentation (which format they are)? Are there any inserted tables, chart form Excel and other object from...

Problem while transfering DOC , wav and image files...
hi i am working file transfer between two PC's. My application successfully transfer text files but when i transfer Word file, wave file or image file, it transfers it, but the contents of the recieved file are not properly behave (means word file size is correct but it is not open in MS Word, similarly wave file can't be played etc). My code is given below... //Server application that sends file void SendFile() { #define PORT 34000 /// Select any free port you wish AfxSocketInit(NULL); CSocket sockSrvr; sockSrvr.Create(PORT); // Creates our server socket sockSrvr.Listen()...