Change default "save picture as"

When I right click on an image and select "Save Picture as..." it always
defaults as a "*.gif" type file. Does anyone know how to set a default to
have it always select a "*.jpg" ?
Thanks! Tony
0
TonyS (16)

You could buy Publisher 2007 and the *save picture as* default is .png. We have
a programmer guru who would know. Maybe a macro?

Ask this on publisher.programming

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Tony S." <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I right click on an image and select "Save Picture as..." it always
> defaults as a "*.gif" type file. Does anyone know how to set a default to
> have it always select a "*.jpg" ?
> Thanks! Tony

0
mary-sauer (6480)
2/13/2008 3:20:41 PM
Mary Sauer wrote:
> You could buy Publisher 2007 and the *save picture as* default is .png. We have
> a programmer guru who would know. Maybe a macro?

Nope, a macro wouldn't do the trick.

Really, JPEG is a bad save format unless you're saving photographs.
Surprisingly few people know this.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org

Tony S.

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> Mary Sauer wrote:
> > You could buy Publisher 2007 and the *save picture as* default is .png. We have
> > a programmer guru who would know. Maybe a macro?
>
> Nope, a macro wouldn't do the trick.
>
> Really, JPEG is a bad save format unless you're saving photographs.
> Surprisingly few people know this.
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org

0
TonyS (16)
2/13/2008 4:51:09 PM
Which version of Publisher are you using?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Tony S." <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I right click on an image and select "Save Picture as..." it always
> defaults as a "*.gif" type file. Does anyone know how to set a default to
> have it always select a "*.jpg" ?
> Thanks! Tony

0
jl_paules (2769)
2/13/2008 5:40:54 PM
I am using 2003.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> Which version of Publisher are you using?
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Tony S." <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I right click on an image and select "Save Picture as..." it always
> > defaults as a "*.gif" type file. Does anyone know how to set a default to
> > have it always select a "*.jpg" ?
> > Thanks! Tony

0
TonyS (16)
2/13/2008 5:46:04 PM
Tony S. wrote:
> Thank you both Mary and Ed for your input. However Publisher 2007 .png files
> are not an option and in order to achieve the output quality needed, I have
> to save gif's @ 300 dpi to match the quality of 150 dpi jpg's. Also I
> increase file size by almost 3 times.

For non-photographic output, 150dpi GIFs will normally be of better
quality than 150dpi JPEGs. I agree that GIFs are not normally a
preferred format, though. PNGs, TIFFs, (ZIPped) BMPs are normally my
order of preference.

Why are PNGs not an option?

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org
0
the_nerd (6342)
2/13/2008 7:48:40 PM
First, I have not found a way to change the default from a gif. It is an
annoyance. But if the picture is a linked picture, then you already have
access to it. If, as is more likely, the picture is embedded then it is far
preferable to click the Graphics Manager from the Tools menu rather than
right clicking the picture. Publisher gives a list of all the pictures in the
document including the picture format. Click the arrow next to a selected
picture gives the option of Save as Linked picture which defaults to the
format of the embedded picture-- bmp, png, jpg whatever. When you are done
saving pictures you probably won't want to save your Publisher document as
Save as Linked picture removes the picture from the document and substitutes
a link to it.

When trying something new in Publisher, I always work on a copy of my
Publisher document--that way I don't get into too much trouble.
--
Computing should be about insight, not numbers or flash.

0
eezzell (48)
2/13/2008 8:05:01 PM
I'm not being difficult but is it worth all of the hassle to change the
default setting? I can appreciate saving time, etc but it's not like you
have to spend 30-40 seconds to change the setting. Maybe it's just me - I
just accept some things to others don't. And vice versa, of course.  ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

>I am using 2003.
>
> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>
>> Which version of Publisher are you using?
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Tony S." <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I right click on an image and select "Save Picture as..." it
>> > always
>> > defaults as a "*.gif" type file. Does anyone know how to set a default
>> > have it always select a "*.jpg" ?
>> > Thanks! Tony

0
jl_paules (2769)
2/13/2008 8:22:24 PM
Hi JoAnn, I can certainly agree with you cursory analysis of the situation
and I appreciate your "not being difficult". But, when you consider my
situation of having over 35 people doing the same process with 50-100 images
daily, it is worth at least inquiry into the possibilities of a work around
to change the default setting. Wouldn't you agree?

You all have good individual input; however, none of the comments answered
my question or stayed on point. Thanks anyway.

Tony

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> I'm not being difficult but is it worth all of the hassle to change the
> default setting? I can appreciate saving time, etc but it's not like you
> have to spend 30-40 seconds to change the setting. Maybe it's just me - I
> just accept some things to others don't. And vice versa, of course.  ;-)
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Tony S." <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using 2003.
> >
> > "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
> >
> >> Which version of Publisher are you using?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> JoAnn Paules
> >> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
> >>

> >> "Tony S." <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
TonyS (16)
2/14/2008 3:09:01 PM
Hi Ed,
Let me ask you... can I set PNG to be the default file type instead of JPG?
Tony

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> Tony S. wrote:
> > Thank you both Mary and Ed for your input. However Publisher 2007 .png files
> > are not an option and in order to achieve the output quality needed, I have
> > to save gif's @ 300 dpi to match the quality of 150 dpi jpg's. Also I
> > increase file size by almost 3 times.
>
> For non-photographic output, 150dpi GIFs will normally be of better
> quality than 150dpi JPEGs. I agree that GIFs are not normally a
> preferred format, though. PNGs, TIFFs, (ZIPped) BMPs are normally my
> order of preference.
>
> Why are PNGs not an option?
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org

0
TonyS (16)
2/14/2008 3:13:02 PM
Tony S. wrote:
> Hi Ed,
> Let me ask you... can I set PNG to be the default file type instead of JPG?
> Tony

As far as I know, only by upgrading to Publisher 2007.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org
0
the_nerd (6342)
2/14/2008 3:37:12 PM
Thanks anyway Ed. Have a great day!
Tony

"Ed Bennett" wrote:

> Tony S. wrote:
> > Hi Ed,
> > Let me ask you... can I set PNG to be the default file type instead of JPG?
> > Tony
>
> As far as I know, only by upgrading to Publisher 2007.
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://ed.mvps.org

0
TonyS (16)
2/14/2008 3:46:00 PM
Tony, A workaround would be to go ahead and save as a gif and at the end of the
day batch convert them with an editing program such as the free
www.irfanview.com.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Hi JoAnn, I can certainly agree with you cursory analysis of the situation
> and I appreciate your "not being difficult". But, when you consider my
> situation of having over 35 people doing the same process with 50-100 images
> daily, it is worth at least inquiry into the possibilities of a work around
> to change the default setting. Wouldn't you agree?
>
> You all have good individual input; however, none of the comments answered
> my question or stayed on point. Thanks anyway.
>
> Tony
>

> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>
>> I'm not being difficult but is it worth all of the hassle to change the
>> default setting? I can appreciate saving time, etc but it's not like you
>> have to spend 30-40 seconds to change the setting. Maybe it's just me - I
>> just accept some things to others don't. And vice versa, of course.  ;-)
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Tony S." <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using 2003.

0
mary-sauer (6480)
2/14/2008 4:08:21 PM
Thanks Mary, I'll look into that.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Tony, A workaround would be to go ahead and save as a gif and at the end of the
> day batch convert them with an editing program such as the free
> www.irfanview.com.
>

> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "Tony S." <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi JoAnn, I can certainly agree with you cursory analysis of the situation
> > and I appreciate your "not being difficult". But, when you consider my
> > situation of having over 35 people doing the same process with 50-100 images
> > daily, it is worth at least inquiry into the possibilities of a work around
> > to change the default setting. Wouldn't you agree?
> >
> > You all have good individual input; however, none of the comments answered
> > my question or stayed on point. Thanks anyway.
> >
> > Tony
> >

> > "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not being difficult but is it worth all of the hassle to change the
> >> default setting? I can appreciate saving time, etc but it's not like you
> >> have to spend 30-40 seconds to change the setting. Maybe it's just me - I
> >> just accept some things to others don't. And vice versa, of course.  ;-)
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> JoAnn Paules
> >> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
> >>

> >> "Tony S." <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
TonyS (16)
2/14/2008 4:33:04 PM
In article <4528330F-8CE2-4C7C-8ED5-6E16A1AF5FD8@microsoft.com>,
=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBTLg==?= <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Tony, A workaround would be to go ahead and save as a gif and at the end
> of the
> > day batch convert them with an editing program such as the free
> > www.irfanview.com.

That might be difficult GIF is a bitmap format and PNG a vector format.

John

--
    _                     _________________________________________
   / \._._ |_  _     _  /'       Orpheus Internet Services

0
mijas (53)
2/15/2008 11:12:26 AM
No, you are mistaken. .png formats are bitmaps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PNG.html
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Mr John FO Evans" <mijas@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <4528330F-8CE2-4C7C-8ED5-6E16A1AF5FD8@microsoft.com>,
> =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBTLg==?= <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> > Tony, A workaround would be to go ahead and save as a gif and at the end
>> of the
>> > day batch convert them with an editing program such as the free
>> > www.irfanview.com.
>

> That might be difficult GIF is a bitmap format and PNG a vector format.
>
> John
>

> --
>    _                     _________________________________________
>   / \._._ |_  _     _  /'       Orpheus Internet Services
>   \_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_> /          'Internet for Everyone'
> _______ | ___________./       http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk

0
mary-sauer (6480)
2/15/2008 11:35:35 AM
No it's not... PNG a raster format as is JPEG, BMP, PCX, TIF, CT, NCT,
SCT, PSD, PSB, GIF, etc.

EPS is vector. SVG could be considered vector I guess... But PNG is
definitely a raster format.

Matt Beals
Consultant
Enfocus Certified Trainer
Markzware Recognized Trainer
(206) 201-2320 - Main
(720) 367-3869 - eFax
mailto:matt@mattbeals.com

Come visit me at:

http://www.automatetheworkflow.com
http://www.mattbeals.com
http://forums.mattbeals.com

Friends don't let friends write HTML email

Mr John FO Evans wrote:
> In article <4528330F-8CE2-4C7C-8ED5-6E16A1AF5FD8@microsoft.com>,
> =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBTLg==?= <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> Tony, A workaround would be to go ahead and save as a gif and at the end
>> of the
>>> day batch convert them with an editing program such as the free
>>> www.irfanview.com.
>

> That might be difficult GIF is a bitmap format and PNG a vector format.
>
> John

0
matt4238 (148)
2/16/2008 8:11:18 AM
Matt Beals wrote:
> SVG could be considered vector I guess...

Given that the V is for Vector, I don't see how you could consider it
anything else!

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org
0
the_nerd (6342)

How do I set "save picture as file" to save as a jpg by default?
Publisher defaults to .gif when saving pictures. I'd like to set it to save a "jpg" instead, so I don't have to change it every time I save a picture. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, Teresa ...

Can't Paste
I want to insert some pages from a book in a PowerPoint presentation. Because the contain graphics, tables, charts, and images, 'regular paste' does not work. Usually, I 'paste special' and paste grouped objects as an enhanced metafile and it works like a charm. However, my clipboard is giving me trouble this morning and I keep getting 'busy' messages which is a problem in itself... Anyway, I'm trying to use the handy 'save as picture' feature in Pub2003. I am trying to save a group of objects as a picture in Publisher 2003. I can save them as a JPEG...

Right click - save picture as
I got a new computer -- running xp -- installed my Publisher 2000 and have found that I am no longer capable of clipping graphics, logos, etc. using my right mouse button. It says it is saving it -- but only gives me two choices -- ART or Bitmap. When I try to view or insert -- no preview is available and Publisher is not able to convert. WHAT HAPPENED AND HOW DO I FIX IT? I used to be able to save these items as bitmaps, jpeg, etc. and pull them up without issue. HELP! Your cache is full, in IE, tools, Internet options, delete files. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/...

save picture as (gif)
Why can't I save my animated graphics (gifs) through Outlook 2003? How can I solve this problem? Because the are embedded. You can get them saved succesfully in a gif-format the following way; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/saveembeddedpictures.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "teesoneup" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:515CC080-124E-4C9E-BEBE-51A706F717D2@microsoft.com... > Why can't I save my anima...

Save Picture as with higher DPI
I have been using PPT 2007 for two years now creating images. I usually save these images as PNG, TIFF, or JPG but I now have someone asking me to create a format that will print in 300 DPI. I have changed my slide to 300 DPI changing the registry, but can I also change this for individual images within the PPT presentation? (I know that is not what PPT is meant for, but it has been working great for me so far) See if this helps: Improve PowerPoint's GIF, BMP, PNG, JPG export resolution http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00052.htm Lucy -- Lucy Thomson PowerPoint MVP MOS Ma...

When I right click on an image and select "Save Picture as..." it always defaults as a "*.gif" type file. Does anyone know how to set a default to have it always select a "*.jpg" ? Thanks! Tony You could buy Publisher 2007 and the *save picture as* default is .png. We have a programmer guru who would know. Maybe a macro? Ask this on publisher.programming -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Tony S." <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBD55927-8405-475D...