Cell borders - dashed lines, Publisher 2010

Hi,

In Publiser 2007 it was possible to have dashed or dotted lines as cell
borders. This was acheived by using a patern for the line colour, e.g. a
pattern of vertical lines would give a dotted horizontal cell border.

In Publisher 2010 the option to have a pattern for the line colour on a cell
border is no longer there.

Can anyone suggest a way to acheive dotted cell borders?

Microsoft - is there a reason this functionality was removed, can we have it
back please? Otherwise nice work, I'm hearing good feedback from the people
testing 2010.

Thanks,

Tim

You can manually create a line, right-click, all the options are available. You
can also create a custom BorderArt.

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Tim Boothby" <TimBoothby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In Publiser 2007 it was possible to have dashed or dotted lines as cell
> borders. This was acheived by using a patern for the line colour, e.g. a
> pattern of vertical lines would give a dotted horizontal cell border.
>
> In Publisher 2010 the option to have a pattern for the line colour on a cell
> border is no longer there.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to acheive dotted cell borders?
>
> Microsoft - is there a reason this functionality was removed, can we have it
> back please? Otherwise nice work, I'm hearing good feedback from the people
> testing 2010.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

0
Mary
5/25/2010 3:49:44 PM
Hi Mary,

Thanks for the reply - sorry but I just can't figure it out. Perhaps if I
explain a little better what I'm after.

I'm designing questionnaire forms and I want an invisible table to serve as
a layout device to get other objects alligned in columns and rows. I'd like
the bottom borders of all the cells to be a dotted line, to give horizontal
rules accross the page.

The only right click option which seems to give relevent options is Format
Table, and in here you can specify the cell border colour, thickness etc -
but not option for a dashed line.

Border Art seems to only put a border round the entire table - not what I'm
after.

I know there are other ways of achieving what I want to do, using cell
backgrounds or manually drawing lines. But we have hundreds of forms designed
in Publisher 2007 which did allow dotted cell borders and we don't want to
have to change them all. So at the moment this issue is blocking me from
generally upgrading to 2010.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> You can manually create a line, right-click, all the options are available. You
> can also create a custom BorderArt.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>

> "Tim Boothby" <TimBoothby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > In Publiser 2007 it was possible to have dashed or dotted lines as cell
> > borders. This was acheived by using a patern for the line colour, e.g. a
> > pattern of vertical lines would give a dotted horizontal cell border.
> >
> > In Publisher 2010 the option to have a pattern for the line colour on a cell
> > border is no longer there.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a way to acheive dotted cell borders?
> >
> > Microsoft - is there a reason this functionality was removed, can we have it
> > back please? Otherwise nice work, I'm hearing good feedback from the people
> > testing 2010.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tim
>

> .

There isn't any alternative that I can find. The pattern option is not in 2010.
You can save a table in 2007 in the Content Library, it will be in the  Page
Parts in 2010.  If the tables don't make into the Page Parts they still will be
in the Content Library; a hidden file in the Local folder.

--

> Hi Mary,
>
> Thanks for the reply - sorry but I just can't figure it out. Perhaps if I
> explain a little better what I'm after.
>
> I'm designing questionnaire forms and I want an invisible table to serve as
> a layout device to get other objects alligned in columns and rows. I'd like
> the bottom borders of all the cells to be a dotted line, to give horizontal
> rules accross the page.
>
> The only right click option which seems to give relevent options is Format
> Table, and in here you can specify the cell border colour, thickness etc -
> but not option for a dashed line.
>
> Border Art seems to only put a border round the entire table - not what I'm
> after.
>
> I know there are other ways of achieving what I want to do, using cell
> backgrounds or manually drawing lines. But we have hundreds of forms designed
> in Publisher 2007 which did allow dotted cell borders and we don't want to
> have to change them all. So at the moment this issue is blocking me from
> generally upgrading to 2010.
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> You can manually create a line, right-click, all the options are available.
>> You
>> can also create a custom BorderArt.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>

>> "Tim Boothby" <TimBoothby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > In Publiser 2007 it was possible to have dashed or dotted lines as cell
>> > borders. This was acheived by using a patern for the line colour, e.g. a
>> > pattern of vertical lines would give a dotted horizontal cell border.
>> >
>> > In Publisher 2010 the option to have a pattern for the line colour on a
>> > cell
>> > border is no longer there.
>> >
>> > Can anyone suggest a way to acheive dotted cell borders?
>> >
>> > Microsoft - is there a reason this functionality was removed, can we have
>> > it
>> > back please? Otherwise nice work, I'm hearing good feedback from the people
>> > testing 2010.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Tim
>>

>> .

0
Mary
5/27/2010 10:43:09 PM
Ok thanks Mary, looks like we'll have to manage with a combination of both
2007 & 2010. Is there any channel for feeding back any feature requests to
Microsoft or is this newsgroup the best place?

Thanks,

Tim

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> There isn't any alternative that I can find. The pattern option is not in 2010.
> You can save a table in 2007 in the Content Library, it will be in the  Page
> Parts in 2010.  If the tables don't make into the Page Parts they still will be
> in the Content Library; a hidden file in the Local folder.
>

> --
> Mary Sauer
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>

> "Tim Boothby" <TimBoothby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Mary,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply - sorry but I just can't figure it out. Perhaps if I
> > explain a little better what I'm after.
> >
> > I'm designing questionnaire forms and I want an invisible table to serve as
> > a layout device to get other objects alligned in columns and rows. I'd like
> > the bottom borders of all the cells to be a dotted line, to give horizontal
> > rules accross the page.
> >
> > The only right click option which seems to give relevent options is Format
> > Table, and in here you can specify the cell border colour, thickness etc -
> > but not option for a dashed line.
> >
> > Border Art seems to only put a border round the entire table - not what I'm
> > after.
> >
> > I know there are other ways of achieving what I want to do, using cell
> > backgrounds or manually drawing lines. But we have hundreds of forms designed
> > in Publisher 2007 which did allow dotted cell borders and we don't want to
> > have to change them all. So at the moment this issue is blocking me from
> > generally upgrading to 2010.
> >
> > Any other thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> You can manually create a line, right-click, all the options are available.
> >> You
> >> can also create a custom BorderArt.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mary Sauer
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >>

> >> "Tim Boothby" <TimBoothby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

There is the Connect web site:
https://connect.microsoft.com/directory/

I'm surprised to find MSNews still in business this morning.

Visit the forums.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addpubs/threads?filter=alltypes

--

> Ok thanks Mary, looks like we'll have to manage with a combination of both
> 2007 & 2010. Is there any channel for feeding back any feature requests to
> Microsoft or is this newsgroup the best place?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> There isn't any alternative that I can find. The pattern option is not in
>> 2010.
>> You can save a table in 2007 in the Content Library, it will be in the  Page
>> Parts in 2010.  If the tables don't make into the Page Parts they still will
>> be
>> in the Content Library; a hidden file in the Local folder.
>>

>> --
>> Mary Sauer
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>

>> "Tim Boothby" <TimBoothby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Mary,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the reply - sorry but I just can't figure it out. Perhaps if I
>> > explain a little better what I'm after.
>> >
>> > I'm designing questionnaire forms and I want an invisible table to serve as
>> > a layout device to get other objects alligned in columns and rows. I'd like
>> > the bottom borders of all the cells to be a dotted line, to give horizontal
>> > rules accross the page.
>> >
>> > The only right click option which seems to give relevent options is Format
>> > Table, and in here you can specify the cell border colour, thickness etc -
>> > but not option for a dashed line.
>> >
>> > Border Art seems to only put a border round the entire table - not what I'm
>> > after.
>> >
>> > I know there are other ways of achieving what I want to do, using cell
>> > backgrounds or manually drawing lines. But we have hundreds of forms
>> > designed
>> > in Publisher 2007 which did allow dotted cell borders and we don't want to
>> > have to change them all. So at the moment this issue is blocking me from
>> > generally upgrading to 2010.
>> >
>> > Any other thoughts?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Tim

>> .

0
Mary

publishing
I'm trying to REMOVE the publishing funtion of a "previously published" excel document. I can't see where to remove the function. How do you remove the option. I've tried resaving the document and looked at all options I see. Robert From the Excel Help Modify and republish data on a Web page that was previously saved by Excel When you publish or save your Microsoft Excel data as a Web page, Excel creates an HTML version of the file (with the extension .htm). If you want to update that data on the Web page, and you saved or published a worksheet or items on a wor...

Dr Wilbers Montgomery 05/21/2010
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CAFB6E.DEB1D090 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'm trying different types of places to send thru. If this doesn't come thru I will call KTIS tomorrow and have them help me. I have been having a problem with them too... Sorry it's taking so long. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CAFB6E.DEB1D090 Content-Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document; name="may21201...

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

shortcut with command line switch probs
Hello, I have a shortcut set up which has the target declared as: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" / "\\path_to_file\myfile.xlt" This works fine on my PC. Excel 2000 running on Windows XP. Unfortunately it doesnt work on someone elses PC, who asked for m help! They have the same software set up, and access to the same folde path. When they try to run the shortcut, a window opens and closes almos immediately. Help?! : -- soloto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- solotoo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/m...

Single click selects multiple cells

Publisher 2007 frequently crashes

Referencing cells across sheets

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

Merge code issues with Publisher 2003

publisher #18
if you have a small business with several computers that are on a network, do you have to purchase a seperate copy of ms office for each computer in the same office? We need to know this because we need it on all the computers but can not afford to pay 2000.00 for software. thanks! Publisher doesn't like being used on a network. Have you tried contacting MS and asking about multi-seat licenses? Also, didn't you say you belong to an NPO? If so, you could ask if MS has a special rate. The worst that they will say is no. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "April"...

ACC: How to Display Line Numbers on Subform Records
I found this article on MS' website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q120913/ but ran into problems when I pasted the code and tried to compile it. It gives a Compile Error: Method or data member not found when it reached the line below: RS.FindFirst "[" & KeyName & "] = " & KeyValue and it highlights "FindFirst". I have a sub-form (child) of a parent form's and I have a variable in the child that the user currently manually increments from 1,2,3 and so forth. Can this not be done w/o the user's intervention? Hi, ...