Can't open XP file in Windows

We have XP machines and Windows machines. A Publisher file
was created in XP and I am unable to open it in Windows.
The error message is "You cannot open a file from a
different version". I would appreciate any assistance on
this issue.
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi gwen (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com),
in the Microsoft� newsgroups
you posted:

|| We have XP machines and Windows machines. A Publisher file
|| was created in XP and I am unable to open it in Windows.
|| The error message is "You cannot open a file from a
|| different version". I would appreciate any assistance on
|| this issue.

You have a version mess up there in your post! Let's start over.

Which version of Windows are you running? Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows
98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows NT 4, Windows XP?

Which version of Publisher are you running? Publisher 1.0, Publisher 2.0,
Publisher for Windows 95, Publisher 97, Publisher 98, Publisher 2000,
Publisher 2002, Publisher 2003? And if you are running two different
versions, what are they?

Are you running Norton Antivirus?

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Office Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
publisher (1244)
1/27/2004 6:11:08 PM
Publisher 6, Publisher 10, Publisher 11?
If only MS didn't have a knee-jerk marketing methodology!

(smirk)

--
David Bartosik - MS MVP
for Publisher help:

"Brian Kvalheim - [MS MVP]" <publisher@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi gwen (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com),
> in the Microsoft� newsgroups
> you posted:
>
> || We have XP machines and Windows machines. A Publisher file
> || was created in XP and I am unable to open it in Windows.
> || The error message is "You cannot open a file from a
> || different version". I would appreciate any assistance on
> || this issue.
>
> You have a version mess up there in your post! Let's start over.
>
> Which version of Windows are you running? Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows
> 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows NT 4, Windows XP?
>
> Which version of Publisher are you running? Publisher 1.0, Publisher 2.0,
> Publisher for Windows 95, Publisher 97, Publisher 98, Publisher 2000,
> Publisher 2002, Publisher 2003? And if you are running two different
> versions, what are they?
>
> Are you running Norton Antivirus?
>
> --
> Brian Kvalheim
> Microsoft Office Publisher MVP
> Official Publisher MVP Site:
> http://www.kvalheim.org

> confers no rights.

0
dbartosik (185)
1/27/2004 8:31:39 PM
You wouldn't want me to go off on my Windows Millenium Edition and Windows
2000 or Windows XP and Office XP. I had to deal with clients who didn't
understand that ME was NOT 2000 or that Windows XP is NOT Office XP, Pro or
otherwise. ARGH!

It's as if they don't realize that there is a large section of computer
users who just use their systems enough to get that darned nit-picky about
these things. No one got Windows 3.11 confused with Word 5.

"David Bartosik - MS MVP" <dbartosik@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Publisher 6, Publisher 10, Publisher 11?
> If only MS didn't have a knee-jerk marketing methodology!
>
> (smirk)
>
> --
> David Bartosik - MS MVP
> for Publisher help:
> www.davidbartosik.com
> enter to win Pub 2003:
> www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx
>
> "Brian Kvalheim - [MS MVP]" <publisher@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Hi gwen (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com),
> > in the Microsoft� newsgroups
> > you posted:

> > You have a version mess up there in your post! Let's start over.
> >
> > Which version of Windows are you running? Windows 3.1, Windows 95,
Windows
> > 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows NT 4, Windows XP?
> >
> > Which version of Publisher are you running? Publisher 1.0, Publisher
2.0,
> > Publisher for Windows 95, Publisher 97, Publisher 98, Publisher 2000,
> > Publisher 2002, Publisher 2003? And if you are running two different
> > versions, what are they?
> >
> > Are you running Norton Antivirus?
> >
> > --
> > Brian Kvalheim
> > Microsoft Office Publisher MVP
> > Official Publisher MVP Site:
> > http://www.kvalheim.org
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> > confers no rights.

0
jl_amerson (3088)
1/27/2004 8:50:55 PM
After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message
from JL Amerson <JL_Amerson@hotmail.com>...
> It's as if they don't realize that there is a large section of
> computer users who just use their systems enough to get that darned
> nit-picky about these things. No one got Windows 3.11 confused with
> Word 5.

But they did think that Windows Three Hundred And Eleven was better than
Windows Ninety-Five.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6342)
1/27/2004 9:00:03 PM
Oh no! Thank heavens I didn't get into the field until 98 was on it's way
out.

(I've heard that some children have trouble with calling for help in an
emergency. Seems they are looking for the 11 key on a phone because some
people say "Call nine eleven". )

> After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message
> from JL Amerson <JL_Amerson@hotmail.com>...
> > It's as if they don't realize that there is a large section of
> > computer users who just use their systems enough to get that darned
> > nit-picky about these things. No one got Windows 3.11 confused with
> > Word 5.
>
> But they did think that Windows Three Hundred And Eleven was better than
> Windows Ninety-Five.
>
> --
> Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
> http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/
> Before reading this message, view the disclaimer:
> http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm

0
jl_amerson (3088)
1/27/2004 9:13:54 PM
JL Amerson wrote:
> You wouldn't want me to go off on my Windows Millenium Edition and
> Windows 2000 or Windows XP and Office XP. I had to deal with clients
> who didn't understand that ME was NOT 2000 or that Windows XP is NOT
> Office XP, Pro or otherwise. ARGH!
>
> It's as if they don't realize that there is a large section of
> computer users who just use their systems enough to get that darned
> nit-picky about these things. No one got Windows 3.11 confused with
> Word 5.

Or, strangely enough, Office 95 with Windows 95, or Office  2000 with
Windows 2000. Windows 2003, being a server OS only, is (most probably) only
used by folk who know the difference!

I've seen a question like this in the Office Misc group. A bloke posted
asking if he could upgrade Windows XP Pro with the Office XP upgrade - or
did he have to purchase a new OS. Apart from the obvious not knowing the
difference between an OS and an app, it sounds to me as though he'd already
bought it and thought that the reason it wasn't installing (1608 error,
obviously) was because he had the wrong operating system! I'm afraid I
couldn't resist quoting the famous urban legend (you know the one) and that
Dilbert strip of his boss trying to 'reboot' his Etch-a-Sketch!

0
cerridwen (233)
1/28/2004 1:40:51 AM
Could it be that computers are in the hands of casual users now? There was a
time when only the computer-savvy people ever bothered with them.

"Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
> JL Amerson wrote:
> > You wouldn't want me to go off on my Windows Millenium Edition and
> > Windows 2000 or Windows XP and Office XP. I had to deal with clients
> > who didn't understand that ME was NOT 2000 or that Windows XP is NOT
> > Office XP, Pro or otherwise. ARGH!
> >
> > It's as if they don't realize that there is a large section of
> > computer users who just use their systems enough to get that darned
> > nit-picky about these things. No one got Windows 3.11 confused with
> > Word 5.
>
> Or, strangely enough, Office 95 with Windows 95, or Office  2000 with
> Windows 2000. Windows 2003, being a server OS only, is (most probably)
only
> used by folk who know the difference!
>
> I've seen a question like this in the Office Misc group. A bloke posted
> asking if he could upgrade Windows XP Pro with the Office XP upgrade - or
> did he have to purchase a new OS. Apart from the obvious not knowing the
> difference between an OS and an app, it sounds to me as though he'd
already
> bought it and thought that the reason it wasn't installing (1608 error,
> obviously) was because he had the wrong operating system! I'm afraid I
> couldn't resist quoting the famous urban legend (you know the one) and
that
> Dilbert strip of his boss trying to 'reboot' his Etch-a-Sketch!

0
jl_amerson (3088)
read the post, and the many re's,
The group there never gets as lively as this, maybe there is more sympathy?
0
caschatte (53)
1/28/2004 2:41:05 AM
Chris Schatte wrote:
> read the post, and the many re's,
> The group there never gets as lively as this, maybe there is more
> sympathy?

If you play with piranhas....

0
cerridwen (233)
1/28/2004 3:39:04 AM
Yes, you will be eaten.
Luckily or mercifully, some sympathy is shown here, either by reading between the lines or by enjoying the interaction between those more knowledgable than myself and having an enjoyable time while working in the evenings, or days.....
0
caschatte (53)
1/28/2004 4:11:09 AM
Chris Schatte wrote:
> Yes, you will be eaten.
> Luckily or mercifully, some sympathy is shown here, either by reading
> between the lines or by enjoying the interaction between those more
> knowledgable than myself and having an enjoyable time while working
> in the evenings, or days.....

Christopher, may I introduce you to the king piranha? Chris, this is David,
David, Chris. Go easy on him now, won't you?

0
cerridwen (233)
1/28/2004 2:26:08 PM
Yes, they are
I instruct (humbly) continuing ed classes the age range runs from 92 yrs to teens
BTW, the elderly person does not need much help!!!!!
0
caschatte (53)

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

CSV File Problem

Window Redirection?

CFile (delete file)

import a 123 file

open two different Access reports

opening .pst archives

Public Folder link to Excel File

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

Renaming Partial File Names

Money and Windows Mobile 5.0 Devices
I've got a new Windows Mobile 5.0 device and have found that the PPC Money client for Money 2005 will not sync to it. From http://www.microsoft.com/money/MoneyForHandHeldDevices.mspx it appears Money 2004-6 will not sync but it doesn't mention anything about Money 2007...but I can't find a Windows Mobile Client for 2007. Is there anyway to get any version of Money to sync to a Windows Mobile 5.0 device? Thanks, Don Not at present, except by using third party software such as SPB Finance/ -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org See http://money.mvps.or...

opening a .docx with word 2004

printing imported gif files in Excel

unknown .edb file

Effectively stoping open relay.
I have a client who started using exchange 2003 few days back. This client is having more than 12 subnets starting from 172.27.50.0, 172.16.0.0 to 172.27.0.0 and 10.172.172.0 & 10.172.173.0 subnets in different location in town which are conneted by DSL. This users are connecting to the Exchange server 172.16.5.25. Most of these users are POP3 users. I have 2 SMTP Virtual Server running. Default SMTP Virtual server 172.16.5.25 and the second for Externel. In the Mail connector I have added only the external as the local bridgehead server. In the relay properties of the internal I...

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10