can't open pub2000 file in pub2002

I have a bunch of Publisher 2000 files created by someone else on a different
computer.  I'm trying to open them in Publisher 2002 on my Windows ME
computer.
Most of them open but two will not.

I do have Norton AntiVirus, I have already disabled script blocking and
disabled the Microsoft Office Plug-In.  I installed the patch for blocking
the conversion of Wordart.

The two files are 39MB and 44MB, but I've opened a file that was 80MB
without trouble (well, it took a long time, but it opened).

Can you help?
0
eps (2)

Try opening them in safe mode. If they open, rename them, could be the printer
driver. Publisher 2000 saved all the printer information within the files. The
documents could be damaged as well, if they are graphic intensive this could be the
case.
How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198256

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"eps" <eps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a bunch of Publisher 2000 files created by someone else on a different
> computer.  I'm trying to open them in Publisher 2002 on my Windows ME
> computer.
> Most of them open but two will not.
>
> I do have Norton AntiVirus, I have already disabled script blocking and
> disabled the Microsoft Office Plug-In.  I installed the patch for blocking
> the conversion of Wordart.
>
> The two files are 39MB and 44MB, but I've opened a file that was 80MB
> without trouble (well, it took a long time, but it opened).
>
> Can you help?

0
gsauer (5093)
11/13/2004 9:48:09 AM
Well, I followed the instructions in the kbdoc you mentioned, but still no
luck.  When I tried the last step (attempt to recover the text in your
publication), I got a "Publisher cannot complete the operation" message, then
the "Publisher cannot open the file" message.  Unless you have any other
suggestions, I guess I'll have to give up on these two.

We were really trying to find out what was different about them, so the
author could avoid doing whatever was making them not open on my system.

Thanks anyway for your help.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Try opening them in safe mode. If they open, rename them, could be the printer
> driver. Publisher 2000 saved all the printer information within the files. The
> documents could be damaged as well, if they are graphic intensive this could be the
> case.
> How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198256
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://www.msauer.mvps.org/
> "eps" <eps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a bunch of Publisher 2000 files created by someone else on a different
> > computer.  I'm trying to open them in Publisher 2002 on my Windows ME
> > computer.
> > Most of them open but two will not.
> >
> > I do have Norton AntiVirus, I have already disabled script blocking and
> > disabled the Microsoft Office Plug-In.  I installed the patch for blocking
> > the conversion of Wordart.
> >
> > The two files are 39MB and 44MB, but I've opened a file that was 80MB
> > without trouble (well, it took a long time, but it opened).
> >
> > Can you help?

0
eps (2)

Does WMP 12 have File, View, etc on the top?
I have Windows 7 and (I guess) Windows Media Player 12. I was trying to find which version I have and someone said I should check Help, then About (as with almost every other software program) - but there is no Help up on top and no File, View etc. like the Media Player on my XP box. So... is there something missing on my Media Player 12, as I suspect, and if so, do I uninstall it (how?) and reinstall it? Or are there no drop down menus on Media Player 12? Thanks for any light you can shed on this mystery Robert press the ctrl and M keys simultaneously and the menu bar shou...

Windows users cannot open attachments created in Office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I "upgraded" [HA!] from Office 2004 to Office 2008 in January. I soon discovered that Windows users could not open Word files I created (regardless of whether I saved them as .doc or .docx, and regardless of their ability to open .docx files.) I don't remember how I fixed the problem, and it's happening in Excel too. I wasted several hours trying to find a fix and I can't. Mac users can open the .xls file I sent, but Windows users can't. I had no trouble uploading the files to a Windows network d...

Automatically opening in compatibility mode
I created a new .dotx file in word 2007. When I go to use it in word 2007, it automatically opens in compatibility mode which makes the active x control features like drop downs not work. How can I make it open without being in compatibility mode? Compatibility mode is for Word 97-2003 templates and documents, only. I suspect what you are seeing is files opening in *Design* mode. You can turn it off by clicking the button on the Developer tab, but note that macro security forces Design mode. Rather than reducing the security level, I'd advise against using ActiveX con...

Microsoft outlook open
When I try to open Outlook (Office 2007)(via start menu) I get a dialog box saying 'cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open Outlook window'. I do not get a program restore option when I try to use 'Microsoft office tools" as I don't get the 'application recovery' option showing. Thanks Ian Did Outlook ever open? Can you open it using the command line option - start->run->outlook.exe /safe? Note the space after the .exe and before the / -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact...

pst files and VPN issues
I'm looking for suggestions on how to configure .pst files for remote users who access a network using VPN. Due to the large size of these files (often over a gigabyte), Outlook's performance is seriously affected and often freezes during the archive process. What are your company's polices for remote users accessing .pst files and is there a way short of saving them locally to access them without affecting Outlook's performance? If the .pst has to be stored and backed up locally, does anyone have security advice for protecting .pst files with sensitive material? Encrypted f...

File List Folder Outlook 2003
Hi, I found an article which describes how to setup a folder to view any file system folder in Outlook 2002. I can't find any equivalent in Outlook 2003. Basically I just want to have an Outlook 2003 folder named something like "my files" and have its address pointing to a mapped drive. I have tried setting up a "home page" location on a folder, but it only works for web addresses, not file systems. Thanks in advance. Regards, Troy At the bottom of the Navigation pane, you should have buttons for Folder List, Shortcuts, etc. Select the Folder List button. Op...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

Excel menus are locked when opening an XLS file using IE
A financial website (www.investors.com) is publishing daily an Excel spreadsheet. When I click on the link, Internet Explorer asks me whether I want to save the file or open the file. When I choose "Open" the Excel file shows up nicely in my browser ... the IE menus change to Excel menus. Problem: I can only use the File menu choices; the other menus are LOCKED. Why? I'm using Office XP on Windows 2000 Professional. At work I'm using Office 2002 and things work fine. Is this an Office XP issue, or is ther somewhere a setting that I have to teak? Any help is mu...

How to retrieve number of files
What's the correct way to retrieve the number of jpg files in a directory? Do I have to loop through each file, in order to count them up? >What's the correct way to retrieve the number of jpg files in a directory? >Do I have to loop through each file, in order to count them up? Yes - use FindFirstFile (or CFileFind) to filter on *.jpg and loop/count them. Dave Yes. use ::FindFirstFile/::FindNextFile/::FindClose or use the CFileFind class of MFC. joe On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 01:59:12 -0800, Charles Tam <CharlesTam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What's the ...

Drawers pops open on Credit Cards
Hello, Im using Star SP100 printers and using the Windows drivers in which I have the Open Drawer 1 option selected. Unfortunatelly, the drawer pops open on all payment types and the client wants the drawers to pop open only on Cash. I hope I dont have to get OPOS drawers..... Any ideas? Thank you in advance. Manager | Database | Tender types , uncheck pop cash drawer for all tender types you don't want the drawer to open for. Craig "Phil V" <PhilV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4852B778-69A3-4A0A-886D-1872F2A9A98A@microsoft.com... > Hello, ...

how to automate exporting excel worksheet to csv file
Looking for a way to create a macro or script to export the contents of an excel spreadsheet ( 6columns) to an ASCII comma separated file. I would like to be able to script this to run weekly. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:23:43 -0500, "Bob" <rpl-erroroneous@goldengate.net> wrote in microsoft.public.excel.misc: >Looking for a way to create a macro or script to export the contents of an >excel >spreadsheet ( 6columns) to an ASCII comma separated file. >I would like to be able to script this to run weekly. With VBA, I would do it this way: someWorkBook.SaveAs Fil...

Reset Autofilter when opening a workbook
Hi all, Is it possible to reset the autofilter when opening (or closing) a workbook. The problem is: Row C must stay the autofilter. (and the sheet is password protected) Does someone has an anser for this problem? Thank you. Berry If you already have the outline/subtotals/autofilter applied, you can protect the worksheet in code (auto_open/workbook_open??). Option Explicit Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True '.EnableOutlining = True .EnableAutoFilter = True If .FilterMod...

passing a nodeset into an xslt file.
hi all. i've been trying to pass a nodelist (!=nodeset??) from my c# application to some xsl transform to use. the xsl code is as follows: <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" exclude-result-prefixes="extern msxsl local xql" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt" xmlns:local="#local-functions" xmlns:xql="#xql-functions" xmlns:extern="urn:dottraffic:lnk"> <xsl:template match="/"> <span>1 <xsl:variable name="rrr" select="exte...

Compare two files and output results to third
I am trying to read a list of fields from one file, then compare them to a list in a second file. If the field I am comparing is the same, it reads a second field from the second file and then output the contents of the first file and then second field from the second file. For example, first file has three rows: A, B, C, D E, F, G, H Q, R, S, D Second file has two rows: D, 5 H, 1 When I run my script, I should get the following output: A, B, C, D, 5 E, F, G, H, 1 Q, R, S, D, 5 But what I am getting is: A, B, C, D E, F, G, H, 1 Q, R, S, D Here is the...

Re: combine multiple excel file in to one excel file and multiple worksheet
I am wanting to use the following code to combine worksheets from multiple files. However I would like to be able to select folder which contains files in a more automated way that having to change the code every time, and also copy all worksheets with links and formulas removed. Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I have limited code knowledge. Option Explicit > Sub Copy_them() > > Dim TargetWkbk As Workbook > Dim mrgWkbk As Workbook > > Dim i As Long > Dim Wks As Worksheet > Dim fName As String > > Application.ScreenUpdating = F...

Installation--broken or missing win.ini file
I have a new Dell XPS Studio 13 with Windows 7. I purchased Outlook 2007 separately. It worked fine for a month or so, then for no discernible reason I got a message "can't open Outlook Window." I looked for help online, but couldn't find anything on this for Windows 7. So I uninstalled and tried to re-install. However, during the re-install, I got a message that there is a missing or broken win.ini file, and the installation won't work. Any help appreciated. Please note that I am not a techie, so please keep responses as simple as possible (and ple...

Access 2000 File Format in Access 2003
Dear all, If I'm using Access 2003 to create Access 2000 format, is there any new feature in Access 2003 which I can't apply in Access 2000 file ? Thx. Vensia On Wed, 9 May 2007 14:20:23 +0700, "Vensia" <vensia2000_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote: >Dear all, > >If I'm using Access 2003 to create Access 2000 format, is there any new >feature in Access 2003 which I can't apply in Access 2000 file ? >Thx. there are many; however, are you deploying to users with Access 2000, or with Access 2003? The default format for your database is (normally) 200...

Office for Mac apps will not open
After one year of use my Office for Mac applications will not open. Error message cites "not enough memory" but Apple confirms memory is fine. Any ideas? No, but there is an Office for Mac forum in these communities, called office.public.mac. Perhaps someone there can help-- -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit. "Chuck" <Chuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E25F410-5DA4-4E86-9D46-C491818B2FF4@microsoft.com... > After one year of use my Office for Mac applications will not open. Error >...

Outlook nonresponding when opening email w attachment
I can open emails unless they have an attachment. If there is an attachment, double clicking or right clicking the email causes Outlook to go into nonresponding mode requiring shutting down Outlook with Task Manager and rebooting. I am using Win XP professional with Office XP 2002. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks Pete. I'am having the same problems, please let me know if you find a solution. Warry. Op Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:41:23 -0800 schreef "Pete" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>: >I can open emails unless they have an attachment. If >there is a...

error opening up SOP Short History Invoice Form
Trying to use the SOP Short History Invoice Form instead of the blank one, but each time I selected it I get an error. "Cannot access this report because the dictionary containing it is not loaded" I'm on GP 8.00g44. Pete, Make sure you are not looking for a mdified report. someone might have modified the SOP Short History Invoice Form and given you acces to it. If you do not have the modifed report dictionary locally, or have permisions to see it on a shared drive, you will recieve this message. If your company is running Manufacturing for Great Plains, check to see i...

Opening new files
Hello, I am using Excel 2000 (Windows Me). I would like to know how to open a file or worksheet in new window i.e. every file I open must apear in new window. Currently when I open a file it is being opened in the same window. Please help. Thank you. *CPP* ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ While working on a file; if you try to open a new file from excel then it will be opened in the same window. But if you find the file and double click on the file, ...

Error messages and disabled 2000 Access dbs when opening them in 2007 Access
Just installed the upgrade from Professional 2000 to Professional 2007. Am not happy with the results - especially Access. I posted the following complaint about Access on the microsoft.public.office.misc and was told I needed to post it in an Access group. Not sure this is the right group. 2007 Access will not open any of my 2000 Access databases without a stream of error messages first and then will not allow me in through the switchboard without enabling it for only **1** session!! Only after working through/closing about 1/2 dozen error messages am I able to get to a "Secur...

Unable to open file
When attempting to open an Excel 2000 spreadsheet I receive the following error message: "Unable to read file." I am looking for any and all suggestions to try before going to a backup copy of the file. Thank you, -- Where is file located? Floppy, HD, Network? "Matthew" <mkuch3@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:52fb01c37d30$267f8760$a501280a@phx.gbl... : When attempting to open an Excel 2000 spreadsheet I : receive the following error message: : "Unable to read file." : I am looking for any and all suggestions to try before : going to a backup cop...

Microsoft 2003 Error Message: cannot read file
I was using Microsoft 99. Recently upgraded to Microsoft 2003. When I try to open money.mny I get the following message: Money cannot locate 'C:\Documents_and_Settings\MyDocuments\Money\Money.m ny' or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent backup file. If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other application and click OK to try again. 1...

How can I link information between 2 Excel files?
In my business- I type many proposals in a day to my customers. I have the proposal form as well as my address book saved as Excel files. Is there a way to link my address book to my proposal so information such as address, phone #, and etc are automatically imput? Easily accomplished. Enter a formula in the desired cells on your proposal that reads like this: ='[AddressBook.xls]Sheet1'!$B$3 Do this for each field and make sure to include the full path name to your address book xls file. (ie: c:\Microsoft\Excel\AddressBook.xls) in the formula. -- Regards... "Sarahbkel...