Can't open files on more than one computer

     I created a template file of a Christmas card for My class, but when I
tried to open the template on more that one computer at a time I received a
error message. The error was telling me that the file was in use by another
computer and would not open. I thought that was the reason I created the
template file in the first place but I Guess I was wrong. Having told the
children that we were going to make a Christmas card I needed to come up with
a solution to this problem so I saved the card on a disk and went around the
room and opened the file and to save time I made three copy’s of the disk so
I could open it on three computers at once. So after some quick running
around the room all the kids had there Christmas cards open and we started
working. The kids typed their personal messages into the cards and after they
were finished we tried to save their work on the server but the files would
not save without the disk being in the drive. Now this seems easy enough just
put the disk back in on each computer and save the files. A bit slow but not
a big problem right? Well when I tried to save the file with the disk in I
found that I needed to have the same disk I had opened the file with in the
drive having made three of these and having 20 computers in our lab It took
me a long time to save all there files. Please I need a better way to do
this. I would like to simply make a template on the server and have all the
kids open a copy and save it under a different name.
0
Techteach (1)

Techteach <Techteach@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard
to utter:
>     I created a template file of a Christmas card for My class, but
> when I tried to open the template on more that one computer at a time
> I received a error message. The error was telling me that the file
> was in use by another computer and would not open. I thought that was
> the reason I created the template file in the first place but I Guess
> I was wrong.

Publisher templates are a little misleading.  They are merely Publisher
files which Publisher has indexed as being a template.  They are only
templates on the computer(s) that have them saved as such.  When you open
the files themselves, they will always open as the original document, rather
than a new document based on the template.

The way to accomplish what you desire is to have each student copy the
master template file from the server to the local hard drive and edit the
file there.  Publisher does not like saving directly to/from network drives,
it can often lead to file corruption.  Ditto removeable media.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6342)
12/14/2005 10:36:59 PM
Publisher does not work well on a network. If your students can save locally and then
copy the results to the server you will not experience this issue.
Copy the template to the local drive as well.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Techteach" <Techteach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>     I created a template file of a Christmas card for My class, but when I
> tried to open the template on more that one computer at a time I received a
> error message. The error was telling me that the file was in use by another
> computer and would not open. I thought that was the reason I created the
> template file in the first place but I Guess I was wrong. Having told the
> children that we were going to make a Christmas card I needed to come up with
> a solution to this problem so I saved the card on a disk and went around the
> room and opened the file and to save time I made three copy's of the disk so
> I could open it on three computers at once. So after some quick running
> around the room all the kids had there Christmas cards open and we started
> working. The kids typed their personal messages into the cards and after they
> were finished we tried to save their work on the server but the files would
> not save without the disk being in the drive. Now this seems easy enough just
> put the disk back in on each computer and save the files. A bit slow but not
> a big problem right? Well when I tried to save the file with the disk in I
> found that I needed to have the same disk I had opened the file with in the
> drive having made three of these and having 20 computers in our lab It took
> me a long time to save all there files. Please I need a better way to do
> this. I would like to simply make a template on the server and have all the
> kids open a copy and save it under a different name.

0
gsauer (5093)

Importing a Lotus file with a *.123 extension
My company uses Excel 97 and 2000 and we've received a Lotus file with a *.123 extension. Excel will not allow me to open it as it does not have the *.wk? format. I searched the web and while I found numerous people with the same problem I found no one who had the conversion answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Find someone with Lotus ver 9 or higher. Have them open the file, and save it as *.wk4 If you dont have Lotus available and want you can send it to me and I will do it for you Thanks "jim" <jimsto@gorbel.com> wrote in message news:088d01c35...

Navigation Bars
I put Navigation bars on my publisher website document. When I try to publish to a file or to the web, the Navigation Bars do not appear on the page(s). How do I resolve this?? Answer found in the web group. DavidF "Tom Snyder" <Tom Snyder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A55B689-FE9D-4E1E-9B6C-3ED571156D46@microsoft.com... >I put Navigation bars on my publisher website document. When I try to >publish > to a file or to the web, the Navigation Bars do not appear on the page(s). > How do I resolve this?? Tony, did you get an answer to this...

When I am in one cell highlight another
Hello, When I am in one cell highlight another. Lets say that if my cursor is in A1 I want D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. Then if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. Thank you for your help, Jose Juan Diaz hi, Jose Juan ! > When I am in one cell highlight another > ... if my cursor is in A1... D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. > ... if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. 'put' a cursor on non-active-cell... [I don't think it's possible] :( to highlight 'D' wh...

Data Files
If I split up my one data file in outlook into two, does it make outlook run faster? what if i put all my archive in one .pst file and then removed from outlook? i would only add it to outlook once a month to clean up and archive things. would that make outlook run faster? the real question i have is does it matter whether i temporarily remove the archive .pst file from outlook to make it run faster? thanks jim A smaller .pst will allow Outlook to run faster. If you empty your deleted items folder and then archive olds messages, it creates an archive.pst file. Remember, you can open any ...

PNG files not displayed
Help! I have a problem where PNG files I insert into Publisher aren't correctly displayed. The image place-holder is visible, but no image. Other graphics file-types are fine, but not PNG's. Another user with identical hardware and software can view the same PNG's without problems. I've tried resintalling Office and service packs with no success. However, when printing the publication, the PNG graphics are produced with no problems. I'm running Office 2003 sp 1. Thanks in advance! Casey. Casey <Casey@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utte...

Problem to open excel file
Hi to all, I have a problem with all excel file. The user can't open all excel file when she did a double click on it. She has this error message : "cannot find the file 'c:\documents and settings\desktop\......test.xls' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct. And that all required libraries are available" Do you know what can I do to solve the issue?? regards Malcolm Your Excel file association may be lost. Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to en...

Excel is creating temp files Help!!!
Hi i have to files in excel, i cant figure it out, whenever i open th files, they create temp files into the same location, when i shut dow the program the temp files are left there. Is their a way to make it so temp files are not saved. Or is their a way to make it so that the creation of temp files i turned off. Thanks jaso -- greenfalco ----------------------------------------------------------------------- greenfalcon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1362 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26182 What do th...

How Do I Copy My Outlook Files To My New Computer?
I exported my Outlook files from my old computer and burned them to a CD. During the export process, it asked me three times for a password. When I tried to import these files to my new computer I got "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file." Can anyone help? Apart from the fact that Import/Export options often lead to corruption - you should use a simple pst copy - The pst needs to be on the hd and the read only flag off, before In OL attempting to open it. NB not import <aprice6@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1145746658.84...

How to filter to show only one message from a specific sender/subject
I would like to filter out all but one email with the same subject line from a specific sender. I subscribe to a message board that sends an email every time a posting is made to a thread, instead of just the first posting after I have read the thread. Is there a way for filter out the duplicate messages and just keep the oldest email? Thanks, Brian ...

Cannot open outlook at all
I have never used outlook, Now I was told that is better to forward all my e-mail addresses to outlook but the problem is that I cannot even open outlook. a popup window comes on and this is what it says... Unable to display the folder. Microsoft outlook could not access the specified folder location. The DLL file for the information service could not be found. MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX. DLL. Be sure the service is correctly installed and configured. Please I really need help. thank you very much, Alicia Origel See if the information in the following MS...

Pivot table fields missing on all computers
I have Excel 2007 installed on two computers. I also have Excel 2010 beta installed on one of the computers. I am unable to create a pivot table on ANY of them. None will show the field list. All copies of Excel work fine in all other aspects. I have searched the net for solutions and found many others have the same problem but few suggestions to fix it. Many questions never got any response at all. I did find a reference to try removing the .xlb file from the XLStart folder. I did, with no results. I have done all the proper show/hide clicks. I even tried using the ...

Using XP Briefcase with money file

Help with automating file name
I have the following code that exports the below query to excell. I would like the files name to include the month and date. How would I format this? DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "qryShopOrderSqFtShippedSummaryExport",_ acFormatXLS, "W:\Cokato\Production\ProdRoomRpt.xls" -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200708/1 Hi, Matt. > I would > like the files name to include the month and date. Uh, . . . the date _always_ includes the month, unless you're r...

Can you delete and empty an open email

outlook adreddbook file
I want to export the addressbook flie into database to be uses in a quiry. is it possible and how do i do it? Outlook has no separate "address book file." Contact data is stored in your Contacts Folder Use the Export Wizard to export it to the format that best suits your needs. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Helpneeded" <derontayp@aol.com> wrote in message news:261e01c3af79$7d94e740$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I want to export the addressbook flie into database to be > uses in a quiry. is it possible and how do i do it? ...

Contact file not visible when importing or exporting contacts
I'm tidying up all my contacts files for email and also for my mobile ph using outlook. Have done this many times without any problems and am familiar with import export process. I exported all the contacts to an excel file to work on as it's much easier than through outlook. Had a hiccup at first as when I got to the select a contact file to export there was just a blank space. I exited outlook and went back in and it was all OK. Now I've finished the excel spreadhsheet and want to reimport it but it's the same problem in reverse. I can't "see" a co...

Force command to run for each computer in txt file list of compute
I have a few hundred computers that haven't been defragged in years. I was wondering if rather than doing it manually, if someone had a script where if i just put all the computer names in a txt file, it would iterate through the list and perform a "defrag c: -f" on them all from my workstation. The workstations all have the same local administrator password, so the process would be the same for each. I just dont know how to write scripts. I know if i were going to do this manually from my computer I would run the command below for each ComputerName psexec ...

How to remove the /dde from Windows Explorer File Open on Install
I have an MDI app that I would like to open a file on a double click in Windows Explorer. Unfortunately the Explorer File Type (Tools>Folder Options... File Types tab) is set so that the command invokes dde. Ie. The "open" option under the "Advanced" button is C:\Path...\App.exe /dde and the DDE message is [open("%1")]. This never seems to work as my app never sees the dde message and the initialization of m_pCmdInfo via: m_pCmdInfo = (CCommandLineInfo*)(UINT_PTR)m_nCmdShow; sets the pointer to one and the app fails on exit. This is referred as a kn...

Problem with printing listbox bigger than one page
Hi, I created form "Invoice". It contains few list boxes (like: Brand, Product, Price, etc.). Each list box is big enough to display 50 items. It works in this way: user is chosing product from table Products_tbl and clicks on "Add to invoice" button which adds to each list box new item containg apropriate information about chosen product. At the end, user can print the form. Before it was limited, and user could put max. 50 products on one invoice, but I wanted to get rid of this limitation. I did it in this way: after 50th item, with each added product I extend list boxe...

Combine part of text from one col to another
I'm trying to combine only part of a string from one column with all th text of another column. For instance I want to create usernames to log into a network. If col has Bill and col2 has Smith I want to get just the B from col1 an combine it with col2 to make smithb in a new column. Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this: -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== =B1&LEFT(A1) "epac135 >" <...

Open web page from Word 2007
I have the following code to open a web page: Dim IE Set IE = CreateObject("internetexplorer.application") mySTR = "http://MyWebPage" IE.Navigate mySTR The code works if I run it from vba - it opens the page on top of Word. But if I assign it to a QAT or Ribbon button, it opens the page but leaves it minimized. How can I get it to open on top of Word? ...

Importing One Period
Our company operates on a 13 period year instead of 12 months. However, the budget import process appears to be the same for periods or months. We would like to import a budget for just period 13. We tried leaving blanks in the period 1 - 12 accounts in excel and imported to a test company and that deleted all budgets, we also tried zeros, which did as we expected, inserted zeros. The budget file used to import existing budgets for periods 1 -12 has become corrupt and we do not have a backup for this file. In this file, we created formulas that allow us to use %'s to update ...